Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: Flex and Fromes.
Speaker 3: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 4: Answer me, this will riddle me this. Why does being a better person feel like performance art? It feels phony, it feels insincere, it feels disingenuous, and I'm concerned that it's actually ineffective. I only say this because I found myself in a situation the other day. I try to be quite forgiving of people who are flaky or late, because I want to be forgiven when I am flaky or late.
Speaker 1: Such is life.
Speaker 4: You do unto others what you'd like done unto you. And I was in a situation where I was going to the movies with a friend and we had a small window of time to eat and then go see a movie. And with the way that things had gone, we were going to be late.
Speaker 3: Dumplings and Oppenheimer, No, okay, carry on.
Speaker 4: But like, I'm not opposed to it at all, And so I don't mind when we push back the meeting time or whatever. But because they'd push back the meeting time, we're now late. Now I'm hungry, We're going to the cinema. It just wasn't great, and I could understand, like it was a miscommunication of meat up locations. It was all avoidable, but all quite understandable. It wasn't like, what's the what I'm looking for?
Speaker 3: Malicious?
Speaker 4: It wasn't malicious on their part. This stuff happens like you're in traffic that uber is late, but I could feel the irritation bubbling under you. Yeah, And usually the area's characteristic is like prone to anger or whatever.
Speaker 1: I'm prone to irritation.
Speaker 4: And I get worried when I get irritated because it just starts to bubble, and I don't know where it's gonna go. Is it going to bubble and suppress or bubble and turn into moodiness.
Speaker 2: This is like rutable bowl syndrome of the soul. It could bubble, we could do a diarrhea moment, or perhaps it could get clogged up and hit you in a different kind of way girlies.
Speaker 4: And so I just knew when I got their new ETA, I had that much time to get over it, like that much time. And so I was going through the roller deck of just tools like it had happens. It's okay, it wasn't personal. They didn't mean it. It's happened to you too. I literally had to do gymnastics, mental gymnastics, and by the time they got there, I hadn't gotten over it.
Speaker 2: And now you've tried all the methods, you think this is insurmountable.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, let's do a hug, and I'm like trying to get into the hug, but I'm like seething, and I'm like, you're better than.
Speaker 1: This, babe. It's all good.
Speaker 4: And eventually I did get over it because I was like, I want to enjoy, I want to have fun, and I don't think they could tell how much I was trying to suppress. So I did all the right performance art things, but by the end of it, I had to question if I had to do all of that not to be pissed off at a very acceptable slight.
Speaker 1: Is there much to celebrate?
Speaker 3: So you say being a better person isn't worth it?
Speaker 1: Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 2: I'm just curious, this is what I was getting. What are we saying as a society. Let's check the barometer what's being said. Do you understand what I'm saying? Have you felt something similar? Or am I on my own? Am I on a ship of anger and irritation on my loansome. Give me the log line like ten words again.
Speaker 3: What you're trying to say, if you.
Speaker 4: Have to coach yourself into the acceptable response, do you deserve it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is that anything to feel good about it?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay, I'm with you one hundred percent. Let's take since we do like to talk about cycles, let's take that into account for just just minstrel cycles, right, just for my own personal experience. So, got my period recently, first time in many many years. Too, I'm getting sore breasts for one week earlier. Correct, The breasts are far like aching babes. They like they're ripping off my damn body and I'm wearing like compression bras and it's not helping every step I take, they're not even moving.
Speaker 4: But this like they know, okay, okay, subtle flex they're not even moving.
Speaker 2: Because they're strapped in it. Because they're strapped in And I also notice why am I feeling sad?
Speaker 3: I have just got it yesterday? I was crying okay.
Speaker 2: Now by a breakdown?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it like a genuine actual breakdown.
Speaker 2: Shout out to pre flop if this was like the flop was about to hit hardcore. In fact, I think when you're this was actual flop, because I don't flop during when the periods coming. I'm chilling, oh, pre periods, a PMS moment.
Speaker 1: Oh, and so I'll.
Speaker 2: Say in those moments, Oh god, guys, I feel like a load's just taken off my body because I was so upset yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you know.
Speaker 4: And this is why I advocate if you are currently menstruating, you're doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't track your own cycle. I'm not saying you learn the terms for generalized conversation. Understand where is your flop in your cycle? Because you're guaranteed if you've got a regular cycle, that half of it is a floppy state. You get between three to five days of feeling your best.
Speaker 1: Don't waste it.
Speaker 3: Why am I waking up with a headache?
Speaker 2: I go on the blow out and says you might experience a headache today, Yeah, a little twinge in the back.
Speaker 1: You might've tne that pain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it knows, guys, And it's not because that app knows.
Speaker 3: It's because your body knows.
Speaker 1: Your body knows.
Speaker 4: Don't This is what I was saying a couple of weeks ago. Don't be above basic experiences. Knowing about your mental cycle feels kind of basic because you've had it for ten fifteen years of your life. It's not basic. You are literally shooting yourself in the ankle and then stepping on where your spine connects to your neck that bit every time you don't think about the basics that make your body.
Speaker 2: Function, because at the end of the day, we are humans.
Speaker 4: It sounds condescending when someone's like, in a response, you're saying you have a headache, Oh, did you drink water?
Speaker 1: But you haven't? You haven't They know?
Speaker 2: Point being is okay, yeah, no, okay. I say that's to say yes, I think it's always good to try and be better, even if it's not going to be appreciated, because every time you do something good, I think, oh, you feel.
Speaker 4: Good until you don't exactly, But I commended myself on the process. In a different life, I would have just been annoyed, and then that person would have had to be accountable for a mistake they didn't intend to make, and then my irritation on top, which is just not helpful.
Speaker 2: Like my twelve English teacher said, a life unexamined is a life not worth living.
Speaker 3: Still not sure what.
Speaker 4: I feel like a philosopher said that first, which I feel like it was like Seneca, Socrates, Plato, which is the other guy.
Speaker 1: That wasn't a direct quote from the English teacher.
Speaker 2: No, they didn't source that from the throat from the guy I said, M.
Speaker 3: I love that you've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 2: For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.