Speaker 1: Laura come on Monday, is here, Welcome and pick up everybody, ill things in Chemistlare has a great savings every day. What a day it is, Oscar's.
Speaker 2: Day ninety fifth Oscars not any Oscar fifth and the first Oscar posts. Will smith S slap famous Slackgate.
Speaker 1: Posted the Oscars in LA today and we're going to unwrap them coming up later on the show.
Speaker 3: But I think the more unwrapped them.
Speaker 1: You can't unslap once you've been slapped slap Gate And there's a heated debate going on here at the pickup as whether or not he should all.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, Lady Gaga also performed absolutely incredible. Big fans of Lady Gaga here.
Speaker 3: Very stripped back, very peared back appearance and everything. I've got some feels going to learn on therazing.
Speaker 1: Just a T shirt all right now. Next on the show, we have a very interesting guest someone that I mean I hadn't heard of him, Brett Connellen. He is the survivor of a shark attack here in Australia, vicious shark attack. He's got a new documentary out on stand and I mean it's a it's something you don't hear you don't hear this story very often, so we'll ask him all about it. He's joining us next at the Pickup around Australia. It's the pick Up via Monday Afternoon right around the country. Here at Kiss with Britt, Laura and Mitch. She got Blackmore's executive beat Stress Formulas two fifties available now at Chemist Warehouse for just forty seven ninety nine. Always read the label and follow the directions for use.
Speaker 3: We're doing something.
Speaker 2: A little bit different this time, guys. Now, you guys might know something about me. I used to in my younger years, was an avid surfer and I used to travel all around the world surfing. I had some really close encounters with sharks in my time. I had to get out in Tasmania of a surf colmp because there was a huge great white there. I've had some pretty close calls. But there's a new documentary out that has got me just on the edge of my seat. It's called Attacking Life, and it's a documentary about Brett Connellan who survived a shark attack. And we have him on the line right now. Brett, Hi, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Brett.
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, thanks for having me nice to be here.
Speaker 1: Where do we start?
Speaker 2: What made you? What made you want to put this story, this crazy story into a documentary.
Speaker 4: I had a lot of people tell me to write a book, and I thought I'd do something a little bit different. And I've always been interested in films, So the documentary made a lot of sense to me, telling it the way that I wanted to be told, but then also having something that's valuable, because I think if I told it to rite at the start and it started to just be about the attack.
Speaker 3: Brett, you were only twenty three when this happened, so it was seven years ago that you were attacked by a shark. Can you tell us what happened on that day?
Speaker 4: It was a regular day for me. I went for a surf that afternoon, just to wash off the day that I'd had at work, and I was just working with one of my good friends, Joel, and that's really where it all changed. So I was just sitting out the back waiting for the next set. I was just sitting there admiring sunset when it all happened, and it hit me from the right side with immense force, threw me off my board and before I could even figure out what had happened. I looked down as a shark biting my leg and that's that moment where you know what was probably only five seconds probably of actually been bitten by this shark, but for me, it felt like five minutes. And it's such a You have all those those imprints from that moment because you're taking sunlight information, things like you know the feel of the shark's skin, the lack of sound, the look in its eyes that stick with me. I mean again, I was as unlucky as you can be in that moment, incredibly lucky, lucky to have Joel actually surfing with me that afternoon. He heard my screens for help and decided to paddle towards the danger. I'm not something that you know is going to be the response until you confronted with that saved my life that afternoon.
Speaker 2: I mean, I lost a friend a few years ago, now many years ago. He was my abor and a friend. He was actually eaten by a shark on these coast of Australia as well. Did you you know this saying that the shark that's going to attack you you don't see like because if they've let you see them they're more inquisitive and they're cruising around and they say, either shark that actually wants to attack you comes from underneath and you don't see it. So did you not even clock that there was a shark out there that day?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know, I think a lot of people have the you know, the jaws recount of what a shark attack should be like and you see the fin approaching you through the water, and it's not like that at all. One thing that I've gained from my experience is a lot of respect for sharks and just how good they are at what they do. And I know that's a strange way to gain that respect, but that's something that we really hope to include a movie as well.
Speaker 3: Rat What sort of injuries did you get from this?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 4: I lost three quarters of my left cord muscle, the biggest muscle in our body. It's one that's responsible for straightening our legout as we moved forward. So for me, losing that large chunk of muscle is going to cause significant challenges in order to just walk again, to be active, and then to obviously get back in the water and surf again. And that was the motivator trying to prove the doctor's wrong. And to be able to have the leg in the first place and not having it amputated is one thing. To be able to survive is another thing. But to be where I am today and have a fully functioning leg, it takes a lot of work to go into that.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, if you want to get that documentary, guys, it's available now on stan Attacking Life. A very interesting story that not many live to be able to tell. So Brett canell and thanks for coming on the pick up. Thanks Brett, thanks for having me stand by next the ninety fifth Annual Oscars going down in Los Angeles. We've got all the goss, all the glits, all the glimmer and we'll unpack it on the pick up next Monday. On the pick up, this is kiss right around Australia. Britt, Laura and Mitch here thanks to chemists warehouse, great savings every day. Now listen, guys, it's Oscar's day. What a day.
Speaker 3: I feel like everybody here was hooked to the TV and in the what do you call that the office?
Speaker 1: Everyone?
Speaker 3: I guess he's not getting an Oscar.
Speaker 1: Laura, but all those things that people are sitting on Jess were.
Speaker 3: In the office. Everyone was like, oh, hanging around the TV not doing any work, watching the Oscar.
Speaker 2: Because the Oscars is a big event, and it's the first year post the slap Gate.
Speaker 1: It is celebrating all the big moments in cinema. Slapgate was last year was Smith fifth and Quith Rock and with a really upsetting moment for so many Fifth Now.
Speaker 2: Well, it's an upsetting moment here is today for some of us. Not Mitch or I spoiler, but Laura Burn's upset that it was meant. Jimmy Kimore mentioned it in his feet.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not upset. So Jimmy Kimmel, he hosted the Oscars this year, did a brilliant job. I just think that they could have gotten through the whole thing, through the whole awards ceremony and not mentioned Slapgate. I feel like we've done it, We've spoken about it, and I just think it was the low hanging fruit of comedy. This is what he had to say about it.
Speaker 5: If anyone in this theater commits an act of violence at any point during the show, you will be awarded the Oscar for Best Actor and permitted to give a nineteen minute long speech now, But seriously, the Academy has a crisis team in place. If anything unpredictable or violent happens during the ceremony, just do what you did last year. Nothing.
Speaker 3: I disagree.
Speaker 2: I think it would be a travesty to have let this one slid on by. I think it had to be mentioned. There had to be a nod the first big event, and it's the elephant in the room.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like us doing the show and not talking about how horrific Britney's laugh is like, we have.
Speaker 3: To Heavens forbid we let that happen. Well, we almost got through an entire show without talking about it, and you slid it in.
Speaker 1: It was literally the biggest moment from last year they had to talk about slap gike.
Speaker 3: I think it was just a very easy joke to make.
Speaker 1: He should have come out in like boxing headgear, just like a head helmet, like a padded helmet. That would have been really fun.
Speaker 3: He's just on the whole entire show with two security guards standing on our head. Yes, you know.
Speaker 1: It's also a weird ceremony because Lady Gaga performed, and people are a bit confused online because we saw her on the red carpet, arrived to the double looking one million dollars gorgeous gown, and then she gets up to perform halfway through the show and she's in a T shirt and jeans from j J.
Speaker 2: No makeup because she was on the red carpet with like beautiful makeup, impeccable red lip, and then she had nothing. She took everything off, she stripped it back.
Speaker 1: She was just in a T shirt.
Speaker 2: I think it's a real power move because it's really like, I don't need a single thing because I'm that talented. My voice does it all for me.
Speaker 1: That's what I think.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, Britt. I think that like her presence on stage, she has the most incredible it's unbelievable her voice, and that she gets this standing ovation. But it was the most simple performance it was. I mean, it was a really beautiful and paired back. There was no lighting, there was no like fancy kind of distractions. It was just her and her singing, and it was something spectacular to watch.
Speaker 2: I might turn up to the next show if I ever get invited to un to stand a T shirt and see what happens. Maybe people talk about.
Speaker 1: Logi celebrate that. They're like, yeah, coming in. Never do wear anything on.
Speaker 3: Imagine rocked up to the logis in just a T shirt and no makeup. We'd never get invited back in it.
Speaker 1: No one knows who I am.
Speaker 3: That just because someone was escort me in soun's broken in.
Speaker 1: All right, listen next to the pickup, Laura, you've seen a TikTok that's really got you going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Look, I want to know what is it that you've been lying to your kids about. Because there's a couple in the States and they've had to lie to their children to save themselves.
Speaker 2: I lie to my dog all the time.
Speaker 1: She's all I've got.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you're a good gear. She's not.
Speaker 1: Close as a guess. All right, that's next to the pickup. It's the pick up Monday afternoon here at Kiss Britt, Laura and matche tanks to Chemist Warehouse. Get Blackmore's Executive Beast Stress Formulas two fifties available now at Chemist Warehouse for just forty seven ninety nine and always read the label and follow the directions for use.
Speaker 3: I have a question for you both. Do you remember back in the day when you were very little ever having in the conversation with your parents about the birds and the bees.
Speaker 1: I sure do. Unfortunately, Yeah, but you're.
Speaker 2: Into my retina and my memory.
Speaker 3: Okay, well I want to know how they approached this. But I came across a TikTok on the weekend of a beautiful family in the US. It is a mother and father who were doing something in the bedroom, some noise being made, and this poor little girl overheard have listened to this? Did you know it?
Speaker 4: My our door was closed.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry like you, Oh no, I'm not hurt.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry that scared you. I thought you were so asleep.
Speaker 1: She thought she was hurt, so upset.
Speaker 3: How do you how do you answer this? What do you say you're doing? Mummy's not hurt, Mummy's okay. Mummy was just happy that dad.
Speaker 2: Was doing his job, wasn't he She was.
Speaker 3: Screaming about the lack of washing up or something. What do you what do you even say?
Speaker 2: It's funny, because what's the age that you have the actual conversation. Like I I was at my early days, I was the stalk used to come that's how so that's yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like the very cliche though, isn't it well.
Speaker 2: I imagine it was probably under the palm. I imagine I probably caught them out and I was like, it's a stalk.
Speaker 1: Was too practical. I'm like, but you still have always said I was a big baby, and how did the bird fly? And what sack was I? How did a carry? And the beak is so small?
Speaker 3: I feel, does anyone remember Dumbo? That's what happens at the beginning of Dumbo. It's very Dumbo where I mean, if they could carry an elephant, they can carry you.
Speaker 2: Mitch.
Speaker 3: Sure, that's probably why that works.
Speaker 1: The best party is that little girl in about seven eight nine years is going to be in the middle of class. It's just going to hit her. That's what her parents were doing.
Speaker 3: Then she's gonna be traumatized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one night that I thought the door was locked because they were wrestling.
Speaker 3: Well, the reason why I thought this was so cute because Marley, so she's three and a half now with my daughter, we have a friend who's pregnant at the moment, and so she's very interested. Anytime she sees a big belly, she's like, oh, is there a baby in there? But we're in the car the other day and she's in the seat behind me, and she goes, mom, how does the baby get in the belly?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: And I was like, and that's when we're going through a tunnel. Three and a half. Though, I was like, Okay, I want to be that family that's very open to having like a prop a conversation. I want to be the family that three and nine is too young. So I was like, when daddy and mummy love each other a lot, sometimes a baby appears. Now my child thinks that they just spontaneously pop into a belly.
Speaker 1: They just spawn out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: I'm just born from love, which isn't a lie. They are, I mean, sometimes they're we're from love, from love. Sometimes they are from.
Speaker 1: One night stare. When I was a kid, I asked my dad and he said, you were but a twinkle in my eye, And for years I thought that's where, Like, you know, you came from his eyeboni, I came from his retina.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Head to the pickup dot com dot au and tell us what did you lie to your kids about? For your chance to win a five hundred dollars chemist ware House gift card.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't wait to hear these because they're always so funny.
Speaker 1: Always, and then you never expect them. You never expect these little lies to come out. Like you've got kids and the things you have to lie about on a daily basis.
Speaker 3: You always say you're not going to lie, you're not going to be that type of parent. But we're all that type of parent.
Speaker 1: You're all liars. Yeah, that's the moral of this story. Every parent is a lie and is based on all of it. Head to the pick up, get some cash, and we will see you guys tomorrow. Right, Will and Wood your up next. I'll drive you home.
Speaker 3: Bye.