Speaker 1: Just before we get started, we'd like to acknowledge and pay respect to Australia's Aboriginal and torrest Rate islander people's they're the traditional custodians of the lands, the waterways and the skies all across Australia. We thank you for sharing and for caring for the land on which we are able to learn. We pay respects to elders past and present, and we share our friendship and our kindness.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want a financial freedom. This is our Friday Drinks episode where we celebrate the money wins from our She's on the Money community.
Speaker 1: There are always, always, always, so many great money and commersions that are shared every single week in our Facebook group because Jess asks for them in a post that is posted every Monday saying what's your biggest money We no confession, which I guess it makes sense do you keep sharing it because Jess keeps asking? But we then spend a very big part of our week pouring over that thread, celebrating you, talking about your wings, talking about your confessions, and usually they're super relatable things. But this week, once again, we are celebrating you and we have Jess and George here on the decks joining us. Other people could have seen that. Are the cameras on the studio please? I wish they were if they're you know.
Speaker 3: What, Americans lost it, j Rick and BD.
Speaker 4: The negative reviews is going to come.
Speaker 1: DJ tager El, move over, Dara, we are coming for your job. But let's move forward.
Speaker 3: Today is Friday and we are celebrated our community as always, and we want to have more positive and constructive conversations around money. So let's kick off the show with a quick recup of the week that was Miss Jessica Ricci or j Rick in the house? What happened on this week's Money Diaries? So our money diarist took a leave of absence. She had what was on paper, I guess, a dream role. She was earning great money doing something she loved in the field that she studied for, and she ultimately realized that she needed to reevaluate. She took a leave of absence that resulted in her stepping away from that job and taking up something new. And it was really interesting because we see these conversations a lot where people say, I know that I'm earning good money, but I'm not fulfilled. The work life balance is poor, or the environment is toxic, and it can be really hard to assess. I guess those typically positive things or those milestones that you've worked so hard to achieve against things that are less tangible, like mental health or satisfaction. And it was really interesting to hear from her how she kind of evaluated what she was feeling, and she gave like a really clear step by step of the analysis that she took, which I found super helpful.
Speaker 1: It was so interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she worked in organizational psychology, so she had a really good insight I guess into that space, and if anyone is in the same boat, I would really recommend listening it because the steps and questions that she had asked herself are ones that you could do the same for you if you're in a similar boat. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I loved it. I felt like it was a really constructive episode. I loved that she now basically has her dream job and everything worked out for her, and the fact that she was in a position where she could do that. So many of us aren't in that position and can't just go oh, I'm going to take a leave of absence because at the end of the day, as much as I'm so proud of her, that's a very privileged thing to be able to do. But I think those steps could be done for anybody, regardless of whether you can step away from your job or not, just to reevaluate where you're at in life and what you want from life. And I think that that's I guess the big takeaway from me for that episode really inspiring. Moving over to DJJ King, what is it? Dj J King? It's not Djking geeking chiking, jiking, cheeking ontour.
Speaker 3: How are we, ladies? It's good to be here.
Speaker 4: On Wednesday, we spoke about guilt and spending, which is something that I've struggled with over the journey, and I think we have seen it bubble up in the community as people's relationship with finance improves. They're like, God, I'm amazing it's saving, but now I feel really guilty when I spend. So we kind of dove deep into that. I have some quick starts I want to share with you guys.
Speaker 1: To the Friday during set.
Speaker 4: So we learned that seventy two percent of Australians had felt guilty at some point when spending, and that females were three times as likely as males to feel guilty about their spending habits.
Speaker 1: What is with us always being on the back foot?
Speaker 3: I don't say anyone surprised.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, exactly so rude honestly, but if that is something you guys struggle with, then yeah, definitely give that episode. Oh listen.
Speaker 3: I felt like it was a really good episode because I think we all struggle with it, Especially when you're trying to, you know, tighten the reins and become a budget and cash flow queen. You just end up feeling guilty anytime money leaves your account for something that wasn't scheduled or something that wasn't in budget, and you just kind of freak out and go, oh my gosh, is this to my demise? And that's not the case at all. But we need to be a little bit kinder to ourselves, which is something we definitely learned from that episode. That guilt is equally unhealthy, like just in the sense that like go and make it rain, buy everything you want is super unhealthy. Restricting yourself overly tightly can also definitely be unhealthy one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like, and I don't want to akin it to eating disorders, but it's kind of like that restrictive mentality where sometimes you just go too far and there's like both ends of the spectrum, and you need to have a healthy, balanced diet. Sometimes we do eat things that are a little bit cheeky, but it's okay because we'll get back on track tomorrow. And I think that that is the same mentality we should carry through for our money and for making sure that sometimes you can treat yourself, but we need to also have a look at the bigger picture and make sure that in the grand scheme of things, everything's adding up and being okay.
Speaker 4: Totally everything in moderation.
Speaker 1: I like it. I need more chocolate done. That's all I got out of that series, all right.
Speaker 3: Moving on Jeeking on Tour Wiki Wiki, I'm going to give up.
Speaker 1: The DJ vibes. I just can't cut it.
Speaker 3: We should get Dara, who is DJ Tiger Le back on the show because I feel like I really liked that episode and she just has much more of a vibe than we do.
Speaker 4: She can give us some DJing lessons.
Speaker 3: But in the interim, how about you tell us what happened in the Facebook group this week fave money wins and confessions.
Speaker 4: So before I dive into it, I just wanted to say that some of them are money wins as per but also there are a few money losses slash confessions in the right that double as a life win. So the first win of the week comes from Diana. My husband and I have been having a break from alcohol, so over the past week we've saved at least one hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, how good is that?
Speaker 4: I need to stay and I probably need to do that, Yeah, gard or thank you to The next win of the week, Ladies, comes from Brittany. I've hated my job for a while now and started looking for something new. Last week. I was offered a job today. That's really quick week anyway, continue and was very nervous when I gave my salary expectations. I knew it was a little bit higher than they told the recruiter, but I made it really clear the values that I would bring to the small company, and they agreed to the salary I asked for. I was so scared backing myself, but now I'll be out of a horrible job soon and getting paid seven grand more in this.
Speaker 1: New job Bush money Win also is a week that long. I know some recruitment things can take a really long time, but some are just like snap decisions.
Speaker 4: That's quick.
Speaker 1: You've hed me on the phone. Just before this episode, I met someone on Instagram last Friday. I messaged them and said, I really want to have a chat with you. I think you create awesome content and would be a great mortgage broker on my team. And they were like, ah, wasn't looking for a new job. Let's grab a quick zoom coffee because they're to State. So we did that yesterday. This morning, she's like, I'd love the job and I was like, great, no problem. So I'll get you a contract by the end of day. That's a two day turnaround.
Speaker 4: Shee's Louise headhunted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did. I was like, I'm sorry, I have looked at every single post on your Instagram and I also stalked you on LinkedIn and also I've looked you up and I think you're really good. And she was like, Wow, okay, and I think you're crazy. Let's move on. What else have you got?
Speaker 4: GQ The next one is a money loss slash laugh win. It comes from Danny. I went to the Australian Grand Prix this weekend along with the rest of the state and spent ridiculous amounts on food and merchandise.
Speaker 1: Doesn't everybody going there? That's the point is that money making those She.
Speaker 4: Simply But the happy part is he had the best time and was so glad to be back because it's been a long time GP was on.
Speaker 1: That's actually a really good point.
Speaker 3: That's one of the biggest events that kind of fell to the wayside during COVID, So if you're in that sphere, it would have been one of the biggest events to come back and have been able to dress up and go out for. Oh my god, I love that. I hadn't thought about that. Oh you, I just actively avoided it. I had one of the best turnouts I've ever had, apparently.
Speaker 1: Oh I loved.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 4: Yeah, insane, insane anyway, zumzum. The next win, Oh no, it's a loss. It comes from Lily. Money loss, but a huge mental health win. Yes, Queen, I made the decision to work part time instead of full time as I realized I've been on a path to burn out for several years. I have psychologists appointments, fitness coaching, and other health appointments booked in and I'm looking forward to giving myself the time and the space to be calm. So that kind of ties into what you were Jay Rick. Okay, I liked this one. This one's from Joe. This week, we've got a pretty cool housemate who eats out, showers at work, and sleeps during the day because they work nights. Plus they go home a.
Speaker 1: Very real killer and very serial killer. Absolutely that doesn't exist.
Speaker 4: It's not a serial killer. That's the dream housemates.
Speaker 1: They don't exist.
Speaker 4: Something is so they're contributing to the rent, slush the mortgage. I'm not sure what the situation is here, but they don't even have to worry about this person.
Speaker 3: They're making that up.
Speaker 1: They're just making that up to make other people go, Oh, that doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: Housemates are a hard line. It's hard to find good housemates. I've had a couple of good housemate experiences. I lived with my best friend.
Speaker 1: We did have our trying times, but the housemate too before that was a crazy vegan hah. How the tables have turned. But one weekend I came back from my parents' house and she had thrown I used to go to Costco by the way, because I was trying to be a budget queen because like UNI life, didn't have that much money. She'd thrown every piece of meat that was frozen in the freezer out because apparently she woke up at three am and was like, no, there's dead animals in my house and.
Speaker 3: Threw out all of the meat. It was hundreds of dollars worth of meat. And as a poor UNI student, I hit the wall.
Speaker 1: That's heavy. She also used to borrow undies. But let's move on.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: The next is a money win and it comes from Rachel money win. I found a one thousand dollar camera tripod on sale for twenty dollars at finiss nos.
Speaker 2: D.
Speaker 4: It was so overprised to begin with, but that's still a bargain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, incredible.
Speaker 1: Oh people are buying not kmart ones.
Speaker 4: Weird. The final one, guys, I'm ending on a money loss, but it made me laugh. It's from Candace. My partner broke the washing machine by doing something I told him not to do. But it's not really my loss because we keep our finances separate, so it's his loss three hundred dollars he willed to be contributing.
Speaker 3: To that one.
Speaker 4: I love maybe your license. Yes, that's all for the week, ladies.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about some spicy Elon Musk content right after this break. All right, Jess, we are back in this week for some unknown reason. You want to talk about Elon Musk. It's not your crush on him. It's actually his acquisition of Twitter, isn't it. Yeah, Well, ironically Twitter is all a flutter because Elon Musk, if you haven't.
Speaker 1: Seen thinking about that, really quite proud of that.
Speaker 3: If you haven't seen it. Elon Musk purchased a majority share in Twitter, and it was very widely spoken about because when he did so, his nine percent stake pushed the shares up twenty seven percent. Unbelievable. That's so much money. Would have been a great day to be a Twitter shared.
Speaker 1: It would have been a great day to be a Twitter shareholder if you had sold your stock on that day. Well, so, remember they didn't make money that day. They only had an asset that was valued at more that day. But I find it's so interesting how the market reacts to things because was Twitter genuinely more valuable because a shareholder who technically shouldn't have that much of a say over the business operations joined the team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's worth a staggering two point eight nine billion dollars, So I don't know, maybe they're more confident that someone with that much money thinks it's valuable. But el Musk has done that before when he's tweeted about certain shares and the values gone up, and I think we have actually scared. We've spoken about that. And remember when Trump was presidenth loll, what a joke, But he used to tweet about things and the market would go crazy as well. And it's crazy to think that there are these men out there with such power or just people in general, it's not about their gender, that have so much power that they have basically the ability to play god with the stock market. Yeah, that's cool, but crazy. There's been a lot of memes coming out of there because now that he has that nine percent steak, he is the majority shareholder, which means that he could take a seat on a board. He said he was going to. Then it was like, loll, joke, don't want it anymore. So he's going back and forth, and then he just went fully rogue and started basically going what can I do to this app? He's like, you want an edit button, I'll give you an edu button. You want this, I'll give you that. Like It's like he's sitting there with his hands about the big red button, just like, what can I do now? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I should nah, but I shouldn't.
Speaker 3: It's really funny to see all of the discourse on Twitter and all of the conversations and how that's having like the bigger flow on effect, and I guess that that leans into the conversation. We had a couple of weeks ago about Warren Buffett's house.
Speaker 1: No I was I thought we were talking about tech because another update in the tech space is four days ago. Based on our recording date, that was last week lust Thursday or Friday. Warren Buffett actually continued buying more HP shares, and so he now owns about five billion dollars worth of HP, which is interestingly, the first tech company he's ever bought. He's always been really conservative and bought really I guess, blue chip stocks and watched them grow, But this is his first tech acquisition. And I find that really interesting because the same thing happened when he bought that HP shares flew up, And it's just like, there are these powerful people that we clearly respect their investing decisions so much. I find it really interesting that these people are literally making share prices more expensive because they own them. Like key is now more expensive, j Rick has one will masters way more expensive because the gking on tour drives one.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine?
Speaker 4: Great?
Speaker 3: Like that is crazy to think about one person having that kind of power.
Speaker 1: Like you own something, so it's more expensive because you own it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I guess that's influence of culture, really, isn't it though? Like someone you know, Sofa Dofa wears the blue courser and all of a sudden, every blody glasson is in the country sells out.
Speaker 1: Blue corset wasn't even that cute. I didn't get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's like you see someone with something and you go, oh, well, it must be good, and then it almost takes on a life of its own and it becomes this frenzy where you want it because other people have it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like fomo. But I'm already old on TikTok and when that was going crazy, I was like, oh, literally don't get it. And my sister was like, that's because you're old. Say okay, noted understood. But it's kind of like we're talking about it was that last week. We're talking about influences. But it's kind of like that, right, Like we respect people in the social media sphere, and I guess Worn and Elon they're not really in the social media sphere, but they are definitely influencers in their own rash. I wouldn't say their social media influences by any stretch of the imagination, but they influence you're purchasing, They influence your just decision making and what is going on, And it goes back to you know, this week I spoke live on National TV, which was terrifying because I wasn't wearing any makeup because it turns out being late it means you don't get to go into makeup. Who would have thought, But I spoke on influences and how important I think it is for them to be regulated at the same time as thinking they're incredibly important to have in our sphere because they increase financial literacy. And it's like, well, how do you find the balance, how do we draw the line of going all right, Well, Elon bought Twitter, Should I buy Twitter? Probably not, because if Elon just brought Twitter, the share price increased significantly because of his acquisition. Does that mean that the business changed functionally in any way? Like, is that now a good purchase because it's now overvalued? Probably not, because that might might dwindle back down to where it was before. Because that's just investor confidence going, oh my god, well, if he haw's it, it must be good. I'll buy more stocks or it's valued it more. And the same thing happens in the social media space with a blue corset or a frank green drink bottle or literally anything. If you see it enough times and you feel it and you get a connection with it, you're far more likely to buy into it. And I find that to be quite dangerous because how do you know that the person selling it to you as a frank green rep. How do you know?
Speaker 3: Well, someone dmd us this week and said, hey, with the shares on the Money team, ever do an episode talking us through what shares each of you specifically own, because you'll well, yeah, that was the that was the short.
Speaker 1: Sorry, sorry, you were going to get.
Speaker 3: There, Yeah, And I well, essentially I just said, hey, we actually can't, because it would be I mean, one, it would definitely go against acid regulations, but two it would be I guess a way of encouraging people. They would particularly look at UV, maybe not so much Me and Georgie and be like, you know what you're talking about, Like I'll just replicate what you're doing, and that that sounds like a good strategy.
Speaker 1: I'd love to tell you. And I've sat down and I've taken you through it, Jess, because I know that you know what that means. You literally work in a finance business now, and you've worked out what's good for you and what's not. I've done your literal financial advice. You're welcome for all that insurance. But anyone listening, who's going, Oh, I've been meaning to get into stocks, but I'm overwhelmed by picking and I just don't know where to go or what it looks like. I just feel like it would be really irresponsible of me going all right, well, you know, six or seven years ago when I started my investment portfolio, this is what I put in it. Like, if you go and buy that today, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best decision. For you because those shares have performed for me really well and done the things that they were meant to do. But that doesn't mean that today, if I was putting a brand new portfolio together, I'd put the same things in it. And I actually think that regardless of whether I would pick that or not pick that, me sharing my direct assets with you puts you in a position where you're going to be influenced too. You know, this is me having a few tickets on myself, but you're going to be influenced to think that those are maybe safer or better because you know, Terre's a financial advisor, she has been investing. I know she's done well in the share market over the last ten years. I know that she is, you know, relatively conservative. That seems like a good idea. I'm not going to put you in that position ever. If we ever talk about anything on this podcast, it's really oh, here's some top performing shares. This is why this is how. It's based on past performance, not current performance. It's just an informational, educational episode. Whereas I think that that's a line that I don't want to cross with cheese on the money, not because I'm embarrassed or don't want to share it. I think it's you know, it's real pervy. That's why we have money diaries. But that's the reason I don't think I could ever do a money diary is because I would be terrified that people would make financial decisions based on having seen my financial life.
Speaker 4: Well, people really want a cheat code, don't they? Like that would be the benefit of knowing exactly what you have in your share Rosebud.
Speaker 1: You're typing like control of debate on the SIMS typing Rosebud, Yeah, you get money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, imagine if that was if that was the thing in real life, wouldn't I be doing it?
Speaker 3: Well, it's like that thing you can't print more money because then the money's not worth anything.
Speaker 1: I've seen a couple of tiktoks, you know that one that was trending a little while ago, of the like space and it would but in the sky, and it would like the space would float behind you, and people are like me, not comprehending why they just can't print more money. And I'm like, oh, this is a whole episode. Maybe we should do an entire episode on why you can't print more money.
Speaker 4: But one if my friends asked me that once, like George, why can't they just print more and then all the world's issues would be sold. I'm like, Sis, that's not.
Speaker 1: How that's not how it worked.
Speaker 4: But to be fair, I couldn't really answer her why not?
Speaker 1: But I just knew it wasn't what. Oh, I get myself in some hot water here with Victoria.
Speaker 3: Well, have you ever seen the social experiments they did with creating like a free economy essentially where all of your basic needs were met? Yeah, like were met, they're at no cost to you. They did a social experiment a few years ago and it basically just fell apart. Don't even know why. Yeah, there's this concept of a universal base income as well, which has been floated, and it's relatively radical. I spoke about it with Glens a couple of weeks ago when he interviewed me for his podcast, which I think is coming out in a couple of weeks. Still we'll boast about it on our stories. But someone had written in and we answered the question of like, what would you do if you're a prime minister? And I asked Glenn, like, would you do a universal base income? And both of us basically said no, because it does put you in that position where everything just falls to the wayside, like yeah, and everything just inflates to cover the like you go, oh, great, everyone now has what fifty thousand dollars a year? Just kidding to live is gonna cost you? Yeah, exactly, And I totally agree. You know, universal base income I think plays into a lot of talking about welfare and things like that. I think we should be doubling welfare at the end of the day. But that is another spicy conversation for another spicy time. But universal bas income is very interesting because not many people have heard of it, but the people who have heard of it are either like fully for it or fully against it. There's not that many people that just sit on the fence and go I don't know, like I'm just it's a no for me.
Speaker 4: Sis interesting that conversation went so many different places.
Speaker 3: I really love that.
Speaker 1: But I do think it's really interesting when we talk about would you share your assets, because obviously, people like Warren and Elon there's a public knowledge so you can find them. But then there's me going, oh, I wouldn't share it. I think I have does that? Me just having too many tickets? On myself.
Speaker 3: I've they also live in another countries. They live by a different set of rules. Like you literally couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: It's legal, yeah, quite literally, and I'm not going to do it. That's not me questioning whether I should or not, because it's I don't know if you know this, but if I did the wrong thing on the She's on the Morning podcast, which is why we have such great producer and compliance and all of these things, and you get to listen to Jessica always read out that very exciting disclaim it. But like I could go to jail, like not just like oh V you got a little little fine. I could go to jail, and I could also be fined a million dollars. I've quite literally never seen a million dollars in my account, so I don't know where that's coming from.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because quite a few of the news articles and like the tweets just from you know, everyday, people were saying, is Elon even does he really want this? Is he just trolling because he's known for being a bit of a troll. And the crazy thing is is An has so much money that he actually could just afford to buy something for a couple of billion dollars just for shits and gigs.
Speaker 1: Which I can't even buy something for a couple of one hundred dollars for shits and gears.
Speaker 3: No, exactly right. So it's really interesting because they would you would assume that these multi billionaires are acutely aware of the fact that there are people who just track what they do. There are people who are tracking their investments and you know, they're big expenditures, Like the finance world keeps an eye on these things. And I wonder how many of their decisions are influenced by that, because they would be making their choices knowing that everyone was watching, right, and.
Speaker 1: They know they're kind of like so powerful, and that might play into the ego of who they are. That's such an interesting question because I also look at it and go ooh, like it makes me uncomfortable that they are public about that, because there are so many wealthy people that want to keep their images private, and you know, historically, I've been incredibly lucky to work in that philanthropy space and be involved in people who do have a lot of money, and the ones that I know that I really rate and also really respect are usually incredibly private about their money and don't like showing things and maybe don't want a profile and don't want their name on things. And you kind of go, where's the balance, Like, why are you guys being so I don't know, up and about about it? Because Elin doesn't need to make more money, he doesn't need to invest more so that he can grow. And imagine if instead of investing in Twitter, he had invested in helping to solve world hunger or climate change.
Speaker 3: Like, it's interesting the lives of the very rich and famous, isn't that we need to do real perview money diares. Do you reckon we should do money dies?
Speaker 1: No where we yeah, all right, you reach out to his people and have his people to my people. But maybe we do money dories, but we don't get them on the pop. We just research them and present it to the community and be like, all right, sit down, we're going to pretend to be Illine, could you g.
Speaker 4: I would honestly love that I put my hand up for the roll.
Speaker 3: You'd be good at it too.
Speaker 1: We'll interview later in the week. But I reckon we do some money diries where we don't have a diarist. We just do a deep dive on someone really rich and tell you how they got rich, what they own, what they owe, what they spend. I reckon we could find that. I'm willing to do the dirt goal. Come on, stats girl, pick up your game. I think that's enough smack talk? Is that what we call it?
Speaker 4: Smack talk? Spash talk talk?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I don't know if you know this yet. I wasn't the cool sibling growing up if it wasn't obvious enough already. But before we head off, we actually have a listener question that I would love to answer on the show. So let's have a listen.
Speaker 5: Hey, she's on the money. I've got a question about creating legacy funds. I don't plan on having children, but I would love to create something to put away now for my nieces and nephews so when they turn twenty twenty five. What's the best way about creating a legacy fund for children that are not your own?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what a question.
Speaker 3: I'm generous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think we've spoken about this on the.
Speaker 1: Pod before me. I feel like I might have mentioned in passing that leaving a legacy is something that I believe is really important. Clearly, it's not that important to Elon because he's just buying Twitter instead of setting up trust funds for his family. But it really depends on what you're planning on leaving behind and how you want it structured, but also what legacy means to you, Like, are you just leaving them some funds behind because you want some good wills and estate planning and you want them to buy a house or a car with it, or are you leaving it behind to create a future impact, and if so, what does that impact mean to you? And why are we supporting this cause and how does that work? So it's really hard to answer that without getting too specific. But let's just assume she has a really swanky income and she just wants to leave aside some money for nieces and nephews. There's a few ways to go about this. You can allocate it in your will and make sure that you've got a good estate planning law. If you don't have one, please find one. It is one of the most important things you would do for your family. But setting it up that way so it gets divided between them. The thing I find really cool about estate planning and wills is actually your incomplete control of these. We did our episode a little while ago about Will's in Estate Planning, which is obviously incredibly enthralling content. So the thing I find really cool about Will's in estate planning is that you are in control of all of it. So I could leave all my money to Jess, but every year she has to donate a certain amount of it to Lost Dogs Home. Or I could leave it directly to the Lost Dogs Home. Or I could leave it in the investment and have my investment income be donated on an annual basis. And that's actually a really cool way of establishing legacy, is by instead of giving people a lump some it's about going, all right, well, I'm going to create this investment portfolio, and upon my death, I would like the proceeds of that. You know, I never want it sold down, but I want whatever income that portfolio so creates to go to Jess, and I want her to have an income stream for life. You can also structure it that you go, you know what, I've had these kids, because I don't have kids now, it's very good to make fun of them, but I have kids, and if I pass away, I want my income stream to go to them. But if they have any addiction issues, they don't get anything.
Speaker 3: Who owns that.
Speaker 1: Portfolio, and so the state would own that portfolio, but it would be technically owned by them, but it would have a number of rules and regulations around it on getting that money back, and you would have somebody like a solicitor who would manage that for you, so you can have the power of attorney, be a financial advisor or a lawyer or somebody that can manage that to make sure that my future child would only get it if they meet certain criteria. I've also, if we're going to get a little bit pervy, worked in the private family wealth space before, and this is where we're talking about families who are worth billions or if not more than billions of dollars, and they would have what's called a family constitution. They literally have basically let's call it an employment contract of things that you need to meet to get your trust fund or get your income from your trust fund on a yearly basis. And I remember sitting down and doing one of them with a family, and you know, I was just a consultant. I was definitely not running the show at this point. And one of the criteria was that they had to come to Christmas every twenty four months, like they could not skip two Christmas Is in a row, and if you did, you wouldn't get that year's income.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, like lunch Grammar every Sunday.
Speaker 1: Christmas was like this big thing, and I remember being like, I'm so excited about Christmas because I want to see my family and I cannot wait for my mum to cook and like do all of that stuff. Like Christmas to me means so much. But imagine approaching Christmas like, oh god, damn, Steve, We've got to go to Christmas otherwise I won't have money next year. Like what does it change? It feels like money changes the dynamic of a family so significantly.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say that. I feel like if you have found yourself in a place where that's a rule that your implomed, there is a whole backstory there, and then I feel like that would build up like almost resent right, Like if you're not wanting.
Speaker 1: That's quite knowing that you don't want to go, but you're there for this reason. It's kind of like we're watching Succession on Binge at the moment, Oh my god, telling me for pages that I would love it. And I am obsessed and more than obsessed with Steve, Like he's always like trying to watch Succession. I'm like, I'm not finished cocking it yet. Don't put it on because I won't be able to hear it. But I love Succession. If you haven't watched it, really good. But it's all about, like I guess the dynamics that money or a lot of money brings into a family. And I guess this wasn't the question, but it is very interesting to talk about because it does change the dynamics. And that's what you've got to think about when it comes to legacy, like what type of legacy are you leaving and what kind of responsibility are you putting on the person receiving it?
Speaker 3: And you know, coming to Christmas, I don't think that's that bad. These guys were getting given a pretty hefty income each and every single year, so like I would go to Christmas, I'd be like, I'll.
Speaker 1: Be there, Yeah, bells on, no problems. But what type of responsibilities are you putting on these people? And ultimately, let's stop thinking about your nieces and nephews in the immediate sense and go. What type of legacy are you personally leaving behind? What does it mean to you? Why do you want to do this? Not necessarily just I've got a niece and a nephew and I want to leave it to them. I get that that swills an estate planning, but if we're talking about legacy, to me, that is another layer above and beyond that, where it's about ultimate impact and what does that mean to you and making the world a better place? And I want to have more of those conversations. But it is very different to oh, Jess can have my stuff if I pass away, all.
Speaker 3: Right, well, Vida, let's shut after the show, because I could definitely do with a little planning set, like plashing my debt. If someone wakes up in Victoria mysteriously died from poisoned coffee, that's very dramatic.
Speaker 1: Have you already planned this? I feel like you've already planned this.
Speaker 3: You're creep.
Speaker 1: I'm not giving you.
Speaker 3: A hand out of the whill, George, you're one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: We are done this week, George, wrap it before Jess gets thrown further under of us.
Speaker 4: Right here we go. This is nice lamination.
Speaker 1: I know we've.
Speaker 4: Laminated our disclaimer guys, brilliant Okay, the advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. Wow, She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. And we promise Victoria Divine is an authorized representative of Infocused Securities Australia Propriety Limited ABN four seven zero nine seven seven nine seven zero four nine AFSL two three six five two three. We will see you on Monday.
Speaker 1: That was so nice, George. Have a good weekend guys. Bye,