Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Susie Burrow and I'm Lean Maud and welcome to the Nutrition Couch, a weekly podcast from two of us day is leading dieticians bringing you everything that is new in the world of nutrition, diets, and good food from the Nutrition Couch Today.
Speaker 2: Inchelin resistance. You may have heard of it, but what is inchulin? What is insulin resistance and why could it be the reason you can't lose weight? A client case study touches on the very common issue of alcohol consumption. How much is too much and are there actually better types that you should choose when you want to enjoy a drink, especially at the moment with many of us at home a whole lot more. Our product review is a plant based yogurt which we always get lots of questions about, and our weekly listener question is about shift work. How do you need to adjust your diet so that it still works even though you were eating when everyone else might be sleeping. But before we get into our nutrition chat on the podcast today, I was thinking in the end that it would probably be quite nice for our listeners to know that we actually walk the talk in this space of lifestyle. I know that you are very committed to your exercise as am I. We both eat pretty well. So I thought, let's give a little bit of insight into what exactly you're doing training wise at the moment. Because you're about twenty four to twenty five weeks pregnant, that bump is getting a little bit more pronounced. How have you adjusted your training at the moment.
Speaker 3: Definitely harder to hide now. People are like, oh, when they.
Speaker 2: See me, it's definitely popped in the last few weeks.
Speaker 3: Training wise, I think for the first twelve weeks, I was very much into for people that follow me online, I did a lot of my strength training I do. My cardio was just long slow walks. That was just my preference over hit type of training. So I used to do sort of three four five days of strength training in the gym and then probably another three four days of longer walk So I'd average out my ten thousand steps throughout the week. Some days I'd get twelve fifteen thousand. Some days I'd just get five thousand if I was busy with work. And then once I sort of found out I was pregnant, I had a lot of sort of just nausea, I had no energy and to be completely Honesstusia. I was a bit fearful of what I wasn't not allowed to do at the gym. Like I wasn't sure if weight training was okay. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to exercises that sort of thing. So very early on I downloaded a pregnancy app. And this is not sponsored at all. I actually paid for it out of my own money. Emily Skyfit her program. She's a Gold Coast based trainer. She's had two pregnancies and she does her pregnancy specific app. And I think that's one of the hardest things I found Susie, because I couldn't find a lot of reputable exercise apps that were actually pregnancy friendly, and I think obviously that comes down to like insurances and that sort of thing. People just don't want to kind of risk it. But I think she was one of maybe two or three that I found, and honestly I went with her because she's an Aussie girl versus the other two. I think us saw UK based, so I just wanted to sort of support AUSSI support locals. So I was using her app and it was very much just there were some weights involved, but it wasn't like in the squad rack or with the big bar bells or that sort of thing. It was more like home base. But I just did it in the gym, so a lot of exercise bands and lighterweight dumbbells and cataballs, that sort of thing. And then once I hit about fifteen sixteen weeks, a lot of that nausea had gone off. I was back to eating you know, better sort of quality food, and I had a lot of my energy back. Like I hit about week fifteen and sixteen, and my energy just literally came back overnight, thank goodness, because I was really struggling. And then I went to see a local physio as well, just and she checked my pelvit health, public flaw and that sort of thing. And then she was saying to me, like, you should be right to do all of your exercises in the gym. Just don't squat too heavy or too low, and obviously don't let anything impact you're growing bumps. Obviously, if I was doing kettlebell swings, I'm not going to bring the kettle will backs you know, smacks my bump or anything like that. Just common sense. So I got a lot more I think confidence in the gym from having discussions with her. We went through some of the exercises that I would be doing, and she sort of cleared me from that safety perspective. So I've got more into back into my weights, using sort of the functional equipment at the gym a lot more in the last couple of weeks. So I'm sort of doing about three gym sessions a week at the moment, sort of using that app still but actually just adding weight twists or a lot of what she does is like body weight squads, which is fine, but I feel really confident. I've still got a lot of my strength, and my bump's not very big, so I'll, you know, add kettlebells or I'll dumb buzzs to that. So I'm not squatting in the squat racks necessarily, but I'm still using more weight than she's sort of recommending in the app, because the pictures of her are demonstrating in the app look like she's well into her third trimester. So I sort of feel better functionally and I'm still able to move around a lot. My bum's still quite small, so I'm doing a lot of more weight based activity and then just my long slide walks as well, which the physio recommended. One of the best things you can do for pregnancy is just keep moving. So on the days that I don't have a lot of energy or I'm just not feeling that great, I'll just head out for a really long walk.
Speaker 2: Because you get a lot of steps. How many would you be getting at the moment, I.
Speaker 3: Think that i'd average out ten thousand, Yeah, but I get very very minimal within where we're living at the moment. Whereas when we used to live in a two storytownhouse, so I'd be running up and down the stairs all day long. And then the place before that, I used to walk quite a lot, like down to the coffee shop, you know, around there was this park nearby a couple of years ago where I lived, so i'd get a lot more active sort of steps in. And when I used to work at the hospital, obviously i'd get heaps of just incidental activity sort of steps. So at the moment, day to day, if I don't leave and actually go for a physical walk, I'm barely at two thousand by the end of the day. Like I pretty much go from my office to the bedroom next door to the kitchen, which is right next door. So not a whole lot of opportunity to get steps in my day where we're currently living unless I do some dedicated walk. So how do you monitor just with a fitness watch? Have you got a garment?
Speaker 2: Oh that's a fitness watch watch. Oh it doesn't even look like one. There you go.
Speaker 3: It's quite stylish. I know. I get a lot of compliments on this online. Again not sponsored, but I really like it. Yeah, it helps me just keep jack. If I look at my watch and I'm like, you know, two thousand by three pm, I'm like, oh, okay, let's just head out for like fifteen minutes or something. Helps get some vitamin D in as well, which we know a lot of Aussies are very low in coming out of winter.
Speaker 2: It never ceases to amaze me how shocked people are that, first of all, they actually have a pedometer on their phone. Yes, believe have to show clients that on your if you have a smartphone, whether it's a Samsung or whether it's an iPhone, you will have a pedometer. But when people start to monitor it instantly, I think the research shows you do at least two thousand extra a day where actually start to monitor. So take that as a sign that even if you are not aware of how many steps you're doing, simply monitoring it's a really good way to get motivated. So I think we could have a whole podcast on our exercise programs, but we'll press on.
Speaker 3: Let's do one on getting steps in because I've got a lot of tips. But that's not even the topic of the podcast today, so let's add it into another one.
Speaker 2: Susie, we are goin to talk today about insulin resistance, which is a big topic. So I think we will move on, even though, as I said, we could talk to Leanne all day about a training but we will come back to that another time because I think it's always nice to hear what the health professionals who you're getting advice from are are perhaps doing in their life. So we will continue to follow Leanne through her exercise and pregnancy journey and I will share what I do at another time. But to move on. In shun resistance, it's an increasingly common hormonal presentation and I actually personally believe it's a silent epidemic in Australian health because working specifically in weight management, which I have for a really long time and falling into I guess the area of insular resistance. I think it needs to be taken a lot more seriou bi medical practitioners, and I think even dietitians are often in a great position. So to give some insight, Insulin is a hormone that we all have. It's the primary regulator of both fat and glucose metabolianism in the body. And basically we secrete insulin from the pancreas whenever we eat carbohydrate containing food. So it's completely normal to have insulin. We will have it, and ideally the body keeps it at a controlled level. Now, what happens over time, particularly when we gain weight as we get older and secondly reduce muscle mass or amount of resistance training that we do, is that over time our body can, in some cases, usually with a genetic predisposition, become resistant to that hormone over time. And it's basically very very early diabetes. So people about ten years out from getting full type two diabetes, which affects you know, at least a million Austraans, and I think it's another million who aren't diagnosed yet, really high numbers, and continue to expect it to increase over time. Is that basically the body becomes less and less efficient with using this hormone, and the more insulin that you have floating around in the body, because it's not getting into the cellars that should be to digest your glucose properly, because often that cell wall has been clogged up with fat mass, and then perhaps you're not moving as much so you've got more and more weight to work through. Is that because the body has to get that glucose from carbohydrate into the cell. It can't just sit out in the blood because high blood glucose is not healthy for us, and of course very high blood glucose is indicative of full blown diabetes. The body but pancreas basically secretes more insulin. So the more insulin we have floating around, unfortunately, the less likely we are to metabolize fat. Because one of the functions of insulin is to store fat. It's a great hormone when you want to gain weight or people who are gaining muscle tissue, they'll be using insulin to store So what I see typically with clients when they present is that they're usually quite significantly overweight. This isn't something if you've got five or ten kilos on it's usually someone who's carrying twenty thirty kilos. Is that they will try and reduce their carbohydrate intake over time, and normally in a person who was not insulin resistant, they would then lose weight. But what happens is in this cohort of people is that when they reduce their calorie and their carbohydrate intake, nothing happens with their weight. And that is basically suggesting that when their body is exposed to glucose from carbohydrate, the body's trying so hard to break down that and get it into the cell, but the insulin is not working, so the body produces more and the more insulin, the more fat mass, and you basically can't metabolize fat in the same way as someone who was not insulin resistant. So the other indicative aspect of this is that they're quite significantly overweight, because it's quite easy to eat five kilos overweight even ten. But when you've see people who are eating quite well and carrying twenty thirty forty kilos, usually there's a hormonal underpinning that's driving that quite rapid weight gain and actively preventing weight loss. So there's also degrees. So someone who has slight insulin resistance, often they'll respond really well to reducing the carbohydrate amount in their diet. And I'm not talking low carb man, I'm talking, you know, slight reductions, maybe less carbohydrate at night and higher protein meals through the day, so maybe eggs on toast for breakfast or tuna salad with a bit of corn, and then less carbon at nighttime, and they'll lose weight as normal, and that will naturally bring their insulince down and they can lose weight. But I'm talking about people who, no matter what they do with their diet and calorie control, they're just almost flatlined. And that's a sign to me. If I start a client who might be eighty ninety kilos, I'll give them a meal plan that's thirty forty percent carbohydrate, of course, encouraging them to walk a lot more because that's obviously really good for the blood. And then what happens is nothing happens, and I'll send them off for the doctor to get a glucose tolerance test, which is the key way to diagnose insulin resistance, and sometimes the insulin levels whenever they carbohydrate peaks an hour or two later, when it should be going down, it goes up, which is a sign the body is actively resistant to that hormone. And in many cases now lean I will need them to get medication, and there's a growing range of these medications and really up to date GPS or endochronologists so onto these and that can make it a lot easier for people to one bring the insulin levels down so they can actively metabolize fat, but also it takes care of a lot of the hunger because a lot of people with insulin resistance are really really hungry because their body is not getting their natural energy into the cellars it should be, so their appetite and energy regulation is not great. Now I'll hand over to you in a second. But the other thing I would say is a lot of doctors are reluctant to diagnose this, and what they'll do is they'll take a fasting glucose level or a fasting insulin and they'll say, oh, no, you're fine, and that's not the case. To truly diagnose insulin resistance, you need a glucose tolerance test with insulin so they can assess what's happening to your insulin levels. An hour and two hours after you've consumed glucose. Otherwise it can you can have it and still not know. So it's really also a matter of getting the right doctor and the right specialists to be working on this, and a lot unfortunately in general practice and not up to speed with how important it is the insulin plays in weight control and how even if you are perfect with your diet, perfect with your exercise, if your insulance too high, you will not lose weight. And that's why we see it as dietitians often because people often come to us when typical easy diets that they can follow online are not working for them.
Speaker 3: Absolutely great summary, Susie, and this is definitely your specialty area. So I don't have much to add, but I will just sort of reiterate the importance of a few things that you mentioned. You know, particularly we hear from clients. Oh, you know, my GP didn't want to do that on my GP said it wasn't a concern. If that's what you're hearing, go and get another GP. Shop around. You know, there are good doctors, there are bad doctors. There are good dietitians, there are bad dietitians. There are you know, good mechanics, bad mechanics. Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean that you shouldn't take your own health within your control and go and get another opinion. So absolutely what Susi said, it's really important to get the proper test. You can't sit at home and think, well, I'm not losing weight, nothing's happening. Of course some insulin resistant and then go order yourself some meds offline. No, absolutely don't do that. It should absolutely be managed by your healthcare professional, so a doctor plus minus a dietician as well. And Susie mentioned there's a lot of different types of medications as well. And I know all of our listeners. You know, Susie and I are very much health first, you know, holistic health, but there's also a way that holistic health can complement modern medicine as well. And for a lot of our patients and clients who are insulin resistance, most of them do need the help of some medications. So it's absolutely okay, don't feel like you've failed or you can do it on your own. That medication, at least initially is just going to make things so much easier for you. So please don't be resistant to that because it's probably going to help make things so much easier until you can get this under control a little bit, then you can start tapering down the medication and hopefully one day coming off it completely as well. So I think a lot of c medication is as a bad thing, And Zuzie, I've worked with a lot of health professionals, you know, physios ot is that sort of thing, and we don't even want to take panatoll when we have a headache, like we're that anti sort of medication. We just want to do things a natural, healthy way. But I do think insulin resistance is one of those conditions where medication can be very very helpful. And there are quite a lot of side effects as well, so definitely shop around if your GP or your doctor prescribes a certain type of medication for your injulin resistance. There are many different ones on the market, as Susie mentioned, So if you're getting side effects, you're getting nausea, you're getting huge appetites, or you know, you're gaining weight instead of losing weight that sort of thing, or maybe you're you know, having problems with your bows anything like that, just shop around and change the medication or change the amount of it, of course, working in combination with your doctor as well. I think some important take home messages.
Speaker 2: I think the interesting thing about medication was absolutely you know, starting to work in this area. And I was lucky I came across an endochronologist early in my career who was a specialist in this area. He sadly retired, but he really was a guru way ahead of his time. Now, in the old days, everyone was quite anti medication. Even as a dietician, I would always sort of push for diet and exercise. And as I get older and a little bit more experienced and perhaps a bit more life experience myself with children, myself, and knowing how time poor people are, is that I sort of dead and think, right, this is not easy, Like losing twenty thirty kilos is not easy. It's a long term project at least six months, and it requires a lot of focus. Now, the issue for many of us when we have high insulance is it really drives appetite, which makes diet compliance really challenging. And until you break down those levels and bring them right down, it's really hard to be compliant with lower calorie diets. And also you have to be incredibly organized because it's a lot of meal prep. It's not easy to do it. And I think as I get older, if there are medications available to make it easier, that will ultimately stop you getting type two diabetes, which will really help you losing twenty thirty kilos. Like one of my most insulin resistant clients has lost forty kilos with the help of one of these new medications. Now, this is not for us to prescribe. Absolutely, we are not medical professionals. It is in conjunction with a skilled GP or endocrinologist. Absolutely, I do not prescribe medication. All I will do is refer them to the right professional should I feel that there may be a need for it. But I'm a bit of you know, use what's available because life is already pretty tough. And the fact that there is this growing range of both appetite suppressants but also insulin sensitizers and appetite reduces out there, I'd use them a lot more and clients get great results. It's motivating, and ultimately what we're doing is preventing type two diabetes. So you can't tell me this isn't a really important area for health in general, that we target this increasingly common problem early because in ten years all these people are going to get type two diabetes if we don't. So I think we really need to take insulin resistance as a diagnosis a lot more seriously.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and will also take that into our own health and our own hands, because, as you said, a lot of us skip the step of insulin resistance and it's like bam, We've got full on diabetes and it's like crap, how did we even get here? So, you know, if you're someone that isn't feeling the best, is struggling with their weight loss, you know, is lacking an energy, is having other signs and symptoms in your body, go to your GP and go get a blood test. It's a sanded blood test. I'm a big fan of having most of my clients get bloods at least once a year, Susie to check simple things like iron and vitamin D and their glucose levels and that sort of thing, because too often it's not until we're lying on a heap on the floor and things have gotten really really bad that we go, hey, maybe I should go see someone. So this is your little reminder and your little alarm bell that if you haven't had some bloods in a couple of year time, or you're not feeling your best, or you just you know your body best. If something feels off, go and investigate that. And you know a lot of us are still working from home. We're in lockdown. We may may or may not have a little bit of extra time up oss sleeves, but doctors haven't always will be open, pandemic or not. You know, you can't stop people from getting access to great healthcare. So please take that into your hands and perhaps go and have a chat with your GP, and if you don't have a good one, or you're looking around, you know, do some research and come up with one that you know thinks about a holistic approach, but is also open to using medications and blood tests you know, where needed to diagnose some of these easy conditions that can be you know, well managed if we have the right information and the access to the right healthcare professionals.
Speaker 2: So some clinical science, just to summarize that would suggest to me, you could have insulin resistance. If you've got a family history of type two diabetes or I had gestational diabetes, you must have this test, the glucose tolerance tests with insulin regularly. It's distinct abdomino obesity. If you carry all your weight around your tummy and your waste measurement is ninety one hundred centimeters, very suggestive that your insulin is not working well. If you try really hard with your diet, you eat controlled calories, you exercise and nothing is happening another sign. Or if you're extremely tired and you're craving sugar, these are all very distinct signs that your insulin is not working as effectively as it should be and it's time to get some further tests.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: And you mentioned a big one in terms of that abdominal fat storage as well. So we were talking about perimenopause and menopause on the podcast a few weeks ago. So that's sort of another symptom there, and another symptom that's going to lead us into our next discussion, Susie, is that abdominal fat storage and alcohol. Because typical when we see clients drinking too much alcohol, where do they store it on their belly? So let's have a good chat about alcohol, Susie. Because we miss drive July completely. I think we did plan on putting something in about dry July in the body, but July's escape to somewhere practically a way into September by the time this podcast launches, so now's a better time than anything to think about alcohol. I love a drink, obviously, when I'm not pregnant, Susie, I'm sure you love having a glass of wine or a drink as well. What's your drink of poison?
Speaker 2: Out of curiosity, I do really enjoy a drink, but I don't need to have a drink, so going out for drinks with friends and having a big night, I like a bog c lim and soda. That's my spirit of choice one. I guess it's because it is lower calorie, but I also prefer the taste because you can sort of mask it. I love a good French champagne, and again that's more likely when I'm with my friends or having a really relaxed night. I wouldn't just crack open a bottle, but if you know, probably on four nights maybe five Now I would because I'm at home a lot more. I have a friend Rose, but I have to be honest with you, Lianne. I my husband, he's quite a big drinker, and he just laughs at me. I would have probably a third, maybe half a glass, and I sit on it for like two or three hours, so I enjoy the ritual of it. I have a sip, but I'm not a big drinker. And that's one of the things I really noticed about my clients who are drinkers. I find that big drinkers, the people getting through a bottle a night or who have trouble limiting, they fast drinkers, so they will polish off. Like I was walking with a friend recently and we grab one of those walk and go cocktails and I had had I reckon a quarter and she'd finish the drink. So drinkers tend to be quick drinkers. And so when I'm trying to reduce my clients intake of alcohol, because I don't like them to go cold turkey, I like them to factor in what they enjoy. But I'm trying to teach them to drink more slowly. And I suggest that a glass, a small glass, should last at least forty minutes to an hour. And when you propose that to people and they laugh at you, that's how you get an idea. If they're quick drinkers or not, because it's like anything, when we mindlessly do things, whether it's chocolate or whether it's wine, we're not registering or we're doing it mindlessly. And that's what I observe with big alcohol consumers. It becomes a mindless consumption and they drink really quickly. They don't really taste it. It's a habit. Obviously, it's a little bit cathartic in the sense that they're using it stress relief, for using it to relax, and before you know it, you've polished off half a bottle. So I think that's my message to a lot of people. If you enjoy a drink, and I have no issue with it, you know, I think the public health guidelines that have at least two alcohol free days, but you've got to learn to drink slowly and savor it and take your time, because otherwise, before you know it, it's like sweet food. The more you have, the more you want, and what starts as a glass or two becomes a bottle. And particularly in Lockdown, I think it's well documented people are drinking a whole lot more than they ever have. We are interrupting this episode to bring you a quick break and introduce you to this episode sponsor Anna Luisa Jewelry. That's Ana Luisa.
Speaker 3: We're excited to partner with this brand as a beautiful pieces are chic, timeless, versatile, but most importantly affordable, with pieces starting at just thirty nine US dollars.
Speaker 2: We absolutely recommend checking out Anna Luisa because I must say, Leanne, my outfit is looking so cute with my new sustainably crafted pieces, and I am loving your earrings as well.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Susie. I cannot get enough of my pieces either. And what's even better is that our listeners can get ten percent off with our discount link. So go to shop dot Anna Luisa dot com slash e NC so make sure you go and treat yourself and your loved ones and use our code BNC to get tempercent off, or head to our show notes for our discount link for Anna Luisa.
Speaker 2: During now, let's head on back to our podcast episode. Particularly in Lockdown, I think it's well documented people are drinking a whole lot more than they ever have.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, And I just remember a year ago, probably year and a half ago now, when all this lockdown sort of things started. The lines outside of Dan, Murphy's and Liquor Land like Oh my God, like forgets to weather paper craze that the alcohol shops were going crazy. People were stocking out big time. So I think it's a really important discussion to have, and I agree with you. I think quick drinkers it is a thing because you can almost drink it. Some of these alcoholic drinks taste like cordial, like they're delicious, they're full of sugar, they're just they're so easy to drink. It's like drinking a juice box or drinking a Cordial. So I do think that if you're someone that struggles with the amount or limiting that having something that's not as sweet, such as a vodka limb soda can be an easy strategy. But I'm always if anyone listens to my own Podcastly and More Nutrition podcast, we've chatted many times about choosing the thing that you want most. So my drink of choice, obviously you haven't had it in six months now. Susie is a beautiful French Rose as well. I'm a big Rose fan, but I agree with you, it has to be French or it just doesn't count. So that's my drink of choice, particularly in the warmer weather in summer, and as I said, I'd be happy with just one or two glasses as a social occasional that sort of thing. I don't crack open bottles when I'm at home by myself or anything like that, because the temptation to just polish it off is just too much, and I do like that. A lot of the what do you call them like alcohol shops are serving you know, smaller sort of one to two standard drinks, like really small like Jacob's Creek does really little champagnes and a little bottle of red wine, and another brand does like a little like I think one point two or two standard drinks of a little red wine thing as well, So instead of buying the full seven to fifty mil bottle of wine, you can get smaller amounts as well. And there's also a growing range of alcohol free options as well, which I've tried a lot of them in pregnancy, and honestly, they just don't cut it. I spent close to fifty dollars on a fake gin which I found in Woolworts, which is incredibly expensive. Susie, Oh my goodness, David had a normal gin one night one of our favorite drinks is a sharaz gin. It's beautiful, and he was having one of them, and I had my fake gin from Woolworths, and honestly, I used about the equivalent of what would have been full shots, Like I think I would have put, you know, what's a shot thirty meals probably over one hundred mils in with this tonic to just try and get some sort of taste in there, and it honestly just ended up tasting like Cordia. I poured it down the drain. I was like, it's not even worth it. I just went, you know, made myself a cup of tea after that. And I've tried some of the alcohol free siders as well, and they're not much better there. It just tastes like you're drinking some soft drink or something. So the goal is not to drink or you know that sort of thing. There's a growing range of non alcoholic options, but I think they are quite high in sugar and quite high in calories as well. So my preference is just have a cup of tea, go to bed and call it a night at the moment, rather than do the alcohol free.
Speaker 2: We're very honest here, very honest on the nutri should couch should be pleased to know? I love that. Yeah, we are.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna We're not gonna be su here, guys. I'm not a fan of the alcohol free you know options, but if they're your jam, that's absolutely okay. But let's quickly chat about I guess the energy density of alcohol, because alcohol is what we would consider our fourth macronutrient, along with carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. We should count alcohol as a macronutrient because it provides our body with a lot of energy or a lot of calories, but no real nutritional benefits. So it's something that we don't need to have, but I'll acknowledge that it is something that a lot of us quite enjoy. But again, it's that sort of I guess that dose response, like it's how much is too much for a lot of people? And if you've got that addictive type personality, you might be better off just saying no to alcohol the majority of the time, because when you do say yes, it's very, very difficult for you to stop. So this isn't even just from a weight loss perspective, because we know that alcohol itself is very energy dense, it contributes a lot of calories no real nutrition, So we're adding a lot of extra calories into our diet, not really getting much energy from it, and it's not feeling. And the other thing with alcohol and weight loss is that when you drink, Susie, you tend to crave more of that high fat, high salty food. So I know that when I drink, I love nothing more than a cheese platter or some potato chips or something like that. Or if I'm talking a lot younger here, back in my early you know, clubbing nights out days, when I was in my you know, eighteen nineteen twenty twenty one, we'd go roll through the you know, kebab shop at two am or something like that. So a lot of the times, drinking a lot of alcohol isn't conducive to help or weight loss, but we can definitely include it as part of a healthy lifestyle. But I do think that sort of two to three drinks a night should be a maximum limit, and that only you know, one to two times a week for the majority of people. I actually think our public house guidelines around alcohol are too high, SUSI, that's my honest opinion. In terms of the recommendations for alcohol. I do love that our guidelines say that you should have at least two days off from alcohol a week. But honestly, I say to my clients, it should be like, you know, five alcohol three days a week, potentially one or two a week that you're having a nice drink as part of a you know, enjoyment or social aspect or something like that, or because you love the taste and the pleasure of it, but it should be in sort of one two three standard drinks maximum. And that brings us down to you know, what is a standard drink as well, because a shot of alcohol or a shot of spirit is thirty meals. And I think, correct me if I'm wrong sousy about stand a glass of wine is about one hundred and twenty or one hundred and fifty meals.
Speaker 2: The standard's meant to be one twenty. But of course what happens now is they offer us the double shot, like they say during the Large Lives, and I think what I would I've just looked at by because I was aware they'd reviewed the guidelines, So I'm just looking now on the health website and it's now recommended that we consume adults no more than ten standard drinks a week, and no more than four on any one day. Now, I think that's even excessive for women who are often a lot smaller. And the way I describe it to my clients is that when you're drinking alcohol, you're basically so busy burning that off through the liver that you don't process many of the calories we eat from food. And that's why alcohol is so closely linked to weight gain. It's not specifically the alcohol, even though that is high calories, it's just that it displaces us burning off all the food we tend to eat when we're drinking. And that's of course, like you describe things that we love, things like platter food and high fat food at the pub when we're allowed to go out and treats at night time. So that's the link between over consumption of alcohol calories and the extra food. So I'm saying to clients, if you do choose to have those sole foods and that wine included, you've got to keep the dinner really, really small because you're getting so many calories from alcohol. And my message is that it becomes a habit and you just keep drinking more and more so, definitely clearing out and having a clear rule about how many nights you are drinking and keep an eye on those paws and even if you have to measure it, because again, like you said, we see the glass and it's got a small dash in the bottom, which probably is that standard one twenty because I think in the old days, when your parents, you know, in the sixties and seventies or even eighties, the wine glasses were tiny, that was a standard drink. Now everything we have is the goblet, so that just subconsciously encourages over consumption without us realizing. So buy small glasses at home and have them because that will naturally mean that you drink less without well, probably will notice, but it will seem less offensive than when we have to pour a dash in a massive goblet.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and you mentioned an important point where the liver displaces breaking down the calories from food because it's trying so hard to break down the alcohol. And that is because alcohol is a toxin to our body. And let me be very clear, and yes, Susie and I love a drink, but alcohol is a toxin to our body. It is not healthy. It is not providing a with any nutritional benefit. The body will always prioritize breaking alcohol down first over food and other drinks and other nutrients, because it needs to get rid of it and clear it out of its body. And if you drink too much, that's why you wake up with that horrible hangover feeling the next morning. Because alcohol is a toxin, it is not good for us, and it is very dangerous in large amounts, but even small amounts can make a lot of people feel quite awful. So I think that's a really important point to note that. Again, I personally think that the guidelines are too high. Like you were saying, ten standard drinks a week, that's one point six bottles of wine a week. That's just far too high for the majority of people, particularly you know, the majority of females listening to this podcast. So I really do think watch your portions. I definitely, Susie, get my clients to weigh out their alcohol if they're drinking at home. I know that might sound like a step too far, but a lot of people have no idea what one hundred and twenty meals looks like in a wineglass. And I get clients sending me photos being like, haha, you're joking, right, And I'm like, no, they're not joking, Like, we're going to account for this in your snackles, soul food total, because like.
Speaker 2: And alcohol is just so energuendous.
Speaker 3: And I've had clients go I go to them, I want you to pour out what you'd normally have into a wine glass, and then I want you to decant that into another glass on the scale which measures the meals, and tell me how much it is. And they're easily Susie three hundred meals plus They're like, oh my god, I'd normally pour myself like two to three times the stand to drink. So I think that knowledge and awareness is key. So if you're somebody that really likes to drink and it's a regular thing for you, pour out what you would normally do, then decant it into another glass and actively see how much are you actually pouring. If you're someone who gets through a bottle in two to three days, I can tell you right now that whether or not you're trying to lose weight, just for general health, regardless of the guidelines, I personally think that that's.
Speaker 2: Too much slightly better and slightly low calorie wise, but I would say to go for what you enjoy, but regulate your portions is probably more important than drinking something that you don't enjoy. But yes, so very rough. Just to summarize, a nip of spirits is about sixty calories, small glass of champagne about eighty, and then a glass of wine is about one hundred hundred and twenty per small standards serve, so at most one or two of those and that's definitely the extra calories for the day. So we're sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we feel your pain. But it all comes down to limiting amounts and getting a little bit more control over the overall volumes that you're having. Anyway, we're going to quickly interrupt this episode to bring you a quick break and introduce you to this episode's sponsor, which is Anna Luisa Jewelry. That's a and A Luisa, which is now on sale for twenty percent off with their summer sale.
Speaker 3: And we're both so excited to partner with this brand as their beautiful jury is chic, timeless, versatile, but most importantly affordable with pieces starting at just thirty nine USD.
Speaker 2: We absolutely recommend checking out this brand because our outfits of late have been so cute with our new sustainably crafted pieces for Anna Luisa.
Speaker 3: I can't get enough of my pieces, eases Susie. And what's even better is that our listeners can get twenty percent off with Anna Luisa's summer sale using our link, which is shop dot Anna Luisa dot com forward slash TNC. So make sure you head to the show notes in our podcast to grab that discount link for Anna Luisa jury.
Speaker 2: And now we'll head back to our podcast episode. So the next segment is our product of the week. And it came to mind because I popped up a post on my Instagram which simply compared some coconut yogurt compared to Greek yogurt leanne. Now it went crazy. It can never tell what people are going to be interested in. To be honest, it was just random. But I had so many questions and they were all asking me about what is a better plant based option. So I thought it was a really good opportunity to talk about a brand that I'd noticed a few weeks ago in the plant based space of yogurts. It's the Activa O yogurt and one of the reasons I wanted to talk about it because it was actually one of the best ones I've seen nutritionally, because let's be honest, when you try and replicate plant based it's very, very different from dairy based yogurt. I know they're calling it yogat because it's fermented, but I would say it's not the same thing because whenever you're having a dairy based yogat, you're geting a certain amount of protein from the milk based You're getting a certain amount of those key nutrients and calcium naturally magnesium, and that's really hard to replicate in plant based yogurts. But as I said, I quite like the nutritionals on this. It's available in all major supermarkets. There's a range of flavors. The one I've got here is oat and cocon up, but there's a blueberry one, and I think it's per one hundred and twenty five grams serve when they come in little individual pots or that's the serving size, which is about half a cup. It comes in at just over one hundred calories one hundred and forty calories. It's got four point eight grams of protein, which is quite high for a plant based yogurt. So a dairy based yogat would have about eight to ten grams, or up to even twenty if it was one of the higher protein yogurt, so most of the plant based ones have one maybe two grams. So this at four point eight is relatively high, and that's coming from the oats primarily in that saturated if that's coming in at three point eight per one hundred and twenty five grams, which is not insignificant, but they are using a little bit of coconut cream to give it the thickness of yogurt. Seventeen point eight grams of carbohydrate, and the total sugars are seven point eight, which sounds high, but it's not overly high for a sweeter yogurt. When you're having a plain yogat, a Greek and natural, the sugars will be low. But in anything that's got a fruit or a flavor, that's actually quite low per serve. And two point nine grams of dietary fiber because they've also thrown some probiotics are in there as well, but also some dietary fiber coming from the oats. The pea protein is in there as well to increase the protein content. So if someone was saying to me, I have to choose plant based products, I'm choosing to I'm allergic to dairy, or I prefer a vegan or a plant based diet. This would be one of my top choices in the plant based space, and from feedback, people quite like it as well, because that's the other thing. They don't all taste amazing, but nutritionally, I think they've done pretty well and that's widely available. So if you're asking me what I would yes, is that an alternative that's reasonably close to yogurt itself, that would be my preference. Have you tried it because you're a big yogurt fan.
Speaker 3: I really liked this one as well. The Activa one I think is quite good. I think the normal dairy based range of activty yogurt's quite good as well. And I agree I think plant based yogats are hard because a lot of clients choose the coconut yogurt because coconut is one of those health halos where they're like, oh, coconuts so healthy, But coconut yogurt is incredibly high in fat and incredibly high in sugar. You're not really getting much nutrition for what you get in a standard tub of coconut yogurt. So I love this the fact that it's based on oats. I consider oats quite a superfood, you know. I think they're higher in protein, They've got some wonderful benefits from a cholesterol and a dietary fiber perspective. As you mentioned, the protein is probably higher than other plant based yogurts because a of the oats in there, but be they also add the pear protein in there as well, and they've got a little bit of fiber in there as well. So I think two point nine grams and a serve of plant based yoga, it's incredible, Like I wouldn't be looking at yogurt for fiber, but I think it's an added bonus. And as you mentioned, the sugar's in there naturally occurring from the oats, but also because this flavor that we're looking at is actually banana susi as well, and as you mentioned, there's a blueberry one as well. So I do think that it's a great option and definitely one of the ones that I'd be more recommending in the plant based space. And I have had really good feedback from some of my clients that i've recommended too that it does actually taste quite good as well, So I'm definitely a fan of this one. I can't really think of any of the negatives. Just for our listeners at home who are allergies with kids and themselves. It may contain tree nuts, almonds and cashews. Also obviously isn't appropriate for as ciliacs unfortunately, because it contains a gluten in form of the oats, and it also contains soy, so a few allergens to watch out all there. But I actually think it's a great option, I think, and I think that you do get it in more of a bigger tubs. You can sort of decant the amount that you want. But I think one hundred and twenty five grams serving for four point eight grams of proteins is quite strong in the plant based, are nutritional yogurt space, So I'm a fan.
Speaker 2: Cooly and I think it's five hundred gram tubs, so there's five serves per tub, which is quite handy for portion control too. But I do think they we're going to see more and more products in this space and so it will give us more variety. I know in the States there's a much greater range of nutritious plant based options across the board, and I think over time in Australia we'll have a lot more nutritious, well balanced plant based foods to work with.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and I was a fan of the Eyopro plant based range, which I used to recommend to clients a lot, but I've noticed in the last weeks and months it seems to be that they've actually pulled that from their shelves and their yogurt was based on Honestly, the taste and texture wasn't fabulous, but honestly, if I had to had plant based I would definitely have chosen that because the protein was quite high and the energy density was quite good and the flavors not too bad. They were mixing i think, father beans together to get that higher protein content, which I think was great. But it seems like that sort of disappeared off our shelves lately. So perhaps the demand for high protein plant based yogurt isn't quite there. But listeners, if we jump on board and we try some of these products, maybe our our marketers and our food consumers will recognize the demand for that. I'm not saying that we're against dairy or anything like that, But we appreciate that a lot of our listeners would like plant based options and some dairy free options, So we hope that we've come up with a great one for you guys today because it really is quite strong nutritionally from a plant based perspective. And then that brings us, Susie to our final segment, and we are going to chat about shift work today because that's something that we get asked a lot of questions about. So, in terms of shift work, what is the best way to eat if you're a shift worker? So I have clients who say to me, you know, I get like a nurse, for example, or a doctor, I get a lunch break at two or three am in the morning. What should I be doing? Should I not be eating because it's two o'clock in the morning. Should I be having what would be the equivalent of my lunch because I woke up at eleven pm?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: How do we manage that? And I think that my advice for people is normally, Susie, that if the goal is fat loss, and purely mostly fat loss, the timing of your meals doesn't necessarily matter. It's more the overall calories that you're consuming within that twenty for hour period, but more importantly within that week sort of thing. So even if you blow out one or two days, you can bring that back on some other days. So I think what's most important is to with your shipwork segments to just keep adjusting based on the times that eure up. So if you're waking up at eleven pm and you're working through at a seven am or something like that, try to structure your main meals every three to four hours, having a small filling based protein or you know, healthy fat snack in between those meals as well. So I think it's hard because everybody works different shipwork. You know, some people work and they finish work at midday, which isn't a traditional work hours either, but for them that shift work as well. So it's hard for us to recommend in terms of times. But I would just structure your meals whenever you wake up to make sure that that first meal you're eating, make sure you're actually hungry. If the goal is fat loss, if the goal is just general health, again, it doesn't really matter too much when you eat that first meal, but make sure that first meal is balanced.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I think it's really quite easy to be waking up and doing a night shift. In that first meal of the day being like a can of coke for some energy and just a bit of chocolate to get us through the day. But really make sure you've got some good structure in terms of your main meals by basing them in protein, some high fiber carbohydrates. We've got some veggies or salad in there, we've got a serve of healthy bats to really balance main meals, and then try to have those main meals every three to four hours. And again, I get a lot of questions from my clients who are doctors or nurses, who say, right, I've clocked off my shift at seven am. The goal is to be in bed by eight am. I'm hungry, though when I finish work, what do I do? Am I supposed to eat then go to bed on a full tummy, And I think that's very dependent for a lot of people. Like if you had your last meal break, say at four am, and you had a main meal, then you want to go to bed at eight am. I don't think that you need to eat because you should still be rather satisfied. Maybe you could have a small snack, a yoga at a piece of fruit, or some nuts and a boiled egg, or some veggy sticks with homice and a hot chocolate. Then put yourself to bed or something like that. But again, if your last meal break was six seven hours ago, then the goal is to go to bed, but you're genuinely hungry. I think it's important that you have a proper meal, keep yourself up for an hour or two, maybe have a proper meal, go and get a good exercise session in, do a bit of meditation, wind down, and then hit bed an hour or two later, because there's nothing worse than going to bed sooozy on an empty tummy and then waking up the next day ravenous, or waking up part way through the night, or not getting a good quality sleep because you are so hungry. What are your thoughts around chipworkers.
Speaker 2: I think, first of all, as you describe, everyone's a bit different because the shifts aren't always the same. But what I do say is I do try and keep clients in a rough circadian rhythm, so I try and structure it so they'll still give themselves six or eight hours without food overnight, because I find then if they say, have a really early breakfast, that might be five am or seven am by the time they get home, and then they'll sleep and then they might have say more of their lunch or even dinner when they wake up, and then a lighten meal before they start the shift, and then overnight. I try and get them to have only quite low calorie options, things like veggie sticks or not even low calorie but low carbohydrate options when the body is technically programmed to be restoring and not eating. So I do kind of adjust it based on the individual shifts, particularly when they're flipping back constantly between day shift and night shift, so I want them to be then consistent. So if I've got a shift worker who's doing seven days in a row, it might be slightly different to someone who's doing two days, two afternoons and then two nights. But I do still try and make sure they're having at least six, eight ten hours without food, because one of the things I notice is that shift workers start to eat many meals and they might be having five or six meals a day with no really long period of time without food to allow the body to have a break. So I'll adjust it based on that and try and get away from that constant snacking and make sure they're having substantial meals and not getting to a hospital overnight, which is notoriously bad for this, and they're not having really eaten a proper meal and then snacking on all the snacks that are at the nurses station. So that's how I try and do it. I try and still factor in proper meals with a break to tap into as much as a circadian rhythm as possible.
Speaker 3: And I think you mentioned a really important point. You know, if you're doing a two week block of night shifts versus two night shifts and two mornings and two afternoons, I think that nutrition should be different for the individual based on how long your ships are going for. And obviously it's easy for the body to get into a routine the longer you do something for, so yeah, I definitely agree with that point as well. But I think trying to avoid the constant snacking overnight and the eating for energy, which I know is really really difficult, but just trying to use other things like you know, a lot of people forget that breath work can actually give you a lot of energy, or keeping your mind alart can give you as much energy as well, So I mean, if you're the type of shipworker where your job is security and you're just sitting in a booth overnight endless, you know, the cockroach cooling across the floor is as much entertainment as you get for the entire night. It's very different to stay awake and alert, so you know, use those opportunities to get up and do some movement when you feel sleepy, versus grabbing the diet coke or the bag of lollies all that sort of thing. So we want to try and avoid eating for energy as such, or eating to pick ourselves up or keep ourselves awake, and just try to use natural things like deep breathing and movement and just you know, pacing around and that sort of thing to keep our energy levels a bit higher. As much movement as possible. If you've got one of those shipwork jobs where you're just sitting down and you know you're doing security or something, and you're watching a video and monitor for twelve hours overnight, it is very easy to you know, I would imagine, feel quite sleepy. So try to get up and get as much movement as you can, even if it's just you know, pacing the little office that you're in or something like that to try and avoid constantly snacking and grazing throughout the night. As you mentioned, so balance meals in terms of nutrition are absolutely key for most of our shift workers.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, that brings us to the end of the Nutrition Couch for another week. If you have not done so already, don't forget to subscribe to have us delivered to your inbooks every Sunday morning, and we would be so grateful if you could leave us a positive review in the Purple Apple podcast at It really helps our ratings that keeps us at the top of the nutrition chart. So if you have a moment, we would be really grateful if you can do that. We have our Instagram and Facebook social sites running and so we regularly check those and take your feedback in question. So we'd love to see you there at the Nutrition Couch podcast and we're going to see you same time, same place next Sunday. Have a great week, changing us next week.
Speaker 1: The bus to File spits Spare Bacon Spett