Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to the Sitdown. I'm Viv Christie, Managing editor of Australian Tennis.
Speaker 2: Magazine, and I'm Matroop, a writer for ozopen dot com. And Viv tell us why we're sitting down this week with Sumitt Nogale.
Speaker 1: Well, it's almost time for the Australian Open and one of my favorite stories from this year's tournament was the success of Summitt Nogal, who qualified, played a couple of great matches, used that as a platform for his top one hundred breakthrough. I also love the story of his journey in tennis generally, which actually started with cricket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was so funny. Just before we spoke to Suemitt, Rafael Nadala retired and there was that iconic tweet from Sumit where it said alas no more Nogal versus Nadala. I think it was Nogal versus Nadal will remain a dream and we thought that was great and we also use that as an opportunity to ask him about it in our chat with him. Sum At Nogal, thank you so much for joining us on the sit Down podcast.
Speaker 3: It's great to see you and great to.
Speaker 2: Have you a big vim and where in the world do we find you at the moment.
Speaker 3: I'm currently in Mumbai, India. I'm playing a tennis league in India. I'm playing my first match today in a few hours. I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. So I've got you right in the middle. Is it does this count as preseason or is this a continuation of the season?
Speaker 3: How does this fit? I think it's more like a first week of my preseason. I'm starting very slow. I did some sort of very easy fitness yesterday and I'm gonna keep doing that for this week. Post post this league, I'm gonna go to Dubai. I'm gonna start uh playing a lot of tennis and a lot of heart fitness for next two three weeks, I would say, and then fly to Australia around Christmas time.
Speaker 1: Fantastic.
Speaker 2: So you caught our attention just the other day actually with your tweet Nadal versus Nagal remains a dream.
Speaker 3: Yes, what prompted that is that?
Speaker 2: Do you know Rapha had you ever got to meet him or have anything to do with him?
Speaker 3: Like obviously you see you see these players, you know in every tournament you say Hi, Hello, but like I've never really sat down with him or even actually never even pact us with him, So it's like, yeah, it's like, like I said, it's stayed a dream. How would have been incredible to play him in the in French Open? You know, I know he's the greatest ever to be come out of out of that court, but there, you know, to to to have that challenge to step on the court, to feel that aura that he has on that court, I think would have been something to experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you told us, yes, you're you're back home in India. For tennis players, obviously they're on the road for so long, how special is it or good for you is it to be back in India? Like and he said, you're just about to go to Dubais, So like what do you enjoy about that occasion to be at home?
Speaker 3: I would say, you know, family, friends, food, my my training bases in Germany, So I don't really get to spend so much time in India. Maybe I'm I'm here too three weeks a year, so whenever I get a chance to come back, I come back. You know, yeah, I miss a lot, but I don't really have a choice. If I really want to do well in Vennis, I need to stay away from from India.
Speaker 2: That that's a similar for Australian place too. It's even further to Guy. And it was such a special season for you. So when you look back at it, what would be the highlight mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: I would say my first few months of the year were very good. Breaking in top hundred by Wanning that challenger in India was very emotional because of the people who were around, and to break it in India, I think, I think it was a pretty pretty nice, nice, nice week having friends and family around here. I don't think. I mean if if you see the videos, I was crying. You know, I've never cried on the court, So yeah, there was a lot of a lot of emotion coming out of my body, feeling feeling I would say a little bit relieved, yeah, and then I would say the second would be in the Olympics again, you know, I think it's I I really really loved playing playing Olympics for India. Unfortunately I didn't do well. I ended up losing to Mute, but to to experience that atmosphere again playing a French and hole where it was it wasn't easy but yeah, I mean, these are the moments, these are the matches that makes you tougher and makes you more compete, even even at a higher stage.
Speaker 1: I was wondering if you could take us back to your start in tennis. We we know that your first sporting love was cricket. How did tennis win you?
Speaker 3: Ever? Didn't really win me. So when I was a kid, I would I would play a lot on the streets, like I would be out and out whole day, and especially if you if I, if I had a day off or holidays were going on, I would be a guy who would go who would leave his house at nine and be back at nine pm. And I would fell a lot of time playing cricket like like we call it gutty cricket, like playing cricket on the streets. And my father saw, you know how much energy I'm putting, and he didn't really wanted me to play any team sport, looking at you know how tough it is to get into a team sport in India. And then we had a we had a family friend whose daughter was playing tennis at that time, so they were the one guide that my father saying, let let let him try some tennis. And I think from the day one when I when I got a racket, I don't think we ever looked back. There was no question of like, hey do you want to you should we try other sports? It was day one was tennis, Day two was tennis. Day fifty was tennis tennis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then of course you you joined MAHESHBA Parties Academy.
Speaker 3: Can can you.
Speaker 1: Talk us through that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a funny story behind it. But this would be two thousand and seventh December. We heard there's a pro there's a there's a program coming in. They're gonna select a few kids. We me and my father had no idea how many harmony were they going to select. And I wasn't really high ranked around that I'm in India, but we my mom, my dad mom were like, yeah, I just tried. Who cares, you know, nothing to lose, it's in our city. So I ended up going a few few things happened. I I actually went up to my hage saying, can you please look at my game? And you know you're picking up kids that I usually beat. That's that's how I said it, which I apparently he he really liked that I had a lot of confidence at the very young age, and from there on, I I got selected for the for the for the program, I went to Bangalore for two years and from there on, I've just always been under my age.
Speaker 1: Well so he still plays a role in your.
Speaker 3: Career now, yeah, yeah, yeah, sure, he's still my manager. Yeah, he's he's the manager, mentor friend, whatever you want to say. He's he's always been there, fantastic.
Speaker 1: Who else would you say has been influential in your career?
Speaker 3: Obviously my parents, you know, because they've seen they've seen up and downs of last whatever, seventeen years, fifteen years, whatever you want to say it, you know, so, yeah, they've been very supportive, especially especially my mom. She doesn't really care much about how good I do on tennis core. She cares more about how I feel, which is yeah. You know, every time I've come out of the match, if I don't do well, She'll be like, how was it? I say? I lost? She's like that, I know, But how you're feeling, which is yeah, which is which? Like you know, you know, sometimes you feel like coaches don't never ask that, you know, coaches like Ellison, you should have done this that So of course that mom. Mom fills up that role. And some of my friends, you know, they've been They've been there for ten years, twelve years, fourteen years, always been around, always been pushing. So fortunate to have these people of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah the Australian Open, we remember your run so well at the start of this year, or we wondered what your memories were of that because you qualified, she Pade, Alexander Bublake. There was a great atmosphere around your matches as well. It was yeah, what what what stands at to you with that run?
Speaker 3: To be honest, that was the first time I ever did well in Australia. So every time I come to Australia, I was like, man, every time I go on, the court is so windy and the coach are so fast. Every code is different. But last year I somehow, I think I felt like maturity came in. I was, I would say, an older player on the tennis court comparing to my last four, five, six, whatever, comparing to my juniors and seniors in Australia, and I think that was the biggest change that I felt on the court, that I was able to deal with things better comparing to the last few years and I think the yeah, like you said, the atmosphere was was was crazy. A lot of Indians showed up to to support me, which was which was yeah, which was incredible States and especially playing Jerry Shang in the second Old I mean you should have seen it. It was very, very loud. But yeah, I'm looking looking forward to Australia again. I think I think I'm gonna gotta be better this time.
Speaker 2: And do you think it like set you up, like set your season off on a good track or a good path.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, because get me confidence right, gave me confidence. I was playing on a very high level. Majority of the year I played, I played on the ATP two level, had some really good matches, So I think I think the Australian two really gave me, gave me a jump start, I would say. And again, you're looking to do the same kind of schedule. Start in Canberra, start very fucking camebra is faster than Australia, so you know I'm faster than Melbourne, I would say, So we can start there and then maybe maybe see what to play the second week and then be ready by being ready by Melbourne starts awesome.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the atmosphere being so good at the Australian Open, and then you talked earlier about winning the challenge title in India and cracked the top hundred and us so emotional if it happens to you was gride at the II. What was it like on home soil? Like did you have many home fans watching that tournament and what you achieved there?
Speaker 3: It's a big good. That stadium in China is huge, so I don't know how many people were there, but I would say the people were as like lower lower stands as were quite full. Obviously the mac cord I played in Australia was smaller than the chene One because it's that word where they played the two fifty events. So it's a huge stadium. But I would say maybe I felt like Australia was louder because of the way the things were. Fans on this side fan but nothing on this side, so you feel like, you know, it's it's like right here. And obviously India hoors to China, you know it's gonna get a little bit heat so but but yeah, I think the Chennai week pretty much a lot of people showed up for a challenge that I don't think I ever seen something like this. I think also maybe because of me doing the lee well in Australia played a big part. I was on the news, so people showed up, which was very nice, Yeah, which was really really nice.
Speaker 2: And those emotions you talked about, like winning that challenger, cracking the top one hundred, what was behind those emotions. Was that anything to do with, you know, challenges you've overcome, the hip surgery, things like that, or is there something else behind that emotion?
Speaker 3: I think I think pretty much mix off everything, you know, injuries, waking up at six am doing yeah, taking buses at five am. Sometimes when I was a kid, I would take a bus at five years to go practice at eight. You know, the bus ride would be two two hours then to yeah, to to sleeping on chairs sometimes when I was a junior, I would put two chairs together and sleep on it, you know, sleeping at the airport. So yeah, those things where where you don't have to do by hopes, but those things came in play, you know. You how you get a very fast flashback off of the things that you really did enjoy but when you were a kid.
Speaker 1: But yeah, just sort of stearing the conversation a little bit towards tennis in India. So you are the sort of the standout top one hundred player for India at the moment, do you feel a sense of like a role model responsibility that comes with them.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I feel like a responsibility or it comes, but I do want to change it. I do want to do it. I have been very vocal about, you know, having things change, have a system, but obviously it's very it's easy to say, but it's very hard to do it. You know, it's very hard to change things. But yeah, I would really like if there can be a system, if we can follow our system and have good people involved in the Indian tennis.
Speaker 1: Who are your role models when you were growing up?
Speaker 3: I mean me being Indianized, I watched a lot of some dev devironment. Yeah, he actually helps me as well some weeks he travels with me. If I say internationally, I would say David Ferrer. I watched a lot of David Ferrer as well. I watched a lot of Hewitt as well. And then I would say I really enjoy Joko and Andy Murray's matches as well.
Speaker 1: Sure, David Ferraan and lighton Hewitt, Are there are kind of any qualities of theirs that you particularly admire?
Speaker 3: There're are fighters, Yeah, you go on that sort. You're like, this is not going to be easy no matter what. You know, that that quality it's it's not easy to build. It's probably one of the hardest thing to do in tennis to have that quality for sure.
Speaker 1: And just tennis in India generally, how popular is it at as a sport at a grassroots level?
Speaker 3: I think I think there were better, better times. I would say right now, maybe some other sports are picking up. You know, badminton's very high right now in India. Uh. I would say maybe tennis is at five or six in India. I would say something like this. You all, football has suppos been playing a lot in India. Obviously, cricket is number one by far. Now I think shooting is going to come in play, yeah, because we've got some medals. So I think I think tennis is kind of unfortunately stepping down a bit.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: But that's also because of you know, not not having players playing on the highest tour year and after a year.
Speaker 1: You know, you mentioned earlier that you train now in Germany. I believe you also spent some years in Canada developing your game. So tennis has certainly taken you to many places anywhere that you particularly love well.
Speaker 3: I loved Barcelona. I was there for like two summer. I was a pup or Slam Tennis Academy. Fernando vet and Galo Blanco, Hio Aleesco, they are the people who own this academy. Yeah too. I think to live it was it was very much, but I really had a lot of financial problem back in twelve, twenty twelve and thirteen uh Germany. I think I really enjoy the people I work with, but to to like to live in Germany, I don't know. I'm not so so certain about it because you know, the culture difference is huge from India to Germany. But the people I work Sasha ancel Is, the tennis coach, milosch Colleges is the fitness center have been. I've known them for a decade now, working with them for six years. This is my seventh year now. Yeah, I think it's very tough to find people like them, you know, it's they become they become like family to me. I stayed with my tennis coach in his house, so there you go you know it's like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I've read that you are also inspired by Japanese culture, so you also love Japanese culture so much so that it has inspired some of your tattoos. Where where did that connection come from?
Speaker 3: I this came from Canada. So when I went to Canada, obviously I was very young, right, I was twelve thirty and I was alone. I was I would say I was staying with my coaches, but my parents were in India. I would go doing them maybe once a year, so so do do. Let's say, every time I would start missing my family, I would watch something try to get my mind out of it, you know. And that's how I picked up a lot of anime to to watch, to watch to trick it may back in time. You could watch so many episodes or so many great shows, so you know, not not like if I watch a movie, movie is done in nineteen minutes, but their animated chats has six hundred episodes, seven hundred episodes, so it would keep me busy. And that's how I started, you know, That's how I started watching it. And I grew up and I would always imagine, you know, how things would be if if Yeah, and from that imagination it went into into into liking the culture you mentioned.
Speaker 1: You know, you were alone when you were younger, developing your game overseas. It's quite a lot of sacrifice. What what character traits do you think has to do best in your career?
Speaker 3: It's very, very tough to say it because obviously there were moments where you would doubt yourself. You know, I think I think I had to build up a character going through so many, so many different things, going through so many good and bad days. I would say a lot of failures, a lot of setbacks. I there were time where you know, when I would walk from from a bus stop to to the house, I would cry sometimes, you know, uh would be so cold, but I didn't really want to walk because I know I never actually I never thought Canada would be so cold, right, I mean yeah, coming from India, Yeah, worst case, what is it? Two degrees and you go Canada as minus lipped in You're like, what is this? You nice say? But I also believe that for me, I felt like it was really necessary to go through that, to to to be to build that character. Like I said, I don't know if there's a name to it. I want to put it, but I think it's just mix mix of so many emotions, so many incidents that happened that that made me a person that I am today, and so simmer.
Speaker 2: When you think about the season starting really soon, it sounds like you're quite motivated to start in Australia. Return there, you know, start the season off on a good on a good note. Is this kind of the most excited you felt or the most motivated you felt for the.
Speaker 3: Bland slide all the start of the season. Yeah, well, there said I totally Like before last year, I never did well in Australia, never won a round. So I was like, yeah, whatever, you know, I would. I would already look for like February schedule, Like where do I start in February. When I'm telling you my Australian Melbourne trip has been for like three three four four days. Is that you come and you play, you go out, you come and you play soll But this time, like I said, I feel like I am a better player on those fast quotes. Now I can I can play better tether and I don't really care like who I play. Now I feel like I can, I can be there.
Speaker 2: We're happy to hear that you're excited to come to a city which is really good. Also there we remember last year you got to go to the end, which was a really cool chance for you to you know, indulge you a lot of cricket and say that's out and they're literally right next to each other. So yeah, what were your emotions like when you went to a ground that's as famous as the MCG was.
Speaker 3: Definitely unique, you know because I've never thought that tennis would take me to cricket and I actually got to got to play as well. I panted up for the first time life. Yeah, to play play with the red ball. I would say it was a very nice, very nice experience, very very nice experience. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: So obviously there's the Australia India Test Boxing Day in Melbourne.
Speaker 3: Does that in tasio at all?
Speaker 2: To come earlier to Australia to cash on cricket.
Speaker 3: I let's se if thing goes well, I don't mind it, to be honest, you know, with ourm landing at Dettlement because I haven't booked my Melbourne to whatever, I'm playing it.
Speaker 2: So if that works, our show And so if you look ahead to season twenty twenty five, not just Australia but as a whole. What do you do You have any goals that you're willing to share with us?
Speaker 3: Obviously, I think I would love to go for top fifty this year because it was my first year in one hundred. I think I was also seeing what tournaments to play, what not to play. I didn't really do quite well towards the end of the year. That was because of injury, a bit of schedule change, a bit of playing in the courts that I was not really comfortable playing. But it was very much a learning experience for me, you know, to play the play the really high high tournaments to the surface that I don't want to. But now I would say, like this year I will be a little bit smarter on how to schedule it, or the team will be and then I think, if if body stays well, I will lock to push your top fifty.
Speaker 2: Wow, VI, if that was so great, I'm really glad you sat ut that interview for us. I really enjoyed getting to meet him and talk to him. And also what incredible timing that he's due to arrive in Melbourne this week, just a few days before the Australia India Cricket Test across the bridge at the mcg and he said he might even go and watch the Boxing Day test, like it's amazing that he can do that.
Speaker 1: I imagine that he will be very excited to return to Melbourne, just as he had such great and support here this year. So many people will be really pleased to see him in return.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well, normally we'd end each episode with our usual spiel, but we've got an announcement to make, Viv. This is our final episode in the twenty twenty four season of The sit Down, and as of next week, we'll be bringing you a new season of The sit Down in our new home. So if you search for The sit Down in wherever you get your podcasts, you'll find us on our own feed and Viv, we begin the new season with a very special guest.
Speaker 1: We do indeed, we're excited to bring you the legendary Martina Hingis, who joins us for a long chat from her home in Switzerland, talking about all her tennis achievements, her thoughts on the game today, and her special connection to the is Drone Open.
Speaker 2: We can't wait to bring you that, and we've had a fantastic time bringing you our show this year in twenty twenty four, and we can't wait to do it again next year in twenty twenty five. We'll see you then, Viv look forward to it. Matt