Speaker 1: I'm always always, sir.
Speaker 2: Be careful love those.
Speaker 1: Umboo let We'll use your head. They will tear you lack a purple talk.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah, oh no no no.
Speaker 3: Hi. I'm Amanda and I'm Rumby.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Its lay It.
Speaker 3: We're in a long distance friendship that started over twenty years ago when we were in high school.
Speaker 2: We'll be talking about all things life, love, family, anything and everything else under the sun.
Speaker 3: Delve deeper with us because in life, you know my layers.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, oh.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, welcome, Welcome to a brand new episode of It's Layered, Amanda. This is a little special, right, it's a little you know, can you tell us what we're a little hot girl.
Speaker 2: It's the huge milestone of fifty our fiftieth episode, guys, in our fifth season, and it's episode five after fifth season.
Speaker 3: Yes, episode five of the fifth season, fiftieth episode. Do you see what we're doing there with the number five.
Speaker 2: This summer with the numerology five five five, so associated with change, so triple five. This could be changing location, change of a drop, change of relationships, something that's just you know, propelling you to the Next Dimension. So that sounds pretty good for a fiftieth episode.
Speaker 3: Think I love I love the dimension new dimension thing you just mentioned over there. It's really dope. I mean, honestly, we all we keep saying this that we didn't expect to be here, that we would get this far.
Speaker 2: And we have our little pop virtual hug because I could not have done this without you. You've made fifty pass by so quickly, Like how how.
Speaker 3: Especially considering we record like across the globe, So Charlie, if I tell you, guys, let you in on a little secret. And the worst when it comes to I'm always missing up times on time zone WI zones, they mess in my head. Worse if we're also recording someone in a different time zone to Blader of Us list.
Speaker 2: It's all work, guys, but it become plain, it's becomplex. It'd be like what am I doing? But like, seriously, we love doing what we do, and it's so fitting for the topic we've chosen today for this episode. Side hustle culture every day.
Speaker 3: I'm hustling every day. I'm hustling every day. Every day. I'm hustling. No, no, I don't even know what he says, but I'm like what he says, the way he says, Okay, yeah five culture. Yeah, Yeah, that's that's different kind of hustle. We're not not necessarily talking about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, g version of hustling. I ain't pushing no peace, I ain't pushing no drugs. I am just doing something else.
Speaker 3: Something else. So, Amanda, what is a side hustle to you?
Speaker 2: I think for me, it's just having Like obviously, we all got our nine to five or we all got what we went to school for, quote unquote, especially as Zim kids, we went to do whatever you need a degree and got a job. This is something you do literally on the side of that, whether it's something that brings you money or brings you joy, or you just do it for whatever reason. It's literally something on the side of your main hustle, which is just your main nine to five.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's the same for you?
Speaker 3: I completely agree, And I'm trying to find just like you're looking for something. Apparently, the term hustle comes from It's a late seventeenth century word that comes from Dutch Hutzalan hustle sinds three of them. Oh, and it dates back to the early twentieth century. So it's a Dutch word which means shake or toss, shake or top. Okay, So I guess what Amanda said about it being not tied specifically to your regular regular or nine to five, it implies it just something on the side, just doing like a side Also, you know how that hus is doing on the side, and I agree it's not aligned typically not aligned with what you're studying or what your full time job would be.
Speaker 2: Do you have or have you had something you consider side hustle.
Speaker 3: Yes and no. I mean yes, I've worked consulting in digital marketing, social media management and that kind of thing, so I've definitely done that. But I also do a lot of my hobbies but in a hussle way. I don't know how to explain it. So, for example, this podcast would be doing the side hustle. I've worked on other platforms and done other things, so definitely, I think it's always been something I've done, but I haven't looked at it necessarily as like, oh, my side hustle. It's just something I enjoy doing or do on the.
Speaker 2: Side, So it's more like to get the creative juices out rather than the hustle I hope this makes me money because that's what ends up happening right side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, So it's more hobby based. What about your I mean, I know what your side hustle.
Speaker 2: Is, but uh yeah, well definitely my styling business is what people would probably consider a side hustle, Charlie, when you're filling out forms, when you're ninety five and you're like, I got ten minutes, let me quickly do something. Yeah like it? That is I would definitely have to say that is a side hustle for me. It's something that I would in an ideal world where we get everything we want, it would not be a side hustle. That would be my main hustle and I will not be doing my nine to five. But obviously reality is reality, and it's a side hustle that I one day hope becomes my hustle. So definitely the podcast, definitely I've done. It's similar to you. I've done so many little things here and there to just keep the creative juices going. And I know a lot of friends who like bake, A lot of friends who I mean even babysitting when you want to have money on the side or wedding up hours. So it's like I get like one of those things that depends. The reasons will differ, but the ethos is the same that you're doing something apart from your main income.
Speaker 3: For sure, and obviously something that is it's become a hot hot thing, hot take. Like everyone wants to talk about side hustles and all that, like what's your side hustle? Why is there increasing pressure for having a side hustle? Like people like, what's your hussle? What's your side hustle? Like why do you think that's.
Speaker 2: I mean, definitely being Zimbabwean, it's economic. You know, if you're a teacher by trade for example, and what will you get paid? Peanuts? So you can't be then just relying on that, you know. Then that's why people do their chicken project or their baking project or whatever events. So I think it's just a lot of it ends up being economic. I mean even in the broader world or the Western society cost of living crisis, right, so people people want to have things and do things and travel, and sometimes that can't all come from the one pocket, the one pot, so people then try and make another. I think that's why there's an increasing pressure. But I also think there's this thing of being seen always to be working, working hard, you know, not just sitting down, not just relaxing. So it then perpetuates this whole you need to be doing your ninety five and then after ninety five need to come home and keep going like you just keep work, work, work, work, work, right, for.
Speaker 3: Sure, And I think we'll talk about the drawbacks in a little bit, but it's so right. And I think for people who are like yourself and I we always talking about this, who are doers, it can be a problematic mindset you have because it's like there's no off switch. And I totally agree. I think that the pressure is real from an economic standpoint. I was reading how the hassle culture started in the seventies with you know, the technological revolution as a in you could do more, faster, quicker. Then of course, by the time computers became a thing, it's like you're on the grind now, it's like you're grinding, grinding. But for me, as you talked about Zimbabwe, I also thought about it's I think it's historic right because it's like black people have been excluded in mainstream economies in a lot of or certain professions. You know, growing up you'd see my tach shops someone selling a little something on the side. So it's not necessarily like brand new, just like kale is not brand new to Zimbabwe. It's just putting it out there. We've been knowing. We've been a meal prepping ain't new. We've been known about that, like you know, recycling ain't new. We could go on, but I think it's been an integral part of our culture and system just for survival, like.
Speaker 2: Literally yes, yes, and educational levels too. And I remember, I mean we would look at maybe so much our generation, but definitely like our parents and older. You could only be a nurse, you could only be a teacher. So then if you because of a colonial rule, so if you're not going to be a nurse, not going to be a teacher, then what else can you do? So then it became like informal sector became bigger and bigger, you know, selling selling food or selling tomatoes, whatever it is to just pay for school feasons. A lot of people have been raised by side hustle culture. Absolutely, you know, it's not such a oh yeah, you know because most formal sectors in these countries are not working properly, so people have look elsewhere at all.
Speaker 3: And and actually a lot of people earn more from the side hustle than a man already spoke spoke about like you actually make more. Whether it's legal or not, that's now your business with yourself and the tax man. But you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think social media pushed it? Though? To me? Though, like I think longer I went and yeah, because influence has a side hackler.
Speaker 3: Yes, initially, typically yes, initially it's.
Speaker 2: Right before brands start approaching you and stuff. A lot of them are working nine to five, and then they decide, okay, now I'm actually making more money off TikTok or off YouTube or off I think.
Speaker 3: I think social media has just made it look more glamorous, and so the dream of like ooh, you two can live like this, which always this is the what's the thing conspiracy theory in me, it's like, why are they letting us black people live glamorous lives and like lux lives? Now all of a sudden, when they were holding us back, must be they hadn't someone else there, something else, But that's a conversation there than we do. They got exactly.
Speaker 2: They still got.
Speaker 3: More, but absolutely it's it's social media has made it more you know, acceptable and attractive because not everyone wants to side hustle selling tomatoes, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, yeah, yeah, do you reckon everyone's being on that? Do you reckon everyone's meant to be a hustler?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, My people know because zimbablegans are in the cutthold of a hustler every day.
Speaker 4: Your customers, Yeah, probably a hustler, exactly exactly have you have you seen this thing that was going around about jay Z denying his cousin like four thousand, three hundred US dollars or something, and everyone's like, hey, how could he?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: And I think he was being interviewed by Kevin Hart and he mentioned this and all the interview is old, but then this thing has come up and everyone's like, ah, I just give him. But it's like that energy, Like people have all these ideas all the time, but whether or not they come into fruition is a different story, you know, So not everyone is kind of made for that.
Speaker 2: And I feel like, even even though you're a hustler, the business plan or the the idea still has has to have some sort of structure, right, You're either gonna go and buy it, like I said for my Bearet for example, who Gemma spoke about not last season. You're gonna go and buy these clothes and then you're gonna have to have enough money to go and buy another bail to then go and serve it. And you have to have the customers you have to have. You have to compete because you know, my bet, when you go it's like the whole you know, stretch, and you have to be like, no, I got the best T shirt for you when someone's walking past. So it's not like and not everyone has that. Not everyone has that business acumen, not everyone has that interpersonal skills. And I think people just think and then I know Zimbabwe is definitely due to lack of That's why everyone now does a chicken project. But the whole ethos of it was that only those who can really do it should be doing it. You know, I can go to your ninety five, but not because there's no ninety five everybody would do.
Speaker 3: It's like when you're driving down the road and it's mango season. I mean obviously, because but everybody be selling the same thing. Like nothing differentiate and as a customer, you're like, what do I choose? But I've noticed even like the lady near my parents' place. I remember when I was home in April, I went to buy like some veggies and some tomatoes, but there was a distinct lady. She understood business. She was she was quick to reach out and be like, oh, I can give you this or whatever then quisa.
Speaker 2: Or you know, or even washing your hand thing with you to wash your hair. Yeah, I enhance and a plastic bag to carry my veggies home as well.
Speaker 3: It's just like on the basic level, and I don't think everyone has that. And I saw that and we spoke about it when I was planning for my Aurora where it's like you want to support local businesses, but sometimes local businesses don't want you to support them because there isn't that culture of like cultivating you know, good relationships and things like that.
Speaker 2: So no, yeah, I think that's the saddest form of hassler for me, the one who's doing it with no choice, yes, you know, because then it's like there's no calling to it, there's no I can do this to it. There is just I have to exactly when people are stuck in a corner. A lot of times we don't perform at our best. Yes, So I think like, yeah, even when it comes to Haustler's, it's like if you feel like this or nothing, it's like it loses that like that authenticity about it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Then that's when you don't get the plastic bag, when you buy your mangles.
Speaker 3: And you're just like, okay.
Speaker 2: It's angry with you, or you don't have change, my guy, someone else will be like mamm made change, and that's going to go exactly exactly difference and get angry with me exactly, or like the.
Speaker 3: Ones you put then nonsense tomatoes at the bottom of the dish. And then only when you open your plastic you're like, seriously, you know, repeat customers, you need to think about the things like she will tell me need to come. So I don't think everyone's is kind of wired that way. But what would you say are some of the benefits to the to the hussle culture or side hussle culture specifically?
Speaker 2: I suppose for me is that the the opportunities are endless, right as I said before, in Zimbabwe, especially where it's like education, education, education books, books, books, if you're not so inclined, then then can be another option for you. Right, You're not just gonna be like, oh okay, I didn't become a nurse or a teacher. What do I do now? They're like, okay, I can do this instead. And also we have what I like to call our God given gifts, you know, and it's nice if you can make something out of them. You know, sorry about bake and they give you the recipe, Like my child, my cake didn't turn out. It ain't work, the main thing. So it's like, why not be given your flowers quote unquote for your talents? You and I think in informal sectors or even as you said, a lot of times for black people, we've been shut out of these formal sectors. It's nice that it can we have another space where we can operate, you know, and also breeds creativity. I think people really I think outside the box more so than ninety five.
Speaker 3: And I think it's such a great like you and I have already mentioned, it's a great outlet, you know, for those of us who and especially we've talked about being an African child and the restrictions or the limitations to what you can do and who you can even though you know, yes, I have this, you know, I'm really into fashion and I can see and limited to okay, but you're studying science. It's like, okay, Yeah, if I don't get to do what I love off bat, I will study and get myself that job and then branch off into that at the Avenue. And it keeps us live because I think if we don't have those outlets, you're just like dying. Like this podcast has been such a reprieve and you know, therapeutic for us definitely when especially when the pandemic was at its height. You know, it can really do a lot for you. So I definitely see.
Speaker 2: And like if you think about a lot of the innovative businesses started out as side hustle. Yes, you know, it's not like even in the Western world, it's not like even Amazon and all that's starting people's garages, you know, they're not just like they're still getting to work and in the evening they're doing their side hustle hoping it becomes something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I think it just drives innovation, it drives thinking outside the box. Yeah, there's a lot of benefits to it.
Speaker 3: And I think when people do something that they really are called to. It also shows you that there's a place for everyone in this world. I feel like sometimes it's especially in formal sector, can feel very limited. You're not wanted too this. It kind of says, you know what, free game. And I think the Internet has been a blessing in that way to say, actually there's room and space for you. What you do with that room and space, now that's your your own issue, but it's just it just makes it validates you as a human, especially as minorities or those previously excluded from a lot of these sectors.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, yeah, What do you think could be the drawbacks then, because you're obviously pro we got the podcast pros exactly.
Speaker 3: I think the drawbacks burnout absolutely if you think about where it's the side hassle isn't your only hussle. You quickly burnout because when you come home when you're supposed to be resting, you are working, and it can lead to an imbalanced life and you have to be very intentional about taking the time out to rest. I think too, some of the drawbacks it the pressure. As we've mentioned that, oh we all need to have side house. What if I'm not wired then that way, what if the formal sector, But it seems the world often judges people are how could you not have a side hustle, you know, we can't survive anymore on you know, one means of in one stream of income, you need to have additional income sources and streams. So that whole culture has definitely led to a lot of burnout people over working themselves. And I think that's why as much as side hustole culture has been propelling forward during COVID and after as these last few years we've seen the great resignation or the silent resignation is the silent resis quiet twining, quiet quitting because people realize it's unsustainable. It often comes at the cost of your own well being and mental weal.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And speaking of being unsustainable, I think also financial, yes, because like sometimes side hustles then require capital and then people then use their normal hustle to then Now, but this has to work, you know, and like it loses that that fun aspect of it. It loses that it's like make or break right, there's like one of those that reality show is not a reality show, but whatever you want. A shark tank where you go on and you talk about your business and then you get investors, right, and then it's like that's great and all. But a lot of the questions they ask is how much money have you put into this? Yes? You know, and then they see how liable this viable? And hold the liability as well of this business because like people with thinking their houses, people thinking all their pay from the work for twenty years, then they got one day eureka, I'm gonna go and do this, and then sun all their money that they work so hard or into that one idea. And I think it's just because people have this, it has to work, it will work, and then they dream big, which is good, but unfortunately not everyone who dreams big gets to land where they're you know. So I think the drawback is that it makes you think, wow, I can do everything, but can you really? Is it feasible? You have to do calculated risk to see if this can work.
Speaker 3: It's definitely high risk in some regards, like if the investment is low and roads are high, that's great for you. But sometimes, as you mentioned, the the risk is high and then you invest a lot and there's a lot to lose, which can be challenging. Would you say that side hustles are a waste of time? I mean I think I kind of know. But when do you call it either way like yes or no it's a waste of time. When do you say, okay, it's a waste of time, or when do you say no, it's not a waste of time.
Speaker 2: I think for me, saying it's a waste of time sounds so dismissive, right, I think you need to gauge at yourself and see if it's worth your time. Okay, So like it's like, you know, yeah, like what you said so well about like you you just have to see, like, am I losing myself in this? Am I burning out to the point where it's like having said that, launching a business or anything, you're gonna have a bit of burnout, girl, You're gonna have a bit of So you now need to realize how much is too much? Only you know your boundaries, which we spoke about in our third episode. Only you know how far you're gonna go. Hopefully your family are also supportive enough, because you also have to think of the people. You have this pipe dream and then there's people around you also. Now I have to hold you up whilst you're having this dream of I'm gonna be this, I'm gonna be that, you know. And that's why I find the side hustles that come from people's like I want to call it, people's hands made my walk always say, I think of how to say it in English. But like you know, cooking or like doing hair, those side hushles tend to be not a waste of time for me because it's like you're being creative with something that.
Speaker 3: It's tangible, it's visible and ale yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: But when it comes to like doing business business and like starting on a tech company or something, it's like a different mindset.
Speaker 3: I feel different, mindset different.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 3: You so right as you said, you have to know yourself if you can handle it. And sometimes I think we don't really think about the cost of it, if that makes sense, Like yeah, yes, definitely, Oh I can do it if they can do it too. But everyone talks about the grind and how tough it is and how yeah draining it is, and for me, it's not worth it if you're doing it just because that's what everyone is doing. We also see it that now in Zim because the formal sector is very small for you to get a job or actually make a career for yourself. People are just like, well, okay, cheatah business, and it's like, that's not in world in white. I was never wired that way. So knowing yourself and being honest with yourself is a big, big thing. And also maybe just have a hobby. I've seen somewhere where people say, not every hobby is a side hustle. It's okay, does that a girl? Yes, just have the hobby. It's all right, yes it it's not necessary. But I wouldn't say just keep.
Speaker 2: It in your circle of influence. And it's all exactly.
Speaker 3: But I wouldn't say a side hustle is a waste of time. I think it's sustained many families, many communities. It's necessary. It's been a necessary part of our history and our modern day age. So we can't discount it at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we have to also remember forever and launches the business. The probably ten other ones that failed, you know what I mean, like the one that ends up making it that people know about. There's a few that they would have stopped started, you know. Lemonade stand when you're young kids all the way to like all these things. They also teach you a lot of things that textbooks and stuff can't teach teach you, you know, approaching people and trying to have customer service and all that stuff is it's it's hard to teach. You just have to experience it and see how it is for yourself. So it's not always you know, yes, financially people could look at it like that, but there's other ways we're growing that are not always financial.
Speaker 3: True, But I think a lot of especially where we come from, everything is tied to okay, Marie, or what do you got or what are you able to gain from this? Unfortunately?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what are you doing this for? Like I'm sure our parents even think, okay, girls, you got a podcast? And then you feel like it's like what where is this going? What are you going to be doing a radio show? Like it has to be going somewhere for them to be like, oh, okay, you know, not just but it's like, okay, what if I just enjoy doing something that's not good enough?
Speaker 3: Yes and getting answered listen to that advice, so now you must And it's like and.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, so you've you've done this business, are you dispersed it? Because last time I changed, you couldn't set your tomatoes. Okay, don't now come and tell me that. But yeah. Thinking about family though, what type of support would you expect from family and friends when you have a side hustle.
Speaker 3: It's a good question because there's often a debate of are you expected. Are your family and friends expected to your clients to expect to be your clients buy from you. I think the most important support is talking through your ideas, say you know you can do this, or you know, share what you're doing, and if they're able to help invest, that's all well and good. If they're able to support and purchase, that's all well and good. But you will have people who will support you from your family and friends. But I don't think the expectation that erybody is going to support you, It's impossible. I think it's more to do with the emotional mental support, sometimes physical. If you need to package your goods, be like, hey, honey, that is what we need to be doing, and then they talk exactly for you, Amanda. As a working mom, if your side hustle, someone needs to look after Jerome, It's like okay, and someone saying okay, I will babysit so and so so. In that way, I think that's really helpful support connecting you to people saying have you thought about this? Or you know, sometimes being your champion when you lose faith in yourself, all those kinds of ways. Whether or not they buy from you, I don't think you should take it as a given.
Speaker 2: They don't want to domato because maybe your tomatoes.
Speaker 3: Down the road.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, so.
Speaker 3: Let them let them.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's been My biggest lesson has been that, I think in having a side hustle over side business that my friends and family. Look, it's especially in Zimbabwean culture, especially in African culture, we tend to be a bit hales. So it's like, yeah, we need endorsement from other people to be like, oh, my sister is actually doing something cool, you know what I mean. Sometimes sometimes we realize it ourselves, but as the culture this general, we tend not to yes, you know you like see like Indian people, for example, once one opens the business, the whole street gonna end up being you know, and that's they just have that like they have that business acumen that we I guess do a lot of reasons we do not have quite as much. And I find like I think sometimes when I walked into my business, I expected that that everyone supports me and lifts me up. But then I realized that, yeah, my friends and family aren't my clients. Like, yeah, it's great if they do and do become that, but I shouldn't expect it. It's almost like just expect the worst and then you know, you get whatever you get as a bonus. Yes, because then in the day, you in yourself. You have to be your biggest champion. You have to be your biggest because in the day, yeah, I can help you post your stuff, I can take care of Jerome, but if I can to last minute, you guys to still be able to make it work.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean exactly.
Speaker 2: So it's almost like it's nice if you have it, great if you do, but it's not the end of the world if you if you don't.
Speaker 3: And this is a question for the listeners, I really want to understand, why can we not just support especially zimbabwek We've alluded to this many an episode, We've touched on it, and what is it in us as a people? We really struggle. I just want to understand the cater ration holeration in the dancery. Okay, we took it and ran with it, and I don't understand it. It's really a question. Maybe one day someone will answer it. But as we continue, at what point do you feel that the side hustle stops being a side hustle and becomes the main chick? You know, it's not the sad piece.
Speaker 2: No side piece now and it ends up being financial? Right? And how much time it's making taking away from your other stuff that you do, if you're willing to take the risk, if you're willing to make the jump all those questions. At some point, it's like your business. And maybe when it grows beyond your side astle grows beyond you, maybe when you hire someone else, maybe when you know room is not just only packing up the packages for me. Now I'm paid, you're a little bit of the salary salary, you know, maybe maybe when you pay yourself so like I think that, yeah, it ends up being financial. I think in most cases, yeah, sure, when you can sustain yourself financially in some sort of way you want to do.
Speaker 3: Or you can see the that at this trajectory. It makes sense for me to make it the full time because not everyone puts the side hustle in the midst of like it's being you know, more financially profitable than your nine five. But you can project and see the trajectory is going on. It requires one time and dedication. So then I have to say, okay, bye bye, let me put my full effort into this.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, you have to do the risk analysis and you see.
Speaker 3: This analysis.
Speaker 2: You have to make sure, yeah, you have to see it's gonna make sense because.
Speaker 3: I don't think we are educated in business terms as a society, let alone as a community Zimbabwean community. It's not normal to be taught like, okay, do the business plan, what's the cost benefits? What the risk analysis?
Speaker 2: Have you done? What analysis have you? You know, it's it's kind of just well starting people will be like, oh my chickens cost three dollars and you're okay, how did you get to that number? Yes, and it's blinglingk blingling. It's like okay, how like literally we do not have Yeah, we just do what something like like the for Zimbove with especially, we literally just do what someone else is doing. You know, and it's like, oh this worked for such and such a should work for me. But so I guess that just chosen back to not everyone's meant to be a hassle, because there's no intention with approaching it that way.
Speaker 3: For sure, I have a question for you. Do you have what side hassle a part of you your world or with your family growing up or even now, did you see it happen?
Speaker 2: Definitely, yes, I have to admit, like my parents got a farm. Before getting farms was like I think you know what I mean, And then they start selling chickens. Actually my dad I think was just the ninety five years. It's like Charlie, I'm fine over her, but my mom was like I want more, which was always more creative. So if I remember like dressing chickens and like getting them ready, then we used to like drop them off at Zetirapy there's like a depot just outside of town, and like they yeah, that's that was like a one client obviously, and it would like stick all these stickers on them with But like I think she just had that in her, like I and I think because I saw her obviously doing the finance thing, but I also saw her doing that on the weekends. It's kind of like was like, Okay, you can make this work. I do not think at any point I obviously will not know, but I do not think at any point she thought I'm gonna quit finance and totally do this. But I think it was there was something in her where it was like, we have this farm, let's utilize it, you know. Yeah, And I think I guess because I saw that, I also had the privilege and the freedom to think, this is something I can do. So I think a lot of stuff a lot of times, but don't also think of it because it comes from fear. We can't do things we've never really seen represented well. Yes, you know, and especially in the black community, if you haven't seen someone doing well with a side hustle, you'd be like, don't do side hustling because you're just gonna sink your money and all this stuff. Yeah, But the opposite of that is it sometimes can wait can work for sure? What about you?
Speaker 3: I definitely thought my mom became a housewife when we were kids, when we moved to South Africa specifically and when you moved to ghan and she was really taken by Bautique printing and all tie and eye and what sort of you know that thing of like my wife has her side, you know, just a project to keep her busy. I really think that's how it started out. But my mom really ran with it and started. She went to different courses and by the time we moved back to Zimbabwe, it was a business she started for herself. When we were back home, they even updated a certain portion of the home so she could have the screen printing and the TI dyeing. She you cell and she had a shop at sam Levey's village at some point and so on and so forth. Then I think when my parents got their farm, that kind of had to be sidelined and she had to focus on helping. And then she also went on courses like farming pigs, farming this. So she was and right now she started a new hustle which she does in the city with chickens and it's growing. She started off small and then now you know, catching up, getting bigger, more clients. And I really think women are good at side.
Speaker 2: Huss said, have you seen that women and women are the ones really on the backbone of side hustle culture. A lot of times people will tell you. I put my kids through school, waking up early to go and sell my flusit like seriously, because we also we have no pride.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, women are not afraid to to to do what is deemed as low.
Speaker 2: Even going to England to be nurses and whatever. That is also a side hustle at the time because at the time when all this nursing stuff started, cos these jobs that are going started, the care work, all this stuff that started, the men need to be convinced, and the women went and would be like, Okay, how many men.
Speaker 3: Up, Yes, exactly exactly so.
Speaker 2: And I think that's what I was saying before. We're alluded to before that you can't think it's beyond you, you can't make it, take it personally. You just have to do what you need to do. You know what I mean for sure? And yeah, do.
Speaker 3: What she needs to do it it's inspiring. And I think I definitely get my creative side from my mom. I think my dad has a creative side on in his own tip like visually he sees things esthetically a certain way, and I think I get that from him. But my mom definitely, and she also has I can't do She's like, figure it out, bright and.
Speaker 2: Which I?
Speaker 3: Which I? And she's not an overthinker like me. I think that's what really propels her on some of us. I'll be doing the cost benefits, lashdown run. I'll be like, what's the cost benefit, what's the ratest, what's the the you know which sometimes can you know inhibit you paralysis analysis. I'll just drop that in there because we're gonna get to that a little treat at the end of the episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So any advice though, how to navigate this space.
Speaker 3: I think that when it comes to side hushold culture, you need to do something that you stand tent toes down behind. It needs to be something that you can believe, at least from what I have witnessed. It needs to be something that it pushes you. Honestly, though some people succeed in businesses that maybe they don't care about, knew nothing about before and all that. But you need to be confident in it, and Santano's down that you can do it. It's about a self belief and always think about what can what something different I can bring to the table that would be availume to people, and who are my clients who's my audience and why should they care about what I have to say or do or provide them. I don't know what advice you are really in the side.
Speaker 2: I definitely I think we also need to remember that we're in positions of service, you know what I mean. When you have your business, especially when you're in the grassroots level, you don't have twenty people working for you. So don't act like you do child like you know what I mean, Like, just humble yourself, be there for your clients. Like all we're talking about about the people who run to go and get changed or give your plastic bag or give you a bit of suce with your mango. Yes, wash your hands, like, just be in a season of service, yes, because that just keeps growing and growing. And people then do do word of mouth because you treated them well? Do word of mouth because they see your talent. You know. I hate it when you see hairdresses and they make you wait four five hours, they cancel on you the day before, they do all of this. Yes, we need your services, of course, but make me want to come back, yes, you know, make me not go look at me? You also does it, because come on, we're not unique. We all if you look you even these days with the internet, if you look for one hairdresser, you'll find tens, you know what I mean. So it's like, what makes you, as you said, what makes you stick out? What's your little extra to make your extraordinary? What's that little say that that makes you think, Okay, only room we can do my hair? You know, only room we can sell me these tomatoes?
Speaker 3: Yes, you know.
Speaker 2: So it's like, I think we lose that and and nowadays we just think if you don't want to do with my time or no, like we're we're in a season of service to our time.
Speaker 3: And repeat customers are really valuable because the effort to gain new customers is so much harder as opposed to someone I trust. I trust Amanda, and I'm going to ask you every time to help me with my starling. If you didn't know Amanda is a stylist, we might have some new listeners over years.
Speaker 2: So she like what if that's what she does?
Speaker 3: And also for shoots, and she also does consultations.
Speaker 2: Why we're friends like these, how can I fail?
Speaker 3: We need to know we met, Let them let them know, let them she's you know, she's got a certification from the Australian Institute Styling Institute Institute. She she got it, she got got it. That's an she'd be educated educated and she also got the style. And if you want to see some of her work for my wedding.
Speaker 2: And styling, she gonna be way too much credit. You got that, I your mom.
Speaker 3: I definitely got it. But she just also added obviously her little time. Remember the photographer, I know we're digressing. Remember the photographer for my check wedding. We laid out, you laid out the dresses and so including my mom's dress. I think my mom had moms.
Speaker 2: Dress our dresses, yes, yes, and then your beauty is waiting dress.
Speaker 3: He was like, who who styled this? And I was like and he was so sure he was sugar, And I was.
Speaker 2: Like these check people now let him now. He was like okay, he was really sure. We digress, but like, yeah, we digress. But also maybe that's another point of advice. Be your biggest cheerleader in the room. Like I remember, like I went to the seminar and like Americans are so good with self promoting, like we were. It was like a podcast thing and they were like, you know, even when someone's a guest on a podcast and make it sound like they owned the podcast, you know, like Australians have told Poppy syndrome. You know, don't be seen being too you know, egotistical, but it's like it's a mixture of both. Don't be like a nose about it. But at the same time, also let people know this is what I do. I can help you. I can advertise yourself a little bit for sure.
Speaker 3: And you know the ones who are confident, so what's up? Aunties and uncles, they just be sending you there thing and I just sign up to know I'm not auture.
Speaker 2: But WhatsApp that's coming clutch with those business blah blah blah, because now you know what do you need the website for what do you need? Like it's such a good informal sector because people can put their photos of their cakes and they're stapping. You're like bless us, you know, like for roombes, for roombs are hands in her We had one of my girls that I know from ZIM and she literally when I got her number, I just saw the platters she had to offer. It was just so easy and I thought, WhatsApp.
Speaker 3: It's really helpful for those that's good advice. And man, get your nice profile my photos because even business cater the caterer for Rota, like the snacks after the blessing, before the mail, it was just on what tapp. I just looked. I was like, Okay, that sounds good. Even the cake lady like it helped goes a long way and I loved them even to these this day, like my makeup artists and ZIM and the promo on on WhatsApp.
Speaker 2: She just themn like get your get your work, work work. I also realized that there is work behind it. Be ready to work, be ready to show up and show out and make people remember you in a good way. Yeaes for sure.
Speaker 3: She was actually and she had behind the scenes that came like she was just wanting. Sheign yes, brought her formal makeup chair.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, you know what we need to do a whole list and just like real advertise all those girl because they're doing things and they've been doing things.
Speaker 3: Hayman class make up by patience. If you wanted to know, justh God, this has been so so refreshing and I thoroughly enjoyed this conversation this topic. We hope you've enjoyed talking about it. But before we go, before I let you go.
Speaker 2: For our fiftieth episode, ROOMBI, what do we have for the peoples we have.
Speaker 3: So excited talking about, you know, hustling fiftieth episode, we have launched our website. Yes, finally, five seasons in. Yes, might be late for some of y'all, but it's right on time for us.
Speaker 2: We have our perfect timing.
Speaker 3: For perfect timing, we have our website. It's at www dot It's late podcast dot com. Why are website, Amanda, what's the point? Why should they care?
Speaker 2: Well? Our tagline is delve deeper, right, So what better way to do that than to get to know us more, get to know more about our episodes, get to know more about our thoughts, get to share as a community. Than having a website, it's like the perfect landing page to just to just be as one. You know we will. This episode is a perfect example of that. We're big supporters of sharing things. And I've learned this, what if you learned? Let's come together, let's chat about it. The ethos of ours of our podcast, and so the thought the website is just the perfect way to bring all them thoughts into one, don't.
Speaker 3: You completely, absolutely, and we'll be will we're blogging again, Amanda and I, so we'll be sharing a bit of you know, some of the things that we want to talk about. You can also subscribe so that you get the latest information first. We're just so excited to just take it to the next step. You know. One thing about Side Hustles is I think progression for us as individuals and as a duo with this podcast is so important. So we constantly surprise to some or not. We constantly ask ourselves like what else can we do? But we also try to grow in a sustainable at a sustainable rate because we know that we have a lot going on in our lives, so we we obviously don't want to start something and then you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And also to make it our episodes somewhat more accessible as well, Like I mean, if you're gonna be jumping off Spotify or Apple Podcasts or any of the places where you get your podcasts normally, it's nice for us to have our catalog elsewhere somewhere where we own as well as black women, very very important for us to own our own stuff. And the website is a perfect place because it's it's ours. I mean, hey, who knows, one day we might just be like, oh the episodes on the podcast and podcast only, yeah only, you never know, so that could be our growth, that could be our goal. But definitely check it out, tell us what you think. Subscribed and right along on this journey with us for sure.
Speaker 3: So that's our ZIM shout out to be shouting out ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yes we can, Okay, bet on ourselves half that we are every day. Yeah, but we're upside.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, so shout out. Please check us out. Will leave all the information in the show notes, and also shout out to all our listeners, all our new listeners, everyone who dms us.
Speaker 2: We see you.
Speaker 3: We appreciate you, seriously, seriously, like we keep hitting different milestones and as we said earlier, the little podcast that could, and we keep coulding.
Speaker 2: So we're greateful that we keep going. At some point we're not going to be the little podcast anymore. We're gonna just be like, Okay, we appreciate the journey. Fifty episodes is no joke. There's blood, sweat and tears behind these episodes. We do our episodes with intent because we we wanted to provide something that we were looking for as well, you know, And and we're so happy that you guys are engage with us, engaging with the content, engaging with the guests that we have this season, our Barbie season Barb. So please keep cheering this episode fifty today, but the other rest of the season is coming along and you've still got many more surprises for you.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, thank you so so much. Thanks, and thank you for listening, tuning in, share it with your friend, your friend's friends, your auntie, your uncle, whoever you think can enjoy this episode and all our previous episodes. And we will see you guys on the next one. Take care everyone, bye.
Speaker 2: We will tell you lack a purple
Speaker 1: Talk no no, no, yeah yeah yeah yeah