Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by quantas the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again, this season, Quantus is pradsbby flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. WELLI welcome to The Unplayable Podcast. Josh on It Binker here to bring you this week's episode and ahead of the Under nineteen World Cup Semifinals, we've got Charlie Latchman Johnny Us as a special guest. He's been killing it with the ball from his four matches, he's already got twelve wickets in the tournament and he's going to be one of the keys as Australia take on England in their semi final, which is on Tuesday, February third. Those matches can be watched on Prime Video live and exclusively in Australia. Let's run you through their tournament so far, just in case you haven't been keeping across the Aussies. But there's been lots to be excited about. They started with an eight wicket victory over Ireland. The Irish battered first got two hundred and thirty five, but the Assy's chased it down pretty comfortably. Steven Hogan, who's been one of the stars with the bat, got one hundred and fifteen and the Test Samuel seventy seven not out. He's been a bit of a quiet achiever. He's been opening the batting, but he's been not out in three of his five innings so far, so very impressive stuff. That then played Japan, who impressively got two hundred against them. They got to bat first, but then Australia. You may have seen this one in the headlines. Will Malichek came out and scored one hundred and two or fifty five balls, the fastest century in under nineteen cricket. Very impressive stuff from him, and of course the Test Samuel at the other end was there with sixty not out, so another eight wicket victory for Australia. That then got to play Sri Lanka, who by no means a week side and you'll hear Charlie talk about his memories of this one. He took two wickets in this one. His new ball bowling partner Will Byram took five to fourteen, so seven wickets between them, and they rolled the Shrilankans for fifty eight, setting up a very comfortable nine wicket victory. South Africa were the next team to to face the Aussies and it was Australia again who their bowling display was just outstanding. Latchman three for twenty nine Australia after bowling out South Africa for only one hundred and eighteen, they then got to their total with four wickets down and six in hand, so six wicket victory got them there, Steven Hogan again doing the business with the bats forty three not out from him. And then finally in their last match of the Super Sixers, which has propelled them into the semifinals, they had to take on the West Indies and for the first time this tournament, Australia got to bat first. They did it pretty well too, on a tricky wicket that sort of suited the spinners. They got seven for three hundred and fourteen. Only Peak was the star with one hundred and nine really anchored that innings got them up passed three hundred, and it proved to be pretty important too, because after eleven overs the West Indies were none for eighty eight. They were zooming along in their chase, but some really good Captaincy and some good bowling from the slower bowlers for Australia brought them back. They finished twenty two runs short in the end, and it was Latchman, that man again who took the most wickets. After copying a bit of heat right at the start of the innings, he came back well and finished with four for sixty six. So now Australia take on England in that first semi final. As I said, it's India and Afghanistan in the other one. It's going to be great fun to watch. It's in Bulawayo tonight in Zimbabwe. Nice evening time slot for the Aussies as well, so you can tune in certainly to that first innings and if things are going well, he may as well stay tuned in for the second innings. So I was touched on off the top that chat with Charlie Latchman, Australian fast bowler. It's come out very shortly. We'll get to him in just a second, but let's get across what's been happening with the Aussie men's team. They've just completed a three match series in Pakistan t twenty matches ahead of that T twenty World Cup, and it didn't go so well as you may have seen. Three nil Pakistan that one. They won the toss and batted first the hosts in all three matches, and all three matches were in Lahore as well, by the way, so no moving around, just straight into it, bang bang bang, and they won pretty comfortably twenty two runs in the first match, ninety runs in the second, and one hundred and eleven runs in the third, which was the biggest defeat that Australia have ever suffered in T twenty internationals. The previous worst all the previous year biggest loss was one hundred runs to England way back in two thousand and five, right before that famous Ashes series took place. Pakistan actually outscored Australia by a combined two hundred and seventeen runs for the series. You have to go back to a series between Belgium and Malta, yes, those two famous rivals, back in twenty twenty two to find a series with a greater discrepancy between the runs. On that occasion, Belgium were better than the Maltese by two hundred and eighty eight runs, so some ways ahead of this one, but Pakistan were obvious see the bit of team Australia didn't manage any fifty run stands for the whole series. The highest score individually was Cameron Green's thirty six and as pointed out by Loui Cameron on cricket dot com dot Au today, Gazi's lost twenty two wickets to spin in the three matches, which is their most ever in a three match series or any tournament of any length twenty two wickets. Abra Ahmed, the leg spinner, took six, Mohamed Noah's took seven and Usman Tarik took two. Including having a little back and forth with Australia around a Cameron Green, I'll be very interested to hear Kane Richardson's thoughts on that little back and forth when he returns to the pod very shortly. There have been a couple of changes to Australia's TEA twenty World Cup provisional squad as well, now that the ICC needed those squads locked in. At the start of this month, Pat Cummins is out he couldn't get over that lumbard backstress issue that's been plaguing him for the best part of six months now. And he's been replaced by Dousis to the left arms, so that at least gives Australia in a left arm pace option given that Mitchell Stark is now retired from the format. The other surprise was that matt Short he was dropped from this squad. He's fully fit and he's playing in that Pakistan series, but he has been replaced Matthew Renshaw has been preferred to him. The explanation given was that Renshall is very strong against spin. They're expecting to come up against a lot of that, especially in those Sri Lankan hosted matches. And yeah, he's obviously just recently debuted in the format as well. He made that first appearance for Australian ten twenties just in that most recent series against Pakistan. So congratulations to Renshaw and to Dorcius who come into that squad. Sean Abbott is another one who's coming in not into the official squad but as a traveling reserve because there are a couple of injury clouds amongst that squad of fifteen that Australia have chosen still ahead of this tournament. Josh Hazewood isn't in the Subcontinent just yet. He's still recovering from his achilles injury in Sydney, so he'll join at the later date. And there are injury clouds of Adam Zampa, who didn't bat because of a groin issue in the third T twenty against Pakistan, and hamstring issues to Nathan Allis and Tim David. But the hobout Hurricanes pair both couldn't finish the most recent Big Bash because of those injuries, but they've both traveled over and are both hopeful of playing a big part for Australia in this tournament. The selectors may be thinking that they've got a bit of time to allow these injuries to heal and to get their team right because the early round of this tournament Australia have some matches against some very lowly ranked opponents. Ireland is their first opponent they ranked eleventh in the world. Then they play Zimbabwe who are ranked twelfth. They've got a match against Sri Lanka there, who are always strong at home of course, and then the other team in their group is O'man and they ranked twentieth in the world. So Australia we need to finish in the top two of those five to get through to the Super sixers, where if they do progress, we already know that they'll play the likes of India, South Africa and the West Indies and so because of those matches at the start, I think Australia will be thinking that if they can just get those wins, then they can bring in the big guns and those first choice players when the whips really will be cracking. Finally, let's have a look at the domestic stuff and if you're listening to this podcast when it comes out on Tuesday third while, there's lots of domestic crickets going to be across your screens on cricket dot Com, dot Au and the CAAA Live app. Two matches in the WNCL last year's final, we've got a rematch of New South Wales versus Queensland and South Australia who have been very impressive recently. They take over Victoria and then in the One Day Cup of the men's edition, Victoria are playing at the MCG they are hosting Queensland. That those two always put on a good show, so it'll be a good one to watch as well. All Right, it is time jump into our chat with Charlie Latchman all the way over from Zimbabwe at the Under nineteen World Cup. Hopefully he's going to be fit and far to bring home some more silverware for Australia. All the way from Zimbabwe. We're joined now by Charlie Latchmond, who has been starring with the ball at the Under nineteen World Cup. Charlie, welcome mate. Have you been enjoying the tournament so far?
Speaker 2: So good?
Speaker 3: I haven't really, I said, I haven't really been a part of anything like this before, and yet it's good to sort of, you know, get that insight into how big the stakes are and how serious people treat it. And yeah, it's just awesome to play against some of the best players in the world for our age group, which is unreal.
Speaker 1: You've been part of the under nineteens for a little while. But is this your first trip overseas playing cricket or have you done a bit of travel already.
Speaker 2: Ah, yeah, it's my first cricket trip overseas.
Speaker 3: I hadn't been overseas since I was like seven years older to the US, so it's quite foreign to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I came over here. I was a bit rattled about what was going on.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's good to sort of be back in that sense because there's so different over here the way things work, you know, food and everything. Yeah, it's good. Good to sort of adapt and be able to maintain performance what's being over here with different environments.
Speaker 1: Well, even the power sockets are different, aren't they. Like you can't just plug in your Aussie charge all right, you've got to get the African ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was panic stations at the airport.
Speaker 3: Everyone was trying to trying to go to the store to get it.
Speaker 2: Thank you God for a helpful lady. But yeah, it was good, very different, very different here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're in a great part of the world. Obviously he's in Barbe. And then maybe you have some amazing sights to see. Have you been able to get out much and do a safari or something like that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, do the safari in Namibia. It was a sunset safari. Yeah, that was that was interesting. You've never done anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was good to see the animals.
Speaker 3: I mean, some of the lines weren't too keen to poke their face out, which is the one I wanted to see.
Speaker 2: But you know, you got to see elephants, zebras, you know, all the cool stuffs. Yeah, it was. It was good because.
Speaker 3: You know, you're quite confined in the hotel and the cricket environment and it was good to sort of get out and do something else other than cricket and watching TV.
Speaker 1: That's great and I imagine don't get too any elephants into Woomba, so oh nice little When did you learn that you'd made the under nineteen squad? Do you remember getting a call or was there a text message sent out? Talk us through that moment and what you sort of were feeling at the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was kind of at the end of the nineteens National Championships in Perth, which is a great time.
Speaker 2: Loved it. Some of the best tournaments you'll ever go to.
Speaker 3: And with the airport going back to Brizzy and yeah, our Queensland coach Greg Moller came up and shook my hand and said congratulations mate, you've made it, and I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good.
Speaker 3: I was pretty stoked and it was good to see the other Queensland boys that I was on the plane with share that experience, you know, Stevie Hogan, Jade and Draper and Ben Gordon. It was pretty special to see so many Queenslanders in the squad and be able to you know, celebrate a good week in Perth and then to top it off the Aussie side and yeah, no it was good. And then obviously Tim Nielsen sent the message to say I was in.
Speaker 2: So it was yeah. I was very stoked. Mom and dad very happy. Yeah, it was nice.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. Any family coming over for the tournament at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mum and dad came and my sister Lawla came over. Fantastic Namibia which was awesome. They originally weren't going, but they yeah, they got quite greedy and couldn't miss out on the opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they So they've loved it.
Speaker 3: They're just they're not seen the Zimbabwe in games.
Speaker 2: Just you know, it's a bit pretty tough to sort of organize that stuff short term.
Speaker 3: I know some of the parents have and they've obviously got back to work, but yeah, they've they've loved it. They've loved the the difference. So, yes, I was talking about something different. They've been in Australia for a while now, they've been overseas for.
Speaker 2: A bit, so it was good for them.
Speaker 3: To obviously watch some unbelievable cricket and also just see the sites, which is nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. And to see their son and brother get a few wickets is a good thing as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: It looks like a pretty tight, you know, close knit team from what we see on TV. And you mentioned those Queenslanders that are in the squad with you. Who are you closest to it and who are your best mates or have you made some mates from other states that might have surprised you at the start of the tournament.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think i'd send in an earlier interview there. It's a bit of a special group that everyone kind of gets around each other, you know that you never see a team room not packed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's good. You know, I knew some of the boys from the Indian series. It's good.
Speaker 3: Became really close mates with them. Obviously my Queen's they mates are you know, some of my some of my best mates. But yeah, I've met some new blokes across the States that you know, you know, proved to be really valuable blokes and you know, I'm definitely keeping contact with them going forward.
Speaker 1: That's great. Before we get into the actual cricket itself. When you're not playing cricket, Charlie, what do you do to pass the time? Do you have hobbies or your fishermen? And do you play other sports? Do you what do you get up to.
Speaker 2: Or do.
Speaker 3: I guess because I've just finished school so it was quite not a whole lot going on outside of cricket, and that.
Speaker 2: I do love my phone, I love a doom.
Speaker 3: Scroll, but yeah, it's not really I probably need to adapt to a hobby and yeah, I guess I'll start UNI soon, so I guess that'll take up a lot of the time as well, so I'll find something.
Speaker 1: Now, do you have a course locked? Isn't you going to study?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm studying law at QT, starting at the end of at the end of next month, which will be nice bit of change of.
Speaker 2: Scenery outside of the boring, boring Monton just life of school. Yeah, I'm sure will provide some entertainment.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there'll be some boring moments too, so it's not all going to be sunshina rainbows. So yeah, you're over there in Zimbabwe now. Now I have heard you say that there were a few differences between playing in the midbra and playing in Zimbabwe. Can you just explain sort of that because from an Australian point of view, I would have assumed all of Southern Africa would be pretty similar, but that hasn't been your experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the Midea was very similar to the Dexter playing Australia.
Speaker 2: Quite yeah, as I said, bouncy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes it was a bit different because we played on different wickets, but there were certain like similar characteristics that obviously the bounce, some of tennis Bawley and then yeah, just pretty flat. It was kind of it was really good cricket wickets, you know, for good games. It proved the bowling first in the morning, which is quite nice. You know, it had a bit of stuff early and it became quite flat in the afternoon, which I think that's very similar in the games that I played in Australia. However Zimbabwe is a bit different. Yesterday, the wicket we played on it was lovely stadium, but very very crumbly wicket, very flat, dry, Yeah, it was. It was very different. I hadn't really played on anything like it. The footing was a bit tough for me, but yeah, it was spinner friendly as you saw on the scorecard. The spinners blowed the house down. They proved very useful, you know, Naden Core and oron Sharma they you know, they set the game up really, I mean Nayden got the big wicket of old made it was whacking them.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was. It was very different. Pretty low and slow, that's what i'd say. And crumbly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the West Indies gave you guys a bit of a run for your money, which is sort of the first close game you've had in the tournament. That must be good though, to show that you guys are able to get over the line in close games as well, coming to the point end of the season of the tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: As we spoke about even out in the field so that it's going to be good, we needed to have a game like that that sort of challenged our bowling because you know, the other games mightn't have been you know, they're a little bit more in sided in our bowling innings. There are a couple of early scares against Ireland and et cetera. But yeah, it was good to sort of get a vibe of what it's going to be like in the semi final. And we've played India before, we understand that they go about a similar business in the power play, just trying to take on the game.
Speaker 2: Hit the ball hard, hit a lot of boundaries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was it was actually awesome to sort of get in that different contest and you know, find ways to win, because I guess that's.
Speaker 2: What good teams do.
Speaker 3: They always find a way to win games, no matter how the circumstances say. It was a little bit messy at the start, but yeah, it's good to sort of clean it up and then get the job done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, sometimes you just got to win ugly as well, and that's fine. Speaking of that India series, mate, you dismissed that Indian gun Shrivanshi, didn't you was a nice delivery. And there's every chance at Australia will have to play India again in this tournament. I mean, what is it like coming up against someone like that who's already got a massive international reputation and yet he's still only playing under nineteens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty good. I didn't really.
Speaker 3: I hadn't played against him before, some of the boys had in an early India series. But yeah, it was quite because it was a little bit weird that, you know, you're staring down the barrel of a bloke who's you know, scored a scored one hundred god knows how many balls in the IPL against some of the best bowlers in the world. Yeah, and now you're bowling to him. It's a bit you know what's going to happen here. So it's kind of once you saw I guess I found Once I you know, you know, started bowling to him.
Speaker 2: You know you can kind of pick up, you know, ways to.
Speaker 3: You know, find ways to get him out and you know, even not not just get him out, but you know, restrict him, which is quite difficult as you've seen the scores. But it's it's a very different sort of thing playing against India because you know, they take on the game in different ways and play that you know, dictate the game.
Speaker 2: How they want to do it. And it's even more satisfying when you get to stop them from going about their business.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, we can just ignore those teammates getting past the back.
Speaker 2: About two of them tried to walk in before and one's placed his head in.
Speaker 1: Olipeak has called you the fastest bowler in the attack. What it has been the fastest you've been clocked out to your knowledge.
Speaker 2: I haven't been clocked on along and a bit. I was clocked in the Indian Series.
Speaker 3: I was around the mid one thirties, but over clocked two years ago, about eighteen months ago at Queensland Cricket that was one thirty seven, right, wow, So I don't know whether that's increased or not. Who knows, but yeah, it's it's almost kind of when there's a speed gun at the ground, you kind of go against putting on the spot and you're like, I'm just trying to.
Speaker 2: Wrap it up here.
Speaker 3: So it's almost it's kind of it's kind of good that sometimes you're not getting gunned. But yeah, it's it'll be interesting to see what the current speeds I'm going at. Yeah, as I said, who knows if I've increased and might have gone backwards, but yeah, good.
Speaker 1: Surely for the semi finals and finals they can bring on the speed gun at this time. I would love to see that is the goal to be able to buy one fifty? Is that what a young fast baller wants to do? Or are you more worried about, you know, maybe emulating what Pat Cummins and Josh has would have done these days and just be consistent around the one forties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not really, I'm just trying to get to one forty first. But yeah, one one fifty would be unbelievable. But yeah, I guess I kind of as you said the Pat Cummins and Josh Hayes with those blokes, that's what I kind of. You know, obviously I want to balls fast. I can see what I can get to, but obviously there's going to be a time where I'm going to, you know, max out, So I guess I'll just have to rely on craft and putting on spots similar to them.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we're just trying trying.
Speaker 3: To get to one forty first and trying bowl fast I can at the moment.
Speaker 1: And are you somewhat of a fast blowing naffy, like do you just love every skill aspect of it and the technical side and if you're watching someone like Mitch Stark running in Bowl one forty five for the whole day, are you somebody who really enjoys that side of it as well? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love when I love when we were in the toss and bowl first. It's good when Stark's got a fresh, fresh.
Speaker 3: Ball in his hand. Yeah, it's I do do watch a lot of it. I love watching those Cricket Dot Com from the Bolt videos with like Dale Stain, Shames Patson, They're all, yeah, unbelievable to watch it. I can I watch them multiple times, all of them. Yeah, no, i'd say, I'm I'm not sure enough. Yeah, like I love it. No, I probably, I probably am. I don't know, but yeah, I do love it.
Speaker 1: That's great. And now they have already been some amazing performances from your teammates at this tournament. Malacheck, peak byrum any that stand out to you where you thought, wow, you know that was next level sort of stuff from your teammates.
Speaker 2: They're all, you know, amazing.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen ball striking from anyone outside of Will Malichick ever really against man.
Speaker 2: That was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Some of the sixers that he was hitting, that's obviously amazing. Peaks hundred yesterday in circumstances and the conditions was.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable.
Speaker 3: But I thought that Will Byron, that's the one that kind of comes to mind the most because I got to sort of share it with him, bowling up the top and of roll shal Lanka for such a low total fifty eight and they're not a bad side at all, very good side. And yeah, that's that's quite a special moment. And it was just good to sort of see him. You know, he's young, he's still in another year I was nine, as it was good to see him, you know, take on you know, I guess perform at his very best, at the top level in the world for his age group. Yeah, it was good, good to share that with him, opening the bowling with him take a few piles.
Speaker 2: It was nice.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. And you've taken twelve yourself in the four games so far. What do you think has worked so well for you in this tournament? Have you been, like you said earlier, just putting it on the spot rather than trying to ramp it up to your max speed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely try and compose your self a bit, because you can kind of catch yourself trying to bowl too fast and then that kind of throws off your accuracy, et cetera. Yeah, I've kind of just tried to put it in the right areas, hit the stumps a lot. That's mainly been our plan. At the top of the stumps, it proves quite useful.
Speaker 2: I know it's it's quite a simple concept, but it's very very useful.
Speaker 3: It's hard to get it off the square really and if they try to and then it goes up the shoot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it's It's.
Speaker 3: Worked a lot those simple plans. But yeah, just for me, it was a bowl at a decent pace. Swing it. Swing's been nice, particularly in Namibia. Yeah, it's swinging, swinging into the pads, stumps. Just bring all the dismissals into play.
Speaker 2: Has worked really well.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Well, good luck for the rest of the tournament. Mate, really appreciate your time and hopefully you can bring home and up the trophy for Australia.
Speaker 2: Thanks Joshua,