Speaker 1: My Heart podcasts, hear more Kiss Podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app. Good Pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Ben Rady.
Speaker 2: Your work, our windows done, that's my world. Reason the dust only go fabs all down.
Speaker 3: I've done much, but yeah, I know I'll big get and what a lot.
Speaker 2: It don't matter where does? This is the pickup?
Speaker 1: Happy Friday everyone, you're listening to the Pickup with Britt Hackley and Laura Ben.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be a mood killer, but it's not actually a happy Friday for me.
Speaker 3: It's actually really sad Friday. So my husband Ben's been here for the last month and he lives overseas in Italy. We got married twice.
Speaker 2: It was wonderful, how many honeymoons.
Speaker 4: Three mini ones, but like only three days, you little turd burger.
Speaker 3: But today's the day, Like we have had the best six weeks of our life.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, it's been really beautiful, like the happiest I've ever been.
Speaker 3: And tonight he's leaving. He's going back to Italy.
Speaker 2: I thought he was leaving tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Well it's technically tomorrow, but it's two am. So for me, that's nighttime, that is in the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: Do you know how long it's going to be until you see him again?
Speaker 4: I think the moment Tember, so September, So what are we now, July August, like, that's a lot nearly three months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's exactly three months because when you go and see Ben, I'm having a baby, so I'm counting down as well.
Speaker 3: Oh what a time to be long.
Speaker 1: It's literally we have timed both the holiday and also the coming of this pregnancy perfectly. I can only imagine, especially after coming from such a high of having your wedding to then having to go back to doing long distance now, I can only imagine how hard.
Speaker 2: That's going to be.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: It came in so hot with Happy Fridays. But for everyone else, happy Friday.
Speaker 4: But if you're everyone but Brittany, happy Friday. No.
Speaker 1: I do you know what, though, anyone who's ever done long distance will sympathize because it is it's so hard.
Speaker 3: People think the goodbyes get easier, and I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe before I got married, I would have said they did, but I think now they're harder.
Speaker 3: Like I would have said, yeah, you do get used.
Speaker 2: To it, it's like whatever.
Speaker 4: But now that we're in a different chapter, I feel like it is harder. For sure, I'm gonna cry like a little baby. Well, don't do that yet.
Speaker 3: Hold on to them now, Laura.
Speaker 4: I'm not one to usually want to highlight my competition. I am currently on Dancing with the Stars. But if there's one person I'm gonna get on this show to have a chat to, it's Sean mccaliff. Now, if you don't know Sean mccalliff, he's been in Australian TV for a very long time. He's a comedian, actor, writer, presenter, he's a lawyer. There's not a lot the man can't do, and he can now add dancer to his repertoire Sean mccaliff, my competition on Dancing with the Stars, welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Ah, yes, Bruce, my nemesis, speak to you.
Speaker 3: Too, sen to you.
Speaker 1: I do like that we rattled off all the successes. I saw the quick step that you did. It was very impressive. Do you think that you can dance now and add dancer to this long list of success.
Speaker 5: No, I, in all conscience, I don't think I could add that to my CV. I think it's like a like a freak lightning storm. You know, it lights up the sky, quite impressive and awesome, but then you know it's gone in the in the blink of an eye, and then you forget about it.
Speaker 4: Johan, I, we were like doing our dance practice in the same studios, and sometimes I don't know if you know this, but I'd pick my head around and what you practice because I was like, I want to check what the competition is.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna light I thought I was going to be safe.
Speaker 4: I thought I was pretty good. And then first ques, first week you beat me. You got twenty four. I only got twenty one, and I thought, Wow, this guy's pulling out some secrets.
Speaker 2: You're bringing a lot of comedy to.
Speaker 4: Your dance, Like are you banking on that to get you through or do you have some secret dance skills you're gonna pull out.
Speaker 5: No, I have no secrets, no at all. That I think that very first dance that I did was probably it. Everything else that follows will be some some refaults. Gami. It's an a four piece of paper. We folded it into a swan, and that's what you saw in the first show. And then the next thing will be slightly more limp looking opera house, and then it'll be a servs and.
Speaker 2: We won't know what it is.
Speaker 5: I got nothing left.
Speaker 2: This is the problem though.
Speaker 5: Was On the other hand, I could always tell, because when britt did look around the corner, I made sure I was really bad, just to give her a sent she got too much confidence. Yeah, yeah, I did well.
Speaker 3: I was humbled, you know.
Speaker 1: But this is the thing that people don't realize unless you've done it. So you get so much time to practice the first dance. So often a lot of the celebs have the first dance down pat and then the wheels just stuff falling off the bandwagon.
Speaker 2: As you get further into the competition.
Speaker 5: Yeah, quite right. It's diminishing returns because you're guaranteed at least one appearance. You guarantee two appearances, so the first two are usually okay, and then as the Brittain I will experience you know this Sunday, you know someone's got to go. Yeah, it does get too serious.
Speaker 3: Then what I will say is I'm taking a piece a little bit.
Speaker 4: You were a delight to work with and watch, and you were actually such a good dancer. But why now, because I'm sure you've been last many times over the years.
Speaker 3: What's happening in your life, and you're like, oh, I'm gonna put the tap shoes on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, I think, in all seriousness, I think I probably hit the point where it didn't matter anymore. I had done I had nothing to lose by doing it. It seemed like something that if I didn't do it now. I remember reading about Christopher Walken, you know, and Christopher Walken did that dance routine in Weapons of Choice. He was about my age, he was about sixty, and he actually had trained as a dancer in his early years, and he said, look, if I don't do it, if I dont get it on a film now, I'll be too old to do it. So there was a little bit of that in me. I thought, well, if I can do it, it'd be good just to see if I can. Anyway, and the habit done on probably the biggest dance stage on television. To do it. In fact, I reckon within two weeks of the show finishing, I wouldn't have been able to do it. So I'm done and dust it. There's no way I'm ever going to do it again.
Speaker 3: This is good as get and you have to ask yourself why not?
Speaker 4: I think when an opportunity presents itself, it's not like, don't write the reasons why? Maybe say why not? And you've probably thought, well, what else have I got gone on?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Exactly, Well, I mean I've done everything in my glittering career, and you know, never terribly well. I think that one of his dances mediocre.
Speaker 2: Like I am, that's absolutely untrue.
Speaker 5: Did you get a chance? No?
Speaker 3: But you Yeah, I didn't mean that the right way.
Speaker 5: Sorry, do the same thing forever.
Speaker 3: I didn't mean what am I got going on? I was speaking. I took that too personally. Sean and I were talking on the show about the shows.
Speaker 4: He's got upcoming and stuff like that, and then he had a time frame.
Speaker 3: I said that wrong.
Speaker 4: He had space in his schedule to do dance Digger Brittany. The way I said that, I was like, Wow, that came across like he's not doing anything.
Speaker 3: He had time in his schedule.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But also, Sean, what did your wife think of the whole thing? When you were like, do you know what, I'm going to go away for thirteen hours a day and start dancing? Did like was it well received. Was it a moment of like, really.
Speaker 2: How did that go down?
Speaker 5: Well, she knew that I loved because I love those old MGM musics, and she kind of knew that I'm said that anyway. So she's always been very encouraging. In fact, she's the one who who said to me when I was a lawyer many years ago, she said, look, you know you keep talking about comedy and comedy shows, and you know, having all these opinions, why don't you just take a year off and do it. I wouldn't have done it had she not said so, it's all her fault. And she was equally supportive, equally supportive on this.
Speaker 1: Well, we can't wait to watch you on Sunday. And I mean, although it might have been said that you were technically rubbish, that was one of the comments.
Speaker 2: Of no, sure, the judges you were amazing.
Speaker 1: And honestly, I watched on the I watched on the couch with my mother in law and we both sat there and looked at each other and we were like, yeah, it was fantastic.
Speaker 2: We're your bigger fans.
Speaker 3: He's the one to watch.
Speaker 5: I'm looking forward to Sunday too, and it's one of BRIT's Hurricane dancers. That's how she describes us.
Speaker 3: All of them are hurricanes.
Speaker 4: Thanks Shan, You're an absolute delight and I absolutely loved working with you. And if anyone wants to check it out, Dancing the Stars continue seven pm Sunday on seven and seven plus.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you, Laura.
Speaker 1: You guys might be familiar with the Reddit thread Am I the A Hole?
Speaker 3: Yes? I am. We get a lot of.
Speaker 2: Content from it, doing a lot of content from that through Are you laying down now? Britt give her? If this was a visual medium. Brittany's actually just laid down in her chair. She's say she's doing the rest of the show today Friday.
Speaker 3: You give it.
Speaker 1: Home, Okay, we'll hear this story out. Am I the A Hole? I want everyone's opinions on this. So this woman has been married to her husband for over twenty years and she's been dealing with the same issue from him, which I'm not really convinced it's an issue firstly, and secondly, I don't know whether her retaliation to.
Speaker 2: This issue is justified.
Speaker 3: Well, I do love to be judge and dura, so hit me.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So for twenty years, this woman has been asking her husband if he can switch the shower vout of rod you know, so like you know, imagine you get into a bath shower, so you're standing in the bath. You can either have different settings on your shower head, so either the water comes out of the shower head or you turn the valve and the water comes out of your bath I'm.
Speaker 3: Just like that butt shower.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so it can switch between right.
Speaker 1: Anyways, She's been asking her husband for years if when he finishes his shower, can he please switch it to the bath mode so that way when she gets in the shower and turns it on, she doesn't get sprayed by cold water. This has been going on back and forth. Apparently he will do it for a couple of weeks, then he'll forget. She hates getting blasted in the face by cold water. She gets upset by it. It's been a real point of contention in their relationship, which makes me think that they need better things to argue about.
Speaker 3: I know exactly what she's referring to.
Speaker 4: It is really annoying when you think it's on one setting and it's not and it blast you with.
Speaker 1: Cold w When you get startled, absolutely well, you know when you get in and you're like, didn't expect to get sprayed in the face by cold.
Speaker 2: Water in the middle of winter.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, can I bring you my verdict? Wait, I already decided that.
Speaker 2: You haven't even heard her retaliation.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, after twenty years of putting up with this, week in week out, her husband saying, sorry, I'll try harder, I'll be better.
Speaker 2: I'll remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this day, she gets in the shower, she gets sprayed in the face by cold water.
Speaker 2: She's freezing.
Speaker 1: She gets out, she gets a cup, she fills it with cold water. Now her husband is also naked in the kitchen. For some reason, it didn't go into details as to why that he was naked, And she walked straight up to him and she threw a cup of freezing cold water in his face, and she said to him, does the naked just.
Speaker 3: Have to do with the throw in the face?
Speaker 4: I thought she was gonna throw it somewhere else, because I think.
Speaker 1: If you're naked, it makes it worse if you get a couple of water thrown at you, because it goes down your whole body. Why are you shaking her head at me, Grace?
Speaker 3: I think it would be better to be thrown waters.
Speaker 2: Thanks Grace, I'm so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because then no clothes get wet. Fair. Yeah, I think you just be colder.
Speaker 1: Imagine being naked and someone throwing cold water on your entire body in the morning. Anyway, whatever, we're bogged down. Okay, So she's gotten on to am I the a hole? And her question is did she overreact or should she just every morning that her husband now forgets, spray him like you do to a dog when they do the wrong thing.
Speaker 2: Let me spray bottle.
Speaker 3: Let me just go to the jury. Okay, I have my verdict. Yes, she's the a hole.
Speaker 2: I reckon, she's the a hole.
Speaker 4: You're saying it's up to you to switch the shower back when you're done, then it's equally up to you to make sure the showers on your setting. If it's that much of an issue that you're asking your partner to remember to switch it back, it's an equal issue for you to remember to do it. Like I think for you to put that on him, you're just angry that you forgot.
Speaker 3: You only that you forgot to do it. Like that's so silly to me.
Speaker 4: She's blaming him for something that she could easily fix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then if you've forgotten something, you need someone to blame.
Speaker 2: It's hard to blame yourself. I'm joking.
Speaker 1: Obviously, I do think she's the eight hole in this situation, even though I do like to.
Speaker 2: Blame my husband for things he probably didn't do.
Speaker 1: But I think that the reaction that she's received online is absolutely not what she expected.
Speaker 2: I think she was expecting people to be like, yes.
Speaker 1: Get it, queer, the poor thing. You'd be putting up with this for twenty years. You've been startled with Cold War, and the entire internet was like, your poor husband.
Speaker 4: He's divorcing for sure, do you reckon one hundred percent? Imagine what she's reacting over when she finds out he's cheating on us.
Speaker 1: Over the weekend. Last weekend, it was my oldest daughter, Marley May. It was her six year birthday party.
Speaker 3: Six years.
Speaker 2: What it is, sixth six? It's her sixth year, just six on the planet. Yeah, she was six.
Speaker 1: We had a birthday party for her and we had a pinata. I think the pinadas are just like the most staple kid's birthday party. If you need something to do that's going to tie them over for ten minutes, and you also want to get all all these out of your own house. You stuff a pinada, you hang it up, and you let the kids whack it.
Speaker 3: For a while. I'm a pinard A super fan. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: You're a Pinada super fan.
Speaker 3: Every year. I pinada once a year, YadA. People don't know this about me.
Speaker 4: I am a secret pinata just by yourself for hi Pinada. It is my family's Christmas tradition since literally there's not a year we don't have a photo since we were like three years old. Like our whole family, all my cousins and Nannie's and everyone, pinard is every single Christmas.
Speaker 1: So I posted it on Instagram. Right there was a couple of photos from the birthday party that I put up and I posted one of my stories on Instagram. I never realized that pinadas were controversial. I didn't know this. Well, apparently they are. And the reason why I say this is.
Speaker 3: Because not you, I mean.
Speaker 2: Sorry, people like, just have some fun, let's go home.
Speaker 1: No. There was quite a few people in my dms who firstly, the question was raised.
Speaker 2: Around the violence of pinadas. There was also questions.
Speaker 3: About you're trying to get a lolly. You're getting a lolly. I'm sorry, I can't even I'm gonna go home.
Speaker 2: I even listen. It is okay. Let let me explain to you. And when it was raised.
Speaker 1: Firstly, I did read one of these comments that was sent to me and I was a bit like, oh, I see your point, but I think it's a stretch. So we always talk to our kids about not being violent, right about like never hit things, don't hit people, don't throw your toys, like behave in a way that's showing kindness, I guess, and that's the thing that you always try and uphold with your children. And then birthday parties or once a year, apparently if you're Brittany Hockley, you get your kid's favorite thing, like what's their most favorite thing in the entire word world?
Speaker 2: A unicorn.
Speaker 1: Let's stuff it, Let's fist it with lollies and then give it a noose and hang it up by the neck and get all the kids in the line to smack it with a pole.
Speaker 2: Now, this person, I know, I know, I know, and I agree with you. I was like, guys, I think that we've gone too far. The PC police need to calm down.
Speaker 1: However, someone then sent to me that there are a type of pinnata called a no hit pinada. So it's a pinada that's been specifically designed.
Speaker 2: For parents who want to have no violence.
Speaker 3: It's not violent, wait for it.
Speaker 1: And it comes with all these strings in the belly, and so it's kind of like a lucky dip. So it's got all these different strings that hang down from it, and the little kids go and they pull a string and then oh, that one didn't do anything. Another pull a string that one didn't do anything, And if you get the right string, you go boom, and then the belly the unicorn opens up and all the lollies rained down on the kids downing underneathun does.
Speaker 4: No kid wants to pull a string.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 4: I'm all for being progressive, but this is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Like, just okay, hear me out. You don't have to have a unicorn.
Speaker 4: Why don't you get a criminal a pinata in the shape of a house and call it renovation.
Speaker 3: Teach your kids young, we're knocking the house down, We're gonna rebuild.
Speaker 2: It's an episode of the block.
Speaker 3: It's not violent.
Speaker 4: You're literally trying to have fun to it's like like playing baseball. You're swinging about what we're gonna not play baseball? Like, what's the problem here? Stop taking away all the fun from the kids.
Speaker 2: Okay, well you heard it here first. Brittany's against it.
Speaker 1: I'm not giving I can see that, and no one, no one's ever gonna ask you to.
Speaker 2: I will never ever.
Speaker 1: Give you a no hit pinada. I don't I can't even believe they exist. Look, and I'm on your side with this. I got the messages and I was like, surely.
Speaker 4: Now you'll be shocked at how extreme we are with our pinada.
Speaker 2: We no, Brittay's got a pinata tattoo.
Speaker 3: No, wait too, hear this.
Speaker 4: We've always had multiple pinadas. We make them, and we make them at different levels. My grandpi Are used to make them so hard that the adults would have like baseball bats that couldn't crack them, because he thought it was hilarious to make it out of like proper cement and stuff.
Speaker 3: So we would have like easy pinadas for the little kids. Would have different levels to ensure that everyone at our Christmas party got a pinada. We built Pulley systems. They're on Pulley.
Speaker 4: Systems over the poles and stuff like we take pinata ing so seriously, I didn't realize that this was yeah, so I'm properly.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I was going up against someone who was a fully invested pinada person.
Speaker 3: But he raised me. One of my best friends Laura.
Speaker 1: Oh, guys, that's it from Uscow and enjoy your pinadas on the weekend.