Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 3: I went to the cinema last week. I took my youngest daughter to Lewis. We went to see this new movie Air. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I loved it, really really good, directed by Ben Afflet. He's in it. He's very good.
Speaker 3: Matt Damon is amazing in it. And Valda Davis is a great actor. And Michael Jordan's only stipulations that she had to play his mum or he was not going to sign off the movie.
Speaker 4: She is incredible in this. It's a great movie.
Speaker 3: It's the story basically of world's greatest athlete, greatest competitor of all time, but he's not in it.
Speaker 4: You see the back of his head or someone.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed the movie, right, and I'd recommend you go and see it. But it ended, and I then the most interesting thing about him, it's just like you did a trainer deal once. That's that's the story you want to tell us.
Speaker 4: It's a well told story.
Speaker 5: I guess. In the Last Dance, the Netflix documentary, we got to learn about him as a player.
Speaker 4: But what about that trainer deal?
Speaker 3: Huh play Here's at one point I found myself going it all builds to this big pitch. Will he even get to the table. It looks like he's gonna go to Converse. Nike won't really had no big play at all him in basketball trainers and sneakers. And I'm sent to my daughter, I go, oh my god, I just hope they get the deal she has.
Speaker 4: They're a billion dollar company. We know they're not the underdog.
Speaker 3: I hope they get more billions. Billionaires. You'er the billionaires on this story. That's what I say.
Speaker 4: Oh shoo dog.
Speaker 5: By making a great movie, they've essentially you got us to see through a two hour ad.
Speaker 4: That's what I thought it was.
Speaker 3: And then the saddest one is right, I have a pair of air Shorges, and about twenty minutes into movie, my daughters went, oh my god, please tell me didn't wear those. They just happened to be on my feet. I didn't wear them to come to the movie about how they came to be Anyway, I noticed Perry, who does all the video for the show, right, he has got a brand new pair of age. He hasn't worn them fresh out the box, and coincidence get rolled for them.
Speaker 5: He saw the film over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then went out and brought himself a pair of air Jordan's. You ever do anything like that where you see a movie and go I'm having that. I'm going online right now.
Speaker 4: The credits are rolling ordered. That's it. I'm going to be like the movies. Your friend has done this.
Speaker 5: He bought the jacket that Ryan Gosling wears in the movie Drives, a satin woman, satin bomber jacket, a scorp yellow scorpion on the back.
Speaker 4: Now, Ryan Gosling can pull that off, yes.
Speaker 5: And my friend can't. Hasn't even had the guts to wear it anywhere. We all right.
Speaker 3: Let's take some new calls right now. Let's go to Jeff. I'm good Jeff, and I hope you well. Thanks to call the show.
Speaker 4: So what was it for you Untouchable with de Niro and Kostna.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I went to when I went to Tayler, I got de Niro's jacket.
Speaker 7: When was al capone Taylor made for me?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's like a beautiful sort of camel carco isn't it. Yeah, with the black collar, beautiful black collar. And then he brought it back here to Australia. And rocked it around.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, absolutely, yeah, it.
Speaker 4: Still had that al capone vibe.
Speaker 6: Sure, I still I took a picture of before you. Yeah, the capone and I've got made the Also the Casino Royal Jones Bond suit.
Speaker 5: This is just a pretty normal suit though, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, sort of?
Speaker 3: Well his is I believe that's a Tom Ford suit. And again do you go back to Thailand?
Speaker 4: Yep, but they go.
Speaker 3: Here is coming down the street again. Here now he's change bond. Now that's great, Jeff, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: You call me the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 3: Go and see the movie. Yeah, I loved it, really really good old fashioned movie. Just a well told story. Matt Dames going at Jason Bateman has arm fellow Davis. It's a true story of how Nike bless them mashed to secure even more billions of profits. I get Michael Jordan to do a sneaker deal with them. I love the movie, but actually my majority of that movie is what is many yelling in boardrooms and officers about we're going to get this? How are we going to close anyway? Obviously it's gonna not not like the brand of air Jordan's needs any more marketing. But I'm bet there's loads of kids that kind of come out of the going I want to buy a pair. When you say kids actually grown up about to be Dad Perry that works on this show went straight to the olds foot locker. If I was footlocker, I'm taking all my Air Jordans outside the front of the cinema making a markup.
Speaker 4: Just tell him out in the car park, and it brought himself a.
Speaker 3: Very shiny, brand new, squeaky new pair of Air Jordan's. What have you brought after seeing it in a movie? Nine four one four one oh four three, Peter, Hello, Hello, Peter. So what did you buy after you saw it in a movie?
Speaker 7: Okay? Stargate SG one, I bought the beret that Russell wears in the movie, but then the TV series came out, so I bought the jacket the Colonel Jack O'Neal wears with all the Stargate insignia his name on it. And I cannot wait for the cold weather so I can wear it. I'll wear it all the time.
Speaker 3: I tell you what'll be a very distinctive look to see a beret on the mean streets of Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I don't often wear the beret, but we should do this winter.
Speaker 5: The Winter of Berets.
Speaker 4: A new trend for hext of Berets.
Speaker 7: I'll make it a thing. And occasionally occasionally I'll get a nerd come up to me and go Jack O'Neill stargate and I'm like, I've actually been saluted once. Well, it was like a nerd convention. Me and this guy just started talking stargate and he saluted me. And I'm like, oh, let's bring it well even a point.
Speaker 4: And where do you keep all that? Where do you keep the out from those in the wardrobe.
Speaker 7: I'm looking at it right now. It's hanging off my to buy a candle bush?
Speaker 4: Do you know what?
Speaker 3: Put that whole outfit on and get out on that motorbike? The spaceship must have crashed.
Speaker 7: Came through the gate.
Speaker 3: Oh that's awesome, Peter, thank you very much, she called, We love that.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Michelle.
Speaker 8: Hell am you well?
Speaker 3: We're good Michelle, and I hope you're well now, Michelle, what did you buy after you saw a movie?
Speaker 8: I was about the same agent's Bridget Jones's diary when that came out, and she was wearing a gorgeous kiffiny pendant and I just couldn't keep my eyes off for the whole movie. And then when I found out what it was though, we and bought it. Yeah, not as exciting as the last guy. I might be able to use it for a fishing line.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's very It's a very it's a very subtle piece of movie memorabilia, isn't it. I wouldn't get people stopping you on the street going, oh, Bridgie Jones's dome.
Speaker 8: I'm a person. I'm a subtle person.
Speaker 3: Lovely Michelle, thank you very much, she called, thank you, thank you, Danny. So we talking about being influenced by movies today.
Speaker 6: What was it for you, ah, Christian, I'll tell you what. I was young and impressionable many years ago when the Rocky movie came out, And can you imagine me waking up in the early hours of a frosty morning in Dalford and putting on my hooded track matching top and bottom of course, and drinking that cup of five raw eggs, and then going up to the top of Wombat Hill, setting to the top of the tower, were breathing out cold frosty.
Speaker 3: Air that was me, Oh you miss was the meat locker and start punching all those carcasses.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well I had a red punching bag and I visited that as a big cow carcass. But you know what can I do, Christian? I was young and impressionable, and I can't complain to my kids when they get off on some trendy thing that's been branded in the movie now because I look back and I did exactly the same thing.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine drinking that horrible foul drink with all the eggs in that. Danny, that's a great one. Thank you very much your story.
Speaker 6: Hey boy.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 3: All right, we're going to open up the phone lines now. We want to There are over oneenty twenty five suburbs in Melbourne and our mission now on the show is try and speak to somebody from all of those suburbs.
Speaker 2: I'm in everywheremen, all the suburbs in Melmane, not the colder to Melton, across the beach, Aboart Arlington.
Speaker 5: Who rolls on us out there? And I got a fact, boyer, I've.
Speaker 4: Been every Weware.
Speaker 3: This needs to be released as a single, all right, So you called us up, where we will make you the mayor of your suburb. You just tell us one thing about your suburb. What do we find out recently about some of the suburbs.
Speaker 5: We had some great facts. Ray was from Safety Beach. He said that originally Safety Beach was known as Shark Bay, but in the sixties when they met it residential, they changed the name to Safety Beach.
Speaker 4: That is a big rebrand.
Speaker 5: Isn't it super safe to swim?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 5: Go in the water as much as you.
Speaker 4: Want, No more talk sharks.
Speaker 5: From Mombolg said that half of Australia's cut flowers come from Mombolg. Meredith was from up in mill Park, where she said the shopping center which is called the Stables. Oh look at this actually used to be a horse stables.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's basically this features like a meteorite of heat. Whenever we do, just call us up, tell us one thing about your suburb.
Speaker 5: And Evelyn from Avondale Heights said the town planner who designed Canberra also designed Avondale Heights.
Speaker 3: Okay, so where can we tick off on our map of all the Melbourne suburbs twenty twenty five. We're trying to speak to somebody from each suburb. You just need to give us one thing. Doesn't even have to be an interesting thing, not the horse stables, just one thing about your suburb. Nine four one four one o four three. Beth, good morning, good morning, All right, Beth? Where are you ticking off for us? Which suburb?
Speaker 9: I'm in? Digger's Rest? Three four to two seven?
Speaker 3: And what can you tell the new mayor or for Digger's Rest? What can you tell us, Beth about Digger's Rest?
Speaker 9: So Diggers Rest was the site of the first sustained flight in Australia by Harry Hudeni.
Speaker 3: Why did how you deni the aschapologist through Australia's first flight?
Speaker 4: Yep, I did not know that in the history of Hudini. That's unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Was he known for doing flying?
Speaker 9: I believe, not.
Speaker 4: Doing it in some sort of elaborate stunt.
Speaker 5: I guess flying was kind of magic when it first started, so maybe it suited his act.
Speaker 9: I believe he wanted to be a part of the race in the air and that stupid already sale, so to speak.
Speaker 3: But even so, you know, they thought that the guy to test planes here in Australia was a magician's David Copperall said, listen, I want to be part of the race to space.
Speaker 4: Give me a year a magician, you know. Amazing that he got to do it. What a storm?
Speaker 5: And so was he successful? Did he take flight?
Speaker 9: He did so he reached a hundred feet in altitude, I believe, and.
Speaker 3: The elt retail it's low, Harry fairly classifies as a flight one hundred feet.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, well, well that's a great one, mar Beth.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much on legas. No, you've made Digger's Rest incredibly famous. Now well I try Beth, have a nice day. Thanks to calling the show, you.
Speaker 9: Too, Thank you bye.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 3: Tell us something about your suburb. We'll make you the mayor of your suburb. There are oney twenty five suburbs in Melbourne. A. Your mission on the show and then is to trans speak to someone from all of those oneenty twenty five, nine four, one four, one oh four three Emily, what can you tell us about your suburb?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 10: I live in Build eight, not to be incorrectly referred to as East Forwards, and it's famous for having the first four which is continually open twenty four hours.
Speaker 5: This is music to pattendre They started at all. Have you ever been to an overnight at twenty four hour?
Speaker 4: Came up?
Speaker 9: What do you think?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I have. Who is in the need of something at two am? At two weeks you never know?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 2: I have done it a couple of times on the way to work, usually around Christmas time, just to avoid the crush.
Speaker 5: You go Christmas shopping before coming in here at two am.
Speaker 4: I have you are a machine of productivity, that is.
Speaker 5: There's twenty four hours in a day, Chris. Emily, how often do you get to the twenty four hour came up?
Speaker 10: Not as often as I would like, but I can tell you it's often very, very busy at midnight, which is very odd because I'm not sure why people are shopping.
Speaker 6: It came out at that hour.
Speaker 5: Crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Emily, thank you very much. You're now the mayor of Burward East. Let's go to Catherine. Hello, Catherine, how you doing. I'm good Catherine, and I hope you won as well. Thanks for calling the show. So where are you calling from? Which suburb can we tick off?
Speaker 2: I am the mayor of Mornington, The.
Speaker 4: Mayor of Morrington.
Speaker 2: I love that my friends actually call me the mayor of Mornington.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've got the mayor and the mayor s of Kingstown now with even Mornington. And what can you tell us about Mornington?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Mornington is the suburb of two's two of everything too, ELDI, two coals, two woolies, two pubs down by the beach, two outdoor markets, two seven eleven. You name it, We've got it, or two of.
Speaker 5: It like Noah's are Yeah two.
Speaker 4: It's incredible, great staff.
Speaker 7: I love that.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Catherine, love me show. Thank you very much. Catherine. Let's get to Terry.
Speaker 9: Hi, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm going Terry, So, what can you tell us about your suburb? Where are you calling it from?
Speaker 9: I'm calling from Melton in triple three H. Melton is actually what the M stands for in Big M.
Speaker 6: The big n M was invented in Melton.
Speaker 4: Did you guys know this?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 5: I never even thought what the MM for.
Speaker 4: I just all was like the big M.
Speaker 9: No, it was the Big Melton.
Speaker 2: The M stands from Melton. This.
Speaker 3: I imagine a lot of people right now are going who knew? Yeah, Terry, that's one of the biggest ones we've had. I've got to be honest, that is a big one.
Speaker 9: Yeah, most people don't know it, but yeah, a little fun ta.
Speaker 4: Terry knows what she's just drop like a micdraft.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can be amazed, you can be speechless. It's a big one, Terry. Thank you very much for sharing that not a problem.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 4: It's going to well Linda now Linda.
Speaker 11: Yes, it's Linda Meadows.
Speaker 4: Hello, Linda Meadows.
Speaker 5: How are you good?
Speaker 11: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Good stuff?
Speaker 3: Linda Meadows. All right then, Linda Meadows, Well, what suburb do you live in? Edith Vlle?
Speaker 4: What can you tell me about?
Speaker 11: Edith Vale has a internationally recognized wetland called File Wetlands, and we have not only just birds from Australia migrating there, but from as far away as Japan and Siberia.
Speaker 5: Wow, what makes it international?
Speaker 4: Guess?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you get down there much for a walk?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 11: It's got a bird hide and there's a friend of the Fella Secred Wetlands, which opens up the bird hide for people at weekends. And there's kangaroos in the wetlands as well.
Speaker 3: Creepy go and hiding in a hide. Spinal birds, you know, just watching them, but they can't see.
Speaker 5: For years to be young. Or it's an ornithologist.
Speaker 4: An ornithologist, yes, she has probably like being out in the open them. Let them know why. I will be a friend to them to do little. Thank you very much. You called in the meadows, Linder meadows, everyone meadows as well. Thank you.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast