Speaker 1: Laura, Come on, hello girls, Hello, heymach.
Speaker 2: Big week for you.
Speaker 3: Hey, it is Marti Gras Week officially.
Speaker 4: Do you know it started on the weekend though I could hear all the celebrations last weekend around my house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a big party down your way.
Speaker 1: It was officially like the two week period that we call Gay Christmas.
Speaker 5: What have you got planned for Gay Christmas?
Speaker 3: I have a lot of plans. I'm walking in the parade this year.
Speaker 2: Are you floating?
Speaker 3: I was not floating the parade?
Speaker 5: No, you walk in front of the floats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I walk behind. I think in front like a whns has it? If you get you get.
Speaker 5: Distracted in between them, you're a floating.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Correct, I'm a floating this year. This is my fourth float ever. I love them. The Marti Gras Parade for me is like God, it's so nice.
Speaker 1: My first year I ever came out, which was six years ago, I walked in the Mardi.
Speaker 3: Gras flow and it's so exciting.
Speaker 1: That's so much to me, and it means so much to like the queer community. I'm so excited to be doing it, but I'm kicking it off. The only prep I'm doing at the moment is just sitting down and watching like hours and hours of RuPaul's Drag Race.
Speaker 3: It's on stands.
Speaker 4: You should get up and walk around in circles at least while you're doing it, so you get your step can up so at least you're in the mood.
Speaker 5: But you're also getting the walk part.
Speaker 3: In preparation for the flow you because.
Speaker 2: You you are gay. I don't know if you need to prep.
Speaker 3: Why are you prepping for it? You're like you already there me, you don't need to day in my DNA. But I just like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's something about RuPaul's Drag Race and this new season as well, is like it's like, yeah, the best there is. I was texting Britta and you wore. I'm like, you girls need to watch drag Race. It's it's streaming, it's on stand you got to watch it.
Speaker 2: We've had some of the funnest nights which when you come over and we've just had Maultesus and watch drag Race.
Speaker 3: It's been I want to put Britain a wig. I think she looks so good.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with my hand?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, I don't know if she needs it?
Speaker 2: Do you need it. We'll get you to walk. Do I need a wig?
Speaker 3: We should start the show?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 1: Hey today? Oh your chance at another row of Taylor Swift tickets. We're sending you to Singapore before the end of the show. Your chance to win flight's accommodation to an entire row at the airs to in Singapore.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't that be great?
Speaker 4: Just when you think that the Tailor Swift thing is all over, it just keeps going and it keeps going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know it's going all over the world.
Speaker 5: She's only halfway through her tour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: Crazy.
Speaker 3: Now we'll get you there.
Speaker 2: Hey. Speaking of love, I love love, I love love, love love so much. And in two days time, Mitch and Laura you might not be aware, but Australia you might not know. Very special day is coming up that doesn't come around very often. And it's a day. Well, finally we get a day dedicated to women.
Speaker 4: Doing something new, so abstract, and I can't wait to hear where you're going with that.
Speaker 1: Other society is like, we'll give women and the game man a day, but it's in the same week.
Speaker 2: Only one day, one day every four years, all right.
Speaker 3: It's covered up here at the pickup.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Tuesday, Mitch, Laura Australia. I want to take you back in time.
Speaker 3: Oh oh gosh, she's got a help, Laura, ye have.
Speaker 5: It's so dreamy.
Speaker 2: I want to take you back to the year twelve eighty eight, and I don't want to introduce you to Queen Margaret of Scotland. Now back in twelve we're doing a full history lesson. I came to the pickup. What bear with me? So back in twelve eighty eight. This is a love story in a weird way. In twelve Eda, I'm going to tell you. In twelve eighty eight, Queen Margaret brought in a law that said, on the twenty ninth of February, which is in two days, women are allowed to propose to men, because back in the day men were only ever allowed to propose. Now, she said, the twenty ninth of feb I'm gonna let you women go out and do what you want to do. Do your thing. But the thing is twenty ninth the feb and he comes around once every four years because it's a leap year.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: The interesting thing is, so she gave women one day every four years if the woman proposed and the man said no, he had to give her like it was almost like a fine for say no, and he had to buy her like a new dress or give her a kiss, or like some sort of compensation for the embarrassment of humiliations.
Speaker 4: That's the interesting Okay, I'm sorry, but if I proposed to someone and they said no, I don't want to kiss from them in that moment, that's not the time.
Speaker 5: Give me address, thank you, I'll take that.
Speaker 3: So who was his queen? Margaret?
Speaker 2: A feminist?
Speaker 5: Clearly she was a feminist ahead of a time.
Speaker 2: Probably was feminism in its time because that was so not the dune thing for her. That was like, you know what, I'm going against the grain.
Speaker 4: But also, when you think about it, this is for women who have waited too long, Like if you've had to wait for four years for your partner to propose to you, they were like, okay, I'm going to take matters into my own hands.
Speaker 5: We don't see it enough. That's all I want to say about it.
Speaker 1: People actually follow that rule now, like women can propose. It's twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Of course, I think it's just a bit of fun. I'm sure there are plenty of women that I don't know, maybe still stick to this for fun. But of course women are proposing, like some of our biggest stars. Do you know Rita Aura proposed to her husband.
Speaker 4: Do you know who else proposed? Pink just here, what was here in the country, But she proposed as when she proposed, I don't know the details of the proposal.
Speaker 1: Of course, you hold on you, let's go back, let's go back to peace proposal.
Speaker 2: Kerry Hart her motocross husband. He was cutting laps in a competition and on his like third lap, she held up a sign that said marry me, and he didn't stop. He scootered past her. So she wrote another sign that sat next lap. It was like, seriously, like, I think that.
Speaker 4: Was really cute, but also he's trying to do a race, very distracting.
Speaker 3: Judge Duty proposed to her husband.
Speaker 4: Judge Duty, No, Judge Dudy. I can imagine that makes sense.
Speaker 2: There's no man that's.
Speaker 5: Going to propose it. She's scary. He's like, I'm going to wait because I don't know if what she's going to do.
Speaker 1: You get a couple of coffee, you're gonna get a bagel, and you're gonna marry me. You're gonna marry marry me now would have gone on?
Speaker 2: You guys are going to if you've proposed, If you're a woman, you propose, calls up and let's no, we want to hear about it thirty one oh six five. Or maybe if you're thinking about proposing in a couple of days term, maybe you could.
Speaker 3: Do it on your leave here or do it on the pick up. We'll happily let you propose on the show.
Speaker 1: If you're listening and you want to propose to your partner thirteen one o six five or DMS.
Speaker 4: Nothing does scream romance quite like proposing to your husband or your husband to be on the radio.
Speaker 2: Would you propose Laura to Maddie Like? I know that it's obviously gone past, But do you feel like you would happily do that as a woman.
Speaker 4: I don't know if. Like I was never someone who was very not so bad, but I wasn't that excited about getting married or having a wedding. I am excited and I'm so glad that I married my husband. I don't want that to turn into a headline. But no, I don't think I ever would have done it myself, because I never ever was a little girl who dreamed like the white big dress or anything like that.
Speaker 5: I just kind of was happy to be in a relationship.
Speaker 2: Would you just help me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're just kind of happy to go on a national TV show and win your husband via a lottery. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't believe in women proposing, but I will fight twenty five other women to the desk.
Speaker 5: It doesn't really screen feminism, does it, Okay?
Speaker 1: Next on the show, speaking of feminism, it's a real rounded out content show.
Speaker 3: Today we're discussing hair. How often should you wash it?
Speaker 1: And I'm not joking now, because the internet is truly divided? How often should you wash your hair?
Speaker 2: It's not divided for me.
Speaker 1: No, I've got a very clean answer. That clean answer. I've got a clean answer.
Speaker 2: I've got a hairy answer.
Speaker 3: All ours go.
Speaker 1: Against each other, interestingly enough, don't mate. There's a reason why I can smell the oil from here. That's all I'm going to say, Laura Burn that discussion. Next on the Pickup. Now, I was scrolling Twitter this morning or x whatever it's called. These days, so much everyone is arguing, and they argue over the dumbest stuff, And today they're arguing about shampoo, and I thought.
Speaker 5: Oh, get alive, touch some grass.
Speaker 3: Well, it kind of got me thinking. So a Twitter user re shared this video.
Speaker 1: So in this videos it's a woman admitting how long it's been since he's washed her hair.
Speaker 3: Have a listen, when was the last time.
Speaker 2: You washed your hair?
Speaker 5: Saturday?
Speaker 6: Who washed your hair.
Speaker 2: Sunday? And today is Friday. When was the last time.
Speaker 7: You washed your hair?
Speaker 5: I think it was Tuesday. For a horrible four days that four day, When was the last time you washed your hair?
Speaker 3: I don't even know. They're asking people in the street how often do you wash your hair?
Speaker 1: Genuinely not not Well, the average was about four days to a week.
Speaker 3: That was the batting average.
Speaker 5: That is shocking to me.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the internet. This is this is the argument. The Internet's divided.
Speaker 1: They're not happy because people are saying you have to wash it every day, which is insane.
Speaker 2: No, you don't need to wash it every day. I'm pretty sure there's science behind the fact that it's actually more unhealthy to wash your hair every day because it strips it of all its natural like whatever it needs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm feeling personally victimized.
Speaker 2: Too, because you wash your hair, like twice a day.
Speaker 5: I wash my hair every time I have a shower.
Speaker 2: It's so it's actually really bad, lot.
Speaker 5: Or that's actually like, where did you learn that my hair's falling out?
Speaker 2: So it makes your hair greasier. The more you wash it, the greasier it makes it.
Speaker 5: Okay, thank you for the science list and everyone.
Speaker 1: No New York Harol, New York, Pharrell Sorry told lad Bible the ship that they're a hair salon. They said that washing your hair every day can strip the scalp of natural oils, which can lead to dry brittle Laura burneque care.
Speaker 4: Yes, it does, but I mean, but once you're in the loop, it's a cycle. It's a vicious cycle. I can't get out.
Speaker 2: I don't want you to ever feel like you can't get out of that hair. I can't break it.
Speaker 5: I can't can You.
Speaker 2: Don't have to break those hairs anymore. You can break free from the world.
Speaker 3: Tell us why you do it every day and be honest.
Speaker 5: Because I don't like feeling like my hair is dirty.
Speaker 2: And if you have, don't you wash your feet in the sink. But you don't really, you don't shower. You actually don't shower before bed. You can't. I can't dirty.
Speaker 5: It's not true.
Speaker 4: No, because look, your daughter public park, for God's Okay, this is not about my children. Don't bring them into this. Ges was pooh pooh, my children wasn't sorry?
Speaker 5: No, okay.
Speaker 4: I go swimming in the ocean most days, and so I feel as though if you go swimming in the ocean you got salty hair.
Speaker 5: I think you got to wash it afterwards.
Speaker 2: Okay, I can agree with salt hair. If you're going to swim every day, I understand it because that just feels gross. But if you're not actually swimming, and let's be real, I'm calling bs. You do not swim every single day?
Speaker 5: Or chlorine? Okay, hold on, if you in chlorina.
Speaker 1: Every day, I want to preach to the country. If you're a reformed daily washer, call us on thirteen miles sixty five, because I truly think we need someone that has lived the Laura Burn unhealthy, slippery slope lifestyle to call us and let.
Speaker 5: Us do we really need them to call?
Speaker 1: Well, Amanda is apparently a hairdresser. Amanda, why don't you talk to Laura? We consider this an intervention?
Speaker 3: What what what do you get taught? In cutting school. Is the appropriate time to wash your hair in a week?
Speaker 8: Definitely? Hi guys, Hi hairdresser, You actually are better off to shampoo your hair twice a week. But if you have had like any chemical service done, as in like spoiling or anything like that done, it's actually best to only wash it once a week. Breathe and beanie, so that you just don't cause like to prevent any break into or spilibans in the hair.
Speaker 5: What if you're washing it every day, it makes it well.
Speaker 8: You shouldn't be washing your hair because your hair naturally produces oils, and those oils are actually good for your hair. When you do shampoo your hair, you're going to go on shampoo your hair two shampoos to three shampoos every time you wash it. Are you're doing it perfect?
Speaker 2: What I do is I do it every three and four days and in between a little bit of dry shampoo, spruce up, get chemist chemiswear.
Speaker 3: How's that batiste?
Speaker 1: But teas from Hold On, Hold On Aisha has called she's a I think we've got a reform daily shampoo.
Speaker 3: Are are you a reform daily poor? Poor?
Speaker 7: Yes? I am. I used to wash my hair daily, every single day and follow ended up following hairdresser's advice and reduced that to about two times a week and saw a big change in my hair.
Speaker 5: Well, I would love to know how has this affected your life?
Speaker 2: I told you she's in a big changeing her hair.
Speaker 1: She said she's how long to depressed and she's having great sex now.
Speaker 2: She's she's found the love of her life from her luscious hair, and she won the water got to pay rise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, guys, I honestly no, I can't keep up with this. One day, I don't wash my feet enough. One day, I don't share enough. Now I washed too much every then. So there's so many rules around what part of you needs to be the cleanest.
Speaker 2: You tell me I got to brush my teeth, I do every day, telling me I need deodor it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Laura, we're just challenging me. Brittany and the hair dressing community want to challenge you. Don't wash it for a couple of days, and we'll report back later in the week on the natural oil.
Speaker 4: Now you will be disgusted, you'll be discussed to try it, right.
Speaker 5: No, that's where this show's gone.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, well, look coming up, I don't know about you, guys, but I have gotten addicted to a show recently.
Speaker 5: It is Love on the Spectrum.
Speaker 4: I know that it's been around for a little while, but he's honestly the most beautiful, heartfelt, warmest, sweetest TV show in the world of Maths and the other reality TV shows. We have joining us relationship expert Jodie Rodgers, who is I mean, she is the kindest of relationship experts and she's the one who stars on Love and the Spectrum.
Speaker 5: She's joining us next, so exciting after this on the pick up. All right, guys.
Speaker 4: In the world of trashy reality TV, there is a lot of it on the TV at the moment.
Speaker 5: I mean Maths, we're seeing the drama, drama, drama.
Speaker 4: But there is another reality TV show that when it first came on the screens, it absolutely stole everyone's heart. And I have gotten addicted to it again because it has just been released on Netflix and now the Australian version that is there, the US version, and it's called Love on the Spectrum.
Speaker 3: Oh my love, this wholesome.
Speaker 2: TV show that has ever exists.
Speaker 4: It's honestly so beautiful and I think also it's such an insight into how other people date, how other people live, and how everyone kind of interacts. But some of the stats around this is so interesting. So one in seven Australians are on the autism spectrum. And also this TV show is Emmy Award winning now it's brilliant. If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend going and watching it. But we have joining us today Jody Rogers. She is a sex ologist. She's one of the counselors and the she's the relationship coach that's on this TV show. And like I said, it's very different to math's relationship coaches, where they're there and they're creating the drama.
Speaker 5: She's there really helping these.
Speaker 4: Individuals on the show date and find real love and real connections.
Speaker 5: It's so special.
Speaker 3: God, what a job I know.
Speaker 5: Jody. Welcome to the pick up.
Speaker 6: Hey Jody, Hello, how are you going? Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 2: It's so nice to speak to you again. And we spoke to you a little while ago on our podcast Life on Cut.
Speaker 6: That is right. I just thought, how quickly the world turns is the last time and.
Speaker 2: Now we're speaking to you here in the radio. We love love on the spectrum even more now than we did when we spoke to you. Why do you think Love on the Spectrum has catapulted to one of the most watched reality TV shows.
Speaker 6: I think there's a couple of reasons. I think one because people really relate to it. So, you know, even though where it's really educational for the broader community about the diversity of autism, but it allows people to see themselves, allows that connection with people that they may not have even thought that they had things in common with. And I think all of us know how complex gating is, so you know, many people just come out and say, oh, that's like me, or I do that, or that's where I've experienced. So I think that's one. But the other one is all the people who were on the show, the autistic people who are on the show. It's just so authentically themselves, and I think people can really see that.
Speaker 4: It's really different, isn't it When you see so many people these days go on reality TV shows for Instagram followers, and then you watch Love on the Spectrum and people are actually there for relationships. So to make connections Tody with your experience, I mean coming from being a sexologist and then being a relationship counselor what made you want to work with people who in you were a divergent.
Speaker 6: I've really worked with people with disworld is my whole life. But probably the biggest thing for me is the fact that when I started hanging out with autistic people, I was learning so much about a different way of seeing the world or a different perspective, and it allowed me to just open my eyes up completely to just how truly diverse we all are. And so I'll just keep learning. You know, I'm thirty years in and I'm still going.
Speaker 7: Oh, I never do that.
Speaker 6: I never thought that, I never knew. So yeah, I just love the fact that every single day I'll get my mind open to.
Speaker 8: A different the world.
Speaker 2: I think genuinely, like I've watched all the Aussie seasons, I've watched all the American seasons because I genuinely loved the show, and I think we can all learn a lot from the way people on the spectrum interacts. Like I often I watch their interactions when they're like, Hey, I don't like you anymore, so like let's just be friends, And I'm like, man, if only every guy I ever dated just said that instead of goes to me, But I have relationships in my life with people that are on the spectrum, and I learned so much from the shows in helping me understand them better and the way that I connect with them better. And you have just written a new book called Unique. What autism can teach us about difference, connection and belonging is that who have you aimed that at? Have you aimed at that at? Literally anybody that is interested in forming those connections?
Speaker 6: Yeah, everybody, But in one way, you know, I read somebody had written the other day saying, I think this is Jodie's Love Better to Autism, and it really is. It's a celebration of all the autistic people in my life, but it's really for everybody because in my lifetime what has also happened with me is that autistic people have allowed me to understand one myself, but also every person in my life. And so it's really a book where it's all short stories, like you literally could pick it up at any point and just look at part of the way humans interact all of us. But it's really a story to say, you know, this is an experience I've had as an autistic person which has made me rethink all of my relationships with every single person I'll come across, and how beautiful and wonderful that is. The teachers in my life are people that many many people would consider to be so different. But yeah, there've been the people that have taught me about connection and relationships.
Speaker 1: A good read, so beautiful, that's required reading. I think unique available tomorrow, Jodie. People can grab it very soon.
Speaker 7: Oh no, it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: Go and pick it up, Jodie Rogers. Everyone from Love on the Spectrum, Thanks for coming on the pickup.
Speaker 3: We adore you.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Let's get out of here. We're done for the day, guys. She's so cute, isn't she.
Speaker 5: She's so remarkable. Honestly, the show is brilliant.
Speaker 3: It's so much fun. All right, let's go. We'll see tomorrow. Goodbye, guys,