Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 2: Interesting article yesterday about how to survive those long Christmas road trips you'll be going on in a couple of weeks time over Christmas. Maybe go and see your relatives out in the country. And of course, so Christmas trip for me, A long road trip for me in the UK used to be two hours. You could pretty much get anywhere in the UK within two hours two hours right now in Melbourne that's just getting across Punt Road. So you go a lot longer on a road trip in Australia. I still can't believe. I suppose some friends of mine that drove to Sydney the other day. I can't believe that people will actually drive to Sydney.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've done the Sydney road trip a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Is it worth doing? Is it something? I mean we did.
Speaker 3: You can choose two way. Isn't like the Hume Highway, which takes you straight up the middle and not very scenic, but it's some cool little towns. Or you can go along the coast and there's some really good four areas along the coast.
Speaker 2: Right Yeah, thinking about doing it over Christmas, actually going the long way there. But you see, when you go on a long road trip, you certainly realize, no matter how you might love your partner, whether you do it, they were just your partner or your kids, you haven't spent that much time together in a contained room. Normally you can go and do something else. Is you're trapped? Did I accidentally stay there? I mean trapped? Trapped? What a pleasure to be with someone in a small room. Not trapped? Why would I say trapped? I don't know. I have therapy, Okay, but anyway, I did say trapped. Let's cover it. You are? You trapped with somebody else? And then suddenly those irritations, those petty irritations that you have there, they are It's like a pan, isn't it with a lid on it? On the oven? It just simmers. And so this was six It was six tips about how to survive a long road trip and is common sense about taking it in turns to pick the music and blah blah blah, taking regular road trips, playing games. And I don't about you guys on long road trips to your parents, what car games did you love to play?
Speaker 3: Oh, Icepy was the I mean, I think we only ever played ice Spy.
Speaker 2: You never played The Joys of Yellow Car, very complicated game. Soon as you get a pair, okay, everyone in the car is looking out for a yellow car. First person see a yellow car has to yell out yellow car. You then keep a tally who's seen the most yellow cars? That's the winner. The joy you have because what happens. It be quiet for a while, right, and you can't help. Some people start to day during the MC not off and then suddenly I always make sure I yell it really loud because there'd be a while we don't see yellow car five minutes that the kids will start to not off and against you can't just go. It's joy, the joy you're playing yellow car. Have you played any games involving the number plates? You've never done that. No anagrams. It's from the number plates, kids, to increase your word power. Now we do like words from the number plates or cricket number plate as well, where you wed up the numbers. Whoever can see pick the car?
Speaker 3: The voluntarily played a maths game.
Speaker 2: Well, I have to be made to by my wife that one I prefer. Perhaps do you do you played anyone other than I spy.
Speaker 4: It was always a nightmare because I had two older brothers who used to give me Chinese burns in the back seat. But we you used to have to guess what model the next car was going to be, whether it's going to be like a Ford or a Holding or a Mitsubishi, and we'd keep it telling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is what we used to do because we didn't have phones. Nowadays you can watch it. I watch the Irishman five hour epic movie on your phone, hundred different TV shows on Netflix or whatever you're streaming on these days. And who does the driving on a long road trip with it be you or your wife? I let my wife do because really, when I drive, she is the world's worst backseat driver. Even in taxis, She's sat up front with the driver going please slow down here, and I amn't doing a legal thing. And so just a couple years ago, I realized we're gonna get divorced like this, Just drive, Just drive. I don't care. I just can't be bothered with it. Who does it between you and Bianca?
Speaker 3: When we went to Sydney on that last road trip, actually had a sore back.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I might start using that as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love with the passager second life alas why she did most of the driving, and then I could do a few twenty minutes stints.
Speaker 2: All right, what car games can you recommend to us then and everybody else listening? You might have a long road trip over Christmas. Great car games that we haven't talked about yet. I give us a called nine one O four three.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one four point three.
Speaker 2: Car games the best car games to play on a road trip. You're not playing these as kids or if your parents now, So we've covered off the classic go to I spy more advanced ones. Thank you very much to someone else who knows the joy of playing Yellow Car, Senate Christian. We used to play that, but obviously here a lot of the yellow taxis so we've turned it into red Car, same rules, John, Good morning.
Speaker 5: John, Yeah, good morning, Christian.
Speaker 2: How are you? I'm good? So tell us about a car game.
Speaker 5: Yeah no, even when I was a kid, I was still look now with my kids, we used to play punch Buggy.
Speaker 2: I remember punch bugging, So break it down for me, John, I have a rough inkling that involves punches and looking out for VW's exactly right.
Speaker 5: Yes, you'd just be driving down the road and the kids are in the back or whatever, and you just see a punch buggy and then you get a punch in the arm.
Speaker 2: Now and wind about the safety of this was you're driving up front of suddenly you're getting a big haymaker from one of your kids on the back seats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it just has to be in the arm.
Speaker 2: Right, the things are actually holding the steering wheel.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We used to play that on the school bus punch buggy, and it became Punchbuggy no return, so that if you saw the punch buggy, they weren't allowed to punchy back for seeing the same punchbuggy.
Speaker 5: One punch per buggy.
Speaker 2: Yep. Because you're not savages. You've gotta have rules with these games. Okay, John, that's a brilliant one. Thank you very much for calling mate. Have a good day, No thanks, Luke, Good morning. Hey guys, how are we I'm good? Tell me about the car game. Sweet and sour, So.
Speaker 5: Sweet and sour. You're going past other cars, you wait with them and if you get away back they're sweet.
Speaker 2: If they don't the brilliant genius like that. This is it. I own to start doing this by myself. This is great. I've often played with the kids Toot the Stranger, where if we're driving on, I will toot the car horn at stranger and when all three of us will wave and if they don't wave back, then because what happens is that everyone at a politeness. If you can't take someone, you see people waving at you, you kind of confuse, do that.
Speaker 3: Look, well you you wave until you work out who's in the car.
Speaker 2: Well you still don't know, but just seeing their confused face is it is a great little game anyway. But Sweet and Sour is a genius and it's simplicity.
Speaker 3: So do you score points, Luke? By it sweet worth a point and soal not worth a point?
Speaker 5: Yes, so if they wave back at the point, if I don't, then yeah.
Speaker 6: Some friends when we used to throw our path used to girl they didn't wait back and give them the bird.
Speaker 2: Alright, Luke, that's a great one, Sweet and sound love it. Thank you very much. Some friends used to do that, not Luke, not Luke. Some friends. Tests, good morning, good morning, thank good morning, Test. Thanks for calling the show. Tell us about a car game.
Speaker 5: My mom used to make us play who can be quiet the longest?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dad would always do that ice cream if you can both be quiet for half an hour? Yeah, that's great, Thank you, Thank you, test, have a good day.
Speaker 5: There is to bay.
Speaker 2: All right. If you're listening to this and there's any car games that we haven't covered, give me a call. Nine one o four three.
Speaker 1: Christian o'con all Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 2: All right, we're talking this morning about car games. You've got long road trips coming up over Christmas. What are good car games to play? Four one four one oh four three. Just overheard Jack talking to one of you and telling you off, saying that the Kidnap Game, and obviously the title gives away, was not in any way, shape or form appropriate for broadcast. They should be encouraging.
Speaker 1: Work.
Speaker 2: Just when you were going the kidnap game, how did that work?
Speaker 5: Was?
Speaker 2: We can't have any of this on the show. So well done. We got time for two quick calls. We squeezing before Patsy's news. Terry, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 6: How are you this morning?
Speaker 2: I'm good, teary and I hope you are as well thanks to calling the show. Tell us what a car game?
Speaker 6: We used to play car cricket, so you'd have put values on the vehicles and then whenever a red tar came out, that was your out, your out ball.
Speaker 2: See these are ingenious. You wonder it was the first person to create a game like that, and now I better be played in England as well. Car cricket.
Speaker 3: So do you remember what was like one run and what was six runs?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Oh, we used to have like motorbikes and cars were one, Cars with trailers were two. Then you'd have a track was four and then a semi was six because we did a lot of forward driving driving, so we used to have all of those sort of under round.
Speaker 2: And Terry, were you the Steve Smith of the family. How did it work? Were you pretty good at or wuld dad always win? No?
Speaker 6: Usually my daughter.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's great. That's a great game. Terry, Thank you very much, give us a call. You have a great day, you too, Jessica, come on in, Jess, good morning, Hey going good Jess. What's your card game?
Speaker 6: We played the really obvious abuse game and.
Speaker 2: We said no to the kidnap game.
Speaker 3: Did not come from me, no.
Speaker 2: Right, obvious abuse game? How does this work?
Speaker 6: So say someone waiting at the lights or something like that, you put up the lights, you wind your window hand, and you yell out something really obvious about them.
Speaker 5: See your scream.
Speaker 6: You're wearing a red hat.
Speaker 5: And I turn.
Speaker 6: Around, ready to be aggressive back and quite off to laugh, realizing that you've just pointed out something really obvious.
Speaker 2: Got it? I see now? Okay, all right, Jess, thank you very much for giving us a call. You're welcome to you by producers.
Speaker 1: Come into the studio please, The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three