Speaker 1: Flex and Rooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast. Happy Friday, guys, we actually did it. We got to Friday, second best day of the week apart from Thursday. Today we talked about the most crazy shit. It's been a really long time since Lex and I have like gone down the below the belt pipeline. I'm quite literally the pipeline from your esophagus right down into your anus. But today we're talking about swamp us, how to see it, how to avoid it, and also if anyone can tell me why I think sell some smells so gross, please DM me. I'm waiting for it. Have a lovely weekend. Bye, Flex and Rooms on Kita, Hello lovel.
Speaker 2: Can you dump someone on their birthday? We've already discussed how we feel about going on dates, especially first dates on your birthday. To know from us though, I can imagine there are a few exceptions to that rule, but for the most what we like blanket generalization. In this instance, we've got a listener dm if you've all. If you've got a dilemma, just dm Uster's Flex and Rooms and hopefully producing Mickey sez It passes it on and then we discuss it, Dearest Gremlins and Goblins also known as flex frooms and Mickey, I have a tricky one. I need your gracious minds to run this over. My boyfriend and I have been together for almost three years. We got together during UNI and everything was honestly perfect. But in the last few years we've grown up a lot. I work a nine to five in a corporate job that i've worked hard again, and he, well, he still works a casual job he had while we were at UNI. He doesn't really have the same level of ambition as me, and it's become clear that we just have very different ideas on what we want out of life. In saying all of this, it's become pretty clear to meet in the last few months that I love him, but I'm not in love with him, and at this stage of my life, I'm twenty five, I really just want to take time for myself. Here comes the kicker. I've been working myself up to dump him for maybe four months, but it hasn't felt at the right time. He's had a lot of family stuff going on, and every time I've chickened out. I'm about to go on a big trip to Asia with my best friend for six weeks, and we plan it so i'd be there. Oh, I'm about to go on a big trip to Asia with my best friend for six weeks, and we planned it so I would be here for his birthday and then leave two days later. Knowing me, I just really can't see myself going on this trip with this relationship hanging over my head. I'm going away in about ten days, so I have to ask is it okay to dump someone around their birthday? I hope and pray that we've gotten back to you before before the Asia trip, because Babe, if we haven't, forgive us, please forgive us, because this is stressful. Imagine you've been with your partner for about three years. When you first started dating, you're in uni similar life stages. But now three years later, you work good nine to five, he's learning his casual job. You love him, you're in love with him, you're twenty five. It feels like a pivotal moment to just like dead the relationship, take time for yourself and start fresh. The issue is you've been mulling over this breakup for a bit too long four months, and now you've got a bit of a deadline. See you're going away on a big trip for six weeks, and you had planned it so you'd be here for your partner's birthday and then two days later go on this big trip. But now that it's coming around in about a fortnight, you can't imagine going on this big trip and still being in that relationship. So you want to break up? Can you break up with someone this close to their birthday? Yes? Or no?
Speaker 1: For Remina, I'm afraid yes, you can't be going on that holiday with this, as you say, hanging over your head. I will give you a piece of advice that you may choose to take or not nice when you do the breaking up, because I think you must do it regardless of the birthday. Do not tell them that you've been mulling over it for four months. Yeah, we've all made the mistake. Get dumped or you get you dump. And an inevitable question comes up, and that is how long have you been thinking about this? This comes from It's come from so I've been thinking about it four months. That will cut this king to the core. But what should she say? She's say, Oh, I don't know, Like, just definitely don't say four months. Just say I'm not sure how I feel like I'd do a little sweet while I in no one.
Speaker 2: It INCLUDESI his length of time going back on the decision that I just know. Yeah, yeah, the time one is tricky. You have to do it. Put the trip first. And I'm just saying six weeks with this in over your head, think about the friend that you're going with as well, so you don't put them through that. But also, I feel like we think we're protecting people from harm by making these decisions for them, when in reality we're kind of cushioning ourselves from having to be the bad guy. And in this instance, a lot of thinking has been done. You've made some really good points here at being in different life stages, and the sooner you can have this conversation, because realistically, break up some more than one conversation. You know, you can start the first conversation, the quicker you'll be out of the relationship. Yeah, I don't know anyone who's been who's been in a long term relationship and how to break up be the one conversation whereich is I'm breaking up with you? It's a consideration, it's I want to break up? Well, why, Well, let's just think about it. We're going to break we won't talk. We'll do this. Let's just think we'll talk in next week la la lah. And now you're already cutting into the holiday time. Yeah, you're already cutting in. You're on deadline. Good luck. It's such a hard thing to do. But hopefully he's on the same page.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And he can be feeling this like chasm between where you are and where he is, and he might just you know, alleviate that pressure.
Speaker 1: I like what you say about thinking people can't handle something, so you're actually may be hurting them more. But yeah, good luck, queen. And if you're already on your trip, have the best time.
Speaker 2: I'll have the best trip. I'm sure you.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you did what you need to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was on little tickety talking and I came across this TikTok that showed, sorry, rather played what ancient languages sounded like. Can I play it for you?
Speaker 2: What region? Like? How ancient are we talking?
Speaker 1: How the English language has evolved over time?
Speaker 2: Great, let's just get right into it.
Speaker 1: So that was five thousand base proto Indo European. That's seven hundred to two hundred BC. Man is West Germanic. Okay, and now I get into something that I find quite interesting. Okay, I wanted to listen to these. This is old English. So this is all the way up to like a thousand years after Christ in yard failed Thrimia fruna usa adlings ellen with is sure to English. March a person to the road.
Speaker 2: Start to the road. Okay.
Speaker 1: And now this is where the King Henry came in.
Speaker 2: In the middle of the table, a condo, woven draperies upon them all there was a scanopy.
Speaker 1: So it's pretty much giving English. But like pig Latin vibes.
Speaker 2: One thing that English is missing now is the rhythmic nature of it or language. Let's just say the English language sounded much more rhythmic and musical. And if you hang out with people who are learning English as a second language, they'll often say that English, that's what it sounds like, discernible. We didn't understand that when we could hear gaps in sentences, and we could hear when intonation was getting higher or lower and there was more intensity. But now, oh.
Speaker 1: Horrible, it is so interesting to think, yeah, what it must sound like. It's like when you hear it other language that you don't know. It just sounds like, how do you even know what that person's saying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I think what other languages do not. I think what Australian English fails to do that other languages do better is the intonation, or the varying levels in tone expresses what they're saying. For example, when we speak English, we finish on the up. Oh where are you going? Yeah? Pre you on there? I'm so happy today. It's like it's this like sing songy, but it's disjointed. It sounds joyful when it's not. It sounds serious when it's not. It's strange. And the contradictions in the language itself. Oh, this is so exciting. I was thinking the other day, did you say, like, what comes after slay? Was I having that conversation with you? Yeah? I think so, yeah, what comes after slavey? Because people had said it feels outdated already? And I was thinking about how Internet language evolves at such a rapid pace that so many things lack meaning and we don't have the correct substitutes for what they mean. And as we become more and more isolated and create these new niches and niches and niches and niches give it twenty years we were able to understand each other, say, same age, same super no speak English together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was thinking we were all getting globalization. But I guess it's the opposite.
Speaker 2: The opposite. What does its giving mean?
Speaker 1: But I know exactly what it's giving. The next one is the C word. Everyone says that. Now. Previously, today we brought attention to the phenomenon of swamp pass. Could you give us a quick five second illustration.
Speaker 2: What that is? I was told this information by a man. Swamp pass is allegedly what happens when the moisture from the behind is trapped in the box a brief that's probably polyester, which is a big issue, and creates a sort of moisture that emanates a smell.
Speaker 1: A swamp past cent. You've smelled it once, you've smelled it.
Speaker 2: For life, but off the badge of honestly remember where you were.
Speaker 1: Okay, with that in mind, I think we need to say on this theme, it's not often that I get Flexi in the state of mind to be talking about such activities. But we've got a wiki how how to hold in a pool in embarrassing situations. I didn't come up with this idea our producer Mickey did, can I just say, please, doll.
Speaker 2: It's more often the farting that's harder to hold in than the poop because you know, like it's a different trapping air in your stomach. That feeling of like that gaseous trapped air is way more painful than I need to go number two? Do reckon in my experience, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Like, Caitlin, have you ever need to fight so bad that you went to the hospital?
Speaker 2: WHOA Have I told you this story? No? Okay, well this is contraction of life where you'd hold your fart in your bush people. Okay.
Speaker 1: So when I was growing up, I would get sick all the time, nothing sad, just like classic batam into some like Victorian child would have died. I had a cartisan had asthma, so annoyed. Then I they had to go on the bloody ventilin like machine things for me. Then I had migrains that would make my body numb, like, no wonder, your.
Speaker 2: Parents just let you be your insane self because they've already been through too much.
Speaker 3: No more.
Speaker 1: Literally Anyway, one time I was trying to get to sleep and I just had this pain in my stomach, like someone was stabbing me. I was killed her. But I started hyperventilating. My parents like, we need to take you to the hospital. My mom's a nurse, mind you, so she we did it once over. She did that one time. But she's like, okay, Like I was being really upset, and she's like, I think you should get up and try and walk and like see if it gets better. It's like, no, Mom, I'm not going to do it. Take me to the hospital. So mom and dad take girl. I'm crying in the back. When I say hyperventilating, it was giving panic. Stations were alerted. I remember going down the hill in Mount Waverley and it was bright lights. Anyway, Mom's like, all right, it's time to get out and get into the hospital.
Speaker 2: Okay, why do I.
Speaker 1: Leave the car? One thirty second bout of walking and it goes. I just it, son.
Speaker 2: I'm I can't. I've got to go.
Speaker 1: To the hospital now, and just thirty seconds of walking. Guys, sometimes if you have that horrible sensation, you just.
Speaker 2: Need it outside.
Speaker 1: Depression, go outside, side farting, go outside, go outside. I'll just now like a genuine call memory. So all gonna say is if you ever need to far walk.
Speaker 2: Too many of you are getting it wrong when naming your babies. Don't take it personally. It's the first time you've done it, maybe the second or third, and so you're not an expert. It takes ten thousand hours to be an expert in something. Or is that false? It's probably true. It's take ten thousand steps is a lie also, but you just say something with confidence steps in regardless. And so I'm trying to figure out how I can be of surface to my community. And so I figured out how to ensure that you name your baby and set them up for success. The number one thing everybody is getting wrong is giving them one name. One first name incorrect. I have one first name. I'm lucky, I've risen above it. I have to go find another one because one is not enough and a last name does not count. You need a minimum four names. They don't need to be a quadruple barreled. It can be like a primary name and then the other three and then a surname. But you need four of those four. The first has to be traditional. I don't want to say it, but Catholic, Catholic.
Speaker 3: Big any okay or Victorian, something Catholic, tra not colonial. Everyone's gonna have one, especially giving birth in the next hundred years.
Speaker 2: Do yourself a favor. So the second quirky, a little something like a indigo, you know, Lucinda, Ah, Violet, Violet. I'm talking more so like Wilma. Okay, okay, do you know it's like it's a little bit quirky. There's a little something to it, you know. The third one everybody needs and a few of you might be opted out of this one. You'll find it for yourself. An ethnic name. I need to know, one that has origins from where you're from. I don't want to hear them like I'm Australian. Let's go, let's dig deeper into the ancestry. And then the fourth one. And I've heard so many horror stories about people who live life without the fourth name a nickname. We all know that person who doesn't have a nickname. Flex Oh, it's just just Jess anything.
Speaker 1: This is hitting a little too coast to home for some Okay.
Speaker 2: So it's just Chris, just okay, cool, It's just Caitlyn.
Speaker 1: That's Kaitlin.
Speaker 2: So, for example, let me give you an example of a name that could work. Okay, Victoria Pumpkin, Lupeter cherry, surname smith.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Do you see what I mean? Yeah? What you do is as she's growing up developing identifying, she might say Victoria doesn't really fit. I'm more of a Cherry and people be like, well, not something a real name? Is it? Actually it is? It is differ So when I have to say, oh, your real name's not Flex, what's your real name Lilian? It throws people off Lilian flex a handkin. It's missing two other names to really sell the story. So do your children a favor. Understand that all we do is people is find different ways to categorize and stereotype each other. Right. When I used to go for job in two years before I was flex, I would say more often than not people would be like, oh, I didn't think you never mind. So it was the amount of times people were like, I thought you'd be German. Interesting, I'm here now, and who said I wasn't. I'm ah, you're good, good job. So it goes I'm all I'm just saying, and I just read an article in the ABC. It's what we know already. People are going so far as to changing their names legally in the cost of living crisis to be more presentable or permissible of job opportunities. Just know the world we live in.
Speaker 1: That's me when I sign anything off LP, just in case everybody thinks I was a boy for clout in the workplace.
Speaker 2: Nice. You know what it worked? Nice?
Speaker 1: I mean a little customer service for.
Speaker 2: Hiding with the LP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's on that.
Speaker 2: Don't ask what you can do for patriarchy, Ask what patriarchy can do for you. Amen.