Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. And welcome to older new TV Reload listeners. My name is Benjamin Norris, and this is your podcast to get all the insight goss on the popular TV shows that you may be watching from around the world. I focus on a variety of reality shows, scripted dramas, comedies, and documentaries from freeoware channels and our most popular streaming services. Undeniably, our TV sets are a major part of our home entertainment, and very little is known about how our favorite shows get made. Each episode, I find guests that want to dive just that little bit deeper into the shows they're currently making so that you can hear all their exclusive stories and gain access to the biggest names in television. I want to thank you for downloading or subscribing to this podcast. I love hearing your feedback, so make sure you leave a comment on your chosen podcast platform and I will make sure you feel as included as possible in the production of this show. This episode of the podcast, I have someone I've been chasing to come on the pod since the very first episode. It is ITV Studio Australia's superstar EP and secret weapon Jarla Webster. Truth be told, Jaala is usually locked away working on shows like I'm a Celebrity, The Voice and Love Island Australia, especially at the times that I usually would feature these shows. It made sense to record this episode in the non ratings period and this will be my last episode of the summer series before I'm fully back on deck in twenty twenty three. Jala and I met when I was in Big Brother through an unusual circumstance, as she produced and voiced the show called Little Sister. Of course I was a housemate and she was the voice of the title role, but there was something extraordinarily magical about the impact that she had on the housemates and you as an audience.
Speaker 2: And I'd already signed on to do that twenty twelve year a Big Brother and I always say that hilariously, that's the show that kind of saved my career, or like gave me the love of television again.
Speaker 1: Finding her niche at the time was instrumental in shaping where Jaala fit into the Australian television industry.
Speaker 2: That was the first show I'd ever done. It was twenty for our turnaround, and like, that's sort of become as something that I specialize in these days.
Speaker 1: Having the skill set to know which story is to follow, cut and put in the show is a real art form.
Speaker 2: I'm a celebrity. You've got Casey John Evan. She starts talking about being catfish and You're like, holy shit, this is it, this is happening. We're going to go with this story.
Speaker 1: Obviously, we will find out who her favorite contestant of all time is.
Speaker 2: It's someone I can tell you now after watching him for fifteen sixteen hours a day, like I've never seen a person who is more true to themselves.
Speaker 1: I will also ask about the villain edit and how complicated it is to tell someone's true story over a season.
Speaker 2: I would never go, well, I'm only going to show the nasty parts of this person, because then we've got our villain.
Speaker 1: We will also get some pretty exclusive stories from Jarla, and I feel like this chat is offering a new voice that we really haven't heard from before. However, we should probably bring Jarla into the podcast now, and I really hope you enjoy this episode. Hi, Jarla, thank you for doing the podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, I'm very nervous.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm excited to chat with you because you have made so many of my favorite shows. I probably should ask you what's been your favorite show that you've worked on. Is there something that has stayed with you for a very long time and feels very much like your own.
Speaker 2: I definitely say Love Island is my favorite show. When we went and made season one in Spain, you know, we kind of got there and obviously we'd watch the show and we knew the format, and we'd worked really hard to kind of like think of what we would do, and then when you get there and you're like, holy shit, this is intense. And we were like, oh god, we're way on the staff for this, and we weren't prepared and well not prepared for what it actually ended up being. And then that was amazing because the whole team, especially with my post team, everyone was just like can we do this? And it's like, all right, everyone just chuck in and we're going to make this thing. And I've never seen a group of people pull together more than on that show. On that series, as we worked out what the show was, and then it kind of evolved within the making of that show of like how do we make it the Australian version, and a lot of that was like we'd thought of things, but then it was like, in the heat of the moment, all of those things sort of changed and evolved to become the very weird show that we now made.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to go back to the start and ask you how did you get started in television? Like what was it about television that made you want to work in it?
Speaker 2: So I thought I was going to be a news journal and I went to university to do journalism, and when I got there, I was like, oh, I don't really like news that much. But there wasn't like reality television like literally Big Brother very first season a Big Brother in Australia was my first year of university, and so being a producer wasn't a thing that you could study, Like, there wasn't even really a name for that job yet. So I just sort of remember being like, oh, I want to do TV, but I don't want to do news, so what is that? And it sort of took me a few years and then yeah, I kind of ended up working like lifestyle television things like that, and then yeah, sort of almost like taught myself how to make reality television. I was working for a really small production company and they got like a pilot that they could make and they were like, you're the youngest person in the company, so you must know how to make real television. So I remember like watching all these episodes of like weird shows from America and going, oh, so if there's a scene, then you have to do an interview about that scene, and then that's where you would cut it in. Like I literally watched things and tried to teach myself the format of reality and then yeah, eventually I kind of, you know, obviously got to be a big girl and go and work on big television shows.
Speaker 1: After that, what was the first big show that you got to work on.
Speaker 2: I'm still based in Brisbane and I was living in Brisbane and I applied to go and work on the second season of Master Chef. The first season of Master Chef just like blew my mind, Like I think it blew the Lord of Australia's mind. It was like the production qualities and like the way they made the show. Yeah, so I got to go down and I worked on the second season of that, and I was so nervous, but yes, it all worked out. Fantastically And yeah, no, I absolutely loved it.
Speaker 1: What would you tell yourself now that you're at this stage of your career, what advice would you give yourself starting on that big you know, it's a huge show master.
Speaker 2: Chef, Probably that just because you've worked on small shows doesn't mean that you're skill set is any different. In fact, maybe it makes your skill set bigger when you work on really small shows or small productions, like maybe in regional places or like smaller you know, kind of areas that like you actually have to do everything because there isn't like a massive crew, so you actually probably have a lot more skills than you realize. So when I got there, I was like trying to like lift the lights up and help the crew pack down, and they're like, what the hell are you doing? That's not your job, Go away.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. I guess what was your first impression of working in Australian television.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think when I first got to Sydney and I was working on those bigger shows, one thing that like really struck me and inspired me was that like a lot of the EPs were women, like a huge amount and still to this day, like a huge amount of Australian television is run by female EPs and watching them do it and just being like, yeah, I think it was like a whole group of us, you know, girls that were kind of like maybe mid twenties at that point and thinking I'm going to do that one day and there are all the people who are EPs.
Speaker 1: Now, what did working on something like Big Brother teach you? And was that a bit of a turning point for you in your career in twenty.
Speaker 2: Twelve, Yeah, I was actually thinking about getting out of television, and I'd already signed on to do Big Brother. I'd had kind of you know, you just sort of have a couple of bad jobs and you think, come, maybe I'm not good at this anymore. And I'd already signed on to do that twenty twelve year a Big Brother, And I always say that hilariously, that's the show that kind of saved my career or like gave me the love of television again. That was the first show I'd ever done that was twenty four hour Turnaround and like that's sort of become something that I specialize in these days, and I love, love, love twenty four hour Turnaround because it's it's real it's true. It's literally happening right there in front of you. My job on that first season was a control room producer, So you're literally sitting in the control room watching all of you guys for got up to like fifteen hours a day, and it's your job because there's obviously, as you know, there's a million things happening in that house, so it's your job to decide which two things are going on stream because we're not recording it everything, so you're constantly hunting around looking for stories, going like is there something better happening in the bathroom? Is there something better happening in the kitchen? And sometimes you kind of flick over and like listen, and you'd be like, holy shit, the best thing that's ever happened on this show is currently happening, and I don't have it on streat. You're like, and it was so exciting and it was so yeah, it really It completely changed my passion for television and I absolutely love Big Brother as a format, and before I did Love Island, Big Brother was definitely my favorite.
Speaker 1: I still think Love Island in a way is a derivative of.
Speaker 2: Oh exactly because it's it's people. The only shift is when I first saw when I first saw Love Island, I thought, you know, what they've done. They've taken the best part of Big Brother and just made it that because like the funnest, most exciting part of any Big Brother season is when there's a romance and you're watching the brewing romance and you're waiting to see if they're actually going to kiss and all of those things. And so it's like they've taken like the most exciting storylines you can get from Big Brother and made that the format. I one hundred percent think they're like one hundredercent linked in that sense.
Speaker 1: I think it's why I like Love Island because I love Love Island Australia because it does remind me of that social experiment element that was so well captured with Big Brother. You know, you do get a chance to really get to know these people. We get to see longer conversations on Love Island Australia, which I absolutely love. We actually feel like we get to know these people because we can hear everything that they're saying.
Speaker 2: One thing that we did, especially in this past season, we had two beach huts, which is basically the die room, you know, like where they come and do that kind of confessional interview, and we had two of them this year, so we could actually do longer interviews with everyone, and we spent a lot more time giving them a space to really unpack their thoughts and feelings, which in the past sometimes you're busy. You know, you've got, like said, sometimes you've got like seventeen islanders and you just got to punch through all of them. And I think, not only are we giving you bigger chunks of their conversations, but then we're giving you bigger chunks of their inner monologue, which you know, because not everyone says the thing that they want to say in a scene, but then if they can then kind of explain to you in their interview, damn it, this is the thing I wish I'd said to him as he was saying that thing to me. You have the full kind of experience of them, and that's why I think you get to know them better. So we worked really hard to give them space to give us more in depth kind of in a monologue, and then we had really beautiful stuff that we could use then in the edit. So I do I think we worked really hard to make them very full rounded characters, not just I like this boy.
Speaker 1: It was the best season of Love Island I've seen from around the world, and I watch it everywhere, and it was so It was because it was so funny as well, Like I can't remember laughing at any other series of any other show as much as I was laughing along with these people. The best scene of that whole thing was where they were the girls were together and they were talking about like mystical creatures and being like, do you believe in a mermaid?
Speaker 2: Do you, guys believe in mermaids? I believe in mermaids. Every single thing is real, because how.
Speaker 1: Do they come up with that?
Speaker 2: You know, it's like mythological, like all their readings and all that, Like, how does someone just like make it that? I know, you can't think about it, guys. Is Back in the day, people didn't have the eyesight. They didn't have the glasses. You could see something, be a shadow. They didn't have glasses to help them see so they could be like me, right now, I probably think that's like a fucking dragon.
Speaker 1: When it's a chair.
Speaker 2: I think all of us are now smarter having born witness to this conversation. I mean The other thing from that scene, which you know kind of comes back to me being a post person, is the way I think it was Scottie Rouse cut it. I think they go, look, I mean, without my glasses on, down there that chair, that could be a dragon, and he cuts to this empty shot of a chair, and it just makes it so much funnier, you know, like they were very funny class and then when they're already giving you funny stuff, like we can keep adding on kind of extra layers of like visual gags to it. That makes it even funnier.
Speaker 1: So my partner and I we watched all of that together. It's one show that we are non negotiable. We have to watch the whole thing together. But we now say, when we've been drinking, I've had too much to drink. I mean, that could be a dragon.
Speaker 2: My favorite part about La Violet is that, like it's so dumb, but we're not pretending to be anything other than that. But then it gives you all these like very just odd kind of references.
Speaker 1: Stella to me and Claudia, they were my favorites, but that's because they were so real. They were so willing to just be themselves and say silly things, you know.
Speaker 2: Because I think both of them were exactly We never showed them to be anything other than exactly who they were, and like that is the true blessing of twenty four hour turn Around. We don't have time to do anything except tell the story for what it is and show them to be exactly who they are. And you know, I remember the first day that Stella walked into the casting room and I was like, this girl has to go on the show. Like she just went off on this like random thing about she'd gone to buy seven lip glosses because she was so nervous about the interview, and I was like, did you wear any of the lip glosses? And she's like no, but I've got them all here. She pulled them out of her handbag and I was like, this girl is amazing. And she was exactly that on the show. Like she was kind of a perfect disaster, you know, but that's who she is, so we weren't making her look like a disaster. That's just who she is as a person. So that's my favorite part about twenty for hours turn Around is that like we can only tell what's actually happening, and honestly, what happens, especially on the Violin. I mean, Big Brother was the same. We couldn't script that shit. Like if I went in me and I was like, what's going to happen? Is Cassidy who was like shafted by like Grant and now's the Taylor and they're clearly in love. She's going to pick him again. People be like, that's a terrible story arc. I'm like that, no one's gonna believe that, But that's the stuff that happens. So it's cool in the sense that you're watching it going I can't believe they've just done that, And then you go, how do I best tell this in the edit? Now? Like, what do we bring to the truth of their insane choices that's going to make it even more entertaining for the audience?
Speaker 1: Well, you brought us something really interesting, and that is the audition process. And I mean, you've been quite instrumental in getting a lot of people cast on a lot of these big shows that you've worked on. Is it easy to know that someone in front of you behaving a certain way in an interview is going to consistently play that once you get them on the show. And was there a way in which over time that you've been able to try and make sure that happens.
Speaker 2: You would like to believe that you're on it, but there's definitely evidence that you can't always be on it, Like there is definitely there is a person who I won't name, who we put in the Big Brother House one of the years that I did it, and I was convinced that they were the biggest, greatest star that we had ever ever met, and they just crumbled in the house. And that's not to say that they faked it with us, but I think environments can affect people. And you can speak to this obviously because you lived in that environment. Not everyone can live in a weird bubble universe like Big Brother or like Love Island, or like I'm a celebrity. So I don't think people necessarily have faked us out. It's just that the version of that we saw when they were happy and free and living their life and seeing their friends and family isn't going to be the version of themselves that necessarily comes through in the villa or the house or something like that. But every now and then you get caught out and you think, shit, yeah, we've stuffed it up here.
Speaker 1: My mind's thinking about who this person is. Over I've got lots of theories, but I remember very clearly the last There was two things that Alex said to me before I went into the house. I was literally it was nighttime. It was twelve thirty at night and the doors were about to open, and he said, just don't stop talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my biggest thing with anyone in any reality, So whether it's a you know, you're trapped in a house kind of or mastership, it's like you have to go with the experience. Don't fight against it. The worst possible thing you can do is fight against the experience because you're gonna have a shit time. You're going to constantly wonder why you're there, and you're not going to be giving the best version of yourself, Like you're not going to be coming up great in the edit because like you're clearly unhappy. Like you have to go in and want to participate, Like don't be a person sitting in the background watching stuff and being kind of cynical about it, like be part of the thing. Like not that many people get to do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I pretty much thought, but from my experience with Big Brother was that if anything was happening in the house. I had to be somehow involved, and I had to be really raw, and I had to be like because it was uncomfortable to watch back at times. And I think that's sometimes how contestants think they don't like the edit, But when you are truly being yourself and being unfiltered, it is uncomfortable. But it's real, you know.
Speaker 2: Like lots of people always like, oh, the edit made me look bad, and you know, I don't have that much power, you know, like if you said or did something uncomfortable, shitty, mean, I can't make you have said that, you know, frank and grabbing doesn't work that way for the most part. I can maybe heighten that by the music choice of putting behind it or the next scene I play that comes straight after that to kind of juxtapose what's just happened. But I can't make you unhappy, nasty, you know, vindictive. I can't make you those things unless there was an essence of that already there. So but I do think it's just that it's hard for people because no one really likes to think of themselves as any of those negative qualities. So when you see it on screen, you're like that's not me. And it's like, well, it wasn't that moment, but maybe there's a reason why you were that way. Your feelings were hurt, you were kind of feeling cornered. It's like you blashed out in the heated moment. That doesn't define you as a person, but that's how he felt in that moment.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, when people say those moments, they're the best moments of these shows. When people say things and I'm like, oh God, that's embarrassing, but that's what's going to make us connect to you. And I think sometimes you kind of have to not worry about what the audience are thinking of you.
Speaker 2: You kind of just have to be like that possible reality participant is a person who's thinking about what the audience is thinking of them.
Speaker 1: You can't curate it, No, you just can't. You know, you played this little sister role in Big Brother when I was there, and it kind of has a cult status, and I wanted to ask you about that role, like how did that come about? Because why wasn't Big Brother just Big Brother to do that part of the show and ask us how we were feeling, you know, was it something that you put together and thought, no, we need to create this secondary character because that may get more. It did get more, but you know.
Speaker 2: I would like it's completely by accident. There was a day that Alex and Sirius producer at the time, Matt Bath, were like, let's just have Big Brother go on holiday for the day. Because the idea was that we didn't want to produce you guys so much through Big Brothers interactions. So we said, big Brothers on break for the day. You guys do whatever you want, and you guys took it upon yourselves to stay in bed for four hours. You were like, we're not getting out of bed because we don't have to because Big Brother A and here, and I was the controller and producer on that day and I just remember calling that and going westcrewed. We got no scenes right now, Like we got one scene out of like the last four hours, Like I don't know how we're going to make a show. And he came back and he's like, do you want to be a little sister, because we're going to tell them that like little sister, we gonna come in and read everyone up and be like get out of bed, which we did, which was solely just for trying to get some content out of that day. I mean, can tell this story better. Network wanted another thirty minutes worth of a show, and he had the idea in the shower and he pitched it to them that it was going to be this little sister thing, and you know, little sister could ask questions a big brother couldn't ask. And I got called in after I'd done a full night shift and it was like, can you get here right now? And I got there and the like, right, so, you've got your own show, You've got a voice it, you've got to produce it, you've got to edit it, and it's going to air in two days time. So I yes, was terrified, and then I just jumped into it. And I kept thinking because I had I'd spent so much time watching you guys, like you said, like I was watching you guys sometimes fifteen hours a day, So how I knew all the things that you guys were maybe feeling and not saying, or stories that you'd started to tell and someone had cut you off in a group setting. So it's kind of like I remember, like you and Estelle in particular, were people that I was like, I remember you were starting to tell your story of say, coming out, and I was like, you never got to tell that properly, and I kind of wanted to hear it just partly from myself, but I knew the audience would be really connected to that. So I remember like being really with girls, like you don't have to tell this story to me if you don't want to, but you know, like I wanted to give you that platform to like tell that in your own way and like really like share that and own that. Would you mind telling me about when you came out to your family?
Speaker 1: People understood my sexual orientation before I did, and in that I rebelled against the notion and the idea that I was gay, and it took me some time to be comfortable with my sexuality and then tell my friends and my family.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was. It was a completely accidental thing. And the whole reason the show we even became a show was just because the network wanted an extra thirty minutes of content for a few weeks.
Speaker 1: But you were fantastic with the way in which you got that out of us. I mean, that's a real skill set in itself. Did it make you want to go in front of the camera because you did get this opportunity to be a big part of that show and you were so good at it. Did it make you think, oh, well, I could be in front of the camera as well as behind.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. I mean, when I was younger, as I thought I was going to be a journal so I kind of thought I was going to be on camera. But the more and more you go in television, or for me at least, I kind of just kept realizing that, like the real creative power, at least the sort that I like, is in making the show, you know, and like especially I kind of fell into post by accident. I've only been doing that maybe for the last sort of five or six years, but even more so, like there's so much power and the choices that you make in the edit of what you're making people feel, what parts of the story they're seeing, and not in a bad way where it's like I'm taking this away so you feel this and you don't feel this, but it's like the choices that are getting made will bring the whole thing together. So I think I feel more creative power in the being the behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: You know, you've worked with Alex Maverdikis as I mentioned him before, but you've worked with him a lot. What is it about your working relationship with him that works so well and makes such good television?
Speaker 2: Alex is a big ideas man, you know, and he is I think the best in the bits of just coming up with random shit right on the spot there and like things that no one else has kind of thought of. And then I would say myself and Remo, who normally works with him on I'm a Celebrity, would also fall into this category where the ones that then have to make those ideas make sense. So I think we're both really good at like taking that idea and then like how do you actually make that idea work? Like the David you know, last year's Fake Celebrity is a prime example of that. Like they pitched and I was like, great idea, sexy, cool, amazing, and then it's like, but how does this actually work? Like even just like the mission statement at the very start of that first episode where it's like this is what we're doing, It's like we spend so much time trying to work how much information do you give in that? And like how do you explain the audience where they're going to get it straight away. It's like, you know, it's those ditty gritty things. So I think Alex is the big ideas man, I kind of work out how to make those ideas work. And then the other thing is Alex is all the humor, and I'm like to think I can be mildly entertaining and funny at times as well, but then I think I bring a lot more at the heart. So I think even in our personalities, that's very much our balance. Alex is the big brash one, and I'm the one that will come in and give you a hug. So I think that's the kind of like perfect balance between the two things.
Speaker 1: I'm always fascinated on how you can get hundreds of hours down to a tight and engaging show, you know, from the footage being collected to their sort of final edit process. How are you doing this? Like is there a way to even summarize.
Speaker 2: That when you're working on something like say the Voice, because I do that as well, and that's a long form edit, so that's in a more traditional sense, we're not putting out an episode every day. Sometimes that can be harder, I think, because like you're looking at everything and you're like really digging down into it and you're like, well, we could go this direction or this direction or this direction. Whereas on something like I'm a Celeb and Love Island, you got instinct to make a choice and you follow that choice, and even if you kind of halfway through and go, I don't know if this was necessarily the right choice, there ain't no time to go back, so you just got to kind of follow through with it and make it the best choice. But I think with those shows, it's blatantly obvious what the big story arc of the day is. Generally, sometimes that doesn't become clear until later in the evening, and then I think it's about filling in the gaps around that big kind of story arc or like the big moments that have happened. And sometimes it's like finding like little things that like don't even fit with the story. Like there was a scene in the season that we just did where like Tack and Stellar are sitting this is early on outside they're talking about rapping. She's going to stilly rap with him, and then he kind of just says, oh, it's been a bit hard in here. It's like not what I thought it was. Going to be like and it's hard sometimes when you're not the first pick. And the thing is that story didn't attach to anything. There was no tack in Stellar storyline in that episode. There was no kind of reason to show that scene because normally you're looking at like I need the building blocks to get to the endpoint of something like there was no toupling up we're going to see Stellar attack together or anything like that. But it was such a beautiful scene that you're like, oh, I have to put it in. It doesn't matter that it doesn't fit with the big story up. So I think it's like you've got the big things that have to go in, and then you're looking for either those really beautiful scenes or like a Unicorn I believe in Unicorn scene. That's not necessary, No one needs to know that piece of information, but it's really really funny. So it's like every episode, you know the stuff that has to go in because it's going to feed through the storylines. And then you're looking for those little moments that are like character pieces that are just like either heartwarming ridiculous, and that's how you kind of make your decisions.
Speaker 1: This might seem like a really boring question, But like, you know, are you on set at all times watching this through a control room? And how do you say to the camera man, like put that in the tank because I'm going to work on that later and cut it up and make it what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So when it's true twenty four hour Turnaround, you know where we're literally we're about to go back and do it after COVID again with I'm a celebrity, So with something like that, there's a control room. I don't normally sit in the control when we're doing true twenty four hour turn Around, I'll be sitting kind of in a like an row of edit sweets, and we have what we call the quad, which has basically got your A story and your B story that are coming through. And I'm just watching that constantly while doing other things. And if I see a scene, say this is a year's old example, but like I'm a celebrity, You've got Casey Donovan. She starts talking about being catfish and You're like, holy shit, this is it, this is happening. We're going to go with this story. Obviously, it normally takes us twenty minutes to get that vision in, so like the scene might not even be finished yet, and I'll have it back into an edit suite and people are starting to do like a cut down of it, and then from there you obviously you would go into the control room. Everyone would know we're covering that story because it's amazing, but it's like, here's the questions that we need to ask Casey when we get her into the top talkie, which is their diary room, And here's how we need to dig down on those things so that we can really fill out the story. Because even with that one, she told the story in a very matter of fact way in that scene, and people who have been through something kind of sad or traumatic like often almost tell those stories like a robot. I've noticed that, like heaps on things with like the voice. It's like, why are they sad while they're telling the story. It's well, they've told it so many times that they kind of have to protect themselves. Here's the facts, here's what happened.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was sad, And that's where you're like, I need to ask this in the tiktoki to make them cry, to give the emotion.
Speaker 2: Yes, to some extent, I mean not that I'm trying to make it cry, but you know like it was it was the interview that sold that scene. So you are always looking for, like, I want to dig a bit deeper. I want to know how you actually felt about that, as opposed to you just repeating the facts of that thing that had happened to you. So that's kind of how we do it. So then you like, so sometimes a scene will go for forty minutes, You've got to cut it down to two and a half or three good minutes of that. So there's just a process of refining. It's like, don't need that part of the story, don't need that part of the story. You get it down to like normally maybe like a seven minute edit. Have these are all the good bits. Then it's like which good bits are we throwing out now? Like which babies are we going to kill? And then you start looking at adding in your interview. So that's kind of how it happens when it's like true twenty four hour turn around. But the last few seasons of like Love Island and I'm a Celebrity, we've been slightly delayed with the quose. So then I am sitting in the back of the control room watching the scenes going like that's a fucking scene. It's just sort of like you've got notes ready to go so that you can pass that through a post when it gets to them.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that the shows that you make feel like, you know, investing in human experiment, which is kind of where reality TV comes from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it is always just and you know, by the end of it, sometimes I hate them, but like I go into every series loving everyone, and I love them and I want them to do well, and I want them to be amazing characters, and I want them to share every part of themselves. And it's almost like by willing them into that and like giving them the platform and trying to ask the right questions in the in the diar room or the top talky if you've got if you got it in the moment, then of course I can put it in the edit. And if you didn't get it in the moment, sometimes you can kind of trick it up to make it seem like you got it in the edit. But it's like, I just I don't think you ever want to watch not anymore. Oncepon a time, reality television had to be very much like A equals A plus vehicles c Because it was a new format, but like we've been watching this stuff for twenty two years now, Like people don't need to see all of those pieces, So don't just go aplus vehicle C. Like you could start with A, only tell a tiny bit of B, but then like give way more of C because it's going to make you feel more, So you don't have to follow all those rules. It's like, do I either feel like joyful, sad, pissing myself laughing, or like want to cry? Like you shouldn't be feeling many other things in between that of watching television shows, because otherwise what are you watching it for?
Speaker 1: Do you try and keep a wall between I mean it was interest before you were saying about when the show starts, you love all of them. You know you love all the contestants, but do you pick a favorite? Like is it just human nature that as the show goes on that you as a person resonate with particular participants.
Speaker 2: I think definitely, there's always like ones that you resonate more with. My favorites are always and these will be different to how other people. For lots of times, people like I hate that contestant. They're annoying the shit out of me, and I was like, no, no, no, no, no. I love them. The ones I love are the people who came to work because my biggest fear is, and I've been in this situation, is that you get to like two hours out from a show about to go to war, and you don't have enough content. We don't have enough good content. You're having to put stuff that you don't think should be in the show to air because you've got to fill the minutes. In my mind, being a reality contestant in whatever format.
Speaker 1: Is a job.
Speaker 2: Like you are there to work. So anyone who comes, they wake up every day and they think, right, what am I going to do today? And you said this yourself. It's like, if there's something happening, I should go and get involved in it. Not there just to have a nap. Like that's not television. You know. Lots of people do they come and they just nap while they're on these shows, and you're like, what are you doing? Mate?
Speaker 1: I think they're the ones that goggle box the show inside the show, and it happens all the time, and I'll watch shows and I'll be like, oh my god, what the hell is this person goggle boxing this show within that the situation, it's a wasted person. It should be someone else, you know, yes.
Speaker 2: And you know, like they're the people that we probably got like slightly tricked by in the you know, in the casting room and you're like, God, damn it, come and do something. But you know, my favorites are always the ones that actually work and they give me content. And they're not necessarily like being camera hogs or like, you know, camera sluts Saroughly, they're just people who are like I came here to have the full experience, so I'm going to have the full experience, and then that obviously translates normally for me to the content. So they're my favorites.
Speaker 1: I interview a lot of reality TV and does it's not just people behind the scenes, and I often say, I love you on this show. I've asked you to be on the podcast because you wanted to buy the show back, and you bought the Love Island and showback. You got all the things that you could possibly get out of it, and you've walked away with the reward. It's an interesting way do you try and keep a wall between the talent and yourself, because I mean that must be quite a surreal. Part of the process is that you've watched these people for so long, you've put this stuff together. What's the process like in your mind? Do you want to meet them after the show's over to have a conversation or do you just is it like a big meal you just push the plate away and run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the most part, I think maybe when I was younger, I wanted to like sometimes I wanted to meet like, especially after I've done Little Sister with you guys, I wanted to meet you guys because obviously we've had some pretty you.
Speaker 1: Know, intense conversations stations.
Speaker 2: But yeah, now it's this hilarious thing because a lot of the time I won't meet any of them before even they go into the show, or if I do, it's like once on, you know, like the day that we shoot the backstories, and so I'm just some random lady that's asking them to dance in ne bikini. So they don't have any sense of like how much I know them, Like I know these people so intimately. I know every thought and feeling and like what time they go to the bathroom and all sorts of weird things about these people. And when I'm in it. I'm so in it that I frustratingly it drives me crazy. But I dream constantly about the show that I'm making, So you guys are in my dreams all the time. But for that reason, as soon as it's over, it's almost like I just wipe the slave. It's like I try and blank it all out because at some point I'm going to have to put a whole new group of people in my brain and let them move in there. So yeah, no, I think it's better for me.
Speaker 1: To push the plate away.
Speaker 2: Then push the plate away.
Speaker 1: Do you find did you find though, when you met people, you know, after work on the show, and then you would get a chance to be with them, that they were the same.
Speaker 2: Because I'm seeing the whole fifteen hours or whatever it is. So I'm seeing them when they're on and I'm seeing them when they've had a shit time and they're having a cry in the you know, in the diary room or whatever it is. So I think because I've got a broader spectrum of the whole experience that they've had each day, for the most part, I think people feel like so I always feel like I know those characters extremely well because I've seen the goodad, so no. I mean, for me, I think it feels like they're kind of the same. But I can see if you were maybe either a viewer or you were in the experience with people, they would seem different once you got out.
Speaker 1: The question I also had for you was do you think that reality TV will reinvent itself in the coming years because you've been working at it for so long that you've seen stages of it, you know, where there's been live turnaround and unfortunately with COVID making a lot of these shows pre recorded, you know these this space of reality TV continuously changes. You know, do you think it's going to reinvent itself again in the next coming years.
Speaker 2: I mean it's inevitable because you know, people kind of keep, I think, almost hoping that reality television is going to go away, But you know, twenty two years on, with everyone still watching it, I think it kind of has to keep reinventing itself, in part just because the audience keeps getting savvier to the tricks of the shows. So it's almost like I kind of think you either need to you either go back old school, and I don't know whether any network would ever be brave enough to do this, and you just do pure social experiment. But that gets really hard because obviously even the contestants are savvy. But like go back to like really just leaving people alone and just seeing what they do. Or when I was working in I was working New York for a few years and I was working on a show called teen momog and that had evolved in a weird way where they started using the scenes with the producers, not all the time, just sometimes. And that was because those girls had been on show since they was sixteen. They're now about I think Macy was about twenty four at that point when I was working with her, so they've been reality stars for like eight years. And sometimes they'd be like, I'm not going to do that because you know, they've been on the show for so long since they can do that. And then they started using the scenes of them saying like why they didn't want to do that scene, or like why they didn't want to have a conversation with the producer, and using that in the edit because that in itself was actually now part of their story, you know, like the fight against like which parts of themselves they did or didn't want to show, the audience was actually part of their story. So some ways, it's like like peeling back the curtain a little bit further, not saying you should have producers in your show, but maybe that's sort of something that also needs to kind of keep evolving, just because I think the audience are like, well, we know there's producers in the room with you, so it's like, don't pretend that those things aren't happening. But yeah, I mean, I don't know, it's like it's always going to keep evolving. I have no real idea where any of it's.
Speaker 1: Going to go. Is there anything that you'd like to see changed? Do you want to say less of stylized editing. I guess that's sort of stepping I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I'm I'm like the number one advocate for stylized editing, So if anything, I would say one thing that I've been really lucky with all of my shows is that the networks have kind of let me and my editors off the leash. And that doesn't mean that we're like cutting everything like insanely fast. Sometimes we do th cut things insanely fast because it gives you a feeling, but you know, like it's sort of being able to Like I said before, it's like skipping some of the storytelling steps because the audience doesn't need to know every single piece of information for it to make sense to them. The audience is extremely smart and savvy to how reality television works. Now. I think maybe it would be like some of those very formatted shows like Letting the Reins Off a little bit more probably, but that's more just that something that I stylistically like. I like it when things are kind of loose and you don't have to stick to a structure. But you know, some people the structure is the thing that they like about watching those shows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I have reviewed to show yesterday where it was like this big show from the UK. It's not from here, and I don't want to mention the name of the show because the network centered to me and it's not out yet. But it was so formulated, it was so structured reality TV structure for this new concept, and it just felt so same same me that even though so many elements of it were amazing, it had no tone, it had no pulse, and I was like rigid and they were just going through the motions. It was like big entrance here. Interview that person now and then, and everything was working and everyone was firing, and all the judges were saying things at the right time. They had their little one liner, and I was like, Oh, this show's going to bomb.
Speaker 2: Like we a few years ago, we kind of changed the way that we cut the Voice completely. And you know, obviously the chairs still turn, people still sing, like you don't change the format of the show, but we changed the way that we were cutting it. And that's kind of when it had its renaissance of sorts. And I don't think it's an audience you would even realize it was being cut differently. You probably just felt different as you were watching it.
Speaker 1: Are you talking about the first time that we got to see Rita or and Jessica Melboy?
Speaker 2: I think it was two seasons before that is when I started on the Voice, and Lee and Chloe had sort of just been trying to make it a bit edgier and cooler for a few years, and then we kind of brought in a I sort of started on, We brought in sort of quite a few different editors, and we just kind of tried to start making a bit cooler and a bit sexier because it's like a very cool format and you've got cool judges and like great performances and great staging, but it was just kind of being cut in a very structured maybe format, like it was sort of just it felt a bit old fashioned to me at least, and so you know, we had all these cool things that were already happening, and then we just started cutting it differently and then yes, the reader Aura kind of season like that was using all the same tools but all the same tricks, but it's just like you want to feel something as you're watching it. It like we I guess it was just by like taking out some of that structure and that like rigid formatting kind of of like Noll, it has to be cut this way, then it just kind of felt fresher. And I think before that, like I remember one of the editors who had worked on a previous season had been like, oh, I was told I can't use dips to black, and I was like, what what does that mean? It was like, oh, we just don't do that on this show. And there's lots of shows where it's like, oh, we just don't do that on this show. But I'm always like, do whatever you want, Like if it makes it better, like if it makes you feel something like, cut it however you want. So I almost like probably to like some people's horror. Like I don't really have any rules of like how we cut things other than staying within like the parts of the format that we have to keep to make the show makes sense. But it's just like, yeah, if you want to do a dip to black, if you want to do like some crazy music montage in this section, like let's just do it if it makes it feel better, And like sometimes we do that stuff and then we're like it feels a bit indulgent, whanky that bit, doesn't it, So let's just take that pack out again. But like, giving people the freedom to like try different ways to cut things and try different ways to tell those stories is cool because like you never know what someone's going to come up with.
Speaker 1: Well, trust your instinct. I think that's what's important when it comes to telling stories. I think that you have to feel it. And then you know. I was going to ask, do you ever get asked by Alex which celebrities you want on I'm a celebrity to get me out of here, and have you got like a list of celebrities that you keep asking to do the show.
Speaker 2: No, I tell you the truth, I leave that alone. The one person that I really wanted on the show with Dylan, So when we got you know, he'd been kind of tossed around like the previous series as well. I was really sad that we hadn't got Dylan on the show. And then when I found out we had him, I was like, yes, I'm so excited. And then he was like everything you wanted him to be in more, you know, like he is like and he's someone I can tell you now after watching him for fifteen sixteen hours a day, like I've never seen a person who is more true to themselves and just nice. God, he's the loveliest man, insanely lovely. So yes, he was probably one of my favorites. I think Casey Donovan I loved it when she was on the show. I think that whole series, like Casey, Nazim, Steve Price, like that was such an interesting collection of people that shouldn't have all been in a room together getting along, but they were and it was awesome. So No, I kind of I try not to get too involved in casting for celeb.
Speaker 1: I just wondered whether you'd be like, you know, Alex, You've got to get this person on. He's like, no, you know, and then you feel like you have to pitch them.
Speaker 2: I always the one thing I always say to Alex is we have to have our winning formula has been Heartland kind of chicks, so like Brook one fill that kind of role. You need to have someone who is a celebrity but is very very down to earth and good at taking the piss out of themselves and other people. And I think that's the thing that kind of like balances out all of the celebrity kind of factor of the show. So I'm a big fan of that kind of a character in the mix. And we've gotten that ride the last two seasons in particular, like just like that person has sewn the whole show together. If you hadn't had Jessel Brook, I don't think the shows would have been in any way what they were. And I also always love it when we have someone who is genuinely musically talented, because it is awesome to see Paulinie and Jack, Like I just remember hearing Paulini sing one day and she was amazing and I and I was like, God, I really want to be able to like put something to air, and so I was like, what's the song that we don't have to pay for because obviously we don't have the you know, the right that we don't have to pay for. And we were like, amazing Grace. So we literally went to Pauline and we were like, you should sing amazing Grace. And then she went and grabbed Jack and it became like one of the pivotal moments of that series. But it's just because I was like, gosh, she's so talented, Like I just want people to hear how good she can sing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know. What was interesting about Abby Chatfield though, was that I spoke to a lot of people that were in that series, and half of them were like, loved Abbie Chatfield, and the other half thought she was quite villainous, you know, And so I wondered, is their personality types like abbach Hatfield, where you could edit them to be brilliant or you could edit them to be the villain? Like are there people like that? I mean, Aby Chatfield, she puts so much content out there that it would be very easy to just either pick a string of content that makes her glowing and amazing that fits in line with how some people are seeing her.
Speaker 2: Like we've said before, for me, you have to tell the truth of what's happening. And partly that's just because you're only going to shaft yourself later if you tell a version of a story that up until this point you're only painting Abby as a lovely, lovely girl, and you've cut out any of her like neiglarly parts of her personality. Then when suddenly she has a massive fight with someone and everyone's like, where did this come from, it's like, well, yeah, we kind of didn't give you all those parts of the story up until now. So we've been caught out on seasons of something like Big Brother where we're like, oh, let's just not put that scene to where because it's not very nice, And then the next day there's a whole story arc about the scene that you haven't shown to the audience, and everyone's like, what the frick is everyone talking about? So you have to, in my mind, tell as close as you can to the truth of these people, because otherwise you're probably going to get yourself in trouble five episodes down the track because you've tried to whitewash a certain situation. So for Abby, I think there was times when we showed her as like the big, bubbly person who was like the glue that was holding the whole camp together, and then there were other times when she was just like she can be an annoying character, you know, like that's part of her personality, is that, like she'll push people's buttons, or she'll like really dominate conversations about things, or she'll be like very much talking about like you know, feminist things that like maybe don't really sit well with some of the men in the camp. So we would put those things to wear show that she people were being annoyed by that, but not put it to whereas if she was a villain that she was ruining things. It's just like, well, Abby can sometimes push people's buttons. That's the truth of who she is. She's not a villain and she's not a sho She's a person who can be both of those things at different times. So I think that's more I would never go, well, I'm only going to show the nasty parts of this person, because then we've got our villain. Like that's we can't do that on twenty four hour turnaround shows because we'll get in trouble later, basically, like it's not going to be the truth of who they are for the rest of the series, and then I've got to like keep them as a villain for the rest of the series. That's never going to work.
Speaker 1: Is that interesting that people who watch these shows categorize contestants like that that they Is that really fascinating to see the interpretations of other people watching these shows and how they want to categorize people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also for me, sometimes it shocks me when a scene that like my interpretation of what was happening in that scene is one thing, and then you'll see like a like something online or an article about it, and it's like this person was so shitty in this scene, and I was like what, I didn't get that from that at all. So I'm always like I just present all of the pieces and then people are going to take from it what they will. You know, like you would have been considered a villain because you weren't always everyone's best friends, Like you were fairly honest about what was actually going on in that house, and sometimes that's shocking to people. Like being upfront and saying the things that most people say behind people's backs, to people's faces is kind of shocking. So that's not sort of necessarily surprising that people would look at that as like a villainous character when we're trying to like find those like very clear character tropes. But you know, I always try and if someone has got some annoying traits, I won't let them be horrifically annoying in the show, because no one wants to watch someone who's horrifically annoying. But I let them at times annoying some of the other characters because that's part of their character.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming that you've never watched The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Have you watched that show? I'm getting a no from you, But there's Lisa Rinner on that show, and at the moment she's been fired or she's walked away from that show where we're not particularly sure, but she really is the villain on that show to most viewers. But I love her on that show. I'm like, she says what everyone's thinking. And it's so funny that there's a huge portion of the audience, probably the loudest portion of the audience, that use Twitter and Instagram and are more likely to comment a line that crucify her. And it's like, every time I talk to my friends about that show, they're like, no, Ben, Lisa Rinn is amazing on that show. She's wonderful. But yeah, interesting to see the interpretations of some people. Then the loudest people online, you know, I think that's all quite fascinating.
Speaker 2: The loudest people online are the people who are not willing to kind of like say to the person's face, so they're, you know, something further perpetuating all the things that people say.
Speaker 1: The worst things though. They're like, I hate you on that show because you were mean, and then they call you a cunt, and you're like, what, I.
Speaker 2: Try to avoid reading all online things that they.
Speaker 1: Ever read the comments section is what Sandra Bullock always says, just before you go, I have to ask, what do you know about twenty twenty three series of I'm a Celebrity? Get me out of here? Do you have any details? Do you know anything?
Speaker 2: No? The really good thing is I have no secrets that I could accidentally spill because I you know nothing. Yeah, No, I'm I.
Speaker 1: Got nothing, you know, the least amount of nothing. Yeah, And then what do you think do you think we will get Love Olean Australia back this year and do you think it should stay in Spain.
Speaker 2: I would like to believe it's coming back. I don't have an official on that, and I definitely think it should stay in Spain. I just remember everyone when we've got back last year, going wow, it looks so good here. I was like, yeah, it's really easy to make it look like it's Spain when we're in Spain. You know, we spent two years trying to make other places look like Spain, which is tricky as it turns out. Yeah, So I mean, I do think just being in Spain makes it a lot easier to feel like what we think of Island should feel like. So fingers crossed definitely.
Speaker 1: The last question I ask everyone is what is something from behind the scenes, something that the audience won't see or we won't know, kind of like a behind the scenes secret from your time working on some of these amazing shows.
Speaker 2: So the very first season of Love Island, and this was a UK format point, so they used to do these little like character interstitials. So if like, we've just seen a really good scene of say Cassidy, then we go to like about five to ten seconds of like a little music hit and you'd see like Cassidy like looking sexy by the pool. And so for a joke, just for sits and gigs, because this is what you do when it's the middle of the night and you're trying to cut a show. Two of my editor's Poula and Cas cut an interstitial of the cat that we had that was roaming around the villa. It was just as hilarious. It's like, basically the cat lies back on its back, which is what random vision we had, like the cat lies back on its back and like strokes itself kind of thing. And so it's like literally looks like a sexy package of the cat lying by the pool. And we were like, okay, let's just put it in the show and see what the network says. And so you go into the screening at three o'clock in the morning and we get to the part where we cut to the cat intostitial and I'm just sitting there like waiting to be screened at It's like, what's this shit? Take it out? And everyone pissed themselves laughing and they were like, I was like, are you keep the catterstiial and they were like, yeah, we're keeping the cat in stitial, and that was kind of the birth of like the Talking Villa Cat. Basically it became like a character in the show that we got to revive again this season when we went back to Spain. So sometimes the best parts of any show is just shit the post have done to entertain themselves that we somehow managed to sneak through the screenings. And that's a prime example of that. And now somehow we make a television show, we're the talking cat in it.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. And also just the shots of the pink flamingo in the pool, like just the random and the things that the pink flamingco am I Flamingo Flamingo, just the things that the pink flamingo says, what am I watching? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Sometimes you're like, what kind of acid did we take last night? As we and I just can't believe that we actually get to put it to wear, But there we go. We did.
Speaker 1: Jala. I just want to say thank you so much for being so generous with your time and sharing some of your stories. I think you do a fantastic job on these shows, and I think people are going to get a lot out of you being able to share your stories today, so thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Okay, hopefully they were okay good, Alright,