Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: It is LExEN Frooms on CATERA.
Speaker 3: What does it mean when you check that box that you're not a robot cap shah.
Speaker 1: I'm excited you're flexing Frooms on ru Meno boommmy lex Mom. You're listening to Flex and Frooms on cater Very excitingly, ladies and gentlemen, everybody. We have been talking about our cult for actual literal months now, and we're very excited to say that we're actually into a live podcast which we'll be using as the official meetup for our friends and family aka cult members. Akay yo. It's also going to be our last live podcast recording and we want to see you seeing this magic in person in Melbourne. Questions for you all, is there a reason we chose to have our first official meeting in Melbourne? Is there a reason? I mean, we did the same thing last year and it was quite fun. It was like good weather. I went to Ourbury Float afterwards and had a pizza and some drinks, so very happy with that. Also, I recommend going to the MNGB afterwards for cold members coming down. How do we want to identify each other bring gifts. So last year as well, a woman came with her mum and I told them to do love harthands. I can't remember which style of hand or no. I told them to do when you put the index finger, Yeah, what's it called star trek star trek fingers And they did that and then we could see each other. And the last one is this is for you listening. If you come, bring your stories because we're going to be doing love lines live and am I the assholes and we want to hear from you Tuesday, the twenty eighth of November and we'll be there in the afternoon from three pm. So check out in stuff like some rooms for details. Cada had always live in Melbourne. We'll see you there.
Speaker 2: Take time, tech time, text time. It's tech time with Flex and Frooms on Kita push it to the next level.
Speaker 1: Oh, the Flex and Froom show is all about learning and coming together for the great too good. And I have always bunded guys when I go on a website and it makes me check that I'm not a robot box. For years, I thought it was the weirdest, funniest, craziest thing. This has been going on since I record we've been using the internet. You click I'm not a robot and they say, okay, we're going to show you fire HYDRATEX. Then you got to click the fire hydrants and I'm checking, I'm thinking it over. Is that part of the fire hydrant if it's just a little tiny little bit of it is up the top. Turns out there is a method to the madness, and I'm willing to explain it to you all. Capture is what it's called, and a sense of completely automated public turing test to tell computers and humans apart capture you think that they would find a way to make that a little less verbos, would you not? And let me explain it Essentially, when you were clicking I'm not a robot, you were instructing the site to have a look at your data and decide for itself. If the machine is not sure, that's when it directs you to click on light room pictures of fire hydrant that aren't there. When you click on that checkbox, the site sends back a bunch of information to Google, said someone from a security website. This information can be your cursor movement. As you got to click that check box, because apparently humans move their curses with more randomness than a computer. You would hope, also checks your cookies and your device history. Google uses that information to determine the probability that you are human or a robot. Google then sends that score to the website, and if the score is high enough, they'll let you in. Essentially, when you click I'm not a robot, you're giving Google permission to analyze your online behavior to determine if you're a human.
Speaker 2: And even that, I feel like it's not a good It's not good.
Speaker 3: It's not a good way to determine if we're human or not because I feel like all the latest tech now it's figuring out how to mimic what it is to be a human. I'm sure that there's been some random hacker genius who's figured out human key strokes, especially because we're all kind of trained to type in the same way and move our curses similarly. I don't think there'd be that much distinction between how we as human to use our stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe because it feels so second nature to us. There's like all these little quirks that it would be hard to replicate. But apparently in July twenty twenty three, the researchers at Union of California found that aibots were more efficient solve and capture than humans. So it looks like we're going to need a new test. Maybe just plug into the webcam for a sec look at who's looking. You wouldn't be able to do it for me because I recently covered mine up. Why because I just it's there. Anyone could. Really, it's too many horror stories. It's like better protected than not protected. You know you're listening to flex and Rooms on.
Speaker 3: Kit as you know. I'm a self identified and self described girl boss. Do you identify with everything about it? Not particularly, But what I do identify with is encouraging women to figure out how to protect themselves financially in a world that's not made for themselves. I really do resent anti girlboss rhetoric, especially coming from women, because you are not said the same tools that your male counterparts are to survive. And so when women are attacking women about this girl bossory, you are becoming vehicles of the patriarchy. You're doing exactly what they want you to do.
Speaker 1: Also, just to say, I never actually thought about it when I was saying, down with the girl boss. I just thought it was a funny thing to say.
Speaker 3: All the tools that we need to survive in a capitalist world, unfortunately are not handed to us. And if you do not live in a family with the generational wealth, if you don't live in a family that is tertiary educated, if you don't live in a family that has any understanding of, you know, world economics, you do get left behind quite dramatically by the time you reach adulthood. And so I'm not saying be a girl boss, but I'm saying, understand the way the world works, so you can opt out intentionally or opt in intentionally. I found this on the Refinary twenty nine UK website, and it's talking about twenty twenty three study done by the Young Women's Trust that found that fifty six percent of women say their finances have gotten worse over the last twelve months compared to forty percent of men. That's compared to twenty twenty two, just a year ago, where it was forty nine percent of young women versus forty percent of men. That shows a significant gap for me between the two. That's like fifteen percent worse. Babes over the course of a year and no signs of getting better because people don't know that this is happening. It goes on to say that almost a third of the young women's surveyed have been unable to afford food or essential supplies, up from a quarter last year, and that compares to only twenty one percent of men and a quarter of young women have fallen behind on rent or bills in the last year, and only sixteen percent of men have said the same.
Speaker 2: Babes, Come on, now.
Speaker 1: This is the thing.
Speaker 3: When you see one or two exceptional girl bosses spewing patriarchal rhetoric, it's not great, don't follow it. But for the most part, it's when you see stories of business men doing amazing things that doesn't apply to you, because like, no businessman is hiring Sarah over Sam, no businessman is hiring Natalie over Noah. So all I'm saying is protect your neck because the corporations won't, these banks won't, and when you're here on your internet being like na gumbus, it's bad. Now. Look, the unfortunate thing about these surveys is what they couldn't figure out is the why you can have a ton of different hypotheses about why it's happening, the fact that women are marketed towards more often, the fact that we are often sold solutions to insecurities that shouldn't be insecurities, and all of these things. But with that in mind, we're self aware about these things happening, so we should be more self aware about the solution as well. It's very easy to say, oh, just change it and do better, but the first step is to acknowledge that, like, this stuff isn't a game, and people really want you to be behind so they can get ahead in spite of you. It's flexing frooms on Cata, get your bag up.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you girls, but there has been a time in my life where I've been on a bad date. Would we all say that has happened at least once?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the early twenties vibes like when you lack discernment, you're like, this is not what it gives. But I've been on a bad date in like five years, six years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say it's much the same for me as well. It's funny though, I feel like when you're younger, you imagine when you get to like your late twenties, that it's that very movie like you're sitting down at the dinner and it's that kind of bad date. Well, the one bad date that sticks out in my mind that I use an excuse for was when I was like nineteen or twenty and I was on Tinder and I met this guy and we went and got dumplings in the middle of the city, and I just remember like it just was not vibing straight away, like I just knew, so I had to pretend that my friend was having a breakdown. Surely people know when you're lying right.
Speaker 2: In the same way, you know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've ever experienced being polite to someone you're not interested in to wean them off and then you're kind of like, wow, they're still texting.
Speaker 2: I think that subtle tea is exactly that.
Speaker 3: It's subtle, and you've got to be tuned in to clock it, or just a very like hyper aware, anxious kind of person who's like constantly doing pattern recognition and scanning the.
Speaker 1: Room and recognition literally because I.
Speaker 3: Could imagine, you know, I think about this when I watched Love Island, when from this bird's eye view of being a viewer, you're like, how do they not know?
Speaker 2: How can you?
Speaker 3: How can you not tell he's not keen? But when you're in when you're in the room cooking, when you're in the kitchen cooking.
Speaker 2: And you're like, wait, like there's a vibe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, you're both as charming and charismatic people having a conversation.
Speaker 1: That's what that looks like. Damn far out. I like to think that I wouldn't have to like use a friend excuse anymore, but I definitely don't think I'm above it, and I don't think I ever will be like, what, what's your friend excuse? Saying Oh, my god, my friend just called me. I need to pick up from the airport.
Speaker 2: Have you used that before?
Speaker 1: Not the airport specifically, but yeah, I've said, oh, my friend's really sick, she's having a break My favorite is always my friend's having a breakdown.
Speaker 2: You don't even believe yourself you're saying it, Which friend do you have in mind? Are you like method acting a certain thing?
Speaker 1: Yes, every time Madison she needs me, she needs me, she needs me, So that's what i'd use. But Mickey told us that there is an app called Bad Date Rescue, and it like calls you or something. I think it's one of those apps that like makes your phone fake ring oh so you can be like, oh, I've got to go take a call. It's like the what's it called the like tiktoks? Have you seen his tiktoks? And the guy's like save this audio and he's like hate babe, and he's like an American guy, hate babe, Like when are you coming home? Oh, I'm going to be like out the front dah da da. I also read Hannah Ferguson's book Bite Back, and she talks about how in high school this like safety officer, as part of sex said, came to her like girl class and was telling them how to like protect themselves or went through all this self defense. And one of his things was like, don't install the security camera, just put a pair of really big shoes outside your door.
Speaker 2: Mmmm.
Speaker 1: I thought, given this interesting flex is very interesting. It's interesting. You need to cater on D A B or stream it on iHeartRadio