Speaker 1: Christ Christian O'Connell show, Jack Boast.
Speaker 2: What's the song that sums up your weekend?
Speaker 3: Well, let me take you back to Saturday night where we had our happy hour date night. It's something that started during isolation where we make cocktails. Take it in terms to make cocktails for each other and snacks every weekend. So it was my week weekend to make the cocktails. I made the Godfather, which is a never had one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really good.
Speaker 3: It's a Scotch whiskey with ameretto, which is an Italian liqueur.
Speaker 2: That's a heady combination.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well turned into a bit of a heady combination because we were enjoying the cocktails and I was making guacamole as our snack. Oh yeah, And I was telling.
Speaker 1: You, by the way, how do you make it guacamole? I made one yesterday followay a new recipe. It's the best one I've ever tasted. How do you make Oh?
Speaker 3: Mine was really good. Actually, I looked for a spicy guacamole recipe yep, because I wanted to achieve. I actually cut chilies up into it.
Speaker 1: Oh, this one had a little bit of chock onion in there.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: I had read on in your mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very nice and a little bit of line juice as well. We give it some tang.
Speaker 3: I think we're making from the same remp.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Sorry, let's pres play again on the story.
Speaker 3: I'm squishing up the avocados for guacamoli, and I'm telling Bianchor about the thing you talked about on Friday Show where you handed a Joy Division hoodie onto your daughter Lowess.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Joy Division an indie band from the eighties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was explaining how I once saw a not a documentary about Ian Curtis and Joy Division, but a movie remake of his life. And I mean he had a super sad life had he had epilepsy and he took his own life at twenty three.
Speaker 1: It was the lead singer of the band, and then the rest of the band went on to form New Order, which was instead It's a huge band in the British kind of rock and indie scene. But yeah, Ian Kurt's a lead singer. Yeah, took his life when he was only in his twenties. But yeah, I guess you're best know Joy Division from Love Will Terrorist Apart, which is an amazing song.
Speaker 2: One of the greatest love songs ever.
Speaker 3: So I put the song on so that we could listen to it, and we were talking about the band, and then she's reading from his Wikipedia page and we're learning more about them. So we go through their first album, and then we went through their second.
Speaker 2: Drinking and you're having strong drinks.
Speaker 3: And we're having strong drinks, and then all of a sudden, the mood has really changed.
Speaker 1: It's not I stay away from the top shelf a you know one of my life will stay away from the top shelf.
Speaker 2: It just doesn't doo many favors of stuff up there.
Speaker 3: So now we have the albums on repeat and we're into the second cocktail, and it's become a real somber It's a happy hours long gone, it's now. It's now somber affair.
Speaker 2: And I am.
Speaker 3: Texting you on Saturday night telling you, hey, we're really deeply listening to Joy Division and it's really connecting with us. And then you said, oh great, after that, try new Order, which we did, and then a few more cocktails go by, and go next, try Nick Cave into my Arms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a song. It's like a hymn. It's that beautiful sad song.
Speaker 3: So this is by the end of happy hour and picturing me on a bean bag in our living room with a cock tail in hand, deeply, deeply connecting with this nick Cave.
Speaker 2: Song into my Oh Lord, into my oh lor.
Speaker 3: You know those moments where you do just go like you're you're at a moment in time where a song just hits you so strongly, And this hit me I guess. I mean the whiskey probably helped, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Still you could have just as paused to go, look, let's let's put something else on now, and to cheer us up. But it's a there's it's a beautiful, beautiful song, but it's not your happy hours Saturday night song.
Speaker 3: It's not a happy hour Saturday night song.
Speaker 1: And then when did this move? It does something to you, It just changed your internal being this song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so but we had them, we had I guess you would call it a sad hour instead of happy hour.
Speaker 2: I'm really sorry for.
Speaker 1: Ruins your night, but there is there's a there's a melancholy is the the emotion about what I'm talking about here. It's an underrated one. There is when there's a beautiful sweetness to listening to sad song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love doing it.
Speaker 3: It's not like we had a bad night and it's not broken up. It's a very different thing and it's not a negative experience. But there is something about sitting in that sad, the.
Speaker 1: Heart opening songs. But once you really drop into this with Nick, where did you go next to you?
Speaker 2: Did you listen to more sad songs?
Speaker 3: We went back to join vision.
Speaker 2: Now? And then what happened? Did you too?
Speaker 1: Did you have a nice and Because sometimes when my wife and if we're both your conspirats, so one of us is that it's a it's a tinder box. It can be a combustible. If we're getting on, it's fine, but if there's a slight just one degree in the atmosphere, it just you know, that's it.
Speaker 3: Because I was connected so heavily into the music, which I said, the anchor was telling me a story, but I was locked in on the music. Then we had a bit of a rebicked about the fact that I wasn't listening to her and and I mean, she'll kill me for saying this because I said that I understand, but she said, when I'm telling you a story, you're not listening. Just tell me you're not listening because I tell you the whole story, And he.
Speaker 2: Went, sorry, are you saying?
Speaker 1: Son't get out of this bean bag?
Speaker 2: It's like life. Sometimes you can't get out the bean bag of life.
Speaker 4: Christian Christian i'connell Christian o'connells Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes you catch yourself saying something which part of you knows isn't true, just to keep the conversation going.
Speaker 2: That just happened with Patsy.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, Well, we were chating about nick Cave and we were just talking about that beautiful song into my arms of his and you went, I went to school with him, Jack goes, Jack went really, and you went yeah, And then you went, I think he's dead.
Speaker 2: No one, no one has a story like that. And you go, if someone called in and produce a brad.
Speaker 1: Witness go on the line thinks he went to school in nick Cave, I go, we don't need time wasteff, don't need them on the air.
Speaker 2: Whereas, yeah, I think he's dead. About half a second, you.
Speaker 1: Knew you were lying, and you couldn't even live I'm not lying in three months and don't come back with a fake lies trying to impress us Jones.
Speaker 4: His dad was a teacher at one grat a high where I went, and I believe I believe he was Nick was in like year eleven or twelve, as I was kind of starting earlier because he's a bit older.
Speaker 1: True, you're a journalist. Facts truth, fake facts as that they gave us.
Speaker 3: Let's look at how are you happy to say?
Speaker 2: How old?
Speaker 4: I'm forty eight two?
Speaker 2: Oh, I couldn't go with an old shows one the radio.
Speaker 3: You'll see what year that he was there, Jack, he's sixty two, so he's fifteen years older than you.
Speaker 2: No, okay, so he wasn't there.
Speaker 3: He was there. Take a few year school with that cave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was in the year fifteen years ahead of me.
Speaker 3: He's repeating year twelve for the eight years.
Speaker 2: A really slow reader.
Speaker 4: The facts get in the way of a good story.
Speaker 2: Boy. I think it's that year nine kid in our class. Everyone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's well done.
Speaker 2: The only kid in year seven.
Speaker 1: He's got a fully formed beard in his school photos for three piece suits.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yeah, I went to school then. I think anyway, the news is coming up really soon. She thinks it will
Speaker 3: Be back to Christian O'Connell Show podcast