Speaker 1: The Driver's Show powered by in a midsoon Nano Taylor to Oil over a century of engineering excellence meets cutting edge nano scale technology.
Speaker 2: In a Driver's Show special.
Speaker 1: This this is the Paveley Report.
Speaker 2: So should we give just everyone in the room a few minutes just to hit record. We've got a lot of lawyers present, and I know.
Speaker 3: Fox Second transcribing this at the.
Speaker 2: Moment, Yes, Daniel, Sorry, obviously there's a multiple members of our legal team here. Toadfish from Neighbors, thanks for coming along, the bald guy from Law and Order, cheers, Buddy, the lady from Channel nine. Ye, thanks for that, a lady from Channel just Channel nine.
Speaker 4: So today we're going to be chatting by D Shark and the controversy along with the other plug in hybrid uts that are coming.
Speaker 2: So now a bit of backstory, right, So BYD released their Shark six. There's a lot of excitement about this as we record right now, you can definitely place on an order. They are starting to deliver them, possibly to custom it up in Brisbane. As in the last week or so, Paul, you put out a video for your review and it's rubbed a few people the wrong way. Let's explain why.
Speaker 3: So the collective.
Speaker 4: Videos that we've now published have over a midion views, so they've been very widely watched. So backstory is, as the Shark was getting released, we contacted bid on a number of occasions asking if we could borrow one to drive at the proving ground because they had an influencer event at like an off road thing, and then they had another event at Broken Hill where they were doing the national launch.
Speaker 2: Yes, so the launch was a Broken Hill and what was this other influencer event.
Speaker 4: Some of the influencer event was that during the time of the launch, no beforehand, several weeks beforehand, so they kept telling me, no, you can't have a car because they're not eight R complied yet. And I was like, okay, fair enough. I guess that just means you can't drive it on a public road. And they're like, yep, can't do that. I was like fair enough.
Speaker 3: And anyway, so we're passionately waiting and as the event for Broken Hill was coming up, I.
Speaker 4: Started receiving countless emails from these influencer agencies asking me to attend and to produce video content and how much my.
Speaker 3: Fee would be and they are real Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: I get these a lot from different organizations, but this one was specifically for that launch. They talked about Broken Hill. They wanted to know what I was going to produce, how much I was going to charge, And I replied and said, no, I'm not interested. We already have someone going to cover it as a journalist. I'm not going to attend now as well, and I definitely am not going to accept money to attend.
Speaker 2: And so the journalists who attended to Big Clear was not paid, no, just by byd to be there. They were paid as a journalist from Currents.
Speaker 4: The same way that we would cover any other event and anyway. I then started getting more emails, and as the event drew near, I got an email with an offer for forty thousand dollars to attend this event, and I'm like, what the fuck is this? So I was like, all right, that's weird, and I replied again, and I'd replied like three or four times by this point. They kept coming from different people and different agencies.
Speaker 2: So before that email with the forty grands, did you get you did get offers of money to be there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were asking how much I wanted to charge so anyway, ignored all of those the event went ahead and didn't think anything of it. I then got in touch with someone senior at BYD who said, hey, we've got a car that we can give you. It's a pre production car and I said, no, dramas, let me know where I can pick it up. And they go, well, it's not registered and we don't have eight R compliance yet. And I'm like, okay, so what does that mean. They go, well, it needs to be transported there. So our expense car expense expense. I hired a tow truck and towed the car from Clayton where it was located, to.
Speaker 3: The proven ground.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, we got rained out that day so we couldn't film anything. So I towed the car back to some third party supply that BOID was doing business with, and one or two weeks later, when the car was available again, I again paid to have the car towed out to the proving ground and it was picked up, this time from another aftermarket company that was getting components for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, can I just say, can I pull you up on that? Let me press pause on what that actually is, because you're on your expense paying for that car to be transported after you use it to potentially a manufacturer fit.
Speaker 3: Out company, very company of something.
Speaker 2: It's obviously doing work on this car, and that was only your dime. Yeah, which interesting.
Speaker 4: The car had to go somewhere, so I would have had to pay to either take it back to wherever their place is.
Speaker 3: Good point, but I was like a bit weird.
Speaker 4: But whatever, I'll just do it. So anyway, when we shot the content, the outcome of it was I thought the car was fantastic, excellent value for money, great tech, and I was only limited to being able to drive it at the proving ground. So we did our off road review and discovered that it wasn't able to climb our fairly basic hill climb on our very like soft off road course, which is what we call it.
Speaker 3: It's like a light off road thing.
Speaker 4: And it really struggled with rotating its wheels going up the hill. And I thought that perhaps it could be talk limited, or perhaps the traction control wasn't quite advanced. Tried a number of different modes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was going to say, you did try the I do laugh at the different modes. Sand. What is it like? Muddy land? Yeah, muddy land? Sand Land Kyle Candy Land.
Speaker 4: So tried, tried the different modes and didn't really have much success, and I was like, Yep, no dramas. The next day we filmed more content, this time a towing video, and when we did towing with the vehicle hooked up to the trailer dine, we ended up getting to the point where we had drained the batter to the point where it had reached its reserve limit. And one of the things people don't really understand with plug in hybrids. If you drive an outland a plug in hybrid, when it says the battery is empty, the battery isn't actually empty. It's probably got between zero and twenty percent of capacity still remaining in there, and it needs to have that capacity because a lot of these plug in hybrids, and the shark especially needs electricity to move from a standing start that the internal combustion engine cannot drive those wheels directly until it's up to a certain speed.
Speaker 2: So those internal combustion engines they kind of act like generators to feed the battery.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in the case of the shark, it does so it's basically charging the battery and its speeds of above seventy k's an hour, it can directly drive the front axle. So when we were towing with the trailer dine set at three killer utons, which is what we do for every car that we test with that trailer dine, we found that when the battery got down to that reserve started slowing from one hundred k's an hour down to about seventy and no matter how hard you hit the throttle wouldn't go any faster than seventy. It was basically fully exhausted and that was as fast as it was going to go. So anyway, we published all these videos and then we published follow up videos about why we.
Speaker 3: Thought perhaps the thing wasn't working.
Speaker 4: Thinking that it could be software related or potentially it was talk limited because this vehicle doesn't have any stepped gears, so you are limited to the amount of talk that you can produce from those motors, and when you're on an incline and you have like the horizontal force of gravity acting against the car, it is limited in terms of where it can go. So anyway, we published follow up videos and basically after those follow up videos, a number of funny things happened. So our mate Kudoaks, who's been on the show before. He published some hilarious videos of his own where he was quite critical of the stuff that I had deduced, and he came up with some ghetto maths on why he pled testing was irrelevant.
Speaker 3: Now I did.
Speaker 4: A couple of weeks later, I stumbled across these videos. Someone sent them to me, and I was like, oh, okay, that's interesting, and I'm like, look, if I'm wrong, happy to be wrong, happy to say yep, did a bad thing, We'll fix it. And anyway, I started doing the mats on my own because both John and I have engineering degrees, and we both are obviously great engineers, not working in engineering and haven't worked in engineering.
Speaker 2: For He's mostly great, You are not amazing.
Speaker 4: So anyway, I started doing all the mats and I'm like, he's completely muffed all of this stuff up. I think that's the way that he's viewed the problem is wrong, and as a result, he's out by factor about one hundred percent based on what I could tell. So I actually met up with him today. We shot a couple of videos. So they're going to go live. Perhaps they've already gone live, I don't know, But go to the Auto Expert channel, there's one on his and then there's going to be one on the Car Expert channel, so check those out in the interim as well. What had happened was Bid went back to the proving ground and it's funny, the proven ground is actually where they shot the commercial for the Bid Shark.
Speaker 2: So can you read this proven ground that you go to because I always thought that you guys just had access to it whenever you would be renting it or something, so obviously can be rented by anyone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so when we're there, we're typically sharing it with other brands and other people testing new cars and whatever. But then if they're shooting a commercial, they'll basically book the place out and then shoot like a proper commercial. And the funniest part is that in the commercial it actually traverses the hill, but it goes down the hill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, like had you have tried to turn around and given that again. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So anyway, BYD came back to the proving ground and I suspect it was with revised software and they sent a video to the bid Owners group that showed Facebook vehicle going up the hill without any problems or like a little bit of wheel slip.
Speaker 3: But no problems.
Speaker 2: We presume it's it's BYD he sent that face.
Speaker 4: I think they mentioned the cause, so anyway, what they neglected to mention, And I don't know whether it was BID that requested this, It wasn't us, And as far as I could tell, no one had u the proving ground since we were there with the shark. We came back two weeks later to review the Prato with the Prato Kakadu, and I thought it was really odd at that point BID hadn't sent the video to the owners group. We got there and I'm like, something has changed here, and they had basically compacted the hill and put like a really hard compound on it, which meant that when I drove up it in the Prado, it was literally like just going up a driveway. It had no wheel slip. It just went up without any problems. And I'm like, well, this is going to look terrible on video because we went from having quite a struggle on the hill because it was quite rutted and really good vision to now having this hill that you could probably walk up. And so I basically dug the hill open again with the Prato so that it looked impressive on video and anyway went on with life. Then when Bid dropped that video, I'm like, hold up a second, that's a totally different hill to the one that we tested on. And I thought, look, if you have changed the software, great, it means it'll go up there without problems. And I'm going to go back and test it at some point. But if you have asked them to compact the hill, what is the purpose of what you're doing? You know, it's is it to discredit me? Or is it that I don't understand it to be honest? And maybe and this is the other thing, maybe they didn't ask for it to be done. Maybe this was just something that they've decided to do. Maybe I hadn't done it for since we've been using it for two or three years.
Speaker 3: So that's why I thought it was just a little bit weird.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I mean it could take somebody going, can you guys maintain the grounds of this a little bit? Like, what the what the fuck is going on? This car is capable of doing such things, but can you at least like, don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know what happened.
Speaker 4: So anyway, so I have said already that I would love to go take the car back again with production software and test it all one more time.
Speaker 2: It's presumably been given several updates.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the other thing just very quickly. That really annoyed me. When we did our review, I mentioned the stuff about all the emails I received on influences in the review. Now, I only did that because we were getting, I reckon three or four comments a day from people going, where's your shark review? Are you getting paid by Toyota? Are you getting paid by Ford to not review it? Are you getting paid by blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, for fox.
Speaker 4: Sake, we're not reviewing it because they haven't given us a car. I could just materialize a car. So in the video, I said, hey, the reason we hadn't reviewed it is because I didn't want to go to Broken Hill, to some curated place that they've set up to make the car look good.
Speaker 2: But also, you did send a journalist there, yeah, two Broken Hill, and they would have got car content out of that and somewhat of a review anyway. But I guess they just wanted to see your typical review on it.
Speaker 4: And from a video standpoint, it is our rule to just review cars at the proving ground.
Speaker 3: That way, they're all the same.
Speaker 4: I don't want to go to some different location every time to have conditions I don't know.
Speaker 2: So I mentioned also that would create bias as well.
Speaker 4: Ye, so I mentioned in that video about being off at all this money, and that given the volume of people that attended, I hadn't noticed anyone except one outlet, which was car Source, which is a YouTube channel. They were paid to be there.
Speaker 2: And then come to the party and told everyone they the thing they said in their thing that it's sponsored.
Speaker 4: Yep, And look, if you choose to believe what they say, great, I wouldn't if you're paid to be there. I mean, of course you're going to say only great things. But the thing that annoyed me was that when I was told that because the cars don't have ADR complains, you can't drive them on a public road. Car Sales drove the car from Broken Hill to Adelaide on clearly public roads. Car Source drove the car on public roads. There's shots of them doing that on their own in the car. So that kind of annoyed me that I was misled with that information. So I basically had these people call me up the day after the review went live, chewing my ass out about these influencer things, claiming they knew nothing about it, and I'm like, I don't know if I believe that, but I mean.
Speaker 2: That could very well be the case. However, I will say, like the the influencer payment thing, would they have that sort of money to give the like there was a lot of people at that event. That's a lot of money to be spending on to get people down. I reckon, like, you fly generally with these press junkets. You fly people and you put them up in hotels, and a lot of these younger influencers just want to fucking want the content anyway, do you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I'm not the one sending the emails. So so yeah, that was that was the by d Shark. So yeah, it's it's an interesting thing because I'm just disappointed that it turned out the way that it did. We review every car the same and the funniest thing as well as I if I did have some inherent bias against we filmed drag race with my Raptor, wouldn't I just let the Raptor win the drag.
Speaker 3: Race and just go oh slower than a raptor. That's that done. You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It's just it's just a bit silly when you get fanboys involved because they're so wetted onto the product they won't take criticism.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, here's here's what I'll say. I think this audience is an audience that either love the Shark six or hate the Sharks. The Shark six, I think you're going to get people who go, oh, bloody, bloody EV looks like a shitty EV hybrid, bloody Chinese car. Like You'll get that crowd, and you'll also get families who go, wow, that's a really nice looking car. Paul said, it's got good tech. It does look really good. I love the stuff that's inside that. I love the fact that I can put my kids in the back of this and you know, we can go on adventures. Sixty thousand dollars. That is the big selling point of this car. Sixty thousand dollars, right, And you get you get people out in the as we sort of briefly spoken about. You get people out in the West or whatever who like put their money on something like this. They're going to be passionate about it.
Speaker 4: Look, and I said something like you know, ninety percent of people that buy this it will be perfect for Yeah, if you don't toe much and you don't go off road, yes much. Yes, this is going to be ideal because you can basically everything with it.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing too, people who do toe and people who do go off road will not buy this car automatically. They will not. They've got their things that they're going to buy.
Speaker 3: But they also shouldn't.
Speaker 4: The reason I say they shouldn't is because the other two vehicles in this segment and how inherently different their drive trains are. So GWM is about to launch the Cannon Alpha HI four dash T plug in Hybrid EV, which is basically a plug in hybrid electric version of the Cannon Alpha. That and the Ford Ranger plug in Hybrid are both fundamentally different in terms of the way they operate. So where the Shark has a generator and two electric motors that have no drive line between them, both the Cannon and the Ranger have an electric motor that sandwiched between the engine and the transmission. So the way that it works is your electric motor is able to turn independent of the engine if it needs to, so you can basically use that to drive the car. And in the case of the Cannon, al for it has an enormous battery something like thirty seven kilo whatde hours, which is bigger than the Shark, and almost three times the size of the Ranger, which has a pretty pathetically small battery in comparison. Now, the advantage of having the rest of your drive line being the same is that you have a gearbox, which means you can multiply talk. So fuck this knoto is going right through me. So the advantage of that is that with the Cannon or the Ranger, if you are making let's say four hundred meters of talk at the crank, you are basically able to multiply that through a transmission. You're able to multiply that through a low range transfer case, and finally a diff and in the case of a Ranger raptor because they publish this information, you can have a maximum crawl ratio of something like sixty to one, which is enormous, right, which in a Shark you can't because you have no reduction gear, you have no difflock, you have none of that. Whereas this GWM not only has a transmission, low range, has a front and rear diff lock, and it means you're going to be able to do some pretty seria off roading. When it comes to towing, you're going to be able to engine break, which you can't do in the Shark. So there are a lot of advantages to having these different types of drive lines. And in the case of the GWM, we're talking about over three hundred oh sorry, three hundred kilos of power seven hundred and fifty meters of talk has a two liter engine instead of one point five. The range is even bigger again with a two point three lead vehicle to load capability, and the big thing with the GWM three and a half tons towing, which again two and a half for the Shark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, looks good price range. I guess we're presuming it's going to be similar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I reckon.
Speaker 4: They'll need to have it around the price of a Shark for them to be competitive. Ford, I think is probably going to be twenty or thirty thousand dollars more, And I don't know who would bother buying that in comparison.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's a completely different product.
Speaker 4: Ford has an issue as well, is that they're making the vehicle in South Africa, which attracts a five percent import tariff. Oh so automatically you've got a more expensive proposition there.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the cannon right now.
Speaker 3: Not so cool, isn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Not so nice looking in the horse pissed yellow. But yeah, but man, it does look good. It does look good. Looks good on the inside to.
Speaker 3: Big screen all terrain, something looks pretty neat.
Speaker 2: Yeah that looks good. Yeah. The tech they are throwing in these cars now is yeah, it's wild. Yeah, it's wild. In closing, anything you want to say about the BYD Shark six, yeah, I think it's a great vehicle. So me too.
Speaker 4: You know, I think that most people that buy them will be perfectly happy with them. I just think that you should. And this is the same with any car ever is test drive it. Make sure it suits your needs. If you do need to toe, make sure that you try it out. Telling as well.
Speaker 2: That is one thing that I found difficult was I did try to organize a test drive through BYD and they weren't offering that.
Speaker 3: Have you noticed that I think they've started doing that.
Speaker 2: Okay, they've just started doing that. Well, yeah, I tried to do it myself. Hence way, I went to BYD Direct and they gave it to me nicely for the weekend. As you said, most people are going to be completely happy with this. If they've got it on order, they've got a right to be excited about. What I will say is I find it really peculiar that you still haven't been able to drive and what would you call it? The road going version?
Speaker 3: Look to be honest, I think that they're probably pretty pissed at.
Speaker 2: Me, But surely on that respect, wouldn't they kind of go, fuck, Paul's just published this out. We've got to get him. This is a software update. This is because of this, it's because of this. We've got to get him the right one. Now, Guys, like, let's not dick around, take a look at ourselves and go, how the hell did this happen? Why did someone give him a pre production car and let him put it under a stress test when clearly it wasn't meant to. Let's rectify it, face it head on and give you the road going car. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm happy to test it as well. So hopefully someone does get in touch at some point and then we can get on with things, and then.
Speaker 2: We can talk about other stuff, yeah apart from this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so anyway, Yeah, I thought people that enjoy that just a little short episode. But yeah, the ins and outs of the car industry, ain't he.
Speaker 2: The old bitchiness that goes on between you guys is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: So make sure you check out the video with kidoags as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to get kidoaks on. Actually it's for an appearance. Yes, thank you for listening to everyone. Please like rate review, contact at the drivershow dot com dot you also on Insta where we put a whole bunch of VIDs and big ups to our good mates that it Omitsu, makers of nanotailored oil.
Speaker 3: You've worked with ITMSU before at their launch event, right, I did?
Speaker 2: I did, mate, I went to their launch event. I am seated. Actually, your boy m Seeded hosted the whole thing, very nice, delicious Japanese restaurant. But I'm really impressed. I'm really impressed. These guys have been leaders in oil innovation for over a century. You know, they're the ones trusted by Toyota and Masda to deliver precision engineered oils straight from the factory, and now now they are bringing the same expertise to ossie drivers.
Speaker 3: What stood out to you the most.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot did actually, Pavla, thank you for asking that non prompted question, and it was their nanotailored oil, Which is why we're here, because this stuff is next level. And now they don't just make generic who haa products. No, no, not these guys. Every formula is designed with purpose. For example, let me tell you something. The IFG three, Oh, this stuff is perfect for city driving. This is what you want for city driving. This is your stop start traffic, the stuff that puts stress on your engine. But then there's the IFG seven this is the stuff for your beast pavlay the high performance vehicles. Seven layers of protection seven I sound a bit New Zealand seven layers of protection. Anyway, they've got nano cleansing tech. It stops oil breakdown and it even just sorts it in the harshest condition. So if you're driving a Japanese car, the IFG five, oh, that stuff is build for precision engineered engines. It's offering five layers of protection to keep your engine clean and running smoothly.
Speaker 3: So that sounds like a lot of attention to detail.
Speaker 2: Oh so much detail so much I nearly forgot it all. But the I OFG seven isn't just oil. Just know that, because it's like giving your engine a custom suit of armor, like a little massage as well. It doesn't just protect your engine, it optimizes performance. If you're into keeping your car in its absolute best nick possible, this is the oil you want, and now it's easy to get too. It is very easy. Are you ready for the longest website I've ever had to read?
Speaker 3: Out?
Speaker 2: Here we go au dot Inamitsu slash no no slash tailored slash oil dot Com. I said to it amits you as it. Guys, don't give me that. Let's just tell them that if they search out it AMIDSU Australia on the Googles, they'll find where they're going. You know what I'm saying. They'll shit it straight to it or no fast top tier oil wherever you are.
Speaker 4: Look if it's good enough for manufacturers like Toyota and mazdav and it sounds.
Speaker 3: Good enough for me.
Speaker 2: Hmmmm exactly. You know, with it AMIDSU, you're getting oil that's designed to handle whatever you throw at it. They've been trusted for the best part of over one hundred years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, I Amitsu taking you beyond engine protection to real driving excitement.
Speaker 2: I think I could read that better. You ready, it Omitsu taking you beyond engine protection to real driving excitement? Was that good?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Thanks for tuning in to the Drivers Show.
Speaker 1: Proudly sponsored by Itamitsu Nanotailored Oil experience, the power of precision, and over one hundred years of engineering expertise. Want to know more search it Amitsu Nanotailored Oil.
Speaker 2: Are you today