Speaker 1: I Heeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app. So, like I was saying, we had these Christmas hams, and last week it seemed like this would be a nice way to say hello. It feels like, you know, I'm moving into a new neighborhood and going around all the local neighbors saying hello, introducing myself and I've got a gift for you before Christmas, okay.
Speaker 1: And so now we had it.
Speaker 2: This week everything changed and it says we're all where we can't be doing that, it's not right. But look, we've got these Christmas hams. Why do we give them to the first responders if they'd like them. So yesterday a lovely man on the show called Josh You went down to Bondi You went to the first responders to see if they wanted these just very small gifts to say we see you and thank you for your service.
Speaker 1: So what was that like?
Speaker 3: It was a really special moment and one that I didn't know was going to be as special as it was. But as I went down to Tema Emma Surf Life Saving Club, which is now their sort of main meeting point to sort of connect, to do debriefs, and so I knew I was kind of going to a main point for them, and I didn't even know how to enter him. Was it the front door, was it the back door? How do you enter a stiff life saving club?
Speaker 1: And do you want to get in the way?
Speaker 2: They're also an act of life saving club and he don't want to be an inconvenienced. But we wanted to go down and say thank you. I'm not just us on the team here, but everyone in Sydney absolutely.
Speaker 3: And I met a gentleman by the name of Ben there and he was sort of working out already, you know, shirt off, ready to go and jump in the water, and he met me with so much warmth and straight away he was just taken by the gesture and nothing more than just a big thank you. And he told me straight away that I needed to speak with a couple of other people, and one was a man named Rory, who actually on Sunday was there when it was all happening, In all the chaos, his first instinct was to actually run towards the water and to save people.
Speaker 1: And it truly and this.
Speaker 2: Is because obviously people were trying to find a safe refuge in the water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people freaking out, not knowing what to do, and it just really makes it very very real in that moment to hear firsthand just how brave, how incredibly.
Speaker 1: Brave, and the young kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and to not think of yourself and it's just a lovely thing to be able to give them something. And yeah, I think even now it's it's just to your point there, just being able to say a hello to people and really almost just that human element that people are there and people are being brave. It's quite a special thing to actually hear it firsthand.
Speaker 1: What was it like to go down a bond II.
Speaker 3: It's very silent. It's almost like the air and like time is like standing still, like everything's slower down.
Speaker 1: There by sacred ground now, isn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Unwittingly it has, you know, when you sent me your photo of it yesterday, already felt just want to photo the silence of it, because actually going to Bond that is not a place of silence. Normally, it's a place of noise, chaos, laughter, people meeting up, you know, life happening there vividly and in all the stuff I've seen. It's very very quiet. Obviously, it's just so strikingly different.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and you know, nobody speaking, but then there is sort of communication with the prayers and the loves and the foot.
Speaker 2: Is an act of silent respect, isn't it that? Actually they don't need the words. The silence is are the words. And so you went also to other first responders. You went to the police.
Speaker 3: Yeah, went to Bondo police station and I was wondering if they can accept it, like is it in their company policy?
Speaker 2: Again, you've been told by the ambulance staff couldn't accept them. They're not allowed to accept gifts, which I find extraordinary.
Speaker 1: I think that's a real shame.
Speaker 2: So anyway, you went to the police station and how are they Yeah, they grabbed those hands off the.
Speaker 1: Fish were the hams.
Speaker 3: They had to get clear and they asked. I spoke with a gentleman named Andrew and he goes, I've just got to check check with my sergeant. And he went away and came back and came back with the biggest smile.
Speaker 1: On his face.
Speaker 2: What else is that sergeant going to say? Standing in at ten seconds to make it at the chip? How many ams do you reckon, it's gone, follow him, see where he goes, go back to his face, get more Christmas hands.
Speaker 1: Who doesn't love a Christmas hand? Right, So they chut the hams. They did great, they did.
Speaker 3: And then as I was leaving it really it's stopped me because I was leaving and there was a whole group of girls walking in all holding flowers and they were just going to go the desk after me and give flowers to the police. Yeah, it's just so lovely because it's like those are the kindness and cares that you maybe don't see, and to see it in person was it was very.
Speaker 1: Special, brilliant, lovely.
Speaker 2: If there's anyone else you think we need to hear about or we should be talking to, please let me know.