Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by Quantus, the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again this season, Quantus is proud to be flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. Hello, well, welcome to The Unplayable Podcast. It's been a big week in cricket. My name is josh Ona Finger, Caine Richardson's here as always and well we've got a couple of domestic finals to look forward to now with the Sheffield Shield and the WNCL final set.
Speaker 2: It's coming to the end of the cricket season.
Speaker 3: Mate, it is. We've said for a few weeks it's a trophy season. We've had one given out in the past week, have winced into our last pod, so yeah, that starts to get the flavor of this month going. So yeah, it's one of those times a year where most teams are disappointed and probably happy the seasons are finishing, but also for a couple of lucky teams they've got something to play for now on this next week. So always an exciting time of the year it is.
Speaker 1: And lots of different states represented as well.
Speaker 2: This season.
Speaker 1: We had obviously New South Wales and Tasmania in that One Day Cup final which New South Wales one Victoria South Australia and in the Sheffield Shield Final, and New South Wales and Queensland in the WNCL finals, so lots to look forward to.
Speaker 2: Will preview those finals as well.
Speaker 1: We've also got Michael Bevin an interview coming up with the great domestic and international cricketer.
Speaker 2: He did it all in the Bevo and he's coming up very shortly.
Speaker 3: He did it suits the theme perfectly, Josh. So you put in these it's no accident when you put these shows together, the quality of guests, you get to supplement the topic conversation that we have for the rest of the program. But do we want a weekly winner.
Speaker 2: I think we should get into the weekly We should.
Speaker 3: It's one again the category that we're talking about, people who win. We're talking about trophies, we're talking about winning. So weekly winner, I'm going to give mine to Greg Shippin, who's waken up today. As you know, he's no longer a coach of New South Wales the Sydney Six's. He's waking up probably feeling pretty good, you know, he's a free man. He can do whatever he wants today. He doesn't have to organize a training session or return any calls to some guys who maybe have him in picked. So end of his well, I assume he's not going to coach next season at any I mean he's available. But what a career tas he for eleven seasons to begin he went to Victoria, his home state. Four Shefford Shield titles there, a One Day Cup and four Big Bash Old Big Bash titles. With Victoria, he goes to the Way. He's the inaugural coach to the Melbourne Stars. Unfortunately they've well, no one's managed to win a trophy for the Modern Stars fortunately unfortunately. And then the Sydney Sixers for eleven seasons, two trophies. He was an IPL coach, and then he finishes his career at Cricket New South Wales with a One Day Cup over I think it was three or four seasons there, So we're talking he's well over ten domestic trophies, isn't it for someone of that that career? So to him weekly win well deserved. You can have a beer tonight and maybe reflect on all that success that he's had over the journey, but also his tentacles as a coach of you know, the people that have grown up playing under him are now head coaches themselves. And Andrew McDonald been probably the highest profile one of those. So whether or not he continues on as a coach, his proteges are now moving up through the ranks, aren't they. So his impact on Australian cricket will live on.
Speaker 1: And he went into coaching pretty quickly after his playing career for Tasmania, believe, similar to Adam Bogis actually, so maybe we're seeing a bit of a pattern there. And yeah, Shippy was also involved in I think maybe four losing Big Bash finals as well, so not far off, you know, having an even wider trophy cabinet there.
Speaker 3: It could have been double almost, which is unheard of. So yeah, an almost unrivaled coaching career. But as I said, his legacy will live on through you know, the Andrew McDonald's cam Whites that's been David Hussey has been a Big Bash coach over the year, Brad Hodge's coach throughout the world as well, so that that powerful Victorian team that he was the mastermind of, you know, you're seeing that impact of that team and his work kind of filtering through international but also sorry domestic, but also international cricket.
Speaker 1: Now, when you were talking about him having to tell players they weren't picked.
Speaker 2: Were you're referring to yourself at the Sydney sixes or.
Speaker 3: No, he didn't need to tell. I actually went to him and said, just don't even worry about it. I'll just sit over here in the corner and pretend I'm not here.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: It's funny you've gone with shupy few weekly winner because we haven't. We never talked about what each other's weekly winners are because we like an element of surprise. Yes, and I've gone with Brad Hadden for this.
Speaker 3: OK.
Speaker 1: Who's going to replace Greg Schifford as New South Wales coach. He's been assistant at Punjab and the Ricky Ponting. It's also did a stint with the sun Rises hydir Bad and obviously he captain New South Wales and I think he were in Australia for a couple of games. Lots of leadership experience. Now gets his first crack as a head coach. He's going to take over the Blues. No One elsn't been made so far on the Sixers or the Thunders of vacancies as well because Trevor Bayless is no longer coach over there at the Thunder.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's exciting times for New South Wales.
Speaker 1: A whole stack of new assistant coaches as well coming in, so Haddam's really going to get a chance to make his own mark on this squad.
Speaker 3: Well, it is great. You don't typically see those bigger names that have you know, storied international careers go back to domestic coaching. It's normally they're looking for the top jobs, aren't they. So to get him back to domestic ranks is a great coupe for domestic cricket. I guess you know you just said Adam Boges his name before, but he's actually one of those guys who's filtering out of domestic cricket. Now he'll stay in the Big Bash, but won't be around the Shield and the One Day Cup. So he grab someone of Brad Hadden and have him back around the domestic scenes. Such a big thing for New South Wales. So yeah, bit of an unknown how will go? It's one of those things I know, I know from being a player, your assistant coaches. It looks like with the best job in the world, your mates with the players, you've got your batters or your bowlers that you look after. You don't have to worry about selection or any of that. When there's tough calls to be made. You can always just be the guy that puts your arm around the players. But when you're a head coach, all of that responsibility all of a sudden comes with you. So I'm sure he's prepared for all of those situations, but it is obviously a much more stressful job than you know, just been the old bowling coach.
Speaker 1: You would have played a bit against How didn't I guess through the Big Bash year's end of his career started your career. He always looked like a very fiery individual on the field.
Speaker 2: Is that fair to say?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Competitive, fiery. I think my first kind of half a dozen games dozen games for Australe with him keeping as well, and he was a senior member of the team, so I remember team meetings vividly. You know, he's input in those. In those, you know, I was wow, Yeah, like how we would talk about the opposition there, wacknesses and stuff just the depth he would go into it, so yeah, no doubt he'll bring that to New southwast.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get into this chat with Michael Bevin. I was able to get on a call with him. It's during the rain delay, the very long four hour rain delay before the One Day Cup final last week, so that's what he's talking about when he's talking about Bludstone Arena looking very bleak and rainy. But great to chat with him about the finisher nickname. Lots of amazing finishes in the One Day Cup and Frustralia, but also taking a big bag of wickets in a Test match. So here he is, Michael Bevan, the finisher.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: After last year Henry Thornton won the inallural Michael Bevin Medal for the best on ground in the men's final of the One Day Cup. We're now joined by the man that the medal is named after, Michael Bevan. Welcome to the Unplayable podcast. How's it all going for you down there in Tasmania today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks for having me on. Unfortunately the news is not that great from down here. It's been a lot of rain throughout the course of the day and then obviously there needs to get underway very shortly otherwise there'll be no play. Although having just said that, like I'm looking out at the ground now, obviously got great views over belly Vole and they're just sort of pulling the stakes out now and it's very light. So yeah, look, there is an outside chance that there'll be a game on tonight if there's no further rain from this point in time.
Speaker 2: Fingers crossed.
Speaker 1: Now the One Day Cup Final, it's a game that you had a lot of success in over the years. Nine finals you played in, five wins and five hundred and something runs. Are there any particular finals that stand out when you cast your mind back to all those matches that you played in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, I didn't even I didn't even realize I've been in that many finals, to be fair, which is nice to know or recall, So thanks for that. But yeah, look, the two that probably stand out for me, I think there was It was one of the earlier finals that I was in against Victoria. I'm pretty sure Dean Jones was around, Baron Berry was keeping.
Speaker 5: Flemma was bowling. He was also in the team, and.
Speaker 4: Like back then in the One Day competition, there wasn't a lot of not a lot of people turned up and on this particular occasion, I think we've got about twelve thousand to the seg for the one day Fine. So it was played in front of a such a really nice atmosphere and.
Speaker 5: It went down to the wire and so too close. Too close.
Speaker 4: Again, I tended to play that way and on this particular occasion, yeah, I think we got home in the last over or something like that. It was a pretty low scoring match and a difficult wicket.
Speaker 5: And then there was a there was a one day final against.
Speaker 4: Wa over and Earth in early two thousands or something like that. Yeah, look to WA we batted you know, I think we batted second, and you know, there was we were chasing a big score and I ended up scoring one hundred.
Speaker 5: But I remember there was a little bit.
Speaker 4: Of pressure on prior to the match, a lot of talk that they were going to target me, and so to get a big score in a you know, particularly over and perch, which is always a little bit tricky to play. That was another good memory in terms of terms of the one day one day final for me, those two matches probably stand out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I'm glad to mention those because I had a look at both of those before we came on, and that one against Victoria, you're only twenty two years old. Have you scored sixty four not out in that low in that small chase, as you said, pretty good Victorian attack there as well. James Sutherland, Tony Dotamaide, Simon O'Donnell, and Damian Fleming Bold that last over, he touched on, do you feel like this innings was a bit of a maybe a seminal moment for you, a coming of age as such, or sort of made you establish yourself on the national stage.
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 4: So. I mean, you know, you always break it up into one day game and you know the four day game, and you know, so i'd sort of announced or arrived earlier than that for the longer version, you know, and.
Speaker 5: From my perspective at least from the one day game.
Speaker 4: In tight games, I'd always really had the ability, I think, to take it down to the wire. And so look, it might have been for other people or people that were watching it, but not necessarily for me, I guess. But yeah, I think that's sort of coincide twenty two that sort of coincided with a good run I would have had in twenty twenty one maybe for New South Wales, and so yeah, I guess it's just those steaks on top of stakes and as you're establishing yourself as a player and obviously game for slightly higher on us. So yeah, it was obviously a pretty important match from that perspective.
Speaker 2: And you said that you generally tended to take it late. Was that a deliberate tactic by you to take it to the last over of the match? We always hear in cricket these days about batting deep and taking it deep. Was that sort of your philosophy as well in those high pressure run chases.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: I think one of the reasons for that was because I like to minimize risk and make sure and just have certain bowlers to target. And when you sort of have plans and you have certain bowlers to take it, you can't really.
Speaker 5: Determine when they're going to.
Speaker 4: Come on, if that makes sense, And so quite often those bowlers that you end up targeting, you know, can quite quite often be towards the end of the innings, you know, because there's always that sort of match up between strengths and weaknesses and trying to find bowlers that make it difficult to score, et cetera, et cetera. So yeah, look, it always ended up being that way. But I wouldn't say that I went out with a view to taking it deep. You know, It's just it's sort of presented or played out that way, and it seemed natural, normal, And yeah, it seemed like the appropriate sort of strategy in most circumstances.
Speaker 1: And then you're obviously given the tagline the Finisher. I'm not sure if you like that tag or you dislike that tag, but it certainly stuck. And do you remember when it first did stick and when that sort of name came about.
Speaker 4: Look, it must have been late late nineties, maybe early two thousands. I think it came from the Indian cricket public, I think, or maybe the media in India. So yeah, look, I mean obviously I liked it. I created a sort of a unique role there, and again it was just natural to me. I didn't go out to create the role, but it just happened and I found my spot, and so.
Speaker 5: Like, it was good.
Speaker 4: It was nice to know that that, you know, I created something worthy of a tag or something different at least. But then you know, I look like, if I'm being really brutally honest, I would say the last couple of years of my career, you know, it also became a bit of a burden to bear in the sense that you know, there's always that pressure to finish the match and get a result, I guess.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was nice, but it came with it with it's yeah, the you know, a few tricky.
Speaker 1: Moments well just on pressure, because I mean watching back the highlights now these days, it never looked like you were under the pump or lost your call in any stage. Was that just what it looked like from the exterior. What was actually going on inside? Were you feeling the heat or were you someone who was when you're in the moment very cool and calm?
Speaker 4: Yeah, look mostly calm until you know, everyone has their pressure points in terms of run rates. So for me, you know, it was probably six and over to go with fifteen, it was probably seven and runs it over to go with five to ten, And so as soon as it got to that stage, yeah, I started to think, right, well, okay, so it's now.
Speaker 5: Do or die. You've got to bring it down.
Speaker 4: And so I always had those sort of levels in terms of pressure on the match, like I was either called in when the team was deep in trouble or I didn't get a bat, And so when the team's actually in trouble, like most people are expecting you to lose the match, there's no real pressure.
Speaker 5: You don't put a lot of pressure on.
Speaker 4: Yourself because it is a really tricky situation and difficult, and so quite often I find that I'd go out into the middle and you know, you know, when we were struggling and there was no pressure, or at least I didn't put any pressure on myself, then you know, you take it a bit deeper, and then I think, you know, when you were a chance of winning the match was when I started to get a bit nervous again, or the nerves would start to creep up again because you had something to lose.
Speaker 5: And so for me, it's sort of ebbed and flowed.
Speaker 4: It went from no pressure to okay, we can win now a little bit of pressure, and then the last couple of overs are right on dial in on what I have to do to win the match here, and so you go back to then focusing on you know what it is you have to do, so a bit a bit of everything at times.
Speaker 2: That's fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as you touched on you did certainly cove out a niche for yourself. But were there any players that you did sort of model your game on as you were coming through the ranks?
Speaker 5: Not not really.
Speaker 4: I mean like I'm down here, you know, for the Dean Jones Cup to present the Michael Bevan Medal and you know the guy that you know, I you know, I guess I thought extremely highly of him one day. Cricket was Dean Jones at the time in terms of the way he played, and you know, he was probably the first Australian player I know was he was at least one of them too, to change the way it had been played and to put the pressure back on the ball. But of course he did it from you number batting at number three, and so so look.
Speaker 5: I've got to be honest, I didn't.
Speaker 4: My role wasn't around when I began my career, Like no one had played that, and I sort of carved that out and made it my own and it was different, it was unique, but it was natural to me. So I didn't plan on it or I didn't watch other people thinking right, well, you know, if I played this way or I do this way, then I'll get a good result. It was just, you know, it was sort of analysis, it was feel. It was a combination of, look, I know what I can do, and you know, in the past one day cricket, batting at the back end was a bit of a slog fest, you know, and it was viewed as that, whereas I was a little bit more calculating and clinical about it.
Speaker 5: And that was just really to do with my personality.
Speaker 4: And the other thing that I would also say is that I got fortunate in the sense that I it was the role felt natural to me. I felt a level of responsibility as well. And so when you're in cricket, you know, when you're looking for batsman and finding where they that best, it sort of has to be authentic andtrinsic to.
Speaker 5: How they feel about the role.
Speaker 4: And so for me, playing that role felt completely comfortable knowing that you know, I could win, Like you know, I was at the pointy end of winning or losing a match, but of course, you know, all throughout the.
Speaker 5: Match, every player had that same opportunity.
Speaker 4: It was just because of that snapshot and moment in time where it fell down to me. But yeah, so no, I didn't really, I didn't really have anyone. Of course, I had heroes and guys I admire, but no one for that specific role.
Speaker 5: If that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does, it does.
Speaker 1: And as you said, you're coming to us from Valery Voval, where you enjoyed some success of your own, certainly in the latter part of your career. Looking back at that two thousand and four season when you made the move south, I mean the runs just flowed in all formats, eight cent in the Shield and plenty of runs in the One Day Cup. Why do you think it clicked for you when you made the move south?
Speaker 4: You know, I thought it was time for a change, and with that a change of approach in terms of playing. And I think at that point in time, I kind of realized, you know, my Australian career was done and dusted, even though I had overtures to try and make those two thousand and seven World Cup, I think, and I was still probably playing well enough to make it, but Australia had such a good team by then that it was tough to get back in. So I think one of the things that you do do is reflect on your career in terms of what you've achieved, what haven't you achieved? You know?
Speaker 5: And you know, is there anything that I could have done differently?
Speaker 4: It probably would have helped if I had have thought about those things throughout my career more often, and I did earlier. But for me, it was at that point in time I thought, Okay, well, how would I play now I'm probably not aim to play for.
Speaker 5: Australia, Or how would I play you know, without fear?
Speaker 4: Or you know, what haven't I on in terms of my approach that I can implement when I now I'm down in Tasmania. And so I sort of did all those things, and I had a sort of a lot of mental queues and things that I that I wanted to implement and insert into my game. And for that first year it just sort of really really worked. It wasn't really a lot about the cricket side of things. That was more just me allowing myself to let go, to let my reactions take over, probably to be a little bit more confident and carefree that I'd been in my previous parts of my career. And so yeah, when it all added up, I sort of got it right. And yeah, there were certain reasons why it really worked and it was a really enjoyable season of course, and then it was the one day comp.
Speaker 5: You know, which was which was very satisfying as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think what's Tassi's first winning thirty something years and you obviously integral helped orchestrate that saw that the Tasmanian community to get around the Herbert Hurricanes last year. Was it a similar sort of vibe when the draught was broken for the Tigers?
Speaker 4: Look, it's hard to say, because I'd come from a sort of a large state with you know, quite a lot of trophies in the cabinet and a kind of a slightly different attitude and you know, and so you know, I was Canbra born and based cricketer to begin with at the start of my career, and you know, there was a touch of Canberra about Tasmania in terms of just the minnows.
Speaker 5: And the smaller and you know, always having to fight and core to.
Speaker 4: Win matches and let alone competitions, and so you know, it was it was really interesting for me that first season in terms of the headspace everyone was at and how they played their cricket.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm not so sure from a like.
Speaker 4: A you know, a fan perspective or an administrative perspective, but a player perspective. It was really interesting to see, you know, some of the changes that happened during that time and obviously being a part of that as well. So it was it was like it was an enjoyable, interesting season for me.
Speaker 1: It would be remiss with me if I didn't ask you about some of your exploits for Australia as well. Of course, everybody loves to rewatch and talk about that New Year's Day innings. Is that the highlight of your career or are there other particular knocks or innings that sort of surpassed that.
Speaker 5: Perhaps, Look, it's one of them.
Speaker 4: That was what I was known for, you know, and it sort of brought me to the to the one day stage and the one day team, and so I always always cherish and remember what that meant in terms of pound for pound, in terms of the quality of the innings.
Speaker 5: Probably wasn't my favorite innings, you know.
Speaker 4: I can think of a couple of innings that were, you know, more important to me. There was a match in Melbourne early in two thousand, I think we were against New Zealand. I ended up scoring one hundred of one hundred balls, and we needed to win that match to make the final, and we'd never.
Speaker 5: Not made the final for such a lot for maybe ever, and and.
Speaker 4: We were I don't know, I look on you know, honestly, I can't even remember what we were when we were six.
Speaker 2: For Oh I've looked at up Michael six for eighty two, chasing two forty six to.
Speaker 5: Forty six, so exactly.
Speaker 4: And so that was that was a favorite because there were a lot of runs to score, not many wickets down, and it was a pressure situation. So that was probably one of my favorites. And I also sort of recall walking off that game and coming through the stands and you know, just sort of seeing the sort of the my teammates faces in terms of what I'd helped, you know, achieve. You know, it sort of resonated really strongly and made me feel pretty pretty good inside, you know. And there was a there was a well, there was a there was a series in South Africa where again they scored close to three hundred or two ninety, and that they were big scores back then and not you know, and again we lost a couple of early wickets.
Speaker 5: But they had a good attack and again from memory.
Speaker 4: I got one hundred off one hundred and helped manufacture a win you know there and then you know, obviously the West Indies ninety ninety six West Indies quarter final semi final against the West Indies were four point fifteen and it was just survival. So I had quite a Yeah, so I had quite quite quite a number of games that I thought, well, you know, there's probably more pressure on, you know than the last last ball.
Speaker 5: Win in Sydney News Day.
Speaker 4: So but it's like it's top five, Yes, but I reckon there's three or four innings that I probably probably think more highly off he.
Speaker 1: And I guess there was also that World Cup match against England in Port Elizabeth. You and Andy Bickle again combined to get Australia over the line and again another high stakes match.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just relied on Andy. Really. He was. He was the man.
Speaker 4: He was a he was a great sort of you know, bowling all around it to have at decrease, he was Yeah, he had nerves as steel, high levels of confidence.
Speaker 5: And you know, I guess one of my one of the parts to.
Speaker 4: My role is batting with lower and just kind of get understanding and getting a feel for what they're capable of, how to approach them, and you know, and yeah, and he was definitely one of those guys who just let him roll and roll with it because he thrived and there was nothing I was going to say that that would would help him switch on or or believe that he wasn't going to win the match.
Speaker 5: And so, yeah, yeah, that was a great series.
Speaker 4: Obviously, we performed really well, and we had a couple of tough, difficult matches on that wicket where it was just popping and bouncing and it was hard to get the spinners away, and you know, so there was a couple of from memory like that two thousand and three World Cup with minus warning, but we'd sort of progressed as a team there that we were just kind of good enough that no one really worried that warning was missing, and we didn't really ever feel that we weren't going to win the World Cup, even though, as you said, there was a couple of tricky matches in Port Elizabeth, it could have gone either way, so that they were pretty fond memories. And also then there was I mean, I think the favorite tournament for me was the ninety nine World Cup, just quite simply because we we hadn't really become a one day powerhouse by then, we just started.
Speaker 5: That was the beginning of it, and.
Speaker 4: We were kind of faced with because of a poor start and the way that I think it was the super sixth tournament from a memory that they had to you know, we lost a couple of early ones, and then we had to we had to win seven in a row. And at that point in time, I'd only ever played in an Australia one Day team that won three matches in a row, So to win seven in a row in a World Cup was quite amazing feeling. And I think the real the great thing about that, at least from my perspective, so we just had someone in every game that just stood up and just had a match winning performance when they really needed it. And you know, like in most teams you have sort of three or four match winners, whereas you know, just about we had six or seven guys throughout the course, seven guys throughout the course of those seven matches that stood up and turned the match on its head whenever we were struggling. So that that was probably probably my favorite memory of my One day career in terms of the team, team aspect and the team performance.
Speaker 1: I just love those photos of the team on the Lord's balcony after that win over Pakistan in the bright yellow kit. I mean, it doesn't get much more iconic than that.
Speaker 4: I don't reckon, No, it was crazy, and you know, and I think the from memory the final is a bit of a letdown. And look, I think and I know it doesn't happen nowadays because it's a global competition and everyone gets planned different wickets, et cetera, et cetera. But back then, you know, I had the same feeling, the same feeling in the finals because I think we played Pakistan ninety nine, we played India in the two thousand and three and both wickets had a bit of carry and bounce, and at that point in time, you know, most of the cricket that the Indians and the Pakistani's played were on on wickets, so so you know, you sort of you're always peeping an eye on the first over with clean McGrath bowling and seeing how much pace and bounces in the wicket, and you know, through the course of the first couple of of those matches, even though they were World Cup finals.
Speaker 5: I felt that we you know, we had a.
Speaker 4: Very the condition suited us and so we had a very good chance of winning both of those.
Speaker 2: Really, that's great.
Speaker 1: Where do you keep the World Cup medals? Are they on display somewhere in your house?
Speaker 4: Or yeah, in my lounde in my lounde room. And which is which is like, it's it's it's difficult. It was only have a small, well not a small unit, but I have a unit. So I've got a sort of put all the Michael Bevan fanboys stuff up in the shirts or plastered across all the bedrooms and the lounge rooms, and so, you know, I didn't have those up for quite a while. It's only reasonably recently where I've actually just started to really well, I sort of reconnect with what I what I did in my career, and you know, and to to revisit the memories more often. And I had quite a lot of memorabilia, and I got rid of kind of half of that to local cricket teams and stuff like that. Still keep quite a bit, probably I don't even know what I'm going to do with it.
Speaker 5: I've got a little bit, but you know.
Speaker 4: Some of it's some of it's in the wardrobe and some of it's out on the you know you out about in the living areas and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: That's brilliant. Absolutely, the more of it the better.
Speaker 1: Now, just before I let you go, Michael, last week, rich Ol and I sort of asked our listeners who are the best part time bowlers? And your name came up from our listeners quite a bit. Do you reckon you were under bold through your career or will you bowl the right amount with your left arm wriskin?
Speaker 4: Probably at times both over bold and under.
Speaker 5: Bold, depending on how I was bowling.
Speaker 4: It was a crazy situation bowling eyes. There was a period there where I had obviously more from a part timer into a probably nearly a regular bowler from memory, and was picked as a regular bowler in front of Paul Rifle, I believe on a green top in Port Elizabeth, and and so look, there were I didn't enjoy bowling, like I didn't have any confidence in in my bowlinging the ball, which is kind of crazy that you can get picked for playing a Test match as a bowler and still not really be one hundred percent sure where you're going to land. Them, and so there was a little bit of trepidation and nervouness nurse around that role, and also some some.
Speaker 5: Irritation given that I was.
Speaker 4: Meant to be a batsman and I hadn't really truly cracked it Test team as a batsman, but my bowling I took ten for an adelaide I think before I scored a Test century, which obviously never eventuated. But so yeah, internally, like you know, I was a little bit unsure at times of bowl really well, and then I think it sort of all came crashing down, Like I think I was probably a genuine all rounder there for a while, but it all came crashing down in the ashes in ninety seven, I think, where my batting struggled and the wickets were really.
Speaker 5: Slow and I really relied on.
Speaker 4: A bit of pop, a bit of bounce and I was overspinning with the wrong and you know, I kind of found that, you know, it was difficult to get as much traction in England and back in Australia or South Africa where I had success as a bowl or so, yeah, a.
Speaker 5: Lot of up and down.
Speaker 4: Series with my bowling and a bit hit and miss at times, but yeah, certainly when I was bowling, well they were they you know, I did a pretty good job.
Speaker 1: Well, you got to take us back to Adelaide that ten week at Hold. Not many people could say they've got a ten week at Haul in Test cricket. What happened that day?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I actually landed them. And a really good sign when you're bowling is you know, is when you bowl you're wrong, and which is probably my major you know, my major delivery, Like if guys can't pick my wrong and I know I'm a big chance because.
Speaker 5: You can get a you can get.
Speaker 4: Away with bowling tripe and you'll get wickets because you know, if if you pitch it a little bit short or a little bit fuller, they actually can't, you know, they're unsure of whether it's a wrong.
Speaker 5: And I probably had about to rollin spur Over and I.
Speaker 4: Just think the West Indies, look, they got me on it on a day and in a Test where I actually landed them pretty well, and they weren't look they were they were, they didn't really pick it like I think Glara picked my wrong and and so he had an easier time against me than some of the other batsmen.
Speaker 5: Some of the right handers, you know, and again.
Speaker 4: They were all right handers and so the wrong and became you know, a tough a tough delivery when I landed it away to the slips. So yeah, like I was, you know, that was a good you know, I'd just come back into the the Test arena and you know at the time I happened to be batting well as well.
Speaker 5: So it's kind of like when I was batting.
Speaker 4: Well the you know, there's a bit of confidence here with the ball as well, and particularly when teams didn't pick my wrong, in which South Africa didn't, West Indies didn't, England didn't either, but because the wicket was so slow, they could adjust and so look I always did better as a as a as a bowler when they couldn't pick my wrong for sure.
Speaker 2: And look I'm just looking at the scorecard now you've got Shane Warn bowling at the other end as well, So bowling in Tandebeth Warning, I mean, what a dream that is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember times in South Africa and obviously the West Indies as well, and of course it does make it you know, you have to give cutos to your teammates. Well, I do you know, because they were just so good in creating pressure, both defensive and offensive pressure.
Speaker 5: You know, guys like.
Speaker 4: Warning, the Glenn Dizzy, you know, all those guys they were you know, they were world class bowlers and and so you know, they're always they're always going to create pressure and wickets from the other end as well. So I really, you know, if I landed them anywhere near where are good, good areas, then you know wickets were going to follow.
Speaker 1: Excellent Michael, Well, thanks for your time and thanks for running us through some of the highlights of your great career. Congratulations on the Michael Bevan Award as well.
Speaker 5: Yes, thanks you just so much appreciated.
Speaker 1: The finisher Richo one of the great nicknames as well, not just great player with great nickname, and maybe that'll have to be a top four for future episodes as the best nicknames. But when it came to chasing in one day cricket domestic, whether international or for New South Wales of for Tasmania, there was none better than Michael Bevan.
Speaker 3: Well, he's the pioneer, wasn't he of as he talks about in that chat, But he was kind of the first to be tagged with that nickname, and there's been a few that have been you know, it's been bear need around since. But there's only one. Really, there's only one finisher, isn't there. But we've seen kind of ms DONI take on that that role I guess for India for so long and making an identity for himself. And then obviously James Faulkner was the modern day version of Michael Bevan. But the I think when you look at his stats and the longevity and no matter who he played for, you know, he played for three states and Australia, he did it. He played that same role for everyone and if he was batting at three or four in domestic cricket, he still he'd still be not out at the end of the innings, or if he'd bat at six for austral Obviously it was somehow a lot easier for him to make that mark. But it's also that is now filled into the way you know, t twenty teams, one day teams are built now players in that role to finish in innings. It's such a big part of the batting order, whereas I'm sure back in the nineties and early two thousands you're probably just picking your best six batsman that you can fit in the six and then just kind of working it out whereas guys have a role. You know, Tim David was playing that for so long in T twenty cricket. So he's a pioneer and he probably deserves a lot more. You know, you don't hear his name as much when One day crickets spoken about, but he's such a pioneer and set up that role for people to enjoy now. And yeah, I was just looking at his one day stats before and he touches on the nine finals, which in itself is crazy to play. I mean nine seasons to make finals, win five of them. But he also made over three thousand runs and averages sixty one. I did seventy eight times, and twenty five of those times he didn't get out, which is just under one in three. So if anyone going around who played against him back then, who actually got him out, well done to you.
Speaker 2: Well that's a good point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's probably a couple of runouts in there, so they're pretty rare. The old Michael Bevan dismissals, So what a player.
Speaker 1: And so there his domestic cricket numbers, I think in the average mid fifties hit and oak as well, so.
Speaker 3: He actually dipped a bit warmly played for Australia, but again incredible like to average that over a long period of time. And I remember watching him as a kid. He was my favorite player. I actually had a pet bird and I named it Bevan really fun fact, so there you go. He was. He was like, and I wanted the Milli Champion Hall or a Puma that he used to use classic. I think they're making a comeback by the way. Yeah, big big fan of Bevans type of bird, budgy like in the Green and Gold as well. Man, it was a green and gold bird, so there he goes. So I wasn't as clued into his domestic feats back then. I was more watching his Australian stuff, but I was a big Bevin fan. Yeah, Bevo, I don't know what to do with that information.
Speaker 2: I've lost my train of thought.
Speaker 3: But there's a future Big Four as well, well, which is pet names. You know, we're running out of content here. I'll leave the Big Four to.
Speaker 1: You, okay, Yeah, I'll take care of today's that's for sure. And then it was nice that we also got to ask him about some of those less listener questions or listener responses about him being under bold, and he made a good point while I've taken a ten wick at Halle in a Test match, so I wasn't necessarily under bold. And we've managed to dig out some of those wickets as well from the archives, so stay tuned for those as well. But thanks to Michael Bevan for giving us his time and having that chat with us. Let's talk about the sheffid Shield Final which is now locked in. It's going to be Victoria and you're old mob South Australia taking it taking it to each other for five days at the Junction Oval for March twenty six. The Sacker Now they've been in the competition since eighteen ninety two, rich oh, they've never managed to go back to back and back in the late eighteen hundreds it was only a three team competition, so you've got a good opportunity. They never managed to do it then could they do it now? Brendan Doggett is a touch and go for that final. He would be a huge inclusion if they can bring him in. But they've got plenty of pace yep as well, don't they? The Sackers and so to Victoria and maybe that's been a bit of a theme of this season. Most of the topic could takers have been quicks as has been the case for the last few years, and the two sides got to have a bit of a look at each other this week as well, playing out a bit of a tame draw with a bit of weather around in yeah, Melbourne, so hopefully hopefully some clear skies for that final when the week comes around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a bit of an odd one knowing that the possible scenario is going to pit two teams against each other again at the same venue a few weeks later. So once that Queenslane kind of ran out of the opportunity of that game. I mean, the spice was taken out of it, and everyone's looking forward to the final when they so you say they got to look at it, look at it, Chada, I'd probably say they didn't show much of Yeah. Wow, I mean in saying that everyone knows exactly what everyone does down to a te so but yeah, definitely fizzled out and everyone's probably preserving themselves for the big dance now. So but in saying that, Brendan Hugget hasn't played or didn't play in that game and it hasn't played for a while. So to get him back a bit of a Shield final specialist, which we've said, so that'll be a huge inclusion for South Australia and just to get themselves back into the opportunity to defend their shield is a pretty good achievement because they weren't looking likely kind of at the big Bash break. They've they've turned it around really well. And again, as you said, it's all been on the back of well as the same for victory, but the bowling attacks have been outstanding and they have been for a period of time now for South Australia, especially with McAndrew. You know, you've got a range of ballers there, but the core that's kept them together over this last couple of years and even going back a bit further is a big part of their success. But also getting Alex carry back from the Ashes and chucking him into that middle order as they did last year in their Shield win. So yeah, I think they'll be quietly confident. I know it's hard winning away, but with the new rules with the Shield and not being able to just be a boring draw, it's going to bring them into the game.
Speaker 1: Ok yeah, okay, And so as Jake Cleman said, they've they lost their first two games of this season in South Australia, but since then they haven't actually lost, so giving them a chance or Victoria have been so dominant this season, so obviously deserve to go in favorites. But can you see world where South Astralia do upset the Victorians.
Speaker 3: I think you can with just the way the pitchers have made these days. And again you can't really just produce a boring It's going to be a good wick here. It's not as if they're going to make it a typical green seema. But I think over the course of five days there will be in an opportunity for South Australia. You know, there'll be an opportunity of the game for them to be able to take and get in a strong position. We saw that with Queensland even last year. It is hard winning away in a five day game, but there's always an opportunity at some point to take that and be in the game. So that will confront them at some point. But it is hard, it's definitely hard. And Victoria I've had a dominant season. They're basically guaranteed of being in the Shill Final back at the Big Bash, like it felt that way anyway, so they're definitely going to be confident. But yeah, I dare say there's a good opportunity that South Australia can I don't know, I don't know how you would say it, but there'll be an opportunity for them to win the game or at least get themselves in their position to win the game. It's just whether or not they can they can really capitalize on it. So again, it's great to see that finals now are the way they are and it's not just going to be the old you know, nine hundred You remember that gomes back in the early two thousand, which in himself, I mean, you wouldn't want to watch the live stream, no, but it'd be great to check the scores and be like, wow, they're on seven hundred four down they just lost their fourth like that in itself was because that takes some skill. But it is nice to see games that are games and people trying to win.
Speaker 1: Definitely, Yeah, it's a bit fascicle though when you get to five for nine hundred.
Speaker 3: Isn't it It is a little bit, but then you get part times bowling and as we've spoken about last couple week, cricket lovers, we do love watching people who don't usually bowl get an opportunity.
Speaker 1: Now Victoria, they will obviously have their captain Will Sutherland, and they'll have Scott Bowland, who's been on fire in this competition. But then they've got to work out who else fits into their bowling attack. They've had Sam Elliott who's been taking which it's for fun this season. Mitch Perry has got a couple of five fers. Fergus O'Neill has an incredible chef which you're bowling average. Todd Murphy he's a pretty handy off spinner. How do you fit all them into an eleven?
Speaker 3: It's a good point. Who didn't play in this last week? I didn't play. I didn't pay attention to that Will Sutherland, was he manage or did he play? Have to check this scorecard with THEE. But now Will was there, I would dare say that all of them can bat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes it tough too, But.
Speaker 3: Then I'm like, well, can you find a way to play them all as well? I know, well there's going to be someone unlike because you can't fit them all in. But I mean, obviously Will's captain, so he's in. Scott Bland's first picked. Fergus o'neils arguably second picked. You're going to need a spinner. Sam Elliot's made a pretty good case too be third picked. He can also bat. He's very handy with the bat, so I mean minch Perry is the one there who's probably unlucky, but again he can bat. He's had a good year especially he's come into form in the last few rounds, so good luck.
Speaker 1: Tough on the was ferguson neil who was left out obviously resting, But yeah, it's going to be a selection crunch, which good teams well often have, don't they.
Speaker 3: That's often the result of a strong season and a good team is that someone is going to be left out. So been there the one season actually had a good year in child cricket, actually ran the drinks in al Springs. That was the end of my shill career. So you've shared that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's a real but.
Speaker 3: That was my decision to be like, well stuff this format, I'm not playing it anymore. But I es they would look forward Mitch Perry's a young kid. If he does miss out and we're speculating here, but he'll get another opportunity at some point in the next five ten years.
Speaker 2: You would think, how quickly did you make a decision to throw them?
Speaker 3: I think it was as the coin went out tay one. That was a long five days now.
Speaker 1: It was a bit of a dead rubber out of cricket. Central New South Wales took on WA in the final matches for both Greg Ship and Adam Vergas as their head coaches. And even though there was nothing on the line, we've got a great finish four overs to go. Sean Abott had just taken the eighth wicket of the w A eating Westerners. I can't win this match, so they're trying to hold on for a draw and then the umpires say the light's too bad. You have to knoww your spinners. I thought that was a bit of a shame, but you know, safety comes first. And then Joel Davies manages to get a wicked in the final over and then has three balls to get out Esther Hazen the new number eleven. He gets off strike and Corey rocket Jolie some great names down there in that lower order manages to hang on. So that was a fun way to finish the regular season, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: It is It's always good to see games go down to that kind of Yeah, the last over and you got eleven Blokes Award and you've got wives. Salzman was bowling part time spin because he's he's normally a quick but he's coming off a really bad hamstring injury, so thrown the ball to him. Yeah, and he actually looked right, to be honest, So interesting. Yeah, it's always I mean, for the last game of the year, you want to go on a bit of tense action, don't you, and a result they can happened. So yeah, with some good viewing. Cam Green back in the runs for w A in that game as well, which is always nice to see again big names go back to State cricket and kind of show everyone again how good they are. So Rocketcolie with five wickets, so he's a name going forward that's again going to keep being around the mark for that spinner spot if theory ever is one that vacates. So but yeah, mainly the talking point was about the coaches, but it was it was a pretty good game.
Speaker 2: Of cricket that got played and Tasmania.
Speaker 1: They smashed Queensland down in Hobart, a real missed opportunity for the Bulls there. Unfortunately they're batting just didn't quite click at the end of this season. They were sitting in second place for a good bit of this second half of this season and just sort of fell away at the end. So disappointing a result for them, but Tazzy they managed to finish with a really strong win and potentially take some momentum into next season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that'd be disappointed again, no doubt. With I tipped them. I just had this weird feeling they would with Jackson byrd back and as we talked about before the I feel like they've got a good depth of fast bowling there now, so I feel like there was a bit of a missed opportunity for them. But as you say, there's there is always next year and for queens And yeah, they'll be kicking themselves, no doubt, because it was there for them, that opportunity in the first innings with the bat to really capitalize and put themselves in the opportunity to play in the shilld Final again like they did last year it would have been away from home, but you'd learn your lessons from kind of how last year's final went. What can you do better. You've got big names in that team that came back. I mean Usmond Kwaja's domestic career or four d a career is now done so and he missed this game the through paternity leave. So yeah, they'll be disappointed. Michael Nessa. You know all these guys, they're just they're going to be another year old and you might not get that opportunity again. So again, to be an opportunity to play Shill finals is what it's all about. But then to kind of miss the opportunity is a bit of a kicker. So yeah, they'll be disappointed. As they hit their mad Mondays around the.
Speaker 1: Country and from Queensland's point of view, they were smashed with injuries. Yeah, but in the bowling department, so it must be said that it feels funny that it hasn't been their bowling that's lewed down.
Speaker 2: It's been the batting.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, as you said, they've probably had to do a Bricket Creek hotel and have a few jars just to see off the season.
Speaker 3: I imagine yeah, they're probably not alone. It's four other states doll on the same thing, isn't it. So yeah, it's always it's a weird time of year because I'm sure some of the bowlers have had really long Like Cameron Gannon, I'm pretty sure he played basically every Shield game. He did ye every time, which is amazing achievement at his age. So he'd be probably enjoying waking up today and having a beer the Sarva and looking forward to a few weeks off, whereas I think there'd be some other guys who wake up and the disappointment of not being able to capitalize on again another year. Everyone's another year older. These opportunities don't always come around, so it's probably not something we're focused on enough. Is those domestic cricket guys who don't always get to play for Australia like a Cameron Gannon, but have these amazing domestic careers. You know, you want to be winning trophies and WA have had two years now down the bottom. So new coach coming in for them that'll be an opportunity to bounce back. But yeah, it's a weird timmy year for sure.
Speaker 1: Leading week taker Liam Hatcher. He's doing a drink too. I reckon amazing effort from him. Nine games and forty three or forty four wickets, so certainly break that year from him absolutely.
Speaker 3: I think he took another half a dozen for this game. So to do it at that ground as well, I'd like to play a few games at Cricket Central. It's pretty flat there, so we talk about semi friendly conditions in the shield at the moment, but probably not. He's probably the one guy wh's be like, hang on, what about me? So he's at a good age going forward where if he can put together another strong summer next year with as we've spoken about it at length, the age of our our quicks in the national team, he could be something that kind of comes from nowhere and puts his hand up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: WNCL Final that's coming up on Saturday as well. This week it's going to be New South Wales hosting Queensland at Cricket Central. Honeston and Sam Bates they're playing on opposition teams, but they both play their one hundredth match in the competition over the weekend. Jonathon conversely, has played all one hundred for Quensane, whereas Baits has played for ACT Tasmania, Victoria and now in New South walesa so really doing the rounds there and she's been a consistent performer everywhere she's gone. Katie Mack recently announced or just on Wednesday as we're recording, as the player of the tournament. Another great season for her, so consistent. She's been dismissed in the nineties three times this season, unfortunate for her. But it's the first time anybody's ever managed that feed in the WNCL, So a little bit of a history. Maybe not one year what but you'd rather a ninety than a zero, wouldn't.
Speaker 3: That's what I was about to say. So there'd be a record for someone who's made the most ducks and yeah, wouldn't be her exactly. No, she's had a great season, same in the big batch, so that'd be a really good final bit of a State of Origin finals the SA Victoria, the AFL True and then Queens and New South obviously in the rugby league department, So two storied rivals, two storied rivals in two different areas of the country. So be some passionate supporters getting getting amongst or down to those games as well.
Speaker 1: Do you feel that rivalry when you're playing for South Australia. Is there that hatred or despise of other teams or is it a bit different in cricket circles.
Speaker 3: Well, I was. I was raised being South AUSI to not like Victorians like that was a big thing. Like the kickovick was quite a big thing, wasn't it. You're a Victorian, Yeah did you?
Speaker 2: Well, we didn't hear that because yeah.
Speaker 3: But it was probably a smaller like a little brother. So you wouldn't have a hatred towards South Australia because Victorian. That's why we that's what we hated Victorians.
Speaker 2: Like Australia New Zealand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, a little bit of that isn't a little brother thing. So there was definitely definitely that. And if you're raised on the like I said, the AFL state of origin that was that was quite a big part of it as well. And that's the same inquison you So kids are raised watching rugby league, state of origin, you pick a team or wherever you're born you affiliate with. So I'm not commenting for them, but I was definitely raised as kay when I played Victoria and cricket. It was like, go a little bit harder, but also insane that it's amazing and they're full of like basically an international team. So I say that, but I definitely didn't say anything on the field to show my hatred.
Speaker 1: So good luck to both the Breakers and the Fire. This week in the WSCLF, Who's you pick? You said, I've only lost one match this season. They're playing at home. Alissa Healy is going to be playing in her final match of cricket. They're going to be keen to see her off on a high. This is it, Tarlie Wilson, she's been a star. She's just been picked in her first audio squad and she's on the Scoop podcast this week as well, so if you want to hear from.
Speaker 2: Talia a Scoop podcast.
Speaker 1: I would love to see the Fire make amends for last season, but I think I have to if I'm tipping, I'm probably going to be tipping the Breakers.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's fair. Yeah at home, I think so. Like you said, the season has been pretty amazing, but you just never known vinyls do you what about in the shield? What do you reckon?
Speaker 2: What's your feel shield? We've got a little bit of.
Speaker 3: Time, yeah, and talk about the time we sit on that.
Speaker 1: Okay, sit on that, but we'd love like to hear who our listeners think. Yep, it's going to do well, so send them in podcast. Cricket dot com dot you is the place to do that, or on Instagram if you want. And speaking of that early I squad.
Speaker 2: Rich.
Speaker 1: Oh, we've got astray over in the West Indies at the minute playing some women's internationals. They're playing three T twenties in St. Vincent, beautiful little Caribbean island there. Those matches are early morning for Australia on March twenty, twenty two and twenty four, really good times and actually I think they're starting at nine or ten in the morning and they're available on Disney Plus, so if you have that streaming of us then you'll be able to watch. And then some matches in St Kits free Odi eyes March twenty eight, March thirty and April third. So it's a very short and sharp little series, but a nice warm up for the T twenty World Cup. I think you said you haven't been to Saint Vincent, but I was there two years ago for the T twenty World Cup and it was a really beautiful ground, just a tiny island really, and it was the match where Afghanistan beat Australia in that crucial pool match or Super six match, and we were watching the game in Afghanistan. We're getting close to victory. I think they just hit a four or taken a wicket. I can't remember if they were fielding first or batting first. And there wasn't much of a crowd there, but we felt a bit of a shake in the grandstand as if you know, there's been a big roar. We only learned later that the ground was hit by an earthquake during the match, so the shake we felt was actually the trend of seismic activity.
Speaker 3: So what was the number on the Richter scales?
Speaker 2: Is your six point seven? I think in the end, so decent, not small? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is that a common common.
Speaker 2: Thing there that I have no idea.
Speaker 1: I didn't sort of once off look into it, but it sort of matched that well with Australia getting shaken out of that tournament at the same time. So that's my little memory of Saint Vincent and I'd love to go back on there.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, you didn't get to go on this tour, but as always a future tour program, there's I'm sure you'll get I'm sure we get another. I actually never went to the caravan. That was the one place I never got to. Well, never toured.
Speaker 2: That's a shame.
Speaker 3: So but there was one during COVID, so I'm not sure it would have been the same. I withdrew from that, but even if I went, I'm not sure it would have been the same experience. Although I'm pretty sure the boys went on a massive boat at some point had a party, so maybe I should.
Speaker 2: Have that sounds fun.
Speaker 3: Should have gone.
Speaker 2: Caravan Premier League never came across your desk.
Speaker 3: Apparently it was. It was a real tough one for Well. I think the time was leading into the Australian season, so I was always hard as a policy to get over there, but also a lot of.
Speaker 2: Travel between Iland. Oh that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even getting there was a big commitment. So yeah, yeah, never got as across the desk to that one. Maybe one day as a coach or a journal you never know. Yeah, okay, okay, maybe we'll do it together one day.
Speaker 2: Sounds good to me.
Speaker 1: Let's say a quick break when we come back. We'll get stuck into this week's Big Four, looking at the best Grand Finals this century. Okay, Richard, we've had some listener feedback. A couple of weeks ago. We got you to talk about your favorite bowling actions past or present. A lot of people agreed with your list, including Adam Rompel.
Speaker 2: He said, very good list, rich O. Shane Bond definitely underrated and they got a lot of likes, So thank you, Adam. I can't go wrong with Shane Bond. And Lord Humongous said Chris Can's had a good at bowling action as well, another New Zealander. Yeah, maybe a little bit on the nose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's probably we'll leave that one.
Speaker 2: There, Okay.
Speaker 1: Anthony Locke, Simon Jones, Okay, he's speaking of underrated two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: That is strong, strong action, smooth smooth. Yep. He was good. He was very good.
Speaker 2: He could swing.
Speaker 3: I always think of him the Poor when he did his knee at the Gabba that first test. I know he came back after that or was that after the five? Now that yeah, two obviously five peaked a peak of his powers, but I always think of that knee injury the Poor like first day yet Yeah, terrible, but he was. He was a gun.
Speaker 2: Should fast bawlers be sliding around in the airfield?
Speaker 3: Look at him these days, they're everywhere, so yes, okay.
Speaker 1: And then dill Park he gave us a triple threat. He went Anderson at gram and Stein. Sorry Stain, he's he is.
Speaker 3: I did miss on that, but I kind of, I kind of said, Jordan Buckingham reminds me of it, did stay and I could have easily gone to him. He's definitely built again, built in a laboratory for fast bowling. Dal Stain, apart from his high which is probably what made him so amazing, igine if he was six seven like more name Morca was like, there's another one with the Akram and Jimmy, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Their own He's no wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's everyone's opinion, isn't it. Everyone's taste. Everyone has different tastes. Left handed, well, left arms versus right arms swing. You know, everyone's got their own. Everyone's got their own. Look.
Speaker 2: Did you play against al Stand in the Big Bash?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I did? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did he have the crazy eyes going well?
Speaker 3: I think I faced last ball of the innings right when he was playing for the Stars. Yeah, yeah, And it was just a little white York at the hip for one, so yeah, I was striking one hundred too, but he didn't have crazy eyes because it was Yeah, he was just kind of going through the motions pretty well. I think he had like three for twenty or four. But he was again one of those through the form my kind of twenties that every time he bowled on to watch. So absolutely and a beautiful one of the best blocks going around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, great, So this week's top four richro to finish us off this week is the best Grand Finals this century because obviously we've got the WNCL coming after One Day Cups just finished Sheffield Shield. Next week it's trophy season's final season. Oscars, So oscars this week? Are they?
Speaker 2: So I've gone through the best.
Speaker 1: Now I've gone domestic and international and so obviously a lot to choose from. So a rattle through these I'll get your opinion.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 1: I've gone for the twenty ten T twenty World Cup in the Caribbean and Australia Women's beat New Zealand by three runs. Sophie Devine last ball Evenings five to win off one ball, she smashed it straight back of the Elise Perry and Perry's put her foot out stopped the full stopped it going to a super over. Australia win and the Australian men's team are there watching as well. You don't get to see that very often. It's a nice wholesome moment. Australia win that one in Bridgetown. Number three, I've got the BBL four Final six and scorches Brettley's final game. Incredible finish, couple wickets and then a run off. The final ball could have gone either way that one. Yeah, so that was a classic. I've gone the twenty twenty three ODI Mentor Cup Australia beating India at the Metabad. Pretty incredible stuff. They'd look untouchable all tournament in Australia thanks to Travis Head. Just get the job done. And then number one, I've gone for the Riobi Cup. Finally, twenty eleven twelve South Australia and Tasmania tied match no super over in the playing conditions that year. A tie is good enough for South Australia and Gary Putland is the hero.
Speaker 3: For Iceman the finish Southustralia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the finish he was he went by the iceman the iceman from that night on Yeah, and so we actually did an in depth look at that match on Stories after Stumps, So jump over onto that podcast if you want to have a listen to Gary Putland and Theodore Appolis Daniel Harris that those sorts of guys and cross wait reminisce about that particular night where Ricky Ponting was running without pads at the non strikers end at the end of that.
Speaker 3: Match, famous one that so I had to in case you missed them, which I didn't think you would, but it was that one and the BBL fourth Finals. So Bradley's last game camera of all places.
Speaker 2: And neutral final venue.
Speaker 3: Can we can we can someone tell us why that was.
Speaker 1: I think they just wanted to try it out and make sure that there was no homered that was scheduled pre Yeah, it was well before the start of the.
Speaker 3: Season, adelaide. It was in camera, that's right, So trying to make a bit of a I think, right. Okay, so that lasted one year, but it was a great game. Brettley's last Moses Enriquez luffed at. Sorry to bring it up though that it happened. That was a good throw I think who threw it in.
Speaker 1: Was it Michael Lum possibly, Yeah, because all of the field was in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Fada he bowled such a good last over, dragged them back and storied rivalry again between those two. So I had the chainsaw going out, like we spoke about as a couple of times, that was that was a great final. And then well, I'm going to be biased BBLA. I thought you were going to mention that, Yeah, well it wasn't a classic final. It kind of was, I think, I think because it didn't go down to the why the result was known probably with two oves to go in the game, but I think the twist in the game and being between two Melbourne teams neither had won, it was on toast. Yeah. That that's probably the other honorable fifth.
Speaker 1: Definitely, because a lot of the international finals I sort of scanned over haven't been that close. So I'm glad we've had some good bbl's and some good One Day Cup finishes.
Speaker 3: And there every year, aren't they. So we're going to get like, yeah, the World Cup onths every four or every two years, so it's probably harder to think back whereas BBL every single year and you want a close one, and you want one that you can talk about the next however long. And that's a pretty good list.
Speaker 2: I've done pretty well.
Speaker 3: Send him in if you think of any others.
Speaker 1: No doubt we'll have some good nominations that we missed, because as you say, there's plenty that happened every year, so there'll be a few good ones in there.
Speaker 3: But yeah, has there ever been a super other and there hasn't has a big gush final semi. I can't think of any that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, imagine that.
Speaker 3: That's high high pressure.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll have to come back next week and finish this off.
Speaker 3: Rich Oh, always a pleasure.