Speaker 1: iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more gold one I four point three podcasts playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app. Got anything good? Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast. During the next hour on the show, we'll have the people's playlist here in twenty minutes time.
Speaker 1: We do it this every Friday.
Speaker 2: We'll put you in control of the music and now it actually becomes Australia's biggest jukebox. Every Friday between eight and nine we give you a theme, you pick songs to do with that.
Speaker 1: Also a Friday.
Speaker 2: One of the most popular features we do are our recommendations. We live in a kind of golden age of choice now for TV.
Speaker 1: Back in the day, for.
Speaker 2: Most of us of a certain age, TV used to shut down. There was one or two channels, there was no choice. The TV was on when the TV wanted to be on, and then they totally go bed at night.
Speaker 1: Now, well, every.
Speaker 2: Movie, that's literally every movie that's ever been made is two seconds away. We're powa lined by choice. Though every Friday there's too many TV shows?
Speaker 1: Is that good? I don't want I don't like that guy. He's always a good guy.
Speaker 2: He's always a bad guy that you get all these arguments now on the couch. Trying to find a TV show that works for everybody is really hard. You're not going to go online starts with research and shows you don't know. If you trust Rotten Tomatoes, we are here for you. We have our recommendations. It might be books, it might be TV shows to stream and watch, it might be movies, apps, anything that we're genuinely into and enjoyed we recommend to you guys. This also works the same way you recommend. What have you enjoyed the last couple of weeks? Lots of big shows over Christmas and movies? What have you really enjoyed? Share it with me? Four seven five three one oh four three. A couple of things for me to go to go in there. First of all, I am I love more technology, but I am somewhat of an analogue rebel.
Speaker 1: I say this right now.
Speaker 2: We're ware that I brought my Polaroid camera into the studio today. I want to get some photos of you all to mark. I want an actual physical reminder of week one of our national radio show, right and yeah, I could do.
Speaker 1: It on my phone.
Speaker 2: It sits on my phone it sits on my phone with the thousands of other photos I'm never really going to look back on. The polaroid camera does not take very good photos. Even if I'm one foot away from you, it still looks like we're at the bottom of a mine in Perth.
Speaker 1: However, I love those polaroid photos. So a long part of it.
Speaker 2: But the big thing I'm starting this with this year with is a pocket diary old score and bringing m right now.
Speaker 1: Yes it is mock leopard skin.
Speaker 3: Notice that leopard skin diary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think as I head into eight years living in Australia, I think I'm awakening my eboguy. Definitely the mock leopard skin pocket diary spoke to me and I've got it now. I do have quite nae handwriting, so I've only ever got room for one or two things a day. So it's actually happening to me really focus on what's es central day to day, not in the kind of minimalist way just because I don't have room. You know, people say I don't have room at the moment in my schedule, I really don't have room to write it today. What have I got? The air task of Vick is coming at three point thirty. I've got a point with Larry Ender at ten to twenty five. That's right, I'm on Channel seven talking about I'm like, yeah, I'm on your home I Channel seven best. I will yes, non stop Lass attack me and last ten to twenty five. So that the other thing that I've really enjoyed over Christmas I loved the Netflix show Runaway. I thought was absolutely outstanding, thriller, very very good, starring a great Irish out to James Nesbit. And then the thing I got This is a Christmas present for one of my kids who loves true crime, absolutely loves it. Ruby, my twenty moe old daughter loves true crime, and I found out you could get this interactive detective for a day. It's an evidence wallet arrives okay, it takes three to four hours to solve the crime.
Speaker 1: As a group or yeah no, no, he plays a group.
Speaker 2: I had to go and get my big I've got a court board that I use for ideas and planning stuff, and so I had to use it. You get the photos, newspaper reports, forensic reports that are so detailed you have to work together to work out who it was, and it has rounds and you can't go to the next round until you make a guess, and then you turn over the next guard and it says with your right or wrong? When you need to go back and look at the evidence trail again, you have to review witness statements that are typed up.
Speaker 1: I didn't know it would be this much fun. It's called Detector for a day. It is.
Speaker 2: We're doing it. We've got a couple to do this weekend because she's getting over surgery. It's great fun. If you want to do something different that's interactive with mates or with family, Detective for a day.
Speaker 1: I couldn't believe how detailed it is.
Speaker 3: Do you do it as a team or are you working against it?
Speaker 1: No? No, you got to do it as a team.
Speaker 3: Ah sick. That sounds great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's red herrings and that it's really really good fun. I'm not someone that normally has the concentration to sit down for a couple of hours unfocused on a singular tasks. That's why speaking every three minutes about something random. Perfect job for me, don't breakfast radio.
Speaker 1: But I love this.
Speaker 2: Even their kids are like my god, dad's still sap focused, Like I'm a human Lambrador.
Speaker 3: Isn't that a tantrum yet?
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's it for me, Rya. What are you into? What are your Friday recommendations?
Speaker 4: I am watching Ball Kids on Netflix, which is a documentary about the surprisingly competitive, ruthless world of the Australian open ball kids.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have to see that.
Speaker 4: It's sort of like drive to survive, but for ball kids, because you.
Speaker 2: Know, come on, one is an extreme edgy sport.
Speaker 3: This is more competitive running to pick up a little ball. No, that's what you think. That's what you think.
Speaker 4: But actually they're all competing against each other for this top gong at the end called top Gun.
Speaker 3: So two of them get crowned.
Speaker 4: There's six judges at every single match watching every move that the ball kids do. Are they dragging their foot too much? Are are they rolling the ball a bit too high? Are they fast enough at the net? Every single move is scrutinized and marked. And then at the end of it, they get picked for finals, and two of them get picked for the top gone top gong, which is top Gun, And so they're all completely makes.
Speaker 2: Sense because I have wondered how do they select who goes through to do the finals?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you can't muck that up.
Speaker 4: It's a really rigorous process and it's they're really like, how.
Speaker 2: Do they even make it to be working at the finals at Slam.
Speaker 4: Five thousand entrance and only I think it's three hundred get picked and they go through boot camp.
Speaker 3: It's six months of training to become a ball kid.
Speaker 1: I did not know.
Speaker 4: They put their heart and soul into it. It's like it takes up half their year just to get that such.
Speaker 2: You know, I wonder if there are people listening right now whose kids have done it. All the kids now who did it a couple of years ago, Please call the show thirteen fifty five twenty two Rio. I would watching that this weekend. What's it called.
Speaker 3: It's called boor Kids on Netflix.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast