Speaker 1: Hello, My name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Order Order Kerney Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to She's on the Money podcast and millennials who want financial freedom Today. My friends, guess what it is Friday, which means it is time to get our little family together and celebrate you ow incredible. She's on the Money community. This week, Miss just Gricci is going to be sharing her favorite money wins from the community. Beck say ed she's got a few broke tips that she definitely didn't steal from her girlfriend. We're gonna be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about different options when it comes to taking out a home loan. And we're going to unpack something that you slid into our DMS about this week. We're talking about how to navigate family traditions that don't feel like you when you're planning your wedding. So to start off the week, I want to know, mister Gricci, you finished your first sewing project.
Speaker 4: See I'm so excited. I text a few people this morning was like, look at my bag because I finished it at like twelve thirty last night, because you know when you get going, and I was so close to the end and I just had to finish it anyway. So it's a little wonky, a little bit ugly, but I'm not.
Speaker 5: That's so cute.
Speaker 4: Painting. I'm like, look what I did, but it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: And do you know what it doesn't look as how you're going as I thought it might.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Well, that's a big compliments.
Speaker 2: Like when you said it looks a bit and I was like, oh, have you got a picture, and then you showed me. I was like, oh no, that's not what I expected.
Speaker 4: That's much better.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't have thought someone handmade that.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought you bought it, so I that is the ten out of ten? What's the next sewing project?
Speaker 6: Though?
Speaker 4: I really want to try making like a top well, because the whole reason I wanted to learn to sew was because I wanted to be able to sew my own clothes, because clothes suck. Like I went to cotton on and the top was like sixty dollars.
Speaker 2: This was going on with that. By the way, cotton you were meant to be accessible.
Speaker 4: So it's like I would go like previously and things would just be like to me, a top, like a cheap top is like forty dollars maxed maybe thirty five.
Speaker 5: The three dollars that came out. But sorry, continue what you're doing totally.
Speaker 4: But it feels like thinking so expensive. I'm about topic, but did you see speaking of things being really inflated that Cole's last financial year, they've released their profits and it.
Speaker 7: Was point one billion with a B, and they had the audacity in their statement to say we've been working really hard to like help our consumers through this cost of living crisis while making a one point like I just away, it feels like everything's more expensive than it should be.
Speaker 2: So I want to shareholders wind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so hopefully a top.
Speaker 2: But makes me so mad, and they're like, we're really cracking down on theft. I know, like are you why do you think people are stealing essential sir? And also like low key, I'm not going to help you, Like I see that. That might be your narrative. But if I see someone stealing something at Coal's, I see someone stealing, that's not I didn't see that. I should have had my glasses. I'm so sorry, mister Colesman. Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it just is wild. So yeah, maybe you'll see me in a top one day soon. Might be a little wonky, will see.
Speaker 2: I don't care. We've made me love.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Have you been sewing your own clothes this week?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I have been doing a different type of sewing, but in the skin.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right. You've got your tax money back and you've spent it on tattoos. Is that what you mean?
Speaker 5: I got like six tattoos and I just want to say the place I got it from. They're called liquid Silver.
Speaker 2: Here we go, we're just going to do a little shout out. I like it. Yeah, it's so cheap, are they? How much do you tattoos cost as somebody, what did you get? You don't you don't literally.
Speaker 5: Are but you I know that this is this is beyond like they were so nice to me and I just want to say thank you so much?
Speaker 2: How much just the tattoo cost? Because I actually don't do you know how much tattoo costs?
Speaker 5: Just well, I's got like one random word that is four letters, and it was very small and that was like one hundred and fifty bucks when I first got not from this place, but yeah, and so I was like, oh, oh my god, if I want to get six tattoos.
Speaker 2: That's a lot.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be like a thousand bucks. It wasn't Do you want to know? Am I allowed to say how much it was?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Of course I know. I want to know.
Speaker 5: I got five tatooes for like four hundred bucks.
Speaker 4: That does seem very cheap.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I guess cause I like design them all, So maybe that's many difference.
Speaker 2: But I have no idea. And to be honest, I thought it was going to be way more than I thought tatoos were like thousands.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Same anyway, that's my plan is having my body get.
Speaker 2: Tatoo to her later, not for the show because this is an audio product, so like, literally no point right now, but maybe later. Yes, let's get into the show though, because I want to know, mister Chi, tell me what money wins or confessions have you seen coming out of the group this.
Speaker 4: Week, Randy, My first one this week comes from Danielle, who said it's a huge one for her and her partner. It's been over two years in the making and she's been counting down the days until she could share it with the group. They now have over six figures invested. She said she used to think that this would never be her and she knows that she's really privileged to have been able to prioritize this over the time period that they did. But she's really grateful to she's on the money for the advice because they wouldn't be able to be there otherwise, which I just thought was really nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, six figures invested, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: And I just want to say, and I've read ones before from people who have said I've invested for the first time and I've put five dollars in. If it's six figures or if it's six dollars, if you've started investing because of the show, like that is just unreal.
Speaker 2: In our brains. What did we record just earlier?
Speaker 5: Beck, We did just do an episode on investments, actually.
Speaker 2: And Beck shared that not only because remember how Beck downloaded the chares heasapp Yes, that doesn't mean that you invested, Yes, but how much have you got invested? Beck?
Speaker 4: Nine dollars? Well done, Thank you, very exciting. So congratulations Doniel. That is just so so so cool. Next, I've got money in from Amanda, who also is very proud of herself. Completely different story though, she said, this is very niche cultural content. It's coming up to the mid Autumn festival and boxes of mooncakes are now on sale. They're fifty sixty, seventy even up to one hundred and fifty dollars for a really premium gift. Box of four mooncakes.
Speaker 2: Are so expensive and if you.
Speaker 4: Didn't know, it's a tradition you give them to friends and families. So good, I've never happen before.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, maybe we should get them because they're on sale now.
Speaker 4: So Amanda said that it's really expensive and attrition is you give them to lots of people during this period. She said, it's really hard to justify that cost. So she spent four hours and twenty dollars on some ingredients. She used a wooden mold that she'd been gifted and she made twenty four mini mooncakes all by herself. That's homemade gift from the heart. And she's got enough ingredients left over she could make another twenty four. What a money. And there is a lovely photo that Amanda put in and.
Speaker 2: They look adorable. Oh so cute. Oh those they look like the ones that you get in the box, and they.
Speaker 4: Were really professional, and I just thought that was very cool, like a cool way to go. Hey, like I still want to participate the tradition, but like the you know, buying a one hundred and fifty old books not for me.
Speaker 2: No, it's so expensive.
Speaker 4: What's Amanda girl?
Speaker 2: Really cool?
Speaker 4: Nest I've got money in from Alice who said they were about to buy a new dryer because there's was leading marks all over their clothes. Then her partner called Alga, who I'm assuming the washer was from or the dryer, and they sent a technician out fixed it the same day for free, for free, doesn't.
Speaker 2: Hurt to us.
Speaker 5: Total, that's so sick.
Speaker 4: So good. Next, I've got a money in from V who said she found an excellent conditioned cat tree on the nature strip. She dragged it in two minutes before the big storm hit Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Oh oh my gosh, that would have been absolutely ruined.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's one of those ones. She's put it in a photo which I was share in a second. It's one of those ones covered in for She said her two ginger cats, Fred and George.
Speaker 5: Absolutely love it.
Speaker 4: Thank you to the mystery neighbory she reckons would be one hundred dollars originally, I'm sorry the cat photos.
Speaker 2: Do you know what? She knows the rules. She knows the rules. If you going to talk about your pets, you have to pay the pet tax.
Speaker 4: They has paid her pet tax. There's lots of good photos on the thread this month, guy, so definitely go check it out. I am going to end on a money loss this week, okay. And a good reminder. I think she lost both her car keys and it's going to cost her twelve one hundred dollars to replace both of them.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry twelve hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: Give someone your spare car key and you know what, most even if you have a clickie like a lot of us have the boo ye, what the.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? I knew, I knew, I knew the first time.
Speaker 4: There'll often be a manual key as well, so just get a cut of your beause to replace the electric bit I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what to call it a remote.
Speaker 4: Yeah, from embarrassing, to replace the remote is often extremely really liked.
Speaker 5: The much better that is much better actually objectively.
Speaker 4: To replace the remote is often extremely expensive. So if you have a car key that does have a manual, just cut a copy of the manual, give you your parents or your best friends or your neighbors, so that if you lose your remote, you can at least still get into your car and you're not like, oh my god, I have to pay twelve hundred dollars or I can literally never drive again. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's also like another money in if you are buying a brand new car, you know, when you're like negotiating price, negotiate to get an extra key.
Speaker 4: Oh that's so small.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Like if you're.
Speaker 2: At a car dealership and asking, you know, can I get a better price? Lock them down on price, and then say, also can you please throw in an additional key? That time is also the time. I don't know. I'm full of cartoest today to ask for like upgraded floor mats, or like additional wipers that you can put in the glove box. Like just knows how to change car wipers, So.
Speaker 4: Call her surprisingly easy, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: But that's the time that you want to ask for an additional key if one's not included, or you want an extra because they're so expensive, and you just know, you just know that the dealership it doesn't cost them that much.
Speaker 4: Now they probably have a machine out of the back.
Speaker 2: I want to spare it. Thank you.
Speaker 4: That's so smart. Well, le, you go very sorry for your money lost cap, but hopefully that can be a future money win for someone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, that's a really good place to leave those. Beck. You got some broke tips, my love, I sure do.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say once I ended up losing my keys. I was instant Kilda or something, and I was quoted like fourteen hundred. It was between fourteen hundred and two thousand dollars. And you see my car, it's so old.
Speaker 4: I could break a window and replace that exactly.
Speaker 5: Jiggle the handle for long enough, it's just gonna calm undone by itself.
Speaker 2: I could probably jimmy this with a screwdriver, but three dollars.
Speaker 5: I googled, googled Google, even went on Reddit randomly. I went everywhere and I found someone who did it.
Speaker 4: Didn't look very.
Speaker 5: Very safe, look very dodgy, but he did it for three hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Soueen. Just know that Google is your friend, a good reminder to shop around.
Speaker 5: You go exactly okay, So I have two broke tips from the commune and one for myself, as per usual. Exciting when one listener said shop at NQR. I know we've gone and said, we usually talk about like Cheaper by Miles and its equivalents, but I don't think I've mentioned.
Speaker 2: Q yours, and I feel like I'm missing out. It is so fun, like everything's basically a dollar.
Speaker 5: Everything's a dollar. Actually, I was watching this is Cheaper by Miles, but it's very similar to NQR. Someone went and they said, like, you know, they have like ten bucks, and they made like a video of it. And he went through and kind of just like picked items and he had like a whole basket full of stuff and he only had ten dolls on him. So you go to places like NQR Cheaper by Miles, and of course people things are in there because they're not quite right they're NQR. But that's fine.
Speaker 2: It doesn't care about.
Speaker 5: We don't care about.
Speaker 4: That's like a smash box or a misprinted label.
Speaker 5: Soon things that are completely fine to eat and tasty and also fun. It is so fun going in there because there's like little toys and things like it's exciting.
Speaker 2: It's just it's an adventure.
Speaker 5: It's an adventure. I love it and you are good.
Speaker 2: One, especially right now. The one thing that I do remember them having a lot of is like school snacks, like snacks for kids for their lunch boxes. And I mean we've all been kids where you get a bit sick of our lunch box snacks. What a good way to mix it up?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Or cheap?
Speaker 5: Yes? Okay, This sext one comes from a friend of mine.
Speaker 2: Next, like, I don't have kids, not a problem for.
Speaker 5: Problem, easy easy easy sext one comes from a friend. And I know you guys are not going to like this one, but this is so all okay show, let's go.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: So if you're going to like those BYO restaurants, yeah.
Speaker 2: Usually this is definitely up our alley by the way, Okay, past.
Speaker 5: Are good, So you know, it's I feel like it's really socially unacceptable to take yourself a bottle of what are they called the bladder of goon or a bottle of.
Speaker 2: Phrased that way, and that does make it less attractive, doesn't it? Carry on?
Speaker 5: Bag cusp off. Of course, it's.
Speaker 2: A matter of what I mean, teches correct.
Speaker 4: I was just like, I don't think you're wrong. I just think it's gross.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the image of.
Speaker 2: That carry on. So we're not taking that to bo apparently.
Speaker 5: But if you have, like everyone does this, But I always keep my old wine bottles because it's really nice for like if you want to put like a little pop plane in a little flower or something like that, so you like keep all your old wine bottles.
Speaker 2: I am keeping all my old wine bottles because my niece and my nephew are collecting them for the recycling. So like I I get crucified if they come to my house and there's not a collection of recyclables for them, because that's their pocket money.
Speaker 5: Drinking baby, Well, you would really find enjoyment in this because you can just chuck.
Speaker 2: I know that you can put goon wine in the if you're.
Speaker 5: In the bottle or your fat little lamb or whatever cheap equivalent of alcohol you have. I used to do like a spirits mixed with This is really gross, but it was spirits mixed with seventy five cent soda water and a dash of cord.
Speaker 2: Sorry, reframe. You made cocktails.
Speaker 4: I cocktails.
Speaker 5: I made cocktails, and it was so cheap, and it was like, god like, it's so easy to just go, you know, but you can't like walk around with like a plastic bottle of soda water.
Speaker 2: I walk around with a bottle of wine either. But that's true. But yeah, you're taking anybody's here to stop you very deep, it's very discreet.
Speaker 5: Just know that me and everyone else, no one's going to judge you for doing this. And I think it's a really good way.
Speaker 2: No, okay, icon I'll call to a Bayo restaurant for cheap And that's not even your broke tick. That was somebody else's.
Speaker 5: That's but I did say it was a friend, And you know, I surround myself with people just like myself.
Speaker 2: As you should call as I should.
Speaker 5: This next one also comes from a friend, but I'm going to claim it. Okay, all right, so I'm claiming it. It's my own. So my friend said, switch or sorry, I say, switch off your hot water when out for the day. Electric hot water systems, in particular, not like with gas. You have like a what was it called that burning? What's a pilot?
Speaker 2: Pilot like?
Speaker 5: Don't switch that off because I feel like it takes a whole team of professionals coming and switch that back on. If you have an electric hot water system, switch it off for the day as you go out. It'll save your money.
Speaker 2: I'm so confused. Do you think that? Sorry, I'm not confused. I just have questions. Please quite smart. So I like that, But does it then cost you more to reheat it?
Speaker 4: This is what a guy said to me about heating the house. Remember how I've been like two months in a row and heating meal. Won't it eight dollars? I just paid them. We didn't pay the first one because I was just so in shock. Switch pay sixteen hundred dollars this month, and I know.
Speaker 2: You didn't for your heater. H Do we want to talk about I mean I do, but but then we can see your trauma.
Speaker 4: We're talking to someone, and they said, just instead of turning it off, because I'm like, I don't understand, like I'm turning it off during the day, like we're only for attit of like we cannot get.
Speaker 2: I think this is where this question in my head is coming from, from you saying like I turn it off. I don't get it, Like is it the reheat?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's what this heating person said, is it might be more affordable to just keep even overnight, keep it at like seventeen degrees or like, because our house has been dropping to like twelve on the really cold days. I don't get a whole other story about insalation, but anyway, he was like, just try pay enough to keep it at you know, seventeen or so, and then it'll be actually more affordable in the long run than trying to pump enough heat to bring it up from like twelve, which I blew my mind but.
Speaker 2: Also makes sense. Yeah, like science sciences, but the math in my head not math. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: All too far over for me. But I don't know if maybe you're right.
Speaker 2: I just have questions. So I think that that might be really smart because the hot water system is definitely not the same as heating a whole house. Like maybe you just put it through and it's one of those like instant hot water systems. Yeah, true, yeah, well them time.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking, because if you like turn your car on every time you stop, turn off and on, that's using all more petrols than if you just like idling, I assume is it the same?
Speaker 2: Was it built it into my car then?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: H yeah, sorry, I forgot that. I forgot about your newer car.
Speaker 2: Victoria's fancy over here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in that case, I take that back.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that doesn't mean it's true. It's actually the most annoying thing in the entire world. That is the most one of the most first world problems. Is I hate when my newer car stops at the traffic lights and then I want to go, but then I have that few second delay lag of like the car turning itself back on and I can't. I feel like the people behind me are grumpy at me.
Speaker 4: That's robably wi my list of things that are embarrassing for no good reason, you know what I mean, Like that if you don't take off quick enough of the lights, Like it's fine, it's not that deep, but like or yeah, the sound of the car turning on. Like sometimes my radio won't work, Like it just will not work, so you have to turn the car off and on and so I won't notice until i'd like driven to the first up traffic lights and then I'll try to turn my car off and then on to get it going.
Speaker 2: Oh that's embarrassing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so embarrassing. I'm like, Oh, my other person the car behind me can see me turn my car off.
Speaker 2: I feel like there is so that are embarrassing that shouldn't be embarrassingly. The other day, I went on a walk because I wanted to like go a different way because usually I do like a loop around my area, which I've talked about a million times. But I like, at what point do you turn around and not look insane?
Speaker 5: I know, lip Like, what do you do?
Speaker 2: Do you just stop halfway up the path, turn around and start walking.
Speaker 5: You got to pretend you're on the phone on the phone, and I kind of like or all back and forth a bit, and then I like kind of like kick the stones on the ground and then I will slowly walk the other way.
Speaker 4: I do that at the shops. If I've gone the wrong direction, I'm like too embarrassing to just simply turn around, like, God.
Speaker 2: Forbid, I wanted to get something else from the fruit and vegetable section, and I have to go back now. That's in fact, we need to do a thread just in the Facebook group this week of just things that are so embarrassing for no good reason. Do you know what else I find really embarrassing that shouldn't be embarrassing? Money related though, having to count out my money, Like when I'm like, like, when I've got like coins or something, I just feel the amount of stress that I feel making the cashier weight for me to find the money. It's almost like I forgot that I could even add money together. I'm like, how much more did you need? And They'll be like a dollar and I'd be like, I don't know how to calculate a dollar, Like my brain just turns off. It's mortifying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, God, anxiety, you love to see it.
Speaker 2: Everybody everybody listening to this, Who's like, I don't find anything You don't have anxiety, do you?
Speaker 6: World?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: Well, those were good broke tips. Those were epic community money wins. Let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. We're going to be talking about the different options when it comes to taking on a home own, and we're going to be talking about something a little bit spicier. How do you navigate family traditions that don't feel very much like you when planning your wedding? So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 4: Welcome back everyone. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma? Shall we.
Speaker 2: Hi? There?
Speaker 9: Have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: I'm currently saving for my first home, aiming for around seven hundred thousand and eager to start asap due to the rising market. I have ninety thousand dollars in stocks and forty thousand dollars saved. My family can't be guarantee or can't help with the deposits, so I'm considering two options at the moment. Company called own Home. With my current forty percent savings, I can enter the market now. My repayments would be about four eight hundred per month at a six point nine percent variable. If I wanted to save an extra forty thousand dollars over the next six to eight months, I can go with a company called Timely Home. My repayments would be around about three thousand, seven hundred per month at a five point nine percent fixed rate for two years.
Speaker 8: Alternatively, I can catch in all of my stocks for an almost twenty percent deposit and follow a normal bank route. However, it's just going to leave me with no safety net and I'm going to face capital gains at tax time.
Speaker 2: Any advice would be so appreciated.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 4: I'm always just skeptical if I'm honest of anything that's not a bank, which I know, like, it's really great that we have access to all of these different things. And I don't know anything about either of those companies, but even rent to Buy, I just I don't know. There's something about it that makes me a little bit iffy.
Speaker 2: And I did a little bit of research and they seem like two different things. So own Home. When I have a look at it. It's like spend less to become a homeowner rah rah. And it's definitely some type of low deposit home loan scheme where they are the lending facility. Whereas Timely that she mentioned, when I look them up, they're just mortgage brokers. So the one thing I would say is get really clear on who you're talking to. So it sounds like you've done a heap of research, and it sounds like you're really well resourced. Like forty grand in savings, that's a lot, ninety thousand dollars in shares. That's incredible. That doesn't mean you need to sell it down, but that is something that goes on your assets list when talking to a broker that gives you better lending. Like, go and talk to a good mortgage broker. I know a heap. I actually employed that at Zella Money. But what I would be doing is going and talking to a broker who can go all right, Beck, I'm gonna spread all your options out. So right now, we have forty thousand dollars in savings, we've got your shares, we've got this, we've got that. Like any good mortgage broker is going to take you through all of your home deposit schemes, what you have access to, whether there are banks that would accept you, do not pay any LMI if you were to go for a loan through them. Like a couple of weeks ago, we got a single mum her first home with a two percent deposit, no guarantee, nothing, a two percent deposit incredible. We see homeowners literally weekly at Zella Money getting their first home for a ten percent deposit. We had a couple of weeks ago someone get it with a five percent deposit. These are people that don't have guaranteores. So like obviously with a guaranteur that is really easy. But there are different credit unions, there are different lending facilities that good broker have access to to help you in this situation. And they will put on paper literally sit you down and go all right, well, you could buy now, here's the outcome of buying now, or you could buy in six months when you've got you know, a little bit more money, and this is what these outcomes would look like. A good mortgage broker isn't rushing you into buying asap. And I think when Jess you said I'm skeptical, it's because those outcomes or what we're talking about here, like own home. I'm super skeptical. I don't want anybody swooping in and taking advantage of the fact that you don't have the deposit that you think you should have, so they go. You know what I can get her. I can give her a loan. I can put her in quote the best possible position, and she's going to be happy with that interest rate, when in reality that's not best for long term you. So I would be talking to a professional here. Spoiler. When you're talking about property with mortgage broker, it's free. It's not like going and getting financial advice, which can be crippling. Let's be honest. Financial advice is really expensive. But when you're talking to a mortgage broker, we get paid by the banks. We aren't paid by our consumer, which is for me, the sexiest thing about it, because I can give you epic advice and it doesn't cost you a thing. It just puts you on a better journey, in a better position because I got to be involved. So I guess that's my just talk to somebody in the know, and it sounds like maybe this is a stretch, but from the way that you're articulating what's going on. You explained both options as though it was one or the other, when in reality it was one or a broker who hopefully had gave you access to sixty plus different options like we do. That should have been more clear when you were articulating that to me, and that, to me tells me that whoever you've been talking to is maybe not helping you in the way that they should be helping you. So my advice would be, go and find a broker who can assess this homeown option for you. I have literally said, and my team have literally said to clients sometimes I know that you're here to refinance, Great, don't I'd love to help you refinance, but you're not going to be in a better position because what you've got right now you secured during COVID and that is epic. Please don't refinance yet, but when your time comes up, we'll do it. Then we've literally said to people, you're right, you can't get a better deal than the one that's currently on the table for you. Go with that. Like I do not want to just get clients and rack them up just because I can. I want to put people in the best possible position. Find a broker that can do that for you, is my advice. I feel like that was like sorry me just being like I hate it. Here, I fix this, so apologies. I usually give you guys a heap of time to have your opinions, but Beck, what would you do?
Speaker 5: You're like, oh, I'm not the best person because I'm I'm literally noticing things in myself, Like when I was telling you guys about how I'm trying to like look up rent to buy situations and I'm realizing, like it's possible, but god, it would be so expensive to do that, and it would be.
Speaker 2: It's expensive long term, it's expensive.
Speaker 5: Long term, and like, well it depends like some people would be great, some people wouldn't be great. But I just get so like, oh my god, here's my one and only chance. And I feel so urgent right now. I'll literally sign any paper work that anyone gives me ever, and I'm just going to jump straight into me with that. So I think that the urgency might be there. I'm sure for anyone who's trying to buy the first year.
Speaker 10: I feel it, you know, yeah, and it's like, oh, like let's just chill out and it doesn't matter if this happens in a year's time or next year or the year after whatever, if it doesn't happen at all.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's really relevant though, like so many people experience that. Beck like that sense of it, and I feel like that's the two pieces of advice I'd have about money when it comes down to it. So that first piece is anybody who gives you a sense of urgency around your money does not have your best interests at heart.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 2: Anybody who's asking you to make a split second decision to quickly wrap it up, it's for them. It's never for you. So if you talk to a broker, you talk to a financial advisor, any good one will say you let me know when you're ready. I'll leave it in your court. You call me if you've got questions, You ask me, like they might ask you follow up questions and be like, hey, Jess, how are you going on the house hunt? But they aren't going hey, like you really need to find a property this weekend, like you needed to settle. Like to me, that is a red flag that they do not have your best interests at heart. The second piece of advice would be Beck there is always another opportunity. Always. You're not ever going to miss out because you didn't take a financial opportunity, because there's going to be another one. It might not look for the same, but it will present itself. And I think so often people get this sense of I'm going to miss out if I don't take this up. Oh my gosh, it's an investment opportunity of a lifetime. I promise you it's not. Yeah, like, it doesn't mean that it's a bad opportunity, but if it's not the right time for you, it's actually not the right investment. So if you have a sense of urgency because you're like I just I really need to just get this done. All my friends are doing it. I'm feeling behind, terrible idea. Yeah, until you feel really calm, really at peace, and really measured in the decisions that you're making, that's a good financial decision, great advice. I feel like I get so frustrated because that sense of urgency is something that I often see in the industry. Yeah, and I just know that it's not coming from people wanting to put you in the best possible position. It's coming from people who either want to prey on your lack of literacy and the fact that you owning a home would be so sick, are going to be so amazing. So someone who can sell you that dream right now? But beck you could get into it sooner you go, oh yeah, this guy's here to help me.
Speaker 5: It's going to work on me.
Speaker 2: No, these guys here to help line their back pocket, and the best way to do that would be to have as little strings attached as possible. Right, So maybe if it does take a bit more time, it might not be as exciting an option right now, but I promise it will put future you in the best possible position. Thank you.
Speaker 5: I mean I wasn't for me, but thank you. I've taken a lot from this.
Speaker 2: I am glad. Please don't do it talk to me off air.
Speaker 5: Yes, I will.
Speaker 2: Great turn. Let's get into our money dilemma this week we got a DM Are you ready to hear it? My friends?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: All right? Advice please, she's on the money. My fiance and I are deep in wedding planning, and to be honest, it's stressful. He comes from a culture where it's traditional to invite hundreds of people, most of which I've never met. These guests give large sums of money gifts, which is a really big deal in his family. He's excited about this tradition, but I'm feeling overwhelmed. I always imagined a small, intimate wedding with close friends and family. It feels odd to accept money from people I don't know, and it makes it feel so much more transactional than celebratory. There's also an unspoken expectation will then attend the weddings of all these people and give them large cash gifts in return. I don't want to offend his family, but I also want our wedding to feel personal and not a big spectacle. How do I navigate this without causing a fight or coming off as disrespectful?
Speaker 5: This is really hard. I actually don't have anything yet, so maybe i'll.
Speaker 2: You're like, give me a minute to ponder, Miss JESSICRICI.
Speaker 4: I think it's very tough, because ultimately, a wedding is the marrying of two people who have different backgrounds, perhaps different values, different ideals.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, don't ask the Catholic Church.
Speaker 4: That like the ultimate outcome More often than not in weddings, I think is that you have to reach a point of compromise like big wedding, small wedding, expensive wedding, cheap wedding. You know, dresses or suits or whatever, like ten bridesmaids, two bridesmaids, Like it's all a give and take based on what's important to each of you. I think the element that is tricky is the fact that it's not just oh, I have ten thousand people I want to invite. It's a cultural thing and it's I think important to acknowledge that it's important to be respectful of those traditions that are a part of your culture, a part of your upbringing, and they you know, it sounds like a really important to your partner. I completely understand where she's coming from. I think I personally would also not love the idea of committing to paying hundreds of people heaps of money over time.
Speaker 2: I would not agree to that hundreds of people heapes the money. One out of ten times, You're right, it does given me anxiety.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's really hard because I guess there are a number of cultures in which you know that is a big part of the tradition, and it's hard to figure out where you draw the line between what is comfortable for our listener and what is important to their partner as a part of culture and tradition. I don't think that there is a right answer and answer that we can give you. I think it is you have to talk to them, shocker. You have to have a conversation with them. And I think the argument that you've put forward to us is very valid. And if you're marrying this person, I would hope that they would hear out your concerns and work with you to find a compromise. But if I'm honest, I don't necessarily know what that compromise could be. I mean, maybe it is pairing it back into instead of one hundred people, it's eighty people or fifty people, or finding a number in the middle. But I guess that doesn't really get you out of the committing I guess informally to then attending other weddings and paying the money, which is tricky. But I think it's something that you guys probably really have to come to together in regards to what feels right for you.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, you're saying that, like every other episode, communication is key.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I did not see this coming.
Speaker 4: But I think Yeah, just keeping in mind that what you want is valid, but what he wants is also valid. And someone's history and culture is very important, and your partner has a right to want to part of celebrate that too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I get that you're uncomfortable about it, though, And I feel like when you're uncomfortable about something, it's either because it's absolutely the wrong thing to do or you just don't have enough education on that topic yet. From my perspective, doing some research into your partner's cultural weddings, what does that usually look like? You know, what does it look like in his family? Have you spoken to him, how does he feel about it? Like is it something that he feels as though is just being pushed on him as well? Or vice versa, like where is this all coming from? So that you can come to a very educated decision, not just to And I don't know how comfortable you are. We're always given such small amounts of information, right, but I would be asking a million questions about what does that look like? How does that work? And I mean, yes, there might be an expectation that you give big cash gifts, but I'm also a very big believer that irrespective of culture, giving big cash gifts if you're not in that position, shouldn't be something that you have to do. So if that's something that they want to do, is a gift not meant to be something that is given without expectation. Otherwise it is not a gift, is it.
Speaker 4: Yeah? It can be hard because I have a few friends that have gotten married that within their culture, it's almost like, I don't want to say a competition, but like people.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely a competition. People are kid in.
Speaker 4: The track, you know, maybe particularly I think the older general, more traditional.
Speaker 2: Gener I've got a girlfriend whose family like wrote an entire spreadsheet of what gifts were given, what the price point was, how many words were written in the card, and like that was normal. Everyone in their family does that because they keep track of it because then when they go to a wedding, they consult spreadsheet to see what they will be giving at that and like to me, which when I heard that, I was horrified. Yeah, I was like, oh my god, I would never But if that's what works for them in their culture, like who am I to judge?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think that's probably where the transactional feeling comes wrong. But you're totally right. Like it's a hard balance because you don't want to disrespect those traditions or that culture or you know, like if you don't reciprocate that gift, you don't want them to be like, oh my gosh, they hate us because you know, it's so hard to navigate and you know, it's not my traditional, my culture to participate in weddings that way. So I it's hard for me to understand, I guess, or to speak on.
Speaker 2: But I love that we get these questions so we can learn more about it, and I just go, oh my gosh, people do it like this. I just I went to a friend's wedding a couple of years ago and she was Chinese, and just even the immersion of her culture, Oh my gosh, it was amazing, Like just understanding how many different ceremonies we went to in the lead up to her wedding, how many different things on the day were done that were very different to my wedding, Like it was just so cool. But I can see that that would have been really jarring as her partner, who was my friend growing up that did not have that cultural background. He was like, what the heck and is going on? I don't understand she saw that and like it could seem a bit you know, overwhelming and not what they are used to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely. I have a friend who I think from memory, she they take cash, actual physical cash, and like stick it to the brides. Oh yeah, I've seen that, yeah, which I think is really cool. So I just think, like all of these cashtres different wedding was made for me. Yeah, Like I feel like all these different wedding celebrations and ceremonies and all these like all these different like variations of the same thing, and we all celebrate it in totally different ways. And like some people don't celebrate it at all. Some people do believe in it, some people don't believe in it. Some people. It's just really beautiful to see how different cultures and different people celebrate the same thing in their own way, which I think is really cool. But I can understand why, Like in a culture, in a society where we literally black and white, cash for something is transactional, but for some cultures it's not.
Speaker 2: At all, okay, celebratory.
Speaker 5: I'm not Hindu, but my family are Muslim, well one half of them, and so we don't actually celebrate Duwali, but I don't. My first girlfriend was Hindu. She celebrate Dwali and they give well she did anyway, I don't want to speak for all because I this is like in high school, but they gave cash gifts, and for them cash gifts. It's not like a transactional thing. It's not the way like we open up our mom's birthday card and hope that there's twenty bucks in there so we can like, you know, bias or something. It's not in that kind of way. It's just it holds so much more value to certain people.
Speaker 2: So true, you know I wouldn't so yeah, like the Chinese tradition of giving a red envelopes.
Speaker 5: Ye yeah, yeah, totally. So I feel like it's not someone giving you cash or that this tradition that is making you feel bit uncomfortable. I'm assuming they're probably not viewing it in the same way that we might.
Speaker 2: But I can see you're uncomfort and I acknowledge that it's there. But how do we work through that? Because I feel like if you're marrying into this as well, it's going to be a theme that keeps coming up.
Speaker 5: Totally. But I do think like for starters, if this is something on your partner's side that is a tradition. If you ever come across a situation where, first of all, people aren't getting married every year once a year, every year, it's once off hopefully maybe twice off, maybe three times, who knows, but it doesn't happen as often as a birthday or a Christmas.
Speaker 2: What stage do you stop bringing a wedding gift? Like if Jess was on a fourth marriage, I'm like out fourth marriage.
Speaker 1: I.
Speaker 5: Would probably I would keep going if you had a wedding every year.
Speaker 2: I loved getting married, so like I would have another wedding. Oh a thousand percent.
Speaker 5: So you can do a wedding, vowel, wedding, don't put it party, manual, wedding renewal, vowel renewal.
Speaker 2: Don't put it past me. I would if I could, but my husband won't consent to that, so I won't do.
Speaker 4: We have some people weighing in maybe who have different course.
Speaker 2: We asked a few questions first. So first question we asked was would you feel comfortable accepting a cash gift from hundreds of people you didn't know. Forty six percent of you said yes, especially if it's a tradition, and fifty four percent of you said no, it feels uncomfortable. I think that's actually just really reflective of the demographic in our community. Like our community, we are in Australia, and I feel like we are multicultural, which I am so grateful for. But overwhelmingly lots of us are going to have Australian values because that's where our podcast lives, and that's so okay. But I think, yeah, that's maybe reflective of that. That doesn't necessarily mean that, no, everybody worldwide feels uncomfortable. It's probably just very reflective of our community. And then we asked, would you compromise your wedding vision to honor family traditions and such a spicy question. Thirty six percent of you said yep, traditions are important, but sixty four percent of you said no, your wedding should reflect you. Oh true, I agree your wedding should reflect you.
Speaker 4: But there's too you're married, Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Like it's you.
Speaker 2: You're marrying into a culture.
Speaker 5: It's got to be a hybrid of everyone's hopes and dreams.
Speaker 4: And it's got to be a compromise, like it's two separate individuals.
Speaker 2: Culture is beautiful, Like the idea that you get to marry into another culture that has this rich history that you didn't have experience it. I just think it's so cool, Like the idea that you've got, you know, you talking about your ex girlfriend, she gets another shout out, But like the idea that you got to have such a close experience with her culture and how she celebrated, like doing de Wali would have been something that you'd never know. I just think it's such a privilege to experience other people's culture, And like a wedding in lots of cultures is just such an honor and such an event that it's not just about you. Yeah, but yeah, it should be about you because it's kind of reflective of your culture and your traditions. And even if you want what you deem to be a super traditional plain wedding, that doesn't mean that that's your partner's super traditional plain wedding.
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, what else do people say?
Speaker 2: So we did say, all right, give us your two cents. One person said, in our Asian culture, this is very common and hard to compromise on, to be honest. Someone else said, we ended up having two weddings, one traditional and one Western.
Speaker 4: I kind of like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was going to be.
Speaker 2: Married. It was my favorite and you got to do it twice. That's cool.
Speaker 4: It doesn't fix a lot of our listeners problems, but it's like a fun I mean it also probably very expensive. But oh oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, but like that idea, let's just put the financial cost of the wedding completely aside. While having this chat, someone else said, I'd save the money they gave me for their family gifts and then add a little bit of an interest.
Speaker 4: Actually, not a terrible idea.
Speaker 2: Put the money aside for when you go to weddings.
Speaker 4: Just give back what you I mean, if yeah, like if it is that nature what we were talking about before, where it's.
Speaker 2: Like you've you've never got the budget decide to attend to their weddings.
Speaker 5: Wait, you guys one hundred, one hundred, it's like ten thousand dollars, right, So I'm saying, if you are one hundred g I guests gave you one hundred dollars, that's like ten thousand dollars, right, then, Yeah, you could do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's probably a really good workaround for the fact that our listener doesn't necessarily want to accept the money. You'll feel comfy with that, like maybe you're just holding it in trust until you go to their wedding. Give me oh my god. Maybe that's the solution.
Speaker 2: That's a solution the an series and communication. It's hold the money on trust.
Speaker 4: Sit on it like a dragon on a pile of gold, and then.
Speaker 2: Like a dragon on a pile of gold. This is really reflective of the content you're into recently, because I was like gonna say a golden goose. All right, so next person, you can still mostly hang with your people important to you and do things that are important to you. I think that that's mainly saying like they can still do that, yeah, and honor their tradition. It doesn't mean that your family has to give heaps of money. Maybe just the people that celebrate that way.
Speaker 6: Doo.
Speaker 2: Someone else said, my friend is going through something really similar and they booked a venue that has a max cap sorry physically sorry, I actually just booked a restaurant. Actually it's really niche. There's only a table of ten. Someone else said, we just chose to alowe. Wouldn't change of things? Saved oodles of money and all of the stress one other comment said had the same situation, but we're stuck to what we want the wedding outcome to be. That's a good point. Why are you getting married?
Speaker 5: Oh well, now we've opening a new why.
Speaker 2: Are you getting married? And if you're getting married into that culture, why are you doing that if it makes you uncomfortable. Oh maybe that's a little bit too deep, too far, too quick. But like also, maybe let's get really comfortable with the culture. Someone else said, and I thought this was really funny. I come from a really big Greek family. My dream wedding's going to piss a lot of people off.
Speaker 4: Not the traditional, my big fat Greek wedding.
Speaker 2: No, apparently not. Then I've got two part of answers to finish this off. Someone said, I come from such a culture. I think the traditions have to be taken into context because it's definitely not seen as transactional. It's seen as a way of coming together to chip in, which I think is really beautiful. And then the second two part was we had a traditional ceremony where my family helped pay and kept gifts from their friends, and then we had a reception on a separate night. Then in brackets. I know that's not easy for some with only our close friends, so we could have the best of both worlds.
Speaker 5: Very good idea.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's lots of compromise to be made. But guess what, Guys. To make those compromises, you need to chat with your partner and understand how important these things are. And I get that it feels transactional. But after this chat, I feel like I want to do a bit more learning about how those cultures really feel. Like it's chipping in like I have had. Yeah, Like, yeah, I want to know more about how that works because as somebody who has grown up in a very Australian family, I do feel relatively uncomfortable handing over cash gifts because I've been taught that that's the lazy gift, Like that's just how I've grown up, Like, oh yeah, just get them a gift card. Like to me, that's a flippant response. Whereas which is so not true. No, no, no, it's not. Jess loves a bloody gift card.
Speaker 4: I like more than a Mecca gift card, which you know so well. But get rid of the idea.
Speaker 2: But I'm talking like stereotypes entertains that in my head are part of my money story that I in the back of my mind go, maybe that's true, but it's not true. And I feel like that opens a conversation up of me being like, I want to learn so much more about all these other culture's weddings and how they view money and what that looks like. So if you ever see a podcast pop up that's like cultural Money Discussions or something, you know where this has come from.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, guys, unfortunately that's all we have time for today. Have a good weekend. I'm gonna probably do another bonus episode tomorrow, so we'll see you then, but we'll also see everybody right nearly on Monday morning for money Darry Bye bye. The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial.
Speaker 9: Product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 2: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 9: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money sheper pty ltd ABN three two one is six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine