Speaker 1: Flex and frooms on kit Flex and Frooms. That's the podcast version see yat Macytos. When's I going to get annoying? I think it already has. Is it annoying for you to always put to self assess getting there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Use it in a post a couple of days, agoth honton it's on those last legs.
Speaker 3: Get your money's worth while you can. Oh, coming up, We're talking about a lot of great things. I personally am obsessed with the podcast only because you know me, I love a epee love it. Little chitty chitty, I want to speak at length about stuff.
Speaker 2: She doesn't stop, really she doesn't, but I do actually do. In between records, we don't really talk.
Speaker 3: I used to talk so much now I think I took fifty percent less, if not more.
Speaker 1: How many podcasts did I used to do? Too many?
Speaker 3: How many online little like learning things?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 3: Everyone, look at this thing I learned. Let me teach you or what I learned.
Speaker 2: Now, I want to try and diagnose you. Something's going on When I try and explain you to people, I don't get it. What's happening so much?
Speaker 1: What's going on? Babe? You do so much? Yeah, it's feeling.
Speaker 2: It's wild doctor irregular sleeping patterns for sure, which is a flag of something you have racing mind?
Speaker 1: Yes, so many thoughts.
Speaker 2: It's not adhd or at least it's not traditional presenting highly functioning.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe I'm not. Maybe I'm just masking it all very well.
Speaker 1: Maybe you're just manic.
Speaker 3: I don't think i'm that manic. I'm pretty like, what's the last cooked thing I've done? I haven't done a cooked thing in a while.
Speaker 1: The feet stuff.
Speaker 2: When I was in Bali last week, Mum goes, oh, look at that, showed me your feet with the manicure, which the feet has the eyes manicure.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: She's like, that's discussing now. I don't think anything's wrong with you. I just think you're like very productive.
Speaker 3: That's really sweet, thank you. I'm just a product of capitalism. Yeah, later on we'll be talking about my fellow handmaiden of capitalism, Kim Kardashian. She said that if she had the opportunity to eat pooh every day, if it would make her look and feel younger, that she just might. And instead of talking about that, we talked about beauty standards.
Speaker 2: Literally the best bit about it completely ignored. Sorry, it's just as my brain was trying to compute, Yeah, the concept. I think we had different ideas about the concept always though.
Speaker 1: That's the best thing. I don't think we've had a similar idea in our life. Probably not. That's sweet. And then we talked about Sorry, I was just putting some croc sound effects.
Speaker 3: We talked about sweden Gate, which started off as a raddit post. People found out that in Sweden, traditionally, generally we don't know. We're not there, but it's not customary to feed your guests. When they come over. They'll often wait in the other room while you feast, and then when you're done, you can bring them back in the room. They say, it's not meant to be offensive. It's not because they don't want to feed you, or because they're too cheap too. It's because they assume that you have dinner plans and you have your own traditions that you don't want to be interrupted. We'll see about that stingy.
Speaker 1: Stick around. Enjoy the pod flecks.
Speaker 3: And I know people get really frustrated when media personalities, writers, content creators talk about the Kardashians. But I for one, think they are just a well of content. There's not a day that goes by where one of them doesn't do something that warrants a headline. And you think, by now, with almost a decade, if not more, in the entertainment industry, what could they be saying that could warrant global fanfare? Kim Kardashian said, and I quote, if you told me that I literally had to eat poop every single day and I would look younger, I might, I just might. So many people want to act like they don't care about how they look. I'm not acting like it comes easier or it's all natural. You just don't wake up and use whatever you wake up you use ingredients, the PRP facials, stem cell facials, lasers. All of that is work that came off the back of the fact that people found out that in preparation for the Metgala, Kim Kardashian lost I think it was sixteen pounds, did in a very unhealthy, restrictive way, and she was very open about doing so just to fit into this very small archival Marilyn Monroe dress. And she came out and said, well, Christian Bales done that for his movies. And nobody said that it was too far or not enough. In the same way that he chose to do something restrictive for his craft, I'm doing the same for mine. Why is there a double standard? And I think that is a very cheeky way address what is happening here, because in this instance, I think that what the Kardashians do very often is they skirt around the fact that they have this huge megaphone to influence the way people act, think, do believe, and then play a little bit dumb about it. I think it would make sense if Kim was just like and so what like, I wanted to look good, I wanted to look cute, and I did what was necessary. The double sound I think that would be bad now because I think, in this instance, do you really think Kim said Kim thought as she was getting ready, Well, men do this all the time.
Speaker 1: Actors do this all the time. This is my craft.
Speaker 3: I think it's the retrospective trying to put like almost like theoretical context behind why it's okay is what makes a lot of the critique happen more because I feel like the Kardashians operate in a very superficial landscape it's about looking pretty, it's about feeling pretty. But in trying to justify it, it always kind of gets political in a way that you could you could hold so much power to just say I want to look cute, this one about it or good as opposed to now making it a gendered conversation. And it can be a gendered conversation, but let's talk about that when it matters, Like when the Kardashians are stealing aesthetics of black women, it can be a gender discussion. But then when that's happening, they well, no, like some European people wear braids or have small waists and big butt, not only Black women have big butts, right, And so it's like, I get what you're saying, Kimmi, but do you get what you're saying? Yep, yep, yep, Yeah, I wonder sometimes.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I hadn't thought about the Christian Bale connection. I'm surprised that they pulled that out of thing. If I couldn't have even thought about.
Speaker 3: Whoa it was obtuse it was abstract in the context of beauty standards, We're not measuring women against men. That's not how beauty standards work. We're measuring women against women based on standards that men popularized.
Speaker 2: Because the issue is that she's promoting unhealthy behaviors, is what we're saying. But I think if you use that argument, then everything that she's ever done is problematic.
Speaker 1: Love the chat, Love.
Speaker 2: The chat, And I feel like we didn't touch enough on her eating pooh.
Speaker 1: But I guess that's you're not segment. Somehow we miss that point. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Up next, you're gonna be telling something something about Sweden. Yeah, it seems to be your favorite topic week.
Speaker 3: They're having a terrible pr moment right now in media. It is not looking good.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms on Kita.
Speaker 3: You've traveled a bit, right, like a bit from Bali Ballet.
Speaker 1: You've done the eure.
Speaker 2: Never Europe doing it in September tips hit him in the inbox at rooms.
Speaker 1: Do you really want them?
Speaker 2: Nuh?
Speaker 3: Okay, it's good to know when you're lying. So I've done a bit of traveling in my time. I want to do more. I'm trying to go to places I don't want to call them niche. But let's say if I said I was going to Europe, and I said I was going to Prague. That feels a bit more niche than saying I'm going to London. But I digress. I am fascinated with the cultural norms that exist in different places, because when you're born and raised in one environment, it sometimes comes as a bit of a shock when somebody else's cultural norm is so far from what you could even imagine to be true or real.
Speaker 1: In Ghana, it.
Speaker 3: Is not unusual for generations of families to raise one kid, so you could walk around as a toddler and be like, maybe that is my mom.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe that's my mom who knows.
Speaker 3: They all raised me and that's very normal, Whereas in Australia you very clearly know, like that person is your mum, that person is your dad, et cetera.
Speaker 1: I know, culturally.
Speaker 3: When I was younger, my mom hated the idea of me sleeping over at friend's houses. She was like, I do not know those people. I do not trust those people. I don't know what happens in their houses. She was very adamant that, you know, cook things happen all the time with pairsarents and their children behind closed doors. Did not want to expose me to that which is pretty fair. But recently online this hashtag sweden Gate went viral, and I thought that was very odd because last week we talked about Sweden was in the news because there's an eight year rental weight list if you want to rent a home. If you want to hear more about that, listen to our podcast Flex and Rooms. But sweden Gate was a thread on Reddit, which has since been deleted. Why Conspiracy asking people to share about their experiences and strange social customs visiting other people's homes.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Someone tweeted about their experience as a child playing at their friend's house in Sweden and they were told to wait in their friend's room as the family had dinner.
Speaker 1: What Right.
Speaker 3: Another shared an experience being left out of breakfast after sleeping over at a friend's house the night before, and the post generated so many upfots that people were like, what is going on in Sweden? Basically, what I'm discovering and after a bit of research, is that it is not expected for Swedish people to feed or snack guests in any capacity. So if you were to go to a Swedish person's house and you were hanging out with your friend, you would wait in the other room as a dinner, and then they would come back and get you when you were done. Now, some people say, some Swedish people say that this is like a traditional thing or like it's they've heard of it, but it doesn't happen in their household. But overwhelmingly people like it's pretty commonent enough that people traveling in have experienced that and felt really isolated and thought it was almost like a separate incident, like you didn't want to feed me, not culturally not feeding people. So this Swedish guy weighs in and said, the Swedish thinking goes like this, the other child or the other family who's visiting the Swedish person's home might have other plans for another kind of dinner, and you wouldn't want to ruin the routine or preparations. I don't think it's anything to do with not wanting to feed the other child or because it costs money or anything like that. It's more to do with tradition and wanting to eat with your own family. And other Swedes offer different explanations as to why it's happening from old traditions which put the onus of hospitality on the rich. So Sweden was once a poor country, and so it wasn't expected for them to now extend beyond their means to feed someone where there wasn't much to go around. That feels kind of debunked, though, because there are a lot of you know, generally not rich nation to have a huge culture in sharing and feeding, et cetera. The thing is the Swedes are defensive.
Speaker 1: Sweden is at.
Speaker 3: The best pr of like all countries until two weeks.
Speaker 2: Ago something, because I remember they give people like little babies cuts and stuff when they're born. Do they like they gave men parentally before that was I think yes, progressive.
Speaker 1: In some ways, not in the ways where it matters feed. That's crazy, so embarrassing.
Speaker 3: Part of me thinks, and I don't want to take it to conspiracy town, but.
Speaker 1: It never is gonna not be bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I do want to take it there, but I just have to put the disclaimer every time. But this reminds me of cancel culture, not in the way that Sweden is getting canceled, but in the way that as soon as one slightly unsavory story leaks, suddenly everyone's got stories. Maybe it says something about the way people can textualize social norms, like it wasn't appropriate to speak quote unquote poorly about Sweden or its traditions when Sweden was seen in such a positive light, but now it's slightly more neutral.
Speaker 2: Let's pylon. Absolutely, we see this everywhere. It's the pedestal. So odd that they get not from the pedestal. They oh, actually didn't because we'd like want to over things. I think, and I think no one's immune, even countries. And I also think it's like Sweden was considered better than everyone for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hot people do the Americans kape?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But then it's kind of like, are they really getting like.
Speaker 1: Ripped now they're not getting ripped.
Speaker 3: Where I empathize with Swedish people right now is it's really hard to defend culture because we don't know why culture really exists. We just kind of assimilate and we keep a pushing. We don't know why we do certain things in certain ways. We don't know why it's appropriate to eat certain foods, kill certain animals, go to certain places, expect certain things from different genders.
Speaker 1: We just do them.
Speaker 3: And so I could imagine, as like a Swedish person right now to retrospectively be like, oh fuck, like why didn't.
Speaker 1: We feed those people?
Speaker 3: And if you grew up in a household and your parents didn't feed your friends and now you're not feeding your friends, you didn't really think about why. Now I got to think about it a light at once.
Speaker 1: You know what I reckon. It's kind it's.
Speaker 3: Like when you realize. I think it reminds me when people realize their family is racist. They're kind of like, fuck, I don't even know. It's like the inside the house. The call is coming from inside the house.
Speaker 1: What are we gonna do?
Speaker 2: I wonder if these days traditions are broken more easily than in the past, Like I feel like traditions are a thing that have existed for like thousands of years. Like for example, if you and I would have gone out for dinner, I was brought up like in my teenage years when I could choose to pay for things split. Whereas we start going out together, you start pay I start paying back, and then that creates a culture. I think you can actually change your culture in these days and times because you can seek out whoever you want. Think about selfies that was so that was culturally weird as food yourself.
Speaker 1: He's been around them to thousand and five. Yeah, but I remember back then it wasn't it was awkward.
Speaker 3: Can be you're talking about cultural to traditions or habits because for instance, this thing with Swedish people not feeding guests, right, if you, as one person decide to feed your guests, you're hyper individualizing your culture. You're saying, my culture is the some of my actions. Therefore, if I change my individual action, the culture changes. And that's like not necessarily true to some of everybody changing their actions.
Speaker 2: I take a long game approach. I think it does start with one, and I'm hopeful.
Speaker 3: But I think when you say it starts with one, it distances you from change. It starts with one. Does start with you? Is that with your community, your friends, your family, or just like one rogue person in South Ipswich. You made the change, though in ten years time you're like, thank you for much.
Speaker 1: Greg, thank you for making steamed funds on every from the thing that we do now be the change you want to see. You're listening to flex and frooms, Okada.
Speaker 3: All right, So I want to do a bit of an activity with you, through me and with anyone listening I'm going to play the first five seconds of this video. I'm going to pause it, and then you were going to think, keep your thoughts to yourself. Actually, I show your thoughts with me. Then we're gonna keep playing the video.
Speaker 1: You down for that, I'm ready. Great.
Speaker 4: I eat a tablespoon of sand every single day.
Speaker 3: Thought, yep, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know how you do that. Do what eat a tablespoon of sand? Why do you think he does that? Because it hurts?
Speaker 2: Huh machoism You called it machoism?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mean masochism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't speak with all this sand in.
Speaker 1: My mouth so confidently too.
Speaker 3: See, when I first heard that, I thought, gosh, I'm really into fitness TikTok right now because I've been going to the gym right so somehow the TikTok algorithm knows my business. So it showed me like a bunch of weightlifting videos, macros, macro nutrients or whatever. So I was like, oh my god, this is just the trend. Sometimes they're eating sand, and that's really what I thought about it.
Speaker 1: Listen to this.
Speaker 4: Now in the past five seconds, how many different stories of why I eat sand were you able to come up with? This is the perfect example of different biases and stories that our nervous system will tell us. It will naturally fill in the blanks with associations and assumptions to help us better understand context. So when something doesn't make sense in your life, you need to take some mental and emotional inventory to see the stories that you are building. In fact, I don't need sand every single day. Great example, though, to see the amount of stories that your nervous system will produce. Now, the real fun question is most of us, probably eighty five percent, have a negativity bias. Did the stories that you built around me eating sand? Were they positive? Were they negative? It's a really great mental track to see what your system is actually doing because your system typically doesn't rally in your favor.
Speaker 1: Do you love that? I love that? You didn't like that?
Speaker 3: Just me?
Speaker 2: I mean you're always very deep. That's not deep at all. Maybe you're too shallow.
Speaker 1: Well, giving another word, and let's do one. Well, it's with everything right.
Speaker 3: Let's say if I said I really want to watch TV tonight.
Speaker 1: I'd say, you've had a big day, you want to relax.
Speaker 3: Exactly as opposed to she just loves this new show she's watching she's really excited about TV. Oh, she's so stoked to have a break and eat dinner. So what this person is saying is that generally our brains are constantly looking to categorize all the information that we're given, and with the more technologically advanced the world gets, we're just given too much stuff. We are working as fast as ever to try and categorize and process and package up everything we've heard, to the point where we automatically put things in these neat little categories without even thinking about what's influencing the way we think. Why when this random guy says he eats sand I immediately say that makes sense, Like I'm on fit of set up, how much it's rotting my brain that he would just say something, and not only would I perceive him to be truthful and trustworthy, of course I just go with it, right, But the thing that he mentioned at the end is this bias, And I think that a lot of people aren't really aware of the positivity and negativity bias when they're having conversations. So this idea that when I say I can't wait to go home and watch TV, it's the assumption that I'm having a bad day a big day, A long day is very telling because if I don't ever address your bias or address your presumption, you might think I go home every day after a long day, I'm so tired, I'm stress. It can also be said for really basic things like if I look at you as you're speaking and I don't say anything, you think I'm judging you. Every time i'm blank head, I'm like, what's coming up next? How much time do we have? Can we go in this deeper? Can we talk some more? Are you finishing up your sentence and I'm just listening, but you're thinking that there's more going on behind my eyes? Nothing or rarely anything, because I'm a very chatty person. If it's something that I'll say it, and.
Speaker 2: It really shouldn't matter either way. What you're thinking is I should be on my own track.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you will never know exactly. It's a lesson.
Speaker 3: So if you want to do extra research those things that he's talking about. This bias is called a schema, and we all have different schemas about ourselves, about other people, about social environments, about situations, about objects, and so the sooner you can figure out what stories you tell yourself about your self, people, objects, events. The sooner you can like break the circuit.
Speaker 1: Cool, good to unland them if they're a negative schemer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go, psychologists, flick and fos. I'm going to start off with the most ridiculous headline and tell me how it makes you feel. Ridiculous in the sense it's bizarre, not because the contents are ridiculous. Disclaimers are always necessary. Sheep found guilty and sentenced to three years in jail for killing a woman in Africa. In the latest edition of Bizarre News, a sheep has been found guilty and sentenced to three years in jail for killing a woman in Sudan, Africa. It's reported that earlier this month, police in South Sudan took a sheep into custody after attacked a forty five year old woman. It's reported that the ramp repeatedly headbutted her and broke her ribs, and while recovering from the attack, she sadly succumbed to her injuries. Now, that's not the first time that animals have been arrested in history.
Speaker 1: It's happened quite a bit.
Speaker 3: What when, Yeah, Like in the sixteenth century, it was a rooster put on trial because it laid an egg and roosters can't lay eggs.
Speaker 1: But it was a hen.
Speaker 3: It happens misdiagnosis, it's diagnosed it, so this is not the first time, but it still is so bizarre. In that case of the rooster and the hen, I'm pretty sure the rooster lost the trial because it didn't show up to court because it had no lawyer to represent it, didn't know what time it was meant to go classics, tardy for the party.
Speaker 1: Did he get lynched?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure, and I should know because I did a deep dive on this once before. But you know, these old history stories, the records aren't clear.
Speaker 1: What are all those people? How did they live? People in the old days scare me.
Speaker 3: But people now, I think the average person does a pretty poor job of documenting their life, like you don't know what happened last week, Tuesday?
Speaker 2: Kind of nice like that. So I almost dround. I won't stop talking about that. You shouldn't milk it, flex and frooms sex.
Speaker 1: I know that you love to make money. We love to talk about money.
Speaker 2: I think it's a really beautiful thing to talk about because it's crafty, it's kind of like strategic and Lebron James not sure if you're a fan, big basketballer man, absolute icon. He made one hundred and twenty one point two million dollars last year, which means he has become the first active NBA player to be a millionaire.
Speaker 3: And that's with what like through sponsorships, through his signing deal, Like, where is that money coming from?
Speaker 1: Let me tell you. Thanks.
Speaker 2: He's thirty seven years old, which is like ten years older than us. I think of Lebron James as super old.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, like Lebron is he's been around for so long, so.
Speaker 3: Has like Beyonce, but she's also like forty.
Speaker 1: Yeah old, just kidding.
Speaker 2: He has just completed his nineteenth season in the league, and he's the second NBA star overall to join the three Comma club with one billion dollars. He joins Michael Jordan's billionaire billionaire. He joins Michael Jordan, who did so in twenty fourteen, but that was long after his career came to an end. Per Forbes, James is the highest paid active player in the NBA, having earned more than three hundred and eighty five million in total salary from the Cleveland Cavaliers, Miami Heat, and Los Angeles Lakers.
Speaker 1: But Los Angeles Lakers, how else do you say it? La Lakers Lakers?
Speaker 3: They say, you know, Frums is plagiarizing this.
Speaker 1: It's a copy of paste. I never know what the next is going to be.
Speaker 2: The bulk of his worth comes via endorsements and business ventures totally more than nine hundred million, including a lifetime deal with Nike that pays him tens of millions per year.
Speaker 3: A lifetime deal with Nike. I wonder what that looks like.
Speaker 2: And what happens if one day he makes a one to eighty turn and decides all he wants to do is eat McDonald's and.
Speaker 1: Sit at home. He could do that with ease, and now he would stick around.
Speaker 3: And meant, well, yeah, I think the contract exists while he's playing.
Speaker 1: I think it exists exists if he stops playing.
Speaker 3: He could stop today and still be a legend.
Speaker 1: I guess NI line up to work with him even if he stopped playing. Look at Shack very tall. Yes, as basketball players are hanging on by a thread, But how cool is that?
Speaker 2: So I reckon sports people if you go about it cleverly. No, I think there's a lot of pressure actually, especially in Australia on like AFL players, because you make tons of money when you're like ten, and then you retire when you're twelve, and then you don't have a Uni degree.
Speaker 1: You don't have this, or you don't have that. I don't have a Uni degree. Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: I think athletes can pivot into entertainment seamlessly. I think they have a lot more career prospects than we give them credit for. But I also think, to Lebron's credit, very few athletes will ever even have a percentage of what he's made.
Speaker 1: Like, not only do you need to.
Speaker 3: Be so physically gifted to be an athlete that's already the first hurdle, Then to not be injured at any capacity to maintain your career.
Speaker 1: Second hurdle, then.
Speaker 3: To maintain or gain enough notoriety, enough popularity to be worth any kind of sponsorship, because there's a ton of athletes who aren't mainstream popular. Then to be a good business person or to have yourself surrounded by good business people. Then to not being exploited to deals. The odds are zero point zero zero zero one percent one at.
Speaker 2: A billion, so they go Lebron James whip that out in next dinner party and say that you really do know who that is and that you know it's the LA like it's not the Los Angeles like it. Learn from my mistakes is the point of that segment.
Speaker 1: Just the Lakers. That also works.
Speaker 3: Okay, good it a feedback.
Speaker 1: Thank you on the job. You've been listening to the Flex and Rooms catch Up podcast.
Speaker 2: For more, tune in to Kata on DAB or check it out right here on iHeartRadio.