Speaker 1: What do you spread on a toast? Is it avo, is it one hundred percent butter? Or is it a healthy margarine spread? On today's episode of The Nutrition Couch, we deep dive into spreads and take a closer look at what's really in them and what the best choices are nutritionally. Hi, I'm Leanne Wood and I'm Cudburrel, and together we bring you The Nutrition Couch, the weekly podcast that keeps you up to date on everything that you need to know in the world of nutrition and health, as well as spreads. Today we have some new information on booms and bone health. We also have some tuna few to try in the supermarkets, and our listener question is all about colon cleanses and if we need them. But to kick us off today, Susie, we are chatting all things spreads and margarines. I'm going to pass over to you. What is your take on margarine's butter spreads? What do you put on your toast routinely?
Speaker 2: Well, we're having a conversation off air about this and I said to you, I actually don't use a whole lot because I don't have toasts routinely naturally like most people.
Speaker 1: I probably prefer butter.
Speaker 2: But the issue I have is that if I suddenly decided to have an egg on toast with vegemite, which would be where I'd enjoy some butter, I don't have any, and so I end up using I've got a back up kind of nuttlex light I might use for the boy's toast occasionally, but I'm like you, I don't use a whole lot. But the reason I wanted to talk about it today was that I was watching your Instagram, because that's what I do in my spare time. I just stalk your content, and you had posted about olive oil spreads being a little bit misleading, I think because they had a relatively low percentage of olive oil. And it just reminded me to have a discussion because I do probably need to ask clients about what spreads they use a little bit more because it can add up. And if we talk theoretically about what room there is for added fat in the diet, because today when we talk about spreads, we're talking about butter and margarine. We're not talking about nut butters or the sort they're in a separate section. Let's just keep it for sort of toast toppers, and indeed, I'll have clients who might have several lots of butter through the day.
Speaker 1: And when you sort.
Speaker 2: Of hone down nutritionally into how much added fat we need, the average adult only needs about sixty eighty grams of fat per day. And by the time you keep in mind that's got to include oily fish, nuts and seeds, cooking oil, there's not much left for extras. So in general, for most people, you don't need to be adding extra butter and margarine into your diet. It's not a nutrition and nutrient that you need. It's generally just adding extra fat. And certainly you're a million times better to do plain vegimid one hundred percent nutspread or even AVO on a toast nutritionally rather than any kind of process spreads, whether it's butter or margarine. But they are a staple grocery item. Most people will have a spread in their fridge, whether they're doing sandwiches for the kids, whether it is because you enjoy toasting the morning. So I think it is worth a discussion on what are the better types. So as a global statement, ly, and when you go there's about I've just had a quick scan on the woolies online. There's about forty or fifty different ones. It's not small, and in general ninety percent of them are blended vegetable oils. One is not overly healthier than the other. Now, the most misleading aspect for me is that on many it's got olive oil written. But when you turn it over and have a close look, and those labels are tiny, so take your glasses. At most it's about nineteen percent olive oil, and most of it's blended vegetable oil, and nutritionally, blended vegetable oils do not offer anything positively in the diet. If you saw them being made, they're like a gray kind of sludgy oil. They then make them solid and add extra vitamins and colors to give it the bright yellow color, but that's certainly not what they look like. They're one of the most heavily processed ingredients or products in supermarket and they don't add anything positive nutritionally. Now, for example, the one I choose, I choose a light variety because I think it's only about forty percent fat, so it's a lower option. But it's not to say it's good, and I do use it sparingly, and it's not something I proactively add or use in anything else other than maybe a bit of a spread on a toast occasionally.
Speaker 1: Now, when you.
Speaker 2: Look at butter, there is only one spreadable butter that is one hundred percent butter, and that is Mainland. So if you are committed to whole food eating and nutrition, and I happy to clude a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of butter.
Speaker 2: And I remember Raismary Stanton always saying she's still alive and well. But she was sort of the guru nutritionist of the seventies and eighties, and she always said that she refused to use margarine and she would enjoy her piece of toast each day with full butter. And I think that from a whole food perspective, there's nothing wrong with including a teaspoon, you know, really thin in the diet.
Speaker 1: Each day.
Speaker 2: You're adding a bit of saturated fat but not much else, and it certainly won't hurt you. But if you are buying lurpack and you think it's butter, you're being misled because Lurpac is also a blend. There's some butter, but there's also plenty of vegetable oil, which is why it's easy to spread so buying Lurpac doesn't guarantee you getting butter. Mainland is the only spreadable butter that is one hundred percent cream and butter. If you're committed to butter, your best to spend on that, and it is naturally leand more expensive because it's one hundred percent butter. Now, the other misleading thing out there, well not misleading, but controversial, I guess, is that there's several cholesterol lowering margarines on the market, and plant sterols, a molecule very similar in shape to cholesterol, and as such, when you consume two to three grams of it per day, has been shown to clinically reduce cholesterol by as much as ten percent.
Speaker 1: As a dietitian, I have never.
Speaker 2: Been comfortable recommending people add more process vegetable oil to the diet to get a ten percent reduction in cholesterol, because that's quite a lot. You've got to have I think two or three serves of the margarine a day, which is a lot. That means you're adding it to several pieces of bread fat you wouldn't otherwise add in. I can get ten percent reduction in cholesterol using oats, using whole grains using nuts and seeds, using more salmon, I don't need to add more process vegetable oil. But I think it's misleading because there's a lot of them out there, and obviously people do pick them up because they think it's good for them because it lowers cholesterol. But it won't work unless you have the set doses, and you can get plant sterols in hot milk, so use those. That's a much smarter way of doing it. So you know, I think that the preference you have for your spread is personal. If you like to include a bit of butter, absolutely, but make sure you're getting butter and not a blend, which you will still be getting if it's called buttery spread or low pac blend.
Speaker 1: Again, not one hundred percent butter. Yeah, and it's same there with you. I've never really recommended those plant style or margarines because a you're adding in more process vestible oils, but be also to get two to three grams of plant steryl. The dose is like over a tablespoon a day. I'm not going to actively add in more than a tablespoon of margarine into my client's diet because most of my clients with high cholesterol are actively trying to lose weight. Margarine is not filling. I'm not going to actively add in more than a tablespoon into their diet. It has to be daily and you have to have that higher amount to get the benefits of the plant styles. If you're just using a really thin spread, you're not getting the full benefits. It has to be more than that tablespoon to actively get in that two to three gram So I'm like you, I don't really recommend it. And what really spurred me to do that video was for many years we had olive oil. You know, growing up as a kid, I have olive oil spread in my fridge. It was just what my mum bought. She she just thought it was the healthiest spread. And then it wasn't until only a few years ago, really when Mia was born, because I never really use margarine so well, all through my twenties, even my early thirties, I had an olive oil spread in the fridge. I think I've even said very early in on the podcast, I used olive oil spread. That's what I've always used. And then one day I kind of went, you know what, I'm going to read the ingredients just because I think with Mia and all of her nut allergies. Like, I'm really hyper into reading the ingredient label. It's not that I don't read them, but sometimes when I'm busy, I just grab stuff. But now with her allergies, I need to make sure that nothing even has, you know, traces of nuts and that sort of thing in it. So I was reading the ingredients and I was thinking, oh, my goodness, like this olive oil spread's only got seventeen to nineteen percent olive oil. It's not even extra virgin olive oil. It's just olive oil, so you're not getting the full anti inflammatory benefits. And the rest of it is basically made up of sixty seventy percent blendedgetable oils. So I was like, this is a kind of a bit of a con. I was like, I'm buying this thinking that it's a better option, but it's not. And so in the last few years, we've swapped a mainland butter. Now is it a spreadable butter? Maybe maybe not. It is quite hard. But we don't really eat a lot of bread in my household. The girls eat a lot of toast, but we don't really eat bread. And I think it's because they're only still quite small. Like I've got a two year old and a one year old, they're quite small and just bread. From a chewing perspective, it can get a bit gluggy. It's a little bit of a choking risk when they're really little, and so we always do toasted. I've always just been told that toast was a little bit safer. They can handle in their mouth a little bit easier, So we use toasting because the toast is really hot when I'm spreading it. I think when I use the mainland butter, it spreads that a little bit easier. And I know we've mentioned it time and time again, but I can promise this is not sponsored at all. It is just the only real butter on the market that is one hundred percent just basically cream and a little bit of salt, and that is the way it should be. A lot of the different spreads, particularly the margarine ones on the market or the spreadable type butters, have a ton of ingredients. They're highly process If that's what you want to use, that's fine, but I think it comes down to how often you actually use it. And now with kids, and my kids did a lot of toasts, we probably have toast sixty seventy percent of the time for breakfast. We're not a huge cereal type family. We often don't have time to make eggs and stuff, so we do use toast with a lot of spreads. You know. We might do cottage cheese, we might do avocado, we might do nut butters, we might do actual butter. So I'm using a lot more butter these days than I ever previously was without kids, So I think because we are using that little bit more, still only a teaspoon or to a day, but it is sort of a regular thing each week that I am a little bit more concerned about the brand that I do buy, so it is that a little bit more expensive. The other alternative is to just buy a block of actual butter like you would, you know, the butter you buy when you put it into a cake or something that but you just need to let that sit on the bench for a little bit to soften. So it's actually a little bit spreadible. But from a budget perspective and in a whole food ingredient perspective, that probably is the best one. But I do sort of like the mainland one because you know, it does come into tubet doesn't kind of get messy everywhere. You don't really need to leave it out. It is fairly spreadable. That's my opinion. Some people might have another opinion, but that's sort of what prompted me to do that video on Instagram in the first place. And if you're not following me on Instagram, feel free to follow away. The fitness dietitian Susie's page is very simple. Susie Borrol, Dietitian. I probably should have just written lean Ward Nutrition, but I didn't. I went with the Fitness Dietitian ten years ago, and I'm sort of too far in to change my name now, Susie.
Speaker 2: Ah, there's so many things I could say here, I'm just not even going to respond to it, so I'll just leave that with you. But yes, so time to have a look at your spread and see actually how much good stuff is in it. So flip those babies over and have a look.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we are going to be talking about a very interesting piece of dried fruit, which is actually a dried plum, which a lot of people don't realize, but it is prudence. And there was a very interesting I think it was a video on TikTok that originated. Then there was some stories written up in the media and this doctor was basically saying that there's one thing he recommends for bone health and osteoporosis, and it's not dairy and not calcium. Side note, Darien, calcium absolutely fine fosteroporosis. We wanted it's really important, particularly after the age of fifty. But he was saying his video this one thing he generally recommends really really surprises people. And the funny thing was that was prunes. And originally Susie and I were like prunes, like what, like, is he being serious? His videos had over one hundred thousand views, and when you actually dive a little bit deeper into the research, doctor Dinger was really onto something. His name was doctor Peter Dinger. He put up a video and he went, if you've got issues with bone mineral density, eat some prunes. What did you say? His name was doctor Dinger, Dr Peter Dinger. Should I pronounce that right? Dinger? Is that really? Oh? Yeah, I didn't make it up. That's his name, Doctor Peter Dinger. Maybe he says a Dinger like Ginger didn't Ginger. Apologies, doctor Dr Peter. We'll call him doctor Peter Peter. That's safer I feel. Dr Peter recommends prunes. So there's actually some research in Harvard Health that a grease with doctor Peter that prunes are really good for bone mineral density. So there was a study published back in October twenty twenty two, which is still quite relevant. The world of nutrition science moves very slowly, so a study that's t onently two years old is still quite relevant in the American Journal Clinical Nutrition that found that eating five to six prunes a day, so it's not insignificant, you'd have to quite like them helped women past menopause age to preserve bone mineral density in their hips, which also translated to fewer bone breaks. So that's a really really good study. And then the research also tracked down two hundred and thirty five older women and followed them for a year, and it showed that a daily handful of prunes lowered inflammatory chemicals that contributed to bone breakdown. So it saw two hundred and thirty five older women observed for a year, and the research basically suggested that lowered inflammatory chemicals that cause bone degradation. Now, when we looked a little bit more into the research or the nutrition behind this suzi. No one's saying exactly why, but it's believed to be because prunes are quite high in vitamin K. Now, we know that vitamin K, like vitamin D and calcium, plays an important role in bone health. So an higher risk of vitamin K can help to preserve bone function. And we do know that low intakes of vitamin K can actually increase your risk of fractures and lower your bone mineral density. Now, prunes are also good from a potassium perspective, they're good from a fiver of perspective. You know, routinely they offer people prunes in hospital if they're a little bit constipated or they've just come out of surgery to get those bowels going. So prunes are a little bit of a super food in themselves. But I must say I've never heard them recommended for osteoporosis risk. So if you ask someone that is at risk or has a lower bone real density, or has had recurrent fractures, or you know that you've got a family history of osteoporosis, you don't have dairy, you don't have calcium. We have talked about natural ways to increase the calcium in your diet. But I think it's really important to be putting a handful of prunes into your diet as well. But if you have a little bit of senseive tummy, I would potentially just increase them slowly. I think if you go from having no prunes to five or six a day, it may backfire on you come, you know, sliding out the other end.
Speaker 2: So first of all, when you said to me that prunes were dried plums, it did take a second, like, I don't know if I would have got to that.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: We don't often think of it in that context. It is coming up into stonefruit season, which is so good for us nutritionally. I in all how many years have I been a dietitian too many, I have never heard of the relationship between prunes and bone health. So I thought this was fantastic, particularly given that there's a plenty of women who are forty to fifty worried about bone health and they don't like or consume dairy. So I think, yeah, I loved it. I just thought it was something we hadn't heard of before. And we love to bring you that latest research on the nutrition couch. So your gut will be happy, and your bones if you have a few more prunes going in lands. So that's good, isn't it all?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Well, moving on to our product review of the week, and this is act that came to us in an interesting way because we often sort of dork out the supermarket shelves and send each other images of foods that we think could be good to review or or certainly we get ideas and suggestions from our Instagram audience. So always contact us with product questions because you might see things we haven't seen. But I think, is this a dietician who sent us this?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, it was It was just a lovely lady who said, hey, a listener, A listener exactly. Yeah, yeah, And she said to.
Speaker 2: Us, hey, I've got this company with my husband who is making tuna in Australia and it's Australian tuna, which if all our tuna eat us out there, well no, it's really difficult to get.
Speaker 1: If any Australian tuna, well there's none. This is the only brand that is Australian tuna. Yes, so this is.
Speaker 2: Called the brand is called Walker's Tuna and it is about to be released into Woolworths by the time we go to air will be available. And it's the first Raelian albacore tuna that is also preserved in extra virgin olive oil and Leanne and I just had our tails wagging as dieticians because we just thought this sounded fantastic, because we also knew that well at the time that we couldn't get astray in tuna. But second, it's so rare to have it preserved in extra version olive oil. And I'll often have clients talk to me and say, look, I really hate tuna in spring water. Can I get the one in oil? And I'll say yes, but drain it because it's not always the best quality oil. Whereas this is in a little pouch, in a beautiful black pouch, and it's in partnership with Nil Perry. It's got fifteen grams of protein per serve, it's a seventy gram pouch and nutritionally just one hundred percent clean. So it's when I say clean, it means a very no additives or unnecessary things on the ingredient list. So eighty seven percent fish, which is line caught alba called tuna, extra virgin olive oil and some salt. So as clean as clean can be nutritionally very rich naturally fifteen grams of protein perserve ten grams are fat, but a significant proportion of that is coming from good fats, and two twenty milligrams of sodium is actually pretty low for a I preserve fish. So it's a big thumbs up from Leanna and I because yeah, we love to support Australian companies and this is the first Australian tuna available in Australian supermarket, so support them and for you're a tuna eater, great for your crackers or your salads coming into summer. And yeah, big dumbs up from us, Yes sah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it. I do like it, and I love that it's Australian. You know where we can we want to support Australian companies. This is not sponsored at all. Granted, the Lovely Listener did send us a couple of samples for us to try. We've tried it, it's wonderful, but it is not a sponsored segment by any means. We just wanted to show cararies a great Australian product because we feel like our listeners would benefit from it, and we know how easy and portable tune it is. It's very affordable as well from a just a quick protein source. But given that the pack is about fifteen point five grams of protein per serving, I would want my ladies, whether or not they're trying to actively achieve fat loss. I think most women should be aiming for at least twenty grams of protein in a meal. So I would be putting this patch of tuning into a couple of slices of really nice dense grainy bread, because a really nice dense grainy bread will give you five, six, even eight grams of protein as well, that coupled together will boost you over that twenty grams. If I was using in a salad, I would like to see but if cottage cheese or fetter or something in there again to boost up the protein, if not a handful of legumes getting some fire, or getting some carbs getting some protein. So I would be using this with more than just a big leafy salad. I would be adding some things to it to boost up that overall protein intake of a meal as well. But yeah, big thumbs up for me. Can't fault it. I think it's a wonderful addition, and the fact that it's going to be available and wool worse is just great. It makes it really accessible for a lot of Australians as well.
Speaker 2: True, and I've had a look. It's actually seems to be available in a number of Harris Farms, So if you have Harris Farm in your area, that's always a great place to find sort of more boutique products. I'm just trying to find a price on it, because that is obviously a heavy influencer. I would say it's probably going to be more expensive than imported tuna. I've seen one five ninety five in a boutique, so I'd assume it's a little bit cheaper in grocery. So we'll keep you posted on that. But yeah, sometimes you do have to pay a little bit more frustrating products. But if where your fici's sauce is important to you, then you have some more discretionary budget for things like good quality seafood. It's a big thumbs up from Leanna and I absolutely all right.
Speaker 1: And then following on to our listener question of the week, Susie, I will take hold of this one because I've got some strong opinions on it. The question is should you regularly be having a colon cleanse? So if you want to not listen to podcasts right now, the answer is no, absolutely not. I'm a hard no, but I will explain why for those people who would like to continue listening. So basically, coalon cleansers have evolved from I don't know, this ancient theory that the body like poisons itself by retaining waste products. Essentially, that's completely false. The body will remove all of its waste perks, the fecal waste of fecal matter, and so we do not need to coal and cleanse. There is zero scientific evidence, zero scientific evidence to back up the theory that the body needs regular coalon cleanses. What's more like, our digestive system actually gets rid of its own waste material and bacteria. That is a natural process that the body does. It doesn't matter if you've got a little bit of an intol bow, if you're constipated, like the body will get rid of the waste itself. It is far better and far safer if through the diet you were doing higher fiber, more movement will water to get things moving through properly. We don't just want to get a colon cleanse to excrete everything. It can actually be incredibly dangerous because, for one, I've heard stories of people, you know, perforating the bow, putting all sorts of things up there, like coffee, different types of nutrients, just things that probably should not go directly into the colon. And also side notes, these people aren't medical doctors. A lot of them are in air quotes, a therapists of some such conducting these colon cleanses. They are not medically trained professionals. I'm an absolute hard know and colon cleanses. I don't care what people say to try and convince me. I am a hard, hard nun on them. And I have talked to a lot of doctors, a lot of gastro entrologists. They've seen a lot of horror stories from these things. It can actually upset the diversity of the gut microbiome as well. We just should not be putting things up in the colon and trying to cleanse when the body has an in built cleansing system. It's better that we work on the foods and drinks that we're putting in rather than trying to artificially inject other things up the other way. So I'm a strong opinion on this one. It's a hard nun on the nutrition count. I do not believe anybody needs a colon cleanse if you have issues with your digestion, if you have issues with intolerances. I have a team of Nicetritians that specialize in this. We see clients all around the world. Head to leand Ward Nutrition the virtual clinic online. Just google land Ward Nutrition Virtual Clinic. You can see one of my teams and we will help you from a nutrition and a lifestyle perspective. We should not be getting colon cleanses. They can actually be quite dangerous. Do you have anything to add, Susie to my rant?
Speaker 2: I think the best colon cleans is either a big bowl of all bran or a nice rich veggie soup.
Speaker 1: Natural clean, natural.
Speaker 2: Can't go wrong with that, and it's a lot cheaper than a colon cleans Like the other thing with these interventions is they're so expensive.
Speaker 1: They're not cheaper. Yeah, Like, I just I'm too tight to be paying for that. Does I said?
Speaker 2: It'll cost you a lot less to buy some all brand and that's the best thing for your gut if you can tolerate it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I always think it's like when people talk about getting life a suction if you're fat, right, so you think, right, oh, well, i've got this stomach fat, I'll just have it sucked out.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work like that in the body because when you suck out fat, the skin heals so badly because it's lost. It's like structure, and it's just not how the body's meant to function. Like you've got to burn fat off. You can't just suck it out. And it's the same as the colon cleans it just doesn't work like that. You can't just stick some water into turchion up there and give it a wash.
Speaker 1: Like it's just not how things work. So one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: But I again, it's like juice cleanses or that people get them all the time. So I think, save your money, and there's much more natural ways to preserve the body. The body is the ultimate machine. We will never replicate what it achieves on its own, and we're best to work in with it rather than think we know better.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. We have fully functioning most of us hopefully have fully functioning livers and kidneys, and that does all of the cleansing that the body actually needs. And even if you've had, you know, a big holiday, you've had a heavy few weeks of eating, it's absolutely okay. Just getting back to more balanced eating, including more fruits and vegetables, more fiber, more whole grains, more lean proteins, just essentially getting back on track with your nutrition is the only cleanse you actually need. You don't need to be artificially putting anything up the backside or actually putting any sort of cleanse down drinking wise or anything. Just get back to good foundation or healthy eating and that's the only cleanse that the body actually needs.
Speaker 2: One percent.
Speaker 1: Well, that brings us to the end of the nutrition catch for another week. Thank you so much for your support at our new range of products Designed by Dietitians dot com. We have some really really exciting products coming to market very very soon, we hope in late December, if not early January. We're so excited to bring you that. But head to Designed by Editions dot com to check out our products, and don't forget our new book, Reset and Nourish Bird is out in the full book format, but also in the audible version as well. If you haven't heard of it, or if you want to jump online and get some Christmas stocking fillers for your loved ones, check out Reset and nourish Berm. Thank you so much for your support and we would catch you in next week's podcast. Have a great week.