Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of The sit Down. I'm Matt Trolo, a writer for ozopen dot.
Speaker 2: Com, and I'm viv Christie, Australian tennis magazine managing editor. And Matt. Why are we sitting down this week with Jolena Dockicch.
Speaker 1: We're sitting down with Jolna because it's almost twenty five years to the day when she burst onto the scene with her first round win at Wimbledon nineteen ninety nine over world number one Martina Hingis, so we've got a chance to ask her about all her memories from that incredible result and then the career that took off in a golden age of women's tennis. Elena Dockitch, thank you so much for joining us in the studio today on the sit Down. It's great to see you, pleasure, thank you for having me. This is a great time of year to chat to you. I mean, it's always great to pick your brain, given you your tennis experience and career and your involvement in the media now, but we're in the middle of the grass court season, Wimbledon's just about to begin, and certainly when you emerged on tour in the late nineties. Your results on grass were so good so quickly you won twenty of your first twenty four matches at Wimbledon, which is amazing. That's an amazing strike rate. Sounds like you kind of hit the ground running.
Speaker 3: I did well. I first played juniors as well, so I played the year before in nineteen ninety eight when I became junior well number one. I actually played lead up tournaments going into Wimbledon, and then I played Winmweden juniors as well. I got to the Semis, so yeah, I already had a bit of that taste of what Wimbledon was like and what kind of the site was like, and what it was like to play on grass, even though even though I played juniors in Australia quite a bit on grass as well. But yeah, I just loved winmwed and I liked the tradition of it as well. I have to be honest. I like the whole tournament, the whole feel, and yeah, for me, it's just a very special place. As much as Australian Open for me is like the Holy Grail. Nothing beats that, but Wimwedon is right there, right after the Australian Open. There's just it's unique, it's special. There's not a little thing out of water. I loved wearing the white for example, it's not something we would wear. We would wear often to be honest, that you're in all white. And yeah, I liked playing on grass and I liked that kind of it had a tradition. It was so respected. Even the crowd is different at Wilwood and they are a little bit more kind of I would say, subdued and respectful. So you kind of have a whole, very different feel to any other Grand Slam.
Speaker 2: Can you remember that experience of walking through the gates at the All England Club for the first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember it was a few of us with going through with the juniors and it was kind of like wow for me, that's all we kind of hear about when you're growing up, especially in Australia. That was our goal to get to Wimbleden and to get to Wimwooden Juniors and then hopefully to play there one day. Same with the Australian Open for us at home. So it was special. And yeah, I found my footing pretty quickly. I was still on the fifteen, but did well on grass and even one the lead ups going into Wimbledon as well. But it was special. But if you told me that a year later I would make the quarters from qualifying, I wouldn't have believed you. So yeah, I always had a special relationship with grass. I think because of the way that I played, I could use my game to my advantage. Again, lucky that the coaches taught me what is kind of the best way to serve and how to use your slice serve grass to make it kind of skid away as well. And those few little things that you learned from the legends of the game and the greats of the game really helped me early on. And that's why I think I had a big love for playing on the grass, because I've got some really good tips early on.
Speaker 1: You alluded to ninety nine. Obviously the result we're almost twenty five years to the day where you beat Martina Hingis in the first round of Wimbledon, and that well, certainly in Australia your profile exploded after that. Actually remember a story. It would have happened overnight when in Australia for us, and I remember my mum calling down the hallway. She must have woken up before me and It was the lead story on the ABC News that this Australian teenage qualifier had stuned Martine Hingkis in the first round. Matt get up Elainey Docs. I remember that really vividly, and that was that was a huge, a huge result, and what do you remember about it twenty five years on?
Speaker 3: Look? It was the match in a way was almost a blur because it went by quite quick and you're so focused. I already went through a couple of matches of qualifying. I got to the third round of Australian Open just five months before as a fifteen year old, and I actually lost to Martin in the third round. And then we had a practice week going into Roland Garross and she was always lovely and we used to practice together, so I remember I did feel a little bit more comfortable going into this match, but still Martina can do anything on the court that you just didn't know what was coming next. She was so crafty. But I went out there and I had I was on a mission and I knew exactly how I wanted to play and what I needed to do, and I needed to take the match out of her hands. On grass, she would come in a lot. She would also use the drop shot as well, just like I would. But I needed to keep her back and that was the main goal. Take take that match out of her hands, be aggressive, try and dictate those points. And I knew I needed to serve well, not have to hit too many second serves because she would put pressure on me. So I had a very very kind of clear game plan and I was very focused. But I remember walking out on court was very special, but at the same time, you are like a sixteen year old qualified, it's also daunting to play a world number one, right, So I remember that. But then when I got into the match and I started to feel comfortable after about two or three games, and after one of the first set, there was this kind of like shock around the stand, like you can you could literally hear and you know when you're a player and you can just hear people and that feeling and that noise going. It's like a mermaid yeah yeah, yeah, going, oh wow. A qualifier is just taking the first set like as you could feel it as a player, you could feel it. And then when I got on top in the second set, the crowd was kind of extra. I felt like on my side, which I kind of thought, oh, maybe you would switch a bit, which would be absolutely normal. They were very fair, but once you kind of got to the more towards the end of the match, you could see like they were just yeah, I was probably because I looked like I was about ten, but yeah, they were really like excited for me to actually win this match. And when I won, it was just like this raw that. Yeah, I could I could sense or I could feel those kind of emotions still today if I go back and if I go back to court number one of what that kind of sounded like. So we didn't used to have sit downs that sets. It was always on the uneven, so the first set finished on it even so we didn't sit down. You stay on your side. But I remember people were like, oh, like you could hear like you could literally hear people go, wow, what are we watching here? So I remember I could distinctly like feel that and see it on people's faces.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love all the details that you're remembering that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so do I. In two thousand at Wimbledon, you went one better at Wimbledon and you made the semi finals. Yeah, and I just wonder how satisfying that was for you to back up what you've done because a lot of the you know, the way the rankings work, there's pressure to defend points and all that, and you actually went better. Did that feel especially satisfying to do that?
Speaker 3: It did. I had a bit of a after that when wood On quarterfinal. I had a bit of a kind of let's say, growing year where I was now ranked inside the top forty thirty, and yeah, I was playing on the tour, big tournaments every single week, but I was still only sixteen. Just about the next year actually turned seventeen, so I was not actually fully physically and mentally and emotionally ready to be on top in those certain parts of the year and Grand Slams because I had still no experience. So for me, it was a bit of a growing i would say year and an experience year where I had some losses in the first round of Grand Slams, including the US Open, but then I also had some wins as well, and then I had a lot of pressure going into that wind Wooden in two thousand because we used to have bonus points based on players that you beat by ranking, and me alone by beating Martina at a Grand Slam, she was number one in the world plus double points at Grand Slams. Even if I got I think I had to get to the final or something like that to be able to defend that.
Speaker 1: So I knew you'd also beaten ps as well, who.
Speaker 3: Was a top ten player exactly. Yeah, so oh wow. And when you're young, it's all about kind of defending. That's the mindset, and later you learn it's a bit different. So yeah, I had a bit of a up and down up and down year, had some great things, but then had some you know, tough losses as well. So I went into that wind wouldn't kind of yeah, under a lot of pressure. But I was able to get to the semi's pretty much defend all of it. But it was more about the fact that I had another great result at a Grand Slam. I went one further as well, and yeah, it was really satisfying to be able to not just go one better at Wimbledon, but just another proof that I can play at that level, especially on the big stage. I think as tennis players, you want to be able to perform on the big stage just as much as you have to be able to get through those stuff weeks when the tournaments are smaller and they're not covered by the media. You don't have big crowds, and sometimes you play tournaments when not a lot of people were watching, and that's important, but it's also important to be able to deal with pressure and expectation on the big stage like the Grand Slams. So for me that was massive in terms of, well, it's not a fluke type of thing, just for myself as well, my expectations. And I got to a semi final of Wimbeden.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to ask the last bit about Wimbledon. So when we talked about you winning twenty of your twenty four matches and that took you through to three, you played you made the third round in O three and you played Maria sharpover Yes, and twelve months later she won. Yes, And think everybody knew what a talent she was, Like what was she like to face? And yeah, what do you remember? I was tough.
Speaker 3: I remember that match and I wasn't in the best for myself, not taking anything away from her, nothing at all. I still think I played a pretty okay match, decent match against her, but I remember, yeah, she actually overpowered me already a little bit in that match and yeah, I came off the court and I said, this girl's winning Wimbeddon in the next two or three years.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was just unbelievable, and just the way that she played. She was very focused and consistent. Her forehands and back hands were like laser sharp, and she had a lot of power. She was tall, big reach as well, and even though she got better with her servant her movement, even at that time, she had incredible accuracy with her cross courts and with her down the lines, and she was really brave with going for it and taking the ball out of the air when she hit good shots. But I was more so i'll tell you this one. So she comes back and she wins, right, But I actually even thought actually in that match that I lost to her, I was like, okay, I actually played some decent tennis. I just couldn't close. Yeah, I couldn't hold my So it was one break of serve in each set, and I was like, yeah, she's playing well. But I'll tell you what. Years later. This was in two thousand and nine, I think after I made that austral Open run, I practiced with her at Wimwooeden. So two days before Wimwoeden. We organized a practice I know exactly which court it was, and we said, okay, we'll practice. We had a hit and we'll play two sets. Right, So I was like, oh my god, now I see even more so why she's so good and why she's won Winmweden and all the other Grand Slams, because it's been a while since I practiced or played against her. I mean, I don't think that there is anyone in the world. And I've practiced with some amazing players and champions and greats of the game like Sellas and Capriati and stephie Graff and Lindid Davenport. I've never faced a ball that comes flatter and deeper and harder, especially on grass, that shoots that way. And I was like, oh, now I get it, like even more so, you know what I mean. But it was amazing because she was We had a great practice and it was actually once at all I was really proud of myself. But it was great because yeah, I just saw she was so focused, just like she is in her matches. It was interesting to see that. So as soon as she stepped on the court, I was pretty focused and intense myself. I like that also, So there wasn't much talking when we sat down. We had a quick drink and it was like a little bit, but it was all about busy. Were out there like to We had a court for two hours and yeah, it was amazing to see exactly what she does in matches is exactly what she does in practice. So it was great to have that experience.
Speaker 1: That sounds amazing and that actually I'm just going to list some of the people that you beat. So we've talked about Hingus, you beat Clasters, you beat Capriati, you beat Venus, you beat Maresmo, Piers, Hennan and Sellers. All of them have won multiple majors. And in that period you got to world number four. That's considered, like I think a lot of people considered this like the golden age of women's tenners. It were so many stars all at the top at the same time, all doing such great things. How proud are you to have reached the top five in the strength of that era? And also what was it like to be at the top in that era?
Speaker 3: Oh, very proud, because some people might say, oh, unlucky or unfortunate, but no, I actually look at it as being very fortunate. Because I got to be on the tour at the same time with his amazing legends, champions of the game. Some of them were my childhood role models and heroes like Stephie Graff and Monica Sellis. All I wanted to do was meet them and practice with them and play against them. That was that was my goal from the age of six, and yeah, I got the opportunity to do that. But with so many other they're amazing players, like you said, from Davenport to Capriati to Hingus to Moresmo, They've all everyone's wan Grand Slams. I've been well number one, and yeah, it's quite quite an error that we kind of went there through. And yeah, it was very very Serena and Venus, very very competitive. But I'm lucky. I think I'm lucky to have been able to experience that, to know those players, to play against them, and just to have that experience on tour. Some of them are my friends still today. And yeah, I still highlight though that I'm very fortunate to have been able to practice and play against Stephie and Monica. That was my goal as a child, and I got to do that, and I've got to talk to them and yeah, have some great matches against them, especially in Monica because she retired a little bit later than Stephie, and we had some great matches and that was amazing. As much as I hated to play against them because there were a nightmare of play against, but are still at the same time loved that. It was always I was always very proud to go out there on the court and go, oh my god. I used to watch them. I used to dream about this. There used to be my role models when they were winning Grand slams. I was just kind of starting to play tennis. So it was amazing to be able to experience that.
Speaker 1: And was of all of those names we discussed, was one of them the toughest for you to face. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, Davenport was stuff for me to play against. I never beat her. There was something about her game. We just my game did not match up well with hers. For me. It was a nightmare with a serve and just with the way that she played. Yeah, I still to this day can't tell you why. It just just didn't suit me. I had a very hard time reading her game and maybe we do play kind of similar, but she had a bigger serf, so that was always kind of Yeah, a little bit of a tough one for me. Tough, well, I would say, I would say Serena, and I would say sell Us as well. I had some Sellison, Stephie, two very different game styles, all three of those. So those three would be the toughest in their different ways. Whereas Monica was so intense, didn't let you breathe would take the ball so early. She had the best angles in the world by far, and the most accuracy is Stephie had the bestand off fourhand ever a great serve. The slice was a lot tougher than people think. That thing stayed this slow off the ground, Like you literally had to get your back knee on the ground every single time to dig that one up. And yeah, extremely smart. And then Serena best serve in the world probably ever, that was tough, so you already went into it. Yeah, really on the back foot. It was really hard to break Serena, especially. I played her quite a bit in that really peak era of Serena when she was winning a lot of Grand Slams as well, and just her sheer power and athleticism and physicality. But yeah, I would say those.
Speaker 2: Three, so you had another burst on grass In twenty eleven, you reached the Denbosh final and you pushed she've only two three sets, just after she'd reached the rolling grass final. What was that period like for you?
Speaker 3: That was that bit of a resurgence period from me. But yeah, at the same time, I retired not too long after that with injuries and yeah, with a resurgery, and then yeah, just in general with mental health struggles that I was facing and battling already for ten years. So it was yeah, I wish, not I wish. I think everyone has their own story and there's a reason for kind of our paths, but yeah, it would have been nice to play and a few more times and on the grass, but just in general on the tour, because I had no plans of retiring yet. That was only twenty nine when I retired, so yeah, that was something for me that I had to navigate. But it was great. HERTG and Bosh was amazing. I used to play that tournament all the time and getting to the final was was great. And they still kind of have that old school grass courts where they are fast and low balancing, so that hasn't changed there and in yeah, it's a really lovely tournament, So it was nice. It was really nice to Yeah, to get that kind of result there when I still when I was going through kind of a bit of a tough period and turbulent period, and to still be able to get on the grass and play well was really lovely. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can you describe what it's like to play on center court?
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know what. You're more worried about doing something wrong if you have to, because we used to have to curtsey, so we don't have that today anymore. So I was more worried about that than anything, to be honest. So when we were told that, I know it's quite simple, but I was like, where do I look? We both so where the players are as looking at each other? Do we turn now together? Because it was like on the service line, between a service line and the net, when you're walking on that side. Where do we look? Who is there? How do we curtsy? Smile? It was like this whole thing. And I did it for the first time when I was when I was sixteen, so that was kind of very special at the same time as well, and you pretty much always when you were on center called there's someone from in the Royal watching. So yeah, it's special. I really find the walk from the locker room to center Court amazing and it's the longest walk we have, and it's just it just speaks for itself. Where you go through the corridors and the big windows are there where you see a big part of Wimwood, and then you get to the members area. Then there's all of the different stories and trophies in the glass what do you call them those glasses, yeah, cabinets. Yeah, then you just when you get to that area before you walk out, it's just special. It's just yeah, that role Swatch will never get out of my head. Yeah. And the wood it's all in wood as well, so it's very different. And then there's obviously the green that goes with Windwood, and but then yeah, it's special to walk onto that grass because it's almost like, yeah, it's very different to walk onto Center Court at Windward and then even caught one or even any other court, you kind of walk onto it from a from a bit of a cement surface onto it and then you kind of go, ah, Windwood and Center Court. I don't know. That's how I always felt, and yeah, it's different, it's I love the number one court, but center court is obviously bigger. I like how the player boxes are. Yeah, I don't know. I just it's special every I think for everyone. Different tournaments or different Grand Slams are special for me. Austraight and open and Rod Label, you know, special for different reasons. But this is just unique. And the treaty. I can never go past wearing white. That that's just we just never do that. We would never wear white or pick to wear white, or neither would our sponsors. So you just, yeah, everything kind of comes together. But I love that walk, and especially in that second week, that's where you kind of know, okay, all eyes are on us. Now this is a special moment and no matter what happens, you know, you've been in a second week of Wimbledon and you've been in a quarterfinal, semifinal, so it's always special.
Speaker 2: We are in an Olympic. Yeah, and that was another great result for you. You reached the metal rounds at Sydney in two thousand. What do you remember about that time?
Speaker 3: I loved my experience at the Sydney Olympics. It was great. To this day, I always it's the best, best two weeks. I had. It was amazing. It's something special we don't have. No sport has anything like it. It's so different to be a part of such a massive team, not just in your own kind of sport, but the whole country. And there is no other event that's going where you're going to feel and want to play for your country more than that. It's not for you, it's all of that pride. And for me, I remember getting my tops and having Australia written at the back. That was amazing, and yeah, it will stay with me forever. I still have my backpack from the Sydney Olympics in two thousand and Yeah, it was amazing. I just missed out and yeah, but still it's the sell Us in the playoff for that bronze. But yeah, it stays with you as something very special. And I know that we as tennis players, we have Grand Slams and that's our focus and we are maybe not as much reliant like maybe swimming or some other sports on Olympics and events like that. But at the same time I know that every single tennis player and I know I was, there is so much pride with it. There is no ifs or nos. It's even if you are on one leg but you somehow can get on the court and play, you go and you just go and you give two hundred percent for your country. I remember I played, and yeah, I was looking at the coaches as part of our team. Leslie Barry was our coach as well, and the other players that would come. I remember Pat Raft came to watch. I don't know if I was more nervous or more I don't know what, but yeah, it was amazing. Though. It's such an amazing experience because we go and we all support each other, and you would never have that to that extent where we're all together other athletes coming from other sports as well, where we bond like that. I love going into the cafeteria every day, I have to say it. It's like huge and you see all of these different athletes, which is exciting, and then the pins that you collect as well, so those things stay with you forever and nothing, nothing can replace that, even though for us as tennis players, we have so many goals with Grand Slams and different things we want to accomplish. But if I could do if someone asked me, I don't know if I could do something or the Olympics. I would say the Olympics, yeah wow, for sure, if I could, if I could go to one more Olympics, yeah wow.
Speaker 2: Elena was so generous with her time there. I just love all the details that she can recall. And yeah, imagine being a teenager having to curtsey to the Royal Box on Center Court at Wimbledon.
Speaker 1: It was I've always wanted to ask Elaana questions like that and I could have listened to her talk for hours more.
Speaker 2: It was great, It was wonderful. We'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down when we catch up with another Australian storm hunter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and in the meantime, you can listen to John on the Team this Thursday on the Aoshow Weekly. Details for how to contact us are in the show notes, and as always, please subscribe, rate and review. See you next week, vib.
Speaker 2: Look forward to it. Mat Hey he