Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 2: If you can hear these words, it means that the phone system is down. We've tried everything to stay alive in this studio. We're running low on oxygen. Can you hear my words? This is the end of the world, The end of the world. Friends, The phones are down. Patsy's done her normal bit of the Queen of positivity on the show. Simply came wondering and went, heads, will have to roll the news the news phone. The news phone was down yesterday, which meant I couldn't call out and get free red carpet to ket to me and my family the bat phones dead heads, well have to wrong? Why were you fired from that job at Gold? One day? The pommy guy couldn't take a phone call, so I had to go.
Speaker 3: The news reader said I had to go.
Speaker 2: She called it head after roll, friends, not just that. I don't know if phrases winding me up. You know, I can't stand to lose a great call story, so phrases texted in here. The only way we can communicate this morning is through smoke signals with you and text messages collect our producer. They can also leave messages on Facebook. That's what you kind of RSL community radio stations do. Come on, we can't be reduced to that. But Phrases has texted in here going I have a seriously funny story to tell you, guys. Phraser, you're making it worse late. Just during that five second jingle, passes five three people they've gone. We don't even know what they do. We might need to rehire them. Pass by lunchtime. But they're being marched out the building right now. How do we cope with no phones? We go old school to snail mail. It's not it's actually email, electronic mail, your late la party emails. Do you know? Was it? Last week on the show we were talking about grandparents claim to fame? Ye? Do you guys know what a game is called Truego?
Speaker 4: It's like a croquet, is it?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I think it's a proper outside like a mallet. You gotta mallet, I think right?
Speaker 2: Okay? Good morning, Christian. My Nana's kind of fat. She was a True Go superstar. She was a champion in South Melbourne True Go Club. She was on television in a show that was either called who said Australian TV isn't very good. Waight up, what's it called? Name that sport or what is that sport? Either name that sport? How do you get half an hour? An hour? And name that sport? Or what's it called? What is that sport? She was very serious about the game. Lots of people men wouldn't even want to play her. The high score you could get was twenty. She would routinely get nineteen or twenty. I love to listen to you guys in the morning, full stop, amusing, full stop. Thank you, Linda.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: From what I can tell Google images, trugo is like a reverse croquet, so you hit it backward through your legs.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, this is from Luke Christian last week on the show. But you're talk about your friend who's bringing his dad's ashes or some of them back from London here to Melbourne. Yes, they arrived yesterday. I saw a picture of his dad's passport photo. I said last week how the airliners said, abstutely fine and bringing on some of your dad's ashes. You just need to bring his passport, even though his dad is no longer physical form.
Speaker 3: And he's only bringing a bit of his dad.
Speaker 2: His dad out, but I'll tell you what he's s a spitting image of his ashes saw and he showed me the photos yesterday. Christian. We used to have a cocker Spaniel called Molly. She was joined at the HIT with my wife and when we moved to Australia, we to try and work out a way to sneak her ashes in and she passed away just we moved out here, but we didn't want the bloody authorities taken away. I don't think the best way to speak about border patrol. It's bloody authorities. I love that Border Patrol show Australian border, but it is great, you know what. You actually just can't work out how people thought this will be no briggie to bring a dead light and Antlerson or something into the country. So we don't this isn't. I don't know if we can read this out. So we sowed the ashes into one of my kid's teddy bears and got the kids to take the teddy on the plan. I can't use your kid as an ashes mule, sir, on the trayer on the plane with us when we moved over. Job done. She still has the Teddy bear on the dress in the bedroom five years later. Not sure if it's weird, but it's up there that the dead dog is still inside in the ashes. That's from Luke Christian. Are you're talking about pranks you played on your dad? Yeah? I still need to get Lois back. She said to me the day, Hey, what happened to this revenge prank? I told you it's just gonna be sad for you. It's gonna be so obvious what you're doing. I need some sort of pranks a planner to get her back. Otherwise it's like I've got no game anymore.
Speaker 4: Revenge is best so cold, though, So I think it's good that you put some distance between her prank on you.
Speaker 2: So wait five years.
Speaker 4: I still do it by the end of the week so we can hear about it on the show.
Speaker 2: Not that long, Kristin pranks you played. We used to have this table in our living room. It's only small, about four foot in length, and it had screw on legs in Everyone mom and dad have a table with screw on legs. Daddy used it all the time for his tea and biscuits. So one day I loosened one the legs while he was in the kitchen taking up a nice plate of biscuits, making a cup of tea after day at work. I heard him coming and I raced up to my room. That's where pranks are best to join from, aren't they up in your bedroom? Waiting for the swearing and chaos to begin. I couldn't stop giggling at this impending doom that was about to befall him. Great word there, Anthony. All I heard was a clutter of cutlery and a series of really loud f bombs, and then another expleted as they came down to see not only tea splashed over the floor, but sadly all the tea had gone onto his poor groin area as well. He was actually holding his groin in crying in pain. But it was still a great prank that comes from Anthony Christian. I get that the tin fall on the top is annoying for Jack. These are ideas to stop Jack's dog from getting up on the kitchen top. But doesn't she jump on the bench first then go up to the worktop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a built in bench seat, so it's actually as long as the bench top. So I guess we could stuck up chairs or something on there.
Speaker 2: But it would you put the tin four on the bench. But still like many years on there, She's not gonna like that. But then you roll it away when you come home.
Speaker 4: So every morning, I mean I get up, We get up a quarter to five every morning. Put some aluminium foil out. Yeah, roll it out too hard, try.
Speaker 2: Christian Harry goes on to say he's got very well behave spaniels. That is a great shut up line for any single guys out. They just go up to a lar and go I've got very well behaved Spaniels. Thank you Harry for your email.
Speaker 1: Look Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three to night.
Speaker 2: We're doing our last movie coup of the year, one of the greatest Christmas movies from the Funniest Man of Live, Will Ferrell in Elf. We've got twelve seats left. Come and join us at the Palace Como tonight. You get Cannabase and Prosecco and our Lovely Company as well and a great funny Christmas movie with Will fell. So what we're doing giving away these last twelve seats is on five top of Tuesday, a Christmas special the last half an hour. The phones have penned down, so we've just rebooted them. The phones are now working so we could take your great stories. So it's an all Christmas special last week of the show this year, it's an all Christmas special today on five Topic Tuesday. Here are the five topics that we're looking for your stories on. You only had it a few minutes. Who's got a sad story? You got that amazing present you wanted on Christmas Day? Within hours it was broken. Jack tell us the sad story about Inspector Gadget.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he had lots of moving part. His neck would extend, his hat would open, but his hand would shoot off like a rocket, and we lost his hand in the bush.
Speaker 3: Never found it again.
Speaker 2: It's a very Australian kind of injury. He lost his hand in the bush. Unique Christmas traditions that only your family have. What are you? Unique Christmas to days that only your family carry out? The toy that got away? What's that toy that you asked for but then you didn't get. They gave you something else. They ignored what you wanted and got you something cheaper or worse. The toy that got away? You still think about it to this day. Who's that guy unwanted or uninvited Christmas guests? And what's the oldest Christmas present you still own?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 2: Despite the the phone's been down, we have had some people been emailed in the show for five to its Tuesday Christian. A couple years ago, I got my husband he wanted a remote control buggy for Christmas, so I went and brought it. It's a very expensive thing. I took it to my parents' house to hire it to Christmas Day and I was showing my dad and my dad said, let's get it out and have a play with it now. So we pulled it out. This thing was really powerful and quick. We were playing with it for about ten minutes and then I had to go and accidentally flipped it over and smashed the bumper. This is amazing. So you haven't even given it to your husband and you've broken it. My dad tried to fix it with glue. We then repackaged it all up. I re wrapped it and on Christmas I handed it to my husband. He went out to play with it, and again the bumper fell off within a couple of minutes and we said nothing, thank you very much, Karen Christian. This is a story about a broken Christmas present. It was all my fault. I broke my daughter's Christmas present. After about ten minutes she opened it. It was one of those Barbie fairies with wings. Just imagine that, right, you're a little girl. And he prayed of getting your Barbie with wings letters let us, let us still, Christian. It was a Barbie fairy with wings. You would insert a plastic pull string and pull it to make Barbie fly. My daughter tried it a few times, couldn't get enough gumption going. I then said, hand it here, you're not doing it properly. I tried to show it how it should be done. Christian'm afraid to say I pulled it too hard. Barbie hit the roof, bounce off the TV stand and broke her wings. Barbie couldn't fly anymore. My daughter was in tears all Christmas day. Dear, oh, dear Simon. All right, give us a call nine four one O four to three lines and now open for the Ald Christmas Special off time five top of Tuesday. We'll take your stories next.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell breakfast Show Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 2: So it's a five Top of Tuesday Christmas special this morning, all stories to do with Christmas, and the five phones are what is the oldest present you still own? Who's that guy? Unwanted or uninvited Christmas guests? The toy that got away? You know, the one toy that you wanted, you asked for, maybe you wrote to Santa for and then what turned up was not what you requested normally for me, a cheaper or crapper version, unique Christmas traditions that only your family do, and you only had it for a few minutes, Like Paul Simon's daughter and the broken Barbie that couldn't fly anymore Christian. I still got Fozzy Bear my first Christmas gift when I was nine nine months forty two years ago. That's incredible. And someone else has still got their Rupert the Bear annuals from nineteen sixty eight and nineteen sixty nine. They'd be worth quite a bit of money. And I don't know about you, Pats, but I found Rupert the Bear one of the most disturbing and terrifying things from my childhood.
Speaker 4: I don't know if we had him out here, did we?
Speaker 2: Oh, you must have done, sort of a strange kind of albino bear in sort of checked pants. And he had a mate with him who was a gnarly sort of twig called Rackety or something used to give everyone nightmares.
Speaker 4: I remember Ruperah, Actually he did come here.
Speaker 2: Did he look at him?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Stuff, No he's not you are you looking at that photo with his twig mate.
Speaker 3: No, he's just a cartoon character.
Speaker 4: A white bear with yellow stuff.
Speaker 2: Albino bear and the red roll neck and the yellow check pants. And then I had a terrifying TV theme tune as well, Ruper Rupert the Bear. He knows your name. All right, let's go to Helen.
Speaker 7: Good morning morning guys, love the show.
Speaker 2: Oh bless you head, and thank you very much thanksgiving us to cool this morning. Which Christmas story are you calling about this morning? House?
Speaker 8: About the unique Christmas tradition?
Speaker 2: Oh great, what's it for you guys?
Speaker 8: So my family, we've always lived on the main road, no matter which house we've lived here. So every year we have a tradition where everyone dresses like somebody has to dress up as Santa for the year. And that's not where it stops.
Speaker 9: So the point is, though, that you have to go out.
Speaker 8: On the main road. You're going to try and make as big as a fool of yourself as you can. You're got to dance around and see how many cars you can get to toot you while you dance along the main street dressed at the Santa. And then it's always bonus points if you can get the tram driver or someone to kind of toot you or wave at you, So bonus points for trams. If you can get more trams, the better.
Speaker 2: Well, I tell you what, it is a nice tradition, isn't it. It's a lot of effoot as well, but I think it's a great idea.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well it brings a lot of cheer to the neighborhood. You'd see the little kids in the car's way started.
Speaker 3: And how do you choose who goes in the suit?
Speaker 8: Well, last year it was my brother, so maybe it might be this year my turn. So we'll have to see how that plays out.
Speaker 2: So if it was me, I'd be tempted to maybe show a different side to Santo and just drop my car stop mooning at people. Go oh god, kids don't see Santa like that. Why Santa vomiting into a bin? All right? Helen, Thank you very much and cool.
Speaker 10: All right, thank you.
Speaker 2: Alana, Hi, hi Nana. Welcome to the show. What's your story for us? This morning?
Speaker 11: We had an.
Speaker 9: Unwanted guest Christmas. Unfortunately no one else would take you uncle, and we've well we've unfotunately got it. And we were sitting down at the Christmas table. So we've been talking and eating for a while. And during the dinner he sent to my sister and said who are you? And she was twenty two. He'd don't know for years.
Speaker 2: Or you can do a whole phone in one day about uncles. I don't think a lot of those stories are broadcast or what. There's something about uncles, isn't There often strange characters uncles slash inappropriate as well. There and a lot of families have got a strange uncle in the mix. Alana, that's a great one. Thank you very much for giving us a call. All right, thank you, thanks all.
Speaker 11: Mary, Hello, Kristin, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good, Mary, welcome to the show and I watch your story first morning.
Speaker 11: Well, our story is that from the late eighteen hundreds, we make my late grandmother's Christmas pudding and we include the old shillings and pens from pre decimal pre nineteen sixty six from Australia. Yes, and you can only use those otherwise they're poisonous. So each year I have to boil them and each and put them in the pudding. My pudding's hanging. Now you have to hang it for six to eight weeks on the hook and then you warm it up on Christmas Day. Now you cut through and you get the coin, but I have to buy it back from everybody otherwise I don't have the coins to keep the tradition going. So it's really fun and it's such a yummy recipe.
Speaker 2: And this has been going on since the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 11: Yes, the late eighteen hundreds. My late grandmother had got it from you beforehand, and luckily that's mum had it written down and I made it a few times with my late mum and I in longhand wrote down all the steps to ensure that I could keep the recipe into its original form.
Speaker 2: What a wonderful tradition to keep alive and do all these generations of your family. Tell me what does it taste like? Because obviously a lot of those older recipes they were using food stuff that they had around a different scarcity. Does it taste nice?
Speaker 11: It tastes so nice. It's so rich with the beautiful Australian sultanas and currants.
Speaker 6: And that in it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's and of course you put a lot of brandy in it.
Speaker 2: That's it, and you step far to it.
Speaker 11: No, no, not yet already when I cook you. If I'm not careful, the alarm goes off.
Speaker 7: So though if I did that, we.
Speaker 2: Would all right, Mary, that's lovely, thank you very much to give us a call. Thank you all right? So the five tours today, if your Christmas stories are, what's the oldest present used to own? Who's that guy I wanted? An uninvited Christmas guest? The toy that got away? Unique Christmas editions that your family have and you only had it for a few minutes. The Christmas toy that broke on Christmas Day?
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell breakfast show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 2: Five to Tuesday. We've done a Christmas theme one today. You only had it a few minutes. About toys that broke on Christmas Day, like Jack's Little Inspector, gadget, Christmas traditions only your family have the toy that got away? You know, the one that you begged mom and dad for, you worked to Christmas, Father Christmas for and then you never got at Your parents got something else in there instead. Who's that guy you've had none wanted on an uninvited Christmas guest? And what's the oldest Christmas present you still own to this day? Any of those? Give us a call nine four one four, one oh four to three before the news they squeezing a few of you. Lisa, Good morning, good morning, Hello Lisa, welcome to the show. Thanks for calling in. Which one are you calling in about? Mate?
Speaker 6: The present that got away?
Speaker 2: Brilliant? What did you ask for? What did you want?
Speaker 6: My brother and sister and I asked for it. Tampoline? What did you And we got a trampoline and we got to the back door and my dad was jumping on it and then did a bum drop and went straight through it.
Speaker 2: I could visualize it. Then the old man, he's had a couple of eggnogs, big belly of Christmas turkey and stuffing, and then the trampoline is no match for Dad. The trampoline quit on the spot and Dad went through a bum drop. As well. So I think he's on the Olympic moves and now they're synchronized. Bum drop, Lisa. That's a great story. Thank you very much for giving us a call. And you're more the welcome to come and join us tonight for ELF if you're around.
Speaker 9: Fantastic, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Great, we see you down there.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Let's got a Sue good morning, Sue.
Speaker 10: Hello, Hi guys.
Speaker 12: Hell are you Yeah?
Speaker 2: We're good Sue. That's the cooler show off you go.
Speaker 13: I've got the one that didn't last too long. A two years ago, we were doing the right thing and bought ol boys those twelve vaults car things that you can herber in in the backyard.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've seen those. They look greatful.
Speaker 4: It's easy one that they actually get in.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, like little Lamborghinis and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 13: And so we did the right thing night before, change the batteries up and everything. The kids were herbing around the backyard and both of them burst into flames. But both.
Speaker 2: This story went quite real soon and then the kids are.
Speaker 13: All right, We're fine. The kids were fine. Kids were fine.
Speaker 2: Yes, yet recall.
Speaker 13: And it wasn't much to recall me.
Speaker 2: I mean I guess they're getting the full driving experience with Lamborghinis. I mean they can be dangerous cars, but that what excitement on Christmas Day? Yeah?
Speaker 10: Pretty much.
Speaker 2: And with the boys, okay, did they find it fine?
Speaker 13: They were quite young. I think they are about five and three maybe at the time age.
Speaker 2: To be trapped.
Speaker 3: In five, they're too young to remember.
Speaker 2: The trauma come back.
Speaker 3: Itself in different ways.
Speaker 13: I'm thinking that's why Weatherson drives like a maniac.
Speaker 2: Now, all right, so that's a great one, Sue. Do you want to come and watch Elf with us tonight?
Speaker 13: Unfortunately I can't. I'm sorry, so please pay it forward?
Speaker 2: Will I pay for it?
Speaker 13: Have an amazing Christmas guys, and.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you very very much, very sweet. Dennis. Good morning, good morning, good morning, big d Okay, wish when are calling it about Dennis?
Speaker 7: I'm telling him about the gift that I never got.
Speaker 2: What didn't you get? What did you? First of all, what did you want? Dennis?
Speaker 7: Well, I was raised in a really strict religious household, and I was asking for years and years and years to get a toy gune, but my parents would never agree to it. And then one day they said, oh yeah, we'll get it for you this Christmas really psyched up waiting for Christmas and then my person came out and it was really thin, unrepped with bloody thinking comics.
Speaker 2: I used to love tinting comics, but it is no toy gun for a kid. And like I said, Thinness, lets you know that disappointment is contained with.
Speaker 7: Yourself.
Speaker 2: For seventy special spike gun that they would try and get on a plane or undetected.
Speaker 7: I can still feel the disappointment, Christians.
Speaker 2: It stays with you, doesn't It leaves a mark on your.
Speaker 7: Soul, never goes away. So enough having to make my own toy guns, and I think they're better than the ones I could possibly buy.
Speaker 2: But that's even more terrifying. A boy that you see playing who's got a homemade gun. Watch that kid, he's on a watch list. All right, Dennis, you've actually coming tonight and have a drink with us and watching ELF.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it sounds like a plan.
Speaker 2: Excellent. We paid it forward. Dennis, will see you down there tonight. Thank you very much. All the great stories are coming through. Christmas Special on five top of Tuesday. Christian and talk this morning about the Christmas Day toy that didn't last long. They got broken. When I was younger, all I wanted for Christmas was a penny skateboard. On Christmas morning, I got the penny board, went to the local park to test it out. I was having a little bit of trouble using it, so my dad decided to show me.
Speaker 3: So much harder than you think to write.
Speaker 2: And how many stories have you got about? And then Dad got hold of it like the Barbie fairy that he just got too much of it, yanked to and her wings flew off. He got on and started moving it, but we just heard about the dad doing the bum and drop and the trampoline, breaking it before his kids could even get on it. On Christmas Day, here goes Sunday. We tried to super glue with this great work, but then my granddad prefers to his car one. Oh my god, it ruined my I was five, Christian. I'm in my fifties. I still still dread Christmas the nightmares of the penny baarning broken twice. You got two sets of fathers, two generations of fathers, Sophie. That's incredible. Kylie has got two stories here. Unusual Christmas traditions One year, my family went to carols by candlelight at the Mayor Music Bowl and it was rained out. The only thing still dry was the contents of our eski, which contained booze and food. So we went home, got changed, and I had a fresh picnic blanket on the front room floor and ate off that. Every year since my now grown up children, this is lovely. Every year since my now grown up children love to set the pink blanket picnic blanket on the floor and have picnic food and watch carols by. It's a beautiful story. And then who's that guy? For dinner? When I was young, my mother asked me to invite the family from across the road. They were quite isolated and deeply religious for Christmas dinner, which was our main sort of roast dinner. I accidentally invited them and at one point, you're in the mill, one of the children in the family started singing Happy Birthday Jesus. My grandmother yelled out, bless him, he thinks, bless him, he thinks it's someone's birthday. Got to know of this kid. All good signs for the rest of the Christmas dinner, and soon my mum was mortified. We've in all being told to be on our best behavior with our religious neighbors. We never saw them again. We invited them around a couple of weeks later, but they refused to come. Kylie, thank you very much. Let's go to Kelly. Good morning, Hi Christian, Hey Kelly, welcome to the show. Which one are you calling in about?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 10: The one that got away?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, what toy did you want?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 10: It was my kids. They were given a giant remote control shark that was inflated with heliums and they took it outside and it floated away and the remote troll did absolutely nothing. But the next day there was a story on the news about a pilot in christ Church that was startled by a giant flying shark.
Speaker 4: Do you think it can really travel that far?
Speaker 10: Possibly because it floated away really really quick.
Speaker 2: Balloons, don't you? They go for miles crossin over there. That's a great one, Ketty, thank you very much. You cool? Thank you by Michelle. Hello, Michelle, off you go. What's your story for us?
Speaker 12: I got the one that got away? Santa got in our children a trampoline, one of those lightweight ones with the net and it was a stormy, really really stormy Christmas morning and went outside to see what Santa has gosh, and the trampoline was gone and it was over. It had gone over the.
Speaker 8: Then into the paddy.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it was all ripped, all the netting results and the youngest burst into tears because you know, he was that was his Christmas present.
Speaker 2: Center didn't bore it down.
Speaker 3: Were the pegs.
Speaker 13: Amateur there, just putting the pegs, But anyway it got patched up and all that.
Speaker 12: But yeah, it was quite funny. He's just completely gone.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Michelle. Thanks for killing him.
Speaker 12: Mane, thank you.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's squeeze one more quarter in Jackie, good morning. Hi, how are you christ I'm good jack and I hope you well. Thanks for giving us a call this morning. So you've got a story about the toy that got away? What was it?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, so many years ago I wanted Amulven bicycle. They were the bicycles that were in at the time, and my dad decided that, you know, obviously money was a big tight so he braked entered Machister's old bicycle instead put new grips and new pedals on it.
Speaker 9: So that was a fiscal I got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you know what. I bet there are so many people who've got stories about hand me downs that were repurposed and regifted, repackaged and repainted to make it look like to a simpler child with the smaller brain, this was a brand new, shiny gift just for them. I bet there are so many people listening to this going yeah, that happened to me most Christmas as well. If you were a younger brother or sister, Jackie, thank you very much, you cat you fantacy coming to Elf tonight.
Speaker 5: Yes, that would be grown. I'd love to bring my daughter with me.
Speaker 2: Please do yep, bring whoever you want. We see down there for a drink and a love tonight.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three