Speaker 1: Hey, Legends, Welcome back to the Mason Cox Show. We've got a big episode ahead of us. Carlton the close game finishers, they're absolutely doing that the last two. We also have injuries go Lore through the IFL this weekend. And lastly, we'll do a bit of a catch up around what exactly is happening with Colinwood at the moment. There's a lot to dish out in this episode, so stay tuned and let's get into it. Okay, let's get into it. It's been a big round. A lot of the started off with a very close game. But before we get into those games, I want to introduce Brendon Cox to the pod, the Man, the Myth, the Legend.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Jeez, real quiet weekend from you this weekend, Mace, No incidents, no nothing, jeez, we're just recovering.
Speaker 1: But don't even get the jumper punch from Brody. I just realized this what am I doing? Jeez?
Speaker 2: He went light on you. I think that was a really good battle, but we'll get into that later on. I want to start this segment back. I'll put you on the back foot because I'm not sure if you've got a clanger, But do you have a clanger of the week for us.
Speaker 1: I'll let you go first on this one. But this is good because you've don't want to just prepar to go.
Speaker 2: I was yelling at the TV all weekend because they told us they were gonna, you know, invest heavily into the goal line technology, and I don't know what they did. In my head, I put a tweet out that I think it's just an extra bloke squinting at the screen inside the hub going like, I don't know, let's just go with whatever he said. But I think the easiest, most like logical thing you could at least do, like do something but like just put a camera between the goalpost and the behind post, Like that's you've already got them between the goal posts.
Speaker 1: Might as well just doublin just had another.
Speaker 2: Two cameras either end, because there was so many moments from the weekend where they're like, was it marked, was it juggled over the line? We don't know what? And then it's like, oh, well, let's check between the goal of posts. Oh okay, it didn't happen there. But I don't know, let's just guess.
Speaker 1: You're complaining here. But they did add a camera this year. I don't know if you knew. Oh God, but this thing comes down from the sky. We're going to talk about how that got in the way this weekend. Actually, yeah, cleaner, we got Clinger this one. I was going to say it was going to be someone else to go on WWE style Undertaker on someone else, but we'll go Channel seven's spider cam is what they call it, that floats through the ether above the MCG. The fact that over the weekend in our game it was in the way and got hit by a football and was decisive and probably whether or not someone takes a mark, so they just played on. It wasn't even like, hey, we should probably stop the game. Something you know, out of the norm probably happened. Now. They just hit the camera and we acted like it didn't go on. We just decided to play through it.
Speaker 2: And I think it was the first time I've ever seen Horse laugh. After the game and press conference, He's just dead serious face the whole way through. And then someone said, oh, did you see the ball hit the camera? And he lit up. He was like, maybe just move the camera higher. Yeah, it was maybe.
Speaker 1: You know that cameras have we could do that that'd be pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Well, zoom is another thing. We'll get into that later in the episode.
Speaker 1: But a lot of just hints off the top. There's a lot to cover, brain, so we'll get straight into We've got Carlton versus Richmond, big game, Thursday night footy, Yes, Thursday Night footy, the you know the classic opening round which is not opening around anymore that we all love, very close game, Carlton getting the chocolates, as you say over, Richmond.
Speaker 2: Got an actual banger. It was a banger to open up I don't.
Speaker 1: Think a lot of people expected it either. I think a lot of people thought Richmond was gonna get rolled. But they put up a hell of a fight.
Speaker 2: I tell you what helped because I thought, you know, it was going to be a bit of a demolition. But Richmond had some handy ins. They got Lynch back in, then Curvis, this young guy, Dusty Martin.
Speaker 1: Martin, it was a little rusty Dusty.
Speaker 2: He came out, he had a couple of well you probably.
Speaker 1: What kicked six and Rusty kicked sixty touches.
Speaker 2: But it was good and they really I would even say that they were looking better than Carlton at a lot of stages in this game. Carlton, you know, did what they had to do and got the win. But I'm sure a lot of Carlton fans were, you know, thanking the lucky, lucky stars that they got across the line. Plenty happened in this one, and we'll start with the sad point because Josh kibb Kiss did his ACL look terrible to it, And I tell you it looked terrible because we got to see it from a hundred different angles. And this is what I'm talking about with the ultra zom because no one wants to see an injury. No one wants to see it over and over and over. But they debuted their ultra zoom, so we get to what the ultra zoom is. You get to see it in slow motion and then it zooms in even further to see the action. And they used it a couple of times to you know, lackluster effect. I think it was lost and came out and did a double spoil and then we zoomed in and just saw that double fish just a little bit closer. But yeah, poor Josh Gibkiss did his ACL and ultra zoom zoomed right in on his knee as we got to see it tear apart in slow motion, and it's something that I believe we do not need to see.
Speaker 1: That's something we all signed up for and said we're going to watch the foot.
Speaker 2: It's quite gross. If you're eating dinner during the foot ere that's something that you definitely don't want to see. But plenty more happened, plenty more injuries for Richmond. Dion Prestia unfortunately did another hamstring.
Speaker 1: Important person for their team, too, very.
Speaker 2: Important and was playing good footy, unfortunately another hamstring. Has got a long history of hamstrings, so he'll have some time on the sidelines. And Tyler Young concussion, something that you never want to see and something that's very serious in our game. But there were some moments we're talking about goal line technology. Nick lost it. It was heath shortest on the game, was right on the line and Richmond were standing up after just being bombarded.
Speaker 1: When they had injuries, They had like less people on the bench. They were going back and forth. The lead was changed that many times in this game, and then you get to this goal and this is like a real deciding kind of you know, this is going to deflat the hell out of Richmond or like it's going to be a bit of a thing that galvanizes everyone.
Speaker 2: And it felt like it was just coming because it just kept building up that like they just had repeat inside fifties and then Charlie Kerner gets it in the goal square and it's like, oh, here we go. He's going to kick this one tier he plays on but Nick Floston is aware to it and chase down tackle from behind and we get a goal review, which is, you know, antic, but we watch it and it kind of looks like it changes direction when it goes past his boot. It's falling in one motion and then it changes direction as it goes past his book.
Speaker 3: Someone touched it almost like he kicked it, almost like it touched his foot.
Speaker 2: I feel like this one it was given in conclusive and then we went on with it and so it wasn't a goal, which was a massive, awesome result for Richmond and Nick Floston. Obviously they didn't win the game, but they stayed in the game for that moment. But yeah, it was a weird one for me. And I don't even know if it was like one of those ones where you're like, oh, it's inconclusive, but it was also awesome from Nick Floston. So let's just pretend we didn't see the ball move in the end because.
Speaker 1: This is going to make the highlight reel. So we'll just make sure that that's not a goal. It's a real like it's a goal saving spoil, right.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like if you watch much footy throughout the whole weekend, I don't they seem so gun shy the poor goal umpires because they were reviewing everything, if there was a gust of wind came through, if there was like some shine gun in their eyes, if it went near the post, if it was in the same postcard as the post. They were reviewing everything. They at least had quick turnover. Yeah, they were going, yeah, that's a goal because it was that obvious when they looked at it on the review that they kept it moving. But you know, there was there was some good moments. There was one where Gorney again it was marked between the goalpost and the behind post and Gorney ran off. He's like, I didn't market I was over the line. He ran all the way down to the wing and then they were watching it on the screen and he saw it and he's like, nah, I didn't. Market stayed on the wing and they were like, Gorney, you gotta come and take the kick. So he jogged the whole way. So we got some issues that we need to work out. But you know who, who knows when that's gonna happen, if it's gonna happen in the off season, because it didn't happen in the one that we just had. Also, nice shining note was Harry two weeks in a row kicked semi accurately. Now, I'm not going to say some people are pretending like his missus didn't exist because his stats say three straight. He kicked three, one out in the fall and then one didn't register a score.
Speaker 3: Smart So if you're gonna miss miss me smart man three straight as well. People want to talk about your accuracy. Do you think that it's clever? It is, it's very Also had seven tackles. That's impressive. That's my season record right there, like for the whole thing compared, Come on.
Speaker 2: Pretty good. Are we going to jump straight into the Collingwood game?
Speaker 1: No, we're going to go to Essen versus All Home. We're going to move to a little bit of a rival game. Here was pretty good. It was a very good game and his first chance for us to seal Jack play Old Guinea, first time out on the mcg in the new colors, which was quite interesting and obviously our first chance to see Esston with all their their new kind of buys or trades you want to say that they've had over the off season, and it started quite hot. We talked about this. I kind of mentioned at the very beginning about the w W E kind of McGraw in Sicily, and oh it was interesting. He got pile driven into the turf. It was. It was an interesting start, I want to say, like to just go after him and then throw him down and then came a little bit of a melee as you'd say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't quite the line in the Sand game where Haymakers were going left, right and center.
Speaker 1: I think that's about as close as we'll get nowadays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was pretty tame. But yeah, Cicily did get a cool little like like I don't know, it was like real leverage judo toss style move on McGrath. But it was very interesting. I love having Cicily back. I feel like Hawthorne is going to be a very very annoying team when they get good because they are packed full a lot of chirpers, but we like to see it. I love love that watching Sicily play. He just brings so much joy and energy to the game. Like even if you love dat him, you still love watching him.
Speaker 1: At least he got some emotion towards IF on it.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, Jack Ginnovan boy, oh boy. He started on fire. He had fourteen touches, two goals. In the first he did the celebration well snap from the pocket, which was cool to see. But yeah, he did go a bit quiet in the second half, and we had cane just popped out of nowhere, like a wild cane appeared, and he started saying that. The second half he slowed down because Guinea decided to wear a long sleeve. It was a hot day, so he reckons you overheated with the long sleeve, jumps.
Speaker 1: On corn, just trying to find something. He's stretched needle and.
Speaker 2: It should go. There's surely there's someone more vulnerable he could go after.
Speaker 1: But why whenever that gets more headlines.
Speaker 2: Pick a first game player or something.
Speaker 1: I think there's a bit of love between them too. He died his hair and everything else. I think I'll give it to Kane, right, like he kind of throws a bit of shade but also takes it at the same time and takes it in stride. So as long as Jack's okay, maybe they've had a little conversation, who knows about like, you know, I'm cool with us, or maybe Kane just doing his ow. He doesn't give a ship but yeah, I kind of like, you know, a little bit of a little answer back and forth, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little back and forth. As long as the time that's if it's a real hot day, wear long sleeping.
Speaker 3: You imagine me in a long sleeve. You know how much material that is? Oh my gosh, it looks real weird. Do you sun screen up if it's hard day?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Always slips offside.
Speaker 2: There's an Actually there was an amazing commentary call. I don't know if it's mad Hill because everyone was getting around Mad Hill being the rash commentator on the block. But it was the Melbourne game and Petrarca had full white face inc just all zinked up, and he said, it looks like Petrarca's hardest enemy today is the sun.
Speaker 3: Wow, I thought that was a cracker.
Speaker 1: Whoever they're playing bring some color some of the stuff. Having stringer four goals.
Speaker 2: Four goals started started hot this season. We like to see that from Jake now. We just like to see if he can bring that every week.
Speaker 1: We always talk about him in consistency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talk about consistency. Perfect segue, Mace because Mason Redmond, now he's playing against Hawthorne. Didn't see if he ripped Paul Guineas head off for the third time in a row. They're not big friends. But he did get a week, yes, for a punch that had hit the chest and slid up and copped him in the face, and he gave a week, but one week earlier.
Speaker 1: George hewittt, it feels like a very unique scenario that's already happened before.
Speaker 2: Didn't get week for a punch that slid up off the shoulder. I said last week on the podcast that you know, no one will get done for this for the rest of the year, because you've got a case in point. You take that, you say, look at this video he got off. I get off. You know, dust your hands. Colt Lawyer would be laughing. They don't even normally they get murderers off. They're walking there with this evidence they get him off, no worries whether they've accepted the week. And it's because between when I went on my rant and this week, the difference is off ball and on ball. See, if you want a king hit someone in the face, Mace little Tip Broton, you just do it at a stoppage, at a stoppage fair game, away from the stoppage, away from the ball. That's a week. So yeah, I just think it's a soft rule if you're going to bring it in an attempt a punch that slides up and hits a person in the face. The differences in both incidents. Hewetts looked like a clenched fist punch that hit the shoulder and then hit him in the face, like a punch to theil wouldn't. Yeah, and then this one looked like he's going to push him in the chest and his hands glance up and he hits him in the face. It looked less of a punch, but he got a week. So I don't know. It's it still doesn't sit right with me.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting one. I think it will end up happening. Yeah. What will end up happening is they'll ban being able to jump to punch. People will band like off ball hitting someone and stuff like that, Like you can block probably someone's run or like impede them in that sense. But I don't think like going in like what we talked about using your kind of like wrist to hit someone in the chest. Yeah, I think two three years they'll be you know, a week or something like that, and like it. I mean you I think like fifteen twenty years ago, you could turn around essentially clock someone in the face like closed face, no one carriage. It's like it's wild to see how much it's changed over you know, a couple of decades to get him to the point now where I don't think they'll be well, there'll be a lot less contact. Let's just say they're going to mitigate that where they can to try to you know, I guess have less head high contact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know you can't escape ultra zoom. If they get you with the oltra zoom, you're done. GWS North Melbourne Blockbuster up there, one hundred and twenty one to eighty two. North Melbourne. It's not that reflective of like North's effort. They were there for the whole game. Unfortunately, Josh Goder young player for North Melbourne did.
Speaker 1: His achilles and it's a long time out.
Speaker 2: Oh it looked terrible too. It was one of those ones he went to push off and just crumbled and oh yeah.
Speaker 1: It's they say your tear. It's like all of a sudden you just like you think like something like you just can't put any like wait on it. He just kind of confused. It's not like instant pain, but it's just like a real weird feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's yeah, you feel for him. So prayers up to Josh Goder. Hopefully the recovery is smooth. Jesse Hogan kicks six.
Speaker 1: Is he gonna win the Coleman this year? He's I mean he's on a fair pace at the moment.
Speaker 2: He's pushing it, isn't he.
Speaker 1: Oh, I just maybe he doesn't get the love he deserves. I don't know, but I think.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of like there's a lot of big keys kicking it, like good goals the year, like good packs. We got Tom Green thirty seven and a goal. He's just he just accumulates that he's good and so big souve. Yeah, played on. Sam Taylor still managed to kick three goals. If you can kick three on Sam Taylor, that's like ten. So Sam Taylor still managed to have a really good game. Obviously, they're both good players. North Melbourne plenty to be excited about. I reckon they've got that many young talented players on their list and you just pair that with Clarko and it'll it has to click.
Speaker 1: At some point. Well, yeah, I think scoring eighty two points away from home at Jobs's home ground, that's good signs. That's good signs for their offense. I think that they can actually produce, right you got you said like he's kicking three. I think like that. Once they get that ball movement kind of sorted where they've kind of somewhat perfected the way they want to put that game plan in, They're going to be a threat, for sure.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to it. I like the those bottom teams coming up. We'll get to West Coast game later because they did not come up. But Geelong versus Saint Kilda close game. Now, this to be a close game. I actually tipped Saints to win, and I thought they were going to. Oh they were looking so good for so long, but it just went against him. Interesting Lielu the clanger, Yeah, Lionel Messi aka.
Speaker 1: Grind Meyer's Lionel.
Speaker 2: Lionel. It was a boot thrower.
Speaker 1: Did you see it? But it was?
Speaker 2: It was very interesting. Who was the Saints ruck Marshall rowand Marshall his boot fell off at the stoppage before hims happened, and he came running over like like a kid to a teacher, hold his boot up, go miss miss can I put my boot back on? And he said, no, no, you can't just go to the rock contest because we're going to ball it in still wasting time. So roand Marshall throws the boot on the ground and this is where it gets common sense, which is like a weird thing that we don't. It blew my mind watching the whole incident because grind Meyer sees that the boot is in the stoppage area, picks it up and just throws it as far as he can. Normally we see this as like a free kick. It's like misconduct, it's like throwing your goggles. Yeah, but there was fine. No, no, I can't imagine because it wasn't a free kick. In the end, so he throws the boot away and the umpire says, look, now you know what go get the boot.
Speaker 1: You made grandmas go get the boot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he's like, oh that makes me so happy. He's like, I'll let rowand Marshall now put on the boot. Now we're wasting everyone's so like Roland Marshall gets the body, his boot back on. No free kick is paid. So that's you know, he went right down the middle and we've just got some common sense and we got the got the rock contest.
Speaker 1: Geez orlder took some extra time to put that shoe on. Just a little breather, you know, maybe get the water person to come over, the little sprits of water, get the towel, rubbing everything else, you know, really drag it out. I mean you might as well. And that's certain circumstance. But yeah, I mean I can see both sides. But if there's a shoe in the contest and I slipped on, wouldn't be too stoked, especially a big shoe by a big rockman, right those things are massive, so big horse big shoes. But yeah, same time, you know you got to throw that. There's a bit of respect. Can have a bit of respect around it?
Speaker 2: Can I ask you something about the like about the rules which I have no idea.
Speaker 1: If you want to ask an American that doesn't, yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because they you're the first porter call for this, so you know when they come over to you and say, hey, Mason, yeah, six six six mate, we're gonna we're doing the six six six. You got a warning.
Speaker 1: Oh the warning thing. That's not awkward because the recommend You're like, I don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what would happen if you know, if you had eighteen players or whatever down in defense and they said, hey, mate, six six six, how long do you have to get in position? After that?
Speaker 1: I think you have time?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Can you just ah shit, I went down the wrong end. I'm a ford, I'm down the Let me get there, and then you slowly walk from one end to the other, and you take about two minutes.
Speaker 1: I think because umpires don't where they want to do this sooner bounce, right, I reckon they'd be quick to pull the trigger for the six six six. Goll go six six six, ball up, ball up, Gotta gotta ball it up. Gotta don't want to bounce. My back's a bit sore, gonna ball up. Everyone called with that.
Speaker 2: Yep, It's just one thing that I thought because normally when they called the six six six, it's it's all already instantly fixed, and then they just bowled the baller. It's wondering how much time you could waste with that. But I don't know. I'm letting that given that to one team out there that wants to try pull the trigger on that one, because I was thinking, if the umpire just goes like, you know what, you're taking the piss here have a free kick.
Speaker 1: But anyhow, there's some kind of rule they've made, who knows you get to exploit it.
Speaker 2: I digress one thing that also annoyed me, and I put this in the rundown just you know, I'm appealing to someone from the AFL. When you have two games on a Saturday night and they both run slightly out of sink and you're sitting on the couch having a couple of cold ones, a couple of Bruskies watching a game, got a bag of Doritos, and you just set in. You got the groove working, and then quarter time break and the halftime break perfectly sync up, so there's no footy. Yeah, why why just stagger the starts of the games when you're going to sync up the brakes, so there's nothing going on, so.
Speaker 1: You can get a refillment of your refreshment I should have, just so you can head to the you know, head to the toilet, break you know, go back to the fridge. Oh, crack open another six pack. Braidon you sit down and go, gosh, how good is commercial?
Speaker 2: If you organized, you can set up your fridge in eyeshot of the TV like I do, so you never have to break I gaze with the television.
Speaker 1: I reckon you would do. You would get the dog that would actually be able to figure itself out to get a beer from the fridge for you.
Speaker 2: It's not that smart. A lot of credit. We'll go through a couple of things that happened in this game. A couple of young players that we always like to shine a little lne On debut Darcy Wilson debut time kicked two goals, and I always loved that because they cut to the family and the crowd. You would have had this a lot. They always cut the filthy fil sitting up there with the brothers and yeah, they cut to the fam up there and they're all celebrating and they get their time on the camera. But he kicked the important goal right at the end that almost won them the game. That would have been a fairy tale. But Oliver Dempsey another one blonde surfer hair. He'd be down at the beach down.
Speaker 1: There very much would love Geelong.
Speaker 2: Oliver Dempsey kicked three goals, which is great. He also had another couple of opportunities like he was popped up all the time. But he also had nine score involvement which is equal most for Geelong, equal with Paddy Dangerfield. I don't know if you know him. A little rag tag, a little ragamuffin down there and gold Kirsty. He gets a couple of kicks every now and then. And speaking speaking up, he got a free kick that was an odd one because we know the ones that field free kick they bring in the no sliding below the knees because dangerous, so you get the free kick. But this one, yeah, it was it was Stoker was coming in and he had eyes for the ball, slid in and won the ball and he was the only one that was ever going to win the ball. Danger rocked up a day late and just need him right in the spine and he got the free kick for below the knees. Yeah. So it was one of those ones like they literally like Stocker was in a bad way. They came out. He was down for a long time that they got him off the ground. And then it cuts back and Danger's got the ball waiting to have a shot of goal. And if it wasn't, if it was anywhere but Geelong, the crowd would have been. But all the Geelong fans clapping him Danger, And why wouldn't you Because he goes back. Later in the game, Danger takes this courageous mark kicks a goal from outside fifty is only Danger could and just gets around him. All the boys come and you know he wins the game as as he does. Jeez, I just don't lose down there, even when you think you got him. And one bloke that goes all right, Jazz Cameron that goal he kicked, so he intercepts the ball, gets it, handballs it.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to do it myself.
Speaker 2: He snakes the one two back because the one two wasn't for him.
Speaker 1: It was it was He knew it was coming back to me.
Speaker 2: He just comes through, picks the pocket and I was going to say it's Buddy esque left foot from the pocket, but it's just Jezz is his own man, and he just kicks his own goals and he jumps up on the fence. Yeah, which is risky. Would you to celebrate you kick a goal in the pocket? Miracles happened, and you run and you jump up onto the fence, boots on the fence and double fist pump celebrate. What's the likelihood you don't do an injury?
Speaker 1: What's the likelihood of me kicking that pocket goal? Probably a million?
Speaker 2: Whatever?
Speaker 1: Oh man, I don't think that's what's going to happen with me, because you got to think with boots, right, the bottoms are plastic, so you're just sliding all over that thing. It's not like it's not rubber. I got no grip to it. Really, you just got the cleats, you know. So danger Hey man, he's not only a freak out there. He might be a freak gymnast. We don't even know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. It was wide because the camera was right there, just looking right up at him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so is it the spider cans in the head coming down?
Speaker 2: It's gone get over to your boys, because they're for one second there they were on top of the ladder, but then they just let Adelaide storm back into the game. Now it's one of those ones where you know dimm has got to be gun love these por look at this, this is easy. Come up here, got this clutch team. They're just kicking goals, winning games. But he just keeps getting out to a dominant lead. And then they just hold on, bang, turn the key off. The ignition's done. Back rest, they drop back, have a snooze, and they let the other team just storm back into the game. And Adelaide, I think they kicked. They had like three four or five goals for the entire game. They get five goals in the last quarter and they.
Speaker 1: Just sixty to fifty four. It was good. I mean, we have to talk about the situation that was the weather this This game was played in the pond like it was not. It was I think it was tough for camera to even get visual of the players because it was pissing down that hole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like in typical Gold Coast fashion, it was there, then it wasn't, then it was there, then it wasn't. It was very torrential rain. But yeah, they got out to a good early lead. Ben King, you know, you can't blame him random He had the night off so he was there, but he wasn't. And yeah, it was it was a good win from the Gold Coast. But he kept cutting the dimmer in the box and he was shitting bricks because it just kept getting closer and closer. And then there was one thing where they rushed the point and to make it the six even. Yeah, that's when you're get nervous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're just sitting there. All those signs that are red or stop or finish the game or in there start going up on the sideline. Everyone starts freaking out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there was one incident. There was an incident in most games this weekend, but Malcolm Roses Junior.
Speaker 1: Jeez, he had a zenidines it on like just head butt got.
Speaker 2: The mouthguard came out like it was I don't know, was it his mouthguard or was it the other guy's mouthguard.
Speaker 1: On the vision it was a bit of someone's. It was someone's mouth guard. But he got a one match band for headbutting the hell out of the other player in Adelaide, And yeah, it was. It was wilde. It reminded me of that World Cup game where z Indians and just got a red card, got pulled off and France lost because of it. It just was interesting. But I think sometimes whenever you get in those little scuffles, you got both hands on the jumper, right, Okay, well, how I go any further? The only other option I have is to stick my forehead into him. Yeah, so I don't know some people, you know, you're getting that little give him a kiss, your own little kiss college?
Speaker 2: Was it? That was a yeah, hodge on hodgy. That's good.
Speaker 1: Gosh, that's good by me with that. Yeah. No, I think, yeah, he'll get one match band, which is pretty understandable for headbutting the show out of someone's head, but.
Speaker 2: One match for head But it's pretty good change, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're worried about concussions. I mean, I think, can you imagine that concussion your own cell or can cussion your own self from headbutting someone?
Speaker 2: Well, you couldn't come back with the lawsuit surely, But yeah, that was good. So Dimmers Sons they were up there, they flipped with GWS so GWS Gold Coast one and two and when they were one and two, I think I don't know what happened. By the end of the round, we don't have the ladder. We're not into that kind of stuff around here. And the ladder's stuffed up anyway because a round zero. But let's not get back into that. Melbourne Western Bulldogs and boy, oh boy, was it the Western Bulldogs of old. God, you got to be frustrated if you're a Western Bulldogs fan, because started well, it was Norton took a mark on Stephen May, who looked lost bewiled. It went back bang, put us straight through the sticks, came out the other side, hugile Hagen, Specky goes back bang. You're like, jeez, Bulldogs, we're on here on and it's their keyboards that they want to see shine. Well, that was kind of about it for it kind of you know, fell off from there. Go on, let me riddle like, riddle off some names here, because you can't be letting these players get these numbers and expect to win.
Speaker 1: That's so true.
Speaker 2: Gone twenty six touches, thirty five hit outs a decent day, May twenty five touches, thirteen marks. So he went as a key back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thirteen marks, twenty five touches.
Speaker 2: He got done once that first two minutes of the game, and then just locked down. He went, no more, kick it to me, and that was about it for Nordo for the rest of it. I think he had one goal, had six touches for the game. So yeah, Jack Billings playing for his new club, twenty three touches, a goal and fifteen marks plan out on the wing. So he was just there by.
Speaker 1: Himself taking the absolute pest, taking the.
Speaker 2: Piss out there talking about no wait, that's Christian Petruca. Don't have a segwe patisserii Petruca twenty nine and a goal and then Clary just to finish it off with a little bit of icing. Thirty five touches and there was a nice moment late in the game where he could have blazed away, kicked the goal. Did the team thing set up? One of his teammates ran off the ground to applause from the crowd, and he got a hug from Goody. So that's all positive signs, all that feel good stuff.
Speaker 1: I saw the vision sitting down with a big smile and grinning on his face. I mean, it probably helps it. You're probably up by forty at that point, but yeah, you know, getting clapped off by your own fans it's going to be a good feeling, a feeling you know, like you belong. So yeah, I'm sure he's pretty happy with the way he played, and Melbourne's pretty happy with the way they dominated on the day. And yeah, they're going to be a tough team to beat out there. Man. They're one of those teams that on when they're firing on all cylinders, especially those players that you just mentioned, it's going to be almost impossible to with them.
Speaker 2: And James Harms, it was the it was the Nut Cup because that's his nickname, Nut James, so it's the Nut Cup. They're all playing for the Nut Cup. But you know, unfortunately his team couldn't get to win. His old team did. Stephen May, he just had a you know, he had a good day, a gripe with him. There was one moment where Harms he got it and Stephen major shit mixed him and then let him know about it, and he's roughing him up and giving it to him. And then later on Stephen May wasn't even involved in it, but Harms got done holding the ball or whatever. Stephen May ran over started shaking him and we got another head butt. Two head butts in the one round head butted him in the face. And I don't like this part when you know, you go in and you're the instigator and then you get head butted in the face, probably because you deserve it, and then you start.
Speaker 1: Going he had it was me, It was me.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but you do what you do. It's ruthless out there. But yeah, the nut's going to get looked at for that one. We're looking at shining, we're looking at silver linings for Western Bulldogs. But we had Riley Sanders out there, which is the prize pick for the Western Bulldogs, and he looked good up until Bevo dragged him off. So that's unfortunate. I would have loved to see him play the full game. But you know, Bevo has his you know, he has his ways with things. We saw hugle Hagen held right back until he got a chance to get out there. But at least Riley Sanders out there earlier but got subbed out of the game. And they still haven't got McCray out there.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting one.
Speaker 2: He said. They're still he's not quite right yet, and they haven't said respect he's not injured or anything. They've said that so he's just he's just plying his trade in the two's trying to get a spot back in the team. Maybe he might get one after this loss. But your boy, my boy, your boy, boy.
Speaker 1: You wonder what you know? I wonder why Melbourne's winning by forty five fifty points. I bought pickets back. He's out there playing, he's off the suspension. He says, let's do this thing. Let's go out there, let's dominate the shit out of This was a snap, I want to say from the corner mate and I was like, this boy is well and truly a star.
Speaker 2: I just like those clinical players that just like get the ball, have half a second and just know where the goal is.
Speaker 1: You just like you see him with the ball and you're like on the edge of your seat, going, I have no idea exactly how he's going to do it, but I know he's going to be able to kick a goal.
Speaker 2: Here. What do you reckon of the bond? Is he okay? He's pretty good.
Speaker 1: He's a pretty good player. I would almost say he's brown low favorite outside of my old body that plays at our team's silky man. And he's like he's a big body too, So he's got like just kind of different dimensions he can bring to the team. And there's one he just picked up his turn goal just casual. It just it almost just looks too easy for him at times. Yeah, not as a freak athlete.
Speaker 2: He's got it. I want him to win a Brownlow. I don't know if he's Brownlow.
Speaker 1: He's got the Brownlow body. I don't know if that's a thing. But he's got like the power in his lager. And you got like the danger field, you got the kneel, you got the Mitchell, you got those that like have a strong little body. Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think he's in the penal. He's got the smooth, silk, slow motion.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say Pendals is busting through packs. I would say he's more going around her. But I think like he's got that physical bill just to get bulk touches and like bulk clearances out of the middle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'll get there, he'll get one. Let's move on to Port West Coast. We're going to as we did with the preview, We're going to do the review pretty quickly because one hundred and twenty to seventy and you well, that's a that's a decent margin. A bit surprising that it's a bit clos it's because Port kicks sixteen goals, twenty four.
Speaker 1: Behind, twenty four behind.
Speaker 2: Oh that's shit footy.
Speaker 1: That is a lot. To be honest, that could have been a two hundred point game.
Speaker 2: I feel like if I'm sitting down to watch any game, you just want to see goals. And if you're sitting there, I listed it down. Finlayson, Marshall, Bergman and Boch combined for zero goals twelve kick just kick a goal, especially the Fords in there. Finlayson and Marshall kick a goal, just kick goals. And you talk about players that are on their team that are just clutch. We've got Rosie twenty seven and two. We've got Butters twenty seven and one. We've got Horny Frank twenty and two. We got Soldo going.
Speaker 1: Over there, big fan of him.
Speaker 3: Fourteen fourteen and two, twenty eight hitouts, two hit out.
Speaker 2: So he's had a good game. But it was all about Harley Reeves. Rewatch, he had sixteen touches. Yeah, he's into it.
Speaker 1: First game, eighteen year old dude, what must say? He's gonna get forty in this first game.
Speaker 2: The pressure on him cheepers.
Speaker 1: I think getting Mike, you know, entrenched in the actual game plan and know that he's your future, and just allow him to have a chance to play his way.
Speaker 2: The problem is they compared him to Juddy, and I think Juddy started with like twenty five and three goals or something in debut, So you know, you've got a lot to live up to if you're going to be compared to one of the best players of all time in your first game. We've got Freeo Brisbane.
Speaker 1: Now upset.
Speaker 2: This was brilliant. Now I'm not saying it's brilliant because it happened to Brisbane. Yeah, I'm saying it's brilliant because coming into it, me included, didn't know where any of Freo's growth was going to come from. Didn't know what they did with their list over the offseason that was going to really change their direction. In the leader, our boy Longie got a contract extension one year. Even that people were saying, oh, one year, it's a token contract extension, but it's a contract extension. They're trying to take the pressure off going in. Well, boy, oh boy, did they deliver. It looks shaky early because I think Brisbane kicked the first five of the game, four of the game, and then Frero just went bang bang bang bang bang, bang bang bang and just piled him on. So it was a crazy game. And Freo actually do have attacking options. They're not this like they focus on their defense. They were getting that right. They chucked Nat five back in the high diddle a little, and they got Gia Miss up front kicking four goals. They got Dick Tracy, he kicked three. Jeeper they were on fire. So it's good to see. And it was the first game they've hosted Round one since twenty nineteen over there, and so plenty was happening over there. There was a few unfortunate things, so Freo we're looking well on top. And then just injuries galore towards the end of the game, which is what you do not want to see. One Brennan Cox playing up forward. He's playing on Harris Andrews. If you don't mind just go up front and just sit on Harris Andrews, would you. Well, he ripped his hamstring. Oh just looked shock. He's had some tendon issues I believe in the past. So prayers up to the Cox gang. So fellas fraternity, we got to stick together, all the Cox boys. We got Carl Warner, he got knocked out in a marketing contest against Link McCarthy, which is, yeah, it didn't look good, and he came on Stretcher took him off. So we you know, prayers up to Warner. Oscar McDonald. Now this is the third of three. They say bad things happen in threes, a lot of oscars. But he looks like he's blowing his knee out too, so jeepers.
Speaker 1: Are getting a bit of a oh jeez, it's.
Speaker 2: A horrific, horrific weekend for injuries and like just real, real bad ones. We always like to end on the little silver lining. So wrong, Caleb wrong. Forty six touches, good number, forty six touches. How many games would it take you to give forty six touches?
Speaker 1: Forty six touches for me about three seasons. It's pretty good.
Speaker 2: And then you know hip Wood Joey d three goals each, so it's not all doom and gloom for Brisbane. They've got they still got the stars out there. No locky kneel, so you know that makes a bit of a difference. But they had Freddy. Just love Freddy kick the sealer on the run from like fifty on the boundary.
Speaker 1: Freddy is the Rochelle of Adelaide. For Freddy is just yeah, Freddy.
Speaker 3: He's just an exciting player. He's just exciting. He's just exciting.
Speaker 1: Backflip. I could just he's just do it every goal if he can do a backflip and whatnot exciting, that's insane.
Speaker 2: Let's jump into the Collingwood game, because we got to look at it at sometime because whatever people were saying about the first game, you know, someone had to win it. This was not as as good this was. I was sitting there watching it on the couchs going, when are we going to do something? I say, we as you know.
Speaker 1: The Royal We as if you're on the field, as.
Speaker 2: If I'm out there. Collingwood's sixty nine Sydney one o two pretty flattering scoreline because Sydney was just on fire to finish the pressure. I've never seen a game where like defenders and stuff trying to clear the ball just kept kicking it to the opposition players. That happened a lot, a lot of switch kicks went straight to Sydney. Joe the Goose out the back. Yeah, you know, Bob's your uncle.
Speaker 1: I think they kicked seven to five from turnover.
Speaker 2: The turnover game was horrific, but plenty to do.
Speaker 1: Set down of this guest to be fun for me.
Speaker 2: Tom starting nice, and so let's talk about your rock battle with Brody, because out of all the areas where you were behind, yeah, the rock and the center clearances were somewhere where you excelled. So you and d C taking on Brody, I would say that you won that battle for the night. And yeah, the clearance has happened. It just I don't know where the ball went after the clearance because it didn't go in your goals. But how was the matchup? How I was seeing Brody again for the first time up there in the Red and white.
Speaker 1: It was good. Actually hung out with him in Sydney after the gb ICE game, so it was kind of interesting to chat to him. And it's always weird playing against your good friends, right like in It's just as rock because you kind of there's so much you know, wrestling and hitting each other and everything else where you would never do that like a normal day to day thing, Like it's such a one on one battle. So no, it's good catch up. And I'm like, you know, he's a you know, playing up there in Sydney. I think it's going to be incredible. We talked about before, incredible opportunity for him. You know, you looked at last week, a lot of people were looking at that matchup between him and Max Gone and was able to execute, And yeah, he's gonna have an incredible year. I think so. And it is weird playing against your friends. I just I still to this day, will never kind of understand it really or like, no, I guess what's the appropriate protocol. I think there are one point I was sitting there and he's up behind the ball. I'm just kind of like grabbing his hip, you know, pulling him back here and there, just kind of like screwing with him a bit. But Brody's a very serious man, right, Like you cross that line and every player is myself included, and it's just like straight down the line, like friendships are kind of out the door. You don't have any small talk. It is just business, right, So yeah, but no, it was it was an interesting little experience to play against Brody. I've trained against him for what seven or eight years in training, so you kind of like know what he does and like know those little kind of you know, tendencies and tendencies, tendencies, tendencies, Yeah, tendencies and stuff around, you know, aerial contests and rockwork and him coming across the center circle as I question Mark, he's gonna do the same thing they did against Gone and how to kind of combat that? And yeah, it was it was fun. I enjoyed it. I always loved playing against him. He's a he's a good fellow and just I don't know, it's a cool story to tell us to your kids, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah kids, Yeah, you gotta have a partner. There was a nice shining light out of it. Finn McCrae got his opportunity out there AFL level and he was great.
Speaker 1: He's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just got his hand on the podle and he was clean. Well, a lot of players struggled with their hands and by foot, but he seemed just really clean and used the first option, just did the small things right. Yeah, So it was awesome to see him out there playing, you know, in the senior side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Craig I think mentioned it in the you know, the week going into it that he was a good opportunity to play and he's been playing you know, above the level of VFL, and it's good to be able to see those people be able to get that AFL opportunity and you know he's trying to make the most of it. So it's good to have those players that come as be able to inject that energy in especially playing that you know scenario of the game where were weren't up by a lot, We needed a bit of positive energy and someone who is desperate for a role within that team, and he came in did well. So it's it's great to see him, you know, get that opportunity and take advantage of it. It's a lot. It's pretty easy to say, it's another thing and got to do it in front of thousands of people, right Like you can sit there and go to a VFL game play really well, but then to move up to that next level of AFL, it really is a whole different ballgame. You know, how quickly the game comes at you, how clean everyone is, how fast everything kind of moves, is a very different experience and level to playing VFL. So it's a credit to him being able to rock up and be able to show what he's what he's got.
Speaker 2: And Shooter, Shooter got his first shoot.
Speaker 1: His first goal. Let's go with me, big fan of that.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Second one a little there's a nice little over the over the shoulder.
Speaker 2: He kicked the second one after the sign.
Speaker 1: He did. Yes, good to see you to get a goal. I think you always had those moments of someone playing their first game or someone kicking their first goal. They give energy into the group. And whenever Shooter kicked it, you know, you get the whole team around you, and that's that's what builds camaraderie, right like, yeah, that's what builds a team culture, and you know, being excited for other people's successes and you know, Shooter being a you know, someone who's quite experienced in AFL coming to the team and being able to have you know, those firsts again at a new club, it's pretty cool. So I'm sure you would have wanted to probably kick one against j Wus and wanting to get his first goal then, but you know, it's awesome to see him get two over the weekend.
Speaker 2: So Schultz kicked the second goal after the siren and the whole team got around him. Now we are used to seeing the fly philosophy in a winning team because most of the time you guys have been winning over the last couple of years. Is that something that's you know, it's it's win or loss, that culture that's preached like to the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't matter. We're talking about going into you know, training after a win or loss and having the same kind of perspective and attitude and everything else going into your you know, getting better every day, you know, mentality with it. So I think like even though we lost the game and that was kind of decided and you kick the goal, like you know, we leave the ground as one, and we kind of come onto the ground as one, we leave the ground as one, and you know, unfortunately it wasn't the result we wanted. But it doesn't mean we can't celebrate people being successful at what they're doing, right, And I think like kicking goals is one thing you look at as you know, how close is how close knit is a group, how many players go to that person and celebrate with them. There's little things like that that really show connection in the team. And maybe it's you know, something that can really spark a team. And I know we talk about, you know, kicking a goal or are spoiling defense and someone picking someone up off the ground. Things like that that really kind of give that team first mentality that we kind of highly value at the club. So if shooter kicks a goal and you know, we're up by eighty or we're down by eighty, whoever it is, it doesn't matter. We all want to get over to them and you know, celebrate with them. So that's kind of I guess the behind the scenes of that experience after the game.
Speaker 2: As disappointing as a loss is, it's great to see that that sticks around, win, lose or draw. Yeah, have you had a chance to kind of dissect what's happening? Oh, went two to start the season. Everyone's on the you know, Collie Wobbles are back where doom and gloom and you know you've got the hangover and all that. The memes are rolling out left, right and center. Have you had a chance to dissect what's going on at the Pies at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think like over the weekend the turnover game, we probably didn't handle the pressure as well as we would have liked. The turnovers killed us a lot of out the backs. It's going to be tough to be able to beat a team whenever they're just getting you know, uncontested marks and the gold square and being able to get golds. So yeah, I think there's there's little things we'll talk about throughout this week of you know, how we can tweak the way we're going about it to be able to best maximize, you know, our impact in the game. But yeah, you look at the opposition too. In Sydney and Wis two very good teams that have been at the top of the ladder for a long time. I mean credit goes to them. The way they played over the weekend was you know, was was really really well put out. And you know, the last two weeks we've had tough opposition we've come up against we've fallen short unfortunately. But you know, I think a bit of the credit goes to the opposition. Yeah, and you know a bit of us needed to get better in certain areas at the same.
Speaker 2: Time, Yeah, because I don't you've got too many good ball users to be using it the way that you are. So you've got to credit your opposition for the pressure they're putting on Sydney's frontal pressure on the weekend was sane. It was insane to watch. Now. I don't know if this had something to do with it, but Chad Warner was out there twenty seven touches, three goals, but he had the Nike t ends on, the boots that were the Nike tens, which.
Speaker 1: Is yeah, I think the triker had him too. Yeah, So I don't know, he's like shoes a. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It adds like a little more speed. I reckon they should pair it with the bum bag and you get the run around there with.
Speaker 1: The bum bag on. But you go the speed dealers too, speed dealers. I know a guy.
Speaker 2: I know a guy, Isaac Heeney. Freaking hell, he's had a.
Speaker 1: He was saking Marx everywhere.
Speaker 2: Now, this is who I'm talking about. He's he's got to be brown though favorite at the moment, if he keeps playing the way that he's playing. He had an awesome game last week this week followed up twenty nine touches too. He's got to be the best out there in the winning side. Day cost thirty seven touches in a goal. Did He's been had a crack? Yeah, So it's good to see now. Yeah, hopefully got a big game coming up against Saint Kilda, which we will get into the preview, but it's going to be an interesting one. Saint Kilda. They're tough as well. You don't have any easy games because then you have Brisbane the week after and they're coming off to buy. For whatever reason, that doesn't seem to line up. But let's not get shitty. Let's jump into an amazing you know, coup for the AFL because we heard about it every second of every game. The broadcast commentators were saying the AFL is going to break the all time attendance record for a single round of football, which they did four hundred and thirteen thousand, four hundred and five.
Speaker 1: Wild that's a lot of people. I mean, it's a croach of the fans for showing up. I think people always talk about you know, I guess society now are going more into the technology, watching at home, you know, watching on the couch and all that kind of scene. But it really does speak or I guess the atmosphere that footy provides, you know, whether it be family atmosphere, whether it be drinks of friends, you know, going to the pub beforehand, go and watch the game coming home. You know, my experience in Melbourne, like there's so it's so entrenched in society here, like footy, like footy is just absolutely loved. And see so many big, you know, audiences over the weekend was pretty cool. And just walking around and like you know, we trained in near Richmond and near the mcg and just seeing how many people and how many cars and the energy around the place. It was. It was cool. It's like that feeling of like, yeah, footy's properly back. You know, people we are excited. They got the scarves and they you know, they're showing their colors and everything else. And four hundred and thirteen, four hundred and five people for a weekend of footy is It's pretty incredible. And it wasn't even the first game for some of these teams. You know. This is like you know a second or you know, second game for some of the teams on the on the list, So yeah, it was it was awesome to see that kind of number. It's awesome to see fans getting out there and being able to experience it live and you know, filling out stadiums because as a player, there's nothing better than playing in front of a big crowd in front of a big stadium. So if we can continue to do that, I just want to encourage everyone go to the footy. Go to the footy, have as many drinks as you would play, maybe don't have as many. Have a responsible amount of drinks. I have the football with your mates, make some new friends, and yeah, just have a good time. That's what's all about.
Speaker 2: Gamble responsibly. One thing I wanted to ain felt really wanted to let everyone know. I don't know if they're insecure about NRL going to Vegas, but I like that it's still warm. It's still warm in the Did you cramp over the weekend, because I reckon I saw every single player on every single team cramp over the weekend.
Speaker 1: No, I don't clock up too many k's. You're real sweaty though, yeah, really, like you know, even last week, you know, and this week too. The bag is a bit slippery, you know. Get to that point where humidity kicks in at night, and yeah, it's it is quite hot for this time, I feel like, but it is enjoyable.
Speaker 2: I mean, like like Jake Lever cramped up and he did that thing like you do the waddle on your heels.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I saw the Carlton Richmond game. They brought up the Telstra tracker to track how many CA's you've been running. It was two minutes into the game and they had crips on twenty two k's. Jeez, jeesus clocking the money.
Speaker 1: It's just full you sain Bolt sprinting.
Speaker 2: You look at those stats and go, should I put that graphic up?
Speaker 1: I don't think that's really if it was like the game Mason comes.
Speaker 2: All the other blogs, Yeah, you must have taken it home with.
Speaker 1: Your screenshot and use that for my profile.
Speaker 2: Thought right, let's jump into the preview because we got some bangers this weekend. Oh yeah, starting with Saint Kilda Collingwood. Now, this is an awesome one. This is the spun for Awley game. It's going to be I imagine it's going to be a special moment for you out there if they do the full blackout, you meet in the middle and do the circle.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Have you even had a chance to cast your mind forward to that game and think about that as a moment before the matchup even kicks off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't really thought about the experience behind it. Yeah, that will all kind of play out throughout the week. But it is an incredible thing. I think we all know, you know, Spud as a as a human that's you know, unfortunately passed and you know what we'd now kind of attribute to him, and I guess mental health and things like that. You know, it's it's pretty amazing what Saint Kildod do on the day to be able to kind of give that a bit of a showcase. It's going to be a cool experience. You know. You talk about that that circle with people and hopefully we do it. And I kind of think about my football career and the big moments and the cool experiences you get to do, and this is something I haven't done before. So if this kind of plans out that way, it'd be a unique perspective to be able to have. That is something that I've been able to live and do. But yeah, it's an incredible, you know initiative they do with it. Credit to Saint Killer. They do a lot of these initiatives. We talked about Maddy Rearwalt Vision. You know, they do that. They got the Easter stuff too. They do a lot of you know, positive things in the community. So this is just one of them, and you know, I think it's pretty incredible that you know, Spot's families are still involved in it and you know want to be able to bring attention to it. So credit to them. It's going to be a good game obviously. You know we're looking to get our first winner of the season, hopefully against Saint Kilda. But they are good. They are good competition right like, they haven't got blown out by anyone. We talk about the ladder being very even throughout and it's going to be. It's not going to be an easy day by any means.
Speaker 2: Ever, at the mcg ross has got them playing good foot, then they're a good balance of defense and attack, especially for a russ Lyon team. We know they're not notorious for their attack, but they're a fast team. They moved the ball so quick, high pressure sling it end to end. So it's it's going to be a good game to watch. Hopefully the right Colling would turn up, not this Collie wobble crap that we've been additioned up. I want to jump into this next game because it's going to be a banger and I want to say my tip off the top Adelaide Geelong Adelaide win this game in Adelaide.
Speaker 1: I agree with you on this one. I think like Geelong had the one over the weekend, Adelaide justin. Yeah, Adelaide lost, but they did have a big comeback there from gold Course and the rain and the wet out let at home. I will take them as a w Yeah.
Speaker 2: They're a good team, exciting team.
Speaker 3: Better for the run for Shelley to kick twenty, ranking to kick twenty.
Speaker 2: North Melbourne versus Frio.
Speaker 1: Is this an upset?
Speaker 2: I just can't. I don't know what they're going to do. I don't know if Freo come over and just play that Freo, I don't know they kill him. But I don't know. I don't I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm going I'm going upset of the round North Melbourne.
Speaker 2: I'm going fre Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't want to say free up, but I just want an excitement of Melbourne.
Speaker 2: When I talked shit about Freo for the whole offseason and then they come out and smash you know, the team that played in the Grand Final last year. I can't just say it, just ignore it. So I chuck it in there, Dick Tracy here, he'll kick another five.
Speaker 1: There you go Sue.
Speaker 2: He'll still He'll still kick five.
Speaker 1: He kicks five everywhere.
Speaker 2: Hawthorne v. Melbourne, Now this one, I know what's going to happen. Yeah, Melbourne's going to kill him. Yep, that's going to happen. Max Gorn, how do you reckon? Max?
Speaker 1: You get over thirty disposals on the day. I think his follow up Rock Workers going to be elite. They we talked about those names that we talked about earlier in the podcast. I think you're you're looking at average of twenty five plus for each one of those. So maybe maybe not May, maybe May. I don't know, who does. I mean he had thirteen marks this week. I mean, who knows. But yeah, I've got Melbourne just rolling over this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are. The players themselves are in hot form, even if Melbourn didn't win the opening Sydney versus Essendon. Now this is I don't know. It used to be notorious with Buddy Frank Franklin just ripping Essendon apart, but he's not there. They got Logan McDonald. Now, they got the Omari Party, so they got a new look forward line sending new look forward line. These guys have been around for a while. They're just it's time for him to step up. Dad's gone. Dad's gone, so you got to step up. But Sidney Vsenon, I aren't not go Sydney up at the SCG.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll go Sydney too. I think I think it'd be a pretty close game. I don't think it will be a blowout. I think a Senem will put up a fight. It's gonna be an interesting one, like Estenem being able to I guess buffer the pressure of Sydney will be the big decider in this one. I think, more than anything, if they can do that well and kick the ball around and be able to to expose them in that sense, which not many people have been able to do, that's their one chance of winning this.
Speaker 2: Oh man, they still got Sydney, still got Mells Parker Adams to come in. Yeah, oh my god, they're just going to get better Bulldogs versus the Suns. Now this is in Ballarat. Love that Like why do that to the Sun? Why like why be like fly here a bus drive out there. It's like, can't you when Melbourne teams take a Melbourne team out there? That's that's where why make I always hate this because they'll pick like it'll be like, oh yeah we've got a Ballarat game.
Speaker 1: Free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fly forty hours over from Western Australia, get on a bus, shuttle out to Ballarat, play out chance comebacks, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: They make it, they make it. They'll probably sit there and go it's going to be sleeping snowing. Rainy and Sonny on the same game.
Speaker 2: Saying that GWS did that exact trip last year and beat him out there get a real disappointing showing from the Bulldogs.
Speaker 1: Who do you go on this one? Suns are Bulldogs. We know where I'm going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm actually going to get on the Suns train. Let's go right riding them all the ways for.
Speaker 1: Man, stop off at McDonald's on the way. Just a little T shirt there.
Speaker 2: Undefeated top of the ladder run, you know, prayers up to the Bulldog supporters Richmond Port Adelaide.
Speaker 1: I love the fact that we're looking at each other like, yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know. People hold out on a boat that Richmond is still good. And they did view this week an awesome effort like on the weekend Lynch another week another you know better for the run he came in you know, you look at like Lynch, how he played on the weekend, you think he came in severely underdone, missed out on most of the preseason. He's been injured for years now. It feels like and he just rolled in and he played so well, that's a million dollar forward. You look at him and you're like, stands up, creates a contest, kicks goals, and he was what you want, so underdone. So it's like a massive credit to what he was able to do.
Speaker 1: So you're saying Richmond winsor.
Speaker 2: Hey, if Port Adelaide kick how they kicked this week, they'll lose.
Speaker 1: Statement I want him to lose.
Speaker 2: If I kick twenty four, I want any team that kicks twenty four to twenty five points in a game, I want him to lose. Because that's boring to watch kick goals. There's nothing worse than if your team wins but they've kicked ten goals twenty ah to lose, lose, lose, lose. Anyway.
Speaker 1: I've got Port Adelaide running over Richmond in this one. We'll get to the next one. West Coast versus the Giant's another absolute banger. Yeah yeah, well yeah, well let's do this how many does Harley Reid get? Yeah, see over red Watch.
Speaker 2: That's going to if you can get over to twenty, if you can get up.
Speaker 1: To twenty, yeah, yeah, I love that. Great. Yeah. Yeah. Okay, who's got the buyers. We've got Carlton who needs to cool down because they've been red hot as of recently. They've been just pulling shit out of there I asked, you know, and polling stuff out of the hat. Just somehow we're actually getting wins. Yeah. And then Brisbane, who needs to heat up because they've had two losses in a row. Say a bit of opposition, opposing experiences they need to have. Yeah, but those are the two that have buys this week for the Round zero experience.
Speaker 2: It's good that they get to buy leading into the Collingwood game.
Speaker 1: I love that. Well that is that is the preview for this week. Man, We've got a review, and then we had the preview and now one of my favorite parts, Brandon are closing comments. Yeah. Now I'll go first. I'll let you have a bit of a think here.
Speaker 2: Now jump on the top of yours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just you did the clanger at the beginning and through end of the bus. So here we go again. Now I learned something today, and I'm obviously not very educated with some of my AFL knowledge. I just want to read this. This is a bit of a google I did because I did a coaching class today. I'm now going to be accredited to be a coach. Can you imagine that? Can you imagine me trying to teach how to play footy? No, no, it's going to be interesting. But anyone out there I was looking for a coach, good point. I just want to be a reck coach and the tallest coach. Right, it's not asking too much part time. Maybe so, I was told by someone that the first ever game of AFL, like officially documented was back in ages ago. Right. It was like outside the MCC and there was like one hundred people and it went for three days. And I didn't believe this. I said, that's going to be bullshit. There's no way in the world that like you have a three day game. I mean, this is not what we call cricket. This is futty. We do not just sit around all day. And I decided to look it up and I'm just going to read this for beatim. The first ever recorded game of Australian football was begun on the tree dotted park Lands outside the Melbourne Cricket Ground, but teams from Scotch College in Melbourn Grammar School POSH on seventh of August eighteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: So a while ago.
Speaker 1: That is a long time. First of all, let's just acknowledge that eighteen fifty eight. I'm not doing the math. After three playing days, the game ended in a drawl, with each team kicking one goal. Each team selected its own umpire. Also, yeah, can you imagine just being like, I want to select my own umpire to throw this thing, and then when you're so shit at it, you only kick one goal and it lasted three days? Yeah, what were you doing for the rest of it? Were you having a tea party in the middle of the ground. How far were the goals that three days? It took from one side to the other to get there.
Speaker 2: They didn't know what they were doing.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's an organized game. I mean, from what I've been told, Scotch College and melmur Grammar prey educated people don't should be able to sort that shit out.
Speaker 2: You know what blows my days is way back then they still would have been cowboys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like cowboys do you reckon?
Speaker 1: They just shoot each other, you know.
Speaker 2: Not that long ago, like footy was happening like a flor well not AFL, but football in some extent was happening. Cowboys were shooting people out in the wild West. That's wild, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think it's one of the oldest sports in the world. Yeah, yeah, and still no one knows about it outside of this country.
Speaker 2: We protect it with our lives at least.
Speaker 1: In or else figuring it out. What is your closing comments, Brandon?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I never really think of one, So this one. I literally talked about Grilled last week, but I have a beef with them because when I go there, right, No, I don't because I said they might like to sponsor us at some stage, which would be great. But this is just a tip. It's just feedback. When I go in there, I'm on the non alcoholic beers. I get the burger, I get the chips, and I get a non alcoholic beer. But they won't let me take it off the premises because it's point zero five zero point five percent alcohol in it?
Speaker 1: Point what? So the same as like listing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I said, like the orange juice would have just as much fermentation and alcohol in it. And they just look at me just like fucking just shut up, just up.
Speaker 1: Just carry off. You can't take you come here every week?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I just I drink it. I scull it in store, which makes it really pointless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and sad.
Speaker 2: It's probably sad. I'm just smashing this. If someone saw me, I'm like guzzling this at zero alcohol beer grilled, just like he's falling off.
Speaker 1: He's really in the dark.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Well that is everyone. Thank you so much for listening. Hopefully you've enjoyed the episode. That was birthday. I did have a good birthday. I didn't want to bring that up, but it was good. I get to celebrate over the weekend. It was the day before the Melbourne're sorry, day before the Sydney Games, so unfortunately couldn't do much. Just had my typical like pregame meal and stuff on the weekend.
Speaker 2: I did you went to Ops?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: Actually, they gave me a little birthday cake. That was very kind of thing. Also very awkward though. I'm gonna end it on this because I had the cake that was delivered to me, but I don't know if you've ever had this experience or anyone out there. You have the sparkler on the cake, right, Yeah, they put it in front of you, and the sparkler is at the very tip and it's burning out, right, But you can't really blow out a sparkler, and you have to wait for it to finish, So you just kind of sit there for about forty five seconds with no real context of what to do, and you just everyone's staring at you and filming you, and then they're kind of saying like happy birthday, and the song ends and it's still sparkling away, and you're like, what do I blow out? What do I do? You just kind of take the sparkler off and just put it on the side and just dig into the cake. I mean, it was a very awkward scenario where I didn't know exactly how to execute the proper etiquette for blowing out a sparkler.
Speaker 2: There was actually a hilarious event where Peter McKenna, very well known famous Collingwood play form a player BT brought him out of cake had a sparkler in it. He tried to blow out the sparkler, couldn't blow out the sparkler, so then he grabbed the sparkler and a burnie's hand, so he dropped it and it went onto the tablecloth and started smoking.
Speaker 1: BT is like.
Speaker 2: Stomping this thing out, and Peter McKennon is just like smiling and like, yeah, happy birthday. I don't know, I reckon. Once you start getting a bit older, you can just start fucking with you.
Speaker 1: You just don't care anymore to you. That's absolutely gold. Well, everyone, we're going to end on that. Thanks so much for listening. Check us out on social media and everything else. We'll be back next week with another review of the Round and also a preview of what's to come for the weekend. But that is it from us here at the Mason Cox Show. Have an incredible day, an incredible week ahead, and hopefully the footy is entertaining over the weekend.