Speaker 1: Gid A Pete, Hell, are you here? Welcome to you Ain't seen nothing yet? The movie podcast where our chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved the movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guests broadcaster comedian Ed Cavally, all below.
Speaker 2: I want to stay here with you.
Speaker 3: Why snake shucked? Why fail?
Speaker 2: It would be happening right so you don't seeing nothing yet?
Speaker 1: Very excited about today's episode, and I'll keep this intro quick for a couple of reasons. One I want to get into the episode. But two I'm recording this intro just into my phone at an apartment I'm staying at in Sydney because we're in Tampa. Peter and a Starcatcher coming soon to Brisbane as well. Book tickets if you can. But the episode you're about to hear was recorded in our studio, so the same quality on this introduction isn't as good as the actual episode. I beg, I beg for your forgiveness. But Ed Cavally is somebody who has perhaps been the most requested guests of YASNY. People who know Ed know that he is a massive cinephile, loves his movies, and it's taken a while for us to negotiate what movie it might be, or just to find the movie that Ed could watch for you and seeing nothing yet we have an extensive list and he's seen all the movies on our list. We managed to get Tony Martin early on for Top Gun. People thought there wouldn't be a movie Tony hadn't seen. Lucky Hume. We also we had on and with with Ed, I thought it wasn't gonna happen. And then finally he sent me a message saying, you know what movie you haven't seen? Eyes Wise Shut. I think might be the only Coo Rick film he haven't seen, so to close in his Cricke collection, He's gotting Eyes by Shut for us today. For those who may not live in Australia may not know Ed. He is a comedian broadcaster radio TV, perhaps now best known for his role on Have You Been Paying Attention? A comedy panel show that he is a series regular. Every week he'll be there alongside Sampang and hosted of course by Tom Weisner. And it is it has become an institution that show. I get to do it a few times a year and it's an absolute joy. People love it. It's one of the biggest shows on Freeware TV, and it's yeah, I'd love going on it and I love watching it as well. But Ed also he has made movies. I've been able to be in the couple of those movies. One big role in the movie is called Border Protection, and scum Bass was another one. And I'm not sure if if I can say this, but I know he's cooking something else up and hopefully that gets up. But yeah, it's a great guy, funny, smart, and I'm bloody stokes to be hanging with him today.
Speaker 3: Hello, im Ed Cavali and my three favorite films are Clerks.
Speaker 4: Everybody that comes in here is way too uptake.
Speaker 3: Still haven't begret if it wasn't for the fucking customers with nail and eye he's had miss weigh fifteen pounds on its own.
Speaker 2: Imagine the size of his balls.
Speaker 3: And life of Brian, my sire, I'm not the Merssiah, I say you are, and I should know.
Speaker 5: I've put it.
Speaker 3: A few but until this week, I had never seen Stanley Kubrick's final film, nineteen ninety nine's Eyes Wide Shut.
Speaker 1: May I have the password?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: For Delia.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 6: That is the password for admit. But may I ask what is the password for the house? The password for the house? Yes, I'm sorry, Hey, I as seem to have.
Speaker 1: Forgotten it.
Speaker 3: That's unfortunate because here it doesn't matter whether you have forgotten it or if you never knew it.
Speaker 1: You will kindly remove your mask. It's nineteen ninety nine, possibly the best movie year ever, and Hollywood's biggest power couple, Tom Cruise and the Cole Kimmen have handed over their lives for over two years to want to Cinema's greatest director, Stanley Kubrick to make Eyes Wide Shut, an erotic psycho thriller that follows Cruiser's Manhattan doctor Bill over a night as he learns of his wife's unfulfilled longing for a naval officer. His wife played by, of course our Neck. As Bill cruises the streets of New York, he has a bizarre running with a grieving woman, visits a sex worker in her apartment, stumbles upon possibly the creepiest costume shop in the world. Hopefully innovation nigains are happening at Lombards, But when he gets up with his old college Pader Nick Nightingale played by Todd Field, who would go on and become a director of considerable esteem himself. It's this meeting that sends Bill into a covert, cult like orgy that will have fatal ramifications for some all the world, testing the strength of his marriage. Based on Arthur Schnitzler's novel tron Novale, written by Kubrick and Frederick Rafia Eyes, Wild Shut will be the Great Stanley Kubrick's final film, passing Away, a mere four days after presenting his cut to Warner Brothers, Ed Cavalley just checking you have the password for to Night's orgy, don't you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I do.
Speaker 1: It's Lombards Lombard and it's a Gleisner's place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, which one? Do you know that in one of Tommy's mansions all the rooms locked from the outside, inside and below. Well, once you're in your yeah, which is what he'll often say, but it comes out because of course he's got his bag egg in.
Speaker 1: It's a hot start.
Speaker 3: Is that what we're here for?
Speaker 1: That's basically this is this is this. It feels like a big day for you. Ain't seeing nothing yet. You were one of the most requested I guess we've had for this podcast. We've spoken about you coming on, and it's just been it's been hard to find a film. I've got a huge list, and most people come back and they go, well, there's so many films I haven't seen. He's a dozen, pick one, and you were like, I've seen them all.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be difficult, but I went through the list and well you were honest. Yeah, Well because Tone was on. When when Tone was on and he hadn't seen Top Gun, I was like, okay, we've got to change the framework a bit to go. And then when I listened to the show and I remember when Rossi hadn't seen Wake in Fright, I was like, okay, I sort of because you know, I listened to the show when Limo hadn't seen with Mail and I I was like, he's going to hate this, and of course he did, and I just remember thinking the fuck is wrong with that guy anyway. But so when you gave me the list, I wasn't trying to be a wanker, even though I am, I've seen them all. And then I went back because but why had I seen them all? People normally know why why have I seen them all, Pete?
Speaker 1: Because because you're no.
Speaker 3: Because I worked in a video store from the age of fourteen to twenty five, So because I was there three days a week, and I have told this story before, but I had two I was very lucky my two bosses, one Pete, who was an Englishman who was a music expert, and my other boss, Rob, he was a film expert. And so here I am fifteen year old kid, just want to play a bit of Super Nintendo please, and can I have a sprite? And why all the curls who come in here who are absolutely stunning, they are customed. The boyfriends that they brought with them were so much more interesting than I was. So I had a choice either be upset about it or go watch a film. So I would go watch a film. And so I would go and try and get like you know, Ernest goes to camp and Operation Jumbo drop and Dunston checks in and I would take them up. And my boss Rob, who was a writer, and he had a film in the video store that he had written. And ironically this is why also I picked Eyes White Shut, because of course I'm working at the video store in nineteen ninety nine and I have a bizarre link to this film which which hopefully will come to But Rob had a film, an erotic thriller that he'd written called Centerfold that when the studio got hold of they took out all of the thriller and turned it into a porner. So the man working at the video store with me had one film that he had written on the shelves, which was a porner, right, which he kept secret from me for years until a customer told me. Right, a customer once he was joking about it with him and I was like, what are you talking me? And he's like, all right, come on, and then he showed me the back of the box with his name, Robert Fogda. Anyway, so the reason I bring out of me. So I would bring sort of you know, shitty movies up to the counter and Rob and Pete would look at the and go you're not taking those, And I go what do you mean? They go, no, you can't watch that. You've got to watch and they would give me a list and they would send me back into the store. They were in news in Sydney, and my three bosses another guy call Dwayne, and they would send me back into the store with a list of good films to watch that I then had to go home and watch and then come back. And so I was forced into this sort of film education by these these by these these sort of film experts. So that's how I've ended up watching sort of everything. And that's why Tony liked me. Because when I first met Tony at the party for Boytown, I was twenty four, and he said, what's your favorite film? And I said, with Nail and I And he says to this day that's why. That's when he decided I was just going to put this kid and get this because he understands because no one says that. So that's sort of that's how it happened. But just quickly. The bizarre connection to this film is so in nineteen ninety nine when the film comes out, so Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman are still married, right, Yeah, they don't break up. People think this film broke them up.
Speaker 1: Two years later, I think they broke up.
Speaker 3: She says many times that they were happily married during this Yep, so it didn't do that. But while they were while this film was coming out. I remember it because in nineteen ninety nine best film movie you ever. So anyway, those films start to come out on video at the end of ninety nine into two thousand so, and I remember very very clearly one day, so there was this weirdness because my boss sometimes would just disappear into the store with the customer Rob. He would just disappear into the store and he would do like a huge like a film festival for them and curate films for them. And here were the famous people that went to this video store. Tony Perrin, John Ibrahim, the last King of the Cross, right, right, and a Kimberly Joseph, and then a number of people who since then I'm meant to know who they are, but I didn't at the time, right, And this happened one day Rob disappeared into the store with this middle aged guy and he came back with more movies than I've ever seen anyone have, Like even the old guys that used to get ten pornos for ten dollars for a week, right, good guys, you did. And you always knew when they finished watching him, because they'd never rewind it. They just stopped where they were. So part of my day with just in the big with this big rewinding machine. You just go, all right, he must have that's a bit. And I'm like, I said to Rob Ones, why am I rewinding these? Why can't people just pick them up from where they left off? You know what I mean? Anyway, didn't They've got other things they need to do, true anyway, and what do he needs seven of them? Like, you can't just watch the end of this one anyway. So they he came back one day with this with they do the more movies I've ever seen in my life. And I was like, that happened, And then it happened again a week later, same dude during the day, sort of in the afternoon, just just you know, not knock about guy. No, no, no, I never thought anything of it, right, And then a year later I see Rob typing out a letter or sort of an email, an early email letter, and he's angry, and I go, what's so, who's that to? And he goes, that's to the studio. I said, the studio, what are you talking about? He goes, yeah, that guy. You know, they always money, they always they was like eighty bucks in late fees and two hundred dollars in late fees for this and two hundred dolls for and I go, okay, who what the guys? Who was that? And he goes, that guy his name is fucking Robert Town. He wrote Chinatown, and he's out here doing rewrites on Mission Impossible too with Tom Cruise, and he fucking knows this money right fucking now. So when I was like seventeen, there was my boss wandering and wandering the halls of the video store, helping Robert Town find movies for inspiration for Mission Impossible. To the bloke that wrote Chinatown.
Speaker 1: That is fucking incredible.
Speaker 3: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 1: That's incredible? Yeah, Robert Town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just wandering And I didn't know. I didn't know till and even then because then that made me watch Chinatown. That's what we think of it. I go, well, he right, he goes Chinatown, I know, I don't know, and goes God's sake here, and I said did, I said, why do you get him to sign our copy? And he's only want to be a fan because he was a writer, So he wanted to be a writer with Robert.
Speaker 1: Town, right, that great is amazing.
Speaker 3: So anyway, the reason I bring that up is because that's what Tom Cruise left this film to come and do in Sydney, and part of the reason they did it there was because he was still he was married to Nicole Kidman, and they coming back here after filming Eyes White Shut.
Speaker 1: And when he's filming Eyeswold Shut, Paul Thomas Anderson visits him on set to offer him the role of t. J. Mackett in Magnolia, which is one possibly Tom Cruise's greatest performance. And then he when he's out filming mission impossible to hear my friend Joel Perlman, who I show you organized organize the first audience, you know, test screening of Magnolia for Tom Cruise and Paul Thomas anders WHOA yeah, and it was even longer than like, And Joel tells me like it was almost like four hours and and people were leaving at some point, and Joel kind of chased him into the into the four and said, oh, you know, can I just get you a bit of feedback you're enjoying it is? Yeah, I love it, but I need to I'm going to get the kids a craation in the morning, you know, baby citizen. So yeah, there you go. So I can't wait to get stuck into iwod shut it's already no, no, no, you haven't. This is amazing. But I want to talk about your three favorite films before we get into it. Let's start with Nail and Night it is it's funny. I had not seen it either, like when I with Limo, and it is a film that I regret not seeing earlier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a like there's two things that can really give there's three things that can make a film almost impossible to watch outdated special effects, too much hype and a lack of sort of too much hype special effects, and sort of the look of it. What I mean by the look of it is like you put on Lawrence of Arabia now and you just like, holy shit, those are real horses. Like it's still what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: But that with aline stuffers from a couple of things where and it's always in lists. Always beware of films in lists, because especially comedies, because I know it always an often tops comedy list. And to comedians, you tell a comedian, you tell us that something's funny, and it's the top of the list of that funny. In our head, we've already got a hierarchy of everything. You know, Rob Situways talks about how quickly comedians can build hierarchies in their head straight away they can give you their top five. That's just how part of our minds were. You can't watch it like that. You just can't. You can't watch with now night. It's too weird, it's too slow to get started. It's so hurt by that sort of jazz intro. It's so killed by that because you can't then enjoy it for what. You can't enjoy it after that. If you're coming to it now thinking this is going to be the funniest film of all time, and that's when to the joke start. That's exactly it's going on.
Speaker 1: I came so you can't do it, and then it was actually, by the end, I enjoyed it, and then I enjoyed it more. I think Limo did as well. Actually, and this happens quite a bit on this podcast where we chat about the film with this watch yeah, And I always make the point my guess is always and sometimes me as well. Processing a film they have just seen. This is not a film that has been on the top three five. So by the end the discussion was like, yeah, no, I'm gonna watch it again. I had watched, I have watched again, like in the last six months, and I enjoyed it a lot more. So I think it's it's anywhere close to my top three, top five, top ten. No, it's not. But but like I said, I still regret not seeing it earlier, but I enjoyed it more when the pressure was off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. So you know, the other way to look at with Mail and I two is it's it's about it's weirdly exactly about now. So it's about two actors. They're struggling for work, and they're dealing with it in different ways. One's just trying to destroy himself through booze et cetera, et cetera, where the other ones just sort of calmly, sort of just trying to go through the motions of see, all right, can I get some work? And he end to sort of get some work in the end. It's incredibly modern because it's now. If you watched it now with none of that on top of it. Let's say they just remade it, and they just remade it today, and they had the same script and they just moved they weren't in there. They lived in a sort of semi share house in an inner city part of the world, somewhere like that, and they were just trying now to have a creative career. I guarante team millennials will be like, Yes, that's what I wish. I wish I want to be a YouTube star, I want to be this, I want to be that, because it's about ambition and not knowing what to do to close the gap between what you think your abilities are versus what you're being sort of dealt with and whose fault that is. It's about who's fault with our lives, about whose fault your life is like this and so then that, and so the jokes in it are all about frustration. Every single joke is about frustration. Even Uncle Monty, you know, when you realize you're never going to play the Dean and then and then he goes pulling the cancers to him he's insane, sxual and and you know, and Richardie Grant says to him, he's eccentric. Right, So the joke if I reckon, if you read the script, you would have got more laughs because there's jokes. There's so many jokes in it. But they're just not fraying that when the film starts. Bruce Robinson, cause it's all based on his life, right, So you know Monty is Fellini. So yeah, so no, the other one, the one that did the semi nude Romeo and Juliet, the Italian director. No, not for any of the other one. It'll come to me. Uncle Monty is based on his experiences working with a lecherous old director. So it's even more current if you put it in that context as well, rather than just sort of a posh English lord type. And so it's him working through that experience, working because Bruce Robinson's stunning when he's young, He's like the most beautiful young man in the whole world, and so he gets cast by this guy. I think it's in Romeo and Julia. I think that's the film he's talking about. And there's a line where Uncle Monty says to McGahan's character after he started to sort of you make love to him, and he says, I'm preparing myself to forgive you. And that is a line. Yeah, but that's a line that after this director, this Italian director of the real one, had seen the script, had said to said to Bruce Robinson after he read it and realized it was about him. I'm preparing myself to forgive you. And I know that because when I did get this with tone, he said to me, who would you like to interview?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And I just, you know, it's a freaking street card. I was, you know, it's a hand out the coach guy, and I said, my dream would be Richidie Grant from with Now And he was the first interview we ever had. The first interview we ever had was with Richard E. Grant. And then years later, I've got a photo in my phone which I can send to you of me interviewing Paul mcghan and I'm just nerding out. I was just having the best time in life. And I said to him that line, I'm preparing myself to forgive you, and he stops and he goes, that's so funny. Pick that up because it's weird. It's a different type of joke. And he goes, oh, that's so weird. That's brutes talking about this director, which he told me on set, that is amazing. That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do like I think. I think it's a film that I and I'm not just saying it's a film that I reckon, I'll watch again.
Speaker 3: What was the print like? Was it dark?
Speaker 1: It was?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's a print thing. So I had the VHS where it was dark. And then as a gift to one of the things first things Tone did is he gave me and it's Tony, He's got every print ever. He gave me a new print and he goes, no, no, no, you're missing it. It's not dark. And it was the VHS that we got in Australia with such a poor copy from handmade films because they just didn't care or didn't care, they didn't really have the technology or the money. And when you see it in the proper, when it's meant to look, it's bright and the backgrounds are like Kubrick are full of detail. So when they go from the shitty London gray that's on purpose, yes, of course. But then when they go to the country sid it's rich and it looks beautiful, and so you get, oh, okay, it's.
Speaker 1: Almost what you're doing. I feel the relief when they get to the country side, which is actually that's amazing. That's great, Yes, that is great. Let's say about clerks never apologize pleasing clerks. There's that the love of that come from, you know, being behind a desk at a video store. I no, clerks isn't set in the video store.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. Half of it is next Randall's next door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like there's seven eleven and then there Randall's.
Speaker 3: And the video Yeah. Because so I'm obviously I'm twelve, No twelve, No, I'm fourteen. I walked to the local Civic Video at the time. I worked there so long that we were every single one. I was Civic, I was Blockbuster, I was Video Easy, I was independent. I've got the name tag from every single type. I worked there for so long, love it right. So one day I'm there in I never forget. I'm now sixteen sixteen, sixteen, fifteen six sixteen, I think it was. And my boss, he would go through. Pete would go through all of the magazines, the film magazines, to see what the what interesting movies were coming out. So we would get like one hundred copies of Dante's Peak. Right, But because we developed this reputation, anyone who's listening to this in Sydney, there were two of us. There was doctor Watt, which is in Bonda Junction, and there were Civic Video, Rose Bay, New South had Road and Old Tathead wrote and they were known as places that film like not buffs, but people who wanted good movies will go because of these dudes like Tarantino's story and know how Tarantino talks about him in Manhattan Beach with Robert Roger Avery, That's like that was exactly what was going on where I was. These two guys and Duyne. The other thing, they were so knowledgeable that people would just wandering and then just like just go and hang out with them, and you know, like I said, like well known people.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 3: It was a wonderful place. And that's why I was there because they needed someone to stand behind the counter. So I would just sort of man the counter while they wandered off and did sort of personal film festivals for people. And one day my boss because it was r raided and I was too young, and he handed me a preview tape. We used to get preview tapes that you would take home and watch so you could see how many copies of the film you wanted to buy. The only two films that we never got were Jurassic Park and Pulp Fiction. They were the only two preview tapes. Tarantino didn't allow preview tapes, and Spielberg like, we didn't need to give out preview tapes because they worried about piracy. So he said, Okay, you're too young for this, but you are going to love this. You are going to love this film. This is going to change what you think. So okay, I took it home. People don't know it's black and white. Shot nineteen ninety four by Kevin Smith. Shot in the credit card and Pete as you and I know it's just jokes. Is it's designed for jokes? In this film he invents podcasting because there's a scene where two of the characters debate the labor policies of the workers in the Death Star That Die. That's a podcast. Yeah, he invents podcasting in that moment. He just he's so far ahead of his time that there's no there's not other scenes like that in other films.
Speaker 1: No, No, because this is Reservoir Dogs. Probably comes close, But what is that before or after?
Speaker 3: It's just after but already written. But that's designed. But Reservoir Dogs is trying to do something entirely different. Where reason why Dogs is you know, it's a crime, which is also wonderful, but.
Speaker 1: So about the conversations that were appeared in and Clerks where an editor or another writer could go, look, we haven't got time for that conversation hundred percent, and Reserved Dogs has has a pretty hefty plot where Clerks has none. And this is really what the Clerks is about, those conversations.
Speaker 3: Like you say, yeah, day in the life, it's so it's you know, Clerks is just about a day in the life of this shop and the characters, the two shops, the video shop, and the and the quick stops of the Quick Mount whatever you want to call it qu stop. And I just remember watching it and I didn't even know if I want. I didn't Pete, I didn't know what I wanted. It was at school and I just remember seeing it and going I could tell they had nothing. It was black and white, the music was weird, it was poorly shot, and it was hilarious. I'm just moving. These guy's got nothing. They have nothing, these people, and it's the best thing I've seen this year. And it just I still now every day I think about a joke that's in Clerks. And when you hear Kevin Smith speak. Now you know, he's obviously the best. And I don't know, Pete, that purity of all we ever do if we try and write. You know, you've written films, you've written television shows. The first what's the first thing that the so called experts and suits come for? The jokes, That's the first thing they come for, because as you know, it's sheet music and they can't read cheat music a lot of them, sometmes some kind. It's the first thing they come for. So even if you get further away from clerks and people say, oh, the language is age poorly, Oh, for God's sake, what are you talking about, that's when it came out. Yeah, like the Old Testaments language isn't aging that great. I've read it, so it's like, you know what I mean, Like, what are we talking about? The jokes are hilarious, absolutely hilarious.
Speaker 1: Films should be a time capture of their time. Yes, you know, and you don't get the revised yearly. It's true and it should be, you know, if you want to pay yourself on our back, the kind of go look how far we have come? Yeah, you know that's what it should be, not get rid of pieces of art. Yes, but Clerks was, like you say, so Kevin Smith's debut done on the credit card, like you say, and it was just like almost the rebirth of indie film, or like like it was more indie than indi. It was the most It was the indies film you possibly come up with.
Speaker 3: It made like Noah Bomback, who now secretly writes Barbie in the Shadows he is he So he was making these sort of talkie, preppy talkie films at the time. Right Wilt Stielman was making Barcelona and Last Days of which had at their core an era and an idea of a place. It was just here are people. They're here, they're preppies. They're trying to get it too disco clubs. It's not going that great. Let's see what they've got to say. Kicking and screaming. Same thing. Swingers as well, perfect swingers, perfect example. Here's a world, here's people that you don't really know, this is how they talk. Here's eighty minutes of it. What do you reckon? And there are so many absolute belters which are part of that. The Size of Watermelons, which is Paul Rudd's first film, is said in Venice about two people who can't really get a job in Venice. And it's okay, but there's bits in it like one of them sort of like a Dandy Warhol's sort of lead singer, another guy sort of at art school, and it's okay, but there's two or three scenes in it which are absolutely fantastic. So there's this whole era of sort of ninety five to two thousand and one with a door somehow Pete was cracked open slightly, and a lot of these small films. That's Ow Bottle Rocket, the first film of Wes Andersen. They just snuck in. They all just snuck in and got these turkey comedies and I just watched them all the whole time, and it ended up just sort of that genre then went into television. It sort of went into TV or whatever it became. But there's this little era there where they just jokes were allowed. Just people were allowed to talk to each other and they were allowed to be a ton of jokes and then just move on with your day. Yeah, and that was it.
Speaker 1: I thought he was doing a really high degree now I think, and maybe with a fraction a fraction more plot is Sean Baker.
Speaker 3: Okay, see, I'm not a Sean Baker guy. What should I watch? Well, I said, Red Rocket? I think is oh Red Rocket. I've never seen Red Rocket, and I've threatet. I've threatened to a number of times.
Speaker 1: I thought it was one of the best films of that year years ago. Florida Project is great either And at the time of recording this, Angora has not been released. You know. That's that's at Oscar bars about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm just going to go back today with Franco ZEPHYRRELLI not Fellen, because that was going to bother me the guy, the Italian director, the Italian director. Yes, okay, so that was who it was with Bruce Robinson, as zephyr raally said to him, I'm preparing myself to forgive you. So there we go. Yes, so that's clerks.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Life of Brian. All three of these films have come up in best Ye've got three best because they are you think comedies particularly, I think with NL Night and Life of Brian often on top of people's list. But when did you first see Life of Brian?
Speaker 3: The same time? So, same time, So my boss just said, my boss just handed me that because I'd watched very kindly, I'd got into Monty Python as a teenager and because it was cool not And then my boss, without me knowing, found a catalog that was releasing all of Flying Circus, their television show, not just the compilations, and so he secretly because he would just had this weird budget on the side. It was that he would just get things that he liked, just and then weird. Of course people then flocked to them. It was just it was really just Smay. It was just Smay. I just knew what people liked. And he bought the whole entire thing of Flying Circus, every single frame, and just put it on the shelf and then said, right, work your way through this. So I work my way through this, and of course you see sketch comedy, you go, all right, some suck, some sketches aren't great, but anything in compilation is fantastic. So by the time I got through that, and then he said, right, okay, time for life for Brian. And then he gave me life for Brian. And then I just couldn't believe. I couldn't believe that it was happening. It was just so funny, so quick, so simple. And I was talking to Gleisner about it the other day, and Gleisner was saying that he noticed something new the other day where he goes, have you ever noticed in and this is out of nowhere, by the way, We're just sitting there and he just turns to me. He just finished writing a book and he just you know, in an hour. And he turns to me and he goes, if you ever noticed in Life of Brian that when they come in from another scene, the pythons have realized, oh, we're going to just improvise something here, and they're always improvising a couple of lines before the scene starts. So there's a bit where when they drag in Brian before he gets sent to be executed. Michael Palin is one of the Romans, just just as it starts, is standing on the side of the sort of Roman villa talking to one of the centurions, and he goes and we're sort of going for like an etruscan sort of feel with this, And I was like, oh, yeah, right, I still haven't noticed that. But it's that type of movie where you just you keep noticing things over and over and over again. It's so unbelievably spot on.
Speaker 1: And also it probably would have been an early lesson for you and me. It's certainly one of my favorite films of the comedic set piece, you know, and the set pieces in films where they are action set pieces or that was the first time I've gone, oh, there's a story being thread through here that have been held together by these funny set piece.
Speaker 3: Yes, wouldn't it be funny if so? Essentially in that film, you know, Graha Chapman's character essentially just walked into sketches and then walked out of them and then walked into another sketch. The whole film is basically, he walks in a sketch, happens, and he walks out, and that's the whole movie. But they're all so good and the sketches are so good. And the other thing is because they're playing so many of the different roles. The pythons, they're doing that thing where you know it's them and they know you know it's them, but that gives them license to go bigger and have more fun with it, so even with each other. I want to interview John Cleek's and I said, because there was I remember watching it really clearly watching Flying Circus, and there's one sketch which is completely different to the others. So normally with the Monty Python thing, it is establishing shot. They're doing something dressed as Nanas or whatever, a couple of sort of murmuring, so people get the idea, oh, okay, they're playing Nana's so they get used to who they are and then the jokes start. But there's one scene where there was one in Flying Circus where out of nowhere Paler John Cleese is just standing on the street and it's handheld, which they never did. It's hand held and with a film camera and or not never but rarely and and and Cleese is just standing there as a bobby and he's sort of, you know, as an English policeman, bouncing on his heels. And Michael Paler runs up to me and excuse me, excuse me. I was just sitting on the park bench and I turned around. I turned around and make my wallet was gone. Thirty pounds was missing, right, well on a park bench thirty pounds, yeah right, And then there's a long pause and at the end of it, Palan's just sort of standing there. He's standing there, and then Palee goes, do you want to come back to my place? And Clice goes all right, and they walk off and the timing is so different, and I go to cleee, so what was what's going on?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Was just I might be insane? And he goes and he goes, he goes, that's so interesting. He goes, that's so interesting. He goes, that's the only improvised sketch we ever did. We were doing something else. I was early, we were waiting for something, and so pale and I came up with it on the spot. So when you're talking about the comedy set piece, that speaks to how much they thought they put into that, how much thought they put into the comedy set piece, the sort of exactitude of the comedy set piece. That's why it looked different when they were riffing. And that's the problem I think in a lot of films where well, you know, that's how comedy doesn't work anymore. What they're saying is it got too bloded with too much improv where people thought they were funnier than they were and they were too big. A does for people to say that wasn't as good as you thought it.
Speaker 1: Was I really shiver when I hear actors talk about how much to have improvised and listen. I do love Judd Apatow. He's one of my heroes. I do love him, and I can see how him and Adam McKay have kind of got it down where they're throwing lines in, and I think that's a different thing, to be honest, that's that's the writing process, yes, but I don't like it. I heard Vince Vaughan talk about and people will rave about how good an improviser he is, and I've got no doubt that he is a good improviser, but sometimes it doesn't work for the movie, and it's like it could it could be amusing. But and there's a time when he's talking about I think I think it was wedding crashes, and I just really I felt for the writer because he made it sound like they basically they ignored the scripts and it was all improvised. And I'm sure that is not true.
Speaker 3: That always you'll hear that a lot with actors, you know, and some actors a quote famous for it, where they go, it's not on the page, and all they're ever saying is all actors are ever really saying is I think I know better than the writer and I'm more important than them. They can shape it any way they want, but that is what they're saying. And when if they're ever if they're ever proved somewhat not correct, but if the lines ever go in and go well, well then you never work with that actor. You find out that interview, you find that interview, you listen to that, and you strike them off your list because they are coming in really hot with that in their mind that they are going to quote, improve it or rewrite it with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, Dice, Yeah, I don't imagine there as much improvising going on in the film that we are about to talk about. Let's get into this.
Speaker 7: Leaving it a bad bad thing, leading it a bad bad THEE beat it a bad bad Thie beat it a bad bad thing.
Speaker 1: They did they nineteen ninety nine Stanley Kruebrigg, as we've mentioned his final film, it's hard to like put it into Like Tom the Cruise and Nicole Kibmen were as big as almost anyone has ever been. As as a cat goes, you know, it's certainly in that conversation. So Tom and Nicole ed Cavilly. Did you enjoy Eyes Wide Shut?
Speaker 3: Of course, because you've got so. First thing is to say, is it ninety ninety nine widely regarded as one of the best movie years of all time? Right, so it had some stiff competition when it came out, and it got lost in the shuffle somewhat, because however it was. It is Stanley Kubrick's most successful film. So it costs you. It took one hundred and twenty five right, you know, that's just box office. It's also the longest film ever made at four hundred days in the Guineas Book of Records, four hundred days of shooting. So, however, but the whole thing hinges because I went back and I watched the trailers, I looked at the posters, I looked at the articles around the time, and I was like, yes, that's right. And I remember this because sometimes because we're Australian, Pete, was it just because we had nical in it that we were thought and they, you know, because they could be seen around town, will be more obsessed with it. On Kubrick wanted to cast a real couple in the film. He absolutely wanted to do that, and I don't think you can underestimate how much the success of this film was based on the idea that it was that they were really a couple and could you tell if they really were going to break up? That's the narrative around it. The Tom cruise might be a bit left that's starting here. That actually, oh, hang on, what's going on with Tom? That's starting this time? And the fact that our nick was there and she was nowhere near the star he was at this point, but everyone comes out of it talking about her performance, not his, and it's so wildly successful, and do they actually hate each other? What's going on on set? Is Kubrick filming real sex? That was the number one narrative about this film, is Kubrick filming real sex?
Speaker 1: Well, that's also interesting that he didn't go the obvious angle of having there's the mirror scene with Tom Nicole, but he didn't take advantage necessarily. And we'll talk about the lengthy goes to to shoot some of the sex scenes soon. But it's almost surprising in a way that the easiest thing for him to do to promote the movie and to get some buzz around it. I mean there was already buzz around it, but is have a sex scene with like a you know, and this is the most graphic sex scene you'll ever see, and people, you know, like people would have flocked to that and it would have made more money. But he resists that.
Speaker 3: Well, he resist it because I think he knows that people are doing it for him, because if you watch the trailers, it's just Cruise, no kidman, Cruz Kubrick. And then baby did a bad, bad thing. You see the cole drop the dress and then you see you do see a bit of the mirror scene where they start to kiss and then the masks bang, we're home three images boom boom boom. So it's good. So cinephiles are going, pervs are going. And then they managed to do that thing what was that horrific film? And then they had to then they pretended Chris Pines spat on Harry's styles to try and drum up interest and it worked. Don't Worry Darling. So if anyone's wondering what this is like, this was this is where the Don't Worry Darling people got the idea for their promotion. What really happened on set? Do these people actually hate each other? And the director is so substitute director for two stars are actually sleeping together? And what can you tell from watching the film? What can you deduce from watching the film. That's how this was sold. Don't worry, darling. Is the modern version of what this put forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it's I saw it in the cinema when it came out. Who with I actually, yeah, ninety nine. It would have it could have been impossibly myself in a transcope. I don't remember making it like it wasn't a date movie. I don't think.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it was sold that. It was also sold as come and get freaky, come come here and test your relate. It was like a relationship test for people like see if your let's see how your marriage slash relationship stacks up against this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I would have I would have been with mine male wife from that time, so meeting her at least maybe it was just pre meeting her. But yeah, it's and I enjoy like like enjoyed it, but I never watched it again. No, that's the thing, and it was I really enjoyed watching this again in this moment of time. And I'm sure we'll get into you know, watching this now with these orgy scenes with you leaked in the shadow now of Epstein and.
Speaker 3: P did so one. Kubrick's telling us that there is yes, zero doubt because in my research for this today there's not even any shadow of any doubt that he is saying, boy, this is it. Much like with Clockwork Orange. He's saying, there was this thing called mk ultra, they had mind control, this is what they were doing with it, CIA, et cetera, et cetera. And then years later they go, wow, he was right. They actually did have all of those things. Now, I don't know how tinfoy hat you want to get, but I have to mention this.
Speaker 1: This is the editor editing, and.
Speaker 3: We're going to get to that's that's interesting.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: So the Shining Lookout Mountain, so that the idea of the hotel on the top of the mountain based on a few different places. However, during in the sixties and seventies, in Laurel Canyon, there's a naval base, a secretive naval base on the top of Laurel Canyon. It's still there today. I'll tell you what happened to it in a moment right in this place. What do you think they're doing up there, Pete, is it radar?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 3: Are they developing weapons?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 3: It has the largest film studio in Los Angeles. Why they say it's for developing pictures that come back from space. But it's got a sound stage, it's got more cameras than anyone's ever had in their whole life. And that people, And so Kubrick has high level clearance at this place. He has a he's a think Reagan has it, Kubrick has it, carry Grant has it. That these are some of the people they said. They said that more films were made in that facility than the studios combined one year, and yet no one's ever seen a frame of them. So then when Kubrick goes to make two thousand one Doctor whatever, right, he thanks government facilities and government agencies in the in the credits of the film. They see that and go get the shit out of here, and they make him take it out. You can't make Kubrick take anything out of a film. And they go, mate, get our names out of those credits, and they do it, and years later the credits resurface. So Kubrick, the reason I bring that up is so anything you think people have just been crazy with Kubrick's films. No, they're not. He is one, and he thinks it's funny as well. Also, maybe he's funny. He thinks it's funny. Kuby thinks it's funny for people to do what we're doing now and sift through he finds that funny. Yeah, he's got that in his in his bag. But he's also got Yeah, what's going on with this guy? He's also got a huge bag of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well he's working at different levels of like big ideas, big kind of you know, I'm telling you something here from a thematic point of view, and then there's Easter eggs like he was almost like the first of the you know, doing Easter. I mean everything is somebody say anything you can read, any sign you can read in the Kubrick film means something.
Speaker 3: So two six seven, So what's the room two three seven in the Shine two three seven. That's the number, the street number. Tom Cruise walks past everyone's names. His Cruise names are in there. At the end of this film, Tom Cruise has a copies of Kubrick's films in his flat. He put that there on purpose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now he's gotta be a rain Man in there as well.
Speaker 3: A Super Nintendo, so I had to get that. So he also, no, I'll come back to that because that that that that reminds me of that.
Speaker 1: Did you feel always asked did you feel comfortable as far as that you were going to like, you're watching a good film or a great film.
Speaker 3: So you've got so you you're not allowed to say if you watch a lot of movies. There's a certain threshold of movies that once you've seen a certain amount of films, you're not allowed to say that you don't really love Kubrick is like the Godfather because you then you just then you describe yourself as unserious to the other people who have seen that amount amount of films. Right, That's just what happens. You switch off, Like when Limo said he didn't get with No one night because he grew up on a farm in Adelaide. I'm out, he's going on so so then, but I didn't. I liked it. I liked it because I thought it was funny. I thought it was funny, and I thought he was trying not trying. He succeeds in doing whatever he wants, So I think you have to know stuff about this film. I think you have to know that Nicole and Tom were a couple. I think you have to know that they were the biggest couple in the world, and that he knew that in the seventies when he first had the idea. Do you know who he met with?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, no, Steve Martin?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is it after the Jerk?
Speaker 3: Yes? So before the jerk he'd seen him do stand up in London. This is just before the jerk.
Speaker 1: So he imagined this, and so he had this for decades.
Speaker 3: So eighties, eighties is Steve Martin? So eighties because I'll get to it wasn't the seventies year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he got to be visious having making this as a comedy. I think, yeah, later even either meets or he has the idea that Adam Sandler could play it.
Speaker 3: Yes, he goes Woody Allen in the seventies, Steve Martin and then and Steve Steve Martin and then Adam Sandler. See that tells you thinking comedy. That tells you he thinks jokes are a crucial part of this.
Speaker 1: And he watches comedies and he loves comedies and and you know, like you said, he is putting jokes that in these films that you know, not for everyone, and some people won't recognize them as jokes. But he's chuckling away, he's having a good time. He's having a good time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's having a good time. So so when at the end, at the end, you want to do best Kubrick stories from this, because there's three or four which are just like you are going to absolutely be thrilled by. We may cover them, so I might. Let's save it to see if we get there.
Speaker 1: Well, let's so okay this and this is jump, We're going to jump all around. But that's what this does. Do you subscribe to the theory that this this cult, it's it's pedophilic cult.
Speaker 3: No, I subscribe to the idea that it is it's a group of people whose feet don't touch the ground, who are so rich and so out of there, and it's become boring that they have to keep trying to think of new orgies situations to keep themselves excited. And I had a weird thing happen whereby I was at a party, not like one of these things supiming was an annoying because I was in a maskings. Long story short. I was talking to someone who said, oh, you got to hear other person's story about what happened to them. I said, you'll love this. Then they said what I did for a living. And this person, who I didn't know was with someone I knew, said no, I'm not telling him. He'll tell them. I said, okay, I won't, which I am now because a couple of years ago, this person lives in Europe. This person is from money. This person is obscenely rich. They're so rich they don't wear anything that signifies wealth. So all my friends from high school would wear gold chains because they had no money signifier. You're in a Gemini, mate, You're not fooling anyone. That's your mum's sigma. I don't care that it's got rims. It's a sigma. Yeah. We've paid four hundred dollars for the midst of busy cult. You and I both know that that gold chain, it's not falling anyone werring fubu for God's sake, fubo. All right, you're not fooling anyone. So this dude was so rich that he was wearing just like a linen semi shirt pair of pants, and he would look bored. He he'd mastered the art of just looking bored at a place which was the best house I've ever been in my life, and he was managed to look bored. That was the first thing I noticed about it. And I thought, well, he looks bored. And I realized, Okay, he's saying this is shit compared to what I'm used to. Right, So this guy goes, just tell him he's Oh, for God's sake, alright, I'd fight because he knew I'd be thrilled by it. This dude says, I'm at an event in America. I go where, and he goes, you won't know it, Like we're in America, Pete, don't I know? Like you know what I mean, what a weird thing? I didn't say Transylvania. He said, you won't know it? And I was like, all right, was a chap equittic like word? Are we talking to it right? Because you won't know? I was fine, whatever, and he goes, I just got this dude says I've just been married and I was there with my new wife and she comes over to me and says, you'll never guess what just happened. And he goes what And she goes, I was talking to this man a little bit older who is from a family. I'm going to write it down. You can't say who it is, but I'm going to write it down so that you can react. Okay, And she says, I was just talking to X from X family, a family so historically well known that everyone would know it if they found out who it is.
Speaker 1: Before you show me, can I can? I throw out the name that comes to mind, Kennedy.
Speaker 3: They wish all right, okay, So underneath it I was white shirt. That is the name of the family.
Speaker 1: Okay, you got me? Yes, yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, new ship.
Speaker 3: Right, and and to this and I go wow, and I made a joke about what people know about them, right, And this person goes no, no, no, no. That person still carrying that surname invited me to a party and I said I was married, and he said we all are. I said I'm married, he said we all are.
Speaker 1: So this so I reckon when I watched it in ninety nine, I thought, this is the same fantasy sh sh and it's it's a bit much.
Speaker 3: And it's a bit much. That's a great way of putting it. Yes, A bit much ritualistic of all geez dudes in cloaks.
Speaker 1: But when you thought when you were dealing with people who live in a different stratosphere but have to walk amongst us, Yes, they they I imagine they will need someplace to go to not feel like they are. They feel like they are on another planet.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. And that's why it's so crucial. It's said in New York, where you can literally at some point you've got to hit the street and someone might be shitting in it. That's why it's so crucial that it's set in New York. And I guess we'll get to the way he filmed it, et cetera, says, because it's all in London, we'll get to that, right, But that is why it's so crucial that it's in New York. That's why when it's originally the novella is set in Vienna, I believe, and the guy that wrote it was friends with Freud, right, yeah, but they Freud never wanted to meet him because everyone kept saying it parties, you should meet von what's his name, because you guys have got much a lot of similar ideas and you look the same and Freud said to I don't want to meet this guy because I don't want to be seen as a fraud in my own life. And then they became friends later in life. So that tells you what we're dealing with here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're going up to Sigmund Freud and going there is a dude who is just like you over there, you're already you're freaking the deed, right, So anyway to get back to say that, So that's exactly the case, and he's that's what he's saying back then, Man, he was right.
Speaker 1: See I think I think, I think there is a pedophilic thing going on now, and it might be that Kubrick is nudging us or winking at us. I think clearly the women who are there are not underage like that.
Speaker 3: They are the models. The models are not the thirties almost they're even not that, they're even not sort of early twenties. They're sort of older than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I don't think he is going for me that, But I think because I think part of the reason he has done that because I don't think he would be able to make this feel You cannot have no naked fourteen year olds.
Speaker 3: You know, remember this dude made Lolita. So he's he's ridden this train and gone, okay, what you know that? So he's done that, he's done Lolita, and now he's come to this one hundred percent. Yeah, yes, are so.
Speaker 1: Then you have this you know, the Lombard not definitely not Lombards, but the costume place, and you have the this weird dude and he's.
Speaker 3: Doing a comedy routine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's just a comedy character in the middle.
Speaker 1: And he's very welcome as far as like he is, like he bursts into it and grabs your attention. Yeah, because you know, there's a lot of characters in this film really like you know, like Tom Goes and some of them are you know, a bit more subdued. And so he's a little fire cracker. And then there's this weird thing going on with It's Lily. Yeah so, and there's two Japanese men who are clearly having sex with her.
Speaker 3: One of those dudes ended up in as a pilot in the Star Wars prequels.
Speaker 1: Oh really, check like a ruined Star Wars for me. And it's it's unclear.
Speaker 3: It's very clear he's pimping her out.
Speaker 1: He's piping around. Do you think he's he has caught caught them in the air.
Speaker 3: It's part of paying. Part of what they're paid for is to be to be caught. Ndred percent is to be caught.
Speaker 1: Because you see later on when he's when he Bill returns to the costume that they are leaving, and that's it. And then he's more open with the offer of like when you use anything, Yes, the daughter and.
Speaker 3: You actually whispers to him when she when he's getting his because he goes there to get the costume he needs for the party, she whispers something to him. What she says to him, She says, get a cloak with an lined with ermine, so she knows where he's going. And of course ermine is classic for aristocracy, and that was one of da Vinci's paintings, you know, the lady with the ermine cloak. So he's he's every moment, every chance he gets. Here's one, yeah, cop this well, this one.
Speaker 1: There's the pram at the end, this old fashioned pram, which is a nod to Rosemary's baby.
Speaker 3: No, it's the actual one.
Speaker 1: It is the actual one.
Speaker 3: It's the exact Rosemary. It's it's just like so how does he get this point? So he you know that he invented street view. So for this film, Stanley Kubrick invents street view because he gets his nephew to go on the Commercial Road in London and take a photograph. Because Kubrick said, no, no, no, no no, because this guy was like a normal human being, goes no, no, no, no no. You can't take it facing up or facing down because it will distort the buildings. It has to be taken from street level view street He calls it street level. So the dude goes with a camera with a camera, a film camera, and sets up a ladder, takes a photo, gets down from his ladder, gets a ladder, takes the next one right, gets them developed, takes them back to Koubry and has to sticky tape them together so that Kubrick can look at the commercial Road in a series of photographs in a row. So he invents street view for this film.
Speaker 1: Sound I could have just left the house and well.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing. Maybe you know, you know it's there right now if you want to go stand I do it. But mate, it is, I mean it is here. That dude had to spend a year taking photographs of front doors just so that they could find the right one for Tom Cruise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what the let's talk about We'll come back to the Colton and but let's talk about Kubrick and his methis he basically broke Shelley de Val in The Shine.
Speaker 3: Did it to the to the Twins in Shining? Never act again? Danny never acts again in The Shining. A couple of the guys from Full Metal Jacket never act again. The other soldiers. This is in his wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's doing things like making Tom Cruise walk through a door the ninety five times.
Speaker 3: Ninety five times. However, yes, what does he know about Tom Cruise to know that he can't crack him? Because when the Cock evens interviewed about this film later, she says, I would have done another year. Yeah, it was four hundred days. I would have easily done another year, no drama.
Speaker 1: So they signed open ended contract basically, so they are available to Stanley Kubrick for this movie for as long as Stanley Kubrick Craze signs, which ends up mission impossible getting pushed back in the sequel. So and this, you know, he is obviously obviously a genius who has made some of the most you know, the greatest films ever that will live forever, immortal films. There's a get to the point though, where you do go do you need thank you? The shoot the sex scene, a rugged sex scene with Nicole Kimmen and then who I thought was Aaron Akhart for a while I was googling and for six.
Speaker 3: Days, well yeah, I know, and it's only one it's only two angles right in the actual filming of it in the black and white, and so Alan Cumming, who plays their hotel clothes, that scene took a week. There's a scene between Sidney Pollack and Tom Cruise at the end of the film, which is two people talking in a pool room. That took six weeks.
Speaker 1: Right now, Harvey Kaytel left the production because he was going to play Sidney Pollack's character one hundred percent Victor, and this went no, I'm not, I'm not. I'm not walking through that door for you more than four times.
Speaker 3: And then you know what they started telling people. They started to try and make Harvey Cartell look bad.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 3: The room went out. Ah, so kit Tell just leaves goes I'm not doing eighty seven takes of walking through a door go fuck yourself? Right, I love that. Yeah. The rumor then went around, Oh no, no, it wasn't that. What happened was that kite tell the sex scenes that you know that Sidney Pollock was meant to have in the film. Kitell wanted to be masturbating for real, and he ejaculated on someone's leg, which ended up happening in grown Ups too.
Speaker 1: That's what I call it. I was gonna say, that's what that's why he plays mister White.
Speaker 3: So but I agree with you with so Obviously everyone wants to do the same thing. Everyone wants to go, hey, Stan, come here a minute on the screen of two takes. One is take thirty seven. One is take eighty seven, which is which, yeah, that's what you want to do. Yes, that's because he burns them all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and also it's you do get to the point where you go, Nicole Kimman, and it's not just it's it's a very it's a sex scene where you like, there are clearly hands on genitalia form and he's encouraging that, and he's ever saying rougher, rougher, ruffer at what point does somebody and I suspect if it was happening that imagine the itacy coordinator on Eyes by Shut In twenty twenty five. You know what it is that's amazing it like, yes, so none of that happens, and it's like I do it's and I'm not asking for Stanley Kubrick films to be canceled. I know it joins, but at some point you're going to go, it's ridiculous, Stanley, Like you don't need to be somebody should have been stepping in going no, you are not get you get this scene for a day exactly.
Speaker 3: But who is that person? Because what's his argument that he always comes back with, I came in under budget, which he does. So the reason that so that you've answered your own question, that person told me. The studio they never say anything because they know they've got a Stanley Kubrick film one and two is under budget. That's his key, the reason he gets away with it. The key bit is that he's under budget because they've got nothing to hit him with in terms of they do in terms of fucking let it go. But he's under budget every time, and that is his key. When I read that I was like, that's how he got him because he's under budget. That's why they don't give a ship.
Speaker 1: Nicole Keppan gets injured in that, in that, in that and yeah, yeah, like it's and and and the actor who's just like this model too, is this model wrote his name down somewhere Gary got or something Williams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he just that's his only bit. That's his only Yeah, he said his only credit. Yeah, and he kind of got that's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: He got he got signed and and and and wasn't really sure exactly what it was because obviously the secrecy around it, they're not giving telling you. Gary got the whole.
Speaker 3: Scripts, sorry page any one.
Speaker 1: So wow, Gary Gobber.
Speaker 3: No, Gary Gobby. You never guess why they call me Gary.
Speaker 1: There was over fifty erotic positions that were filmed. They go with basically to maybe forty seconds.
Speaker 3: Fifty fifty erotic positions. There aren't fifty.
Speaker 1: I've had three. I've counted three to three.
Speaker 3: You fax me the third one. I'd love to see it. They're on the slot adjustment adjustment. Yeah, as you get the swing right. Didn't make you want to go to an orgy?
Speaker 1: No? No, certainly did not. It did not.
Speaker 3: It did not make you want to go to a masked up orgy. No, No, okay, well well so pete, okay, let's just say p Hellier you get, you know, for Dalio, which is also the name of a series of secret experiments. So we'll get to that in a moment. Even that he's picked because it's a boatsart op er Bethoven if I can't remember which one it is. No, he's picked that because it's the name of secretive experiments. He knows what he's doing, right every time. All right, there you get the invite mask, and you're standing in the circle and they do the and one of the beautiful models gets up, comes over and gives you the mask kiss. You're not fired up?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Well no no, because I kind of my first quess will be like, who's going to be there?
Speaker 3: These things?
Speaker 1: You don't no, no, you know, you don't know. Is it also weird that they're performing like sixty nine sexual position with masks? How does that work?
Speaker 3: It's it's really yeah, I was spilling. I was like, you wouldn't it made mask off?
Speaker 1: For that? Isn't some occasions it's.
Speaker 6: Going to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going to be a mask for that one.
Speaker 1: Having a plastic mask at the end of your it's.
Speaker 3: Not what I'm here for. Excuse me, Red Cloak? Can I get a different position? I understand there's fifty you want to get some variety and what about the city. So one of the first uses of CGI ever is to add extra blokes in black cloaks to to obfiscate the actual graphic nature of the sex being shot.
Speaker 1: Because he needs it to be our raided, but he doesn't want it to be like x Rader and and so he's watching films like Fatal Attraction, Show Girls. Yes, that's basic instinct that kind of work out how how how close they came to, you know, getting that rating or losing that rating. So yeah, I I love Stanley Kubrik, but I just kind of I don't is this like love. I love hearing the stories about it because it's you know, it's a film mystery, but also it's like, I I hopefully that that stuff never happens again.
Speaker 3: No, And I wouldn't last five minutes on one of his movies. I just wouldn't the pay I just be like, what are we fucking doing? Like Take twenty was fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well what you went for Working Dog, which have the opposite of like what Stanley Kubrik does, but they're like the great thing about doing Have you been paying attention? And I hope you Yeah, I've got my love. Have you been paying attention? A friend of the show shirt? And I'm proud. I'm very proud to get that is you go in and there's no fucking about like you go in, you get in the makeup, you go block the show for cameras and lighting, go to the groom and they load the audience and you start and it's it's joyous. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because Tom, I asked Tom about this film in the lead up to this Tomm he goes, oh, yeah, I think I went to a media screening in nineteen ninety nine. Had you go? He goes, no, No, not for me. I said too slow, too slow, too slow. I had somewhere to be right. I like that is the so And I know what you mean because he always says that the budget buys him time. So that's Kubrick's thing. Time he thinks is just amorphous and he can just do what he wants with it. And so when you see that it was four hundred days to make this film and it wasn't finished. There is no way this film was finished.
Speaker 1: So well, yeah, yeah, you go for it. Do you want to? So there's Stanley Gery does deliver. Reportedly to bat Brothers.
Speaker 3: He did, that happened, There was a screening that happened.
Speaker 1: And he dies four days later. There are rumors that there was a recutting of this film to hide certain things. One of the biggest things pertains to the ending, which you have Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise walking through the shop at Christmas. Great Christmas movie, by the way, fantasty Christmass raised along time along say try I'm for holidays. Let's let's have a little listen to uh Bill and analysis. They walked through the store and they discussed the ending.
Speaker 4: Maybe I think we should be grateful, grateful that we've managed to.
Speaker 9: Survive through all of our adventures, whether they were real or only adream.
Speaker 1: Are you.
Speaker 7: Are you sure?
Speaker 8: H am?
Speaker 3: I sure?
Speaker 2: Mhm h oh, only.
Speaker 8: Only as sure as I am that the reality of one night that alone matter a whole lifetime can ever be the whole truth.
Speaker 3: Mh And no dream is ever.
Speaker 10: Just a dream m hmm.
Speaker 1: There's a bit what we'll play uh uh botch. There's a couple of things. First of all, do you t into a theory that this is the Tom Cruise Bill? Is it's a dream?
Speaker 3: If it's that, then the movie sucks I completely. If it's a dream, this movie sucks so bad.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: And is he just buged it in to try and give himself an out or is he just trying to because you remember he says interesting is better than real, So that's Kubrick's motto in life, interesting is better than real. And I feel as though he's just bugged it in to go And I don't I haven't read them novella obviously, the Trouman novel, so I don't know. So I don't know if that's something he's kept from that or if something that he's written, or that's something that he's written on the set, which he was famous for rewriting the script while he was shooting it. He would do that all the time.
Speaker 1: And if Schnitzeler's friends with Freud, then yeah, dreams are probably always going to be a part of it.
Speaker 3: That's the point. That's what he That's what was apparently what drew him to it initially. So if that's it sucks so bad. It can't be a dream because people keep saying that, Pete, how shit is it was all a dream? Exactly the fucking worst. It's the fucking it's the worst thing you can do. It was all a dream.
Speaker 1: I love the idea. The fact that Alice has had these dreams and these thoughts, that's the interesting thing that she's having.
Speaker 3: Sends him off. Yes, so yeah, I reckon. That's one of the reasons people hate it. I reckon. One of the reasons that people really don't like this film is that it might be all we dream ah, and what have we been doing? Because it's as if someone has been telling you their dream for three hours, so, which is always awful. When someone tells you their dream, it's awful, right. And when you're young and single and an attractive woman says she'd like to tell you about a dream she had, you go, yeah, this sounds good. But when you've been married for teen years, like I have, my wife starts up about her dreams, I'm out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also don't think it's shot or there's enough dream like things going on it.
Speaker 3: So you know what they say, the claps, So there's a bit where Tom Cruise is walking through New York City. However, how was that shot that was he's on the treadmill?
Speaker 6: Was?
Speaker 3: And yeah, baby, he's on a treadmill with rear projection in nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it looks. It looks great, it looks great. There's one shot in the car. There's one shot in the car where it looks do it's a bit dodgy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but and then he claps Yeah, and that's meant to snap it out of a dream state because he does it a few times. But if any of that's true, the whole movie sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If I could cut one thing, I would just cut the idea again, No, mate, come on.
Speaker 1: So I just thought that was Cruse being Cruise.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't reckon. I don't reckon. Well, I hope it, I hope it is. That's something he had to do eighty times as well, or something like that, because you know that he would shoot the scenes on VHS first. So Kubrick would shoot the scene on VHS first and then show it to the actors back and go see that bit, do that again? See that I like that bit? So to do that?
Speaker 1: Do that?
Speaker 3: So he would do that first. So even though he's in eighty seven taps, he's already shot it on a VHS to show them. Yeah, how annoying.
Speaker 1: He's very annoying. So okay, so let's do back the dream. Well, we recommend you watch it with It's not a dream, its happening. It's not a dream, it's happening. So this ending so that their daughter, they basically don't take their eye off the door to be mindful of her, and then they kind of they see her walk off, and then they don't and they almost like they're allowing it, and she walks off with two the man too, gray Head, the older man who we do see at the party at the start when they're walking up the stairs, and it's all very subtle, but it's there. And a theory is that they are basically sacrificing their daughter to this cult, which would lend the idea that this is actually a pedophilic thing going on.
Speaker 3: And yes, so two questions. Roger Avery on The Joe Rogan Show this week said he's got a shooting script from the set, and that absolutely happened. They did. That was the pedophilic thing. They were trying to take it out and that there's a voice over missing and you can tell because of there are gaps in the film, particularly when he's at the Morgan he's looking over. I'm paraphrasing, but he says, one hundred percent there's a pedophilic thing which which they've cut. They've the studio said cut it, and that the part of what gives it away is the fact that there's no voiceover and that certainly footage was cut because there's things that if you're a real deep filmmaker like he is and in Quentin, that they can notice to go, hang on, that's not that's off, that's not Kubrick right, because they're students of his stuff. One hundred percent believe that, and I also believe that that is what he's alluding to there. And the fact that every woman in the film is a redhead who looks like Nicole Kidman. The idea is that is that's what she was. The idea is that she used to be one of the hookers at these parties. Because when she drops the dress at the start, she drops it the same way they drop the cloak. So she drops her black dress at the start and you see her body and they all do the same thing, and that she's basically it's this is a cycle that has been going sort of infinitum, around around it goes, and so that her job now is to breed the next Her job is to breed the next generation of girls that are going to be part of this, which says it just won't stop. And then so now I was reading something, but Nicole Kidmer said, she said that her and Stanley, Her and Stanley came up with that dress drop, and that she didn't like the dresses, so that was just her dress that she had, and that they came up with that way of dropping it. But it's exactly the same as the way the women drop the cloaks and they all look like Nicole Kidman. So I go with that. I think that's what he's getting it. I think he's saying, Yep, there's a pediph cult and that it's been going, you know, in forever, and that she was part of it and now she's she's producing the next generation for it.
Speaker 1: And what I love about this film is, particularly watching it in this time, is the level of like it doesn't become an investigation about what he's not, Like, Bill's not trying to expose. There's a version of this film and maybe in Lesser Hands where it becomes about the politics of this and who are these people you know? And why does it exist? He's not doing it. It still remains about the marriage. What thoughts are we allowed to have? Like I did an episode that I want to you know well, I half kind of wrote for How to Stay Married, and it was basically Greg my character got caught having a wank, you know, by Am and the whole idea for the episode was like, what are you allowed to have in your own head when you're you're you're married? And what was he working about? The idea? He was actually waking about one of their friends.
Speaker 3: You cast that actress. That's where your own marriage gets in trouble. Did when you go to cast that actress, your wife goes, who's this?
Speaker 1: I did do an episode of It's which actually was the like I guess the prequel of How to Stay Married because my character was was the same character. Basically had to say marriage with a spin off and it was like, my character does get at light dance from the white white It's not like a regular thing. It's nudity is a regular thing, said well to be honest. That storyline is actually an easy act because that storyline was based on something that actually happened with my wife and I early on in their relationship with another couple, and the two women said, wouldn't it be fun if we all went to a strip club that we have none of us have been to a strip club before that, none of us have been the strip club before where me and my mate this looked at our shoes and yeah, none of us.
Speaker 3: So for daily and you're seeing you went to the strip club which.
Speaker 1: One uh, I think it was samant Rhino, and the same thing happened, like a woman came over to my wife and I said, I'll give you a lap dance and then she started that and my wife kind of said, I think we're going to leave now because she thought I was giving the lap dancer look. It was her look, and I was like, well no, because I'm I know what it's like to be an audio, you know, a performer, and I'm like respecting.
Speaker 3: I'm a great audience, I'm a great audio.
Speaker 1: And it's like and it sounds like bullshit, but it's sincere if I was like, sit there and there's like, look, you know you know at the walls.
Speaker 3: That's how would she feel? How would the lady dancing lady feel?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 3: Get it?
Speaker 1: That was?
Speaker 3: So that was that's the closest you. So you are closer to eyes white chat than you think I am. You actually been.
Speaker 10: Maybe I would go to this audio baby, maybe maybe that is Oh wow, so fun story.
Speaker 1: It is a fun story.
Speaker 3: I believe you fell for that. Let's all go to a strip club. What are you doing?
Speaker 1: That's a setup, But I'm go and I did because I got this this adventure. Life happened and something is something, we learned something what.
Speaker 3: You may do? Was he reading one?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: No, I actually because we we just left after that he stayed. I think they stayed. Yeah, okay, and I've never seen him since I got my God, that's a lifestyle.
Speaker 3: Big shout out to Cusic. Why is that story not true? He's banned from sparm h.
Speaker 1: Only during the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, during the day all strip clumps with animals in the title, David is no longer welcome out. So that means no crazy horse, no spimitt rhino, no kittens.
Speaker 1: So let's get back as well as shut before we get sued. Yeah. I do love the level where this conspiracy is played. But like, there may not be anything more we need to say about the Epstein stuff, but I do agree and the Paddy stuff that.
Speaker 3: Okay, So where's that hang it?
Speaker 1: Now? Is I going?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: It makes it makes you think about those things very differently and go, okay, this is he was trying to warn us.
Speaker 3: Okay, so where is he? Where's the party? Where's the actual party? Like the first party? I know, the sorry that the orgy house. Did they film that in I'm not aware a house built by one of the Rothschild's banking dynasty dynasty? Yes, yeah, come on. And it was the first portrait gallery in the world, right, and you know a lot of the art was Dunbay his wife in the that are on the walls that aren't based on real ones. And if you look at the masks, the masks are just a catalogue of art history and symbolism. Where there's a guy wearing an Illuminati face mask just flat out just right there, pyramid eye and you always shut up at what are you talking about? Don't know? Stanley chose every single mask, of course, And this great bit where the wardrobe master had been looking at g strings for a year. I heard that Yes, gets their day one and goes, don't like them, go get more g strings. What is saying? And this is where what is happening?
Speaker 1: And I'm kind of conflict because they're going to go, Yes, he makes great art and the results are all there on screen, but could he have got the results with the It's still the same film with a different g It's not that.
Speaker 3: He just won't. He just won't do that. And that's what Kobridge Boxes is about. The great documentary John Ronson made it in two thousand and six where you see all the boxes of all of the stuff that he's kept of research throughout his journey with films, right, every single thing that he's kept, and he kept every bit of fan letter and he had FP fan Positive, fan FN fan Negative and then CRANK for Crazy People. And they ask his assistant why do you keep all the letters? He goes, oh, they were like people in the field for us, because someone would write in from like Ohio and say hey love two thousand and one. It was a bit dark when I saw it, and Kubrick would read it, ring up the cinema or get them to send the print back to make sure it was done correctly.
Speaker 1: He almost look at every print before it goes.
Speaker 3: Out, did every look every print? And then he would he would measure every ad in the newspapers to make sure he wasn't getting less than he'd been argued that he was allowed to have. So just that's the dude.
Speaker 1: A fun guy to work with, so much fun.
Speaker 3: But that's the other thing. They all stay for thirty years, all of the people in his thing because they were such a small crew. So you go, goy, this guy must be a nightmare. No, they all love him except the actors. He destroys. The minds of actors seem to be the one group of people where he doesn't. These I just destroy their mind. I just ruined their life.
Speaker 1: So Nicole Keipman seems to have a great time.
Speaker 3: A year more, she said, I would have done a year more.
Speaker 1: Where Tom Cruise I think had I think.
Speaker 3: Now he's very deferential, and he says Stanley was difficult, not difficult, but interesting. However, however, this is the film that pushes him out of anything even resembling human relations. Ever, again, so he does this, He does Magnolia quickly, he does Vanilla Sky. I think it's called I can't remember, right, Vanilla Skuy's right. And then he goes, this isn't for me, and he goes into action Man, Edge of Tomorrow, Oblivion, Mission Impossible, them reydes Maverick. This is the film that makes him go into personal relationships. Not for me in term in trying to make stuff.
Speaker 1: That's interesting, isn't it? Because he was he was very good.
Speaker 3: He was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and both of them, we should say, I think both of them. I think Nicole Kimman, who actually won I think the Blockbuster Performer of the Year award. You would have got a vote in that most did, Yeah, yeah? And and and Tom. Look Tom, he's wonderful, is Tom. He's still Tom Cruise, But it's great to see him. Yeah, play somebody who's not trying to save the world, and I still like him trying to. I think Tom Creuse. I am pro Tom Cruise. I think he is the movie star of our time.
Speaker 3: YEP, that's a fair court. And so so he loves so he's like, oh, I don't know about something, Now do you want to? And so when do we get to most interesting tidbits from this movie?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Okay, ready, okay. One Kubrick's daughter, one of the daughters who was a photographer and going to be a filmmaker and was going to be a score films. She would score them under a pseudonym leaves London, leaves the family during the production of this to go to Los Angeles to join Scientology.
Speaker 2: You got it?
Speaker 3: Holy shit?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: Okay, Like, which is what more do you need? Friends?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Holy shit? And this is the point in Tom's life where he's drifted. So every time there's scientoldist, there has to be two around, so that one of the other actresses in this film with scientologists, right, they sort of go in twos anyway, big shout out to them if they're listening. Okay, So there's okay. So then the roth childs the wardrobe. Yeah, here we go, Harvey Kai tell that's a good one.
Speaker 1: The Cribricks daughter, do you know if she stayed with Scientology?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they don't. You don't. She's like sitting in her sixties now and you don't hear anything. I was looking up yesterday. You don't hear anything after this one. Isn't that nuts?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Here's a memo that's Stanley so Camery Stanley Kubrick kept all memos that he sent to people. Of course, always please always have three, always have melon on set. Never less than three Stanley.
Speaker 1: Melon or melons.
Speaker 3: Isn't that great? I have to have three melons on set.
Speaker 1: Three melons. That's that's yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean he's just is everything you ever want him to be, all right.
Speaker 1: I mean is that because he likes like eating melons? Like or the superstition?
Speaker 3: I think. See that's the thing no one ever knows. No one ever knows. Here's the last one. How goes this? Kubrick's in the jazz bar and he looks at the camera twice, amateur, I know, it's so funny. It's like, what are you doing? He looks at the camera and looks at Tom Cruise twice. So he's got a cameo in his own film and he looks at the camera. It's just the weirdest thing. It is the weirdest piece of cinema you've ever seen in your whole life.
Speaker 1: We should give a shout out that the Todd Field who plays Nick. So for those who don't know who, he directed recently Tar with Kate Blanchette. Then there's another Cape Blanchett connection.
Speaker 3: Okay, if you want to do it? Or should I do it? She voices the masked woman who tells Tom he's in danger at the sex party. How good is that?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 3: When it ready for a todd Field full story, Full circle? He directs it in the bedroom right when you had Tony on and he talked about Top Gun and he was his favorite story of talking about nineties and talking about when people just had conversations. And he says, there's a film in there's this bit in the there's a bit in a film where Quentin Tarantino is talking to someone at a party and he's describing why Top Gun is a homo erotic film. Isn't he talking to todd Field in that scene?
Speaker 8: Ah?
Speaker 3: I think he might be y, Yes, yes, Now we're in the kup brick zone. Yeah, fun, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, little children, Little Children was the other one he made, Yes, and yeah.
Speaker 3: It's I think that's all the craziness I've got. There's so much, one more, one more, one more. He was such an expert in lighting that he would sometime times secretly go and help light sequences for other films. Kubrick is responsible for the lighting is Going Star Wars in the major action sequence of the rain of the James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me? Right, what the fuck is that ship?
Speaker 1: Imagine coming up the set, you might have had a look, we've got three more days of ship?
Speaker 3: Has that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's incredible. What about the rainbow theory?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, Well, because you know there's three rainbow rainbow lens flares in the film now a lens flair. He's such a perfectionist that he left them in and it's like he would never do that.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a rainbow in the in the in the costumes as part of the signage. And also that when Tom Cruise is being led out at that party. But the two you know, gorgeous women, they you want to hear where we're going. We're going to the end of the rainbow.
Speaker 3: So so yes, that's basically yes, he's doing it, and he's doing it on purpose and that's why he's there.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 3: Also that costume shop, he had his nephew photographed costume shops in London for a year to get the right look. Yeah, I reckon, I got it close on a rack and a aisle in the middle and some costumes in the window.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and we can change the costumes. If you're life you want the stand, we can bring other costumes. If you have anyone, you have you back, if you want mate, No one cares. How funny is there a cage at the door, Uncle Stan? Most costume shops don't have a cage at the door. Lombards is more trusting that have a security alarm, but they don't have a cage.
Speaker 3: There's there's a stand. You'll be shocked. There's a very few ram raids to get Austin Powers costumes.
Speaker 1: Let's just have a listen to what really sets this. It's almost the turning point or the inciting incident, which is a converse. What do you think of Nicole's stoned acting terrible?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but she's terrible in the way that she's doing what she's being asked to do. So that took a week or two weeks that scene. Imagine this, everyone, You're in one room with your then husband pretending to be stone for two weeks while a man with glasses says, do it again, do it again? Do it again? Yes, you would go crazy.
Speaker 1: And she has gone crazy and I know that, and I got the highest opinion of Nicole Kim and there's an artist, I think, and she would have given other performances which to us may have appeared like a better version of Stone that Stanley obviously has not gone with. This is the version after shooting that many takes that he went with because I think Tom was even like, oh, I want to do something a bit different, and he's like he wanted Tom Cruise.
Speaker 3: Yes, but he's trying. I personally, my personal theory is that he's thought I might be able to break Tom Cruise here to get the Tom out of Tom Cruise, and Tom Cruise won that battle of wills. I think this is the thing that this is why I bring it up again. I reckon and this is the thing that steals Tom Tom Cruise to go nap.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 3: I am unbreakable no one, and I'm going to be Tom Cruise from now on because there's no way, no way am I going to sit here and have someone else tell me to not be Tom Cruise. I'm Tom Cruise. That's it. That's what we're doing from now on. From now on, I'm being Tom Cruise, and you just can get fun.
Speaker 1: I'm going to Tom Cruise the fun out, you know what.
Speaker 3: I mean, because that's what he does. After this, he goes, no, I'm tom Cruise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, let's have a listened to the fantasy that she let's just see himrom their weekend or the week away at Cape Cod Done.
Speaker 5: Afternoon, Helena went to the movies with her friend and you, and we made plans about our future, and we talked about Helena.
Speaker 8: And yet.
Speaker 5: At no time.
Speaker 1: Was he ever.
Speaker 2: Out of my mind. And I thought, if he.
Speaker 11: Wanted me, even if it was only for one night, I was ready to give up everything.
Speaker 2: You Helena, my whole fucking future, everything.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's it's a great it's a great device or whatever you want to call it to send Bill off onto this this night of like what the fuck is going on? Yes, you know. And it's the addition of not just that she's prepared to cheat on Bill, that she was prepared to give up.
Speaker 3: That's the bit.
Speaker 1: Her child is the thing to be actually.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's the bit that people say is when she's falling back into her previous role as this sexual object because he's a naval officer for powerful uniformed people. So she slipped back into it there. So she's dropped the program this she's gone back into the programming that she had as a child for that and she slipped back into it, and the drugs bring it out of her to tell Tom what she was, what her life actually is, and who she really is, and that everything else is her trying to put a fucking lid on it. That everything else. I don't do it, don't do that, don't do that. Like in the Other Guys, when Will Ferrell becomes the pimp when he's really the pimp if the gate, Yeah, it's that, that's that, and that I'm going and I'm absolutely can I think that's absolutely the case. Otherwise, why make that the fantasy? Why make that the idea? Why make her say that like it's it's too on purpose not to be like that?
Speaker 1: I do love that. There's also a theory about the letter that Tongue When Tongue when Bill goes back to the roth Childs and a man comes out and hands him a letter, and it's pretty it just kind of says, don't don't stop asking questions, Yeah, move on, and the reaction seems a.
Speaker 3: Bigger like a startled yes, huge.
Speaker 1: So there's a theory that the letter, which could have easily have been reshot that the letter says something about give us your daughter.
Speaker 3: It's the insert, because that's an insert. That's one of that's one of. And now that that's triggered the memory I've got of Roger Avery and and bring that up again. But that's one of the things he mentions. He mentions inserts not looking like the rest, and that that is an insert. So if you watch it, Kubrick never does that. He'll go like, you know, the newspapers, all the newspaper headlines are lucky to be alive, and they're all really on purpose. And I actually watched a short documentary about how meticulous Kubrick was about the articles that were in the newspapers. He got a New York Post journalist to write all the articles so that they looked like genuine articles in a genuine newspaper.
Speaker 1: Shot something like an Italian version of it, like different languages for those.
Speaker 3: Markets, so that they could read their own newspaper. So that tells you how much he cares about stuff like that and the idea, and it's never an insert. That's a great point. He never goes to single shots of props. Never not the mask you remember the the perfect companion film for this is The Mask. And I've always wondered the Jim Carey comedy.
Speaker 1: Honestly, not the Eric Stalts, not the Rocky Dallas slightly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we can always wet that one. It's a greatful wank.
Speaker 8: So they.
Speaker 3: They are desperate to speak to the people who wrote the Mask, yep, to go write or Kubrick, whichever comes, remember which one rocked up for because he chucks on the mask and then Cameron Das likes him and the whole thing. You know, the mask literally gives him, gives him those powers. These films, these two movies are in perfect conversation with each other about the idea of a mask and what it leads you to. And the reason I bring that up is that's NonStop inserts of look at the Mask, Oh my god, the Mask, Oh look what it did. And Kuby just doesn't do any of that. And that's why that insert of the letter is so striking. That's a great point. Yeah, it's a great point. I never thought of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do think that that sense and if you watch it again, look at it was.
Speaker 3: Reaction was over the top for you know, Yeah, I remember thinking that. I remember when I'm thinking when he got the letter, I do remember thinking why do they leave that in? Because I'm always thinking about the takes now that I watch this film, I'm always thinking about trying to guess what take number it was.
Speaker 1: So this was re edited after Kubrick dies, and they're probably not thinking at that level of like their reaction, doesn't we'll change the letter? Yeah, And that's all this because if you imagine the reaction of Tom Cruise, Bill, you know, stop asking questions. It's probably more like a.
Speaker 3: Or like looking or yeah Tom so Tom Cruise. Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise, right. And in moments where even in this he sort of breaks through a little bit. So the sometimes you see a look he barely have a smiles credit itself. I guarantee hes told him not to smile, because as soon as he smiles, he's Tom Cruise. You're no longer a character, You're Tom Cruise, right, And so he would normally just give a glance up back to the security camera and then back to him and put it in his pocket. That's what he does for everything else. He internalizes every other reaction essentially, even the brooding on his wife's sort of non affair. That's the claps seem so big because it's the first sort of his strong reaction he gets. And then so that you're right, that is so incongruous. Even when six guys from Yale start yelling homophobic slurs at him, he has less of a reaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely weird.
Speaker 3: Did they improvise their lines? Well, did they improvise their lines? Because it's the worst piece of writing, Yes, in the history of cinema.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was horrible. Think the whole thing, that whole thing is just felt weird to me, like that doesn't really doesn't really fit with everything else. But yet I do believe Yeah, watching that, I think he is he has been startled by that whatever's in that letter, and it does the reaction does not.
Speaker 3: God, I wish I could get in such of Roger Avery. Wonder what says in the script?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure he'll come on the podcast I Reckon one day. I mentioned before how they ain't really dig deep into the the conspiracy theory of such it's it's there and you can try to work with that for yourself and this theories, which is great. And then you mentioned a voice over. They're supposed to be a voiceover because the scores are so much heavy lifting.
Speaker 3: It takes away because that was done, that was done after he's done, after and she never did another film.
Speaker 1: Let's have it. Listen to that. God, it's terrible, but it's just it really does. It puts you at unease, and it's for me. It's it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do.
Speaker 5: I do, I do.
Speaker 1: I think it's supposed to feel like it's it's ominous. Yeah, and it's uneasy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fair, but it is also shit in terms of it's all they've got.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And he and so he famously would do test screenings, so he changed every single one of his films or the Ladder films after an audience saw it, and score was often one of them. So they did this without him after it was done. There's no way, I don't reckon there's any way he would have left it the way it was.
Speaker 1: There is a theory that so in Congress that somebody said that when he presented the Warner brothers with the cut, they were outside of the room and they heard screamingsae y, yeah, you're not taking.
Speaker 3: It out, you know, yet like that, which is weird because you go, I've heard executives since then who worked with Kubrick and they never talk like that about him. There's one guy who tells a story about how he was on holiday and Kubrick was annoyed at something tiny piece of minutia about the world release of a film, and this guy didn't have the guts to tell him he was on holiday with his family until then finally said it, and Stanley he was, oh, sorry, all right, and then then got off the phone. It just doesn't seem as anyone dealt with Stanley Kubrick that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I take that with a huge grain of salt.
Speaker 3: I reckon there's a possibility they said to the family, Hey, we want this to come out. Yeah, we don't want Stanley's wishes to be correct. We can't release your We can't release your beloved patriarch's final film with this stuff in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I honestly think that that to me, You and I both know what that that's a far more realistic pressure that could have been put on.
Speaker 1: And sometimes we like to demonize the ties and suits and the execut studios and all that, and sometimes roughly so, but there is an adult conversation that sometimes needs to be had by going but this is the market, that's right. We cannot that's right, whether it's pressures from you know, whatever the last or just we cannot get this in the cinemas.
Speaker 3: No, because certainly can't get it in without it being NC seventeen, which means it's going to lose all its money and never be seen again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love that. Let's us have a final listen Sidney Pollack, So he comes in for the.
Speaker 3: Why they apparently they bring in Sidney Pollack because he'd work with crews on the firm and he knew that cruise respected him and that he was like a cruise whisper where he could keep him, keep him calm.
Speaker 1: Yeah that makes sense. Well, let's have a little listen to the city public listen, Bill, nobody killed anybody, someone died. It happens all the time. Life goes on.
Speaker 2: It always does until it doesn't.
Speaker 1: But you know that, don't you. So let's just I just want to play because I wanted his city Pulics.
Speaker 3: He's so good, he ain't doing fuck and so he's the best.
Speaker 1: Michael Clayton he's just the best.
Speaker 3: He's just the best because he ain't doing nothing. Sometimes some people, Pete are just stand on screen, be yourself and let us do the work. We will imbue you with brilliance. All you got to do is you think. And he's one of those people where he just there's the look of him. I don't know what. He's not entirely that handsome, he's just there's a presence about him being comfortable on a screen that just makes you go, fucking oath. Gary Oldman has it. Richardy Grant as it so many there are so many great actors. That's just like fuck an oath. Like when you watch old Elizabeth Taylor movies and you're like, why did everyone like Elizabeth Taylor? And you go and then she turns around in clear Patrick Jesus and you go, wow, holy moly, and you go there you go, That's what I'm talking about. That's why do you like watching screen tests.
Speaker 1: When I'm making something or just just dream In general, I don't sort them out as such.
Speaker 3: No, I urge everyone to watch as many screen tests just for fun on YouTube as you possibly can and see how much start, how much you can realize when people go holy money, because I was a reader at auditions. When I first started, I was a reader at auditions, so I saw all the big actors of the day and up and coming actors come through and do auditions, and I remember so clear I got it. After a while I realized, I was like, Oh, it's nothing to do with the acting at all. It had nothing to do with the acting. It was just what their person was, the way it shone through when it came through the little cam quarters. So I got to the point where I could start. At first, I was like, was the acting? And then the casting person was like nah. And then it got to the point where I could start to pick who they were going to go with, and often pete they had the role before the lines had started. I remember there was a young she's now very famous, a young actor that came in and she read for an American show and her accent was shit and she was nervous. And then but there was a couple of lines at the start where she was just sort of doing a thing, and then she looked up and I was like, Oh, that wasn't very good. She's like and she's like, what are you talking about? I was like, Oh, she didn't really. Her accent wasn't very good.
Speaker 6: And so.
Speaker 3: What do you mean, because she's going to be huge, what are you talking about? She no, no, no, watched this and we watched the first part of it again. I was like, yeah, you win. She had so much charisma, so much natural ability, and that's your big stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 3: It's the opposite of what happened to me on Blue Heelers.
Speaker 1: My final question for you, I'm going to let Nicole kim and ask the question I might behave.
Speaker 4: There is something very important do we need to do as soon as possible?
Speaker 1: Question? Fuck?
Speaker 3: How good?
Speaker 2: Is she?
Speaker 1: So very good?
Speaker 3: Why is that there? The last line? Well, are there a couple? Yes, yes, and that the film's over.
Speaker 1: The film's over, and you could depending on what we want to what theories you want to take into it, is that them choosing to remain a couple, the union remains, they have sacrificed their daughter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, sort of.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it's it's interesting because you're watching you're watching the movie as is presented to us. Yes, and then we're also trying to ascertain what Santacoric which saying.
Speaker 3: Which is what he wants. Yes, that's longevity. So there's different types of longevity with films. There's this is great, you need to see it. There's oh, there's this bit of this that I really like, There's this, Oh there's this aspect of this that I really like, and then there's what the fuck was going on here? And he is He is so good at what the fuck is going on here, whilst also being geez, that was really good. But this is the one where it's this is the one where it falls down. It's not great. The acting is slow, the rhythms are slow and on purpose, and there's aspects of it you're right where it's like, is this dream stuff? Irks so many people? But what gets him through? And what gets it? I can't tell you how many podcasts there are about this and YouTube because I've listened and watched them all this week and more the best one. And there's three documentaries, possibly four, And that's what keeps that's what keeps this film going, is what on earth is going on? And let's be honest that history has sort of proved this guy correct.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. I think that there are some films that are still alive, you know, they still have blood pumping through their veins, and I think this is one of those contagion obviously. Yes, you know Will Anderson for this podcast, and it's like, well, this film of a sudden.
Speaker 3: Feels yes, you know, it feels so relevant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if like Citizen Kane, you can watch it kind of go this feels you know, with the rise of Trap all of a sudden, you kind of go, yeah, this feels like it's.
Speaker 3: Blood's good like that. Josie and the Pussycats a forgotten nineties comedy about a set of a band of girls who are four who are sort of taken through the music industry. I strongly recommend anyone to go back and have a look see at Josie and the Pussycats and go, holy shit, that's Taylor Swift, that's Sabrina Carpenter, that's Olivia Orrigo. What the fuck is going It's framed as a girl band, right, sort of a girl rock band. That's and then you go, that is amazing, that is that's got so much in the margins of wow, wow, oh that's remember being it wasn't that, it was nothing, No one cared, No one cared about it. And then I don't know why, but I just remember actually my boss, my boss said because that's right. My boss, who was a Pete the music guy, he would we would watch Beach Boys documentaries NonStop. That was one of his things. And then we watched Red led Zeppelin documentaries, and then we would watch Elvis documentary and all of these things. And then one day he goes, this film came out and he's like, you, this is really good, Josie and the Pussycats. What are you doing man this And he said, no, no, trust me. He goes, this is this is this is telling us how the music industry works an incredible way. They just people have just ignored it.
Speaker 1: So okay, yeah, jose and the Pussycats. I wasn't expecting to finish.
Speaker 3: On I saw I wish I saw it again.
Speaker 1: Hell where I been paying attention.
Speaker 3: I've got to give you the last fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: So, nestled in the squiggly Los Angeles streets above the Sunset Strip Wonderland Avenue requires those blah blah blah blah blah is a secret Cold war military compound in California, where a portrait into a secret of Cold War Hollywood Propaganda Films facility at Laurel Canyon, Stanley Krubeck. There a lot secret, has the pass, has the clearance? Can wander in? They shut it down? Sure now own to buy the private residence of mister Jared Leto. Oh isn't that great?
Speaker 1: Leader?
Speaker 3: Isn't that great?
Speaker 1: Yes? Oh, I'm going to be Jared Leder might have to forget the chance to chat to him again.
Speaker 3: I ask him about that I interviewed Jared. I'll leave you with this. I interview Jared Edo twice in two days for no, twice in a month, maybe twice. Whatever point is I need to be both Jared Leedo's So first time I introduw Jared Edo was for a film, right, I can't remember which one? Clear eyed, nice enough actory answers, no dramas. Working for Triple Am, I got the privilege of coming in on a Saturday to interview Jared Leedo one on one for his band thirty seconds to Mars that day, sunglasses, T shirt, sitting back in his chair, less than one word.
Speaker 1: Answers, So is this like a day apart what you're saying?
Speaker 3: I was close together and so he had just gone what am I doing? Music? Great?
Speaker 1: Glasses, so he's playing a role.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was amazing. I'll never forget. I was like, holy shit, how perfectly self aware is that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's like you hear Jim Carrey speak about, you know, the things he likes to talk about, and and you kind of you dismiss it as like, oh, and I did an interview with Jim Carrey and it's one of my favorites just after the Oscars, the Will Smith Know and he kind of spoke about he goes in trouble with Will Smith is he doesn't know that everything's crazy around him. Like, and what I walked away from that interview going, oh, Jim Carrey makes a lot more sense, you know, because he's aware of the craziness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why he's a good impressionist. Yeah, he's a good impressionist. One of the reason he's a good impressionist is he goes, Oh, that's what they're hiding, or that's what they're that's what they're pushing forward. I know what they're pushing forward. I can, I can, that's I can pick up on that. Have you seen him as Matthew McConaughey on the Saturday on Saturday Live Jeopardy sketch replays Matthew McConaughey. Holy shit. The thing he gets perfectly right is the which I've interviewed, you know, mcconniey a few times. Is McConaughey trying to seem intelligent by waiting and sifting through answers with his eyes until he delivers the one he believes will make you go, wow, this guy's deep. And that's the bit he gets absolutely right.
Speaker 1: All right, let's let's wrap it up now because we have taken up a lot of your time, and think mate, thank you. Jane Kennedy gets the you won't See Nothing Yet Award for Most Dedication because you watched.
Speaker 3: Lord of the Rings trilogy trilogy and Lady and Maniac.
Speaker 1: She would have almost want it just for watching the Fellowship of the Ring. She went and watched to direct the start of all three. The research you have done after your own bat, you win the research.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, it wasn't off my own bat. And it's just because I was angry at the lack that Limo had done. It was a spite research. That's one of my key motivators. And the fact that when Hughesy did it he hadn't seen Pretty in Pink and I was like, yeah, but I bet we can't find a none false for a local farmboy film you haven't seen.
Speaker 1: Well. What I love about his podcast is that you can we interview I guess, range from you know, cinephiles like genuine film lovers, to people just love their movies and and and that's and that's what I do love. But I have love this is this films. Like I said, when you nominated this, I kind of thought, oh, geez one, it's a long film, and two am I gonna I didn think it'd be fun to talk to you back because it is Tom and the Cole. But I enjoyed this film so much more, Like I said, watching it for this podcast knowing I was going to chat to you about it in this time period, and I think I'll probably go back and watch it again.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, if anyone hasn't seen it, it bears a watch. And then normally I so what's happened with film now is the whole world of compendiums and sort of like films. So Tony Martin was IMDb before IMDb was IMDb right, because he just remembers things. Now you can spend like this film, you can watch it and then I strongly recommend people if they're going to do it, go and listen to some of the podcasts and see some of the YouTube stuff. And some of these people are crazy, but there will research crazy and sometimes they're not because you're if someone wants you to pick up on things or not pick up on things. This is a great way of finding new stuff in films. It's just so good this era we're living in Pete. There's never been a better time to watch a film that you haven't seen and then see what see what went into getting it done, because it's just even there's twenty seconds of Harvey kai tell saying he just maybe walk through a door for the sixtieth time and just said fuck off. Even that you're like that is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely right. There is so much it's easy to dig deep. Used to be only twenty years ago, maybe twenty five years ago, it was just hopefully it's got a DVD commentary on it. Yeah, Now it's just it's just typed the film in and you can go down rabbit holes as well. Hey, thank you for having me, Thank you so much, mate, and let's just because you love this music, let's just go out on this. Okay, maybe this one in there you go, Ed Cavalley, I loved that chat. And I got to say when he nominated Ies Wide shirt, I was a bit Okay. I'd seen the film when it came out, and yeah, I hadn't really thought too much about it since. But like we mentioned watching it in twenty twenty five in the Shadow of Pddy and Epstein, it's a different watch and I really urge you, if you haven't check it out, to watch it again. And I think there are things I think, as Ed said, I think Kubrick was trying to tell us some things, some disturbing things. But yeah, thanks for making the time very busy man, and thank you for listening. Jasney Podcast at gmail dot com. If you want to send us an email or get on our speak pipe, follow the links and yeah, we'd love to love to hear from you. Next week on the show, we have a very special guest love. We had we had Lee Wenell a couple of weeks ago for Wolfman, and that was a bit of a different episode. And this also involves somebody on a junket and it's tricky to have people watch, you know, an entire film and to do some of the research and then come in and chat to me about that whilst they're doing a thousand other interviews. So I'm happy for the right people to play with the with the rules of Yasni, and this one will be worth it. He's an actor who I've admired for a long time and it really stroked to have him on Child Out of Four is a man. He's in town for Bridget Jones mad about the Boy, so we'll be chatting to him about that, but we'll also be chatting about some of the films he's made over the years. One in particular, I'm looking forward to chatting him about his Children of Men. What a movie that just every year seems to grow and grow. You know, there's movies that we look back and go, I wasn't a Blade Runner, Saw Shake, Redemption, films that weren't necessarily a massive hit upon release, but just grow and grow over the years, and I think Children of Men, more than any other film maybe made this century, is the film that's doing that. Also. Love Actually he was in Kinky Boots and of course Twelve Years of Slave, so there's a lot to talk that child had all about, and I cannot wait to sit down with him next time. You wint see nothing yet until then bucking out, And so we leave.
Speaker 3: Old Pete safe and soult.
Speaker 1: And to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night