Speaker 1: On today's show, Lilli Brown opens up about her relationship status, Anapaul's surprising gift for her mum, Love Island's Page Thorn breaks her silence on MESSI split from Adam Collard and Instagram's suspending spree. Hello and welcome to Outspoken. It's your dose of the hottest influencer and pop culture news twice a week. I'm Kate Torbert and I'm very excited because it's only one sleep to go until my Hen's weekend.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited too.
Speaker 1: I'm Amy Torbert and Sofa and I have just left Kate waiting because we had to make a dash. It was a Facebook marketplace dash for a mystery item for your hands. That makes more sense because they're like, oh, we've just got to drive down to Mount Barker, which is quite a drive.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what the hell could possibly be there?
Speaker 1: We have to share on Instagram after your HENS party. You don't want to ruin the surprise, but it's pretty funny what.
Speaker 2: We picked up. It's a bit of a riskue item's got that risk. I'm going to be happy about it.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm Sophie Tolbert and I've been the chief party planner for this event. So I'm actually really looking forward to the it's sort of being over. I have this huge Excel spreadsheet where I'm just stressing. I've got so many different things I've got to do tomorrow. So what about me. I've got to make a Penis pinard are you? Oh my god, that just sounds like something you would do.
Speaker 2: Are you making this from hand? Like ay? I have been looking up YouTube die.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Please tell me that you're finished, because it's tomorrow. Please don't stay up all night and make us late. She's putting the finishing time.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I do believe like I do internalizings, and I shut down in the moment until it's sort of simmered and we both understand each other these perspectives and then we talk about it. Then I'm way better at that. But in the heat of the moment, if there's ever a disagreement, I can't. I just physically cannot say anything because I'm just like, I just know, I don't even know what I think right now because there's just so much going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard when I'm like hello, hello, hoo, hello, But tell me. Following on from the French toaster Barker, which we covered on Tuesday show. Jordan Seemy has clapped back at his followers with a sarcastic Instagram story. So whilst at Melbourne Cup celebrations, he reshared a photo of himself with a female friend and wrote psa female on my Instagram alert, this is my friend of five years, my sister, if you will.
Speaker 2: I thought I would just put this.
Speaker 1: On here in case you guys think otherwise. I mean, that's actually pretty funny, Like he is funny. But the thing that I have to question is, well, where is Sammy? Because she's not making an appearance on his Instagram feed. She's also not following him anymore, and he's not following her, So I would like to know what's going on. Maybe this is why Sammy likes him. He seems to have quite a good sense of humor. He's the bad boy, isn't here? You want to hate him, but then he's sort of funny at the same time, sort of charming.
Speaker 2: I feel like he's gas lighting us into play.
Speaker 1: He's still with Sammy even though the pair aren't following each other. Well, I feel like we're just gonna have to wait and see what else Jordan puts on.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he'll get her back again. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the first time was Macki's right Zaka and I saw was in the club and I was like, I love that. And then the other ones I've saw were sent to me personally.
Speaker 1: And Dm Leviolan de page Thorn has broken her silence on her from Adam Collard. The twenty five year old paramedic says VIP toilets and McDonald's runs led to the public downfall of their relationship. So before we get into it, can you give us a little bit of a refresher amy on who the couple are. Yeah, so Paige was a fan favourite from day one on Love Island. She coupled up with Jax after being a little unlucky in love in the first couple of episodes, and then she famously got screwed over by Jack's in cassa Amore and moved on to Adam Collard. So Adam was actually on series four and he came back onto the new series of Love Island sort of as a bit of a redemption. Well, apparently he was the contestant that had coupled up with the most contestants ever until Denika came on the show. Yeah, so he coupled up with four different women in only two weeks. So he entered the villa as part of a twist where he could steal one of the girls who was already coupled up, So he picked Kendall Ray Knight, but then he swiftly dumped her a week later for a new arrival called Rosie Williams. Then a few days later he dumped Rosie for another new arrival, which was Zara McDermott. Did I actually watched this series of Love Island and I can't place the first two girls. I know who Zara is because I think I actually followed Adam and Zara for a while on Instagram because they were together outside of the villa for I think just under a year. Yeah, they were together for eight months, but a lot of controversy was started because Rosie tried to call Adam out for giving her the cold shoulder, and Adam suggested that his supposed behavior was all in Rosie's head and this led to a lot of backlash from viewers and also the domestic violence charity Women's Aid, so they actually issued a warning to viewers about gas lighting and emotional abuse, and that's where I feel like the term gas lighting really came into sort of common language. Yeah. Well, I'm surprised that Love Island led him back on the show, really because he just came across as a bit of a douche. But he kept saying that he had redeemed himself, and he always spoke about how he had experienced what fame was like outside of the villa. So he was a great option for Page because he'd.
Speaker 2: Gotten it out of his syst.
Speaker 1: He warned her that all the other guys would beg and caught up in that sort of nightclub scene after leaving. He seemed so much older than the other Islanders though, and he's only like twenty six.
Speaker 2: I feel like that is old in England, you.
Speaker 1: Have babies really young. Well, in Love Island, he's an older Islander. But everybody did warn Page against Adam. She hadn't actually seen his series of Love Island, but all the other women seemed turned off by him. Yeah, well, it wasn't really that surprising when in September a video emerged on TikTok of Adam CosIng up to a mystery blonde woman at MacDonald's after a night out, so in the video we also see him leaving the McDonald's with her.
Speaker 2: He had his arms all.
Speaker 1: Over her and this video attracted a lot of attention on TikTok, so at the time, Adam's reps had to put out a statement and they denied that there was anything untoward going on. They said Adam headed to McDonald's after a night out with friends. His friends were alongside him when a group of girls asked for photos, and Adam, being his friendly self, was open to posing and chatting to the girls. Adam understands how his video looks, but wants to state that he left the restaurant with his friends and a box of sixty nuggets with nothing or no one else with the intention of getting home.
Speaker 2: Save sixty nuggets.
Speaker 1: I don't really understand why this random inclusion of sixty nuggets in. They're trying to be funny like ha ha or such time. I prove that he's not out rooting a girl, because you're not going to eat like sixty nuggets before you try and impress some girl. It's a very odd inclusion. And they finished up the statement by saying that Adam and Page are currently dating and Adam only has eyes for her. It was a very bizarre statement. It was not really professionally written either. I love the pages come out since and set the records straight on the Saving Grace podcast, So she confirmed that she is single, and she went into depth about the cheating scandal. So the host asked Page she knew the girl in the MacDonald's video, and Page confirmed that she has no clue who the girl is and that she is not a friend of Adam's like he claims. Well, it was kind of awkward because Adam initially came out and said, oh, yeah, she's a friend of mine. Then he had to come out and say, oh, she was just a fan, Like it was all just muddled. My favorite part of the interview was when Page referred to McDonald's as Mackie's.
Speaker 2: I'm so cute Page, she was so.
Speaker 1: Cute in that interview. She kept saying these one line as well on my violent and then she's like, oh, I wasn't portrayed as myself.
Speaker 2: It's like you were exactly what I saw on the show. Well, Page did.
Speaker 1: Drop a huge bomb during that interview because she said there's a lot more to the story than is already in the public domain. So she said that there are way more incriminating videos that the public don't know about. So she explained that she has received lots of videos in her dms from that night, and they filmed Adam's behavior at the nightclub.
Speaker 2: So they were at the nightclub before. Yeah, Mackie, that's right.
Speaker 1: So one video showed Adam going into a VIP toilet with a random girl.
Speaker 2: Here's what Paige said, do you.
Speaker 4: Know what, It's not just some videos. There are other videos which other people don't know about.
Speaker 2: So it's a lot more too, with different people, the different people.
Speaker 4: Of the same night in different locations. That's so bad is because I was sat there and I was like, at first, like, nagin know what, It's just an arm I get, everyone's a little bit flirty. It's nothing to it. I'm in the club and a guy put some rummy.
Speaker 1: Is it she in? No?
Speaker 4: And then these other videos come out yeah, and I'm like, oh, I can't justify this with other girls. Yeah, with other guys, their bedrooms involved, more like vip toilets. That it's fine, It's fine, keep a fay baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well apparently not.
Speaker 1: I felt so sorry for her because Page revealed that she found all this out at exactly the same time as the general public. What a burn though, for Adam Khllard to reveal that, because it just plays into that image people had of him before his second appearance on Love as Well.
Speaker 2: She said that she got collar.
Speaker 1: Aded and that term was going around social media when he was on Love Island in series four. It's really unfortunate though, because Page now is getting controlled because a lot of people preferred her with Jack's over Adam Collard. Because I still feel like there was something dodgy going on with the show, like they made Jacks look so good when he was clearly kicked out for bad behavior. She did touch on that, and she said that there was no funny business about it because people were saying, oh, did he abuse Adam and was he forced to leave? But she said no, he genuinely had to leave for his mental health. Well, the host, Grace I loved how she asked all those tough questions. So she did say, is there a chance that you would get back together with Jack's? And Paige revealed that there has been slight contact between the pair, but she confirmed that no lip action has taken place yet, and she said that obviously they had a vibe in there. However, he did her over, so she's going to see where things go. But she did say I'm in zero rush to be with any other man because men are trash. She literally said men are trash several times and this obviously stirred up a lot of media attention, with everyone assuming that she and Jack's was getting back together, but she later confirmed that they've literally only had one phone call and they're just friends at the moment. Do you know who is feeling very smug worried about now, Paige's mum, because Page's mum infamously came on the show on the last couple of episodes where they came into the villa and met the couple and was like, I don't like out, He's bad news. Yeah, it was a big I told you so a moment for her. What I hated was that Paige also revealed in another interview that Adam literally ghosted her after the whole MacDonald's video incident. So he was actually on holidays in Bali and she was still in the UK, and she said that he wasn't texting her back, so he would leave her messages on red for the entire day, and she said that at that moment she knew that they were done and it was beyond a joke. So Adam finally did reply, and he all he said was I didn't want it to go this way, but at least we both know where we stand.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what a wankert.
Speaker 1: He made her his girlfriend after coming out of the villa. Another thing that really surprised me because I think Paige is just such a catch. I can't believe these guys continue to treat her like this. So Paige was engaged prior to the show, and she was working as a paramedic and got a text message from her fiance dumping her whilst on her shift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whilst on her shift. Poor thing. So then about a week later she noticed.
Speaker 1: That he was already on Tinder, so she thought, fuck it, I'm going to go on Love Island. He can watch me in a bikini flirting with guys all summer.
Speaker 2: What a fuck you?
Speaker 1: Good morning everybody. Lily Brown has opened up about a relationship and financial status during an Instagram Q and A on Tuesday Night. The Sleepwere Entrepreneur also slammed podcasts and people who tried to find gossip out about her. Okay, I feel like we're in the firing line a little bit there.
Speaker 2: What did Lily have to say? I know it was a little bit awkward.
Speaker 1: Well, she was answering a question about whether she sees herself being an influencer forever, and she said no because she likes her privacy. Now, she went on to say, though, ironically, keeping things private actually makes people more intrigued. Lily said she gets the whole you signed up for this bullshit, but she then went to say, going out of your way to find information about someone, stalk their socials, stalk my socials, message my friends for tea have podcasts, and all this fake news written and said about you or your friends and stuff that I have purposely kept offline is fucking trash behavior in my opinion. She also revealed that she's taken a step back from posting because she was tired of everyone picking apart her opinion. Now, is this in reference to her boyfriend that she her previous boyfriend that she didn't want to have on social I think it's all down to the whole Brownie incident when her and m Davies decided to share that they were taking a weed brownie before going to Balley. I think there would have been a lot of journals digging for information about her and m Davies. Look, I actually agree with Amy. I think it's more about her relationships because she has kept her last two boyfriends offline and there has been a lot of speculation which will go into about her and Christian.
Speaker 2: How the thing is.
Speaker 1: I can see where Lily is coming from regarding people messaging her friends for tea like that's too far. However, I think slamming people for looking at her page that's public and then looking at someone else's page that's public and putting two and two together, particularly when she has been dropping all these clues about her and this Christian how guy, Like she's not talking, She's posted so many TikTok's flirting with him, She's put up Q and A's on YouTube talking about how she slept with some guy in Barley. Like, clearly people are interested in going to put two and two together. It's a bit like the Jordan Simmy thing, Like you can't dangle this bit of information in front of people and expect people not to look further into it. When you've revealed so many details previously about your life, people are going to be interested at human nature, That's the thing. The alternative is people no longer being interested in your life and unfollowing you. I don't know why people get so worked up about fun tea or drama. I know it wouldn't be nice if people are abusing you, but you've almost just got.
Speaker 2: To have a bit of a laugh about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the thing is you can't expect to monopolize on your status as an influencer but then not take the bad that comes with the good. It's like essentially biting the hand that feeds you. I mean, Lily has a very successful sleepwear brand based on the fact that she is an influencer and has created this audience for herself. I mean, it's pretty interesting because there are so many people like Lily, like Shahnee Grimmand and Sammy Robbins and these og influencers that are trying to make this switch influencer to successful business woman and entrepreneur, and I'm wondering how that's going to go if some of them do actually step away from last. So I think the different thing is for instance, with Sammy Robinson. Obviously I am a fan of her. I think that she is actually quite talented with fashion. She's very fashion forward. That is obviously a strength of hers, so I think that her brand. If Sammy doesn't have a huge profile, I think Sammy's brand would still be popular. However, perhaps something like a sleepwear brand, which is a bit of a dimer does, and I don't know whether that popularity would extend when Lily Brown perhaps is no longer popular on social media. I think it's interesting that these influencers are turning to the business world because I think what they've realized is that when you're young, it seems probably fun to be famous and people know everything about you and pay for not doing much, and they've experienced what that's actually like and have realized that it's shit. And now they can see, oh, actually I can earn all this money through do my own business, staying off my social west that has the income it is And I think that they it shows that they've actually sort of matured. Yeah, it is interesting, and I think because influencing is so relatively new, we are going to start seeing whether that if that is a success or not for these people. Now, despite Lily saying she was sick of people speculating about things that she was keen to keep private, she did bread crumb more information about her relationship with Christian House. So just to remind you guys, back in September, when she was holidaying in Bali, Lily shared several videos to TikTok with Christian and they were very flirtatious, so they did a muk bung where there was a lot of sexual innuendo. They also filmed a video of them slapping each other in the face with Tutias, and later on, as I mentioned, Lily did a Q and A with Michael Finch where she confirmed she had slept with someone in Balley. So everyone is putting it all together and thinking that is Christian. So basically Lily's Q and A was filled with questions about Christian, and Lily confirmed that she doesn't have a boyfriend and isn't dating Christian. She said that she does love him dearly though, and he's very special to her. Else then wrote why don't you just date Christian? You have great chemistry, and she wrote this seems a bit invasive, Haha, We definitely do. Neither of us are looking at getting into a relationship. At the moment, we enjoy each other's company as friends. So just keeping it that way for now. That's all I'm saying about it now, So no one asks any more questions, please. I think it's quite clear from looking at his profile and just looking, not stalking, from looking at his profile that he's living this different lifestyle in Bali. He's living this single guy lifestyle plarting. Yeah, he looks like a fuck boy. I'm sure that they probably there was something going on between them, but they've reached that point where no one's ready to commit. I love this notion of here's some more information about me and Christian, but don't ask any more questions. I need you guys to help explain this, and maybe some people in the Facebook community can so. When I was having a look at these videos on TikTok, influencer m Davies, who was on the trip with Lily, kept leaving these two emojis on Lily and also Christian's videos.
Speaker 2: So I get the egg plant emoji. But before it was an otter.
Speaker 1: Aren't otters really set active or don't they like go down on one another? Or something isn't there some weird thing with otters. I don't know, is that some reference to a vagina?
Speaker 2: It's collecting drift? Is it meant to that's beaver? Yeah? But is it meant to be like collecting a plan?
Speaker 1: But isn't it like isn't there's not an emoji of a beaver? So is that the closest one? I think there is a bever e it's someone who's more in tuned with what's going on in the Facebook community. Can you let us know? I found the way that Lily spoke about money really interesting, and it is clear now that she has a business, so her priorities are changing. And one of Lily's followers said to her, I'll get that doo or bag that you're always talking about, and she responded saying, couldn't imagine spending that money on a fucking handbag these days? Haha, Not when you've got people's wages to pay. She also revealed that she is no longer getting a new car, so she said that she had to pull the pin on it because there's a few big invoices for chill coming up, and that she had to put her big girl pants on and think about what's more important. Now. I'm not trying to be a dick, but my heart doesn't really bleed for Oh no, I can't get my k new car. I don't think she's trying to say that. I think she's actually just opening up and saying, I'm actually investing in this business.
Speaker 2: She obviously wants.
Speaker 1: To be known as more than just an influencer. She wants her business taken seriously. Well, the thing is, she did say that she's thinking of selling her current car, which is a Mercedes, and you might remember it from a vlog that she did, So she has changed a lot when you think about her priorities now, because I remember that it was this big thing when she got the Mercedes and she did a vlog showing everyone around it, and now she's thinking of downsizing her car so she can use the money to go to Europe. Are you excited at this? Are you excited at this?
Speaker 3: She's going to give them such ugly names, that's like can worm mer cute names like come on, you can't beat that.
Speaker 1: Anna Paul has surprised her mum with a Sphinx cat. The latest edition is the Paul family's third hairless cat. I just love that they keep collecting these hairless cats because I feel like it's a big fuck you to everyone that was saying that it was a publicity stunt, because about a year and a half ago, when Anna announced that she was getting a new Sphinx cat and had named it Nutsack, the whole internet went into meltdown, including ourselves. We thought it was stupid, and we were very skeptical about it. We didn't think it was stupid that she was getting a cat. We thought it was a bit disrespectful to call the cat nutsack. But now now that I know her person, you know, or Nutty, Now I love her, Now I love the cats. I'm like, what's kind of funny? Well, apparently Anna said that someone even called animal services on them, was okay?
Speaker 2: Or was that a listener from the podcast?
Speaker 1: Well, I think Anna and her brother Adas have definitely proven the skeptics wrong because Adas has his own Sphinx cat called Mister Wormy, and Anna of course has Nutsack, and they're very dedicated to their cats, so you'll often see on their TikTok that they have personalized accessories with their cats on it. They even have a new artwork in their house of mister WORMI are nutsack.
Speaker 2: That was my favorite part of the video.
Speaker 1: When it flashed onto that artwork, I was like, I need to get one of these if my cats Gg and Betley was so funny. They're really part of the Paul Family brand now because they even appeared on the stack stickers. They were stick as a wearing and nutsack.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the video that Anna shared about getting this new hairless cat was really cute. So Anna explained that her mom's dog Angel had passed away three years ago and that her mum still had a lot of love to give, so she decided that she wanted to get a kitten for her as a surprise. Now I need to throw to this clip because it really cracked me up. When Anna was talking about cats.
Speaker 2: I just loved it.
Speaker 1: Because she had to explain that she was talking about her cat and she literally held up knotsack and he just looked like a nutsack.
Speaker 2: Like it was just so funny.
Speaker 1: Now, after picking up the cat, Anna and her boyfriend Glenn and also Adas stopped off at kmart to get the kit in a blanket because apparently sphinx kittens get really cold and they start shivering if they're not covered.
Speaker 2: In a blanket.
Speaker 1: So Anna ended up wrapping the kitten in this blanket and put it inside a gift box and present it to her mum. Now, I think her mum was expecting some sort of designer handbag. So when she opened it up until this came ut rug, she's kind of like, oh, okay, I thought you were going to say that the bold cat was in there, and she's like.
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 1: She thought it was glazed donuts. She thought it was going to be a box of donuts. So she suddenly saw the cat's head poking out and got very excited, and they kept saying like, oh, yeah, Adie has got a blanket. Glenn's got a blanket. Because when she opened up the blanket box, and it just reminded me on South Park when they kept saying blanket when they had that micro tracks on the episode Blanket. I'm dying to know what this cat is called. Charlie's got a funny name. So I found it pretty funny because in the video, Anna and Addis were like saying how worried they were that the mum was going to call it something bad, and I'm like, are you're seriously so now followers were very keen to find out the name. Someone wrote in the comments asking like, haws, your mom come up with a name, and Anna said her mom hadn't named it yet because she wanted to get a feel for it his personality. Anna added, We're hoping it's something cute. Mom is weird with names. Now I can see where Anna was coming from, because when they finally revealed the name, there.
Speaker 2: Was this full story.
Speaker 1: So her mom is German, and apparently Anna and Addas actually only speak to the mum in German, which I really interesting. And Anna was explaining that her mum loved the show Pippy Long Stockings, the German version of it, and apparently there was this monkey that was her pet and it had some strange German name which I'm not even going to try pronouncing, even though I have German heritage. So there were all these like weird names, and then Annas like, why don't you just call it Pippy? So they've gone with Pippy, not Penis or something pippy nuts.
Speaker 2: I think penis is just well, I suppose not. That's pretty of it.
Speaker 1: It could sound like Peep peep and pepe.
Speaker 2: You're above everyone.
Speaker 1: You do, you do your work grounds on your high helps.
Speaker 2: I'm used to don't even fucking know me. I don't want to you crack on with your thing and you and your fringe.
Speaker 4: Can oh my god, the mouth be.
Speaker 1: This week, millions of Instagram users were reeling after discovery they'd either been logged out of their accounts or told their accounts were suspended. Now, kay, you were one of those people either got a friend antique message at about one am.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So I was actually going to like a photo of your dog on Instagram and something had like screen white screen popped up, and I was like, your account's been suspended, and I was like what, Yeah, I got so confused because your comment disappeared. Yeah, and I was so annoyed because I was like, have I done something wrong? And I read the list of things that you know, apparently why your account get to spend it suspended. I'm like, I haven't even done any of it. I know. I loved it because I was frantically googling. And then this news article popped up. It was actually on the Daily Mail that said so many users had been suspended. It was a huge Instagram glitch, and I was like, thank goodness because it's your Hends party coming up. As we've discussed it, I need to share my snapping clar So this problem was solved by Instagram within a few hours and they did apologize, so they said, we've resolved this bug now. It was causing people in different parts of the world to have issues accessing their accounts and it caused a temporary change for some of the numbers of followers. Sorry, so lots of people were freaking out. Everyone turned to Twitter because Instagram was down and like my business profile and dropping thousands and thousands of followers. So Cristiano Ronaldo his follower account dropped by three million, isn't that because he's the most followed, one of the most followed people on Instagram. He has got four hundred and ninety three million, so I don't think he would have been missing those three million. Within a few hours they were back on. So basically it shows you how many people were affected because three million followers of his their accounts are affected, so they disappeared. I'm not one of them, no, but there has been similar issues with the app in the past where users have been unable to access their accounts. However, they've never been told their accounts were suspended. So users who were sent this suspension notice were given the opportunity to appeal the decision within thirty days, but the notice said that if we can't confirm your account.
Speaker 2: It will be permanently deleted.
Speaker 1: I freaked out because I was trying to fill out the form to say I haven't done anything wrong, can you please reneg on this, and then it wouldn't let me send it because then I had to verify my intro gram account, which I couldn't log into, So.
Speaker 2: I was like, this is fuck.
Speaker 1: Do we actually think that this was a glitch or do we think this was a cyber attack on Instagram. I think it was a glitch and it has actually resulted in the shares of Mesa who owns Instagram going down, So on the day of the outage, their stock price fell by five percent. So maybe TikTok, maybe TikTok tried to get in there. Well, Sophie, there is a theory that the suspension messages may be a sign of things to come, and this isn't for the users who receive them, but these are for the hundreds of thousands of bought accounts that are currently in existence. Because back in September, there were media reports that some of the world's biggest Instagram accounts were losing millions of followers. So Bernardo again, he dropped by one point six million followers and Kim Kardashian lost two point four million followers. I feel like we've got to explain what bot accounts are because they are predominantly fake accounts, so basically.
Speaker 2: Not finsters, but not finsters.
Speaker 1: Yes, so it's companies who have created fake accounts to then sell followers to people. Yeah, so it doesn't necessarily mean that people like Kristin Ronaldo and Kim Kardashian have bought the bots. That's exactly right, Sophie. So everybody on Instagram has bot accounts following them. So the CEO of hype Auditor, which is a program that audits social media accounts, he said that he suspects the drop in numbers is due to Instagram purging in active or fraudulent accounts. So he said it's common for Instagram as well as Twitter and YouTube to do this from time to time. So it's not a reflection on celebrities like Kim Kardashian because everybody has these bots following them. That being said, it can be a reflection on some influence definite accounts because there are a number of influencers who would have started off by buying accounts to make their accounts look legit, and I think that they're the ones who are probably very worried about this coming out. Well, that's right, Sophe, because follower fraud is one of the most prevalent issues that has arisen in the influencer space, and I've found this stat really startling. So according to Statista, forty nine percent of Instagram influencers participated in follower fraud. Really, like, do you mean over the last ten years or more recently. Well, they traced accounts from twenty twenty one and they said of the accounts they looked at, there was over one hundred and thirty million accounts, forty nine percent of them had fake followers. And further investigation showed that one in four influencers purchased fifteen percent of their total followers, and every three and four influencers purchased over ten thousand followers. So the main reason, as you said, Sophie, is probably when these wanna be influencers first start their accounts, a lot of people will go and buy say ten thousand followers, so they look legit and they have that social proof. Well that's the thing. A lot of our clients with our PR company, who immediate, they will ask us, how can I tell if this person has a legitimate following? And one of the best ways is to look through who follows them and you can quickly determine whether someone is a bot account or not. But it is really difficult because some people even go as far as purchasing likes and also views. So I had to deal with an influencer who was ripping this business off. So she went into this business. She was being paid to post and also use some of their products, and she ended up paying for thousands of views and thousands of likes to make it look really popular. But they literally had no one calling in to go and do the same experience as her, So they were like, what is going on? Why isn't this making sense? And that's the thing where influencers start getting caught out. Because you can have a large following, you can buy your followers, you can buy your likes, you can buy your views. But when you start launching your own brand and no one's buying it because literally everyone that follows you is fake or working with other brands and using discounacteries where they can track how popular you've been.
Speaker 2: You can literally get found out.
Speaker 1: And I think we've seen that with quite a few Australian influences when they go out on their own and they're not as successful as you would expect them to be. And there are some big influencers who may have legitimately built a following, but then some of them will actually go and buy fowers as well because they want to be seen to be growing their following because that is really appealing to brand because brands are more likely to partner with an influencer who shows follower growth. Now, all of this talk about influencers losing followers, maybe want to do a bit of an investigation of my own into Australian influences.
Speaker 2: So I had to look at some of the biggest.
Speaker 1: Influencers in Australia that we talk about often, and people like Tyliscaines and Sammy Robinson. They both lost followers on the Monday when Instagram had their sort of crash and ended up regaining them the next day. It was the same for Saffron Baker, a UK influencer, and Michael Finch. They all regained the thousands of followers they lost, but I saw something really strange. So people like Madison Wooley and Sarah's Day, they both over the last thirty days have lost over three thousand followers and they weren't affected on the Monday at all. And this trend seems to be continuing across the last couple of months, where they are just consistently losing thousands of followers. Yeah. I noticed it too with Shany Grimm and she losing a lot of followers every single day. Tylia Scaines lost six thousand this month. So do we think that this is part of Instagram's clearing out of body counts or do we think this is because their content isn't popular. I actually think it may have something to do with the bots. Maybe it's more difficult now to actually purchase followers than it was at the start of the year because a lot of these influences like Madison Woolly, Sarah's Day, Shanie grimmand they all at the start of the year were gaining thousands.
Speaker 2: And thousands of follows.
Speaker 1: I mean I saw Madison Willy and in August twenty nineteen gain over forty five thousand followers in one week.
Speaker 2: That which is very suspicious.
Speaker 1: And to put that into perspective, someone like Abby Chatfield who was on The Bachelor, she gained fifty thousand followers in a week because she was on the show. Well, I think that's all we've got time for today. Thank you for listening to another episode of Outspoken. Today's podcast was recorded on the traditional land of the Ghana people of the Adelaide Planes. We pay respect to elders past and present. If you have enjoyed today's episode, we would absolutely love it if you can share where you're listening from on Instagram and also make sure you are subscribed on Apple Podcasts and also Spotify