Speaker 1: Ash. It's not often that we can say that the guest who's going to jump on this podcast is one that you've had sex with. Oh look at Rosy. Your cheeks are going you have flustered.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I do not wish to talk about it. Look, I'm happy she's here. Let's be honest. We are a little worried.
Speaker 1: We are, of course talking about April, who is your beloved wife.
Speaker 2: I thought we were talking about your um.
Speaker 1: Oh c hey, hey, sorry, sorry, sorry, Let's not go there. April is going to dish all the dirt on her husband God the co host of this podcast, Two Doting Dads. His name is Ash Wicks. Ash, you worried about what the listeners are going to find out today?
Speaker 2: Not at all. No, A little bit worried, tiny bit. But we'll get through. I'm sure we'll get through.
Speaker 1: She has been one of the most requested guests that we've ever had, and it's taken a very long time, lots of convincing that this is a good idea. All right, as she is excited, let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Stop touching my knee.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to two doting dads and one doting mum. I am Mattie J.
Speaker 2: I'm ash and April she is everyone much anticipated. I think we've teased it the most.
Speaker 1: But this is a podcast all about parenting.
Speaker 2: It's the good, the bad, and the relatable.
Speaker 1: And April, I dare say you have a lot of advice to give.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like you have wisdom of bursting out of your seams.
Speaker 4: More so than Ashton. Probably that's about right.
Speaker 1: Can I ask we were meant to record this last week and you had a tooth or teeth removed? Did that actually happen? I wasn't sure if that was made up. They're all there, did you I.
Speaker 4: Had some dental work, yeah, and so I decided to postpone see the.
Speaker 2: Mouth mechanic and waste all that money down there, Okay.
Speaker 1: Because I was like, maybe maybe this will never happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, she played hard to get for a little while.
Speaker 4: I was I was going to cancel this morning.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I was expecting when I came in the front door, I didn't think you'd be upstairs. I thought you'd be like running errands. But it's great to.
Speaker 2: Have you heard.
Speaker 3: Have you?
Speaker 1: Finally, I do want to say we don't have many listeners.
Speaker 2: Not many.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying this to make but they were all very excited on Facebook, on Instagram, the Facebook man, on the Facebook. Everybody was very keen to hear your voice.
Speaker 4: That's reassuring, I hope.
Speaker 1: One of them. The most common questions we had was the story of how you and ash Met. Can you recall the day, yeah, at.
Speaker 2: The time, exact moment.
Speaker 1: How did you two come together?
Speaker 4: So our stories may vary, but my story goes, well, we did know each other at the age of like fourteen through mutual friends from high school.
Speaker 2: April went out with one of my friends in high school.
Speaker 4: That's not really how we met, Like, no, no, we just knew each other.
Speaker 1: And then was what was your opinion of ash or was he just kind of someone you knew a little bit? Are we like, Oh, he's quite nice, he's fun.
Speaker 4: I didn't really know him that well. I just knew who is, what his name was, and who he was and whatnot. There was no reputation, no reputation. No, I think he was fourteen, so he was just another boy, just.
Speaker 2: Another set of legs.
Speaker 1: And so how long was it before you guys introduced romantically?
Speaker 4: So I think you moved down in like you moved away and then you moved back down to Sydney when you're twenty. And then we ran into each other at the pub Mona pub, No, I want to say. It was a Saturday and I was doing my usual rounds as you do when you're twenty, doing a round of the pub, and I ran into you and you stopped me in my tracks and you go like we're just sweachit chat, basic chit chat. How are you going? And then I was like, okay, I'll keep going, Like you know, I just wanted to keep going. Lap got to finish my lap like you know, single.
Speaker 2: Girl paps Mayonni's Manies exactly.
Speaker 4: And you're like, oh, just one dance because it was right next to the dance well, and I was like, oh look look I'm just on a mission and I just want to keep going.
Speaker 1: Can I say you have dance experience?
Speaker 4: Yes, you're a good dance How did you know?
Speaker 1: I remember seeing a video of you we were on the cruise and I was like, wow, April can really move.
Speaker 4: I was one of the dancers.
Speaker 1: It's a bold moves, A bold guy. Like does dance rank highly? Then you like I would always want to be with someone who's a dancer. Totally, totally.
Speaker 4: I did love a dance or but yeah, so I said on just I'll just dom around and then you're like one dance and literally I was like, okay, one dance. You know, he's pretty persuasive.
Speaker 2: Guy is going to be a long episode.
Speaker 4: And we just had a dance and I think we literally spent the rest of the night together.
Speaker 1: Was he a good dancer?
Speaker 4: I can remember his style of dance. You have to remind me what it's called. But I remember you tried to show off with you like, was it like a a crib walk or something.
Speaker 2: I regret this. It was a shuffle a.
Speaker 4: Shuffle and I don't know. I thought it was all right and yeah, and then you did like we just hung out the rest of the night and you're making me laugh and then yeah, next thing you know, we're going on some dates.
Speaker 1: I have seen some photos of the two of you when you were a little bit younger from Ash's Facebook you the two of you very attractive couple. You still are.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: I'm getting lost of words to you two are very spicy.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 1: You're very attractive?
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, you would have been like the couple. No, definitely not.
Speaker 4: I laugh about it now. But the thing I think that I was attracted to you were like your whole two tattoos that you at the time, and.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's hot, and they're like the worst tattoos I have, yeah, under my arm and under that they're like one of them was done by a tattoo artist that I was pissed and it was like, so it's so bad, and the other one was just like a dumb seventeen year old tatoo.
Speaker 1: Did you show with the tattoos that night?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just walked around these.
Speaker 4: By the way, he was skinnier than me as well. It was tiny.
Speaker 2: I was so small.
Speaker 1: The photos of you when you were younger, you're a bit of a trim young lad.
Speaker 2: Oh now what am I fat? Dad?
Speaker 1: Very clean cut?
Speaker 2: You're allowed ten kilos for every kid you have.
Speaker 1: You didn't have the mustache. No, did that version of events match what happened from you?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, that was pretty bang on. I think I tried really hard to go home with her. She said, no, kick me off the bus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we did catch a bus home, got a bus home.
Speaker 2: Well, young I was poor, and then I spent weeks weeks courting, courting weeks to the point where it was a joke between her and her friends. So I was a joke really.
Speaker 1: Because you were you were like playing hard to get.
Speaker 4: Or he was very keen. And I remember joking like because he sent like, not millions, but he said plenty of messages throughout the day. And at that time I had a job where my phone was locked away in a locker and you'd send like a couple of messages like just like, how's your day, but then another one would come.
Speaker 1: Through one You're going back to back to back.
Speaker 4: Back to back to back.
Speaker 2: In those days. Yeah, I'd never do that now.
Speaker 4: And I joked to one of my friends at the time and I was like, oh my god, this guy's so keen. Imagine if I end up marrying him.
Speaker 2: There you go, guys persistence.
Speaker 1: Do you remember after you guys met at the pub, like what your first date was? Yes, where did you go?
Speaker 4: So you'd been out like that whole day, so I think you'd been drinking as well, so you were like it does not sound like that. You were like, Oh, we should go out for dinner, but I think you need to can you pick me up?
Speaker 2: WHOA. I was out during the day, but I had tried to see April at other occasions but she was playing hard to get. And then the one occasion I was in Bondai actually, and the one occasion where she was like, oh I'm free tonight, I was. I caught up with a girlfriend of mine that had moved down as well, and we just hadn't seen each other yet. She moved to bond Diam so we caught up for a drink and lunch. I only had like two or three beers, but I got a bus and a train there, you know, thinking Okay, I'll probably just spend the evening in Bondai and see what that's about. Sure, and then it was like oh shit, So I pretty much stopped whatever I was doing and got on a bus and then got on a train. But the thing is, I was like to April, you're gonna have to drive. So I got dropped at her like pretty much at her place, and then we drove to where I was living, which was on the floor of Pete's house, who was in the cafe straight So just to clear that up, carry on.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure as well you did send in a message. I think that's when you told me. You're like, oh, I can't afford dinner. I can't remember how I found out that you couldn't pay for dinner much.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm pretty sure you like told me straight up, You're like, I haven't got money for dinner, but I'd love to take you out.
Speaker 2: So I was like, context, context, context is everything, guys. I had. I had packed up my car from living in my parents' house, moved here, was working three jobs that paid cash, and it was like the worst time because I was in Bondou with all my money that I had and had pretty much spent it on lunch and everything, thinking Okay, I'm just going to go home. I get paid the next couple of days from one of these jobs, but then I didn't want to miss the opportunity.
Speaker 4: So honesty, honesty is the best, suppose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't think. I don't recall saying it.
Speaker 4: Well, I just I can't remember how I found out that I had to pay because I did have to pay?
Speaker 1: Was that to that?
Speaker 2: No, let's get to that. Okay, you didn't have to pay. He didn't make you pay, because no, he did.
Speaker 4: He gave me a discount, didn't he because you worked? Well, we end up going for dinner. So yeah, we drove. We drove somewhere. We didn't really have plans and I was driving. I think we went to go to a sushi place, but we couldn't park or something, and then we end up going to You were like, oh, I work it.
Speaker 2: I work at this jizza.
Speaker 4: Pizza place, so we'll go there. And so we went there. I had dinner and whatnot, and obviously all his coworkers were like behind my back, which I know now, yeah, she's down. And then the bill came and I went not to pay, and I could.
Speaker 2: Afford to pay, but into my name.
Speaker 1: I think the important thing to remember is that you can start with the bar really low and then from then on that's what I did. Everything's a plus.
Speaker 4: Yeah and you did? You did? You used to spoil me rotten o in what way?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: I remember like one of the first Valentine's Days. I think you brought me an iPad mini, buy me jewelry. Yeah, like like literally spent probably credit card debt.
Speaker 2: Make up for that one dinner I couldn't pay for. But it was the most important dinner obviously, but I meant at the time, I recall, I was like, okay, well the people I was with in bond, but I got to go, and it was like I got to go. I have to go for a particular reason. I could have easily just been like no, not yeah. Yeah, So that's how that's how the first date went.
Speaker 1: Do you remember thinking on that date this feels different to other dates that I've been on.
Speaker 4: Definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She had to pay for it, like I felt slightly lighter in the wallet. It wasn't expensive, all.
Speaker 4: Right, No, And like you know, you're talking when we were twenty, there was not a high expectation of like long whiny and it was about but yeah, yeah, I enjoyed his company.
Speaker 1: Your dog is very into the story. I don't want to ask questions that are too personal. Did you have a kiss after dinner? Was there a kiss that night? Oh?
Speaker 4: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I can't remember. I think so well, I don't.
Speaker 4: Know where, Like I wouldn't have been at the restaurant.
Speaker 2: I remember when are we because we had to stop at my place before we went, and I was living with Pete and there's three brothers in the house. Oh walked in, had to get some fresh clothes, and Pete was like, where are you going. I was like, oh, I'm going on a date with April Gates and he was like, bullshit, you lying bullshit. And then I was like and then he's like walked out open the front doors, like Gavin. She had a big crush on April. So I stole a stolen something Dolar.
Speaker 4: I don't think I was ever his, but.
Speaker 2: He still thinks. He still thinks he's got to change.
Speaker 1: And then how long was it then until you guys got engaged?
Speaker 2: Seven years?
Speaker 4: No, that's when we got married. We got engaged, that's what I mean. We got engaged. I think it was five years and then we had a two year engagement. Because we're quite young, we'll engaged at like twenty four.
Speaker 2: Four twenty five.
Speaker 4: It was yeah, that's young, fifteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we it was like we had been together for like five years. We took a little trip to the States with some friends Josh and Chian. Shout out to them, they're probably listening. Probably not, they probably are. We did like a big big stin over there and I got like the ring made and everything here, and I remember I was like, I'm definitely going to do it. Josh and ceanne knew what was happening, and I said, I definitely want to do it over there. I had to hide the ring the whole time, but I didn't trust the baggage handlers. No, no, no. I was just going to say sorry guys, but I.
Speaker 1: Was like, I was like, no, you can't trust No, You've got to have it on you all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So what I did was I didn't put it in my pocket. I put it and tucked into my underpants on the side here and so it just like just held there for the whole flight from from Brisbane to San Francisco. And I remember like it was the next day and we're like going to do this, go up to this big lookout and April was like, why are you acting so weird? I was like, oh, I just feel a bit sick from the pipy jet lag. I was just fucking nervous, and I was I was still like holding this ring, so she didn't know. And then I think, at one point, we'll let this look out somewhere and you put your arm around me right in the aar it like like just around my back and right and I was like, oh, fuck you we goes of know what's this? Didn't say anything?
Speaker 1: Did you have any idea? April?
Speaker 4: No, no clue at all. I like, no, no clue at all.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, we just went up to this place in San Francisco and the cab driver cried.
Speaker 4: He got the best footage out of everyone. He got his phone out and he got like and.
Speaker 2: Then he called his wife and was like, you're not going to believe. Where was it at San A place called Twin Peaks.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I remember the cab driver the whole way up was joking about Twin Peaks. Don't you remember that? Yeah, and like Twin Peaks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's yeah, I've been there. They try the wings. I remember we were on the way out there and he was like, do you want me to hang around because it's hard to get back, and.
Speaker 1: I was like no, no, I don't need a crowd.
Speaker 2: And then it was like got up there and those people around. April first, as a boyfriend would do, I would like pretend to like when you really like, oh you know, and she thought I was doing that, but I was trying to get to turn around.
Speaker 4: And then grabbed me by the arms and I was like, what.
Speaker 6: He's packing Yeah, and then yeah, and then the cab driver was like on the phone with his wife obviously Josh and Shan.
Speaker 2: Who knew what was going on. Obviously she said yes, but it was funny in the cabin the way back. The guy was like, I had no idea. You were pretty cool to me. I was like, I was sweating, like fuck, Like why did I I could have just done it like old mate did on the jet STARFF the other day. Did you see that? Oh? Yeah, I don't want to shame them because people have got their own things. Yeah, this couple were flying to Bali and he obviously couldn't wait any longer the pressure he proposed to her on the jet Star just before it too economy.
Speaker 1: Hey those drinks are expensive on the flight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's yeah, twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: I always I'm always like, what would it be like in the moment for yourself when your partner's dropping your knee? Do you remember like do you straight away go oh my god, he's about to propose. Did you like did you realize or is it like a bit is you have a moment of confusion of like is this actually happening?
Speaker 4: It's definitely surreal at first, and then I feel like it's still surreal until you watch footage after you like that actually happened.
Speaker 1: I sucked on mind? Can I just cry?
Speaker 2: You're on TV.
Speaker 1: I didn't know it was We're in Fiji. I just dropped in it and started crying, and Laura thought that I was going to say that I had cancer. It was like, something's wrong.
Speaker 2: I was like, I can just imagine you, like.
Speaker 1: I mean, it sounds stupid when you think back, You're like, it's no big deal, but it is.
Speaker 2: It's like it was.
Speaker 1: Actually at twenty four, I.
Speaker 2: Was fucking ship.
Speaker 4: No one really we really knew had been engaged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the first were married. Yeah, who were with? But that was really it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What was it do you think about Ash that made you think, Yeah, this is a guy I want to spend the rest of my life with.
Speaker 2: Don't hold backpack, don't hold look.
Speaker 4: To be honest, I don't think those like we were still so young. I don't think those like I always thought, yeah, this is it, this is it. I don't know, but I just feel like it wasn't like yeah, that's definitely why, just the whole It's just always I just I loved his company. The vibe I always I always joke he's my best friend, and he rolls his eyes and always goes, are.
Speaker 2: You my best am? I your best friend? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think you want to have that friendship as a foundation. Is always like we can be best friends forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I already got his a ship from my boss at the time, who was like who was at the wedding and he was like, don't get up and do this speech where you go you're my best friend because I'll be like god, And it was like it's so cliche, and it's like, that's why I roll my eyes so much. It doesn't mean she's not my best friend, but I also like to stir up a lot.
Speaker 4: That's the first time you've admitted that I'm your best friend.
Speaker 2: It was I said, it's not that I'm not or you're not.
Speaker 1: He's a for your best friend.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: I love that you can kiss if you want and I pretend like I'm not here. Noe who proposed the idea of having kids first? How did that come about?
Speaker 4: I would definitely say me, Yeah, we're working in child Yeah, an early educator. If that's what.
Speaker 2: After us?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was definitely me like I have always thought, you know, family of four, that's what I wanted. And literally what we've got is what I wanted. Boy girl, tic tick, the dream, the dream.
Speaker 2: Husband just got it all. With the thing with April worked in a child care when we first met as an early education teacher, mystad Well said, ah, and the thing is like it was great, Like I could tell that, like she definitely wanted to be a mum one day. But I think that she brang home so much sickness because April was so immune to it all. Like April would be sick for like three hours and then like bedridden and then she's like, oh, I'm fine because she's so used to it. I just remember being sick every two or three days and I still hang around. No one's asking me any questions, and I just remember a bit like me being so so sick. And then it was like I knew April was more like it's something I didn't want kids. It wasn't that it was like the classic man thing where you can't admit that you yeah, you want to you know, yeah, just do that thing where it's like if it happens, it happens whatever. Which after we got married, it was like, okay, well maybe we'll start to not not try instead of we're going to actively pursue try. Is that right?
Speaker 1: How long did you have to try with Oscar first?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It's very best two goes. But I shouldn't say that because it is so hard for so many other couple. Very very lucky, very lucky lucky. I don't want to be canceled lucky.
Speaker 1: As someone who works in daycares, I have to ask the question, do you guys just flat out lie when you talk about the kids eating all their food?
Speaker 4: Oh, you're bringing me back. I haven't worked in daycare for ages.
Speaker 1: It is like a contract that you have to sign.
Speaker 4: Back. When I worked in daycare, there weren't the apps, so it wasn't it was just like rock and like Flintstone start. Yeah, I think it was like a scrap book even just put it up when all the parents picked up. It was just like you put it off photos, just this is what we did today, annual.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you have one of those old timey cameras? Just like I thought.
Speaker 1: I thought maybe working in early education it might did tell you because you're like, oh my god, you get a taste of the realities of what it's like to look after kids.
Speaker 4: It's so different.
Speaker 2: So in what way?
Speaker 4: In what way that you don't you're not you're not emotionally attached to them like they melt down.
Speaker 2: It's against the law.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just very different. I'd say, do.
Speaker 1: You ever when a kid would either like finish, they go on to like kindie and they would leave. Do you have those moments where you're like, I'm going to miss little Timmy.
Speaker 4: Yes, but no.
Speaker 2: We had this conversation the other day where you were saying that you see kids now or they were kids that she still look up and they're like adults.
Speaker 4: They're like, yeah, almost finishing school, and I'm just like, I haven't aged that much. How are these kids this age now? Obviously I have so just too young?
Speaker 2: You fresh, I know, you were like, there's the thing working in early education. I suppose at twenty twenty one you were there too.
Speaker 4: You're like twenty, it was straight out of school, so eighteen till yeah, you can still kid yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: It must have helped them. I guess being a mom having the experience.
Speaker 4: You'd think, so, yeah, didn't. No, I don't I think it was just so like the emotional thing. You're just emotionally attached now to something like the baby.
Speaker 2: I feel like when you know, becoming parents with the changing nappies, I'd never done. I never even held a baby. I'd had one baby before, one of my kids, and it was against my will. I was like where I was at the public with my mate Mick and he had a baby at the time, and he was like, hold this for a second, and I was like, so when I the confidence that I had in April was like when we were having kids, was like, she can do all that, Like she can teach me how to do that stuff because I don't know. So I feel like I learn a lot from April in terms of that sort of stuff. But she might have not been feeling confident about a lot of it, but she definitely picked up all you're changing appy, you go do this, They're doing that, they're doing that. I'm like, fuck, I would have had no idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the practical things I may have known it, it's.
Speaker 2: The emotional thing. Yeah. I mean every parent, I suppose new parent like you would know. I think you're kids, every parent would know where you're like you kind of just like working it out. Oh yeah, emotionally at the same time. This morning, I'm trying to have a cuddle with Oscar and he just got so worked up because he thought the coudle was so forced that he's had a meltdown. And I'm just like, I don't know what have I done? One and two is like I just love you. Yeah, And it's like you're still going to work out like those kinks and you know, like even now with Oscar you think you've worked it out, something changes. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: There's when I look at parenting. I don't want to talk about it negatively, although I always do. There is a lot that is really hard because toddlers are just hard work, NonStop. But then you get these little moments where you're like, ah, this is fucking great. I love this. What are your moments as a mum where you're like, I absolutely love this so much.
Speaker 4: It would be the cuddles and the kisses, like Oscar is just saying to Ashton, I asked you. I was like, does Oscar just randomly just come up sit next to you and give you a kiss on the cheek And he said yeah, And I was like, he does that to me too. Just like out of the blue.
Speaker 2: Without yeah, it sounds like, yeah, I just said, yes, I can fit in all right.
Speaker 4: I just feel like obviously we've shown them him that love that he knows how that makes him feel. So now he's learned, you know, if he does it to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even the day I caught him with were I didn't catch him, gotcha. We're at the park, just at the back here, and Macy was on the swing, and he just walks up and goes, can I have a cuddle to Macy? And like gave Macy kiss on the top of the head, and just like toddled off. I don't know. He either loves to do that or he's manipulating. They'll talk about me on the podcast you watch.
Speaker 1: How did you find going back to work?
Speaker 4: Ah? So funny enough. I thought I would love being a full time stay at home mum, and then once I had Oscar, I was like, I need some work back in my life. So yeah, I took the year off and then I went back and I went back three days, which I think has been a good balance because I needed it. I didn't want to be a stay home mum.
Speaker 2: I recall, I do recall how excited April was to go back to work, even just first couple of days. I think a lot more for the adult interact. We still have a really great mother's group that was super supportive, and you get that adult interaction. But I think when you go back to an office where you're like there's no kids inside.
Speaker 4: You barely even talk about that, that's.
Speaker 2: Called child ladies that you know, Like I remember that. She was like, yes, like it kind of after a long, hard year. It was kind of like a bit of a It was kind of like going on holidays a little bit, and it was.
Speaker 4: A break from parenting.
Speaker 2: She looked at me, it was a break.
Speaker 1: Speaking of work, do you remember when Ash first grabbed a tea towel, draved it over his head and filmed a video And what was your reaction to that.
Speaker 4: I actually can't remember the first one you ever did. Do you remember the first one you ever did?
Speaker 2: No, the first one I do recall doing where I thought I'm onto something. There was other stuff where it was like I would pretend to be you, bits and pieces here and there, But the one that really grabbed me was the pointless phone call home when you're leaving work, where it would be me ringing you. I'm like, hey, I myay home and you were just like okay, well, okay bye.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: And the thing is that so many people had different interpretations of what that call meant to them, and I was like, there's something here, psychologically, there's something here, because it wasn't people always say, oh no, you took the piece out of your wife. I'm not taking the piece out of her whatsoever. According to me, I remember saying to you, I don't know if you recall. I was like, so many people must have this conversation. Yeah, let's find out, and that's how where we ended up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've always found it funny. I remember a girlfriend actually asking me like, well, probably about a year ago now, because you've been doing it for a while, and she was like, have you ever thought like taken offense to anything that he's ever posted? And it had never crossed my mind that any of it would be offensive to me because I'm literally laughing at all of them.
Speaker 1: Because it's you, Hey guys, it's me Matt.
Speaker 2: And also ashes here alongside.
Speaker 1: We recorded this at a different time, so when we sat down with April, we wanted to let you know that we stuffed up.
Speaker 2: Well you did.
Speaker 1: We agreed that it was both of our faults.
Speaker 2: You agree that it was Actually, no.
Speaker 1: It wasn't our fault. It was the equipment's fault.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was the equipment's fault. In that's equipment.
Speaker 1: It decided to stop recording. So the audio from this point on is a little bit different to what you've just been listening to.
Speaker 2: It's still great, but you don't want to miss what she says.
Speaker 1: You want to Oh my god, I can't believe she admitted that.
Speaker 2: And we shared a cheeky kiss.
Speaker 1: Not me and April.
Speaker 2: You did light it with the audience like that. Again, the only thing she ever gets offended by is if the house is a little bit messing. Yeah, you could have cleaned up before you film that.
Speaker 4: Yes, a number I need to say I do not far the amount of times.
Speaker 3: Talk about.
Speaker 2: Let's not get into that.
Speaker 1: Do you remember thinking, oh shit, my husband's going to become a content creator?
Speaker 3: Yeah, when he got made Redundant.
Speaker 2: I actually never thought it would be something I would do full time. I never really thought that until people started like got management and then I remember when we first started doing this podcast, even just doing content, I was doing both jobs. I don't know how I did that. I did not have the spam for that. Now I think I've just completely checked out from that. But I was like I checked out then, and I was lucky that my job was so slow at the time. But I remember April was like, you're not quit. You're not quitting your job, which is fair enough, and I understood that I couldn't just quit to pursue a dream that came out of nowhere. It's never been a lifelong dream in mind to be doing this. It's sort of I sort of started doing it, and then April was also like how happy it made me. I remember there was those years through COVID and stuff, and like, you know, we've sort of struggled with Oscar. We were struggling to be with being stuck at home, and then you know, I was working from home and then April was also working from home.
Speaker 3: You asked me specifically.
Speaker 4: I remember you were like, because you're hating your corporate job, and you were like, we just got a what's it called approved?
Speaker 5: I remembered it, Yeah, I remember, yeah, And.
Speaker 4: So you know, things were looking good and then next you know, Ashton goes, oh, do you think I can quit my job and do this full time.
Speaker 3: This is before redundancy, and I just thought, definitely, not like, what do you mean we'll get a house. We'll get that all our ducks in a row first, and.
Speaker 4: Then maybe three months after that then you can maybe look at doing it.
Speaker 2: And April has always been like this too, just like you know what whatever will be will be. Everything happens for a reason.
Speaker 1: I welcome the redundancy because I knew that once you could, once you had that removed, you would go all in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For me then and even for us then it was like I had to prioritize where I was getting paid consistently. Even though I wasn't as you know, like amazing money, it was still like it was good. It kept us a flight, whichould we be two kids? If we didn't have two kids, should probably like to do what the fuck you want? But I think like that conversation then, to be made redundant week that it just shows that the universe was like, that's what you meant to be doing. And I think there's nothing she could have done about it because it was made redundant.
Speaker 1: Would you say, Ash, I think I should look for another job, or we like, well, let's give the content creation a crack.
Speaker 4: It was like, okay, if there's an opportunity, it's gonna be now.
Speaker 3: Like otherwise, I would never have let it happen. I literally there wasn't She.
Speaker 2: Would have called that job and said you keep him there. We don't want him here, you keep him there?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: So no, And I think ever since that did happen, like, I've never seen you more happy or even more driven in what you're doing now.
Speaker 2: I sleep every day lunchtime.
Speaker 3: I took it.
Speaker 1: At that point, there would have been occasions when you guys would have been out in public and someone would have gone, oh.
Speaker 5: My gosh, it's that guy from the town head. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny. We talk about this because no one ever comes up when I'm there. I know, what does that say? Who knows?
Speaker 2: They're too scared of you? Yeah I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm a scary person.
Speaker 4: But because Ashton would be like, come back from the shops and like, oh I had like three people come up to me.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'm always at the shops of you. No one has ever come up to you, So.
Speaker 5: People are listening. I mean, a lovely.
Speaker 3: Woman, very friendly and I yeah, bring it on.
Speaker 5: Just nice. Do you like that or do you dislike that? Are you indifferent?
Speaker 3: I think it's nice. I think it's actually really really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a bit off. Like for me, you know, two years ago less would never have happened. And now, like you know, like just last week, can't go on a magic ground and with a whole congregation of people, you know, couples and stuff that go into and enjoying sport they both love together and then they see me on the the middle of the street and they're like it's you Like, it's just it's a really weird feeling for sure.
Speaker 3: Question for you does it get old?
Speaker 2: Damn on time?
Speaker 5: It's time?
Speaker 2: It's weird? Is where I mean, I'll be honest. For me, it really happens.
Speaker 1: More so if people have been drinking, I think they're kind of like, oh I I don't really care.
Speaker 2: They're just like a bit ofebreated.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're more inclined to be like holy ship. Normally people don't bat nilid. But the other morning I.
Speaker 1: Was getting the kids in the car and the lady walked past and she was like hey, And there's a split second where I was like fuck, Is that a month from daycare before?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: I couldn't the tone of the high I couldn't quite like, yeah, just said it was.
Speaker 5: And that's why I'm like, I do I know, Like no, no, I just you know, I just love the podcast and I'm like, oh, thank goodness, where's that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have a segment called petty Couples.
Speaker 3: I'm well aware.
Speaker 1: People want to know how you deal with ashes pediness. More so, particular was a scenario where he only made one side of the bed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he didn't tell you the end of the story. Please, he doesn't let me see it. Then he literally will make the other side of the bed.
Speaker 1: If you had to say what a bad habits are, what would they be?
Speaker 2: God, your bad.
Speaker 3: Habit would just be like.
Speaker 2: All the time, I'm sorry, how dare I have natural humanly bodily functions? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Definitely, yet farting and can you stop it?
Speaker 2: That's me?
Speaker 5: I mean, if that's the worst that he's doing, that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: You're pretty lifely at the start. Do you reckon?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: What would his best habit? Then?
Speaker 4: One that comes to mind, actually is I do like I don't know if it's a habit, But I do love that.
Speaker 3: You're an impulse person.
Speaker 4: Like if we're hesitating on, you know, purchasing something big, I should be like, just do it, just do it, Whereas I hesitate I think too much about it. Yeah, if it's like, you know, let's book flights, like just do it, I'm like, oh.
Speaker 3: But it's like two thousand dollars, just do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just do it. It's like what if I wait like two days and say fifteen buck may just book it? I think like we Yeah, I've always been like that, and You've always been like so cautious.
Speaker 3: To buy anything anything.
Speaker 2: So it kind of works for us. If we're both cautious, we would have nothing. We would have no, we couldn't make a decision. April's dad very much like April, right, whereas he's like so cautious about everything, and it does drive me crazy. But then also it helps that she listens to when I'm like, just do it, especially if it's something for her, because She'll be like, oh do I really need like this, and I'll be like, just get it. What's the worst is going to happen? If the worst is gonna happen is you've got it. That's it. You know, he's to pull the trigger.
Speaker 4: Guy definitely, and I need that, but then you also need the other way around.
Speaker 7: The perfectly we're talking about for the business for no reason able.
Speaker 2: To be like, Nope, definitely not.
Speaker 1: One of the most common questions we got was how does April feel about how she's perceived in the videos at Ash makes Oh, I.
Speaker 3: Don't care what other people think about I know what.
Speaker 2: I am like so like that.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had to say, Ash, I don't want that video published or I want no one taken down?
Speaker 4: No, Like I said, I think I do find them all funny and maybe call me naive, but I think there's ones that I'm like, I don't do that.
Speaker 2: I'm not like that. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Have you ever do something and go oh fuck, that's gonna do?
Speaker 3: I do something just in my head and I'll be.
Speaker 5: Like, have you done this?
Speaker 2: You maam you. There's so many instances where we've just had a quick conversation and I have laughed and You've gone yeah, yeah, because you're walking content and I tell everyone that that. Like You'll be like, do you think it's going to rain? And I'll be like why, like, or you'll be like if it rains, if you ring the washing in, it's like yeah, but that's like you're just walking content, You're welcome. That's why it goes into enjoy it than.
Speaker 1: Have you ever tried the tea towel on yourself whilst she's not been around?
Speaker 3: Never has it ever crossed my mind to do that.
Speaker 2: Someone asked me if you've ever want to drink sex?
Speaker 3: Well, that's weird.
Speaker 5: I asked one time that in confidence, have you ever tried to hide the tea taul?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I do find myself like they're just lying around the house, and she's probably a petty thing, and I'll just like.
Speaker 3: Pick them up and throw them, like you know, and he might be looking for it. I don't know. Well, it's more you've just left them in the way.
Speaker 2: I honestly I'll lose them or just get another one out.
Speaker 4: Or felt if you folded up nicely and put it down, I wouldn't have to throw it away.
Speaker 5: How many tea towels do you think there are in this house right now?
Speaker 4: Well, we started with about forty, and I've only ever seen two at the moment.
Speaker 2: That we kind of them as Jim towers too. Here and there like the ones that are going to be They're good size, they're perfect size. I do need to pop in a Camart get another ten pack.
Speaker 5: If you're listening, new hair you sponsored? The Pope just came anko.
Speaker 2: Ah yeah, I mean there's been some instances where April has been like or the trouble we're with we're with people somewhere and I like, disappear it and you're like, he's just gone, film video is gone, just disappeared.
Speaker 1: It's just what I'm like, Such a lucky lady, isn't she. When you first started dating Ash, there was no MO. Currently has the MO?
Speaker 2: Are you four or against the MO?
Speaker 3: Have you seen before photos?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I have.
Speaker 5: He was handsome.
Speaker 4: I would say you look like a baby. Yeah yeah, I'm like all for the MO, thank you.
Speaker 1: But how do you find like Laura's probably was that I had to remove mine because she hated kissing them out.
Speaker 3: I think it's been many years now that I'm.
Speaker 2: Just used to it. Yeah. Yeah, so lord, if you're listening, real men have more stashes like for me, I you used to hate it. I remember when I get early days, Yeah, when I would just like try it out here and there and I think over lockdown. I just decided that it's going to be a permanent picture on my face now. And April was like, whatever, this may be prying too much.
Speaker 1: But we had a story on the podcast where a lady would not shave downstairs because her husband would grown mustache.
Speaker 5: Is that the same with yourself, April?
Speaker 3: So the lady wouldn't shave because he wouldn't shave.
Speaker 5: Exactly?
Speaker 3: Is that I've never thought that.
Speaker 5: Okay, let it, marry it, thanks man.
Speaker 1: There was a story that we've heard before about Ash passing out during the birth of Macy.
Speaker 5: Do you remember how those events unfolded?
Speaker 4: Yes, very clearly actually, because Macy's birth is like, you know, a good birth.
Speaker 3: It was like you know good, it.
Speaker 4: Was planned, it was all very relaxing, the what's the guy who puts your needle and so.
Speaker 2: Just just for those listeners out there, and like a plan cit section, it's kind of like booking into a hotel. You pick a day, you pick a checking day, you check in time, you pick a time you're going. You do like the normal hotel checking stuff sort of and obviously with all the medical stuff.
Speaker 3: And all very relaxed.
Speaker 4: And I'm the one who would usually be fainting and stuff.
Speaker 3: So we get in and I'm getting the epidural I think it is.
Speaker 2: So it was side saddle on the bed doing so like you see anyways, horse of go. So I saddled on the bed and I'm in front, and so that the the drug guy he was on behind, so I couldn't even see him. I couldn't see anything that was happening. So that's the situation we're in.
Speaker 4: Like I'm all cool, current collected, and just starting to feel relaxed and.
Speaker 3: Numb and lying back down. And then I hear asked him, going I don't feel good. I don't feel good. And then obviously like they take it.
Speaker 4: Quite seriously because I've probably seen so many men just yeah. And so I just remember not necessarily looking because I don't think I could move that much. Uh, And but my obstitution stayed with me, but everyone else was hands on deck down below, and my obstitution. I remember her saying, Johnny, take some photos. I was like, yeah, yes, please, that was fine.
Speaker 2: I was like whatever, you looked me looking over at me, and I was like legs up on the chair, on flat on my back with a like a wet flannel over my head and a thing of apple, and she was like this meant to be about me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: But you must have got up pretty quick.
Speaker 5: How long was it before you were back on your feet?
Speaker 2: They wouldn't let me get back up off for a while until we're pretty much done.
Speaker 3: No, you were standing up.
Speaker 2: There when No, I actually I was. You're right, I was sitting right behind it where your head is. You can't stand I remember that they put Then they dropped the curtain. I was like, a.
Speaker 4: Dropped the curtain and I got to touch macony and stuff and then probably well, thank.
Speaker 3: You anyway, it's a miracle.
Speaker 2: That I survived. In true me fashion, I made it all. But you know, like I didn't miss it. You didn't miss anything, thank god. But it's always a funny story. I was just laugh because it was it was a plan Z section during the first pregnancy. There was none of that.
Speaker 3: It was all adrenaline.
Speaker 2: It was all adrenaline this just because it was so I remember we were sitting in a room.
Speaker 3: And it was kind of like taking photos.
Speaker 2: Baby then and in a minute and it's just a weird situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Laura was introduced and it was like it's so strange to go like, oh, we're going to have a kid and yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah weird.
Speaker 5: And before we go over, like you have one last question for you? Is there anything that you would.
Speaker 1: Like to say to Ash now that you haven't had the opportunity to set up until now, anything at all?
Speaker 3: Anything at all?
Speaker 2: Mmm?
Speaker 3: Could? I?
Speaker 4: I think I just want to say that, like, super proud of everything that you do and I know I see you hustle and everything.
Speaker 3: I know it's for the family.
Speaker 4: So even though you put on this persona that you are, what would what would people say? Yes, smart ass, you are a good egg and not everyone gets to see that side.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Welcome, guys are so beautiful. Yes, I really delivered perfectly.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys.
Speaker 5: Want to kiss by all means? Don't hold back in front?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, take it off lovely.
Speaker 5: Thank you, April, Thank you, Welcome. I know you've been reluctant. Can I just say you're an absolute natural? It was a pleasure having on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Don't take my job, Yes, don't, I'll go back to.
Speaker 1: There is nothing I enjoy more Ash than watching you be affectionate with squirm your wife.
Speaker 2: I guess you're all squirmy, don't I love it? Problem.
Speaker 1: I would have preferred a bit of tongue, but that's okay, that's okay.
Speaker 2: On the inside of the outside.
Speaker 1: It was beautiful, lovely to see the two of you. You're squirming right now.
Speaker 2: Thank you April for coming on and making me feel really uncomfortable for that whole chat. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I loved it. I loved it. Thank you, Thank you to April. And if you've enjoyed this episode, we would absolutely love it even more if you would give us a review, a couple of words, a few stars. That's all it takes to make Ashen myself extremely happy.
Speaker 2: And if you have any other guests, you'd love us to chat too. Whether it's my mum my Nan, that'd be a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what other family members can we rope?
Speaker 2: And Nan would be a bit red hot.
Speaker 1: We have actually had a few requests to get the kids on so were made.
Speaker 2: Don't know how. Maybe we'll think about that, but if you do have any suggestions, please either dms Dad's Instagram or email us at a hello at two don dads.
Speaker 1: Dot com and the Facebook group and don't forget I always forget the Facebook. We're always there. We are lurking. We spend every shadows, yeah, every minute of every day just waiting for you guys to say something so we can engage because we're lonely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just search too. Doting Dads on Facebook on the Facebook.
Speaker 1: Let's get out of your buddy BA. Two Doting Dads podcast acknowledges the traditional custodians of country throughout Australia and the connections to land, see and community.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and torrestraight onland, the people's today. This episode was recorded on Gadagle Land