Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. That night, Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Candace Warner, our second eliminated contestant from I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here for twenty twenty four. When we last caught up with the popular reality series, the farewells continued in the camp, which on Thursday night, we saw Candace Warner leaving the South African jungle behind. But what an eventful time Candace had in camp. The former Champion Iron Woman proved her worth with icy cold plunges, braving terrifying heights, and surviving as shopping spree that even the most retail addicted would probably rather avoid. Around the camp, Candace had many heart to heart conversations with camp mates, discussing shared experiences in the sporting industry, shedding light on the resilience and strength required to navigate the highs and lows of a life in the public eye, and opening up about her experiences of miscarriage, motherhood, and marriage. Nothing was off limits, and Candace will certainly be remembered from this series. Also, Candace was thrilled with the opportunity to highlight the importance of protecting our youth from bullying with her chosen charity, Dolly's Dream, which you can go and check out on their website. Candace will reveal how the experience in the Jungle is exactly as you see it, with the horror stories of snakes, scorpions, and the terrifying influences that she had to live with while she was in the jungle. We will unpack the conversations Candace had with her husband, David Warner before going into the jungle, plus how she managed to navigate her schedule to make time for this show. You will get some interesting insights into what the celebrities have been thinking regarding these eliminations being left at the end of the series, and I will ask about Tonight's shocking walkout from one of her fellow camp mates. I'm also going to unpack that polarizing confrontation with Sky and find out why she felt the need to speak up and defend herself. And we'll talk a little bit about how the audience had interpret that situation. There's actually so much to unpack with Candace, so sit back and relax as we unpack her time in the South African jungle. Hello, Hi, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm very well, Thank you.
Speaker 1: You sound great And that's what I was worried about.
Speaker 3: Oh I feel good, I'm clean, I've had some food and I've had a glass of wine last night, and I'm feeling fabulous.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Had Denise flown out of South Africa where you were able to sit down with her and have a wine.
Speaker 3: No, I think she had already flown out, so I didn't get to catch up with Denise.
Speaker 2: But don't worry.
Speaker 3: I will be heading to Queensland in the next few months, so I will be catching up with her. And she's already told me what she's going to cook me and we'll have I think champagne to her drink of choice, so I'll have a champagne with her.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: Well, I was really surprised that because Kahan was in there, and he's a cook. We know that from Master Chef, but Denise is one of the best cooks in Australia, like she's actually been offered cooking shows before, so I was surprised she didn't sort of push him out of the way and cook the food for you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I think she was very much wanting to to try her hand in cooking. But at the same time, there's not a lot of cooking involved when it's just oats with a bit of water on the pop and then rice and bean, So you can't do a hell of a lot with that. But in saying that, Cahn made a mean oats of a morning, we all looked forward to that lunchtime he was making this, which fast became our favorite meal of the day, this crispy rice. And look, it was just fried as much as you could possibly fry it. But we got to the point it was like, no more bald rice, no more bald beans.
Speaker 2: Just fry it up as much.
Speaker 3: I mean, we went through so much oil in there it wasn't funny. But yeah, look, she is a fantastic cook. And Denise was telling me of all these beautiful things she's gonna cook me. She's going to make me these crumbed this with some beautiful potatoes, and she told me how she does her baked potatoes and how she does her cauliflower and her desserts and everything. So I cannot wait to sit down and have a home cooked meal from Denise like water treat take up Loto.
Speaker 1: Put that on the internet. People will love it.
Speaker 3: I will.
Speaker 2: I will absolutely do that.
Speaker 1: Ask about her chicken fried wings as well. I'm just going to tell you there's a headlup on that one. Maybe she can do that as an entree. I don't know why I'm teasing you with talking about so much food when technically to that.
Speaker 2: No, that's right, exactly something to look forward to.
Speaker 1: I suppose when you were asked to do this show, what sort of conversations did you get to have with your husband? Did he give you any dos and don'ts on what you could say and do in the jungle? Was he worried at all?
Speaker 2: No, he wasn't worried.
Speaker 3: And look, we've spoken about our life and our ups and downs so many times that we kind of know the boundaries and we know.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, I.
Speaker 3: Wasn't going to hold back and everything that I said, I'm true to my word and it's what I strongly believe in. And you know, other people probably think, well, no, and have different opinions, but they also don't know what I know. And so I was very clear with what I wanted to say. But the hardest thing going on the show was knowing that my husband was going to be in India that entire time, and my daughter's three daughters would be back in Sydney. So it's like, Okay, who's going to mind three kids. Who's going to be willing to make the lunches every day, do their hair for school, take them to sport. I mean, Easter was on, they had their grand final of cricket, swimming carnivals. It's just the coordinating of it all when you know both parents are away. That was incredibly difficult. But I'm very grateful for my brother and my mom and everyone else who helped out. But there's a lot that goes into just getting into the jungle itself.
Speaker 1: I think there's a home alone spin off with that. You know, Mum's in Africa, Dad's India and the kids have to feed themselves. I think, you know, you.
Speaker 2: Know what they probably the kids probably loved it.
Speaker 3: They're probably like, yeah, it's no more structure, no more going to bed.
Speaker 2: At this time, Uncle Patty's looking after the kids. We're going to have ice cream for dinner.
Speaker 3: So it's probably the kids probably needed it as much as we all did.
Speaker 1: You know, when you get cast on a show like this, are you required to tell us certain amount of stories because of me? Your resume is very interesting, your husband's resumes very interesting. And a lot of these shows that get made around the world, they do show those stories that we get a little bit of an insight into sort of more your personal stories. You know, what sort of conversations that they say to you, Can you please bring up this or do they just let you go you know, and let you go wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, there's no prompting of conversations. It is purely authentic. So it's just when you're getting to know someone, you start chatting and then when you feel comfortable, you know, you ask more in depth questions to them, which lead to you being more vulnerable and opening up to them. And I think it's a trust thing. And when you feel like you can trust someone and they're being vulnerable, then you want to be able to have that same experience and talk about your life and what you've been through and how you can relate to one another. So look, there's definitely no prompting of oh, can you go and ask this person this or that. It's just purely authentic conversations had in a very private in environment, yet so publicly because there's cameras.
Speaker 2: There and you know, we've constantly got microphones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know, it's lovely to go into a safe environment where there's no judgment and although we're probably being judged on the outside, we don't feel that on the inside.
Speaker 2: And it's being able to be vulnerable to.
Speaker 3: Strangers who become very close friends by the end of the experiment is such a unique experience and something that I really enjoyed.
Speaker 1: Well, something that's going to bond you for life. Do you know why all of these eliminations have been held right to the end. Have you had that conversation with why they've decided to do that differently this year?
Speaker 3: And we went so because the thing is in the jungle, you try to predict every day what's going to happen. I mean, we don't know what time it is because there's no clocks anywhere, we don't know what is going on the outside world.
Speaker 2: We don't know anything.
Speaker 3: And we just assumed that after a certain amount of time on a Sunday night, there'd be in a big and then the next day would be in eviction.
Speaker 2: So the fact that no elimination happened until the Wednesday.
Speaker 3: That shocked us all and we were starting to get to the point where we're thinking, maybe we're all going to be here till the end and there's just going to be one winner.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: But it does shake things up, and it does you know, every day is completely different and it poses a new challenge, a new environment every single day. So I think that's what's so great about being on the show is day to day we do not know what's going to happen. We do not know if we're going to eat, we do not know what's going to be thrown at us, and it's exciting, but it's also terrifying at the same time.
Speaker 1: I think in the UK recently they've started doing this and that's so they can keep all the celebrities for the finale. Are you going to fly out of South Africa now or are you going to stick around for the finale because it's coming up like it's not that far away. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I will be flying out to India.
Speaker 3: My husband in India and my kids now that at school holidays they have joined him in India, So I'll be flying there. But a long process because you know, I have to do about four or five stops to get to them, but it's going to be well worth it.
Speaker 1: They won't even recognize you. They'll be like, what's skinny, mum? Who is this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I know they'll be like, yeah, exactly, exactly. But don't worry.
Speaker 3: I will be straight into some really good food over there. And you know, you know, I missed my wedding anniversary, so David and I will have a beautiful dinner together. But just you know, seeing the kids watching some great cricket and being in an environment where it's such a positive environment is you know.
Speaker 2: I couldn't ask for anything more.
Speaker 1: What did you know about the celebrities going into the jungle, because I mean, you were probably more recognizable than some of the others. Did you know everyone when you walked in or was there something you took a little bit of time to sort of place in the set.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't know Callum, so that was fabulous getting to know him, But everyone else I had recognized, And I had met Michelle Bridges once before briefly, and i'd met Tristan once before on student ten. So even though we didn't have a bond, you sort of had that connection, but everyone else know I didn't know, And it was fabulous getting to know Brittany and Ellie and Peterdaykos and Steven and Frankie I mean, and Scott, I mean every single person that I met in there I had some sort of bond with And I think that's really unique because you don't often get that in a workplace or in life where you bond with so many people. But we shared such a unique experience that it would be very hard not to bond with.
Speaker 1: Denise seemed to struggle though. You're like, you're seeing her coming in late. I guess coming in ten days late maybe does change the dynamics. Do you think her arriving later into the show really affected the way in which maybe the Australian public saw her.
Speaker 3: I think possibly, because when you do go into the show so late, people have already established their favorites in the jungle. We have already had such strong bonds with everyone from the moment we walked into doing trials with people, so it was very hard for her, but she did such a terrific job, Like I don't know any other seventy five year old person.
Speaker 2: Who would go, yeah, I'll give that a crack.
Speaker 3: And there was no you know, unlike other years where people have had been pampered or been given anything in the top toki or behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: She did it as rough as we did.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And those beds were dreadful, so she would have been waking up so stiff and sore.
Speaker 2: She was eating what we were eating. She was doing exactly what we were.
Speaker 3: And you know, there were times where we had torrential rain and storm and she was the one that got up and made sure that our clothes were you know, not getting wet, or she was the one that was putting taps on.
Speaker 2: Brittany and Tristan.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know how much you guys see, but she was really quite motherly in there and looking after us. And there is a generational gap, there's no doubt about that. But she comes from a very good place. And I got along with her really well.
Speaker 1: And said that to me yesterday. She said, you know, she'd been watching the show and so she said, you know, she had an idea of who she thought everyone was going to be, but particularly singled you out and said how much she enjoyed getting to know you. I mean, it was interesting.
Speaker 2: That's so lovely.
Speaker 1: It was really interesting to hear about her takes on everyone because she said that she did struggle with some people, I mean typical dedicates. She didn't say the ones that she struggled with, but she did.
Speaker 3: And there were definitely times where, you know, people may not have given her the time of day because you know, they just weren't interested.
Speaker 2: But you know, you've got to respect what she's.
Speaker 3: Done, and you've got to respect that she is because she could be someone's grandmother, you know, with her age and what she was doing was quite heroic and she didn't have to be there, but she chose to be there and she gave it the best crack that she possibly could.
Speaker 1: Well, she talked about you know, maybe there's some people faking it, and you know what, it's interesting with her pedigree of her career, she's been around enough people to see whether people are genuine and if they're not. Did you notice that some of the people in there were maybe acting up to the cameras or faking it to progress the Necker?
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh, look, Denise is a very smart lady. What she observes, she sits back and she observes, and she takes people for who they are, and she treats people the way they treat her. And look, there are people that are on the show for very different reasons to myself and very different reasons for Denise.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't mean that they're bad people. They just are on the show for different reasons.
Speaker 3: And if that means to act up to get more Hemra time or airtime, then so be it. But you can't take away from anyone else's experience and why they're there.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting because I mean your confrontation with Sky and I mean, I guess you haven't had a chance to watch this sort of stuff back, so you have to kind of take my word as I explained it to you, but sort of confronted Sky in a way, and that really polarized the audience into picking sides and saying, you know, a team Sky, team Candas, did you think the time something as small as talking about some contraband would be such a big deal for audience as watching this show.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I don't know what was shown, but how it played out was I we were all throwing our contraband in and I had a private conversation with her, just privately, I said, look, maybe you know you push. You've got your lip gloss, maybe go get that and put in your bag. And she didn't want to, and I just said, come on, I would hate it to be at the detriment of the team. And then once we all handed it everything in, she just started pointing fingers at me, saying, you threw me under the bus.
Speaker 2: And I was like, what, I didn't throw you under the bus at all, and she kept going, you did, you did, and I mean I didn't.
Speaker 3: And then so a private conversation that we had then became quite public. So and that's where I was just like, well, hang on a second, holder, if we're all throwing.
Speaker 2: Our contraband in, then it's only fair that you do.
Speaker 3: And if you're going to say that I've thrown you under the bus, I will call you selfish. And look, we both said things that we probably didn't mean, but it wasn't long until we're made amends and we got over it and we were buddies again. So look, the emotions are running very high in the jungle and people are on lack of sleep, missing home, no sugar, no caffeine, different diet.
Speaker 1: It's a very different. So tapping in and tapping out of this show, could really ever truly understand those can be you know, and there needs to be a bit of forgiveness. I've run out of time. And the sad thing is, oh, no, everyone is talking about who has walked out of the camp and you've probably signed an ND eight and you might even not even know who's walked out of camp.
Speaker 3: But no, I just found out, just like you did, that someone has walked out, and I'm like, oh my goodness, could you see?
Speaker 1: And we can't talk about who it is because we don't want to ruin the show. But like, I mean, you're surprised by the person who's walked out? Is that something you might have predicted?
Speaker 3: Look, I know that there's people struggling. I know that we're close to the finish line. But everyone is missing their homes. Everyone is hungry, and as people start to leave, everyone's emotions are starting to up and down, and some people are going, I just want to be home now. I bet canuses with her kids and cuddling them. So I'm surprised that it hasn't happened earlier. But if you always wrap your weight.
Speaker 1: Feet, I mean, I'm sorry to interrupt you there, because something is I'm running out of time. But like I think, if someone walks out, you know, or says I'm a celebrity, to get me out of here, is there anything where you can say I've made a mistake after a few minutes of leaving, and they can put you back in or once you're out.
Speaker 3: I'm sure, I'm sure they try to talk the person out of it, but once you made your mind up and you're clear on your decision, you're out of there.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, all right, that's a good teast before you go. The last thing I ask everyone who ever joins this podcast is what is something behind the scenes, something about behind the scenes secret for your time in the jungle? Is there anything that you think was a sort of a funny anecdote from your time in there. I mean, you don't know what we've seen, but maybe something fun you'd like to share.
Speaker 3: Oh goodness, it's so hard to know what you've seen, but it's just real, it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, I saw petrified of everything.
Speaker 3: I was walking to the waterfall one day and a cobridge just walked.
Speaker 2: In front, like, not walked, but just in front of me. I was questioning that.
Speaker 3: I was on a bike and there was a snake right in front of me, So it is real, Like there's no we don't see anyone in camp. We talked in the top talkie to a camera. We have no idea who's on the other side. But there is snakes, I've seen scorpions, I've seen absolutely everything. It is as real as you can imagine. I didn't sleep much. We're hearing all sorts of noises. You have no idea if they're clothes, if they're in camp, if they're in the trees.
Speaker 2: But it is real.
Speaker 3: And if I knew how real it was, who knows if I would have signed up for it. But loved my experience and I've loved chatting to you, so thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Oh you've been fantastic, you know. Congratulations on your time in there. I thoroughly enjoyed watching you. And good luck on save travels to going in.
Speaker 2: I'd appreciate it.
Speaker 1: The family, have a good weekend.
Speaker 2: You Chase a lot, See you later. Bye,