Speaker 1: Hey, Legends, Welcome back to the Amazon Cox Show, Big Show. This week, we've got line ball calls all throughout the AFL, three different instances.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about all of them.
Speaker 1: We've got streakers, streakers out of Adelaide Oval and also our boy Traut Cloak gets into it. Yes, we're gonna talk about all that much more on this episode starting now. Welcome everyone. We have a massive, massive episode ahead of us, so we're gonna get straight into it.
Speaker 2: Welcome Brighton. Let's start this thing off.
Speaker 3: Get a mace. We gotta start with some positive energy. Boy, oh boy, we're not gonna hop on your game. That was Thursday, that was ages ago. Let's get into the clanger because we can bring some joy with this.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I want to jump into one that happened on the Friday the Adelaide Geelong game. And I don't know if you saw this, but there was an absolute goose that jumped the fence. It was a pitch invader ran out with his phone as every stupid kid does nowadays.
Speaker 4: One that cloud.
Speaker 3: He was on the TikTok or the or the Facebook or the MySpace or whatever it was.
Speaker 2: You can find the show on Yeah, I don't know if.
Speaker 3: We have a MySpace page anymore, but I don't know. We had Bibo and we can. If you jump on our MySpace, we'll chuck you in our top ten friends. But anyway, back to my clagger. This absolute goose that went running out. Now, normally you see the pitch invaders, they run around the fringes, around the outside.
Speaker 4: They have a bit of fun.
Speaker 3: Sometimes they're like, you know, climbing activists or someone with a message, or this idiot I will call him. I just ran straight in to get the hard ball. He was like right in the stop, it's just running in. And I don't know if his head was switched on, because he was just you know, he ran into the into the cauldron, and he ran straight.
Speaker 4: Into a couple of players.
Speaker 3: Now the players were probably the only guys that he had to really worry about it, because the security guards were lacking. Now, a little bit of a clanger on this poor bloke that's a security guard. I don't know if he's got a bit of osti Eartist Cubis whatever he had coming on, But he was waddling like a duck. The poor fellah. You'd hate to be the closest one when he jumps the fence and you're like, ah, that's my.
Speaker 2: My section, that's my area area Chase. He's probably nineteen years old, the hell of a lot more, right, Chicken.
Speaker 3: He's out there and poor bloke was running after him because he almost had him. I think it was Matt Crouch grabbed him. And there's a bit of controversy around what the player the players can't be grabbing.
Speaker 2: We're going to go into this into detail on the podcast.
Speaker 4: I mean you can't.
Speaker 3: I would definitely say that I'm very much on the player's side, and I reckon it was unders what they did to this bloke. But you know, Matt Crouch grabbed him and waited for the security guard to come over, and he still let him go.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't want to.
Speaker 3: Watch that on the on the review the Security team review on the Monday Jeepers. But he's like waddling after him and he finally got him because Ben Keyes, you know, grabbed him and tripped him up. And we'll talk about that later. But that's my cla. I'm giving it a bit fifty to fifty. Definitely more the goose that jumped the fence in the first place, but.
Speaker 2: Maybe the athletic ability of the.
Speaker 4: I reckon it's a bit of yoga or something.
Speaker 2: A bit of stretching pregame might help him out.
Speaker 3: Just get a bit more limba, just like free up those hips do some somber classes hips. Because it was it was very waddly, it was very very Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well that's good to know. Good now you doubled up.
Speaker 1: You've actually got two people in your Cleaner of the week this week, so I appreciate that my player is going to be quite simple now over the week. There was a few things that happened before the games, right, There's a few coin tosses that happened.
Speaker 2: Marblade boys over there.
Speaker 1: They got a bit of a call up for the coin toss and a strageous he was real hyped about it. I don't know, maybe he just lost it in the lights. Sometimes you lose it in the lights of the sun. But it was Marble Stadium. There was a roof on, so I don't think that excuse is probably valid. But he just toss the coin, just staring up as if the thing had left the building. And then I told him, I said, Mike, Pink is not performing there. She's not doing acrobatics, put your head back down to the ground. The damn, the damn corn's landed, and you need to call it what it is. But then their their counterparts came over and he took a real serious next game and made sure they made up for that.
Speaker 2: And they're not.
Speaker 1: They're not getting made fun up for it. So that's gonna be my clinger of the week. Coin toss probably the easiest part of the game. Uh, don't try and screw that up just but I will say Clark I got a good life out of it. So there was a bit of hilarity and now big fans of them and what they do, providing a bit of happiness for everyone out there.
Speaker 4: To say Clark, I just in a bit of a happy.
Speaker 2: He's like our Ross line of last year. I think, yeah, true.
Speaker 4: Maybe they got into the same stuff.
Speaker 1: We're gonna jump into that same killed the game at the end of this episode. But we'll go straight into the Geelong game. Let's start off there.
Speaker 3: We said last week went out on a on a on a limb limit. We said that Adelaide, we're going to win this game. Now they've let us down. But g didn't Geelong look good? They looked. I don't know, strong out there. It's hard when you know Tomahawk just turns it on. He kicks his four goals or whatever. You know that they're up and about. Jess is roaming around like a shark, just kicking one or two from outside fifty. But one thing that didn't help the situation because Adelaide got themselves right into the game. But Darcy Foggerty the fog, the fog, Oh boy, I wouldn't want to watch this one back. But he's running into an open goal square and just boots it right into the post. They kind of snuffed out any you know, chance of a comeback.
Speaker 4: And then as what normally has.
Speaker 1: Really Josh Bruce Stylin like in the goal square just just clanked it off the post and almost came back and hit him in the head.
Speaker 4: When they go in and they kick it at one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 2: The stadium, Yeah, you're in the goal squades, little touch.
Speaker 3: So I reckon when you you can speak on this, I can, obviously, but when you've got a bit too much time to think, Yeah, that's why when it all starts to go wrong, the demons are crawling in. They're like then the expectation is you kick it. Oh god, I have to kick this. Everyone's watching me. That one where you were I don't remember it, but the one that you actually did kick, I think it was against Geelong. You had the bounce running into fifty and kicked it and did the arm spread out?
Speaker 2: Well did I just do that? I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I will say this though, whenever you're at the at the back round and you got the goal square, it's a great opportunity just to absolutely pelt the ball into their cheer squad. Yeah, with no ramifications whatsoever. These people have been absolutely going at your whole game long, and you've just got this line up five meters away from their head.
Speaker 2: You launched that shit straight into them.
Speaker 4: I think there's a famous one of Tony.
Speaker 3: Lockett really just tried to spirit through people, like explode them. But yeah, Tony, he did whatever he wanted, and you wouldn't. I don't think anyone would have the balls to say otherwise. He threw a set of crutches at Eddie McGuire. No, not a lot of people are going to be throwing things at Eddie. He's got a lot of he's got a lot of balls. But what about Tom Stewart.
Speaker 2: This little he's a you know, a gun is what he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, you were saying before off here that he doesn't get the plaudits that he deserves, when it's I think he's there.
Speaker 1: I think, I mean, like, I do think he gets a lot of credit, but I don't think we're really play realizing how good of a player he is. We talk about the Tom Hawkins, told about the Jesse Camerons from Geely and all that, but Tom Stewart him blitz those guys there, there's such a diverse kind of player. They're kind of the reason I think that they're getting over the line in all these games. And you know, we always look to the people that kick the five goals and stuff, but these people are playing in the back line are really holding them down to keep him in these games. So it's it's one of those things you don't give give a bit of credit to the defenders, right. Yeah, And he's in his one hundred and fiftieth game. You know, it's a big occasion for him. He stood up on the stage. He had a massive amount of intercepts, but was it fifteen intercepts? On the day eleven marks. I mean, he played out of his skin, let's be honest, and I think it's just it's great. I mean, defenders probably don't get a lot of the credit you know that they deserve. And Tom's one of the best in the league, been doing it for a long time. And to see him at one hundred and fifty games be able to perform on the big stage, it was pretty cool to see.
Speaker 3: I don't think anyone was playing anywhere near him. He was just running around giving those intercept marks. Some of those ones are the real head scratches from I guess opposition coach, but just people sitting at home and you're like Stephen May has been doing it forever.
Speaker 4: Put a near him, he's just soaking it up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's good to say Tom Stewart out there just dominating. But he did one hundred and fifty games. Is it okay? Do you reckon it's stock standard? Do you get chaired off after one hundred and fifty games? What's the chair off protocol?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to say yes because I don't think I'm reaching two hundred. Don't think that's in my future. Hopefully I can get two hundred and fifty and get chaired off. I did one hundred steal at three hundred and fifty, so I think I was a little bit outshone that, But yeah, I took the back seal.
Speaker 2: I was like, steal your date. But no, I think one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 1: Every fifty games as a player, you kind of realize how hard it is to get to the big kind of milestones of one hundred hundred and fifty, two hundred and fifty, three hundred three point fifty for Tomahawk this week. So that's going to be a massive thing. I don't know who the hell's going to carry his ass.
Speaker 2: That's going to be a big that's gonna be a big chair out though. Who's getting the call up with two on the shoulders?
Speaker 1: But like that one, their rocks are like running, just how they might need to crutch after that. But no, I think it's there's always this controversy around, you know, what's enough credit to give to people whenever they have milestones like that. And I think obviously he would get you know, acknowledgment for the game and throughout the week and then probably in the pregame meeting and stuff like that. Have his family and all out there. But I'm all for celebrating people have these kind of accomplishments because you kind of realize that any game, any kind of training session like it all can be taken away from you so quickly. So I don't understand why we don't just celebrate these things. Maybe there's like something more we need to do. For a chair off for a big like three hundreds of the four hundreds or something like that, and then we still have, you know, acknowledgments at fifty. I mean, it's like we're gonna chair off neck after fifty. That doesn't happen. I mean maybe fifty, But yeah, I think there's like maybe the chairs like the in between. Then you have like the absolute legends. You know, people are tomahawk that's what harriv and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Maybe there's another level we need to go with it to be able to acknowledge them.
Speaker 4: Hook them to a harness or something and they.
Speaker 1: Shoot out of the maybe out do a full lap, full lap, and you have the family back there grand final style.
Speaker 4: Because that's the only reason I would say that you don't do it.
Speaker 3: You've got to reserve the chair for the ultimate you know, accolade. Maybe, like I think the chair should kick in at two hundred up because there's like not that many milestones beyond two hundred. I mean, pendles are going to four hundred. What do you do at four hundred.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's going to be some Obviously you'll have the banner probably specific for you.
Speaker 4: In four hundred.
Speaker 3: That's the You've got to have both teams line up bare minimum for the clap off.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: Maybe there's like a you know, you turn the lights off or some of that, and you play a video up on the screen or something on those lines of like just acknowledging their career.
Speaker 4: And then it always sucks if they lose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's always an awkward one, isn't it. Maybe it's a pregame thing. It's all a pregame thing, right, Yeah, some fireworks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fireworks going on.
Speaker 3: Let's jump back into this streaker chat because Ben Keyes it's been reported by Tom Brown.
Speaker 4: Now I thought he was off the scene, but he's back.
Speaker 2: He's back.
Speaker 4: He's back.
Speaker 2: Couldn't hold a man down.
Speaker 3: He's back on Twitter, where he limits the amount of interactions that people can have more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, smart I've deleted the apps.
Speaker 3: So I don't know whether it's true or not, but we take his word on he's professional journalist. And then Ben keyes charged or fined find ten thousand dollars for his interaction with the streak. And now he grabbed him and kind of did like a little Judo toss trip to you know, stop this guy, which you know, the.
Speaker 1: Keys is always in the media for fine, he's always in the media.
Speaker 2: Feel bad.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if he's actually making any money anymore. He just can find every week.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, like, so the argument is like, don't touch just don't touch the fans even if they're out there. Fans safety, all of that stuff. You could argue in my books, player safety.
Speaker 1: Because the player hasn't safety even it's it's like someone else coming into our office.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if the if the security guard is not getting there in time to intervene, Yeah, you probably got a self defense, right. That would be me putting that out there. But I remember early days on this podcast which sparked a bit of a furor, was you said that you would basically kick the ass of any streaker jumped over the fence and came up to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got to preface this is before I knew there was financial penalties to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Grant is so I want to be doing just to be able to prove a point in the podcast. I'm happy to let down and be able to say was wrong, just to not to pay ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where do you stand on all this?
Speaker 3: As it'll split everyone because you've got fans v players. But apparently the fan you know, it looks like they've been They can get banned up to three years from the stadium, and a five thousand dollars five is wild. So if keys he's getting ten k is it all relative because he's on the AFL coin and you can you don't want to.
Speaker 4: Charge the people jumping over the fence.
Speaker 3: Well, the players are getting paid versus you know, the fine you should.
Speaker 1: Be saying it's relative to what you do for a living. I think it's like one of those things where yeah, but this man comes in and goes into the AFL world and decides to interrupt the AFL industry, he should be fine?
Speaker 2: Is not just as much, if not more?
Speaker 1: I like the I look at it as I'm like whenever you go into a game, Right, I've really done this in a while, But like, I mean, how much security is there really to go into a game?
Speaker 4: What like how many security around the outside of the game.
Speaker 1: I mean, like there like security guards that sit there and you know, pat you down everything else. Like, yeah, the pat down is the loosest packdown you'll ever see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is like literally not even looking at you yet touch a chest piece. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I think we've all been to a footy game. We realized that security going into the joint probably you know, it's it's pretty easy just to roll in. I'm sure sure a few people have fasks they've brought in, no doubt, But yeah, I just think it's one of those things where like player safety and welfare, it's like this guy's jumping around, rolling around doing all that stuff, Like you have no idea kind of what condition this person is that's running into the field. So yeah, it's it's a priority health and safety for the players. I guess we have to have health and safety for the person that's running onto the field, you know, but I think it's more on the security guards around him to say, you know, if you see someone running out there, you need to get to them before that, but you have five meters from essentially the boundary to the stands.
Speaker 3: That was the problem because he ran into the stoppage. The security guard stood on the outside because he's like, I can't really run into the stoppage because I'm also a hazard running in there. So yeah, it was I reckon. It's a it's a gap in security. Like there's definitely like what do you do in that circumstance. I subscribe to the w w A model, whereas if you jump that fence and you go into that ring fair game, you're in their arena. They can just kick the ship out of here.
Speaker 2: It's like the cage of death or what.
Speaker 3: You jump into the Let's jump over to the North Melbourne Frio game. North were in it, and they were in it early, but then Freo have done this two weeks in a row where they've just piled on the goals. Now, going into the season, everyone was questioning Frio's ability to score. They were, you know, defensive team in that defensive mold, but they've got so many good forwards at the moment and they just smashed on nine.
Speaker 4: Goals back to back to back to back to back. Bank and yeah in the air.
Speaker 1: To the right, and it's like last goals, it's like bang, make for you for fear for f.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the end, they got the job done. Luke Jackson. Now this is a conundrum.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Coaches always say, oh, it's a good problem to have when there's positive selection for spots, that's tight. But Luke Jackson two goals, twenty four disposals, twenty one hitouts, absolutely star. He was the catalyst for them getting back into it and going on their run with Brayshaw. But the problem is when Sean Darcy comes back, does he just push Jackson aside, take that lead rock spot back and Jackson has to find another position to fill around the ground and we know we can go up forward, we know he can pretty much play anywhere. Is that an advantage? What's the team thing to do in that situation? If the team's humming the stuff with something that's working well.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we all know that there's a there's a big cont tracks for both of them. So you kind of look at those players that are on big contracts and you say, it's a conundrum for you know, coaches say, oh, it's good to have competition, but I'd say it's good to have competition with them unless those two people are fighting for the same spot and they're on a decent chunk of your salary cap, right, because then you're going, okay, I'm probably getting pressure from the board to say we need to play, we need to play the payer, play the players that are getting paid the most.
Speaker 2: Jesus of a tongue twist say that to fast.
Speaker 1: But with this situation, like Shawn dars is one of the best ruckmens in the league, Luke Jackson gives a very different look.
Speaker 2: From what Seawan provides.
Speaker 1: But I think that they'll end up probably bringing Sean back in see Luke Ford test it out, and then if it doesn't work out, you know, they might go back to this where they're winning games with Luke Jackson in the rock. So you know, the thing it reminds me most of is the Berdie Grundy scenario with Maxicon last year. Right, So you have Max down comes back in, can't play as much Ford or doesn't want to play as much Ford and Brodie wants kind of their rustling for who's getting the more rock time, and then Brody kind of gets dropped and then that's kind of where the situation lands. So not to say that's what's going to happen here Freo, but that's kind of what I'm looking at right now and saying hopefully that's not the situation they find themselves in, and who knows what's going to happen. But I think my ideas you bring Shane back in, you put look back forward. Unfortunately, it's going to mean one of the big forwards is probably gonna have to come out, even though they're probably playing well. But it's just the scenario that as a coach you probably decide.
Speaker 3: They got gi Amos up there, they got big Dick Tracy who's playing some pretty good footy. They've been actually, they've actually been spoiled for choice with Fords, minus the fact that most of the times have paid this big money for.
Speaker 4: Fords and it just hasn't worked.
Speaker 3: I saw Jesse Ogan, who's absolutely killing it at the Giants, who's playing just as well at Melbourne, just had a massive dip when he went to Freemantle. They had Cam McCarthy that didn't work out. Rory Love, Yeah, it's they've I reckon. They've settled on a couple of absolute beauties Dick Tracy is a rookie, which is in the checkers mold, which is.
Speaker 4: You just want someone to go out there and just.
Speaker 2: Do the job for the team.
Speaker 4: Just go out there and do their job.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Tabern is probably that one that's probably coming out of that. He's getting a bit older now. Luke Jackson could just push forward. He's a good forward, but yeah, they're gonna have to test it out and see if it works. Another one that's actually kind of going all right in its you know, infancy is Goldstein and Draper. That Draper obviously got subbed oubt late in the game and they had to push Goldstein into the rut, which did work well. I think the thing is that both of those guys can actually play Ford. I think the whole thing why the Grundy Gorn thing didn't work is that forward aspect Ford element to it.
Speaker 4: But it's always interesting. People always talk.
Speaker 3: And you played two big rucks in the one team and you got yourself in DC.
Speaker 2: I've had plenty of experience in forward, and I think that's probably what's said. And it's one thing. One of our first came to the club.
Speaker 1: I looked at the positions that are available right, you had you know, Jared Witz Brodie Grundy, and that was my first year there, and I was like, well, it's going to take a few years to be able to try to even compete with them, to jump them. And then we had I think it's Jesse White, and we had Travis Klok who wasn't going as well at the time, and I kind of looked at and I was like, all right, well, if I can diversify as much as I can, try to learn two positions in one, it gives me double the chances of playing. Yeah, and that's kind of, you know, really been my savior at times as far as you know, if we as a team have someone come in, you know, you can kind of push to the other position. If you need that position field, you go to the other position, like and that's kind of giving me a bit of diversity, I guess in my game to the point where I can play multiple positions. And yeah, it's saved me to be able to have those years playing forward. So it is important I think for you know, people like Luke who's very similar to probably the position I play. He's a lot more mobile than I am, obviously, but you know, the ability to play those two positions allows them to have more flexibility in their team whenever, you know, Sean does come back, or if they want to just play him the right purely, they can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you imagine it'll affect his numbers Luke Jackson. But at the same time, maybe it'll just have he'll have more gas in the tank for short bursts.
Speaker 4: Yea, to absolutely just rip up games.
Speaker 3: And in a small burst. But yeah, it was it was an interesting one. Another interesting one that we saw was another outer bounds line ball decision.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this one.
Speaker 3: You know, there was a few over the weekend that kind of looked out of bounds, but you could say, you know, it's open to interpretation. This one not so so. It was a freemantle back half. It was a backwards kick to James Ash went over his head and hit the behind post on the full. Should have been out of bounds on the full. Umpires came together and had a discussion and then just called a boundary throw. Now, yeah, I don't know where this sits in the rules, but we've had so many rejigs of the umpire system with we've got an extra umpire out there, and it seems to have delayed calls, made hesitations, non calls. Then there's the issue where a field umpire might be in better position to call something for a boundary call, but that's not their job. It's the boundary umpire's call, and sometimes the boundary umpire because they have to do from the center circle all the way around to the behind post. One kick. This is like fifty sixty meter. Poor bloke's got to be humming to get into position. And we've seen it a couple of times this year already where they're out of position and they missed the call. Now this one, they showed the replay on the screen and it.
Speaker 4: As clear as day.
Speaker 3: No no like gray area or anything, No like bunt ball. It just went over Ash's head, hit the post on the fall, then bounce, and it was like, well, why do we have the score review system if you can't just go give us a quick look at that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we definitely have vision. Well yeah, why don't we just use that to be able to fix the issue.
Speaker 4: And it hit the post.
Speaker 3: So it's like although it wouldn't have been a score, it's still related to the goals as a whole. So it's just crazy where the umpire situations are and we're not going to zone in on one thing, but it's more just where we're at. Like it's like they've brought in more umpires, which is brought in more confusion and we're still nowhere.
Speaker 4: Near closer to like a good goal review system. It's shocking. But yeah, this one, it's just and that was probably the better one of the.
Speaker 2: Of the weekend.
Speaker 4: The game was still very much on the line.
Speaker 3: It was like two goals in it in the last quarter with about seven minutes to go, so it would have been a handy crack at goal for North, to say the least.
Speaker 4: But I don't know, it's.
Speaker 1: It's always going to be room for improvement. I think obviously we've talked about before there's a need for more umpires to be in the game. So they're trying to a few more umpires. There's a lot of them that have quite a few games that will be retiring I think in the next four to five years, and they're trying to really kind of you know, blood and get these new umpires up up to the level, you know, to be able to have that next generation come through. So if there's ability to be able to help them through visuals or camera angles or wherever it is to make the right call. Then I think we're all for it. Really, Like, extra five seconds to make sure that something's right isn't going to really kill us in the game, to be honest, extra five seconds for me to catch your breath. I'm pretty happy with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, obviously we don't want to get in any trouble by naming anyone saying anything specific, But have you noticed the delaying calls because watching games, I feel like, and I'm not sure if it's because there is an extra umpire and you get out of zone calls and stuff like that, but it feels like there's been a lot of like late whistles and delayed whistles and like calling back of moments and like it just seems really disjointed. I know there's been a lot of delayed calls and some commentary on Fox Footy about delayed whistles, which we've talked about in the past when we're trying to stamp out you know, sling tackles and all of that type of dumping tackle and delayed calls, Can you know, add to that and amplify it because they're like, oh, I got to take this to ground because it's there's no whistle coming.
Speaker 4: Have you noticed these delayed calls, Well, that's.
Speaker 1: Going to find it interesting because it's like I don't really think it would matter if you hear two whistles back to back, Like if you see something that happens, whether you're the person that's in that area, Like you might not be that you know, a person that's stealing four to fifty, but you might have a better angle because of the way they fell or something like that, you know they're hiding the ball, whatever it may be. If you make a call like that, just blow the whistle and then if the other person that adjudicates the same, then they'll blow the whistle too, and it might be like, you know, a half second difference. Yeah, But like to us as players, like once we hear whistle, we know it's time to stop. We know something's happened, right Whereas I don't think there's like any you know, negative to having more people trying to call. So yeah, it might sound more like a netball game at some point, but mostly it's like if you see it, call it, don't like wait for someone else to call it.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well they're talking to each other through the outer zone that like I saw this and I saw that.
Speaker 4: So like sometimes it's like if you see it, just call it.
Speaker 2: Someone shouldn't be like an issue.
Speaker 4: Someone move on outer.
Speaker 3: Zone, will communicate to someone in their zone and be like stop, that's a free kick, and you can see them being like, all right, I've blown.
Speaker 4: My whistle, what's it for?
Speaker 3: And they're waiting for a decision which ways are going and all of that. It's just I don't know, it's it seems really disjointed at the moment, and at least from a viewers standpoint, But yeah, I hope they iron out the kinks as the season goes on. Let's jump into the Hawthorne Melbourne game. It is a very ugly game. I don't actually want to talk that much about it because it was an ugly.
Speaker 2: Kill them ninety three Hawthorn thirty eight. Yeah it was thirty eight for a game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was kind of thinking that Hawthorne was going to keep making improvements and it's like it's very early in the season to be making hard calls on them, But you want to see a hell of a lot more improvement out of them than this, and it was made. I was watching First Crack last night and they were actually saying that it's they're a fair bit further into the rebuild than we've been led to believe. They're kind of three years into this rebuild because it did start in the Claco regime. So yeah, three years into it, you definitely want to see a team at least start to get into start scoring at least thirty eight points in a game.
Speaker 4: That's pretty shocking.
Speaker 3: And you know, they got some pretty good key forwards up there to do their thing, a lot of a lot of good small forwards, and then yeah, it gets interesting when it's I think Luke Bruce was subed out for Jack Gunston.
Speaker 4: Now, obviously they're older players, so.
Speaker 3: I'm guessing they just need some leadership down there, so they take one leader out replacing with another. But at the same time, do you want to still be doing that, you be just blooding youngsters. They're still not the youngest team out there for like a team that's only scoring thirty eight like you kind of I want to see that progression.
Speaker 1: Yeah you do, But I think it's important to have those people that know exactly what is supposed to be happening, and being able to put people in the right spots. He looked at lou College with Brisbane back in the day, like he was essentially there as a coach slash player, putting people in different positions, and like, was he the most athletic person out there and being able to run Now he was, like, I don't know how old he was at the time, but he was so important for them in their structure to make sure they're in the right places. And you look at them whenever he retired, how much better off they were for having in the environment and being on ground and being able to show the main game to help other players understand it whenever they start playing. And I think that's there's definitely a value to that. Obviously, Hawthorne, you look at it. Thirty eight points obviously not ideal. But Melbourne's one of those really good teams, Like they're a top fourteen last year, they've been top four for the last few years. They are definitely putting on him. I think we got people kicking five goals we had for after it. I say his name every single thing.
Speaker 3: Fridge, which is Frida, which is I wanted to ask, what's your favorite fritter.
Speaker 2: I've only known a corn fritter.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so there's here. We've got the pineapple fridder. It's all just deep fried stuff.
Speaker 2: That's fair food. Yeah, like steep fairfood.
Speaker 4: Like a banana fritter.
Speaker 2: Oh fried banana really good? Yeah, I will say, very good.
Speaker 4: My favorite thing.
Speaker 3: I big, big country boy me and Harrow on the decks country boys.
Speaker 4: He's not so much. He's from Rochy, CBD.
Speaker 2: But I'm from the big smoke.
Speaker 4: Right out there. We go camping and what we do?
Speaker 3: You get the banana, slice it down the middle, Cadbury chocolate in it, wrap it in tinfoil, chuck it on the fire.
Speaker 2: Looks like an Australian s'more.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, you just hate that up. Let it all ooze through and melt and then just burn the ship out of your mouth.
Speaker 2: Right, I love that.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get back to footya how we go into this food thing? But yeah, first kick fi goals. Yeah, so Fred Fritch, we'll say.
Speaker 3: And it's cool because I do get what you mean with the leadership up there, when you do have so many absolute jet small forwards to be learning off the likes of like Luke Bruce and Jack Gunstan.
Speaker 4: You've got Guinny. He's going to be up there.
Speaker 3: He's going to be around for a long time, so it's good to be able to learn off them while you still can. Nick Watson, the Wizard Whiz was up there, kicked his first goal, which is awesome to see. You like to see the kids, you know, getting out there getting some experience. Now, another kid he had twenty nine touches, kicked the goal, Christian Patruca.
Speaker 4: But that's not why he gained attention.
Speaker 3: Because there was a moment where it was a long high ball into Melbourne's defense and Christian Petruca got back and spoiled. Spoiled, But he looked happier than when he kicked his guy. He was getting back high ten, big smile on his face. After the game, he said that is because his teammates give him shit because he only averages one defensive spoil per year. So the last three years he's averaged one defensive spoil. Person I wouldn't be telling the media that he was just stoked that he got it in round two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I mean, he's already he's already hit the quota.
Speaker 2: He doesn't need to go back into D fifty anymore.
Speaker 1: I did see the old double cobras as soon as he got the spoil. But I think like as a you know, as a midfielder, I think it was such an effort, Like if you looked at the zoomed out vision of it, he was a fair way off the person of the goal square. They're up by a decent amount, Like no one's going to really give him crap or flak if he doesn't make that effort right. He goes on a full tilt sprint and just knocks the surup of the line. And it's like, you know, whenever your team you're humming and stuff like they were, you really get to enjoy and I guess celebrate those little things. Yeah, Like in a close, tight game, you know, it's just like a quick eye five ce later move on to the next thing. But in those games were really kind of head quite a bit, you actually get to have a bit of a laugh and enjoyment or around it. And that's what I think he saw out a track in that moment. It's a sign they're going really well. You know, whenever you have leaders making those decisions, you know, no matter what the score is on the or what the number is on the scoreboard, They're still trying to do the best no matter what it is.
Speaker 2: And it's a good sign with out of the club.
Speaker 3: Speaking of leaders, Stephen May and Jake Lever big injuries out of this game now. Jake Leaver is a kind of a bit of a wait and see. They strapped up his knee, but he didn't come back onto the ground. And Stephen May, boy, he cut a knee kind of under the armpit by Marvey ol Cho.
Speaker 4: He's a big boy.
Speaker 3: You don't want to be coming a knee from him anywhere. But I love how the news has been painting this one. They're like, good news, Stephen May only has two broken ribs and damaged vertebra Yeah, how many vertebrae is a good amount to have damaged?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I would probably say none.
Speaker 2: I would say none.
Speaker 4: But that's pretty good news for him. But he might miss only a week.
Speaker 1: That is that baffles me if you're saying damage br like that's not something that just like heals like that. You know, it takes a while for your back, which is not really replaceable, to get better.
Speaker 2: But the two ribs.
Speaker 1: I was I was thinking abou whenever I had this, because I had a broken rib last year and I was like, oh man, it is the worst feeling because.
Speaker 2: You every breath you.
Speaker 1: Take, you're just in agony and pain. You just you feel it and there's nothing you can.
Speaker 2: Do for it.
Speaker 1: You just have to let it sit there and you put a pad or like a guard or something on. But there is literally no like rehab for it. There's no nothing. You just have to fight through the pain for like six weeks. So I can imagine that night after the game, or that night of the game, he would have had a pretty sleepless night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah he went to hospital spend the night. It would have been pretty rough. You never want to spend the night in the hospital. You can attest to that. I actually did allegedly break a rib playing indoor soccer. When I say allegedly, because I went to the club doctor of Collingwood, yeah, and they said, well, yeah, you've probably broken it, but you can go get a scan. And then they just confirmed that you've broken it and then they can't do anything.
Speaker 1: And I was like, well, I'll just go, I'll just tell the stories if it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did break those rips. Let's jump into the Sydney Essendon game, because out of all the games, so much.
Speaker 4: To talk about.
Speaker 3: Out of this one, the biggest talking point will jump straight into it. Off the top, big two meter Peter just ran through Cunningham and it's one of those ones that will talk about and they'll be debated all week. But it was a marking contest. Now, two meter Peter didn't put his arms out, he didn't try to spoil, He just braced himself. He braced for contact, and unfortunately Cunningham was the one that was on the receiving end, fully knocked out cold and was helped from the ground. Now, this one's going to be debated all week. But how do you see this? Not in terms of this incident as a specific, but it's been discussed that don't be surprised if you see players kind of pulling out a contest or stopping short. I keep harping back onto the conversation that we had pretty much round zero that I feel like the players are the last layer of mitigation to risk and I feel like that's the mindset that needs to change.
Speaker 4: It's like I'm not going to get there. It might I might be line ball.
Speaker 3: I might get there at the same time, but it's definitely not my ball. He's getting there first. I just have to pull up and do what I can to hold up play and stop play because there's just going to.
Speaker 4: Be more and more of these incidents.
Speaker 3: We're not really going to progress forward because people that are saying, oh, he should have put an arm out to look like he was trying to spoil and he would have got off. I don't think it's a oh, what can we do to finesse the system to try and get off to make it look like I was trying to do something.
Speaker 4: You're not going to get there. Just pull up, hold up play.
Speaker 2: There is this whole thing I think in AFL.
Speaker 1: I've realized this is like there's a there's probably like a second to a half second after a person mark, so you can still make contact with them, right And it's a whole the makeing earn it attitude, And I think that's probably one thing the AFL is looking at is going if you do hit someone after they've taken a mark or they've gone for the contest and it is at half second something free kick right away, right where it's like kind of this weird gray area that the AFL has where you can still kind of like, you know, act like you're still jumping into them and like make them try to, you know, fumble the ball. And I think like situations like this will definitely make it to the point where they're going to go more extreme on the side you need to pull out of that contest. Yeah, and you know, we've always talked about concussion here, and we've talked about head high contact and we take it very seriously. In this situation, it's you never want to see someone. We'll probably talk about it in the game with Mason Wood with Saint Kilda. Yeah, you never, never, never, never want to see it. But I think the AFL will look at these situations you go all right, one, you know, they'll judicate it with their kind of grid system of high contact, intentional, all these kind of things wherever it is, and then be able to put out the penalty. But whenever it comes to these situations, they're going to go, Okay, how do we mitigate these as much as possible in the game. That's probably going to mean those ones where you say you need to make them earn it by going in there, you know, and really kind of like bashing into their body after they've kind of already been in the contest. After that half second, they're going to probably start penalizing those and I don't know if it'll be a fifty meters free kick or whoever it may be, but it's similar to like, you know, tackling someone and holding onto them whenever they you sing them to the ground. You know, It's similar to that after the kind of the the deal's been done, someone's already made the dispose of wherever it is, and you decided to do an extra effort to make them hurt, right, And I think that's one thing with the marketing contest, and it's going to be adjudicated, probably pretty heavily over the next you know, for the rest of the season. I think there's been a few already contests and stuff that's happened, and you know, they've been sent to the tribunal, and that's just going to be the future I think of the game.
Speaker 3: I did like the take bracing for contact is essentially saying I'm going to protect myself over your opposition. That's you saying, look, I need to protect me because I'm getting there, laid or whatever over my opposition. I think the thought needs to change to I can see in front of me, he can't see behind him. Players need to start looking after other players. Which is going to be that's a question that it's going to be a mindset that a lot of people don't like. Fans aren't going to like it. You're not gonna you know, it's just going to be one of those things where it's, you know, Peter's leading up at that ball.
Speaker 4: Peter Wright's leading up at that ball.
Speaker 3: He knows what's in front of him, and Cunningham's just putting himself back in a position. It's going to have to get to the point where we draw a line in the sand and say whose obligation is it Cunningham's not to put himself in a vulnerable position and go back with the flight, or is it Peter Wright leading up at the ball going I can see I'm going to steamroll him.
Speaker 2: It's the person that sees the ball and the man. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's going to be very interesting, and it's We're still a while away, but I feel like we're progressing at a really quick rate.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Someone that didn't like the incident, which is understandable, Tom Pappley, and he voiced his opinion over and over and over as he actually did it on three separate occasions. One was coming off the ground, one was coming off the ground at halftime doing the interview, because it's it's been out there that Brad Scott was saying that, you know, SNN needs to play with his hard edge, his hard edge, and Tom Papley was questioning whether the hard edge was more like sniping or was it you know, you're going for the ball. Now, obviously he would have his own opinion because he's, you know, his teammates has just been knocked out in the contest, so he was questioning whether it was at the man or at the ball, and he kept on going on with it.
Speaker 1: Now, is this in the heat of the moment? I halftime too, Like you'd be still filthy about it. You haven't really taken a breath about the situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I read it. I read the fact that these supporting his teammates. Well, I have no issue with it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: He had another couple of cracks at it after the game. Yeah, and it definitely builds some spice for the next encounter.
Speaker 4: We've been through this, We've talked about this.
Speaker 3: Are people ready for players to start speaking their mind a bit more? Because as much as we say, oh, he spoke his mind, absolutely love it, would love to see more of it. This whole week is going to be talking about that, and you know there'll be a spotlight on it because there's not enough things like this that happen. There's only Normally one player goes out there, they stick their head up and then they get whacked and then they go back into their shell and they don't want to do it again. Hopefully Tom Papley is not like that. We know that he's an outspoken bloke, but do you reckon people are ready for We say one thing and I think we meet another. Because we say we want to see players talk shit it then as soon as one player says anything remotely charismatic that can promote the game.
Speaker 4: We absolutely tee off on them.
Speaker 3: And I'm not talking minor stuff. It's like death threats, it's like violence. It's like they'll reach out to the families that we'll see racism, we'll see like all kinds of vile trash yep. But every other week we're asking to see more of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think the media wants to see more of it because it creates a better atmosphere for the game. So I think for people actually agree with it or are ready for it, I don't think so. I look at obviously, like being an American, you'll look at that side of things and what kind of personality people can actually show out there. Totally different, totally different the mentality. You know, you talk about top poppy syndrome in Australia. The fact that you have a terminology for it is probably a sign that it's a problem.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The fact that you can sit there and be like, now we're actually going to create a word just for this situation because we're so shit at it, Yeah, that's probably a sign within itself. But you know, it's it's one of those things. It's like it's going to take people like PAPS and myself and others are in the AFL to just keep pushing that, you know, that initiative to say, you know what, we do have a voice and I'm here to protect my teammates and whether you agree with me or not, like that's that's your opinion and you can I can respect that, but I have to agree with it, and it's it's one of those things like if it's your team, right, Like if you're a support, you're like, oh, it's great for peraps. If you're in essence sport, you're going fuck Papal. He's a dickhead and it's well, now he's just trying to protect his team, as if you would protect a mate of yourself.
Speaker 3: People want to hear outspoken players unless it's about their team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then it's a free for all. It's on for young and all.
Speaker 1: The media one it's more headline for them, Yeah, more papers to sell, more everything else. But we I mean we look at whenever the whole GWS thing happened, right, Yeah, media was filthy that I wanted to talk about it on this podcast because they didn't get clicks for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're a pissed And imagine if you didn't have a podcast, you wouldn't have.
Speaker 2: You would never no one to know the truth anyway.
Speaker 3: There's a lot to speak about it, but another out of it before you go, another out of bound situation, and this one, I believe was probably the worst.
Speaker 4: Of the weekend.
Speaker 3: You might argue something different, but Kyle Langford marked the ball, it would have to be a meter and a half.
Speaker 2: Over the lone on the astro turf.
Speaker 3: Essentially, he was very close to running onto the astro turf. And although we saw in your game Jeremie Howe get called for play on while he was standing out of bounds and it got called for a throw in, Kyle Langford marked it out of bounds and continue to run down the wing out of bounds before coming back into play. He kicked the ball inside Essendon's Ford fifty and it resulted in a direct goal. Now, with the amount of umpires that are standing out there, I don't know how all the players know what happened. All the fans know what happened, Every commentator on the broadcast, every blokes sitting at home, every guy sinking pots of the pub.
Speaker 2: Everyone twelve pub knows what's going on.
Speaker 3: Everyone knew what was happening except for the umpires in that situation. And it's just as a professional organization and league, we can't have that happen.
Speaker 2: That can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's yeah, I get that. You can't tee off on people. You can't tee off on umpires, especially because we want more of them in the game.
Speaker 1: But it's just when Channel seven shows every different angle of how it's wrong. Yeah, it doesn't help the situation.
Speaker 3: No, it definitely doesn't help the situation. And it's like if it's a procedural thing, if it's a maybe the field umpire saw it, but the boundary umpire wasn't in position. We need a system to be able to have a field umpire overall or give their opinion based on that because it was it was shocking, but like he's.
Speaker 2: Going to be a mistakes made bra that's just part of the football game.
Speaker 3: There was multiple out of bounds this weekend, which we will get to the third one later that's two or three. And Travis Clark, this was a great This is a great one. This was like clock This takes me back to just like, you know, a common sense one almost nineties esque, when when some of that common sense still you know, existed.
Speaker 4: But there was a bit of a fracker, a bit of a malle.
Speaker 3: Now Travis Cloaks, the runner for Essendon, he was out there, he ran around and grabbed pretty much every Essendon player didn't touch any of the opposition, grabbed them and pulled them out of the malle. And said get back to your position. They all respected him, they all trust him, and they did see Travis did not question. He's got the big handlebar mustache, the big waus mustache.
Speaker 4: You're like, who's pulling at me?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, it's wherever you want me to.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sir, I'm so sorry. I apologize. What do you want? Do you want to be a cook you tomorrows?
Speaker 3: You know now they're going around there like putting out warnings to clubs saying runner, you know, redefining their roles, stay out of it, which I get if it like sets a bad precedent or whatever going forward. But it was good to see Trav go in there and go hey boy, stuffing around probably like that, and everyone moved on, So it was glad. I was happy to see it. Always happy to see tremor cloke, to be honest.
Speaker 2: But it's like NBA.
Speaker 1: Right when there's a scuff on the NBA, the coaches come out there, all the assistant coaches come out and they start pulling people off each other and stuff like that. So obviously Foot is a bit different. But I understand that side of things. But I think Travis Clark had the right intentions, just to try to, you know, just settle the situation that was out there.
Speaker 3: If you were in a malle and you just saw Clarko coming over to you and he's rolling his sleeves up.
Speaker 4: You're like, oh god, jeepers, get me out of here.
Speaker 3: I just want to say one quick one on like a well done. I want to say Zach Merritt. There's been a lot of shots over his entire playing career, A lot to be said about his pressure tackling, you know, two way running. Nothing that I can judge on because I wouldn't too way run to the fridge and back to get a beer. But he had an amazing game, although Essnton lost. He was really trying to carry them over the line on his back. Last quarter he rundown tackles, kicking goals. There was a moment where he got subbed off for a seven minute period or whatever.
Speaker 4: Sydney kicked a couple more goals.
Speaker 3: He came back out there, more tackles, more goals. He was doing everything. So it's awesome to see he's been given the captaincy and you know, I don't know if that's seen a changing mindset or whatever, but he's yeah, he's definitely leading from the front and it was crazy to watch him out there. We've got to get through this Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast. This is one that we can get some time back on, Max because yeah, just a bit sad, count a bit sad to see you boys go out there, Gold Coast, out to Beller Out.
Speaker 4: What did you make of the game?
Speaker 1: Packed house ninety seven hundred out there at Beller Right, they showed up.
Speaker 4: That was good.
Speaker 1: Actually, that's actually pretty good for a country foot game like blood. Yeah, yeah, my Gold Coast signs. Unfortunately, not the greatest night.
Speaker 3: No, what was cool was seeing Matty Raugo head to head with Tom Libertore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, licking your lips.
Speaker 1: He felt real at home out there. Riemio Primo Grass out there all Matt Ralph Yeah, but no, I think yeah, Gorko signs. Unfortunately, couldn't get couldn't get up on this one. Cody Weightman had six goals, five and a half, absolutely dominated, was was incredible on the day, had thirty two and two goals. So the Bulldogs had a bit of a day out, especially some of their big players.
Speaker 3: We did talk about the malee that happened in the essening game.
Speaker 4: There was a little frakker.
Speaker 3: There's a frack that happened in a lot of games, yeah, but in this one we're in particular. There was an interesting moment. It was Latham Vandermire came across and kind of it was a simultaneous hit. We'll say, Alex Sxxton kicking the ball and it looked like his shoulders may have got Alex.
Speaker 4: Sex high a little, just a little sit little.
Speaker 3: Chef, and Sexton didn't take too kindly to it and almost did like a little palm shove.
Speaker 2: Off on later, open hand, open hand, open and.
Speaker 3: He's smart boy. But Latham, my god, it was luck he was shot. He went yeah, holding his head, a real soccer player esque. Now we don't like to throw the players under the bus, but cheapest it sparked a malee. Everyone's coming in, Bond's coming in, flying the flag for his players, and they're all ragged on each other.
Speaker 4: It's surely lath.
Speaker 3: You've got to look at the replay screen if they have one out there.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if.
Speaker 3: They do, but geez, you gotta be going. I don't want to see they got him on super slow mo. He's caught in four k just playing it up. You have to come up with an excuse for that one. Yeah, yeah, he got me. I had a bad year. Ear infectionate just shook me. It's yeah, there's.
Speaker 1: One place to get away with it. It's probably right though they wouldn't have as many camera angles there.
Speaker 4: Cold down there and my ears were frozen.
Speaker 3: You got to be shaping. We move into the Richmond Port game. Richmond, I guess uh, you know, courageous in defeat. They've they've done that a couple of times now and I think that'll be their year where they've just a lot of close ones, a lot of you know, good efforts but just couldn't get over the line.
Speaker 2: But Port big game report, Yeah game.
Speaker 3: They need to as all interstate teams do, need to be able to come over to Melbourne prove that they can get him win at the MCG good against a good opposition, but both three fiftieth.
Speaker 2: Big story to get to three hundred and fifty games. It is not a fluke.
Speaker 3: He's had a bit of a roller coaster in recent times, but like to give up the captaincy and then be able to focus on footy, and that almost coincided, like we saw a massive spike right after that happened. And I don't know if if it's just him back to love and footy or whatever, but he's been playing some ripping footy over the last couple of years. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it's a credit to him, man, especially at this age still being able to perform at a high level. It's not easy. And yeah, he had worth fifteen touches over the weekend. It was just I think for myself watching the game, it was just so nice to see them get around him. Yeah, especially celebrating after the game with him and stuff like that. You know, it's such a feel good moment at a club whenever you have such a big milestone person and be able to win that game and have that kind of happy attitude leaving there, like the last thing you want is to lose that game. Him sit there, this whole family there and trying to be happy in the shitty situation. It was good to see them when good to see all the boys get around him. He's meant so much of that club. He's been to face of that club for a long long time. Him and Ken have had a nice long relationship over there, and it's a credit to him.
Speaker 2: So shout out to old Boki.
Speaker 4: Now I'm going to butcher this name, Mike Kelty Lafel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna apologize before you can go to that. Yeah, it's one of my favorite parts to the game. There's a lot of heartwarming things in this game, very good heart warming.
Speaker 4: His family's pre game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he had a bunch of family members fly over and they did the hawker for him pre game. She's pretty so everyone knows the hawker is the traditional dance over there in New Zealand that a lot of the tribes do, and he had that pre game and they did a little thing for him out there, which is really cool and I'm sure it would have meant a lot. I know he had that amazing kind of vision of him whenever he was picked up by Richmond, him calling his parents and stuff and how much it meant to him, and it was very heartwarming there. And then you know, as a as a New Zealand native, I'm sure that would would have meant a lot to him to have the club be able to allow his family to do that pre game for him. They are a very inclusive club over there at Richmond Football Club. They do some pretty amazing stuff in the community, and I think this is just one of those signs of what they do and looking after their players and respecting where they come from and different cultural things they have that are involved with their families.
Speaker 4: It was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: We will move into the West Coast GWS game sadly because.
Speaker 2: It was a bit of a got up a team. Yeah no, I don't know, watch what we got? How do you go?
Speaker 3: He actually he actually did pretty well, and I think everyone would have seen the vision because it was a bit of a one two fend off and then he copped a massive hit at the end, but set up set up a mark inside fifty, so it was cool.
Speaker 4: He will start to do more and more as his career progresses.
Speaker 3: He's only a couple of games in, but yeah, GWS got the win, first time they've ever been three, and oh it's a start a season, which is pretty crazy. I did see another one from Toby Green. He took his studs up mark that no one called him on, which is good to see that he's getting away with it, which is I like the studs up mark kick.
Speaker 1: I've got studs on on my quad right now.
Speaker 3: You can see that because you're normally the step ladder out there. But yeah, there was another good moment from this game where Ben Cousins was wearing the full West Coast kit. He's looking at Ripping Nick running around out there playing in the past Eagles V's Sons and Daughter's curtain raiser. So it's always good to see, you know, Ben's road to recovery. He's had a lot of rough years, but good to see him bouncing back.
Speaker 2: And doing some media recently. Smith.
Speaker 4: It just it's an instant throwback. He looks so young out there and.
Speaker 2: Trim Australians just absolutely love him.
Speaker 1: I never saw him in the flash whenever he played, but he's one of those kind of legends as far as a football player that people really just look back on.
Speaker 3: Finally, that midfield cock ker jud Cousins. Please all right, let's jump into the absolute. Let's get it over with the absolute car crash that was Collingwood versus Saint Kilda. I did say that last week wasn't great, I feel, although we had some nice words from Fly saying that there were elements of Collingwood's game and that this as far as a game to watch if you're a Collingwood fan It wasn't fun because it was mixed with the element of a lot of umpire decisions, a lot of one way umpire decisions, not saying whether they were correct or incorrect, because I looked at the game and I just said, I couldn't pick a lot of Collingwood players that played, you know, a great game. That was the way that I called it, That was the way that I saw it. How was it out there? What are you seeing from these are you are you starting to turn it around? Do you see elements of your game coming through? How was Saint Kilda? Everyone kind of you can't downplay what they've done, what they did last year. They've proved that they're a consistent, high pressure team, and it seems like you were under pressure.
Speaker 4: A lot of the night.
Speaker 1: The pressure is really good on the night. I think a lot of people forget there were top eight last year. I don't know why, but yeah, they played really well on the weekend. It was credit to them. We weren't probably as clean as we'd like to be some of the fundamental aspects, but I think there was like signs of us being able to play well. We went on a little bit of a run for a short period there, and that was kind of you know, that was kind of showing signs of what we were a lot of last year, you know, being able to go on these runs and finish our games and stuff like that. So yeah, it wasn't that. It wasn't the result we wanted obviously, but I think there was aspects of the games. You know, we'll sit there and we'll review that. We're going to it and say, you know, how are we able to execute whenever we were going well, what was going on and what was what it changed and be able to try to you know, extend that out and be a longer period throughout the game. So it's yeah, it's a tough pill to swallowing three, but that's the that's the situation we're in and we look forward to Brisbane.
Speaker 3: There's been some comments made by Russ Lyne talked about it, Luke Hodge talked about it. Respected people in the game that Collingwood to a degree. When you're when you're the premiership team, you know, you're always the team getting chased down. Does it seem like teams have kind of figured out your game style and have figured out how to kind of try to shut it down.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, whenever you win a Grand Final, I mean I look at kind of previous years and other teams that I've won it. You definitely look at the game plan, the game style. I mean, you look back to Richmond and their dynasty. Whenever the dynasty, but there are three premierships that they wont.
Speaker 2: Dynasty is at three three or four? It's three three, okay, Yeah, Well the dominants we'll say dominance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, guys, dominance. You look at that, and then I think, you know, the way the game was played was really changed when that they're winning it. So you do look at the top kind of teams and take a few kind of you know, leaves out of their book and and try to see if you can emulate that in your own game plan and change things up to see kind of if it would it will work work well with what you're doing. So I'm sure that people over the off season have looked at what we've done, looked at the way we've structured up and everything else. And you know, I've taken a few ideas from that, and you know, it's the thing we consistently get better. Why people are always going to be chasing the people at the top, and you know, it's just a sign that we need to keep being better at what we're doing. And you can that you know, it's it's a bit of an understanding whenever you lose a few games that you know, this is something you can't you can't slack on. You got to try to keep getting better every single day. We keep saying out at the club and we want to make sure that that's a priority of ours no matter what the situation is. We walk in there and we don't ride the roller coaster of the wins and the losses every single week. You know, we want to make sure that we go in we have a purpose for training, a purpose of what we're doing and what we want to get better on and be able to execute it.
Speaker 3: And when you're not winning, it's easy, especially when you're the premier is people start trying to pick holes in it and pick pick holes in players games. Now, there's been a lot of talk about the older players at the club. You're one of them, but you haven't heard a lot of Mason Cox's names out there in the media. Just runs they got it out there. Scott Pendlebury fearless leader. Scott Pendlebury, you know, almost four hundred game player, absolutely legend coming under fire saying you know, his time might be coming to an end.
Speaker 4: But is this something that's just.
Speaker 3: The disrespect at a bloke that's pretty much done everything you can do. And he would be the last guy that I would point out to go, oh, you had a he had a light off season or anything to the like, because I've never met a more professional man in my entire life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's the most consummate professional I've ever met in my life. And this is the thing, right, It's like, if you want to headline, who do you go straight to? People have a name that will create kind of clicks and create reads and all this kind of stuff, and you go, Okay, these are the people we're probably going to target this week. And that's that's just the cycle of media, right, Why you get brought out?
Speaker 2: What do you mean is that why you didn't get brought good enough?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That's probably actually, but I think like you come to realize, I'm sure pendle has been through this before, Like you come to realize that there's not much you can do about that, that that kind is going to happened out on the adder whoever it is, made it him or you know, someone else on the team, whoever it may be, the media is going to take those shots of people, and like, at the end of the day, you know, we just can control what we can control. And I think the biggest thing is whenever those things happen, it kind of almost makes us come back together even more to say, look, we're going to support this person whatever's happening.
Speaker 2: And I think that's just one of those things. Older you get, the more you realize, and then.
Speaker 1: Probably less it affects you sometimes where you just say, look like, I've been through this before.
Speaker 2: I know how it works. You know, they can hate you one week and love you the next week, and that's just how it is, and it just it almost kind of is is easier, I guess the older and the more experience you have with it to understand exactly how you know the environment of media works in Australia.
Speaker 3: Now, where were you when Jack Higgins kicked his goal?
Speaker 2: I was cooked.
Speaker 1: I think I was in the four line rolling back and I saw him out in the car park and I thought maybe he had left his keys or something and went back to the car to make sure they're there, and then he came back in and somehow the umpire put two pistols out and I was kind of confused what happened, But yes, and then of course it gets Goal of the Year, which is the second time Jack Higgins has gotten a Goal of the Year nomination for something that shouldn't have been a goal of the year. So, I mean, I love Jack, I'm a big fan jackings A. He's an absolute legend. But it is kind of funny and ironic that I feel like every single time he's getting a goal of the year, for some reason, it's against us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the celebration was a cracker, and the little church just as much of disbelief.
Speaker 4: Afterwards.
Speaker 3: It almost makes it better when it's like he was joking about being in the core Field car park and stuff like that, which is, you know, it's good to have a laugh. Like the result is what it is. Obviously, we'll never know. We'll never know if it was in or out. Umpires are going to make their decisions. But yeah, the throw one was a throw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we obviously know that was a throw, but.
Speaker 3: It was so crazy that you don't as you're trying to compute it, you're like, is that can you do that?
Speaker 2: Stroll it around the goal post and hit it with this? I think maybe not.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So that was the third outer bounds line ball call, which was cooled stay in, but we obviously we can't review it, even though it is a pretty pivotal moment in the game. Mate, game was still on the line at that stage, and that was pretty much the final nail in the coffin. But a line ball out of bounds call that we can't even look at it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 1: We've had plenty of chatter around our parting decisions in this podcast, Brandon, but.
Speaker 2: We'll move on. We'll move on.
Speaker 1: There's plenty of other things that happened in this game. It was Spud's game. Got got to give credits to this the people I put it together. A credible experience to have representatives from every single club there in the circle, have the lights go off, have both teams there with the umpires and have that there's words be said in the middle and the song that was kind of signing. It was a cool experience to be out there, very humbling, made you really think of the actual day and what it was about, especially with everyone around you and just that time to really take a breath and you know, really kind of us acknowledge, you know, how important it is mental health, and it was it was a cool experience. It was something like, I look at the different experience I've had an AFL you know, your ANZAC days and you freeze them in d days and all that kind of stuff. It was awesome to be part of that. A very unique situation. It was with the whole kind of event of the AFL game, but it really kind of made you think about it on the day.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but it kind of like.
Speaker 1: Hit me while I was out there in the middle of you know, just people you know they've had mental health issues and stuff like that, and just kind of makes you, I guess, come back to the forefront of how important is to make sure you check check in on your mates. We've said it on this podcast before. If you if you have anyone you think is going through a tough time or something like that, just shooting a text to them and checking it on really does mean a lot. So if you do have that person that instantly comes to mind. My advice is a cinema message, But yeah, I think being out there in the center of it just kind of it's awesome to have that on a public stance and such a big occasion to give credit to.
Speaker 3: It's something cool and special about silence in a stadium. Yeah, Like it's just the duxtaposition of like it at its actual peak of like people screaming and you've just kicked the goal, you just won a game, and then just compare that to the absolute You can hear a pin drop and we'll see it at Anzac Day for example.
Speaker 2: That's just respect.
Speaker 4: It's just amazing. Gives you shivers. I reckon. That's where we wrap it up. I reckon. It was pretty good. There was a couple of injuries that came out of it.
Speaker 3: Liam Henry high grade hamming. No one like it kind of looked like a bit of a tweak. They thought it was a tweak on the night and then it looks like he's going to be about six to eight. We will talk about Mason Wood just because it was such a tragic incident, courageous another one of those courageous acts that we see out there.
Speaker 4: On the footy field.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately flipped upside down, broke his collar, barn and knocked himself out, which was crazy to see, but you know, all the professionals out there did a really good job. You know, they don't rush these things, make sure he's safe and get him off the field.
Speaker 4: Where were you and that all?
Speaker 1: I was next to Ryan Marshall, just there, And it's one of those things like you want to like, I think, like your instant thing is like I want to help somehow, but you know, like going in there is is not the right decision because you have so many doctors and people who actually qualified.
Speaker 2: To do it.
Speaker 1: But it was, yeah, it was. Yeah, it's it's never a good thing to see now. It's like it's it's part of this game. I understand these things do happen, but seeing that to an opposition or team out of your own is never easy. Like it's always one of those things. It's this harsh, stark reminder of how much we put our bodies on the line. And unfortunately for him, he kind of came out the bad end of it. But you know, hopefully he's all right, you know, hopefully he's recovering okay and everything else. But yeah, it was, it was one of those moments, especially whenever the game stops. Everyone's kind of obviously all attentions on what happened. The replay happens again, whoever it is on television, it's it is a stark reminder of just how much we put ourselves through to be able to entertain the fans and everything else. Like, it's not a it's not an easy job as much as people think it is. And there's a lot of things that you know, you go in with all the best intentions and trying to try your heart out, but sometimes unfortunately it's you come off second.
Speaker 2: Best.
Speaker 3: Prayers up to him, he's actually had we've had him in on a podcast in this studio before Ripping bloke, and he's he told us that at one point he'd had more scans than games played. Wow, so you had over one hundred scans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd have quite a few fifty, I reckon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just yeah, it's a lot. It's a lot.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of injuries, lots of the guys in behind the scenes, a lot of people don't see. And it's not mad public for reasons obviously obvious reasons.
Speaker 4: I mentioned that I did my red plane intoor something at that time.
Speaker 2: Do you mention your Russia at Taste School.
Speaker 3: Also, I want to We've got to finish on a positive because we just went injury injury, injury, So let's finish on a positive, and we'll finish on what are you looking forward to?
Speaker 4: What's this?
Speaker 3: You'd like to drive this one? What's your I've got one this week because normally you go.
Speaker 4: First every week, and I was.
Speaker 3: This was a funny one where it was like I did full circle and ended up in a pretty positive spot.
Speaker 4: But I went to get ice cream. So I went to Messina. We went to we did.
Speaker 3: We did teppanyaki for my birthday, which was like a month ago. Finally got around to do it. I caught eight bits of egg back to back to back to back to back, stopped throwing my egg. We're gonna run out of egg, so at least I got one talent and I caught all the bowls one handed. It's got about got about ten bowls or eating all these eggs.
Speaker 4: But then I wasn't done.
Speaker 3: I wanted ice cream, so I went and got myself a nice big thing of Messina.
Speaker 4: And as I was walking home.
Speaker 3: I saw this girl. She's giving me the eyes. I was trying to give her the eyes back.
Speaker 4: But I walked.
Speaker 3: She was on the other side of this pole. So I'm holding my ice cream and I'm like trying to get around this pole. Anyway, She's looking at me, and I'm trying to look around this pole. That probably makes it creepy. Anyway, I've got my ice cream and I feel something hit. A bird ships on my head as I'm trying to look at this girl that's looking at me. Anyway, she sees the bird shit on me. Why I'm holding the ice cream. But then, for the life of me, it was so hard to be upset because I had an ice cream, so I was like, oh, well, I just rubbed it into the back of my head and then just kept going.
Speaker 2: Use it as gel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So then remember bird shits on you, it's good luck. And then did she give you her number or what?
Speaker 3: No, why would you give a guy your number that you just still got ship on by a bird unless you wanted half my ice cream half later, It was so hard to be disappointing because I still had the ice cream.
Speaker 2: What's your flavor?
Speaker 3: Sold the caramel white serpy? They know me when I walk in there, and they say do you want the regular? And I'm like, can we just pretend I'm not always in here?
Speaker 2: Just do that for me If you taste her, it's just to make me feel it.
Speaker 4: How so, what are you after? That's all I want? Not the regular? Anyway, I'm sure you did something similar.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I went to the F one over the weekend.
Speaker 1: I was very fortunate that I didn't get the call up this year, call up this year now unfortunately, so I can't get the call up every single year. But now I went to the F one epic. The race was amazing, it I did. Yeah, I saw some cars go back for sure.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: It was awesome. Max.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately he went out in the very beginning of it, which was great because he was kind of picked to automatically when so he became a bit of a competition between everyone else. Piastre was third and then Norris. They just made a decision to say Oscar dropped back one to fall out of the podium and Norris is gonna go ahead of Yees. Sorry, that was kind of deflighting obviously, you know you want the Australian to get his podium in his home country. Yeah, but I understand you did the team thing whenever it comes to that stuff. But it is bullshita.
Speaker 4: We can say whatever about one.
Speaker 2: Give Zack some fucking feedback to get up one oh man. But it was an absolute epic weekend. It was one of the best week in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: International people come from all over the world and it's just such a vibrant spot. There was four hundred and like fifty or sixty thousand people over three days. It is an absolute festival and it's a credit to the people I put it together. Pretty insane. How much goes into it behind the scenes that people don't realize, so I will say that. But I do ride my bike around there every Saturday, so I'm excited to get my bike bike route right, bike route back over there at Albert Park.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised you didn't decide to go to the Gold Coast Western Bulldogs game out in Ballarat that ran at the same time.
Speaker 2: Decided not to. I just missed it, Braidon, wouldn't believe it if.
Speaker 4: They had it given your free tickets?
Speaker 1: Yeah maybe maybe maybe maybe, But like I said, I'm glad to get the bike rout back and you have to get back into the lake run.
Speaker 3: That's not good for anyone. That's not good for anyone. Let's run this up. We're going an hour, fifteen.
Speaker 2: Or sdays all right now, everyone, thank you so much. I know you.
Speaker 1: Usually hear the preview, but the preview is going to go out later this week for the round that's coming up, so make sure you listen out for that. One of the biggest things you can do to support this part podcast that is in one tell your friends, but two hit the download link that automatically reminds you when already come out with the new podcast.
Speaker 2: So do that now whenever you get a chance.
Speaker 1: And just want to say a massive, massive thank you for being a fan of the podcast and listening in. But that is it from us of the review of round three three.
Speaker 4: You can two slide into the dams.
Speaker 3: If you're that girl, we're gonna end it on that ship head over here wants to get it and slide in from the dam.
Speaker 2: But thanks everyone for listening. We'll speak to you soon. Peace.