Speaker 1: If you regularly buy yogurt, you will know that there are literally hundreds of different varieties, which can make it almost impossible to know which are better for you, especially since the labels are so tiny you can barely see them. So today Leanne and I have got our magnifying glasses out and picked out three of our favorite varieties to share it with you. Hi, I'm Susie Burrow and O'mileanne Wood, and as two of us jay Is leading dieticians, we bring you the Nutrition Catch Product Review, a weekly chat on new products and old favorites that you can find in supermarkets. Now, Leanne, I'm not a massive yogurt eater, but let's be honest. My clients all love it, my kids love it. So there's a lot, isn't there.
Speaker 2: There's so many and I love one of the best things I love about yogurt besides the taste, because I do think it's delicious, it's filling. I actually find it one of the most filling snacks for fat loss. So yogurt's probably something that I would have, if not every day, every other day.
Speaker 1: And it is. It's proven actually on the list of most satisfying foods. That's right up there. I want to say it's in the top ten with potato, things like rolled oats, eggs, apples, oranges. It's really really known for those benefits. But of course, you know, in the past we've spoken about yogurt on the main potty where we've looked at the different types. There's Greek, there's protein, there's natural, and so what we want We've done kids before, We've done kids' flavored pouches, so we've really isolated it. We want to be very clear, this is not all yogurt. This is very specifically fruit based yogurt. So this is for people who are looking and enjoy a sweet yogurt. And if I think back to when I first studied as a dietitian back in early two thousand and this was kind of the yogurt that was out there. There was plain natural and there was sort of sweet fruit yogurt. And there's been massive transformations in yogat in general in terms of sugar content and the ranges that are available in those twenty years. And yeah, I think our listeners will really enjoy this. So I've tried to choose a few different options for different reasons, and I was just a special shout out today we get some help with the potty. We have some girls who do some great research for us and this A lot of this has been done by Bronti who works for me. It actually helped me with some yogas for an article. So I'll shout out to Bronte because she does a lot of the hard work for us going through and getting this together. And also a big shout out to Amy, who helps us a lot with our product reviews, So thanks for that. So she made it pretty a lot easier for me than getting my glasses out trying to read these labels. So I picked three from those that she sent through. And the first one, le Anne I want to talk about is the Dairy Farmers Thick and Creamy, and I've just chosen strawberry. The flavors are pretty similar when it comes to the nutritional profile, but I've just randomly chosen strawberry. Now at the time that we are recording this, they're on sale for two dollars fifty for two coals. Now they usually I believe, retail at two fifty each. Now, the thing about this Dairy Farmers, it's been around for as long as I can remember, It was actually one of the first yogurts that I really remember talking about with my clients. As I said twenty years ago, it comes in larger tubs, but there's also the individual tubs that used to be Leyan one seventy. Now I noticed there one fifty. Not by chance. Everything is like everything a little bit, it's smaller. I'll go through thereas first. So first it's milk, followed by milk solids, and then cream. As soon as we see cream, that's suggestive of not only being creamy but also high and fat. Strawberries are seven percent, which is pretty good actually for a yogurt, followed by sugar, so that is added sugar thickener which is a modified starch, natural flavors, lemon juice, concentrate, milk, minerals, natural color which I thought was interesting putting a color even to make it look a bit brighter, mineral salt. Some live yogurt cultures. Now, one of the things that's really evolved in the past few years has been this focus on gut health, digestive health, and adding different bugs to yogurts or in some there'll be naturally occurring. Now the issue, of course, is we don't know if all of them are indicative of improvements in gut health, but certainly there's a lot that are added. And these ones look very familiar to me, the types that are in this actual yogurt, but they don't specifically mark it on gut health benefits. I'm going to compare per hundred grams even one hundred mil, even though this is a slightly larger serve. So it comes in at just over one hundred calories at four hundred and seventy seven kilo dules per hundred, which translates this one hundred and fifty gram tub to just shive two hundred, so not an insignificant number of calories for a snack. It's got three point six grams of protein per hundred, and that equates to four point five which is not overly high for yogat. Now we can get high protein yogurts that can have upwards of twenty grams per serve, so certainly it's not a high protein product. It's not low in fat. It's six point three grams of fat per hundred and four point one gram saturated, so not a low fat product, not being marketed as such. I believe there's also a ninety seven percent fat free variety or used to be of this brand, and that's because, of course it is the creamy added and there's certainly a group of these yogurts which are really marketed on being thick and creamy. When you scan the ingredient list, they generally have some cream added carbohydrate in total ten point seven grams per hundred it's just ten point five grams of sugars. Now. The other thing Leland that I noticed when going through these was that there's an increasing number of yogurt brands who are really specifying whether this sugar's in the yogurt are added versus naturally occurring, which is really useful for consumers and for us in determining actually how much sugar there is that's been added compared to the naturally occurring sugar lactose which is in dairy. This has not done that for us. So this is fifteen point seven gram so just over three teaspoons per one hundred and fifty gram tub, but we can't say how much of that is added. Even though sugar is quite high in the ingredient list, not any significant amount of fiber as you would expect it's yogurt, and calcium we like in a yogurt, don't really amd because that's a really rich natural sauce. And so when we see plant based yogurts, we really like them to see you have calcium. And this has got two hundred milligrams per one hundred and fifty gram serve, so it's reasonable. Now, it tastes good. I know that if you're a yogurt lover, it's delicious. I personally don't generally recommend these full fat, creamy yogurt To me, it's more like a dessert. It's not as bad as some of the ones out there. You know, some of the ones I've been looking at have got closer to six tea spoons of sugars, which is huge for yogurt. You know, almost two breads worth of carbohydrate per serve. Now this is less than that, but still not insignificant. With three tea spoons, keeping in mind that it's recommended we have no more than five to six teaspoons of added sugar. Admittedly, this wouldn't all be added, but I would estimate at least sort of two teaspoons probably is so yeah, to me, man, it's more of a dessert than a nutritious addition in the diet. Where do you sit on these four fat, creamy yogurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And my main clientele is working with females or fat loss, so I'm all about that volume based seeding. I'd rather than eat more for less calories. So it's definitely not something I would be recommending for the bulk of my clients just because it is higher calorie. It is as they market, thick and creamy. The mouthfeel is beautiful. I have had it before, but I don't know. I'd sort of call it halfway between yoga a dessert. I do have clients who are very like, much like, I'm a hard no on you're giving me any sort of low fat dairy whatsoever. So I'm like, cool, I'll work it in. But it doesn't leave as a whole lot of wiggle room if you're having sort of one of these every single day, or a couple of times a day as well, if you're adding it onto your breakfast and you're having it with a bit of a snack as well, because it sort of is, you know, twenty thirty sometimes even forty percent depending on the brand, more calories than if you were to get sort of a lower fat variety as well. So not only is it a bit high fat, that actually adding the extra sugar, So you're kind of getting the double whammy in this one. But it is a nice product, you know, it's Aussie made. The thing I will point out that is that a lot of yogurts these days will add in live yogurt cultures to be like the natural Greek style yogurt's, like the good quality ones that actually positively impact your gut health. But unless they're really specifying how much, I just kind of glaze over it. And I had a look on the Dairy Farmer's website and I was disappointed to note that they don't really mention at all. They just say the addition of live yogurt cultures. So I really don't think that it adds any real positive, you know, clinical impact compared to the other two that we're going to mention today. Susy actually specify the amount. So I wouldn't be buying this if I was looking for something to positively add some probotics into my diet or to positively really impact my gut health. This is something that I would be purely buying ay because it's Ossie made, it's a nice it's nice tasting, it's got a great texture, or just because I really quite enjoyed this brand. I don't see there being many sort of health benefits from buying this besides the amount of calcium, which you're going to get pretty much in every yoga brand anyway, So there're are on a whole lot of I guess health reasons I would buy this, but I do admit it does taste good and there is a beautiful mouthfeel with it, So I'm sort of I don't know, five six out of ten, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree one hundred percent. But that leads on to the next one I've chosen. Now. I wanted to include a jaw in a product because Gwener is such an amazing Australian company who have been producing great quality, delicious yogurt. Whenever I put a post up on yogurt on any of my social media, people always love Gawener and I think there's a nostalgia where that it tastes good and that sort of pot set model that they've always so I wanted to include one. Now they've got a really wide range and there's sort of Greek and then there's natural pot sets. So I tried to just pick one along the same lines, which was flavored. And we take a look at the nutritionals again per hundred we're coming in again one just over one hundred calories per hundred four grams of protein, so it's not a high protein product, similar using full fat milk. Actually, I'll go to the ingredients person and come back to that. So first pastors whole milk, cream, sugar, strawberry period coming in at just three percent compared to I think seven was for the dairy Farmer's product Natural Flavor, Life, probiotic cultures, and as LeAnn said, it specifies the amount, so it's a very very clean ingredient list. And what I noticed from looking at their website is that they're really going for that whole natural feel in the brand. In general, it's been a shift. I think in the old days there used to be a lot more lower fat products. I think they're really shifted away and come back to that real natural whole yogurt. So, as I said, the total fat is eight point nine, not a low fat product similar to the dairy Farmers using again cream and whole milk, six percent saturated fat, eight point six grams of carbohydrate, eight point three grams of sugars. They're listing a servers just one hundred meal. These do come in larger pots, so I should have said from the start this is one ki low and it's retailing for seven ninety five at Coals. So they don't have the individuals as they used to have a few, but they're not as freely available. It's certainly looking at sort of larger purchases, so I guess they're targeting people who like to add a big dollop of this kind of product to their museli in the morning, and hence they're looking for that mouthfeel. It's kind of that real wholesome, earthy vibe of the brand. No, as you would expect, minimal dietary fiber. The calcium is actually quite low, which I found interestingly, and at ninety three, which is half what we found in the dairy farmer's product. And I can't even consider really why that would be the case, because if it's all dairy, there wasn't calcium added on the dairy farmers, so I'm not quite sure. The calcium is relatively low on the product. So, as I said, I wanted to highlight because it's an amazing Australian brand. They've got an incredible range. You know, certainly when I'm cooking, I'll often turned to their Greek style slash natural yogurt pots because it's a beautiful product. But and you know, if I was comparing the Dairy Farmers to this, I'd probably say this is you know, it's difficult to say. It's got slightly less sugar, but it's got a better probietic ratio. But then the strawberry puree is much lower. You know, there's pros and cons basically, but I think in terms of an ethos for a company, it's a really good brand. And you know, probably if I was being honest, I would say steer towards the planar varieties of their yogurt, so the plain natural pot set or the Greek rather than this fruit variety. But you know, it's a they're nice Australian products in general.
Speaker 2: I'm just having to look at the Dairy Farmer's label. I think the reason that calcium is higher is because I have milk and then milk solids, and they also add in milk minerals, which that's why I'm assuming calcium is higher versus the Yanna label. I do like the Aner brand, and I think it's worth noting that it is a traditional Greek yogurt. We've talked about on the podcast before that Greek style is not Greek yogurt, so they actually specify there's more than one billion probotics in this in this yogurt here, so we've got the Acidophilus and the Bifferbacterum and the lacto bacillus as well, So it's got the good quality probotics which we know are researched and studied. But what we also do know about probotics is that we actually want a specific strain for a specific medical condition and a specific amount. So although an addition of probotics is great, particularly from food based, if we were looking more towards a supplement for a particular medical condition, we'd probably want a little bit more of a really specific strain. So I think that this is great in terms of a whole food product. I would definitely be using something like this if I wanted a traditional Greek yogurt. As you said, it does have a very clean ingredient list. However, clean doesn't mean healthy, like they've got the addition of cream and the addition of sugar, So I personally wouldn't be recommending this. I definitely do recommend your own as a brand, but not this one for my clients, because, as I said ninety, i'd say eight percent of my clients they're aiming for fat loss, and I'm not going to recommend a yogat that has additions of cream and additions of sugar, not for something that's eaten on a regular basis. And most of my clients, if they choose to consume dereit, they'll be having something like a yoga daily. So I really like it for a particular type of person, and I think you really, you know, if you're not really a yogic person and you love that mouthfeel, I think this is definitely a good one. But like you, I'd be going for something a little bit lower in sugar. But I do like the addition of the probotics in there, and I do like that as an Aussie company as well.
Speaker 1: I think you make a really good point, Leanne in saying that just because it looks incredibly healthy in terms of the branding and the company. You're right, it's still got cream and sugar added. It doesn't change that fact. But what I will say, like you, there is some fantastic products in their range, and in particular I love their kids pouches which don't contain any added sugars and they do specify that on the label. So hopefully what our yogurt manufacturers will hear from podcasts like this is we would love to see the relative amount of added versus naturally occurring sugars. That will really help us in our recommendations. And as I said, I love the brand, I love the pot set natural. I use it all the time and cooking, but yeah, I wouldn't go for this sort of sweetened one probably the only time I would perhaps use itly, add if if I had a client who was loving smoothies and we're using that to sort of get the sweetness without adding too much extra added sugar with a bit of yogurt, perhaps, but you know I wouldn't you know, it wouldn't be my general go to in this sort of category of a fruit based snack type yogurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if I wanted like a sweet dessert, I would probably use something like a sweetened yogurt as a dessert option. I think that would be really lovely. But I just will make a point with the sugars. If you're then adding this with a sweetened musically and some honey or and some maple syrup on top, the addition of sugar to yogat then becomes a little bit of an issue versus if this is what you're using with some plain rolled oats and you know, some healthy fats like nuts and some seeds and that's it. But I don't really have a problem with the addition of sugar in it. So I think it really is a balance of what else you're doing in the day should be dependent on the type of yogurt that you choose and if it has additional sugars or not.
Speaker 1: True good point, all right, Well, the final one I've chosen ly am is the Activa low fat berries yogurt. Now this again comes in a larger tub as well, but this comes in a four pack four times one hundred and twenty five grams, and that was retailing for three dollars fifty so you know, at a reasonable price point for people. So these are the smaller tubs. So we look at the ingredients, whole milk seven point four percent fruit, which is, as we've seen, compared to the yauner products, reasonably high milk solids, and you're absolutely right, that's why the calcium would be higher. So that's a good pickup. There is a thickener in there, flavor stabilizes, and certainly that's what y'aonna market on the fact that their products don't contain a number of those thickness and additives compared to some of the yogurts, natural flavor, some lactic acid cultures and at the end some black carrot and black currant concentrates, so that's to give it the color as well, rather than using an actual color, some extra calcium adam and some stevia, which is interesting because that is a sweetener, a natural sweetener. So here the way they're achieving a product that doesn't contain any added sugar, they're using fruit in reasonably highmounts and then some stevia to sweeten it up naturally. So it's a really interesting formulation and from memory, this was one of the first sweet yogurts on the market that we're using that mix of a bit more fruit and a sweetener, but a natural one, because back in the eighties and nineties we had quite a lot of diet yogurts which use artificial sweetness, and there's still a few out there actually, So per serve per one hundred or I'll do one hundred gram, so it's shy of one hundred calories. So what's that coming in? About eighty eighty calories in one hundred grams or just about one hundred calories per tub. In one hundred and twenty five serve. You're getting six point one grams of protein, which is quite high, or four point nine in the one hundred. Total fat three points even saturated fat two point five. So that's why they're achieving relatively low fat by using not as much. Well, they're not adding cream to it. Total carbohydrate is relatively low six point three per hundred, seven point nine per one fifty tub, and five point four sugars per hundred and six point eight. Now, as I said, keep in mind, this is a product that markets on no added sugar, So these are the naturally occurring sugars coming from the milk and also the fruit and the calcium is big for a small tubbly an. It's two hundred milligrams because they have added a little bit in and concentrated those milk solids up. So it's one of my go tos if I'm honest. I like the serving size for people who like fruit yogurt and in particularly and for my clients who don't like protein yogurts, because protein yogat is a different category in itself, and we will review that in future episodes. But it's a very specific taste and it's really high in protein. Like I'm talking sixteen twenty grams. That's a lot in a snack food, for example. So I really I like this product. I use it. I like the serving stile. My feedback is it tastes good even though it's got some sweetness through it, and it really again markets on having some evidence behind the gut health related benefits for people who have irritable bout. I think it's true tubs that serves for days related to reduce bloating and feelings of abdominal discomfort, which is quite a lot, but still that the calories are quite low, so it fits I guess if you had it for breakfast or in a smoothie and then as a snack. But yeah, I like it. I recommend it. I think it's a good brand, and there's some evidence behind it. When it comes to the digestive health benefits I do too.
Speaker 2: On full discloser, I'd say probably about a year ago, I did work with Activy on Instagram around doing a few posts to support gut health months. I'm not working with them anymore, but I have previously. But I really do like this brand. I've used it, I've had it. I recommend it for my clients well before I work with them, and you know I still do now, and I'll tell you why. For a few reasons.
Speaker 1: I like that the.
Speaker 2: Tubs of portion size. As you said, there is actually some good quality research around two tubes a day reducing what they call digestive discomfort, so bloating sluggishness, and that feel. It adds lactase in there, so they don't market it as low lactose, but a lot of my clients who actually have a little bit of it, like a sensitive tummy, can actually tolerate it because of the addition of the lactase enzyme. I do like that it's a natural sweetener base with the stevia, and I do like that they actually have fortified with a little bit more calcium, because, as we know, a lot of you know, listeners and our clients don't actually drink a lot of milk or like milk in their coffees. A lot of people are going almond milk, oat milks very trendy lately, so we're not getting a whole lot of calcium in through our milks. So I think a little bit extra in the addition of cheese and yoga each day is actually really important, particularly you know, as we get a little bit older as well, or women you know, going through sort of pregnancy and breastfeeding as well. So I like it for many reasons, and I think it tastes really nice as well. Admittedly I wouldn't say it has the same mouth feel as the Dairy Farmers. That's definitely my pick today if you're looking for a rich and creamy yogurt, but this one, for me ticks pretty much all of the boxes. And in terms of the probotics, I've just looked up on the website and it has four point four billion probotics per serve, so really something that we're marketing as a probotic yogurt, not just like the first one. The dairy farmers Ones who said addition of live cultures, the middle one was a true Greek yogurt with over one billion, and the Activia is a true probotic with over four point four billion per small tub. So the goal is to get two tubs a day for digestive ease, and so you know, you're getting close to nine billion active bacteria per day. So that, you know, is my pick. They are a little bit more expensive, but they do go on sal quite regularly, so I sort of snapped two tubs, you know, two four packs up at the time when they do go on sale. I'm a big fan of this brand. I really do like it, and I think it tastes quite good as well. And there's a few different flavors, like I know, there's a mango one, there's a plain vanilla one as well from memory, so I think that, you know, I think for me, it ticks a lot of boxes. Put it that way.
Speaker 1: I'm very handy. You had our gut health research ready to go.
Speaker 2: I'm all over it.
Speaker 1: It was very handy. She's not just a pretty face, is she? All right? Well, we hope that that has made your trip down the yogat Isle a little bit easier. I do promise in future episodes will come to protein and Greek yoga eventually, but we've got a long list and we love to get your suggestions and recommendations for products for us to review, so feel free to keep in touch for our socials. We're on Facebook and also Instagram. We also have our recent live event up on our website, the nutritioncouch dot com for purchase if you're interested in gut health, that loss and intron resistance. And we will see you on Sunday morning, bright and early for our regular weekly drop. Thanks for listening, catch you guys next week.