Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload.
Speaker 2: The podcast last week They're Life.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload.
Speaker 3: I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Tim and Leanne from goggle Box Australia, which returned this week, now exclusively on Network ten. I have a love for this show, which many Australians do as well. It is such an unusual concept and the magic behind why this show is so good is still quite a mystery to many people. I mean, it shouldn't work, the idea of watching people watching television, but somewhere in between every day Australian voices sharing their opinions with one another in their homes, and the humor I guess, and the way in which they relate to each other about what is on television is somewhat genius. Tim will talk about coming out on television and.
Speaker 1: What he thought of one of the most.
Speaker 3: Ridiculous tabloid stories ever written about him. Then Leanne will share what she gets asked most on the street and how she avoids revealing too many secrets about.
Speaker 1: How the show show is made.
Speaker 3: I will also discuss the dynamics in their sibling relationship and if they've ever had a fight that has compromised filming. You will get everything from why goggle Box personalities are not considered celebrities, what their mum thinks of some of their oversharing on the show, and I will also find out a shocking secret about a program that they don't watch. I'm going to give you a little clue here, and that is it's a show that they're in. There is actually so much to talk about, with so many inside revelations, as you guys know that I like to find. So guys, sit back and relax as we unpack the wonderful world of goggle Box Australia, which is back on Thursday night now exclusively on Network ten. Oh wow, Benjamin, so weird when you do these sorts of interviews with people that you've watched on television.
Speaker 1: For as long as I've now watched.
Speaker 3: You both on television. It's like being a stalker and being allowed to have a conversation with the person who talking.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 4: I mean you you probably understand that better than anyone else. Yeah, no, you know, being on Big Brother and being the winner. So I think if anyone understands our position.
Speaker 2: It's probably you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: But look, I mean I was on TV twelve years ago, and I have to say, Tim, like, when you came out on Google Box, I felt like that was another turn of the key for the community of LGBTI people like, it's still something so brave to do on national television, and I think about how far we've come, which is great, but I still think that can be very nerve wracking to open up your personal life like that and share it with the world.
Speaker 2: Oh, for me, I share everything. My life is an open book.
Speaker 4: I had nothing to hide, and I've always been transparent on all my social accounts.
Speaker 2: So for me, this is just I suppose the natural next progression. Yeah, you are a bit of a chronic oversharer.
Speaker 4: I am, Like I was talking to Lee and Keith is also on Google Box. Yeah, just a few days ago, and I was recently diagnosed with spinal and net trauma, and I was just going to keep that silent, and then Lisa's Tim, you share everything on social media.
Speaker 2: Why are you not sharing your pain? I said.
Speaker 4: People don't want to hear about the pain you're going through. They just want to know what I'm eating. They want to know how chicken feet taste. Like, they don't want to know that you know that I've got spinal arthritis.
Speaker 3: I don't know, because like google Box is a weird show because there is a certain amount of ownership. I think that the Australian community who love this show have over all of you, and I kind of feel like that the policy with what you share on that show is as long as it's real, as long as it's authentic.
Speaker 1: And it's true to you.
Speaker 3: Are going to want to know, and in some ways they feel entitled to know as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well a lot of people Leanna and I bump into.
Speaker 2: I remember once.
Speaker 4: I was out of Fishmongers and the person behind the counter.
Speaker 2: After says, wait a second, aren't you tim Off? Well google Box.
Speaker 4: Firstly, I had to correct them there and they said, oh my god, I love you and you're girlfriend.
Speaker 2: I just have to roll my eyes. I think incests that obviously you don't watch it because.
Speaker 4: I am camped as anything and I'm literally salivating over every guy.
Speaker 2: That we watch.
Speaker 3: Do you know what's so funny that like people will come up and talk to you about that kind of stuff. It's and you're in the zeitgeist. You're in their mind in some way. And I actually believe it's less that he's lying. He probably does watch the show. But I always found that people would come up to me and talk. Let's say, you are fantastic on the Biggest Loser, and you're like, I wasn't on that show. I wondered tim whether or not people are talking, because all of a sudden they're quite nervous to be then talking to you in person, like their brain curdles in some way.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, it's funny.
Speaker 4: My my husband, it's still weird after a year, after eight months calling him my husband, it's still so weird. But he doesn't like attention, so whenever we're out together, he makes.
Speaker 2: Me walk ahead of him.
Speaker 5: He said.
Speaker 4: The number of people who they just turn around and they look with.
Speaker 2: A quiz bog on their face, thinking I know you from.
Speaker 4: Somewhere, And funnily enough, we're coming out of Circuit, which is this gay club.
Speaker 1: I'm there, Oh, yes, of course.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I practically lived in Molly's and Circuit and I.
Speaker 4: Was coming out and as you can imagine, all these drunk twinks at the front, and they were screaming similar to you.
Speaker 2: And what was it? Biggest Loser? I go, oh my god, you should have won master Ship. Oh I forget that all the time.
Speaker 3: And you're like, hey, I can't even cook, so like, I really don't even know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I'm an I'm not a cooker.
Speaker 5: Oh you're a cook. You're an amazing cook. We nearly were on a reality a cooking show.
Speaker 3: Which, Len, what are you talking about? You need to tell me that what reality cooking show?
Speaker 5: Well offered a spot on which one was it?
Speaker 4: Tim?
Speaker 2: I think it's called Family Food Fight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right, So we were nearly You nearly had have seen.
Speaker 4: Us on that.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, look, I mean these sorts of things I think are going to start happening more and more because as we progress into the twenty first season of this show, now I think you guys are stopping being just everyday people on the couch. You kind of, and this might sound uncomfortable, you guys are kind of celebrities, now.
Speaker 5: Ah, no, wet there ourself celebrities not in the slightest.
Speaker 3: More people would know you too than people that have been on like one show, someone who's been on Master Chef Once or even Big Brother, you know what I mean, Like you guys have been on television for so long now that we have kind of transcended into you guys being probably more recognizable than most.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: I suppose there is that element, But I think for us, because we don't come from media or acting background, we spare income. Are like Leanne is a small business owner. I am, you know, a marketing manager for LGBT chow already. You know, we have no grand dreams of making it immedia.
Speaker 2: So for us, we are just authentically ourselves.
Speaker 4: Because we don't have a brand, we are who we are. And I think being that, you know, a voice of a certain demographic of Australia, I think maybe people connect with that and you know, they come into our lounge every week and for them it's like the most intimates of times, you know, times when you spend with your family and your loved ones and we're sharing that together.
Speaker 5: I think that's an important point to make because I don't think the show would be as relatable if we were, you know, celebrity type.
Speaker 3: And for me, with you and Tim in lots of ways, actually the entire caster to goggle Box, this show wouldn't work if you guys were thirsty as fuck, is what I'm going to say. You two were sitting on the couch with endorsement deals in the back pocket, wanting to get them out. If you guys considered yourself like Kardashians, I think Australia would have turned off years ago. Because the casting is brilliant on this show. Everyone that sits on that couch feels less like a Kardashian and more like your best friend, you know, the person actly you want to share things with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, Leanne.
Speaker 3: I want to know what people ask you, Like, we've heard enough from Tim now Leanne, what do people come up and ask you about the most? Like? Is there a common question that someone that you find it? You know, comes up time and time again.
Speaker 5: The one that I get a lot is actually how long do we sit there on the couch watching TV? And you know, that's one that we can't really answer, but everybody wants to know about it. It's like everybody wants a peek behind the curtain. But if you got that peak, it would almost ruin it for you. But you kind of have to just like, you know, brush it off and try and talk about something else, and then they ask about Tim being my boyfriend, and.
Speaker 1: And then it's back to being awkward.
Speaker 3: It's interesting though, because, like, you know, I've got a very close friend that was on the show for a very long time, and you know, I watched her negotiation, the way in which she was being asked questions. She was very clever at being able to not answer questions. And I don't even think she really even I mean, of course I do a podcast and I have a big mouth, so I don't even think she really talk to me about how much time. So I just assume that the reason why you're not allowed to tell us how much time you're watching television is because it's almost like torture. You know that you're actually locked in a basement for about you know, seventy percent of your life.
Speaker 5: Seventy percent of my life probably already is watching TV.
Speaker 2: It's any different.
Speaker 3: It's like what says, if I wasn't talking about television to people on a podcast, I'd be in a dark room talking to myself.
Speaker 1: So something better.
Speaker 4: Well, Leanna and I spent so much time together and whether it's on the couch with golibox or just by ourselves, we are literally watching.
Speaker 2: TV go to the movies.
Speaker 4: Together, and none of our family and friends actually want to spend time with us because we're the type we'll actually talk through a movie and we'd actually be yelling at the screen even in a cinema when something happens.
Speaker 2: So why will pick this.
Speaker 3: Band?
Speaker 2: Mate?
Speaker 3: I think I'm starting to put together as to why you get carts on show like this. They've literally captured you, pulled you out of your universe and are not making you do anything too different to.
Speaker 1: What you were already doing, not at all.
Speaker 3: I guess the one question I've always wanted to know is what happens if you have had a fight? What happens if there has been something that has unsettled the two of you? Do you go into autopilot when you sit on the couch or do sometimes when you maybe watch the show back, you see some animosity bleed into you know what we see?
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, we have a really good one out.
Speaker 2: Oh you know exactly what I'm going to talk about exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thing with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and we just lost our ship at each other about it because I was daunchly on their side and Tim was completely the opposite and we actually got into a screaming match on the couch.
Speaker 1: It never is we disappointed wise very disappointed.
Speaker 2: We have to ask for a time out. We both went into my bedroom.
Speaker 4: We sat down and we had a conversation with each other.
Speaker 3: Wow, I had conversation with what Leanne did not describe it as she's not describing it as that.
Speaker 1: Good to know.
Speaker 4: We work through it, and like any couple, even though we're not a couple.
Speaker 2: We never leave that exact, we never leave the house or Leanne. So just so you know, LeAnn doesn't live.
Speaker 4: With me, she lives ten minutes drive away, but Leanne, Leanne and I natal leave each other when there's any topic or conversation or arguments. We always make sure everything is smooth over.
Speaker 2: Before Leanne leaves the house.
Speaker 4: We I think half an hour later we talked it through and we were back.
Speaker 2: On the couch, eating and drinking and having good time.
Speaker 1: So you can push through that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: I mean, it kind of comes naturally to I think that that's one of the joys in the relationship, and the dynamic between the two of you as well, that makes it quite fascinating. Because we all have, like all majority of people have siblings and negotiate sibling relationships and family dynamics, and I think that's the fly on the wall kind of element that highlights I mean, it's kind of where Gogglebox sings is where we see those sort of dynamics that we can relate to. And it's good that you guys, aren't you know, you haven't had a falling out two years ago and then in new idea saying I won't speak to her ever again, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Oh, look, I'm sure some tabloid will probably make up something down the line, because you know that happens quite a few daily mail articles that come out about us in the past, and it's like, where did they even get this from?
Speaker 3: Where we unpacked? We break a myth because you know what, I've had things written about me. The best one ever was that I was paying for my partner of fifteen years to have plastic surgery.
Speaker 1: To look like me.
Speaker 3: Some going to find the Candelabra type story of you know, LIBERACEI and I was like, well that is not true. I mean, I'd probably give him some plastic surgery to not look like me.
Speaker 1: The other way.
Speaker 4: Well, I think this was going a few years back, and I don't know where this media got this information from, but apparently I was transitioning.
Speaker 2: Oh, that I grown my hair and that I put weight on because of hormones.
Speaker 4: I was taking that I was getting bigger, that I was getting bigger breasts than Leanne, which at the moment, just between you and I and everyone listening to this podcast, I do have I think a bigger chestel area than Leanne because I have chunked up the Christmas.
Speaker 2: Period we both have. I'll give you a run for your money, Tim for the third time.
Speaker 4: Yet No, So they just made the assumption that I was transitioning because that was the thing to do, and they wanted to break the news to.
Speaker 2: The world that that Tim was going to be to my mar Oh for you is that they know they I would have.
Speaker 4: Loved it if they gave me a name because I've been wanting a drag name for years and I just didn't.
Speaker 2: Know what to call myself. I probably want to be Cambar a Plucky. That's what my brain name would have been because at the first street we lived in and the name on my first pet.
Speaker 3: Duck amazing It's just so bizarre the lengths that people will go to to speculate about people that we see on television because people assume that they know things that they don't, you know, they're looking out for little signs of you know, little tidbits that they can turn into something that's usually quite bonkers. You know. Yeah, I'm glad that neither of you are offended. Leanne I want to know from you, what are the shows that when they say to you, because they come around every year like a survivor or are Married at First Sight or something comes around every year? Is there a show that you hate to watch?
Speaker 5: To be honest, And I'm going to cop a lot of flak for this because I know it is a favorite of everybody's, but it's the vibe.
Speaker 3: It's actually favorite plan we're not speaking, we're runt or time.
Speaker 4: Every year we.
Speaker 5: Watch it and every year I'm like, oh, could this get any more boring? It's not up my alley, I know, and everybody loves everyone loves it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a weird one for me, because like I thought you were going to get out masks because I feel like mass is the one that you can be quite polarizing, but then people still watch where with a survivor. I find it so addictive, Like I can't turn.
Speaker 1: Away from that one. Really, Yes, and I think we were friends anyway.
Speaker 5: I'm a much bigger fan of I'm celebrity, and for me, that's got more of the vibe that I like.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a little less.
Speaker 3: Serious, I suppose, I think, so you know what, I feel like we've completely missed the mark with this one that we haven't done it in twenty one seasons. But don't you think we should be goggle Box in google Box? I mean it's a little inception.
Speaker 5: But yeah, yeah, we've wanted to do it for years.
Speaker 2: We actually did.
Speaker 5: Do a goggle Box watch She's got goggle Box celebrity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is good, but like it doesn't count. It doesn't count because I want you to talk about the other families because that's how sinister I am.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, like dog Box moments.
Speaker 3: So like when Lee Keith would be like, Angie can't you know she's not on the show anymore, but she was on the Bachelorette or you know, she's been in quite a few shows. They'd be like, Angie can't oh and they'd say something about her, and it was so juicy because it's like family talking about family. Because I can assume that the community that's behind the scenes, that you guys would all have a relationship to some to some extent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we all do because this is a very unique situation. And out of that, I think we've got this unbreakable bond. Everyone who's ever sat on a goggle Box couch, well, it's an experience that only we will ever understand. So out of that we form unbreakable friendships. And for me, the best thing I've ever gotten out of it is that I've got a new bestie out of Lee.
Speaker 2: From Lee and Keith, we talk.
Speaker 4: About everything and we gossip and you know where those two old ladies getting our purple hair rins, just chatting and gossiping about everyone.
Speaker 2: So you know, we.
Speaker 4: Are very close and the friendships there will last forever.
Speaker 3: Is it hard to watch families come and go? Leean sometimes get sad when people, I mean, Sarah Marie's coming back this year, which is great, but she took some time out. You know, we saw the boys go and come back. You know that was was lovely to see. Do you get stressed when you hear that a family's not returning for a series.
Speaker 5: Oh, I always get stressed. And then you've got to deal with the introduction of.
Speaker 2: A new family.
Speaker 5: Very often, when when one leaves, they normally replaced them with someone new, and then it's like you're cutting off your left arm or something, because it is like losing a part of that family.
Speaker 3: I think you guys came in as well, didn't you come in like the year after Tom and Wayne, Like I think it was Tom, Yes, And that must have been really strange for the two of you because they were so celebrated and then we're all rumoring for years, you know, everyone thought they were going to replace them with sort of an identical version, you know, and then it was actually very clever to see the two of you because you guys were so I remember watching your first episode and thinking, you guys were fresh, and that's exciting. To keep a show on TV for as long as this, you do have to keep things fresh and you do have to keep things exciting. But you both would understand the pressure of joining something, you know.
Speaker 2: Especially like you said, following.
Speaker 4: Such big characters as Tom and Wayne, who are two beautiful, beautiful people, but.
Speaker 2: Not just them.
Speaker 4: We also came in to replace Angie and Evie, so the four of them left at the same time. So everyone had this expectation that we're going to be you know, these like them and.
Speaker 2: Over the top and that, and that's just not us. And here's the little thing.
Speaker 4: Leanne and I don't actually watch goggle Box.
Speaker 2: We haven't watched a full episode.
Speaker 3: No, we don't have statistic television personalities argue, I.
Speaker 4: Can't watch ourselves and tyically we have no idea what makes the cuts every week. The only time I know something's wrong is when on on Thursday morning. So this was when goggle Box was still air on the Lifestyle channel. But I'd get a call from Lee, say, Tim, you said this yesterday. Expect to call from your mom to say, oh, yeah, it always happened.
Speaker 1: Does your mom call, like, what does she say?
Speaker 4: Does she get upsets her eyes us?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, okay, she knows. I mean she raised you, so, like you know, if anyone's going to know that you guys are a hot mess, it's going to be her.
Speaker 2: So I could.
Speaker 3: Talk to the two of you all day and in some ways, honestly, at some point I think I will, I'll track you down. I'll start heading to Molly's to take my store.
Speaker 1: We do to a new level.
Speaker 2: We do.
Speaker 3: But before you go, I have to ask you. The show is now going to be on ten, So it's a bit of a bit of a shift and some of those sort of rumors around there. There's a few articles saying it's getting a soft reboot. Is the show any different? Like, are we going to sing anything different now that it is an exclusive Network ten product?
Speaker 4: We don't actually know the specifics now that it's exclusive ten production.
Speaker 2: We just know our bit. Do you know that Leanne and I.
Speaker 4: Will be on the couch, We'll be eating the same snacks, and we're going to be enjoying Bozzy TV like every other series in the past.
Speaker 2: For us, there won't be any change.
Speaker 3: Okay, So it's not like, you know, the downsized in some way. I used to have fifty producers and now there's just one old man sitting in the corner videotaping it.
Speaker 4: That would be mere well.
Speaker 3: Also, the last question I ask everybody whojoins the pot is what is something from behind the scenes. And I know that we're in a difficult space here because we've sort of skirted around the fact that you don't really get to tell people things that are behind the scenes, so I kind of prepared something. How do you both go about picking the clothes that you wear?
Speaker 1: Like? Is that strength?
Speaker 3: I feel like I'd be like every every time I'd get there, I'd be like, do I buy something new from so prey? I'm kidding you know, Like I wonder how much thought goes into all of that? And do you have to get to it approved? You have to send it a photo of what you're wearing to make sure it's okay.
Speaker 4: I can't speak for Leanne, but for me, it's whatever I can fit into. Too.
Speaker 3: I'm just wear Peter Alexander pajamas, like some of Peter Alexander pajamas twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: A day because that's all I can fit into. It's basically a.
Speaker 2: House so comfy.
Speaker 4: I've got every frenchy and dashed Peter Alexander pj's out there.
Speaker 2: I love that bjs.
Speaker 4: I would be in a moomoo like if I could, I'd be wearing moving.
Speaker 2: On the couch. But for me, it's just whatever I can fit into.
Speaker 4: I know that I have some very stripy clothes which I can't wear because it creates a throbing effect on TV. So that's the only thing that we're aware of.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, Leanne do crochet and you outfit every episode like what do you do when you wear?
Speaker 2: No see? For me, it's largely based on what I've eaten.
Speaker 5: And what you might not know is that whenever I go over to Tim's house to film, it feeds me.
Speaker 1: He feeds me.
Speaker 2: It's like he's my mum or something.
Speaker 5: It's the best thing ever. And that's how I know that he can cook, because he's always cooking me, you know, and it's amazing. But he always cooks like this massive meal. So I have to pick my outfit based on how much of my gut.
Speaker 2: You'll see, they don't not him sped.
Speaker 1: Me that day.
Speaker 3: I just want to say that in twenty years time, I hope you guys are still on the show, because I'm just picturing these two two people wearing a mumoo on the count walking at the TV and I'm here for that, guys, like I'm really here for it.
Speaker 1: Like that. Actually that actually excites me.
Speaker 3: Congratulations on this new series, coming back and being back on the show. I can't wait to keep falling in love with you along with the rest of Australia. And yeah, I'll look forward to touching back in twenty years time. We'll do the pot again.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Benjamin, thank you so much for having us on your podcast.
Speaker 1: I forgot it was amazing.
Speaker 3: I was like, I didn't know what to expect, but I mean I could hear him your laugh in the backgrounds.
Speaker 1: It sounds similar to maybe a small donkey.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure, but yes, I'd be like, it's a donkey.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the best way to end a podcast.
Speaker 3: Look after yourself, guys, enjoy chatting to the media about the new season, and yeah, I'll be watching.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, no worries.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for being so generous with your time as well. That's so nice.
Speaker 2: Oh no, nothing at all. We've really enjoyed this.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, okay, Laura, I'll let you get on with your lives. I'm actually in my od. Pigging up is just to let you know, and it's two thirty guys,