Speaker 1: Hey, I've got a bit of a heavier conversation for you guys today, and it's something that I think every parent. It would be every parent's worst nightmare to find out or to see your child choking on something. And I think there would be so many people who've listening to this who have maybe had a scare or have had that fear happened to them.
Speaker 2: But this story, I mean picture this.
Speaker 1: Imagine walking through a park and seeing a family sitting down having a picnic, eating their lunch, and then realizing that there's this bit of commotion and there's a little baby there. That baby has eaten some sausage and has started to choke out in public and.
Speaker 2: Is not breathing. So this interest it's horrifying.
Speaker 1: And I say this because as a mum, I've got two kids, I don't think I know what to do. I wouldn't know what to do in that situation, Like genuinely, I don't know how I would react. And the normal reaction is panic, fear, absolute fear. So right, well, this happened. I'm so Nurse Hidi Young, thank god she was there at the time and she was the one who saw this happening.
Speaker 2: We actually have Hidie on the line. Hi, do you welcome to the pick up a Heidi?
Speaker 3: Hi, Hi, nice to meet or can you.
Speaker 1: Just let us know, like what happened that day when you were there and that little little child was choking.
Speaker 2: It was a little girl, a little boy, It was a little.
Speaker 1: Girl, a little girl, and what was happening and how were you able to step in at that time?
Speaker 3: So we were at a barbecue in a park in Sydney with some friends and actually this person was also at the same barbecue, but we just didn't know them. And just to my left, I could see the mum just sort of stood up and started banging the little girl on the back quite hard and quite quickly, but kind of not with any strategy. And I could see the baby was quite young, so I think.
Speaker 4: Aout six months old.
Speaker 3: So I just grabbed her and it looked like she had a complete blockage, and I just started straight away with the back flaps between the shoulder blades, slightly headed down, like the way we do it. And you actually shouldn't do it too quick, like you need to give them a second in between each one.
Speaker 4: To see if they can bring it up.
Speaker 3: And I did the five.
Speaker 4: That flap, which is what you do. And then I was going to turn her over and start the next phase, which is horrible, which someone wants to have to do it, which is the chest thrust. Just as I want to turn her around, she just sort of massive vomit, which was great to bring it up, and then she's so screaming.
Speaker 3: You know, people actually.
Speaker 1: Know, Just so people actually know when you're saying like we do, the backslabs actually talk us through it, so people right now know if that happens, exactly what you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So you put the baby over your lap, face down, put your hands around their sort of chin as if when you're burping, and you on baby sort of support their head so slightly face down, letting gravity do its thing. Use the heel of your hand between their shoulder blades, and you do a really firm.
Speaker 4: Back flow or backflap, and then you stop for.
Speaker 3: A second, turn the head to see if they've brought it up, because sometimes they bring up in their mouths. If it's not come up, after a few seconds, another one turn the head check. Then you do five in a row, and after the five, if they've still not brought anything up and they're still struggling or they're making a noise in their breathing. You turn them over and you start the chessu and that's two fingers or one hand press short shark between the nipples.
Speaker 4: Down about a third of the depth of the chest, and.
Speaker 3: You again give it a couple of seconds between each one to see if they could clear the airway. After the first round of backs up from chester, you should call the ambulance. Honestly, if there's I would just call the ambulance straight away. Yeah, And if at any point they fall unconscious because of a complete blockage, you start CPR.
Speaker 1: You started your business after this, so you started the next kids CPR and allergy. I can only imagine that an experience like that is life changing for everyone who's involved. How important do you think it is as parents that this is something that we're doing.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's super important. It just blows my mind that people get. You know, there's so much out there to about giving birth, you know, like the build up of months and months of education to do you know that takes two days if you're unlucky, but you know, CPR is something that you'd need ongoing, and there's just no like it should be part of the adat or classes. I think it should just be as standards because you don't need it unless you really need it, and it's right on top of you. And all the the first DAID certificate courses you know, but the ones that people have to have work, none of them are focused on babies. I mean I we grew them as well for workplaces, and none of them are focused on babies.
Speaker 4: And that's why I.
Speaker 3: Started the baby first dage side of things where it's completely baby and child focused.
Speaker 5: I think if you have the time, go and have a look at what the next kids, CPR and Allergy team are doing. Such a pleasure having you on the show.
Speaker 2: Hi, do you think you've ever been here? All right?
Speaker 5: Change your pace? Next on the show Do a Leeper? Would you ever think that she would create the next iconic drink? The combination of drink that dou A Leeper has concocted and drinks every day has the world shocked. It is the number one trending thing on TikTok at the moment, and I am going to get a recipe for you girls.
Speaker 2: We're going to try it here next life the show is den Ba