Speaker 1: Welcome to How I Work, a show about the tactics used by the world's most successful people to get so much out of their day.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, doctor Amantha Imber.
Speaker 1: I'm an organizational psychologist, the founder of behavioral science consultancy Inventium, and I'm obsessed with finding ways to optimize my work day. Before I get into today's show, I wanted to do a little shout out to another podcast that I have recently launched called How to Date.
Speaker 2: So this is a show.
Speaker 1: Where with my closest girlfriend Monique, we speak to lots of experts all around the world to work out how to master the messy, complex, bizarre world of dating when you did not think that you'd be dating again in your life. And on this week's show, if you are listening to this How I Work episode on Thursday when it comes out, we release our interview episodes of How to Date on Fridays, and this week we talked to Georgie Wolf, who is a professional escort, about.
Speaker 2: Her tips for dating.
Speaker 1: So if you haven't already checked it out, just search for How to Date wherever you listen to your podcasts now on today's show, Today's show is a little bit different. It's actually an interview that I did for a podcast called Meta with Peter Wells, and Meta is a podcast all about podcasts, hence the name Meta. So Peter invited me to be on the show to talk all about How I Work. So I thought that listeners you would enjoy this chat that I had with Peter. I talk all about why and how I started How I Work over two years ago now, and we geek out on lots of productivity tricks and nacs and software and things like that. So I hope you enjoy this episode. And on that note, let's head to myself and Peter.
Speaker 3: This has Meta, a podcast about podcasts. Today's guest is Amantha Imbert, who is the host of the number one productivity podcast in the store at the moment, How I Work. Let's talk about your show. I would imagine I find I am completely struggling myself and have been more this year in kind of getting things done and staying on top of where I'm supposed to be and also kind of work life balance. Do you think that this is one of the reasons why your show is kind of taking off as it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's definitely.
Speaker 1: I mean it's kind of it's grown since its inception, So it's been running now for nearly two and a half years, and I think that definitely, with the shift to working from home, people have been thrown into this environment where they've had to reset their habits and their routines and the way they approach their work. So I know that the podcast has definitely grown because of that, but I feel like it's been like steady growth from when I launched a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: No, that makes total sense to me, because it's so often when I'm doing these interviews, it gets pitched. The shows I'm talking about get pitched to me as like this overnight success, and then I look back and there's a good three or four years of groundwork that has gone into that overnight success.
Speaker 1: So not an overnight success, I wish.
Speaker 3: So tell me about the journey then, So, okay, you started a couple of years ago. What were the first couple of episodes, like do you still cring? Oh? Sorry, do you cringe if you listen to them now?
Speaker 2: Or oh speeds so long since I've listened to them.
Speaker 1: But you know what, I don't think I would cringe simply because the very first interview I did is still one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: So in terms of your question around, well, how did.
Speaker 1: It come about? So I've been wanting to start a podcast for years. I've been taught talking about starting a podcast for years, and it probably took years for me to firstly go, Okay, I just need to do it, and secondly, yeah, this is a topic that I could get really excited about for a long long time.
Speaker 2: So that kind of all came together.
Speaker 1: And the other thing that proved really good in terms of timing is that I was attending my first TED conference in Vancouver, so TED Proper if you like, and that proved to be a really great way to secure some initial guests that were I guess quite high profile and probably guessed that I couldn't have got straight off the bat had it not been for the fact that I was able to meet them in person and have a chat to them about the podcast. So the very first interview I did was with one of one of my academic heroes, Adam Grant, who is an organizational psychologist and the host of work Life and a professor at Wharton.
Speaker 2: And so when I look back at my.
Speaker 1: Early interviews, gosh, it's kind of dependent on the guests as to whether I cringe or not, because I love having Adam on the show.
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying you should. I was just wondering. I showed episodes are recorded three weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I.
Speaker 1: Think you know, when you're just listening back to your voice every week, several times a week, you just become desensitized. So the kind of the cringe worthy factor is I think I'm just desensitized.
Speaker 2: To it, is what I was saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think I'm there yet, but that's why I'm doing a daily show to really get it out of my systo quickly so I can see. Adam Grant was one of your first guests. Can you remember any of his advice?
Speaker 2: A few that have stuck with me.
Speaker 1: One is the power of batching meetings, so doing meetings back to back. So this is something that Adam does in his own life. And there was some interesting research that showed that if you've got a meeting coming up in your diary, like in the next hour or two, you'll actually be twenty two percent less productive.
Speaker 2: And I heard that and I'm like, that.
Speaker 1: Totally makes sense because there's not enough time to get into flow. You're kind of, you know, fluffing around doing little bits and pieces, making sure that you don't miss the start time of the next meeting. And so definitely batching meetings was something that I have tried to do since.
Speaker 4: Then.
Speaker 1: Something else I got, and I think this was from my interview with Adam, although I've heard it a handful of times now, is to finish the day on a downhill slope. So this is where you finish basically mid tasks. So let's just say, you know, we both do writing with you know, some of the various hats that we both rare, and so rather than say finishing a draft of an article, you would actually finish mid sentence or mid paragraph, which means that when you start work the next day, it's a lot easier to just get into the swing of things and not procrastinate because you've got an easy start because essentially you've parked on a downhill slope.
Speaker 2: So there are a couple of things that have stuck with me that's.
Speaker 3: Really really fascinating, especially like the batch meeting idea, because yeah, I absolutely find that in myself, I can spend an entire day pondering the question I'm about to ask someone like you, Whereas so sometimes I wish I could just, you know, wake just before the episode is ready to be recorded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if only.
Speaker 3: But what are some of those I mean, the term life hack is so overused, But what are some of those other kind of tips that have stayed with you from some of you guests?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: So I got some really interesting ones from this guy called Brian Scootemore, who's the co founder and CEO of one eight hundred Got Junk, amongst other companies. So it's about like a half billion dollar set of companies that he runs. Something that he does is very much about if he's on holiday or on a break, he's on a break from work and he's not going to dip into his email or social media or anything like that, and to actually do that as opposed to being sucked in, because we all know how easy it is to be sucked in by those technologies and digital distractions.
Speaker 2: He gets his assistant to change his.
Speaker 1: Password for his email and video accounts, so he literally cannot get in.
Speaker 2: He can't even break in, and that stuck with me.
Speaker 1: I personally love that something else that I mean, so gosh, so many things stick with me. Someone that I was so excited to interview was Cal Newport, who is a computer science professor at Georgetown and also the author of several best selling books, including Deep Work, which has had a profound impact on.
Speaker 2: How I work.
Speaker 1: And Cal talked about how he would he has different types of deep work that he does. So, for example, there's writing work, there's solving computer science problems kind of work, as a couple of examples, And he'll have different physical environments.
Speaker 2: That he will associate with that deep work.
Speaker 1: So for example, he in his home study, he got this desk custom made that's designed to look like the desks that he had when he was a student at university, and that's where he does his writing deep work. Whereas if he's trying to yeah, if he's trying to work through let's say a computer science problem or theorem, I don't know if I've used the right language there, he will walk. So he will go for a waltz of around his campus or between his home and his campus. And I thought that's really interesting thinking about the different categories of deep focused work that you have to do and then linking that to a particular physical environment. And that makes sense psychologically because then you get into that flow state more quickly because your associations to that physical environment and that kind of work.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, I've found that when this whole pandemic twenty twenty thing happened, my desk was about five centimeters from the end of my bed, and it was, funnily enough, not the most you know, productive work environment that I could have. I've been able to thankfully move things around now and now I've got a kind of dedicated spot just to the desk, and I really try to make a point of when I finally get to the end of the day of getting up from the desk and not touching it again, because you know, I have far too many distractions. I'm on Twitter and Slack and everything else all the time, and so I find that like the only way I can ever relax is if I stand up and put the giant computer away and walk over to the couch. And yeah, that It's funny how how these little so much of of your environment will will play into the way you behave. This is terrible. I'm sitting here talking to you about productivity and an app is yelling at me in the background, and I have to find out which ones I can silence it. But yeah, that is that is such the world we live in now. Like, what does your approach say to notifications on your phone? Do you do you have any notifications on the phone?
Speaker 2: A really more?
Speaker 1: I how I control the notifications is I use do not disturb mode. So sometimes I find after work notifications can be useful, or when I'm doing shallow work, let's say, so work that is non cognitively demanding, I don't mind being interrupted by the phone ringing or a text message coming through. So more what I will do, and I mostly tend to control it from my Apple Watch actually is just using do not disturb mode, So I find that that is simpler as opposed to manually going through and turning off notifications for everything. So there might be three or four apps that I do have notifications switched on from. But I kind of like having a master control, which is what I think about do not disturb mode on my Apple Watch as being so typically I mean do not disturb mode until I've done a couple of deep work sprints, so that might be two lots of sixty to ninety minutes sprints in the morning kind of like really knocking over the most important stuff that I need to get done that day. And then I go a little bit easier on myself and I let notifications come in if I'm doing something where I won't interrupt, like a flow state if I'm being interrupted.
Speaker 3: Did you find the Apple Watch was one of those moments though, where you suddenly needed to decide what was allowed to beep? I found for me, especially like there's one thing about a phone kind of beeping in your pocket that you can ignore, but when your wrist is actually lighting up, that really shows just how many applications out there are begging for our attention at any time.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know, yeah, if yeah, I'm very strict on what I let into the Apple Watch because otherwise I find it just drives me nuts. And I've had an Apple Watch for so long, Like I don't even remember what it's like to just have your phone and you know, either have that on silence or ringing as the way that you control what interrupts you.
Speaker 2: Because I've had the watch for so long.
Speaker 1: And like the probably the things that I use most frequently on the watch, aside from obviously telling the time, is that I use the pedometer to see how many steps I've done, so I may listly use it as a fitness app, and I also use the timer, and I actually use the time of function.
Speaker 2: And I know that I could use the time of function on the iPhone.
Speaker 1: But I've, i guess, turned it into a bit of a habit where if I've got a task to do, and I know that I could get lost in the time ask, but I also know that I've got something coming up, and let's say thirty minutes or sixty minutes, quite often I'll set the timer just so I don't lose myself and then be late for the thing that I've got coming up. So I find that quite a useful hack that I think the watch is really handy for.
Speaker 3: One of the issues I've found when I've chatted to friends, We're all in this moment of trying to figure out how to get things done in this brand new environment at home, and a bunch of my friends have made the joke that they spend so much time looking and evaluating productivity apps that they just don't have time to get things done. So, are there are there one or two apps out there that you just absolutely love to death? That you could.
Speaker 4: Recommend one hundred percent there are and yes I have fallen down that trap myself, but luckily guests on the show, I've got no shortage of software our.
Speaker 2: Recommendation, so look my go to but for email.
Speaker 1: In terms of email clients, I love Superhuman. I imagine that might be one that you've come across.
Speaker 2: There's a huge waiting list, but it's great.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it taught me through because I've seen I saw the waiting list and then I saw a couple of stories about it being a little bit I don't know, it felt like a bit of a privacy intrusion to the people who are emailing you, and so I never kind of followed up on that. So why do you love Superhuman?
Speaker 1: I love They say that it's the fastest email experience, and it is.
Speaker 2: It's super fast.
Speaker 1: I think once you know your way around all the shortcuts, I find that I can be really quick with email. And it's got all the functionality like reminding me if someone hasn't replied, letting me know if someone's actually received the email obviously, like having canned responses and things like that, and just the interface is really clean.
Speaker 2: So I've never been a fan.
Speaker 1: Of Gmail because there's just too much going on, even with the different views and settings that you can do. I used to be crazy about Newton until they closed down, but then they reopened and I found that Superhuman is a really similar user interface to Newton. Sorry if I'm just like getting too geek you, I'm just like a lot of really there.
Speaker 3: But anyway, that these apps.
Speaker 2: And now what.
Speaker 1: And I also like Superhuman because I can just close it down.
Speaker 2: It's not in my browser.
Speaker 1: Obviously I can close down Gmail, but I just like the idea of closing down software completely to be out of email.
Speaker 2: So I do love Superhuman.
Speaker 1: I recently came across another email client called Tempo, which actually helps you batch email.
Speaker 2: So the default setting on Tempo.
Speaker 1: I haven't used it yet because I am quite a Superhuman nut. The default setting is that it lets you check email twice a day and that's it, which I think is a really brave move because email programs are trying to get you using it as often as possible.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's part of the model.
Speaker 1: So I'm kind of I'm keen to experiment with Tempo, maybe if I can remove myself from Superhuman.
Speaker 2: So that's superhuman for calendar.
Speaker 3: Actually, I'll stop you there because I find that really fascinated. I've got a made of mine who only checks email I think two times a day or one time a day, and you know, look, he's worth a lot more than I am. And I think that you know, that's a status thing. You only get to very good rules about email when you're kind of the boss. Like no one else gets away with that kind of crap.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I beg to differ certainly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at Inventium, if you email someone on the team, chances there's probably a fifty percent chance that if you email them in the morning, because we all test our chronotype, so most of us are larkish or do our best work in the morning, and therefore it means that most of us, if we're not delivering work to a client or running a work shop or a keynote or something like that, we're probably in deep work mode. And so therefore we've probably got an out of office auto responder on that says, don't expect an email from me because I'm doing deep work. Yes, yes, So that's that's our team and it's something that we put in well, we recommend that clients do it in the training programs that we run, and I think a lot of them do take our advice.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I reckon it's possible, even if you're not the boss, you can steal a bat emails. I mean, you know, people have this false sense of idea of what constitutes urgent or what an emergency is like if someone is not going to die, I don't think it's an emergency.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And what about Slack? I mean, because do you use slack in your.
Speaker 2: Own No, we've tried slack. We don't use slack.
Speaker 1: I know that some people in the team will use just the Google chat function because everyone else uses.
Speaker 2: I think I'm the only one that us a superhuman. So we tried Slack.
Speaker 1: We didn't find that it really added much to the way that we work. Something I heard interestingly. I had a guest on the show from GitLab whose name was Darren Murf and he's the head of remote at git Lab. It was one of my favorite interviews from this year, and he talked about that at git lab they use Slack, but it's only for social chit chat. So it's almost the water cooler of git Lab because they're a remote first company, and I thought that's really interesting, just having Slack for social interactions. So interestingly, we have a whatts App group at Inventium, so we're all on this WhatsApp group, which I guess is kind of like a Slack without channels, and that's where we post our water cooler chit chat, particularly now that we've been working remote since March.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we couldn't get Slacked to stick at Inventium.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just feels like, you know, it's one of those funny things of like we all we can all see that email is and we all get too much email and it's too hard to get through the day. And I just love that. Silicon Valley's response to that was, let's make something that's always on and always yelling at you, and people will just naturally assume that you're always in front of it and will always respond.
Speaker 1: And I just remembered it would be remiss of me not to mention Hey dot com in terms of email, because for my personal email, I have now switched over to Hay dot com and I was quite excited to get the email account amount at Hey dot com and feel free to email me there. Although I might block you so Hay dot Com. I love it. It's from the creators of base camp, and those guys are just amazing.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you're a fan as well.
Speaker 1: And it rethinks the workflow of email, which I'm really loving. And for the first time ever, my personal email inbox is so clean.
Speaker 3: Oh that sounds sounds like a dream. I'm going to have to try all of these again. But I'm just so worried about investing so much time into these apps that are supposed to make me more productive. Like I feel like maybe it's just worth trying to be productive with the stuff I already know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And look, I think that there's something to that, because I like, if I've got a tech entrepreneur on the show, I'll always ask for software and hardware recommendations, and every now and then I'll come across someone who's like, I just don't invest time in that, you know, I just do the basics, which I find quite refreshing. But I think you just need to find good go to people who you trust so that you're not demoing countless pieces of software and hardware, but just kind of find you trusted people and just go Okay, if they think it's good. I reckon, I'll invest the time in changing my workflow or changing my habits around this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like, I don't have heaps of software that I recommend, but the software that I use I love and I double down on and my workflow changes positively as a result.
Speaker 3: Fantastic. Well you have, so we've covered email quite deeply. Now can you just give me your favorites to do list app and your favorite calendar or the favorite way to work a calendar.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So my favorite calendar software is Woven, And funnily enough, I got.
Speaker 1: The Superhuman and the Woven recommendations from Tim Kendall, who is on my show How I Work I want to say a year and a half ago something like that. And interestingly, he's in the social Dilemma. So he used to be the president of Pinterest and then he's now CEO of Moment, which is an app that helps you have healthier phone habits, and Woven uses artificial intelligence to help make scheduling easier. I think the feature that I like best in Woven is that you can have templates for events that you're commonly scheduling. So, for example, podcast interviews is something that I would commonly schedule and there are certain things that need to be in the invite, and so I've got a template for that, and it just makes it a whole lot easier to schedule guests rather than fiddling around with things. And sure I could use calendar or something like that. And there are a few other meetings like that, you know, where there might be six or seven people that attend that are outside of Inventium, So I don't have a group that I could send that to if you like. And yeah, just I really like that particular feature of Woven, So I do like that. In terms of to do list software, I was a wonder List fan until that got bought, and so now I use things because I'm a Mac user and I like the different levels of kind of projects, tasks and sub tasks and checklists. I feel like it's just it works for me in terms of how I think about these things. And I also use it to store lists as well as being a to do list software. So for example, you know books that I want to read, rather than having say a page in ever note, I would have a list in things that's books to read or TV shows to check out, or podcasts to check out. So I'll have my to do list for deep and shallow work tasks and a few kind of project lists, and then I'll have list lists of things that I'm going to do one day.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I found that's the only way I kind of get things done these days, is the second thought pops into my head. I have to put it in whatever to do list app I'm using, or I know that like three weeks from now, I'll remember that, you know, it'll pop back into my head of like, oh, that's what you were supposed to have done. And it just really feels like this is one of the biggest struggles that we all have these days. Yeah, trying to capture the task that you need to do so that you can find the time to actually plan for them.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 1: I just think you just need to remove stuff from your head wherever possible. Not yours personally, but just people in general need to get stuff out of their head and onto paper or digital paper.
Speaker 3: And so you're working from home, how have you found what are some things you've done to enable that kind of clean break at the end of the day to really separate work in life.
Speaker 2: I would say I have not done that successfully.
Speaker 1: I do have a clean start to the day, so I've got a pretty good morning rhythm, which does it varies a little bit depending on whether my daughter's with me. So I've got my six and a half year old daughter, Frankie with me half the time, so mornings are quite different.
Speaker 2: When she's with me versus not. But typically morning.
Speaker 1: Start we exercise of some kind and then when I don't have Frankie, I will pretty soon get into work sort of fairly early. If I've got Frankie, then there's school related routines that go with that. But at the end of the day, yeah, look, there are things that I've tried that if I stuck to them religiously, they would be really good. So something that we teach a lot of our clients, and I know some of the teams still do this at Inventium is we call it like a shutting down your day ritual, where an ideal way to finish the work day, and this is based on research that we've done where it significantly increases productivity and well being is simply write two sentences. So the first sentence is today I made progress on dot dot dot, and you think about like you essentially reflect on what are the things where you made meaningful progress?
Speaker 2: And why this is effective.
Speaker 1: Firstly, we often don't stop and reflect, but we also know from research from Harvard professor Theresa A. Marble A is that making progress on things that matter is the single biggest contributor to us feeling engaged and motivated at work. So stands to reason that if every day we can think about what did I make meaningful progress on, We're going to feel a whole lot more excited about our work. Then the second thing that we recommend people do, and that when I'm having a good day I will do this is I will finish the sentence out Tomorrow will be a great day if if I do X, Y or Z. So typically what I will always do is I will time box my day the day before so I'll have a plan for the following day. And by time boxing, I mean essentially making meetings with myself around what are the key tasks or projects that I want to work on and what do I want to accomplish and approximately how long do I think that will take me so I've got a clear idea of what's.
Speaker 2: Coming the next day.
Speaker 1: The evening before I will sometimes not switch off very well, and look, one of the things that I feel makes it a little bit murky is well a couple of things. Firstly, I love my work, and so work doesn't feel like work.
Speaker 2: So for example, if I'm.
Speaker 1: Editing a podcast episode at seven o'clock at night, many would argue that his work.
Speaker 2: For me, that's really interesting.
Speaker 1: So I'm just as happy doing that as I am reading a book.
Speaker 2: Or binge watching something on Netflix.
Speaker 1: And likewise, the other thing that's further complicated things if I talk about switching off and having boundaries is that I recently launched a second podcast called how to Date, and that's a show where myself and my closest girlfriend talk about we talk to different experts about how to get better at dating when you didn't think you'd be dating again having been out of my marriage for about a year. And that was created as a non work project. But you could argue that I'm doing work when I'm doing that. So I find it really hard to answer how do I set boundaries, because really I've got no idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that rings so true. Everyone I know in a creative role finds there is no work life balance like there are work life blurs that happen, but not not balance in any kind of clean way. One of the things you just send there that I really loved because it was the positivity of the language used is it will be a great day if because I think so much of how people plan their day, plan their schedule is based on guilt, you know, like I need to get this done, I've got this, I've got this deadline looming over me, and if I don't get this done, I'm just going to be a wreck. Where it's you've totally flipped that around and said no, no, no, of course you have a due. But if you do that, that's incredible. I don't know. There was something about that is really lovely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny. It reminds me.
Speaker 1: I recently had Toria Pit on the show and which is an episode I'm releasing in a couple of days actually, and we were talking about self talk on the interview and she said something I'd also heard this from Dan Pink as well, and it just reminded me in terms of what you say about most people, like think about your scheduling things out of guilt, and the self talk is oh I have to do that, or even with something like exercise. H I have to exercise, or I have to go to the gym, or maybe not the gym because you'll probably die of COVID.
Speaker 2: But you know, I have to do home gym workout.
Speaker 1: And rather than saying I have to, just simply changing that to I get to I get to exercise, I get to interview such and such for my podcast, I get to finish writing this article.
Speaker 2: And it completely changes your mindset.
Speaker 1: And I just think it's such a such a cool hack, and for me, it was really brought to life because I do use it. I try to work out five mornings a week in my home gym, and there are some warnings where I'm like, I really can't be bothered, but I remembered this tip and I'm like, I get to exercise, I get to exercise, and sort of, you know, mildly change things to me. But then I got an injury and I was kind of not at full capacity for a couple of weeks, and you know, the physio felt like my home away from home. And then once I was injury free, it really sunk it. It's like, oh, I get to exercise, my neck is better. So I think that that can be a useful way to flip things and get rid of that guild.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, it's funny. I never thought I would miss swimming pools as much as I am right now in Melbourne. I just cannot wait to take my daughter to swimming lessons again. It's going to be the greatest down in the world. One of the thing I've heard from people in your field of expertise, a common issue is that people don't People always underestimate the time it takes them to do tasks, and that's why they end up feeling so guilty that, oh I didn't I only got through this much today. When if they actually took the time to record how long it takes to do a task, that will they see very quickly that they've actually been pretty productive that day.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is. It is common, the whole planning fallacy, and I think the more now. Remember I heard this tip from cal Newport, who I mentioned earlier, and he says, the more we get into the habit of time boxing, so actually essentially scheduling meetings with ourselves to do the work and particularly the deep work that we need to do, the better we get at estimating how long something will take us. So certainly with practice you get better at it. But then Darren Murph, who I also mentioned before, talked about his philosophy around not being one hundred percent scheduled, because if you're one hundred percent scheduled, nothing can go wrong. If it does, there's stress, there's no room for spontaneity, there's no room for creativity. So how Darren thinks about his diary is that he'll never be one hundred percent scheduled. And that was definitely a recent tip that stuck with me and has really changed how I think about my diary because previously I would, even if it was just timeboxing meetings with myself as opposed to actual meetings involving other people, I would be one hundred percent booked in terms of how I would plan out my day. But now I always make sure that I've got an hour or two that is completely unscheduled, and it completely changes things. It makes days so much less stressful, and it means that if I do want to spend a bit more time on a task, or if something is taking longer than I'm anticipated, I'm not feeling stressed or anxious about it. I can simply just go a bit longer, and I can kind of like moving Tetris blocks around in my diary, just kind of move things down in my electronic diary. So I find those things useful when I think about, Yes, the guilt that can come from being overscheduled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think if you've got I've met a couple of people in my life who have the full you know, seven am to nine pm, every moment, every minute planned out. But they're people who have Like the one I really remembered was the VC of a university that I used to work for, and they needed that because they were constantly everywhere. But they had three people who looked after their calendar. If you've only got one person looking after your calendar, you're right, you don't have that ability to just make changes on the fly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: And I mean, look, there is a counter argument to that, which I also think is a good one. And I remember this comes from near El who read the book Indistractable and before that wrote the book Cooked, both very popular in tech circles and outside of tech circle.
Speaker 2: And in Indistractable he.
Speaker 1: Talks about the benefits of literally scheduling what you are doing from the minute you wake up to the minute you go to bed, with the theory being how can you be distracted from something if you weren't consciously doing something in the first place.
Speaker 2: And I kind of think.
Speaker 1: The opposite argument is really interesting to make as well, and just being really conscious and deliberate as to how you are spending your time, so I can see it both ways.
Speaker 2: Personally, I'm more of.
Speaker 1: The not scheduling, not being scheduled out one hundred percent of the time.
Speaker 2: I'm finding that really works for me.
Speaker 3: And so you said that people can actually book you, to book your company to come and walk their teams through some of these some of these are improvements and goals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So we've got a couple of programs.
Speaker 1: We've got a program for individuals and groups of individuals working within organizations, and we've had I think like several thousand people go through it now where we put them through a five week course. It's all delivered virtually, of course, and we get huge improvements in productivity.
Speaker 2: So we typically get sort.
Speaker 1: Of a twenty to twenty five percent improvement in productivity over a five week period. But what's really interesting, I reckon is that we also measure things like job satisfaction and engagement and just how good people are feeling. And we typically get improvements of between sort of twenty five to thirty percent improvement in how satisfied people are with their job. But the thing is, we're not changing anything about their job. We're simply changing how are they approach tasks day to day, And simply through changing the way you work, you can have a huge impact on how.
Speaker 2: Much enjoyment you get from your work.
Speaker 1: And I think that that was a really surprising finding for me, and it's something that we've replicated time and time again, but I just think it's it's it's really worth really rethinking how you approach your work, you know, particularly during the work from home era, where often we just kind of fall into patterns and sometimes they're good and sometimes they're, you know, not that good.
Speaker 3: That makes total sense. I mean that no one wants to be bored at their job, but no one wants to feel constantly overwhelmed either, And I feel that so many of the people I've known over my career have kind of oscillated between those two ends of the spectrum, and it's just not a healthy way to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, definitely one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for your time. And where can people find your work?
Speaker 1: Well, they can search for how I Work wherever they listen to podcasts. They can also search for how to date if you are single and looking for advice on that front. And in terms of the work that I do, you can simply search for inventim, which is invent with an ium on the end, and you can even type in dot com door and you will find my company's site.
Speaker 2: That is it for today's show.
Speaker 1: If you enjoyed this episodes, you might want to check out metter me Eta, which you can search for wherever you listen to your podcasts.
Speaker 2: And if you are enjoying How I Work, why not.
Speaker 1: Leave a review in Apple Podcasts or whever you listen to this too. You can simply leave a star rating, or maybe you can write some lovely words. I read every single review that comes through, and thank you to the hundreds of people that have left reviews. You are all completely awesome in my books. So that is it for today's show, and I'll see you next time.