Speaker 1: Good Day. This is Peter Hellia.
Speaker 2: Welcome to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet The Movie Podcast, where I check to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now.
Speaker 1: And today's guests comedian Andy.
Speaker 3: Lee ever Dance with the Devil on the veil light. I'm walking here. I'm walking ahead.
Speaker 4: Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world.
Speaker 1: She walks in the mine. But what happen right now?
Speaker 5: You ain't seen nothing here.
Speaker 2: Today's guest, Andy Lee, is one half of Australia's most successful radio duos in the history of the wireless in this country. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but quite simply it's not.
Speaker 1: Hamish and Andy are undoubtedly the biggest.
Speaker 2: Radio act to have ever graced our airwaves, redefining what radio can mean and what it can do. As Australian listeners would know, radio is just one part of what the boys do. They branched out into television, initially with their appearances on Rogue Live, then Real Stories, their Caravan of Courage Adventures, Gap Year, and more recently Hami Shenandy's True Story, which is currently been remade for the US by the great Ed Helms, who, after producing the Anti Donna series for Netflix, is first becoming the rece Witherspoon for Australian TV comedy. I've known Andy for about a decade and a half. Quite early on in their careers, HAMI Shenandy asked me for some advice, just don't become cup.
Speaker 1: If I'd known them.
Speaker 2: A little longer back then, or even a little better, I would have known that that was never going to happen. And he has always been incredibly grounded, as friendly as they come, generous to a fault, wise fun funny and I'm bloody stoke to have him as my guest today.
Speaker 6: What an intro? Hey, Yeah, you know what, when you guys came in to do Rove Live Radio and Hamish and I were just starting out, we would time our hallway lingering. We would time our hallway lingering so we could bump into We might be able to bump into Bedell.
Speaker 1: We might be able to bumpy.
Speaker 6: And then you were great. We'd have that chat and we'd try we'd probably have prepared material or something to try and impress the funny guy, which is what people do all the time where they're just wanting to make a good impression. And then probably three weeks into Hallway lingering, it was becoming close with a better mates or you know, at least acquaintances. So yeah, but it was certainly a timed event for us. I do remember, like doc back to the future, we needed to be there at the exact right time time to connect the cable.
Speaker 2: I do remember when I was doing radio with Jude Lucy and a similar thing would happen, you know, like we would go to the corridor and you guys would would come out, would pass your office on the way there. And this is like years after that, so we were like, really, you know, well acquainted by this stage.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure you Jude as well.
Speaker 2: But Jude, jud As Lucy does have a she's there's a reverence around Jude, like I've seen, like most people get a little bit nervous around Jude and to really get to know her, to be honest, and you guys will pop out. And I remember Hamis in particularly being like such a ball event, like a massive, like real ball of energy around around Jude. And I got to the one point where Jude, We're coming down because we were on a different level. We're going down to the studio and Jude said, I'm just going to go this way.
Speaker 1: I said, just today, I just can't do it. I can't. I'm a bit tired and I can't do the role playing and the scenes.
Speaker 2: And with Amy Snandy today, maybe so true because you're so.
Speaker 6: Eager to impress people and Hamishes, you know, bull at a gate like that.
Speaker 2: Well it's funny because I'm sure I may have mentioned this to you, but I take a little bit of I mean, it would have all happened eventually, obviously, but I take a little bit of credit for Haim getting on radio because I was filling in for Matt Tilley on the Matt and Tracy Show, which Hamish was working behind the scenes.
Speaker 6: He was the joke writer for Tracy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I used to call him Jewels because I thought he was jews Lie and I filled him for a couple of days. I was shooting Skit House at the time, and Mel who was producing at the time, said can.
Speaker 1: You come in?
Speaker 2: Can you do Thursday as well? Matt's still sick, and I said I can't. We go a really early call for the Skit House and they're talking.
Speaker 1: About who they get it. I said, why do you get when do you get the Jewels?
Speaker 7: Guy?
Speaker 1: It's really funny.
Speaker 2: I think By this time I may, I may, I didn't know his name was Hamish. I said that guy's really fun should just put in mind. It's one day.
Speaker 1: Put in mind.
Speaker 2: And then I was never asked back the film, but Jilly again. I remember that day. I woke up at six to listen to the whole show right to see how when he did so well.
Speaker 1: I remember listening.
Speaker 2: I remember listening on the way to Skit House to him because I got the message that he was going to fill in, and I was like, yeah, I'm not going back.
Speaker 6: And it's the funny if anything for me is all the jokes that Tracy Barton was ignoring because Habish would write this stuff, and you know their styles are very different, as you could agree, so he'd be spending all this time writing for Tracy and she wouldn't really often use much.
Speaker 2: It is quite a strange thing when I think about it now. You're completely absolutely right. You would never pair those two ups.
Speaker 6: No, and in this style. So to hear Haims say, do you know doing this stuff that he's been working on, you get to kind of refine the craft of it, just writing jokes no one's using for. But yeah, he did an amazing job. It was pretty cool, But yeah, it was. It was great doing those Hallway Lingers before we ended up being on the same TV shows together. Now the podcast The Pinnacle, The Pinnacle.
Speaker 1: Here we are, so Andy, tell us, tell us about yourself?
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, yeah, my name's Andy Lee, and my three favorite films are Braveheart, What Will You.
Speaker 7: Do Without Freedom?
Speaker 6: Will Your Fight? The Castle Where Go?
Speaker 1: And t'barney doo.
Speaker 6: An eternal sunshine of a spotless mind. But up until now, well till this week, I had never seen There Will Be Blood.
Speaker 2: Yes, if Calica's Milkshake brought all the boys to the Yard, then Daniel Plane views milkshake sends them scurrying in a thousand different directions. In Poor Thomas Anderson's two thousand and seven classic There Will Be Blood, It's the beginning of the twentieth century and America is about to transition. Daniel day Lewis plays oil prospector soon to be tycoon Daniel Plainview in a role that will nab him his second Oscar. He won a third since for Lincoln the first being for my left foot. We first find Plainview in a hole in the ground, soon literally hitting rock bottom, before crawling his way again literally back up to becoming one of the richest oil men in America. After receiving a hot tip, Plainview with his prop adopted son HW heads west to buy oil land for quail prices from the Sunday family, much to the chagrin of aspiring pastor Eli played by poor Dano, thus beginning Daniel Playview's journey into discovery tragedy the seat Creed ambition that pits capitalism against religion, somewhat based on Upton Sinclair's nineteen twenty seven book Oil, which I'm sure we've all read. This is film making at its highest order. There will be oil, there will be death, there will be two Pordano's, and yes, there will be blood. Andy Lee, Did Daniel day Lewis's Milkshake bring you into the yard?
Speaker 6: It?
Speaker 1: Did?
Speaker 6: You know? It had big hype though, like because it won all the Oscars and it was nominated for many many awards. So I suppose I was set for something slightly different. But it's pretty sparse, would you agree?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 6: It doesn't It doesn't kind of lean on too many entertainment tropes to like no Tricks. So it's which I loved. Yeah, I love that, but the way it's scored as well.
Speaker 1: Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead really.
Speaker 6: He didn't he didn't put creep at the end. He would have probably would have fitted Naster exactly as the last camera shot kind of pans away. So what I find, I mean, I love music and effects and in cinema and also TV. It's amazing how much you can improve something. But I thought it was really kind of courageous that they use it sparingly, so you felt like you were there a lot of the time. You felt like you're in the late eight and hundreds where it is lonely, and these people were so brave going out just dig in their own holes to join and find you know, at the start, he's trying to find silver, and then I'm not giving anything away everybody.
Speaker 1: There's still a three and a half hours after that.
Speaker 6: But yeah, so I really enjoyed that aspect of it.
Speaker 2: You texted me saying that you've been trying to convince your partner back to watch this film for many years. You'd always said no, but now because you had a work to watch it. Did you watch it with you?
Speaker 6: She did it. So I said to Becky, I've got to watch this film for work. They were, so you want to need to watch that with your years, Like, yeah, I gotta watch it for work, which is just going to a podcast with Pete. So when you invite any other podcast, like, yes, I'm going to be able to trick beck into.
Speaker 1: Watching this with How does their Blood Players as a date night?
Speaker 6: No, it's not. It's probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it always be.
Speaker 6: My maybe was probably more becks or me and girls something. So the thing is, I'm not sure if you do this with your partner, but with with beck and I. With films, she always says, we have a rule where okay, okay, pick four and I need to choose one.
Speaker 1: Okay, nice, nice system.
Speaker 6: So that's the sister because otherwise she just does rom coms. Yeah right, and like if it's if it's if it's under thirty on Rotten Tomatoes, it's probably well in her wheelhouse. She doesn't care for those things. She just likes feel good, predictable rom coms.
Speaker 2: She allowed to pick rom coms. You're the choose rom ord. Is there a rule where there has to be.
Speaker 6: She is allowed to do that. It's frowned upon, and it can come back, It can come back to get it, bite it right, because suddenly I'm going, all right, well, I'm going to go deep, deep into what I really want for film. So, yeah, I this is one I'd been putting in my four for you know, a few years. I always felt sorry for, you know, Daniel day Lewis, if he could have kind of envisaged him sitting out in the hallway waiting for Beck to make her choice and repeatedly for kind of fifty six weeks in a row. Now we're not going with that one. He just you know, drops his head and sawdus off. So to get her to do it under the guise of work was great.
Speaker 1: Did you get through it? Okay? She fell asleep, she fell a sleep.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It has happened a few times on this podcast, and I like that a lot of people watch the films they're watched, they come to talk about with their partners. I think also it's a nice comfort thing of maybe having all of this guy about it before you you come in. But there's been a few films I think Limo was in with with Nail and nine and he's partner.
Speaker 1: Cal just she lasted ten minutes as well.
Speaker 2: And then when I'm done, I'm done here and Claire Hooper's uh, Clire Hooper's bloke did not get through weird Science. No, So well, thanks for trying, Beck, We appreciate.
Speaker 1: I want to get to what you got.
Speaker 6: We actually have a rule in my house which we broke, was Beck's not allowed to be lied lie down during a film or TV show. Yeah, because she just goes to sleep immediately. But I could tell that she was waning a little bit in interest for this film, and rather than her jump on her phone or anything, you know, I broke the rule. She was allowed to lie down, and sure enough she's asleep straight away.
Speaker 2: Always give a bridge to the bridge, sleeping little Coffer. I laugh at a moment, a little bit out loud, and then she kind of wakes up, and I said, you're right. You don't want to follow sleep the couch, you know, don't like doing that.
Speaker 6: I also can't tell often because Beck will like lay a head on my knees and I can't tell whether she's sleeping or not. That's her move. And so I use my phone on selfie mode to see whether she's sleeping. I have a catalog of photos of Becka's sleep, her big face right Synathy, and so one day I'll release them all.
Speaker 1: But I think I want to have the movie titles.
Speaker 2: I want to get back to what you thought more. But there's so much to unpacked with there would be blood. But I want to talk about your three favorite films, starting with let's go with the Castle, because it has.
Speaker 1: Been mentioned quite a lot recently actually, but as we.
Speaker 2: Mentioned that a few times, hughsually mentioned it, Samuel Johnson mentioned it in their top three favorite films. A couple but when did you? When did you say that? What does this film mean to you?
Speaker 6: In the cinemas? Saw it in the cinemas, loved it. Also realized I could be funny. I just repeating their lines like a you know. So it was the first kind of time where I'm like, you know, I'll tell them they're dreaming at a barbig family bar, because I mean everyone laughs like, oh this is easy. Are they stealing material?
Speaker 2: I think it's the most quotable Australian film. I mean, Dundee A Mirror's Wedding will be you know in that trifector I think, which I think those three are the probably the triffect, the holy grail of Australian comedies. Yes, but yeah, it's such a it's so quote all the whole thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so I just I loved it. Then it's one of those. I also realized that when it comes on, you have to watch it on Telly and it's on every third week, I think of Channel nine. But so that's the sign of a good film. You just get sucked into it. It's so funny, it's so well paced, the performances are amazing. But obviously you know we now I now know that the creators of that and have talked to them a lot about it. So it's it's interesting having that different perspective and seeing it again. I love funny films, and I had to have a comedy in there. But I tend to not draw myself these days to comedic films as much. I tend to be wanting to you know, thrillers or get another vice, maybe because we're trying to be funny or you know, doing you know, comedy podcast stuff constantly that I need films. I need something different. So but that one, when I think about it, is just the one that I always coming back to us. The first time I really understood, oh wow, this is laughing, this is great.
Speaker 1: It is a great one.
Speaker 2: And you know, I mean last week we Sam Johnson still says he is intimidated by Stephen Curry because of that performance, which is weird because I'm sure, you know, car he is the least one of the least intimidating guys you could possibly meet. But these performance is remarkable.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they're also the interesting, I mean the backstory of it all. You know, whether this has been some things I've read in someone, but like they've done in eleven days, like yeah.
Speaker 2: Me and me and Barks borrowing, like Eddie Maguire's cart, you know, because he had like a BMW to yeah shoot the scene.
Speaker 6: And I may be wrong, but I think they wanted to do the dish first, that's right, yes, yeah, and it is their practice film.
Speaker 1: Well well they.
Speaker 6: Got told no, can you do something else cheap? Oh well we may as well try this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, It's like when got here, I said, no, we need one more song, and he did. Somebody that used to know because like he'd finished the whole album. They go, we think you need one more song, Okay, then goes and does that. It's it kind of has that that kind of feel to me. So it's it's an effortless watch though, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's so good.
Speaker 2: If you haven't seen the castle, do you have a favor and then you can listen to I think it was episode two we had Sampang who unbelievably had never seen the castle. Wow, and which is astonished and considering who works with the people who made the castle and has worked with them for the last decade. So that Brave Heart. I remember seeing Brave Heart in the cinemas and this was around a time. Yeah, I think you had danced with wolves around the same time.
Speaker 1: There was quite a few.
Speaker 2: It was a good time for those sweeping historical epics and this was this was probably the most rousing one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I mean, has anyone else mentioned Braveheart? I have? Actually I watch it once a year, right, yeah, and I try to find someone who hasn't seen it to watch it with me once a year. In fact, I was on this is well before I met back, but I was on a date that was going extremely well in New York when we were living there. On gap Year and realized, hang on, I I'd promised Braveheart that this is my once, this is the night I'd chosen for Brave Heart, and Jack posted as coming around to watch it my web guye Jats, and I said to the God, I'm so sorry, I've got to go and watch Brave That's how much I was into this film.
Speaker 1: And the worst version of the movie speed I'm.
Speaker 2: Sorry, there's a bomb explodes. But Gul's Brave Heart, Now.
Speaker 6: What I love about it, and obviously Mel Gibson's had a bit of a troubling road, But what I loved about it was it's it's matship, it's love, it's warfare, it's historic. The scenery is just incredible, and what what they did and and then and it also just the idea of defending your country. It's patrioch. There's so many themes that I can you can grab onto on the way through, and a lot of kilts.
Speaker 2: A lot of girls, and it's fun like it's fun like you know, there's those characters around. I think Brendan Gleason's in it, isn't it Yeah, Yeah, And he's it's.
Speaker 1: A lot of fun.
Speaker 2: You do fall kind of in love with a lot of a lot of those Scottish dudes, you know, and the characters around them, and you buy into the army, you know.
Speaker 6: And I find Gallows humor really funny. I mean some people don't, but I find that a laugh in the most awful times is great. And when people it also says a lot about a character in person, in real life or on film, if they can feel still find the light and still have fun even when things are really daunting or you know, they're at doom's edge. I really think that's endearing. And there's plenty of that brave heart.
Speaker 2: And Mel Gibson plays I thinks his ace in the hole is he's playing a wounded guy. I think he does wounded as much as well as anyone probably on screen.
Speaker 6: Tom Cruise is running, Yes, yes, he runs better than anyone else.
Speaker 1: And Gibson's a good runner as well, you know. Top three.
Speaker 6: I asked Tom Cruise, what you said, eighty percent of your films you're running. Of the film you run? I said, what makes a good run? He said, arms faster than your legs are actually moving normally, we run, you know, kind of one arm per leg's arms faster and makes it look like you're running heaps faster.
Speaker 1: That's how That's actually how I tend to run for an elevator.
Speaker 2: That's just make sure that I'm the pumping. It makes it look like you've made an efforts to get it. They usually hold the door open for you.
Speaker 1: If you do that. That's great.
Speaker 2: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind Michelle Gondry and written by Charli Kaufman.
Speaker 1: A great film in life.
Speaker 2: So much to take in visually and you know thematically, it's a masterpiece.
Speaker 6: This is one that I said I had in my fall, and Beck had knocked back for years, and I kept putting it out to tender and I said, look, it's about love.
Speaker 1: It's okay, wisdom, it's about love.
Speaker 6: I know it looks odd, but it's about love. And Beck loved but was blown away. It is a very confusing film, yeah, and you kind of you kind of don't want to give too much away because it's one of those great films that if you discover what's happening and you finally realize what's happening, it's it's really beautiful and confronting and exciting, but yeah, it's it's a it's a Jim Carrey. I think like Beck was so surprised. That's what was nice watching with someone more recently. Beck was so surprised that Jim Carey could be cute, could play a lovable, cute, adorable like boyfriend. And I didn't really remember him as that. We always think, you know, Ace Ventura or he's playing like almost superhero comicy like character.
Speaker 2: Is the Truman Show kind of edges in closer. That's but even with Truman Show, as things start unraveling, you know, like he does adopt some of his Jim Carrey isms.
Speaker 6: And you don't see it at all in in Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind, and you see why someone would fall in love with him with its character and that I thought that was really interesting to watch again.
Speaker 1: It was his first It's a good point.
Speaker 2: It's his first role of putting away all these tricks and you know, putting his skip bag aside and going okay, this is this is something new.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's nothing slapstick about performance. There's and he also he still gets laugh but they're kind of adorable, endearing type laughs and they're real like in real life, you could see this person doing that where a lot of Jim Carrey's characters. If someone was doing that in real life, you go, wow, call the mentalist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to be around this guy at all.
Speaker 6: So I really like that, and I think Kate Winslet was just amazing as well. It's also lovely to see. And this is maybe sound weird, awful or I'm not sure to say in this day age, but it's like they're two They're not a terrible, like beautifully attractive couple like Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet. It's not that pitcherball like Hollywood type.
Speaker 1: They haven't lootted them up in a way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not the Ashton Coutch and Alie Portman combo, isn't it. And so that's what made it feel more real as well. And you need the relationship to feel real to kind of experience what they go through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I love both those performances. I mean, yeah, Jim Carrey is amazing, but Kate Winslet. There's Clementine, isn't it. Yeah, she is phenomenal from the get go.
Speaker 1: And you know it's kind of.
Speaker 6: Because Mark Ruffler is in there, like it's the cart yes support part of the Kirsten Dance, isn't it? And Mark Ruffalo.
Speaker 2: And Martin's poor GM Marty type I reckon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sorry, I should have been that.
Speaker 2: Elijah Woods in it? Yeah, David Cross? Is it that Tom Wilkins. Tom Wilkinson is amazing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's an amazing cast. But they're all playing besides Jim and Kate, they're all playing very just supportive roles, like not bit parts is too is unfair, But then it's they're not drawing focus at all.
Speaker 1: You just believe the world.
Speaker 6: It's great.
Speaker 2: Speaking of that, the film we're about to speak about, There we be Blood. It's almost it's almost a one hander. It's not quite because poor Dano is also doing some great work, but there will be blood. I really love this film, and I love it even more the more I see. I think the first time I saw it, I was impressed with its scope. Ye, and it's ambition. And I'm a massive Paul Thomas Anderson fan, and this film kind of represents in a way like Marvel may have entered their phase two with Iron Man three whenever that was. But this, I think, and I think I read this that this was Paul Thomas Anderson's phase two if you like. So, he'd made a great little film called Hard eight with Philip Baker Hall, who he collaborated with a few more times, Gwyneth Poultrow and John c Riley. It's called Sidney originally and it was re released as Hart eight. Really lovely little film. And then he made Boogie Knights Explodesive Boogie Knights, and if you haven't seen Boogie Nights, it's it's like good Fellows. It's amazing. Then he has, you know, he's the hot director in town. Friends of a couple of says, make the dream project you want to make. He makes Magnolia, which is an extraordinary film, and then he that's such a massive undertaking, he makes it a smaller film called Punts Drunk Love with Adam Sandler.
Speaker 1: Those three films are particually.
Speaker 2: Put it aside hard Ache, which is it's a good film, maybe not in the same league as these other films, like I can't I still can't decide which is my favorite.
Speaker 1: Like they're they're that good.
Speaker 2: And then so he basically then goes, Okay, I'm gonna I'm going to strive for some new things now and there will be blood is like the first rum he makes, I think then the Master and so you can see him making more period pieces and more kind of almost feels a bit more old Hollywood about it. He doesn't even use Phil Sima Hoffen. I think was going to play a role in this film.
Speaker 1: He doesn't.
Speaker 2: He doesn't work out in the end because I think I think he's also filming Charlie Kaufman directed films Sinadoki, New York. But also I think Poort Thomas Anderson this and I actually want this to be new. I don't want because he was using a lot of same remates Mac you feel see Half and John c Riley. I just want this to be a new caster characters. The only character, the only actor who's in this there was in any previous films, Paul F. Tompkins, A lot of comedy fans would note, so this feels like a new beginning for him, and it just I don't know, it feels I think this is like a Citizen Kane for our generation.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, it's the Then this isn't really I'm not giving away he spoilers reading here.
Speaker 2: I mean you can because if you haven't seen, there will be blood stopped listening.
Speaker 1: Now watch it. And then you can listen to the Canis podcast.
Speaker 6: But it is one of those films which we're not used to in today's day age, where it's not tying itself up. Is it just goes through a one man's life and there's no tricks to pull you back in and then something happens, and often there's not a consequence like it's it's just you just follow someone's journey. It's super satisfying. But I think what we're expecting more these days is a start, middle, and an end in the end that references the start kind of yeah, and it's not really like that. It just tells a story and that's brave. I think people would A lot of people would wouldn't like it for that reason.
Speaker 2: Is this is a movie I think, perhaps more than any other film we have chatted about on this podcast. This you need to love film, Yes, to not just love movies, but you need to love film to appreciate this. You need to make time for it. And I think that's what I love about the opening sequence. So for the first forty minutes is some It's not silent because it's an amazing sound design going on in that, but it's there's no dialogue, and it's full Hoffman Daniel day Lewis as Daniel playing view down the hole and he's with his pickaxe looking for silver, and then he eventually falls and then he's he's basically a broken leg, gett himself up back up the up the mine. And this is what I find incredible. So he gets himself back up the mine, and you seem laid out. You can tell his leg is obviously broken, and you look around and it's as vast as vast as nothing there. It's this American desert and and then you go to the next scene and he's he's found the local town. He's flamming his back, but he has crawled like this is like this is what the kind of stuff thinking about. He has crawled there like people can come to help him. There's no one else around. He crawled there and that like that, And as I love about put Toom Sanderson ports doesn't show us that, like you have to kind of work that out for yourself, like he's done that. That could be the film that is like The Revenant with Leonardo Dicatrioia like whack in there, and that's The Revenant basically, you know, like that could be an amazing film, but that's not what he shows us. He shows us all the details and for me, it really it gives you the confidence.
Speaker 1: And this lets you know you need to pay attention.
Speaker 2: We are working at our own pace here and you need to know you need to be invested.
Speaker 6: Yeah, spot on. And what it's interesting I think is that, Yeah, the first ten minutes no dialogue like I said to be because he said a word yet nah, you know, but it's engaging. The score again, the music's quite daunting. There's a lot of percussion being used, and but you're left going, that'd be really hard working on a mine in the.
Speaker 1: Late ad y.
Speaker 6: Yes, he basically allows you to feel the monotony of it, like, which, again, is it kind of a courageous thing to do. It's like, we're gonna let you sit with this guy that's just hitting rocks down the bottom of a mine. Yeah, and it shopped you. But then he jumps forward in tomly saying and you move there. There's no like linking bits that you might see if someone moves cities. Normally it's a car shot of them leaving that one city, and then one traveling shot and then a big white of them entering the next city like that these film tropes. He doesn't do that, But then you go back to being slow again. So it's I felt like you're kind of watching life in real time, but you get to skip your teleport through the years. Yeah, and then you sit there and you experience it. So it's like if you were time traveling. You can't get a montage of it, but you can pick where to go. You kind of go there your experience, and that's what makes it so much rawer.
Speaker 2: I think I completely agree. And the other really important thing that that opening does is it tells you that this is a self made man. He is by himself in that desert, down that hole, and he's caught up by himself, and he's got that town to sell, you know, to make the money that he made from what he found. But then so that makes you speak a bit on this podcast about you know, where protagonists have sometimes little little and they could be a little maybe kind the actual heroic acts, it just kind of goes, Okay, I'm invested in you. Daniel playing View is not a likable character. There's nobody in this film you're really rooting for, which is kind of interesting, but what you do out of this seat, you've got this is a self made man, Like so he has earned, you know, the right to you know, and he's done. There's the seat, and there's greed, and there's you know, a whole bunch of stuff going on, but he has put the work in. Like this is a man who doesn't need God, as opposed to Pordano's character, Like this is a man who's working on his own terms and has the right to put himself in that situation.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, And it shows that he's resilient and also will kind of stop at nothing, you get you get it. He's drive in that first ten minutes, you're going, Okay, yes, this really wants it and will stop it nothing, And so that when things start working out better for him as these business grows, et cetera, that's still in the back of his mind that the drive is more important than anyone along the way, which is pretty harrowing, particularly towards the end. But yeah, I thought that the person you kind of I found myself reading for was his adopted son HW And you're not sure. So there's an accident the father of this son whose baby would be you know, probably nine months old passed away and he then has takes the baby on it. At that point you're thinking, what a wonderful guy. But it turns out it's not necessarily his why he wanted to have a kid.
Speaker 2: It's impossible not to kind of, I guess jump around a little bit. So let's just let's go for it. But so I remember the first time watched it, and I didn't see it for a while. After I watched it, I just remember going, Okay, yeah, he uses HW as a prop to, you know, to as the face of the business. He wants to sell himself as a family businessman. And and that's just how I remember. And then watching it, you know, the more I've watched it over the years, and certainly watching it again a couple of nights ago, I wonder, I think, as I kind of get older, I understand that, you know, there's more than one truth in each in each thing, Like, is it possible that, yes, the annual playing views saw the the strategy of having selling himself as a as a family man. But is it also possible that he loved the h W. Yeah, because I certainly I certainly felt that.
Speaker 6: I think it is and I think that. I also think that when he was in charge of her mind that's killed this guy and left a baby, I think he felt responsibly at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think he then realized the benefit of it. That's that's like, I don't think it at that singular moment where this horrific accent, this person dies, You're not sitting there going looking at the ball, going, I can use you. I don't think any human really goes through that, because that's care for his workers.
Speaker 1: He does.
Speaker 2: He actually says when the first death happens, you know, we him in the second one, that we will shut the mind down till midday tomorrow and like you kind of make sure you know which you know. People might go, oh, that's had enough, But back then that would have been huge.
Speaker 6: Imagine, yeah, exactly, you're allowed to lose a couple of people a day. I reckon that.
Speaker 1: Well, there's four.
Speaker 2: Deaths in this in this film. The body count is and there's one the other thing I quite liked about. We'll come back to a jump in scept But like Daniel Plain, he's not a murderer. Sorry he murders once.
Speaker 1: Sorry is actually he is? He is? He is, but very much fun it would be very shooting, shooting a blog in the head. Yeah, okay, I can.
Speaker 6: Come and the last scene, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Until that, definitely he's a cold blood of murderer, and no leading into that, and even to put the temping bowling thing aside, which you will definitely obviously get get to whether he has he has fallen into all kinds of madness by then, but up until he murders his brother, until he murders.
Speaker 1: He's not a murderer.
Speaker 6: Funnily enough, when you said it though, just then I went, no, like agreeing with you. Yeah, because he gets driven to heinous as I think, through desperation and also just it all catches up with him. He mentally disturbed by the end of it. That's how I felt.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I feel you look at the two different murders differently in a way like the end is he is gone, is you know, a shell of a man. He's got everything he wanted, he wanted he will all wanted us to.
Speaker 1: Be away from people.
Speaker 2: Uh, and and so he got that and and then yeah, and then he's in with point. But I think with the when he kills his he's not brother Henry who lies to him about being his brother. I think he's so livid because because he knows and this is this is part of the theme of blood you know, being blood relatives.
Speaker 1: Hw is not a blood relative.
Speaker 2: So when he discovers he's got one, he actually pretty quickly for someone like of his temperament and and you know, philosophy, he brings. He brings Henry into the fold pretty quickly, like he's part of the business almost immediately. So when he finds out, which a pretty crafty little detective work, you know, he just mentions the rose Bush dance or something I think it was, and then and then he just just Henry doesn't give the game away completely. He just reads something between the lines and maybe a look in his face, and he knows, he knows that he's there's a deception going on, and he doesn't say kindly to that.
Speaker 6: Again.
Speaker 2: But again it's like the weary that he the one blood relative he thought he had.
Speaker 6: But other directors would have given our audience a bit of a nods that the brother's not the.
Speaker 1: Brother yeah earlier, yeah.
Speaker 6: So but we're not. Again, we kind of find out in real time, so it became a little bit and if you're not paying attention. It can kind of come out and go a bit of a shock all of a sudden that this is what's happening. But I agree with you that Daniel playing me he wants I think he yearns for a family. Yeah, I think he wants a partner, but he's not very trusting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And the fact that he found HW has an accident. He's not son. But I think if HW hadn't had the accident, he would have been there, apparent and they would have had a great Oh.
Speaker 1: You can see all the way through it that he's teaching him. I don't.
Speaker 2: I went into completely different business as my dad, so I haven't had that kind of those discussions with him. But I know mates who have gone into the family business, and I've kind of witnessed those discussions. I've heard about those discussions of the dad, you know, like teaching them the trade. And that is clearly going on here, even from the.
Speaker 6: Matt Jnsky and Michael didn'ty like at the great late like you've you you know, Matt from seventeen years old moves into mushroom records and starts and starts learning off Michael, and you can see and that's and they have great arguments and passion together, but they they're both teaching.
Speaker 1: You could argue, you know, there's no doubt.
Speaker 2: It's part of it that that, you know, and Daniel, playing with view says, you know, like later on that you were, you know, you were a warm face or a friendly face for me to help sell. So there's that. That's part of it, that's part of his thinking. But at the same time, what else was he going to do? Like this is there's no daycare, you know, but he has to go along with them, like he has to be by his side, you know, like the other only other option was wait outside while I do this business. Yes, but no, he's going to sit I and he witnesses all these things. And we want just play a scene where they arrive at the Sunday Ranch and he makes an offer to buy the Sunday Ranch because he knows there's oil. He doesn't know that they know there's oil under and he's told hw that they're going to offer coil prices for oil liter land. And this is where Paul Dano's character Eli, whose twin brother Paul has given Daniel the hot tip, fires up a little bit.
Speaker 5: The Lord has sent this man here you yes, I believe he has My offer.
Speaker 4: To you has doty seven hundred dollars it that brought you here, sir, good lord's guidance.
Speaker 8: Now, of course within there are oiling to develop. Police. What's that? What about our oil? What about it? We have oil here that's worth something? Oh do you have someone who can drilled for it?
Speaker 1: Do you think there's oil here?
Speaker 8: I know there is.
Speaker 5: It's very expensive a drill to get it up and out of the ground.
Speaker 8: You ever tried that before?
Speaker 5: Costly?
Speaker 8: Well, our oil sits right up on top of the ground.
Speaker 5: I believe that's called sea pitch.
Speaker 8: Doesn't necessarily mean there's anything I under What would you give us for it? I don't know something you don't know, that's right.
Speaker 6: What would you like eli.
Speaker 8: Ten thousand dollars for?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 8: For my church? That's good, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: First, Sorr, we should just call me in hair goods Sei Diglois's voice, I mean, the voices is just incredible. He gets report a lot to be based on John Houston Port Thomas Anderson apparently made them watch The Treasure of the Sierra Madre quite a lot. And and it's funny because it gets reported quite a lot. He based it on John Houston in that film. But Daniel day Lewis has constantly said, well, yeah, I listened to that, and I listened to a lot of things, and I can't exactly say how this voice got into me, but yeah, he was a factor. But there were lots of different things. It's almost like Daniel Lewis is saying, can everybody just stop saying that? It's more complicated than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's such a so we all see his performances over the top.
Speaker 2: I just think it's so really really Yeah, some people you need, you need this character this guy like like, this guy's like one of the richest men in America. You know, he becomes and he's ruthless and he's of course he needs to be big. You don't want to mek a ma like if you're doing if you're doing Donald Trump as a character, like if he was a fictitious character, of course you'll be saying, this guy's over the top, this no good, like these are powerful.
Speaker 6: Men of them like this watch the loudest voice. Yes, yes, the Donald Trump portrayaling that was not as like he was less of a cartoon than the real Donald.
Speaker 1: Yes, Lison must yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, like I.
Speaker 6: Was that, you know, he was less orange, his hair was better, like like it was. But I think a great choice to actually not see the laughable Saturday Night Live version Bordwood version. Yeah, but I so, I think, But I don't think that Daniel ed Dalis of Top he's also you need the it is his story we follow a fews. On one hand, he said he needs to have some kind of.
Speaker 2: Character, but also I think people might when they say that, might be thinking of where he ends up in the film, where he is like a mad man living in a mansion by himself, like he's become He's become that, you know, like that lost character.
Speaker 6: I made a fatal error, and I was and I was waiting for the right time to bring up right. I don't know where I missed it.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, yeah, you were taking a photo of back sleeping on your lap, but.
Speaker 6: I did not realize that Paul was the twin brother.
Speaker 1: Well, this is when this is really interesting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So to bring people up to speed, here a brother goes to to Daniel plaint and says, hey, our property has a lot of oil on it. After an earthquake. It's come to the top. We know, we promise you and and and Daniel plays that man, Paul for that that that all that kind of hint and that advice, and then we never see Paul again.
Speaker 2: It's a fascinating little exchange because he doesn't know whether to trust him or not. No, but he does, you know, he sounds honest enough that he decides to give him some money and he says, if I get there and there's no oil there, you know, things won't end.
Speaker 1: Up good for you.
Speaker 2: And then we never see We never see him again, which is interesting. So there's an interesting from a production point of view, this interesting story here. This was originally played by a different actor, an actor by the name of kell O'Neill, and so well, actually Paul Dana was always gonna play Paul and kell O'Neal was gonna play Eli, right, so then they like happens in some films Back to the Future, Eric stults Michael J. Fox in Eric stolts out it wasn't working out, And it's been reported that kell O'Neal was quite intimidated by Daniel day Lewis Wow just from Becau. Daniel Lewis's his method. There's been no kind of you know, there's no sense of Daniel Lewis doing anything wrong or anything, but just you know, like period performance. So often, I'm sure you've been a situ like I feel like I'm going to be intimidated by these people, and then you get to know them and the pill verg a lot of good actors and and you know, people are good at putting you at ease. Daniel Alow was obviously for kell Owneal wasn't one of those people. And he h, this wasn't working out. So on a Thursday, Paul Thomas Anderson goes to Paul Dana and says, how'd you feel about playing Eli as well? We could plamem as twins? And is it's sure, okay if you think this could work, when do you need me to start?
Speaker 1: And he said Monday.
Speaker 2: So so that kind of frames I think Paul Dano's performance is even I think more incredible, and we'll get the poor Daana's performance.
Speaker 1: Soon.
Speaker 2: But so because what I always thought, potentially I had a little bit of a conspiracy theory that perhaps they were the same person, even if it was was Eli playing Paul. And then kind of like almost you never saw him again because Eli was like, I'm not going to acknowledge it that happened, you know, because I feel guilty about that I've got brought the devil in.
Speaker 1: But it seems not no, if that's true, that's just that they had we known.
Speaker 2: And this is again those details at poor time Sanders and goes you don't need those details.
Speaker 6: Because I got super confused when Eli brings some bread or water or whatever it was. When when Paul and HW arrive and they've got a chance to be a line and then I was waiting for plane View to go. Thanks buddy for the tip.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny because when it's when Eli brings him that I think by the you know, by the campfire wherever they are, plain View does give him a like a like almost a second look.
Speaker 6: He does, and that's why you And then and then Eli says pleased to meet you, et cetera. And then I thought, ah, he's pretending you have they haven't met before. And then it just was confusing me. So I Wikipedia and found out that it was a twin brother. But does he mention he was a twin brother?
Speaker 1: I think I think it does briefly get mentioned right, So I might.
Speaker 6: Have missed that bit, but I had to pause and go, this isn't making sense to me. Now again, I might have missed that bit because that happens in films, but it wasn't like it's reinforced. No, no, they they And I'll saying, why make them twins? What is the like now you've answered that question?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think great films do that. They're like, you need, you need, you need to catch up. We're gonna move ahead. Even in this movie, it doesn't move at a frenetic pace at all, but you know, there's details where you there's.
Speaker 1: All scenes in the movie.
Speaker 2: Even there's a scene where Daniel's at a table near the they're oil set up on the once a Sunday. Raunches up and going and the daughter comes over to him and he kind of like, you know, like you know, I think she sits on his knee or he kind of and he says, there'll be no more hitting you you know, your you know, your father knows there'll be no more hitting, you know, And she nods and she's you know, and then she walks away and he looks over at the father. Now We've never seen any of this happen. It's not really referred to.
Speaker 6: Bruise on her ever. It's just like he obviously has found out that the father's hitting the daughter and would like to, instead of confronting the man, tell the daughter really clearly that it's not going to happen in front of the man. It's the most passive aggressively you can do it.
Speaker 1: Which is a stranging coming from this character. But I think again, it gives you.
Speaker 2: I don't think I think he gets corrupted along the way, and this is you know, that's what I think the film's saying.
Speaker 1: Power and ambition corrupts.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it doesn't just do that with plain view, does that with poor Dano's character ELI clearly?
Speaker 1: If not even more so? Let's talk about Poor Dano his role.
Speaker 6: I thought he was the best. I thought his performance was so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And it's fascinating you say that he got replaced in Yeah, because I thought it was really it would be really hard against Daniel day Lewis with that.
Speaker 2: Well, some people, I say, some people think Daniel Lewis has a bit over the top. But some people feel, like Quentin Tarantino said, his only criticism of his film was Paul Dana's performance, which I find really one but the sport I love Quentin Tarantino at this point that he put that on the record. P Dano, you know, he's a really good actor, and he bobably doesn't need Tarantina. I mean, good only for being honest absolutely.
Speaker 6: When you say at the end of this the only disappointing thing about this podcast was Andy Lee's performance.
Speaker 2: If I wait, do you leave the studio, I don't expect you to listen to right to the end when you listen back to it. But I think what I like and what I think he's really interesting about this film is poor Thomas Anderson wasn't going for two heavyweights going at it. I like that one of them was a bit weasy, you know, and and a bit sneak.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 6: What do you think Tarantino's problem with it is there?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I think Danielde Lewis is such a powerhouse that it is hard probably to be you know, you know, acting across from him and coming out, you know, getting nominated for awards. It's the same way that same year, so No Country for Old Men wins the Oscar that year, Javier Badam wins for Anton Sugar and an Tommy Lee Jones is awesome in the and that Rod doesn't get nominated like this, you know that's Tommy Lee Jones, you know, and he misses out on the country for Old Men, And I think.
Speaker 6: Weirdly the same similar vibe film.
Speaker 2: There's i know, different shot in the same at the same time almost so and.
Speaker 6: And like just a moment through time, like they just work through a story and it finishes like it's not you know, it's it's doesn't bounce around. You kind of just felt it's it. That's it's. I found that fascinating that they are at the same time.
Speaker 2: I love films that this give you time to already mad about the opening scenem but just like just to kind of get into and be with the characters in their moments. They're quieter moments as opposed to all melodrama and you know, like you know all information, It's like, no, I just want to be with these characters. And funnily enough, when they shut the that oil the Mind catching on fire, they were going to do a test do it on fire, and then do a test run and then shoot it. The next day and once they came on fight really fire, They're like, oh shit, let's just shoot it all now. And they kind of they weren't sure if they kind of fucked it up or not, but they wait, They're waiting for it to go out. And then they were like, this is not going out. Let's shoot it. Let's just keep shooting. But what it did, the fight kind of kept burning through the night through the next day. Our country, no country for old men were shooting not far from there. Really, they had to delay a day because all this smoke was coming in from there will be blood. So the karma is that there will be no country roll men wins the oscar over there will be blood. So if you disappointed that no country roll mean one over there with blood, it's it's you know, it all comes back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So going back to my question, and it's maybe a hard one to answer, but what do you think Quentin Tarantino's knock on the performance is?
Speaker 2: I think poor Dano's is an interesting taste. I find he can he can come across as a bit whiny.
Speaker 6: It looks a bit like Scott Dooley to me, that Scotty comes across a hiss whiny.
Speaker 1: No scottols.
Speaker 2: Ifdels was to give you a a little flat, you know, a little a little flat on his hair and just brush it forward a bit. Yeah, I always liked Paul that. You would have seen him in a little in the Sunshine. He's one of his big roles. He's been in lots of stuff. He's extraordinarily talented. I think some I think he go he does, he does go over the top. He's more ground that that character for the most part, is more grounded. It feels like in reality only because we don't know too many Carris, you know, Daniel plain View, so I like it more naturalistic.
Speaker 6: I think, Yeah, I liked it because evangelicists a strange bunch, and I'm frightened of them, like like the the you know, and there's a weird church, that sect that has this person that's that, and they often are these cult leaders are often weak people hiding behind the position of power. And I felt like he puts on that act really well in the church scenes and makes everyone thing, but he is a weasel behind the scenes and he is timid, but he you know, it's like the small man syndrome. But he has this power because he's the church.
Speaker 1: Leader, and he has his plan straight away.
Speaker 2: That's scene we listened to before, and I think I think playing View sees it straight away.
Speaker 1: He says, oh, that's good, that is good. So he knows he sees him. He knows that he is a false prophet.
Speaker 2: And what's great about the whole thing is that Daniel Plainview is a false prophet as well. I mean he's lying, you know, he's pretending he is his son, he's a family man.
Speaker 1: He's not. He's not these things. But I think I think Eli is a bigger hypocrite, yes, than what Daniel Plainview is.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, and I really enjoyed that plain View didn't succumb to him ever, Really the fact that he knocked him about, but he could bring him undown. I always felt, though, in the back of my mind, that the whole village was starting to fall in love with this church and their leader. And so even though this guy was a bit of a scrawny snake, he had this power the whole time over Plainview. Plainview needed the village to be operating and wanting him there, so he's oil, the minds could continue to work, the workers were there and helping out and this guy was in charge of the village the church, you know, and so eli that is I found that an interesting parallel. It happens in life all the time. And the church has a lot of power, as we see quite often, and power to change laws and so on, because and see there's these people in these heads that do have this power, which is scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Fine, And I think that that played out really.
Speaker 2: Well, absolutely, and I think having I like that poor Dano is a completely physical shape. Yes to Daniel day Lewis that not only does Daniel da Lewis see him, and I think once he sees him and realizes I don't believe you, then like he also can look at him physically and go, you are I kind of find you pathetic. So then when he has a succumb later on and he like when he with the baptism scene which will have a listen to in a second, but you you kind of go, how humiliating it is and this is how much but this is how much Daniel playing view wants to you know, how how ambitious and how greedy is.
Speaker 1: He's willing to go through this huge public humiliator humiliation.
Speaker 2: There's a main one of my favorite shots in the whole film, a lot of the shots of the long Paul Thoma Sendson does. These long shots on scene is a term you'll hear it. It means longer shots with less cuts. And and one of my favorite shots is when Paul Dano or Eli is getting the devil out of the older woman and he's.
Speaker 1: Like, get out, devil, get out, get out.
Speaker 2: And we kind of follow the cameras in front of Paul Eli and we follow it and he's get out and he's almost doing this devil voice and get out. And then and then it cuts back into the church and we see Daniel Plainville and like Eli has got his hands like in a christ like pose, and he says, the devil has left or devil is down and cuts the thing you're playing for you smiling and it's like, no, the Devil's still in your church.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It is such a brilliant shot. Yes, I love it so much.
Speaker 2: But those baptism scenes, so you have you have earlier, I think once the accident happens, you have Daniel day Lewis kind of giving his own baptism to Eli, putting his face in the model of beating him, slapping him apparently they shot that one day the very next day to give the give Paul Dana the chance to you know, like Daniel Delo was back.
Speaker 1: They shot that.
Speaker 2: They shone back to back, and that was deliberately. Yeah, it's a lovely, really thoughtful I think touch because you know, like they weren't choreographed scenes. They were like physical, you know, physical scenes. And I don't imagine Daniel Alois holds back necessarily, you know, as much as you can. So then so let's have him listen to the baptism saying I want to ask you about and after we have a listen.
Speaker 4: Daniel, you've come here and you've brought good and wealth, but you have also brought your bad habits as a backslider.
Speaker 8: You've lusted after women, and you have abandon your child, your child that you raised, you have abandon all because he was sick, and you have sinned. So say it now, I am a sinner, and say it, louder. I am a I'm a sinner, Louder, Daniel, I am a sinner.
Speaker 5: I am a sinner.
Speaker 6: I am sorry, Lord, I am sorry.
Speaker 2: Lord.
Speaker 4: I want the blood.
Speaker 1: I want the blood.
Speaker 2: You have abandoned your child.
Speaker 5: I've abandoned my child.
Speaker 8: I will never backslide.
Speaker 6: I will never backslide.
Speaker 8: It was lost, but now I am foul lost.
Speaker 6: But now I'm fine.
Speaker 8: I have abandoned my child. Shad, Shad, I've abandoned my child. Say it louder, Say it louder.
Speaker 7: I've abandoned my child. I've abandoned my child. I've abandoned my blood. You beg for the blood, Give me the bloody light. Let me get out of here, Give me the blood, Lord and let me get away. Do you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and savior?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 6: Get out of her devil devil out.
Speaker 1: Several judge the relation.
Speaker 8: Is spirit your guy?
Speaker 2: How much do you think is is just performance from Daniel playing for you? And how much is him actually repenting for what he's actually done?
Speaker 6: I think great question to go back a step for everybody. Daniel playfoo gives up his child, so we didn't really capture that. H W who is I think he absolutely loved. But when the mining accident means that he loses his hearing, HW lose his hearing, it became too difficult.
Speaker 1: I mean HW did try to set fire to the house.
Speaker 2: Well, Daniel was sleeping with Henry in or rebellious act towards Henry, which you could read in a number of ways.
Speaker 1: One that he was just.
Speaker 2: Felt threatened by you know, like Henry's now Daniel's favorite toy.
Speaker 1: Or that he knew he was.
Speaker 6: I I found this a really difficult thing to work out how to feel. We know how driven he is for success, how much self worth he gets out of his work, and then a child that is now can't hear he can't actually share that with and is being really problematic a delinquent. It's the send away part. I mean, you should never do it, but it's one of those. Really that was a reckon, really tough one for his for that character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never found like an easy thing for him to do.
Speaker 6: No, he didn't think it was easy. But also in particularly that era and or even just fifty years ago, kids sent away all the time, boarding schools kind of it. So I think he found it really hard that he did that. I think he did feel sorry, he did want to repent for it, but the last place he wanted to do it was in that Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think he went there not thinking he was going to this was going to be a performance, But I think throughout it he actually decided to let it out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and when the moment where and we heard just then where he paused and say that was the moment where he's like, you're humiliating me. Yeah, I think I don't need this from you, Eli, And then he cracks and actually I think you hear in his voice and his tones like I have done the wrong thing. But there's that pause where he almost goes, you can go down two paths, and you wonder is he going to give up on this whole act to endear himself back to the village.
Speaker 2: And I ever think by the time that scene was in the back of that dialogue we just heard, he's almost regretted letting that out. I don't think it necessarily repents and then kind of is like, Okay, I'm glad I repent it. It's like, ah, I let that out. I'm a little bit embarrassed by it. And then he kind of like sees that the church goers or in the communities all around him. So I think maybe then it's it's a little bit of like Okay, this could work. Business goes exactly, So there's like there's a whole lot of there's a whole lot of stuff going on in that scene, I think, and this is, you know, the more I do a little bit of acting, and I'm gonna take it a little bit more seriously each time. The more you learn about you know, you don't want any performance in the scene. There's to be a flat line. You want it to be you want it to have these little you know, ebbs and flows within the scene. And I think that's you know, I mean, there's no better person to witness that than Daniel day Lewison, and he does that in this scene.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot of stuff going on.
Speaker 6: Very excited for the next season of How to Stay Make considering that you're taking on the Daniel Dale little compairing.
Speaker 1: Comparing myself to the scene where I take there my daughter's bowling.
Speaker 2: Goes a little takes a few twists and turns at the local AMF. I want to listen to another scene actually, which actually I think we're doing this slightly out of order, but this is where Daniel actually has the chat to his brother, and you know, it's it's one of the very few moments where he's I think, speaking honestly about what he really wants and how he feels about other people.
Speaker 9: I see the worst of people, Henry. I don't need to look past seeing them to get all I need. I build up my hatreds over the years, little by little work. Having you here, it gives me a second breath life.
Speaker 6: I can't keep doing this on my own.
Speaker 1: With these son people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's, it's, it's it's it's a love that scene, because it really comes, it's it's almost him vulnerable. I mean, it's a weird kind of speech to the kind of deny vulnerability. But I think he's sharing when it sets up where he's going to end up, as far as he just wants to be alone and he wants to be you know, he becomes that Howardhawk's kind of character at the end.
Speaker 6: But it says to me again, and this happens to a lot of people along their journey, is the run to the top is kind of much easier a breeze, because you know where you need to get to once and then once you're there, if someone will take it away from me. And and so the fact that he says I see the worst in people. I think he always did, but it's now more and more people that he doesn't trust, and as it gets bigger, there's more and more people that could deceive him, and he's on his own. He's absolutely feeling very vulnerable.
Speaker 2: And at the time, you could also imagine the gold Rush to the oil rush, you know, like like there were people who like there were people who wanted to be him. They wanted to take that from him. They wanted to in the same way he did it to other people with their land. People are going to come for him. So his paren oya is justified, yes.
Speaker 6: Totally, totally, And so the fact that his brother who's not his brother, comes along would have been such a relief. And you see that. You see that actually with people making bad points, small businesses so on, when it's all become too much, they get a manager. And it's normally that anyone who pitches well at that point, even if they don't care about the resume. It's like, I'm seeing it as a chance for me to just share some of the load, you know. Yeah, I've had friends do this where I'm like, why did you employ that person? Is like at the time, I just had a kid and I just needed to share the load. Now, don't bitter, but you get you get why, because I always thought if he's been so distrusting, how come he's just loving his brother so quickly. Yeah, I think, like you mentioned earlier in the podcast, he's desperate to share the load. Yeah, and he can't do it with his son because he sent him away. And so yeah, he's just he's kind of there and wants it, wants it to be true.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he's been really open and I think only the really time you've seen him laugh and you know, share a laugh with somebody and it's not it's not a classic.
Speaker 1: Human but it's but it's there. So they get HW back.
Speaker 2: There's a great scene in that kind of fancy restaurant where those kind of other investors have come and the ones that he kind of he knocked back and he threatened to cut their throat because he was offering advice about family. Or he wasn't really offering advice. I think he was just asking about family and he took that the wrong way. But it's it's again another master class because there's not a lot of dialogue, but it's just like Daniel de Lewis. Then you're playing viewers with HW at the restaurant. They order, so I think some goat's milk and a whiskey, and and then the other Oil guys come in and the way that serves them before they he brings over. So Daniel gets up and gets the whiskey in the goats mik off the bar and he says that, you know, we ordered this.
Speaker 1: Before, which is still happening today in fit Troy.
Speaker 2: And then and then he's just most of it is just him looking over and wondering whether he's going to get up and say something, and that's the contempt he has. And eventually he does get up and you know, and says, you know that they surely embarrassed because he's made the big deal with Union Oil.
Speaker 1: I think it is. But again it's just the.
Speaker 2: Silence of the scene or you know, the lack of dialogue and the scene that's just the look on Daniel d Lewis's face as he looks over is just amazing to watch.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's it's to me, that's again the greed, like he feels like he's got everything, but he wants everyone to know he's got everything. Like It's it's funny though that that character he plays so well where he should be in control because he's doing so well, but he feels out of control almost constantly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's an interesting.
Speaker 2: Eli mentions during the baptism scene where I think he says, you've brought some good, You've brought some good to this town, but you've also brought like some evil things, and he mentions womanizing, which we never actually see. And I'm not sure if that was cut from the script or the or the the edit, but I kind of like that. I kind of liked that he wasn't a womanizer as such.
Speaker 6: I agree, yeah, he whether they're referencing where he went with his brother to the prostitutes, and again you don't even necessarily know they're there at brothel. But then his brother comes and goes, can I have some money? And there's a girl laughing in the background. Can I grab some money? And then that girl keeps laughing and he gives his brother some money. That was again they don't you don't see anything. That's all you see, and you're left again to go. Oh, I guess they're at a brothel. I guess Daniel's there because his brother wanted to go. Now Daniel's paying for it, Like it doesn't look like he's participating, but he's still allowing it for his brother. Like it was a really interesting scene. So I wondered whether that was something that because you don't see like and whether he felt like he's being unfairly tird with that womanizing cut thing. I don't see it anywhere else.
Speaker 2: No, No, which I really like. Let's get to the famous ending. So Daniels he's got his big mansion that he always wanted. He's living the Howard Hughes life. And the first visit he gets, well, first we see I think he's shooting furniture in the hallway, which almost if we've ever done.
Speaker 6: We actually did.
Speaker 1: I said that I thought it would have surprised me.
Speaker 9: You have.
Speaker 6: Hamish bought a BB gun at Walmart when we're on the caravan of Courage and we were setting up pillows in the hotel room and Haynes had a shot and I'm like, it doesn't it didn't seem like a tit pillow like the big curtains and so on, and we drew back the curtains and it completely shattered the entire window and it didn't stop our BB gun exploits for the whole trip, and we ended up in this this in Hollywood. I think, yeah, we're going to do the Caravan and Carriage show from Out and Out in Lost Bag and Los Angeles. And we have stay at this place called the Park Hotel. And we were by the pool one day as we're waiting for the edit to be completed, and this girl's saying, oh, I'm I just got signed by Jay Z. I'm going to be a singer. And we're like, oh, yeah, of course, like everybody else, this British girl and and so we said, Hames like, oh, we've been firing Bebe guns and she she came down and we were firing these bb guns again into like different pillows and so on.
Speaker 1: That's rita Aura, I was guessing.
Speaker 6: But as we were checking out, they came and they said, hey, you I was for all the upholstery of her. And we're like all right, and Hames like all right, sure, how bad is it? And they pulled out a pillow and just shook it and all the BBS were still in its chininking around like yeah, we'll pay for that.
Speaker 1: Fair cool.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 6: But we tried to give half the bill to rita Ura when she came on the radio show like ten years later she remember she didn't remember, and then we showed her photos and she's like, well, I was there, and then she I think she did that thing where she pretended she remembers, but I don't need remember.
Speaker 1: How crazy is you? Laugh at you?
Speaker 2: You you clearly remember shooting BB guns in a in a hotel room or it doesn't remember.
Speaker 1: How many crazy nights have you had?
Speaker 2: You don't remember shooting BB guns in the hotel furniture exactly.
Speaker 1: So that's happening. He doesn't need to pay any and to.
Speaker 6: Jump forward again, isn't it. So that's what again, that's what I think.
Speaker 2: It's possibly the much jarring jump forward because you go from him in the oil fields and then for the first time you're obvious see where he lives in a way like you know, like you get the scope of his residents.
Speaker 6: And I at the time, I was kind of excited for him to build that huge pipeline and have that idea to avoid the shipping costs. We build a pipeline. You see it starting, And obviously it worked, yeah, because the next thing you see him in a mansion and.
Speaker 1: Turned out okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But I suppose I was left wanting to see a bit of that, like, you know, because that was such an amazing thing to like a foresight to build a whole pipeline so you don't have to use the trains and all that kind of stuff which those other people had a monopoly on. And then just to him upset in a well not upset but just kind of lonely in a mansion, you realize it worked out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I love that they use that tool, but I also like, oh, I would have liked to have seen a celebration I suppose, and we never really get one for whole again.
Speaker 2: Again, no, again, it's a reason we bleak film in a way, and port Rams Anderson doesn't give you those moments that you might expect. No, like you know, seeing him crawl, you know you're right. And he obviously has a lot of success in his life.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, well there's obviously different messions of success, but the things he was trying to achieve he obviously achieved. We never get a satisfied moment, It just jumps to the next. We get all the troubles, yeah, but we never get there's never one that resolves in and well done.
Speaker 2: And the one opportunity they have is when maybe HW comes back and you think, well, this could be the light, this could be Yeah, it's older. He's married to the Sunday daughter who Daniel had spoken to earlier about the hitting, and that's going stop that they they marry here here rives and you think, okay, this could be an opportunity to you know, humanize Dan. You'll play with you. And it doesn't. It doesn't necessarily go that way. He is played older. HW is played by Russell Harbott, who is deaf and the actor is deaf. So let's have a listen to that scene.
Speaker 5: I should have known that under this, all these pastures, you've been building your hate for.
Speaker 1: Me, piece by peace.
Speaker 5: I don't even know who you are because you have none of me, and you you're someone else's this anger, your maliciousness, backward dealings with me. You're a boy from from a basket in the middle of the desert. Am I looking for no other reason than I needed a sweet face to buy land?
Speaker 8: Did you get that?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 9: No, you know.
Speaker 8: Look at me.
Speaker 1: You're lower than a bastard.
Speaker 2: So HW has informed into him that he's going to set up his own company in Mexico.
Speaker 1: He's not supportive, he's immediately.
Speaker 6: It's awful, isn't it.
Speaker 1: You are my competition, now you are my rival.
Speaker 6: You're right. I thought it was a chance for him to go well done son, Yeah yeah, but he went you're not my son.
Speaker 1: He does the opposite of that.
Speaker 6: I kind of got. So this seems amazing because HW can't speak or can't hear, so he's using a sign through and he's actually signing back and there's an interpreter there that's kind of having the conversation. So the scene is amazing. But I get the feeling that when the interpreter and HW were leaving the meeting, they would have gone, well, that really didn't go that well.
Speaker 1: For everything they would have hoped before.
Speaker 6: It was. It was as bad a meeting as a son could have hopedul Dad disowns him, gives him no bless you, calls him a bustard, and I that was where I was at.
Speaker 1: Mind.
Speaker 6: That was the saddest I was in the film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really sad, because I mean, you know, you're probably hoping for, yeah, maybe some some pride, and you know, I forget how I felt when I first saw it, but I'm not completely sure over thought that was coming but you know, if you look at it as if this was actually really happening, yeah, some pride.
Speaker 1: Maybe you need any advice, son, you know, Can I help you out? Can I help get you started?
Speaker 6: Can I give you a one from from our own lives? So we did joint productions with Roving Enterprises, which obviously you were deep in the in the road game and Radio Karateias. We will do with co pros for two years, maybe even a bit longer. And we came to Roving and said, hey, guys, we want to go by ourselves now, right, Yeah, And I was really daunted for that meeting. Thankfully it didn't go the way it went. There will be blood where you're not my Sonny.
Speaker 2: I heard Hamish was signing. It was weird, yeah, language, No, it was like we thought, we thought this day would come. Anything you need let us know, and you go, oh, what a relief. And then you've got a great working relationship ongoing and a chance to be in each other's lives essentially. Now obviously that's a minor thing, but in this instance, that was the opportunity for Daniel play, for you to go.
Speaker 6: I thought this day would come. You've grown up, you've learned everything you needed to for me. It's time for you to spread your own wings. And if you need any help, I'd love to be there. But yeah, I lost any bit of love for Daniel Playview that I had any benefit of the doubt that I was giving him. I lost it all in this scene and I just wanted him to fail. And from then on in there were times where I'm like, oh, that could be redeeming. Oh that was tough. That was this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then he has a second visit. He has Eli come to visit, the devil in the shiny suit. He comes but tending to be a friend or well, he's acting like a friend with a promise or an opportunity.
Speaker 1: He's wrapping it up. As for Daniel Playview, let's see how that plays out.
Speaker 4: You're just after birthy life slithered out on your mother's felt fur.
Speaker 6: They should have put you in a glass door.
Speaker 8: On a mantle piece.
Speaker 5: Where were you when Paul was suckling at his mother's teeth day? Where were you who was nursing you?
Speaker 6: Poorie?
Speaker 5: Lie on a Bandit sounds that Land has been had. Nothing you can do about his God's hat.
Speaker 8: If you would you take this lease dead.
Speaker 4: Drain it drainy, lie, you boy, drain dried.
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 8: If you have a milkshake and I have a milkshake and.
Speaker 5: I have a straw, there it is, that's the straw.
Speaker 8: See watching.
Speaker 4: My soul reaches a crouls room and starts to drink your milkshak.
Speaker 5: I drink your milkshake.
Speaker 6: I drink it up.
Speaker 4: Don't buy me CAUs.
Speaker 1: He goes shape from them. Yeah, did you did you?
Speaker 9: Like? You know?
Speaker 1: A lot of found the third act jarring? Did you did?
Speaker 6: You can't say I loved the ending.
Speaker 1: I felt like.
Speaker 6: I just didn't think he was a murderer, and I didn't think he needed to be murder even though we know he's shot. But he shot his brother who was not his brother, who was being deeply deceitful, and he was out in the middle of nowhere, and it felt like that kind of stuff happened in the turn of the century. But I never thought him as a cold blooded murderer, and so I was surprised that he did. They showed that he'd gone completely mad, but I felt like he'd got the better of Eli. In the end, he realized that he Eli had nothing they both kind of found themselves in the word position of all and he didn't need to bludge it.
Speaker 2: No, I mean certainly, I mean for someone who's not a murderer, I'm surprised he did that, but you know.
Speaker 6: What I mean, like it didn't well my take on it is and.
Speaker 2: I was really shocked at the first time I saw it, and I had to sit with it for a while, and you know, I think, I I've gotten more the more i'll watch it, and I really like, I kind of love the ending now. So I think from that scene we listened to earlier where he's when Eli asked at the ten thousand dollars get his church, Daniel knows that this guy is not the real deal, and he can see see through him, and he kind of immediately hates him, even to the point where Eli asks if he's gonna say his name so he can bless it the mind, and he does, and he doesn't do it like I love that, and he's just he's just standing there waiting for him to be called, and he blesses it himself, like these two just go to war. He sees, he knows that Eli is a fraud. He's not going to get get a little way away with it. And not only is he a fraud as far as maybe the way he's monetizing the church, but he's also then starts getting into the oil game because he goes he goes off to I think three areas and this is you know, this is one of those things he easily missed. But so before we got to get to the end, we see Daniel basically at the train station saying goodbye to some people. He's going off to three areas that are oil rich land and he's going to invest some of the money to make himself wealthier. So when he goes hat in hand, well he doesn't go hat in hand originally. He actually goes almost looking like he's there to help Daniel. Here he finds sleeping in the bowling alley in the you know, get the bumper lanes up playing view, and he tries to convince him that you know, we're friends, you know, like we are friends, and where I have an opportunity for you, until Daniel breaks it down and basically he reduces Eli to a bit of a blubbering a mess. I want to ask you, first of all, when there's so much to listen to, so we can't play at all. But Daniel does get Eli to repent in the same way that he had repented in his church earlier. Did you believe in the same way that maybe we discussed earlier that Daniel was almost genuine in some of his remorse and repenting that did you feel Eli was the same way of realizing that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do, but it's that different type of It's when someone owns up to doing something before they've been caught, versus when someone gets caught and then confesses, they too have different meanings. And I feel like for both of them, both the characters have been caught out and so they do confess, and they at least admit, but it's never nearly as strong as if someone comes forth first. So yeah, I agree they both had it, but it's kind of a little bit too late.
Speaker 2: And I think Daniel he you know, he oil was a business, you know, and and and he said his sights on that, and he was successful, and he a town was born out of it, and who knows how many more towns and and and all that, and you know, the oil is a controversial subject, obviously, but you know, at the time it was a business.
Speaker 1: For him.
Speaker 2: You know where I feel Eli's motivations are more nefarious in a way, like what was you know? I mean you could say, yes, he provided the church service for these people, but it was really always always about him.
Speaker 6: Power and celebrity. Yeah, that's what I kind of saw him. He wanted to be important and from like you mentioned, from the moment he says, I'd like you to mention my name when you open the mind, it's I can bless it. Just make sure you mentioned my name and call me up. That's that was what's important to him, and he didn't have he had he could trick people with with the with the illusion of faith, but he doesn't have the smarts or enough presence to be a natural leader, so he has to rely on kind of deceit to get that position. And yeah, even down to the very end, like you said, he comes attempting, not hat in hand, but attempt to go, hey, I've got an opportunity for you. If he had actually come hat in hand. Yeah, not to say that that Daniel would have gone, okay, I'll help you out, because he doesn't seem like that guy.
Speaker 2: No, he turns the screws in and he even points out that Paul his brothers, the first time I've heard of him since, has actually is succeeding. You know, he got paid, you know, he came to Daniel with an actual offer or a tip and a business opportunity, and he was you know, fairly remunerated. And he's now still doing successfully and I think clearing you know, five thousand a week or whatever it was, you know, so which hurts. He's one of the worst pussible thing he could say that Eliah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I it was never going to go well for Eli.
Speaker 2: But the fact that he tried to again lie his way because those those three places we went where he's going to invest it. Obviously he's all turned turned bad for him. And when the milkshake line came out, had you heard of that, like you're aware of that kind of line. It has been kind of parodied a little bit, not necessarily it's no, you know it's no.
Speaker 6: No, I didn't know the line. Yeah, it's been in sketches or so yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it hasn't become like, you know, a top gun type, you know, reverence.
Speaker 2: It's not I feel the need the need for speed or anything like that, but it has been parody I know Bill Hated did a pretty funny I said a love sketch on it once, but yeah, it is quite of an iconic line from it. What was your reaction to because it's quite it comes out of the blue.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and also even just talking of milkshakes seemed bizarre that that particular point in time, But it did illustrate the point really well, like he was telling a three or four year old, you know, like it was belittling to Eli, I thought, yeah, but illustrating the point very well. Eli's trying to sell him a parcel of land, saying there's oil on it, and he's saying, mate, I've drilled I've got to own all the surrounding land, have drilled down and taken it from underneath you. Yeah, you've got nothing there and you don't even know it.
Speaker 2: And what's fascinating about that speech? It was taken because this book is from this book from the twenties called Oil, but they've only used about it. It's quite a long book and they've only used about the first one hundred and fifty pages and they just make it their own movie. I get the impression they're kind of almost regret even citing it. They're very keen to point out that it's they used like some set up one hundred and fifty pages and they it becomes its own thing. But there was something then your playing view is based on. Well, there's some similarities between him and an oil tycoon called Edward L.
Speaker 1: Downey.
Speaker 2: They're both from Wisconsin, they both work in Kansas, and Edward Downy was investigated for something called the teapot Dome scandal, and there was some congressional hearings and this milkshake speech really basically, you know, explain how they you know, like land is taken and that's how it works, and use this milkshake analogy. So as much as it seems like a crazy thing that you know, poor Thomas Anderson has written, has actually taken from from congressional hearings.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, so it was said at the time, that's fascinating. See, that's what I thought. Daniel has belittled him enough. You see him, just like Eli could have been kicked out the front of the house and been worse off. It's hard to say because he gets blooded to death by the bowling pin in the head, but I reckon he was at rock bottom. He thought this is his one way out, he would have even been further down. I didn't. I was just surprised he felt the need to kill him, Like, yeah, yeah, because because I even Daniel kind of likes people like, you know, at being at rock bottom and having the better of them. Yeah, Like I thought he would have got easily enough satisfaction of just turning him away.
Speaker 2: And I wonder how much of it is the anger of what's happening with HW as well boiling over like it's just all just it's it's it's all this anger is falling off, bubbling to the top now is fascinating. We're going to this some fun facts before we wrap this up. We love our fun facts here. Andy Lee HW was played by a guy called Dylan Freezer. It could be Fraser, but I'm he's never acted again. His parents were a bit worried about him acting.
Speaker 6: Did Tarantino.
Speaker 1: Absolutely handed.
Speaker 2: His mum had seen Daniel day Lewis in The Gangs of New York playing Bill the Butcher and was a bit apprehensive about her son maybe not understanding the acting game, so they then sent her a copy of Age of Innocence.
Speaker 6: Right, I haven't seen that.
Speaker 1: That is more like an ivory merchant ivory kind of film.
Speaker 2: You know, it's it's tuxedos and ball gowns, and so she said, yeah, he said, yes, give you permission now. So we've already mentioned some of the fun facts. Actually, this is the most ironic of fun facts, and that is speaking of milkshakes, the fake oil was actually made from the stuff that McDonald's used in their chocolate milkshakes.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, that's bizarre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so's it's fun and it's ironic.
Speaker 1: That is awesome.
Speaker 2: But that's and I think that's I already had a couple of fun facts on this one because we've already mentioned some of the stuff.
Speaker 1: So yeah, mate, thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Pleasure.
Speaker 2: This is you know, it's always an investment, whether you're watching the ninety minute. The Castle was one of the reasons Sampang chose it or a two and a half hour top poor Thomas Anderson film.
Speaker 1: I was stoked you chose this because I I do love this film.
Speaker 6: Great film, mate, great podcast, Kis.
Speaker 1: Beck, thanks for thanks for your efforts as well.
Speaker 6: Shorter discussion with Beck.
Speaker 2: Thank Bee, Yes radioheads Johnny Greenwood on a stunning score. It wasn't nominated for an Oscar because of a technicality it featured some previously published work that he had done for the BBC. It was quite obscure the work that he had done, but it kind of breached one of the one of the guidelines to be nominated for an Oscar. So Johnny Greenwood missing out on the Oscar nomination he should have been nominated. Daniel Dave Lewis of course taking out the Best Actor nod. Thanks for my podcast manager Derek Meyers for all he's stitching together of these episodes and he does an amazing job. Castways Studios dot com dot au get along. If you want to start a podcast, Derek is your man. The studios are getting bigger and bigger, and that there's a turntable in the studio now and a bar, so that's all you need to know. Also, Yasney podcast at gmail dot com. Yasney as in NUEE Nothing Yet podcast at gmail dot com. This is the best place to get me to give me feedback on the podcast. Somebody will try to get me through Twitter and Instagram message me on those forums.
Speaker 1: That's fine.
Speaker 2: You can keep doing that, but sometimes I won't always see them, or i'll see them, then they'll get lost. Somebody did contact me via Instagram just to let me know that I did get a bit of a fact wrong recently, when I chatted the myth and Warhurst and we chatted at Magnolia and I have a fine poor Thomas Anderson film, I mentioned that Tom Cruise received his only Oscar non for Magnolia. That was incorrect, and as soon as he pointed out and I was like, yes, I should have known this. Tom Cruise was also nominated for Born on the fourth of July. We played wrong Kovac returning from the Vietnam War. It was a wonderful performance, and he was nominated for that, so I do apologize. I think he was also nominated for Tropic Thunder weirdly, so I I apologize. He was also nominated for Jerry McGuire, so maybe he didn't wasn't nominated for Tropic Thunder he should have been.
Speaker 1: He should have been.
Speaker 2: But he was definitely nominated for Jerry McGuire and Born the fourth of July, so thank you for pointing that out. I just want to add one more thing about Andy Lee. He does quite a lot of philanthropic work, and he's doing some really important work with Oxfam and cotton On at the moment where they are trying to raise money and get enough vaccines. I think there are after a million vaccines to send to countries in the world that are struggling to get on top of the pandemic.
Speaker 1: So if you want to help, I don't actually.
Speaker 2: Have all the details on me, but just the follow Andy, or go to Oxfam or cotton On and find out it's basically buying tope bags and cotton On and all the proceeds go to providing vaccines to those who who need it most, because we're not all safe until everybody's safe. So what I'm Andy for getting on board with that really great endeavor next week on the show, it's a big one. My second wife. When I say my second wife, I mean my TV wife from How to Stay Married, Australia's TV Golden Girl four gold logis, which I'm pretty sure it might be a record. Maybe Kylie Minogue has her pecked. I'll need to check that. But Lisa mckewne, the fantastic, brilliant Lisa McCune will be joining me on the show next week to chat about Stanley Kubrick's war masterpiece Full Metal Jacket. Yes, I know what you're thinking. Finally, Lisa mckun talks about Full Metal. I cannot wait to watch it. I have not watched it in years, and I cannot wait to find what Lisa thinks of it. She is an absolute gem. I'm sure we're gonna have a great chat and I can't wait for you to join us for that. Until then, Bye for now, and so we
Speaker 6: Leave old Pete save Lansus, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.