Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by quantas the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again this season, Quantus is proud to be flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. Hello everyone, welcome to the Young Playbook Podcast. Big episode coming out for you today with two special guests. But first let's bring in our ever reliable co host Kane Richardson.
Speaker 2: How's it going today?
Speaker 3: Mate?
Speaker 4: It's good, Josh. Good to be back. Less to talk about for Australia this week.
Speaker 5: The boys at home and in their own beds unfortunately, So yeah, looking forward to this and showing the fart about some teams who probably don't normally get to talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, massive episode coming up today. We've got two special guests, as I've mentioned off for the top, Pommey and Bangwa, the legendary broadcaster from Zimbabwe.
Speaker 2: He's over there in India, so.
Speaker 1: He's going to give us a bit of a lowdown on what's happening in that tournament post Australia. And then we've also got Xavier Doherty, the World Cup winning spinner. Now Match referee. He's going to be joining the show a bit later to talk about some state stuff and what happened back in his day and his views on spin bowling in Australia at the minute, which has been a bit of a talking point after the Ashes series.
Speaker 4: Did you say match referee?
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: I wasn't aware of that. When did that happen?
Speaker 2: Just this season?
Speaker 1: He'll fill you in in just a few moments.
Speaker 3: Rich.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's moved into a new phase of his cricketing life.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's something you could look at it down the track.
Speaker 4: Hadn't thought about it? That was a David Boone thing, wasn't it? He for years.
Speaker 5: I don't know if he still does, but yeah, there you go. Probably guys think about umpiring and media and stuff, but probably come for your seats in the match. So look forward to hearing from X.
Speaker 1: Let's start with the weekly winner. We didn't do it last week because there wasn't a lot to cheer about, but this week I just think we've got a few things, so why don't we start with your winner of this week Again?
Speaker 5: This segment's always teetering on the edge of surviving every week, so I've given it some thought with that note that we want to keep the weekly winner going, so I had too just in case you went first. But I'll go to Sammy Harper for mine. For his shield exploits. I don't know if it was in the past week since we last recorded, but I'll go with it anyway, one hundred and nineteen and one hundred and forty one not out over in the West, carrying on his BBL form where he was striking at obscene numbers and ended my career on Boxing Day. So I'll always have a little sweet feeling for Sammy Harfer about doing that. But yeah, he's exploits in that game. He's obviously as I said, continued his form on from BBL, So a worthy weekly winner.
Speaker 1: For mine, definitely, and twin tons in shefferd Shard cricket is pretty rare. Something happened five times in the past decade, So can you name them? I did look them up earlier in the week. There was Jake Weatherold, Alex Dolan, Sam Constace and Daniel Hughes. There are only four others to do it, so joins a pretty select group, there, doesn't.
Speaker 5: He absolutely yeah, and has thrown up to the top of the order as well, so to do it in unfamiliar somewhat standing in the order. So he's obviously just on the top of his game and he's getting to that age now where he can really be confident in what he's doing. So Victoria just flying, aren't they, And just another guy who's batting well.
Speaker 1: For them And to all those batters who say, oh, opening, it's the hardest position. He's gone up there and he's just made it look easy.
Speaker 5: And on the back of Travor's head basically all summer talking about how easy it was. So those old rusted openers, yeah, they stocks are down at the moment, aren't they? For you know, the one hundred years of Kreuger. How they've said how hard it is. It's basically everyone's thrown that scrap book out and starting again smoking mirrors.
Speaker 1: It's dissipated all of a sudden, the smoke screens down. So sorry, Openers, not a good look my weekly winner I've gone for. Mitchell Stark slotted into the Channel seven broadcast yesterday as we record this in Brisbane and just absolutely looked the piece, didn't there. He just says all the right things. He's a smooth, smooth, smooth operator. And when he does eventually hang up the boots in all three formats, he's got that commentary gig lined up.
Speaker 5: I Reckon naturally lends itself done. Know the greats always tend to have a good insight into the game. But also, I mean he's for the women's side of the game. Well, to have your wife who's played as much cricket as a Lissa has, so he's got good insights into, you know, the different forms of male and female crickets. So he just loves cricket, doesn't He retires from t twenties and then I'm not going to stay at home and unwind. I'm going to go hit the com box and too around with the females. Obviously he's doing it to see a Lissa as much as he can. So yeah, but you're right, natural, I'm not sure he loves the attention though, so maybe we'll have to work on that. He always tends to know, likes, you know, kind of just flying under.
Speaker 4: The radar a little bit, so.
Speaker 5: Maybe he wants to get himself out there a bit more. So good stuff for Starcky.
Speaker 1: Well, he can get the co commentator is to you know, ask him good questions about his career and stuff, but he normally tends to you know, yeah shy away from that sort of stuff, doesn't he. So maybe he'll be looking to do the lead calling in future. Go down the Adam gilchristpath.
Speaker 5: The captain of the commentary team. Yeah, a similar to you and this set up. I don't think you have to give him some tips and advice on that.
Speaker 1: It's stucky. I know he listens to it. To the fold car. All right, let's take a quick break and to get a word from our sponsors and when we come back, we'll be talking to broadcaster Pammy and Bangwa all the way from Mumbai. Well, interest has diminished in Australia since Australia were knocked out of the T twenty World Cup, but there's still plenty going on in India and Sri Lanka. So we've called in broadcasting royalty Pommy and Bangwa to give us the update. Welcome to the Unplayable Podcast, Pummy, Hey Joe, a very well, thank you mate. Now, this tournament has already thrown up quite a few surprises, but it must be tough to go past Zimbabwe beating Australia in terms of your favorite so.
Speaker 6: Far, Yeah, it would be a favorite, but kind of I wouldn't and I'm not diminishing that in any way when they say it's kind of doubly good in that they then beat Sri Lanka and top that group with nobody even talking about them prior to the tournament. And I suppose correctly so, because I mean, if you are to pick out which sides would come out of that group, you'd go for Sri Lanka, who are at home, and you'd go for Australia, both who are former champions. And Zimbabwe struggles, you know, in terms of the tournaments and so forth, have been there for all to see. So yeah, expectation of maybe an upset, but then not a couple of wins like that and then ending up being the team that kind of qualifies as number one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was absolutely fantastic to say from a neutral point of view. There's also that incredible super o double super over between South Africa and Afghanistan.
Speaker 2: Who saw that coming?
Speaker 6: Nobody did, and I wonder if that kind of hardened South Africa just a little bit. And not to say that they needed to aren't tough enough as a side, but I think because they've got so much experience and because when anyone looked at that group, they would have felt that, you know what, there's the expectation that Afghanistan could also go through with the World Cup being in the subcontinent, and you kind of needed to get past them. And yeah, I reckon the most most exciting TEA twenty World Cup game ever because even if it was there astrue it just a drama, was ridiculous, And I was actually doing another game. I was over in Colombo doing another game and could hardly keep a watch what was going on in our game as the other one went from.
Speaker 3: Like, Okay, this one's done, they're going to win and then.
Speaker 7: Hold on super over, hold on another super over and what's good? Only can we stop this one? Can we watch that One's a yeah? Fantastic game. And South Africa have gone on from strength to strength from that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what's your of you? Do you think this could be South Africa's you? They've been getting closer and closer at all these i SA tournaments. Obviously won the World Test Championship final. Are they just getting close to that white ball title?
Speaker 8: As well, I.
Speaker 3: Think you look at their team.
Speaker 6: You could have said this of them last time around, but I think gets kind of reinforced this time around, where if you look at their team, what they have is the experience of the conditions here in India because many of them play in IPL and they're not bits and pieces players. And when by bits and pieces of that, I mean they don't kind of get bits and pieces of opportunities when they're in the teams in the IPL teams. They're actually big players in all the IPL sides that they're in and they get actual opportunity and are relied upon to try and win games for them. So they've been in the big boads. They've been in just about every stadium that they're playing in, and they've therefore been able to somewhat appreciate and try and handle the pressure that's before them with the big crowds, and that's what they're going to have to handle the year. They seem to handle it pretty well against India despite being you know, before one hundreds and twenty thous on people. So yeah, you could say that, but you know how there's tournament cricket that you've got to put it together. When accounts knock out all of that is when we're really going to see whether they can. But coming here, actually I felt that India, South Africa, West Indies, I think.
Speaker 3: Now and it's just a long way out still, I believe now.
Speaker 6: The other team that you're looking at and they're going hold on they'll be dangerous is probably England because they're not playing as well as they'd like, you know, yeah, but they're still coming through games and.
Speaker 3: They might well they might well win win in the edge, you know what I'm saying. So yeah, let's see how they go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if things click for England, it could really be danger signs for the rest of the tournament.
Speaker 8: I suppose.
Speaker 1: In terms of India, they had that big loss to South Africa that you alluded to there in a meta bad it's the first tournament without row here to without Koli. Is this a danger sign for India or is that the nature of T twenty cricket where you can have an off.
Speaker 6: Day side But I think they'll admit that they're not necessarily playing as well as they kind of a couple of players not quite informed. Their skipper wasn't informed when they came in to the tournament. But he's finally got some runs. But the tournament hasn't gone as well as they'd lie. I mean, you think about that first game against the USA. They were put under the pump, and if Sky doesn't get those runs and they don't, they don't win. And I hate saying things like that because of course he's supposed to get them. Someone's supposed to bail them out. They're all in the team. They were all supposed to try and perform and get their runs and then you know, kind of formulate the win then, but it's a first loss for them in you're trying to walk up since last year, since two years ago they went and beaten and won it, and we're kind of just carrying on and suddenly they've taken it and it wasn't a slight beating.
Speaker 3: They were absolutely well.
Speaker 6: So can they come back from that is the question, and not just a question from a you know, they're good enough players. Of course, they are fantastic players, but suddenly the pressure is on them and they can't put a foot wrong. And unlike in the group stage, even when playing against Zimbabwe, if they give Zimbabwe an opportunity, Zimbabwe, you know, might turn them over. So can they kind of tread well, tread surely and ensure that they win against Zim and then they still have to win against a West Indiest side that's looking particularly good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, so, yeah, let's see how that goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the West Indies put on a huge score against Zimbabwe just the other night, but to make the Super rights must be a massive thing for Zimbabwe.
Speaker 2: What will this do for crickets?
Speaker 1: Do you think in the country, You're just always trying to take steps forward.
Speaker 6: You want to be at the at the big table, the big boys table, and winning. And by that I don't mean I mean Zimbabwe's not tested or they've had tested us since nineteen ninety three, but they've kind of fits and starts in terms of momentum for a little bit. You know, do well in one and people sort of look and then you don't and people avert their eyes. And so you want to kind of be playing at this level, even though the West Indies actually the chances inm batwere, but that's the pressure you want to be under. And here they get an opportunity in three games. Now there's the possibility it happens that way in three games in a row. But it still does a great deal for the players that are there to understand and feel the intensity of playing against those sides. And you want it to not remain as something foreign, but something that you're continually experiencing, because then you raise yourself to the level and you don't have an option. You have to something that is impossible to simulate or to replicate, and in practice is you know the pressure of big teams, good teams and the level that you're supposed to be at. So you think you're stretching this out. You think you're going as hard and as well as you can, but it's not quite there. And then suddenly, I mean, you can't find a legislate for adrenaline, for instance, you can't do twenty five thirty thousand people in a stadium. You know you've got to be there for that to be able to experience that. So, yeah, I think it'll do good things. It'll get people, more people interested, it'll get more people wanting to get a taste of bad and yeah, I hope the team can go from strength to strength with this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've got some absolute matchment. It is always good to watch the sort of players playing. Now everyone in Australia. He has had their say on what went wrong for a Stridia, So it might be good to get an objective point of view from someone like yourself. Where did things not quite go right for Stride do you think?
Speaker 6: And look at the Australian side, I mean champion players, but perhaps just no form. Again, Travis's head goes into the tournament without form, then you go with the injury. Such an important part of that Australian side is Travis Headen and Mitchell Marsh at the top and then the injuries also, like to to Hazel Ward is such an important player.
Speaker 3: So hold this joint to the fair as they go in. And I don't think that.
Speaker 6: The start in Sri Lanka was helpful to the Australians. I think the planning might not quite have been up to par and maybe just from a slight oversight, which I believe is right from the US.
Speaker 3: He's actually a slight overside.
Speaker 6: If you look at the team that they had, they kind of had some resources and we want ployees who can play spin. Smith was left behind because of that. You know, they had the top okay, because that's where he'd been batting, and so they didn't want to go with, you know, with the same sort of players, so.
Speaker 3: He marsh they're going to play every time.
Speaker 6: And if you have Smith as well, if you kind of to bat you know, number one or number two, because that's where he's been dating, you probably could put him in at number three, which would have probably been a better move now when you think about it in hindsight.
Speaker 3: But that's easy, right, we can. We can say that now. But when I.
Speaker 6: Look at Cameron Green, when I look at the hitters that are in the side, they need the harder, faster wickets, even if I say harder than Sri Lanka, which exists here in India. That's kind of what they would have wanted and would have felt rightly. So championside that they'll get through the group and then they'll deal with all of that when they get to India and play at one kid Is and play at Chennai which has got lots of runs this time around, and play at Delhi which is small, hard and you can wax sixes, but you got to get through the slower of.
Speaker 3: Sri Lanka first.
Speaker 6: So yeah, that kind of it happens, man, like you can get derailed it even to the best of them. Think of football World Cups where main teams pop, you know, pop out of the group stage. What's going on and all of this, it's perhaps an opportunity to kind of just have a look one to know that come in Stark Hazelwood, that trio who've been so fantastic.
Speaker 3: It's coming to an and it comes to an end for everybody.
Speaker 6: Think back to Gillespie Lee McGrath together, you know, and when that happened, it was like, oh what And as I think about it, actually from them to these guys, right, So yeah, so that's a long time going and that happens whether it's the bowling side or the or the batting side.
Speaker 3: And maybe Australia is in that time.
Speaker 1: Man, Tommy, really appreciate your time.
Speaker 8: Mate.
Speaker 1: Before we let you go, do you want to stick your neck out and tell us who are the two teams are the game?
Speaker 2: The final?
Speaker 6: I started off before the tournament, I said, India, South Africa. I'm wondering now, I'm not sure now I think South Africa has still be in the final. I'm not too sure about West Indies. But the three teams are the four teams I'm looking at. I can't do too I'm gonna go West Indians, South Africa, England, India.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are the four teams I'm looking at. Might be wrong, I mean, you coming wrong. I don't mind be knowing because.
Speaker 6: I always think I wonder Paki style you sneak up on everyone.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but that's.
Speaker 6: Why we love it, right, because you go according to the fore or whatever. But in tournament picket, it's not how you start, it's what happens right at the back end.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's how it goes.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Thank you for your time, mate, and enjoy the rest of the tournament.
Speaker 3: All right, cheers job, So there you go.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Pommy and Bangala for joining us from the breakfast room at his hotel there. He was just about to jump on a flight to Chennai, so we appreciate him making the time. And yeah, those scrambled eggs they sounded good in the background. But yeah, I'm interested your thoughts here, Richo. He's a big fan of England, big fan of the West Indies. Does that sort of line up with what you're thinking as far as this tournament goes.
Speaker 5: Well, it's anyone's now, isn't it, Especially with what we've seen in the last few days with India's first game against South Africa in the group stages, so it's really blown the race wide open.
Speaker 4: They were my pick last week South Africa.
Speaker 5: So I did had a bit of a head webb when I saw that scorecard when I work up. But I also stupidly said Nicholas Puren was batting well for the West Indies. He actually isn't playing in the World Cup, is he. So I've riscen that comment. I think I might have had a dream that he came out of retirement, but obviously that was someone else. Yeah, boots on the ground tend to know a bit better than what we do back here, so I dares England surprised me a little bit. But you're also what he said was they're not playing that well and they're winning, which is always a good sign.
Speaker 4: And that's.
Speaker 5: Historically Australian teams have always had that motto as long as they're doing enough in this stage of World Cups and then you kind of want to play your best cricket when the whips are cracking in the finals. So hurst to say, but he's probably right. I think, yeah, they're the ones West Indies again, batting well, they two hundred and fifty the other night against Himbabwe, so they're in form. And yes, so Africa India is the one if they can still manage to make it, which obviously can, but it's going to be hard.
Speaker 4: So they're probably the four, aren't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the West Indies they just have so much firepower, but they do seem like a side that if they're off they're going to be totally hopeless, but when they're on, they're sort of unbeatable, aren't they. So yeah, they're highs and lows. There's a big difference between the two.
Speaker 5: Well that's common West Indies kind of trade as well, isn't it. Playing against them is the predictable nature, especially if they're batting like it's always been the last twenty years have been powerhouse in terms of they could make it two undred and fifty. But yeah, I guess with that is the double edged sword of when it doesn't go well. So their bowling is still doing enough as well. It's hanging in there and staying competitive. And again the toss in those conditions is going to be crucial, crucial factor. If they managed to chase you know, at Murewai or these grounds where they're small and jew comes in, then it's going to be I mean, it's going to be all in their favor.
Speaker 4: So it's going to be a thrilling finish for sure.
Speaker 1: And from the England point of view, Harry Brook the captain, he hadn't made a lot of runs, but then he got that century against Pakistan. They got there with five balls to spare in a big chase. It's not great from a strain point of view to see the English doing well, but it just feels like they are starting to find that momentum and they might try to get things to click as we head into the business end.
Speaker 5: And I think for someone like that, making runs as well is such a big part of that because he's middle order player, is one of the better middle order batsman in the world. So to have him hitting some form now, as we said, as we start to get to the business end, is.
Speaker 4: Such a crucial part of it.
Speaker 5: That they're batting order again throughout most of these teams are when you look at their batting order, they're going to be stacked. But there's some players there that haven't fired a shot yet that we know world beaters and some of the best in the world at T twenty cricket. So I guess that's what Pommy's talking about, isn't it That they've got so much room for improvement and they haven't really shown it yet and they're still winning. So as much as we had it as Australians, our time has come and gone. The ashes are gone, so we've got to move on. And they think when in the World Tea twenty and then so beare it? We'll be fine now.
Speaker 1: I post it to pomme that given this is the first tournament that India are playing without row Hit and without vier At, is at the start of a new era, and are they still you know, the team to be? They lost in a Metabad again, which is only the second time after or the first time after they lost Australia in that ODO World Cup final, and it just feels like there's definitely a different vibrun on this Indian So obviously there's still a lot of match winners in there, but do they still have the do they still know how to win without those senior heads in that group?
Speaker 4: What was this kind of take on that?
Speaker 1: Well, he said they're still powerhouse and they can still do it. And they've of course got Jasper Bumer, so with him in their side, that's four free overs basically.
Speaker 4: Exactly, you've still got that guy.
Speaker 5: I think the beauty of what they always have in their favorites of the IPL, like how it was going to keep unneerthing that next generation of cricketer, and we've seen it with you know, the abershek coming in and guys like that who you wouldn't normally see get an opportunity probably until later in their careers. All of a sudden they've played fifty sixty IPL games, which are the equivalent of international games, with the pressure that they're under and he's been flying, so it is a good point. It probably lacks leadership on field when things are going wrong. You would also you would love to look around and see 're out and Row hit there or one of them be captain calling the shots. You know, again, they've won IPLs, they've won World Cups. They've done it when it matters. So that's without knowing exactly in the sanctum, I would dare say that's when they're missed the most. Obviously they're batting as well, but having that calm leadership on field and that passion.
Speaker 4: That Via brings.
Speaker 5: They're definitely going to take a while to replace that, but no doubt this next generation will at some point.
Speaker 1: Okay, well yeah, there are some really exciting games coming up. We've got West Indies against South Africa tonight, India and Zimbabwe also that's on Thursday night, and then England take on New Zealand on Friday night. I reckon that'll be a really interesting one as well because the keyways. While they're perennial semi finalists, it seems like at ICC tournament, so they might also find a way to sneak their way into the final four.
Speaker 4: And no one spoken about them as as usual.
Speaker 5: Yeah, every year or every edition of a either a fifty year or a T twenty World Cup, they find a way. It's always their semi finalist, final cockroach. You just can't kill them. They just come back. So we do enjoy their work as well because there there are neighbors, aren't they.
Speaker 1: We have to look after them, we do. Let's move on to some test stuff then. Some news this week that Australia's toured to South Africa to happen later this year. The dates have been announced they're going to play three od i's and three Test matches, the first time the Test team has returned since the sandpaper scandal in twenty eighteen, so it's been a long time between drinks. And those Test matches are going to be in Durban, they're going to be in Port Elizabeth now known as Gerberja and Cape Town of course the scene of the crime. So three very interesting scenarios and it's going to be a really good series to watch, isn't that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is the two World Test Championship finalists, so there's that little aspect of it as well, but also nice for the Aussies to get back into the swing of Test cricket after what we saw in the Ashes. You know, you've got the Northern Test coming up and then into that, so crickets cricket watching dream South African Test matches are always great to watch. There's always something happening in the games, are never boring. There's always enough in it. For bowlers there similar conditions to Australia, but yeah, there's always enough. And as you say, you had that intrigue of not touring in will about eight years, well over eight years since that, which is weird how the world or the future tourist program works. When you've got it feels like we're playing every other team all the time, and then you don't go to STAFFCA to play test series for eight years is a bit silly because they always are such spicy encounters.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's one look forward to.
Speaker 1: But I mean they're both spicy on the field, but also the crowd seem to be pretty ferocious over there. I mean I haven't been you've played over there in South Africa? Did you feel that when you were there? And do you think it's going to be the case again when they return the Aussies?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, no doubt it would be the case again. There was that series. It wasn't just sandpaper. But remember Robarda was elbowing I think from memory of that same series where he got did he get suspended again for elbowing or you got to find or find which we don't tend to see in cricket, do we. And then we had all the other stuff that was going on with the crowd, some of you know, the dress ups and the way they just get into the game is very similar to the way Australian crowds do it. So I think it's it's similar in terms of they hate Australia, they want to beat us. And I remember touring and now back two years ago, just before COVID, we're playing up in Potchefstrom and it's again they don't they didn't get a heap of cricket at that time, so they had one ODII and they made the most.
Speaker 4: Of that hundred overs that day I play.
Speaker 5: I think it was the last ODEI I ever played, and I'm pretty happy getting off that field.
Speaker 4: And never playing again.
Speaker 5: The way I got spoken to on the boundary so wow, okay, yeah, but again all in good spirit, but it's just relentless yeah.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I suppose there was also in that tour what there was the on field stuff and then there was all stuff on the stair or in the stairwevels between the two teams. So there must be some grounds where those change rooms sort of are really close to overlapping with each other.
Speaker 5: Well, I think from memory that was Port Elizabeth, which is now known as Geber.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I didn't want to say, but you say a lot better.
Speaker 2: I did a bit of research this morning.
Speaker 5: Google translated yeah pronunciation yeah.
Speaker 4: From memory, the.
Speaker 5: Stairs are based on the same and then the change rooms go the separate way. So I don't know if they've redeveloped the ground since then. But the tunnel vision, the tunnel came yeah, hot property. Maybe they can live stream that, you know, press red on your remote and you get the stairwell vision as well. So but obviously personnel, I've probably changed slightly. They with some of the key figures in that stoush, So.
Speaker 1: The chances of us seeing faft dips in the towel again they're probably pretty slam Well.
Speaker 5: You never know, he might come out of retirement. As I said, I had this dream about Paran doing it. Maybe Fat will come back for this series, Quinny de Cock, Davey Warner. Maybe yeah, okay, maybe the band will get back together and we'll reignite the rivalry.
Speaker 1: On your Paran coming. I did have to also say that I was a fan of Schlanker's chances this tournament, and then since then they've lost to Zimbabwe and then they lost again the other night.
Speaker 5: But at least they are there competing, so I feel like you don't even try and make the two but he's not even in I don't know where he is. He's probably off playing somewhere playing golf or something, so at least you were somewhat.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay the women's series, India won the T twenties two to one, and now Australia have won the first ODI. Yeah, Alan Borderfield by six wickets with more than ten overs to spare, they got those runs. Alissa Herely came back with fifty. Beth Moon you got seventy six. Annabelle Sutherland was forty eight not out. I feel like she's a been under utilized in that T twenty side. She's so far down the order. You know, we're all thinking along the lines of Louis Cameron. She's the Blinda Clark medalist, So let's get her up the order, get her into the game.
Speaker 2: Maybe Dozsies could look to do what they did with Tim David in.
Speaker 1: The men's side and get a really powerhouse player further up that order. And then we yeah, also had intral Stark on com so there's lots to talk about there. The Scoop podcast they do it really well. Run A Hussein and Molly Strano, they cover off this series really well. So jump over there. If you're interested, just for the Scoop Cricket podcast on all the podcast platforms. Sarah Cooy is this week's special guest and she's got an unbelievable record in the WNCL as well as a very fine international career about a decade ago now, but she's richo. She's played in ten WNCL finals across three states, New South Wales, South Australia and Tasmania and she's won them all and now she's qualified for her eleventh this season.
Speaker 2: He'd be a brave person the better, but against her.
Speaker 4: Good luck charm ten from ten that's you know how they get rings in. Yeah, she's got.
Speaker 2: Everythinger and move on to her tones.
Speaker 5: Yeah well yeah, the good point I was going to say, she almost doesn't need to play this because she's got nothing left to it.
Speaker 4: But you're right, you can get toe rings gunning.
Speaker 5: So that's an amazing record that'd be unrivaled in any sporting code in the world. So to go eleven for eleven New South Wales, good chance that they win with her and the team. So yeah, incredible start.
Speaker 1: And I found it incredible that, as you'll hear when you listen to that interview, that she's away from the game to keep fit. She's a gym trainer, she does crossfitch, she does high rocks, all those sort of really intense physical performances. I know you love that side of the game as well, but that's how she keeps going and keeps fitting, keeps active.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: She would be similar age to what I am, if not a little bit. And she's still playing. And I said last week Jackson Bird, Peter Siddle, all those guys you got to admire, so Cody to still be playing. I do remember when she was in South Strala, she'd always be in the gym just pumping. And like some of our guys, myself included, would not want to be in the gym when she is because she would definitely upstages. So yeah, I mean amazing chat to have her insights and again that record that she speaks of unrivaled, so tune into that absolutely.
Speaker 1: Now let's move on to the big four this week, Richard. I posted to you just yesterday that we wanted to get your big four this week, and the big four I want to get from you is the best bowling actions that you've seen.
Speaker 2: So who's on the list.
Speaker 5: So when you say best. You mean my take on if I saw someone bowling, I would I wish I could bowl like that, like most beautiful robotic technique.
Speaker 1: Well not that robotic, maybe smooth maybe you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, so built in a lab kind of thing if you're going to pick your.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, is that sort of what you went for?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 5: It was, but I had a backup just in case you were after something slightly more unique, because everyone has different.
Speaker 2: Tastes unique bowling actions.
Speaker 5: Well, you could say good, bad, and ugly, but we won't say ugly. So I've gone a couple of all timers and then a couple of current players that that I enjoy. So my all timers are Brettley.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I tried to emulate that in the backyard all the time, and certainly the celebration as well that came with it. But again, if I was to say a guy was born in the lab to bowl, the action, the way you ran in everything was towards the batsman, and that's what we talk about as bowl as. We want everything on towards the batsman.
Speaker 1: So he was So you see your number four number, he's my number.
Speaker 5: Well, there's no number one and four they're all in the same group, right, but he's an all timer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that that celebration the chainsaw. Did you ever bring that out? Only not just in the backyard, but on game only.
Speaker 4: In the backyard.
Speaker 5: I was never cool enough to do that, so only in the backyard, but I definitely did it all the time. My second one is Shane Bond, and personally for me, so the way I just loved Shane, but he was probably my favorite ball of growing up. I had the poster brittley, but I wanted to bowl like Shane Bond the way he swung the ball, but the way he tormented Australia, but the way his action was I think it was just perfect rhythmic one hundred and forty five in swingers destroying Australia in those old One Day Series where basically every year was New Zealand out here playing god cricket against Australia. So they're my two all timers.
Speaker 1: And then and the ball would be brown by the end of the reverse.
Speaker 5: Reverse swing in swingers, yorkers back in the hand, slow balls six.
Speaker 4: For every game, like just a genius. So I loved his work.
Speaker 5: And then from the current crop, Marley Beardman, really Jordan Buckingham, I think they're the two that really okay, I just remember Bucky reminds me a little bit of Dale Stain and I could have easily had him in the list, but I thought I'll give the current crops some love. Bidman from what I've seen live. And then also I remember Cree dot Com put up him bowling in the nets on the Aussie Camp last year. I just kept watching that on Loop. I was like, this kid is this is just beautiful. Just the way he again run the run up is everything. And then I've got a couple of honorable mentions Josh Racher, Yeah yeah, just natural rhythmic, just strolls in, effortless strolls in. And then one that's going to raise some eyebrows mohammed.
Speaker 2: Shammy, hum much Shammy. Yeah, okay, because.
Speaker 5: He looks like it hurts every single time, but again runs in, never looks fit, never looks like yeah.
Speaker 4: He sort of wattles in, wattles in like stutters. Every ball looks different.
Speaker 5: One hundred and forty five K's on a dime reverse swing swing, just a genius. So I always look they're probably the bowlers I love watching the most over over.
Speaker 1: The time at his very best with the White Ball of Shamy. Just unplayable, isn't it? And can send it both ways.
Speaker 5: And even in Tescary the limited stuff we saw, but just always seemed to get the job done. But I just love the way he waddled in and got it down there.
Speaker 1: So so does come into this sort of conversation or not?
Speaker 5: Really, that's what the unique category. I had some names there and he's obviously one. Yeah, who else you nolinga? Yeah, Paul Adams going back a bit for people who wouldn't know, but Spinner from South Africa, Frog and a Blendo?
Speaker 4: Is that were they his nickname was for a long time.
Speaker 2: Give us a demonstration.
Speaker 5: Wow, it was kind of his head went one way and his arm followed somehow lower than what his head was. Zaman Khan is another one from the BBL exploits. And there's another one I'll show you a quick glimpse of. But this is a guy from the IPL back in twenty sixteen. I remember watching on in my hotel. Oh course, shik course shik Yeah, okay, yep. Did he play for their one? That's the old Gujarrat Yeah, rans I think, but they're the they're the unique category.
Speaker 1: So we're going to have to get that picture up on our socials so the listeners can hear. But yeah, cour shik, I do remember vague memories of very unusual, sort of uncomfortable looking at.
Speaker 4: Very hurt watching it, laying in bed at hurt.
Speaker 5: So I don't know if he kicked on and played more ip off he still plays somewhere, but maybe that's a deep dovel do after the pod. But yeah, I've gone both categories there. I really covered basis, So no captains cool needed this week.
Speaker 3: Very good.
Speaker 2: But that's what I like to hear.
Speaker 1: And if you do want to submit your favorite or most unique bolling actions, get them into podcasts at cricket dot com dot you or on the cricket dot com dot you Instagram page. That's where you can hit us up and let us know.
Speaker 5: So give me some feedback. Who have I missed? Have I missed anyone? Top of the head you said boom rather is probably.
Speaker 1: The only I thought you would have gone with your old mate Frankie warrel In there with that run up, and.
Speaker 5: But it's pretty, it's pretty, I mean it was, it's he's straight up now it used to be from.
Speaker 2: Middle oh, so because he's straightened, it's pretty.
Speaker 4: Running, it's run of the mill, it's it's a good bowling. That's it.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's take a quick nod to our sponsors and then we'll come back with zav Doherty, the new match referee and the former Australians played out to be joined by former Australian and Tasmanian spinner Xavier Doherty.
Speaker 9: Welcome to the Unplavable podcast. Mate, how are you, thanks, Josh. Yeah, it's great to be with you, really well. Thanks, I've been I've been busy with cricket again this summer, which has been nice. It's I've been out of the game for a little while, so it's been nice to be back in it and talking cricket, which is yeah both, you know, one of the big parts of my life over the journey.
Speaker 8: So yeah, nice to be joining you.
Speaker 1: Well that's a perfect segue because I reckon a lot of eagle eyed fans would have noticed on a few scorecards that the match referee is x Doherty. So how have you got into that and what brought that about?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Like I said, I've been away from the game.
Speaker 9: Ah well, pretty much since I retired from from domestic cricket in like twenty seventeen, I sort of dabbled in coaching and pretty quickly found it wasn't for me, so I went and lived a completely different life for seven or eight years on. I etn't got myself a trade and did something completely different and just enjoyed a normal life for a bit to be honest. But yeah, in the last twelve months I just had myself thinking about what I might like to do and what I might like to do within the game of cricket, and yeah, there was a job advertised through Cricket Australia as a match referee, and yeah, I've sort of been making away a little bit around the country, but mainly based in Hobart, doing hanging around some Shield games and some Second eleven games WNCLWBBL and yeah, even stuck in a BBL game when David Johnson went down late with some illness.
Speaker 8: So it's been a bit of a hectic summer.
Speaker 9: But yeah, one I've really enjoyed seeing it from a different side of the fence and working with the umpires and making sure players are doing all they should be doing. So Yeah, thoroughly enjoyed it being back involved in the game and seeing it in a completely different way.
Speaker 1: Obviously there's a lot of work behind the scenes, but what does it actually entail being a match referee? What are the main things you've got to get done.
Speaker 9: Well, you'll see a lot of the matchreffs at the toss and that's sort of where our day kicks off. I guess, you know, you're sort of it's basically just making sure the game runs as it should. You know, the umpires obviously have a role to do out on the ground, and you know, they do the best they can, and they'll make decisions.
Speaker 8: Most will be right, a few will be wrong.
Speaker 9: You know, we sort of evaluate that at the end of the day and work with the captains just on assessing the umpires, and yeah, just making sure the game runs smoothly basically, and working with the umpires and the captains and the players to make sure everyone's holding up their end of the bargain and curators obviously, and yeah, sort of just watching over the game, you know, I know they do pantous occasionally. We're sitting up there, it looks like we're just we're just cruising through but we are. We are working, I can assure you so. And overrates also play a big part of it. It's it's probably not the most interesting topic, but it certainly plays a big part in the role that we have.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter the format. It seems like we're always talking about over eights. So it's an ever pressent problem.
Speaker 2: Isn't it.
Speaker 8: It is it is.
Speaker 1: I've also noticed that you've been doing some commentary on the Tasmanian matches live streams on cricket dot Com dot Au and ko Sports and Tasmania. They're looking pretty strong in the One Day Cup at the minute, don't they. They're going to host the final on March eleven.
Speaker 8: They are. Yeah, So I've been sort of doing a bit of the last tread.
Speaker 9: When I've had some spare days or spare weeks, I'll pop in and join a few of the i guess the local media celebrities down here in Hobart who sort of call the game, and I'll and I'll go in and give my special comments. But it's again, it's been a good way to sort of be back at the cricket and watching it and for those that tune in an insight into what's going on out in the field.
Speaker 8: So yeah, it's been good. Tasmania have done have done really well in the One Day Cup.
Speaker 9: They were unbeaten until I think for five games and then lost the last two are really close, one against WA and then most recently they got beaten by New South Wales, which is a bit of a thumping to be honest down here in Hobart.
Speaker 8: So they do have a very good team.
Speaker 9: I think that the team they will take into the final will be a little different to the one they put out in the park last time round. So yeah, they look like they're in a good space. They're still still in the hunt for the shield as well Tasmania, so of course I've got to keep neutral and just watch what I say. And yeah, wearing a couple of different hats certainly makes it makes it interesting. But yeah, being able to watch it and bring it to those who tune in being good fun.
Speaker 1: Now, tatany haven't won the One Day Cut for sixteen years, but if we back it up back to your career, you actually won the one they cuts three times according to my research. Does that sound right? It's right, yeah, And one of those titles was a really close one wik at victory over Victoria. The scores are about one fifty one thirty ish and and Duckworth Lewis came into play and you've got four wickets yourself. Can you take us back to that day? It seems like an amazing final.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was like we about that era.
Speaker 9: You know, there was a four or five year span where Arson Victoria just played some really good type one day cricket and hard and it was tough. And you know that Dave Hussy and Hodge and Quiney and all those guys were were Cameron White obviously like that.
Speaker 8: It was a just not that teams aren't now aren't aren't littered with.
Speaker 9: Stars, but it just felt like every battery you came up against was was just another one who's going to give you some headaches when you played Victoria. Yeah, but that that One Day Cup against against the Vicks here in Hobart, I didn't get ma out of the match, which is a bit of source of frustration. Brett Jeeves I think took three for three for thirty and knocked over the top order and made some runs in the meantime when the game was on the line, I ran down the weekend and got stumped off Bryce in the game for a dark so that's probably what cost me. But yeah, it was a tight contest, influenced by the rain. Later it actually snowed what was at mid February, It actually snowed on Mount Wellington later that night. So our celebrations were not so much sitting around in a beer gun somewhere, but tucked away in an old English style pub and celebrating that way because it was it was like a middle of winter.
Speaker 8: It was like middle of winter in the middle of February down here.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious. And so it must have come right down to the way, as you said, Travis bert got thirty seven. Then Ben Hilfenhouse was at the other end. He was the number eleven that day. I had to face two balls and Travis Burke got the job done at the other end.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Well, Bertie was one of those really reliable we didn't play. He might have played the odd game for Australia.
Speaker 8: In the end.
Speaker 9: Bertie played played a few the shortest format for Australia, but like just one of the he was a great cricketer to watch, one of my favorite cricketers to watch Travis Burt so entertaining and so reliable, particularly in the shortest form of the game.
Speaker 8: So yeah, he held us together. As I mentioned, I was not much help.
Speaker 9: I think I faced three balls and then ran down the wicket like a hero and tried to try to get on with it.
Speaker 8: And then hell, yeah he'll who.
Speaker 9: I think that's Health became a really good batter later in his career, but found himself batting at eleven just at that moment, but his improvements were to come. But yeah, importantly for us, he held on long enough. I guess Sane Harwood I reckon would have been those two balls that he had to face. And Hardwood at the time was top of his game, bowling really fast, really fast, and not nice to be facing as a number eleven. So yeah, fortunately for us, Bertie got the job done, and yeah, a little bit of help from Health.
Speaker 1: He mentioned some of those Victorian players there, Dodge Hussy Wife. They also had Andrew McDonald, Michael Klinger, Rob Quiney. Were there any players in particular that you really enjoyed getting out?
Speaker 9: Dave Hussey was no doubt my favorite guy to get out, and not that it happened that often, which is why I actually think I did get him that day in the final, but it didn't.
Speaker 8: It didn't happen very often.
Speaker 9: You know, Dave Hussy absolutely bullied me in all forms of cricket. I played a lot of cricket, a lot of cricket for Australia dominated state cricket Huss, so I ended up playing a little bit of international cricket with him as well, so got to know him away from away from the ground as well. So but yeah, certainly knocking Dave Hussy over was a nice It was a nice moment that day. And yeah, like I said, I'm trying to think of it off the top of my head now, I'm not sure it happened too many other times.
Speaker 8: So yeah, to get it done in the final was nice.
Speaker 1: Well, Huss had a decent run in the eusty side and you had a good period as well yourself, about five years in the one day side and a couple of years in the T twenty side. That included going to the twenty twelve T twenty World Cup, which was the last time that this tournament was held in Sri Lanka similar to this one. At the minute, what is it about playing in Shri Lanka. That just seems so different to playing in others continental places. It just seems like it's a different ball game, even when you're compared to somewhere so close like India.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, people look at Indian cricket and they you know, I watched the Test cricket and they see the wickets spin and bounce and they are really foreign conditions for particularly Australian players. But their one day cricket is not like that. There one day cricket, they're really high scoring matches, fast wickets, smallish grounds. Was in Sri Lanka, the short the T twenty games, particularly in Colombo, all spinning sideways, absolutely spinning sideways that you know, playing on used wickets, reused wickets, damp wickets most of the times there's a heck of a heck of a lot of rain going on.
Speaker 8: I think we played in September.
Speaker 9: Well, we did play in September because my daughter was born mid tournament that that twenty twelve, I ducked home for five days for my daughter to be born, and then I went back to the back to the World Cup.
Speaker 8: So I missed the game.
Speaker 9: But yeah, September, so I was I don't know if that's monsoon season, but I know there was.
Speaker 8: There was quite a bit of rain around and they've had similar for this tournament as well.
Speaker 9: But yeah, the T twenty games, the wickets are really stoppy and sturdy and you know a lot of bounces, as the Aussies found when they when they took on their games at the Prematassa as well.
Speaker 8: So yeah, they really are foreign conditions, even in even in T twenty cricket.
Speaker 1: And I saw it in a few of those scorecards. You were bowling in tend and with Brad Holk, I can't imagine you would have bowling tending with another left arm spinner of too many occasions.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was an interesting one.
Speaker 9: And like I say, I think Glenn Maxwell played in that team as well, and more often than I would have bowled his allotment of over so that probably suggests how, you know, the conditions that we were playing in. Yeah, there was lots of spin beings thrown at us and we tried to sort of combat that a little bit as well, not so successfully when we took on the West Indies eventually, but yeah, that Yeah, Hogy was another guy who you know i'd watch a lot on TV, but you know, never really come you must have to do with him until that tournament, so he had to spend a couple of weeks on tour with Hogie.
Speaker 8: Was certainly very interesting, and yeah, he did quite well.
Speaker 9: He was in his forties by then, or maybe or touching forty, so yeah, a pretty amazing effort for someone of his heat, you know, not to be disrespectful to.
Speaker 8: Be playing at the highest level.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: You should still be out there if that's the if that's okay.
Speaker 9: He's making me look stupid now, isn't he. So yeah, Unfortunately I love watching the game, but my love of playing sort of sort of dwindled a little while ago. So no, he can have that one.
Speaker 1: But you mentioned you played against the Western He's in the semi final. They got the better of you guys on that occasion and they went on to win the tournament. But do you have any memories of that game, particularly because at their very best, the wind Is are an incredible TEA twenty side.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Well, first of all, I had Marlon Samuel's Plumber ll BW early on, which I won't out the umpire, but I didn't do any favors that day, No reviews available, No review I don't think we weren't playing reviews at that time in T twenty cricket, so I didn't have that one to rely on.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it didn't.
Speaker 9: I think George was the captain and sort of tried to get Gail and Pollard and just sort of throw pace at them, which which was good, but it didn't work, which sort of meant that he saved a lot of the spin for later on in the innings. So unfortunately, I found myself bowling the nineteenth and twentieth over and not faring so well against a couple of the biggest hitters in world cricket at that time. So yeah, unfortunately, I think they look like they were going to score sort of one eighty one ninety and eventually you might have the school cut in front of you there. Josh was two twenty ish, I reckon so which in the end was too many for us. So despite playing some pretty good cricket to that point, that's the nature of tournament cricket.
Speaker 8: You have one bad day.
Speaker 9: Or a little five bad five overs and it sort of cost us. So yeah, we found ourselves heading home early.
Speaker 1: Four for two five, so not quite as many as that, but a good score.
Speaker 9: Nonetheless, Yeah, it sort of felt like two twenty when I was out there bowling. It just seemed like every sequment were every ball was going either over over the fence or to it.
Speaker 8: So yeah, it was, it was, it was. It wasn't nice, to be honest, but.
Speaker 9: A bit of a daunting but a but a got a learning a learning period in the cricket no doubt.
Speaker 1: And now that you're back in the cricket scene, you would have watched a fair bit this summer. What are your thoughts on the spin bowling scene at the minute in Australian cricket, particularly the men's side of things. We didn't see a lot of it during the ashes and there's been a lot of green pictures. Where do you think we're going with spin bowling in this country?
Speaker 9: Well, yeah, like you mentioned, I've been doing a bit of the shield streaming down here in hobartn't it like?
Speaker 8: To be honest, you hardly see any spin bowling. You rarely see it.
Speaker 9: You see international spinners playing in the game, but they really bowl, you know. Matt Kerneman has barely bowled for Tasmania this year. We had the new South Wales guys down here last week and Tamby sang A hardly bowled.
Speaker 8: Joel Davies played that and didn't really bowl a lot.
Speaker 9: So it is it is a tough scene for for the spinners, and you know, it felt like it was tough when I was playing. I think it's I think it's got even harder for them to make an impact. So I know that Corey Rocaicelli's doing, you know, really well in Perth. You know, the whacker over the last few years has started to take a bit of spin and you know he's watching him develop and his skill set's been really impressive. Impressive. Todd Murphy, he's obviously he's obviously doing well. And Mitch Webson, you know, got some wickets last week in there in the one day game which was good as well.
Speaker 8: So that and that's the other thing.
Speaker 9: You know, when when one day games sort of get cut back, I think it's down to seven now, you know that's there used to be ten. That's three opportunities where where spinners don't get to sort of be at the forefront and show their skills. But you know, when particularly there's a shortage in Shield cricket, so it is a really tough game and it was it was hard to watch that. And you know, I don't blame the Aussies for not picking a spinner in that that SCG Test. You've got to pick the team that that's that's the best chance of winning it. But it is a shame that we've got to the point where a ground like the s c G, which is so well known for producing top class spin performances, is you know, now you're sort of relying on your part time as so hopefully it comes back.
Speaker 8: And I know the Ossies traveled to India next year, they're.
Speaker 9: Going to be relying on on some spinners to stand up and be counted. And you know, if they are going to be a chance in that series, they'll they'll need to get some games and some time into them and get their confidence up and and be well prepared. So I'm sure Cricket Australia are aware of it and they're doing all they can. But you know, we've got quicks that are at the in the twilight of their career and we can't rely on them forever. So yeah, maybe maybe, and they've been generational, you unbelievable. You know, they'll go down in history as some of the best we've seen, but you know they're not going to be around forever, so we might have to look at other venues of getting twenty wickets in a Test match, So maybe spin will be it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And well you mentioned Rocketcolie and Murphy and swepts in there. Are there any other maybe younger spinners who have caught your eye across this season?
Speaker 8: Younger?
Speaker 9: Well, I know it's been so tough like Tanby sang As a guy who who's particularly played the shorter format and done quite well. But like I mentioned, it's been so hard to get any opportunities in in Shield cricket. It's been tough like Cooney down here in Hobart, you know, I know he's injured for a little a little part of the start of the Shield season.
Speaker 3: Then he goes away.
Speaker 9: With with the Aussies and and and sort of misses an opportunity to play a lot of Shield cricket there as well. So there are some really good spinners out there, so that the cupboards not there. But you know, in an ideal world, you'd like you'd like to see him. Are you getting getting some opportunities bowling a lot of overs, but also a lot of overs when it's spinning, and you know they've got a chance to be a match winner and and put up some some really good numbers. Because for those for those people who don't who don't watch your cricket and they just sort of check in on a scorecard, they'll see that you know, Shwrep's have only got one wicket in the fourth innings or ROCKETCELLI only gets three for the game. But you know, it doesn't sort of reflect their performances. So it's tough going out there. And certainly, look I mentioned they go, when they go to the subcontinent, they'll be have the ball thrown to them in the the fifth over.
Speaker 8: It's like, you know, good luck.
Speaker 9: You know, if we don't have them bowling in similar conditions and that's their first taste of it, it's it's not as easy as it sounds just to flick a switch and start, you know, trying to win a game for your country.
Speaker 8: If you haven't been doing a lot of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right now. Before I let you go, Xavier, I want to ask lots of great lights throughout your career. Part of the World Cup winning squad in twenty fifteen, A baggy green to your name, but surely none of that is as high on your list as taking the first Big Bash hat trick way back.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, well that's it. It was.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately, when everyone gets mentioned, people just keep telling me that that that the last Helby w was missing off stuff.
Speaker 8: It's like, who cares?
Speaker 9: Like it was a sweepshoot that looked out Umpire gave it out. You know, we had we had a full house in Hobart that day. And you know, I think every year when the Big Bats rolls around, it gets it gets a few clips on on Instagram and Facebook and whatever else.
Speaker 8: So my kids love love it. So oh yeah it was. It was certainly a highlight.
Speaker 9: But yeah, as you mentioned, the World Cup and that Ashes series unfortunately didn't go the way that we planned it. But getting a bagg of green was was right up there, as was some of the Shield wins as well.
Speaker 8: You know, I played in the Shield win, which growing up watching Tazzy play.
Speaker 9: And you know I missed out on them winning their first one, so to win in ten or eleven was another high lot as well. So yeah, but yeah, I I feel very fortunate at the end, looking back, it could work quite a few to pick from, So yeah, across all formats.
Speaker 8: So I feel very lucky to have had the cricket journey that I did.
Speaker 1: And I was just scanning through a few scorecards before he chatted some big names that you've taken as well as Ja Warden, sang Takara. Are those sorts any that stick out as favorite wickets you take?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think I got Mahala out a couple of times early where I reckon he just dropped his guard against you know, this young left arm, this young left arm off.
Speaker 8: He so I don't know.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and getting Kumar out, I think I got him out. I think I might have only got him out. I got him out on debut as well. You know, it was actually a really nice ball that he tried to sweep and it was just like the perfect scene to a left hand I like just sort of perfect scene, perfect rotations, and yeah, knocked over his leag stump. So certainly knocking over those two who are again one of the greats of international cricket, particularly in the last sort of thirty years.
Speaker 8: Yeah, certainly right up there.
Speaker 1: Good ones have in the back pocket for sure where's the baggy green? Is it on display or is it tucked away ANISOCTA or somewhere.
Speaker 9: This is funny because I've actually just walked into my bedroom and it's in my It's in my bedside.
Speaker 8: Draw there it is.
Speaker 9: And to be fair, that's the first time it's been dragged out and that's that is the honest truth since since my kids went and grabbed it out, maybe maybe eighteen months ago. So it's not certainly not on display. Maybe it will be one day, but just sits in its bag in the bedside drawer and yeah, really rarely sees the.
Speaker 8: Light of day.
Speaker 2: Don't let them schedule it, mate, and make sure it's taken care of.
Speaker 8: No, I'll look after it. So all good, good stuff.
Speaker 1: I'll appreciate your time. Thanks for the chat and all the best with the match referee and.
Speaker 8: Going forward lovely. Thanks for your time, Josh.
Speaker 1: All right, So that was zab Doughty new match referee and yeah, some really good highlights during his Australian career four Test matches. As he said, there he's keeping the baggy green in the bedside table. At the minute, I would have thought, I mean, this is coming from a very much a non player. But if I played Test cricket, frustrata, I'm having that baggy green on display in a cabinet, in a frame somewhere. You got to know you've got to put it on show, surely.
Speaker 5: On the mantle piece, at least on the bedside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, wouldn't you You would have thought, But nah, his was tucked away neatly and he said he doesn't bring it out ever. So yeah, I guess that's each individual's choice, but I'd be putting it on display.
Speaker 3: I reckon.
Speaker 5: It's a good question to ask passed players when you get them on for future, anyone who's played Test career. I do remember going to have sewn Tate's house ones we were there, it was like a house party and were we'd had a few and I'd asked him where's your baggy and he actually didn't know so and knowing him, he's not lying either.
Speaker 4: He would have no idea where it is.
Speaker 5: So if you live next to an ex Test cricketer, it's a good chance it could be laying around in their backyard to keep an eye on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, A lot of people said to the most prized position but again again, I mean I suppose for some people like Sewn Tates who maybe aren't as obsessed with that sort of thing. It's just another piece of cree kit, Isn't that.
Speaker 4: What it is?
Speaker 5: But it is the most prized in Australia. Is it Australian sport or Australian Well, it's obviously astrain cricket. It'd be up there in Australian sport, up there in world sport.
Speaker 1: Well, there's not that many other similar things.
Speaker 4: Symbolic, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So, but again, like you say, some people their upbringings are a bit different.
Speaker 4: Shawn grew up in.
Speaker 5: The bush and I'm not sure I ever thought he was going to play test cricket, So Travi Head would be another one he finishes playing.
Speaker 4: I wonder what he'll do.
Speaker 5: With his memorabilia because I can't imagine it's going to be on display in the house.
Speaker 1: Well yep, you'd know better than I would. Let's go to the Shield and the domestic side of things. As we touched on with ex Tasmania are into the One Day Cup Final. They're going to play New South Wales on March eleven. It's been sixteen years since Tazzy have won the One Day Cup, in fact since Xavier was playing. So they look good at the minute, but they've lossed their last couple although they will be Both of these teams will be pretty stacked come that final in March eleven, so it's going to be down in Hobart. The Blues just beat them there last week pretty convincingly. Curtis Patterson is on track for one of the most prolific One Day series of all time.
Speaker 2: Who's your pick for this one?
Speaker 5: Well, I did say at the start of the summer that had good feelings about taz May did didn't you? And I may have been talking to Shield Cricket, but let's not worry about that now. So I think at home you say they beat them last week there was a few guys not playing that maybe will in the final. I wonder Nathan Ellis will he be available to play?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 5: And then do new Soth the Wales get their full repertoire players available is with Steve Smith is Mitchell Stark still around, So there's a few questions that need to be answered. But I think if you if you're going off what we saw last week with Tazzy's additions. I know Jordan Silk didn't play, so I still like them and Mitchell and the way he started that innings. If you just didn't manage to nick that one, I think he would have possibly made one hundred and fifty off fifty balls, So they're dangerous Tazzy. But also New South Wales have come really good after the Big Bash, haven't they so, which is interesting with everything that's there off field, how they've kind of turned things around. So it's always good to see New South Wales playing well because there is a famous sign in the change rooms of the SCG when a New South Wales cricket is strong, Australian cricket is strong, and we're starting to see New Southwalest bounce back, so.
Speaker 4: It's good for everyone.
Speaker 1: Is that where that saying comes from?
Speaker 2: The SG?
Speaker 4: It's in the It's Don Bradman signed frame.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 5: I really wanted to steal it and put it up in my shed at home, but I thought it's probably been there one hundred years, so I'm not sure if it's the origins are from that well, it's obviously not from that photo, but it's a famous saying going way back slightly arrogant. But we've all heard the saying though, haven't we. Yeah, it's a famous one. So New South Wales are coming good, so Australia. Australian fans get excited.
Speaker 1: That would be a real power play to bring Stark Smith back. Just parachute them in for the final. It's been done before. Zampa, Zampa, Yeah, what do you Yeah, if you're Greg Shippard and you're in your last match coaching this side, are you wanting to bring those big guns in or are you going to stick with the guys who have got you to that position.
Speaker 5: You're doing whatever you have to do to win you so as much as it would suck for the young guys that played last week and got him into a final, sorry Tanverer Adam or they go to spin and sorry, I don't know who am I missing, but someone else that's probably played all year, that has done really well that doesn't I don't know.
Speaker 8: Won.
Speaker 5: I doubt it happens because I think those guys would probably say no, But watch this space.
Speaker 2: You never know.
Speaker 1: In the Sheffield Shield, the Vicks they are going to host that Shield final. Two rounds still to go and they've already locked it away. So they have just been the dominant team so far this season. Queensland and South Australia battling out for second place at the minute, I mean Tasmania and you said, well, it was still a slim chance of qualifying, but you'd have to say it's between the Bulls and the former Redbacks now at the minute. As you touched on, Sammy Harper was the star of last round with two said trees and yeah, I mean it's really just who's going to make out the numbers. It seems like at the minute the Vics looks super strong. They've got a totally stacked team at the minute, Scott bold And is of course there and we'll be playing all the way through to that final. So can anybody beat them or is it just theirs to lose at this stage?
Speaker 5: Well, when you have the home final, it's yours to lose, isn't it. And to do it with two rounds to go? Is That's an essay was similar last year in terms of how dominant they were in the that's right in the season, but I mean over the course of a five day game, anything can happen in conditions we say are always good for bowling, But when when it is your home ground, do you flatten the wicket and just it's a boring drawer or at least a sporting game.
Speaker 1: I mean, draw isn't enough anymore. You know that's a good point at this point.
Speaker 5: I'm obviously not up with that, but I still think over five days you're going to have a result.
Speaker 4: When guys at the moment.
Speaker 5: Sher Creek goes to three days, doesn't it so to have an extra two days basically to find a result means they will Victoria. Just this, They've got everyone back now, don't they that there's no one missing? Matt Schortz back, Ollie peaks back from under Ninet's who's in their team?
Speaker 4: Scott Bowland? As you said, their bowls are fit so touch would? I mean? If they keep that together, they're going to be hard to beat.
Speaker 2: Glenn Maxwell, Do you bring him back in as well?
Speaker 4: There you go? Has he retired from Forte Cringett? No, he hasn't.
Speaker 5: I'm the wrong person to ask about who's retired news clearly, Yeah, I'm not sure, but embarrassment of Riches and we spoke about their young guys coming through at the start, of the season. How they they've probably got the the most upside with young guys coming through and now they're getting him into the team that's doing well. And you know for our league, Peak's development to playing A she'll final win A, she'll final his age. What benefit they will have later in his career. So yeah, they're an amazing, amazing place going forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, w A.
Speaker 1: They have obviously had a golden generation. They won three titles in a row and two won their Cups. Adam Vogis led them through that whole period. He's going to finish up with them at the end of this season, and it does look like they're going to claim the Wooden Spoon for the second consecutive year. But despite that, he has overseen probably the most dominant period in this state's history. He's going to do some franchise stuff, he'll stick with the Scorches, but he's just going to finish up with w A. It's a sad way to finish his legacy, I suppose, but he's already done so much for them and we've seen him produce many many Australian players and win so many titles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think you say back to back spoons. But would you take that if you won three?
Speaker 2: I sure you would.
Speaker 4: I think you would.
Speaker 5: If you win three three trophies, you'd take going back a little bit. And I think the problem that their problem has been just their bowling. Whether guys have been unavailable through Australian selection in terms of GigE, I has been kind of here, there and everywhere, but also just never never had the same guys consistently on the on the field, and even this year Matt Kelly started out like a house on fire and then hasn't been able to get back. Joel Paris as well has been I mean his first class record unrivaled in terms of his numbers, but again just not being able to play consistently enough. And it's hard without that consistent bowling group. And Victoria this year in South Australia. Last year, I've proved that if you've got five or six bowlers you can kind of rotate, keep fresh. That's the secret to winning on these wickets that are so good for bowling. So but yeah, Adam Bojas, I mean amazing. He went from playing, you know, almost captain of the group to next year coach and that can be a hard transition. To go straight into coaching guys that you were having beers with last year. But he's managed to find the way to do it beautifully and he's as you said, his legacy will be there forever in terms of a three peat and then the One Day Cups they won as well, so he's turned that state around. And the players they've produced to play for Australia as well has to be mentioned because for a period of time there that wasn't coming out of WAA. Now you look at them and it's almost an international team they've produced over his tenure there.
Speaker 4: So great job from him.
Speaker 2: Totally, yep.
Speaker 1: And some young guys coming through in your Connolly's and your bid Man's and no sorts, So some good stuff happening there at WA despite the results. And you just did touch on those fast bowlers fast balling groups. Victoria obviously at the minute have Bowland, They've got Ferguson, Neil, Sam Elliott and Mitch Perry. They've all pretty much played all season. They're all up there at the top. Wicker takers. South Australia last year had those guys as well, with your McAndrews and your Doggets and your Buckinghams and he touched on bucking him a little bit earlier. But it just brought to mind that story that appeared a couple of weeks ago that he was the boy on the front of the Milo Cereal box.
Speaker 2: Did you see that?
Speaker 4: I didn't say it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he was part.
Speaker 1: Of a photo shoot when he was ten or something really and or maybe it was the Neutral Grade box.
Speaker 2: I can't really it was Malo.
Speaker 5: Well, Milo's in cricket now with the blast and stuff, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: I didn't. This didn't come across my nest.
Speaker 5: So question that circle back to that next week. All right, they go fun fact, I'm a big fan. He was actually one of my breakout players of the year. So it was a big fan of his work and I got to mention in the Yeah, the bowling actions.
Speaker 4: So big fan of Bucky.
Speaker 5: He probably hasn't had the year on field he wanted, but he was on Sereal boxes at ten, So you're going to have these up and downs.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: He's one of these Hollywood stars from a young age, so no doubt some good seasons to come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we love Bucky, so shout out to him and know that he listens to the show as well. Let's finish with Hey, Richo, We've got to listen to Questioning for you to cap this one off today. It comes in from Nigel and he says, with more Cricket on TV that you'll be watching now that you're retired. Who would your ideal commentary team be? Give us your Mount Rushmore or commentators.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to fit.
Speaker 4: In without notice as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot to go through these days too, isn't.
Speaker 4: There can we go? Is it if Mount Rushmore means dead or alive?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, because we were on Richie. Yeah, Ritchie, is inn't that.
Speaker 4: Richie has to be there? He's the captain. You will always be the captain. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Ricky Ponting I think is the current day captain. Isn't he insights unrivaled crystal ball just ndictions knows what's going to happen, So always tune in when he's on.
Speaker 4: Two more.
Speaker 5: Mount Rushmore has fought, doesn't it, So yeah two more? I will go a Michael Hussey again. Okay, yep, mister cricket. If you got the nickname mister Cricket, you're going to know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Get him in the lab and get him the screens all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 5: And yeah, at lunch break as well, he'll be just doing something having a net. Oh, fourth is tough. There's so many good ones over the years. Funny, he's not going to make it, but p me, I love listening to Bangala.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why can't he make it?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 5: Well, there's just so many He's unlucky. He's an unlucky I'll put him as an emergency. But again, like when I was growing up, Mark Nicholas was, Yeah, Mike Athertin, like Bill Lurry, Bill Laurie, there's so many Tony Greg, Look, Captain's call. I'm going to need a I'm gonna need a phone a friend for number four because I can't.
Speaker 2: Pick who are you on a phone?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm ringing you right now and you're answering.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well you've got two special comments there.
Speaker 2: We need another call.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go Bill Lurry, Okay, just the Victorian bias, the screaming at the wicked.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: He's just got an iconic voice, and I wish we got to hear a bit more of it.
Speaker 5: What if what if we're what if it's t twenty game. Okay, I they okay, Yeah, that's all right. I'm not sure Ritchie would love commentating T twenties either. Maybe he'll just do the kind of as the intro, Yeah, the intro, just the important stuff as people kind of turn the TV on and then we'll get the brains trust cooking on the.
Speaker 1: Bruce mcavanie and then throw the I think that. I think that's pretty good.
Speaker 4: You're happy with that.
Speaker 5: I'm very happy you are a Victorian as well, so you're always going to go Bill Lurry, weren't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a Victorian.
Speaker 4: And he would he is he shield final.
Speaker 1: Wow, there's an opportunity absolutely.
Speaker 4: Get him back. Wonder what he's doing pigeons.
Speaker 2: Kitchens, I'd say so, yeah.
Speaker 4: Has he retired? I'm the wrong guy to ask.
Speaker 2: Maybe have to get him on the pope. Absolutely, all right, good stuff. Rage enjoyed that down and we'll catch you next week.
Speaker 4: Look forward to it. Thanks Shosh