Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kernye Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our money diaries where I get the absolute privilege of sitting down with one of our She's on the Money community members to talk all about their money story. Let's jump straight in because this week I got a message and it sounded exactly like this. Hi, Victoria. We burned through all our savings after my partner got suddenly ill and couldn't go to work for three months. Now we're working to build it all back up again, money diarist. I feel like this is going to be an unfortunately very relatable money diary for a lot of people in our community. First things first, how are you?
Speaker 4: I'm pretty good.
Speaker 2: You're very excited to be Oh really, I'm excited to you. Money dirests are literally my favorite thing in the entire universe. So getting to record them every week is my favorite. Let's start things as I always do. I want to know if I asked you to grade your money habits from A through to F, what grade would you give them?
Speaker 4: I'd give myself a B.
Speaker 2: Like that? All right, now my favorite question, can you tell me a little bit more about your money story?
Speaker 4: So like, basically I grew up pretty well, Like my parents worked really hard and we always had like a stable house, and you know, we never went without anything. And then the moment I turned sixty, my mom was like, Okay, you're old enough to get a job. Go get a job. If you want anything, you've got to earn it. And so like that's basically what started it. Anytime I wanted something, I had to say about for it myself. Typically unless it was like something kind of expensive, then Mom would help me. M went to Union, I met my partner.
Speaker 2: Oh you met at Uni?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I love this.
Speaker 4: First year of beauty. I was like, I mean I have such a crazy year. And then immediately got a boyfriend. I was like, ohops, yeah.
Speaker 2: That sounds exactly like me. I like got out of my long term relationship and I'm like, I'm going to be a single gal go on it in to date with my husband Steve and I'm like, Hi, do you want to get married?
Speaker 4: Sounds like right, yeah. And he had a very different mindset to me. So he was very much a spender and he had a very different childhood. So his parents said, immigrated to Australia from Vietnam and they grew up quite poor and it was a very rough childhood.
Speaker 5: They like often went without things. I would go to bed hungry.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It was a very tumultuous relationship even into adulthood, and it was pretty unstable, and it kind of translated across into our relationship where like he was a spender and I was a saver, and it ended up causing a lot of fights.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: And it got to a point earlier this year where I said, hey, I've actually given you so much opportunity. I've given you so many resources, I've spoken to you about this, haven't made any changes. This is essentially your final chance do what I And then it was kind of like lit a fire under his ass.
Speaker 2: And good, how long had you been together at that point?
Speaker 4: This is our fourth year?
Speaker 2: So four years okay, So four years like enough time to have settled in. It's not like the first six months, because that would be honestly a bit weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, definitely not. It was a long time. And then it was also a listened to like a money story and was someone that had very similar childhood and we're doing really well, and it was kind of like, oh, wait, I don't have.
Speaker 5: To to to let what my parents did define me.
Speaker 4: I guess yeah, And so that was really good. And then we were doing quite well, and it was probably about two months of we were doing so well and we're saving so much money, and then we're sitting and we're watching the footy at a friend's house and he turns to me and he goes, Molly, I can't see the scoreboard. And I was like, what, You're fine, We're just drinking. You're fine. And it happened for and it'd been fine and it had gone away and whatever, and we were up in the morning. He's like, Nah, I.
Speaker 5: Need to get someone to look at it. So we went and saw anupometrist.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he was like, you need to go the Irony emergency, Like right now, I'm sending a referral. And he spent a few days going back and forth and seeing like every specialist. You know. At the start, we were quite reckless and we're kind of like buried our head to the stand. We're like, oh, spending way too much money basically, and he couldn't go back to work for three months.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: And we ended up surviving off of our savings.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you had them, very very luckily.
Speaker 4: It was like a message from the universe almost be like, here, let's drive this lesson home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're really going to teach you to take financial security seriously. When she said shape up or ship out, she really meant to take it seriously. I mean, the universe had your back in a really weird way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it ended up being three months that he was out of work. Kind of lucky.
Speaker 5: We had the tax return come through, which.
Speaker 4: Both of us had to put towards our cars, Like someone stole his license plate two weeks into this happening.
Speaker 2: It was like the hair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was kind of crazy. So and then we had to do like all the registration fees and yeah, wow at service, I can't get you tied. So both all our tax turn went to that, and then we were quite a lucky. We were able to borrow some money from some of his family members who were doing better, and he had the toolar and come through because he's an apprentice, so that helps us. And then kind of got to the third month and we had that month's rent left and then after that we had nothing left, and we were lucky he was able to go back to work.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm so glad had kind of returned.
Speaker 4: So when it started, it was more so like a gray circle and a bit of peripheral vision in one eye, and then now it's kind of back to he can see, but it's extremely blurry out of that one eye.
Speaker 2: So is there a diagnosis? Like what is this?
Speaker 4: So they've narrowed it down to two things, but they can't diagnose them. So he's being treated for both of them. So the first one was he's like a latent carrier for tuberculosis. Yeah, crazy, and they think that it could have become activated in his eye, but you can't treat it. So he's on speculous medications for four months, which is powerful.
Speaker 5: And really damages your livery and everything like that.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's like a really rare autoimmune disorder that's common in people of Asian descent, but they can't really diagnose that either because most of them carry that sort of gene.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, they can't prove whether it's become activated or not.
Speaker 2: Yes, So you've got to hit it from both sides because like it might be the TV or it might be this autoimmune disorder. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So he's been on like that as well as mean like suppressants and like some really powerful medications. But it's most likely the ordom you disordered, because he's got a lot of the symptoms for it. Yeah okay, And like when this is all happening, we'd applied for cimlin and you know, for emergency payments, and he'd gone back to work before we'd even heard anything. And it was kind of really stressful because around them. At the same time, we found out that our lease price is going up two hundred dollars when so like, we're gonna have to.
Speaker 2: Read the universe is like trying to teach you something and I'm really not sure what it is.
Speaker 4: I don't know whether it hates us or not.
Speaker 2: No, like the universe doesn't hate us. It's trying to teach us something in a really weird way.
Speaker 4: Really harsh way. So we're having a move and it's like, you know, we don't really have the savings to move, so we're going to have to move in with his little brother, which is going to be tough, but you know, it will save some money. We did the settlink and then if after like thirteen weeks and they don't give you a response, you can call them and complain.
Speaker 2: Like, but that's so long, that's like a quarter of the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been ridiculous. Oh and like he tried to go in and speak to They're like, you need to make an appointment, and they're like, oh, okay, So he tried to call to make an appointment and then.
Speaker 5: He was blocked from calling.
Speaker 4: What Yeah, if you call too many times, sendely blocks.
Speaker 2: You excuse me, sentling, It's like your problem, I'm calling because you're the issue. That's a toxic X.
Speaker 4: I know it's ridiculous. Oh, it was doing my head.
Speaker 2: In Next time, get this, just call them off blocked numbers. I'm never giving Center Link my number again.
Speaker 4: Like it does that, but you have to put in your crn Oh no, it picks up and they're like, oh, you can't call, you need to go in, and it's like, you can't go in unless you're make an appointment.
Speaker 5: You can't make an appointment without calling.
Speaker 2: They're verged it, they know, they know what they're doing.
Speaker 4: Oh it's messed up.
Speaker 2: No wonder there's always so many people loitering outside centilling because no one knows how to get in or get an all.
Speaker 4: Yeah's angry, but we're kind of grateful because I like when Swift putting this complaint. A few days later, we've been approved, so we've got.
Speaker 2: To get study pay of four eight hundred dollars, which is basically so much pressure off ry.
Speaker 4: So it's like amazing, Like probably better we got it after rather than dream because we probably wouldn't have had all that to put into savings.
Speaker 2: See, the pressure has been taken off a little bit.
Speaker 4: A lot, and we're still saving as much as we could really so like he's been putting most of his paycheck away while we can so yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, how stress? How are you in all of this?
Speaker 5: I was having a meltdown, Like I was so freaked out.
Speaker 4: I was so stressed, Like I was like when it first happened, I was like crying at work because I had to go.
Speaker 2: Into work and of course we need the money.
Speaker 4: And I was like crying at work and it was just so ridiculously insane and just all of like when you went back to work, I literally nearly fellow because I was so relieved, Like and same thing with the center link. I was like, which just feels like so much weight it's been taken off. Like it was so stressful.
Speaker 5: And then like when I'm stressed, you get like flare ups.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow, And like are you dealing better with that now?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I'm always stressed, but like a lot better than what I was.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be that friend, but like maybe we need some therapy.
Speaker 4: Yeah probably. I did used to get it, but I stopped going because it's fenny.
Speaker 2: It's so expensive, right, and that's like a kick in the gut. So I don't want to be your doctor. Here, but like go talk to your doctor about getting a mental health care plan and talking to somebody who is like a third party, because it is stressful, right like, regardless of what your partner like has or is going through, Like that's such a burden on you, and like your partner doesn't like want that. No one wants that, right like, And you don't feel like it's a burden because of course you're going to do that for your partner, Like i'd been here the backwards if my husband was sick like a thousand percent, but like, sometimes you need a third party who's not your family and not your friends, who honestly, like you know, I'd sit down and be like money Diarist, you're amazing, Like of course, of course, and you're gonna be like, of course you're gonna say that you're my best friend. Like you need a third party to sometimes talk things through. So you go, oh, that makes sense as to why I was, you know, crying at work and so stressed. And it's something that I think if you knock it on the head now, it's not gonna linger later. And I think that that's a good thing because like we can carry stress so deeply and it sounds like that's something we need to talk about. My friend.
Speaker 4: Always, I try to.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it all right. You mentioned crying at work, which sucks. I'm so sorry that's the case. But tell me about work. What do you do for work and how much money do you earn?
Speaker 5: So I'm actually a full time student. I study pharmacy.
Speaker 2: Oh very cool, she's going to be a richie.
Speaker 4: And I work in a pharmacy part time and I earn thirty three thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's pretty good for part time as a student.
Speaker 4: I do like twenty hours a week, but I pick up heaps of shifts.
Speaker 2: So cool. Tell me a bit more about pharmacy.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's so fun. I love it. Like I work in a community and a pharmacy, and I have really great coworkers and we're in a really good area. And like it is hard, like we do cople a lot of abuse, no why people like the But then like we have customers, like buns was getting abused, and then one of our regular sority came and there's like, here's a bock of chocolate for you guys. Oh my god, this is why I love this place. Like this run's mostly sweet, but you just get the cycles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's always going to be like some bad eggs. How much longer have you got for study?
Speaker 4: Three weeks?
Speaker 2: No, you don't. I know.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited. And then I do like my internship, which I'll do at the place I work, and they'll be full time, so I'm so excited to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're going to be like a full blown pharmacistic like three weeks kind but like you do your internship, but like you don't have to study anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I know, I just start next year. I've still have all my final exams next year, so I kind of have a year, but you need three weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so exciting. So what do you get paid doing your internship if it's now full time hours?
Speaker 4: I think it's like twenty five to twenty seven dollars an hour, so probably around eight hundred dollars a week after tax I think roughly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm so glad that you're getting paid for an internship. That's a gripe that I have. But also congratulations, that's a hard slog to have gone through everything you've just gone through and then also be three weeks off like, my friend, you're not going to know financial security like you have that foury eight hundred in savings. I'm just so excited for what the future looks like. I still don't know what the universe is trying to teach you, but it's definitely taught you and your partner to be really good savers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred per cent. It's like very good. We can live on peanuts essentially.
Speaker 2: So tell me a little bit about your partner and his job. What does he do and how much money does he earn?
Speaker 4: So he's a carpentry prentice and he's all about eight hundred and fifty dollars a week. I think, don't actually know.
Speaker 2: That's okay, I feel like that. I don't know. You're set up for a very comfy financial life in the future. What does pharmacy look like full time? Once you become a fully qualified, fully study finished pharmacist.
Speaker 5: So starting raiders about thirty five dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: But you sort of have to batterle negotiate.
Speaker 4: That's what negotiate your wage. So it depends on how good I'm negotiating for myself.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I've got your back. So the answer is brilliant. You're going to be brilliant and negotiating your wage. I love it. I feel like you are on the right track. That's very exciting. Tell me about your big money goals. What are we currently working towards?
Speaker 4: So, right now moving house, but after that, it's saving to buy a house. That's like the most important thing right now for me. I'm sick of renting.
Speaker 2: That's so fair. Tell me about moving. How much is that going to cost? Are you moving far? What does it look like?
Speaker 4: Look, we're not really sure, Like we're trying to move sort of around this area max a thirty minutes away from my work. Yeah, and the places we're looking.
Speaker 5: At will probably be like.
Speaker 4: Two thousand dollars per calendar month roughly. Move will be expensive because we've got to pay for like professional clean, flea bomb, all that sort of stuff. Yeah, I reckon, we need at least.
Speaker 5: Five thousand dollars to move and to still have a little bit of something in the background.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair, it's so expensive. Have you started getting like removalist quotes and stuff like that or are you going to like do it differently?
Speaker 4: So we move November sixteenth. So I've been trying to organize inspections. But it's kind of a nightmare right now doing that. Social finals coming up, but I haven't looked at quotes or anything like that. Normally we move the little stuff by ourself and then like we just get someone for a big Can.
Speaker 2: I give you a tip of what I did? And I didn't realize how cheap it would be. I don't know if this is going to be for everybody, but we recently moved and I didn't want to pay for removalists, Like it just wasn't happening. I was like absolutely not got the quotes, and I was like, that's disgusting. I don't care if I can afford it or not not paying it. Taxi box like this is not a sponsored mention for anyone wondering, But it's like this company where they take a box of your stuff, like they drop basically a half shipping container in your driveway or like out the front of your house. You fill it up, they take it away and deliver it back to a location that you want it to be delivered to. And like I think it cost me less than like eight hundred bucks or something, and we got to fit in like our washing machine and our dryer and our like big appliances and our fridge and our mattress and our bed and all of the stuff that definitely didn't fit in the car, and then we moved everything else in the car, and like it's not gonna work for everybody, But like I called them and I was like, hey, like can I kind of use this as a moving service And they were like yeah, Like I guess like there might be like a day in between picking it up and dropping it off because of their system, But I was like, you can keep all my stuff for a whole day for it to be much cheaper, so maybe that'll work.
Speaker 4: But we did alas was air Tasker that was like really cheap and they were really nice.
Speaker 5: I really like air task I think it was three four hundred dollars for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see that's a money we in. But like lots of options to look into that don't necessarily involve you hiring a fully qualified mover. Not those guys are so spano. Like I'm not saying that they're not worth it, but like when you already have a million costs, like it's just another cost that you're like, I don't know if I can afford this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very responsive.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. All right, well, I'm really glad that you're in that circumstance and I know you can afford it this time. Let's go to a really quick break and on the flip side, I want to talk about investments and debt and your best money habits and your worst money habits, because I'm pretty sure after everything you've been through this ar you're probably going to have some really good money habits to share with us. So guys, don't go anywhere. All right, money diarist, We are back and I feel like I've got a lot to learn from you. But let's start. Do you have any investments? If not, why not? If the plan is to get some, what are they and how will that work?
Speaker 4: So I do. I've got my super which is sixteen thousand.
Speaker 2: Dollars how much?
Speaker 5: Sorry, sixteen thousand sixteen.
Speaker 2: That's really good for your age and the fact that you're studying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've worked full time for a while and I haven't stopped working for a really long time. And then also I have one thy five hundred in spaceship. But I want to take it out.
Speaker 2: Why do you want to take it out?
Speaker 4: I want to put into a Vanguard because I feel like it would be more suited for me, and also kind of like it's the stuff that happened earlier this year where they got banned from having people go in there, and then I was just kind of like, nah, it kind of put me off them. I got the ick, but it's down, so I don't want to take it out while it's down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't recommend selling any investment while it's down. I don't know if you saw I did a whole video on what was happening with Spaceship. Yes, not because it was a bad asset class, so don't get too stressed, but it was actually around ASSEK cracking down on their marketing. So basically they were saying that this product was suitable for a demographic that it potentially wasn't suitable for, and ASCIK will like, until you fix your marketing and can be clear on who your product is for what it does, you can't have any new clients, and I feel like that's scary. Nonetheless, but to me having that, I guess nuance makes me feel so much more comfortable because I go, okay, well, at least it's not because it was a bad investment, like or it was terrible, but I totally get it, and like it sounds like you're kind of I don't know, is the word glowing up financially? Like going from a micro investing platform to Vanguard kind of makes sense if you're going to start really taking investing seriously and you're going to your first full time income Like that makes sense. I like it. So tell me a little bit more about debt. Did you end up going into debt for any of this? Do you carry any debt? What's your hex? Look like? Tell me all the pervy deets.
Speaker 4: So I just have my HEX which is forty thousand dollars but no other debts.
Speaker 2: Forty K for pharmacy. That's pretty good, yeah, I think so. Yeah, are you planning on doing anything more in the future when it comes to study or you're like no, no, no, being a pharmacist fiel End or like I'm there.
Speaker 5: So I'll probably do not studying with UNI, but I'll do a course for compounding and probably going to like home medication review pharmacy, which is another course that you do. It's through the Pharmacy Guild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what does that mean for your income? Because I have been not well recently. I've had the worst perioral dermatitis in the entire world, and I have had to be going to compounding pharmacies to get all of my like creams and stuff mixed up. And like it's crazy one how expensive they are, but like that's niche. You're going to get paid more.
Speaker 4: Yeah you do, so actually work in a compound, and do I get the same thing as what you do the perioral don't get pregnant.
Speaker 2: If you get pregnant, it gets six million times worse. I will send you a photo of what my face looked like when I was eight weeks pregnant, and you'll be like, did you get burnt in a fire?
Speaker 4: Yep, you's just seen last year. I was like covered in it all over my face. It was crazy stress.
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised, my friend.
Speaker 4: But yeah, with compounding, you can get paid more because you've got more skills. Less people can do it. So farmacists don't get paid by the PBS at all. Wild I know, crazy, Like not even for the vaccinations, Like if you do vaccinations, it goes to the pharmacy owner.
Speaker 2: No, it does.
Speaker 4: It's up to the pharmacy owner to decide whether they give you bonuses for it. No spicy, it's BS A lot of the stuff that pharmacists do, it's wage based rather than like something like that doctors not do, where they get it paid straight from PBS into the accounts.
Speaker 5: As well like extras.
Speaker 4: Wow, if you do like the home medications reviews. So that's why you actually will get your own provide a number finally, and then you can get reimbursed by the PBS and get extra money for that on top of it.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 4: I can't remember off the top of my head how much it is, but it is significant amount.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how cool? Oh my gosh. And is that something that you also have to negotiate or is that something where it's kind of like you do this and then it's just a given that that's the I guess payment structure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so just the payment structure.
Speaker 2: How fun. I feel like that would be really really interesting. All right. I want to know next, As we said before, like you have absolutely been through the wars financially over the last few months. So I have a sneaky suspicion that you're probably gonna have some really good money habits to share with us. What do you think is your best.
Speaker 4: Well, I think I'm like super determined, Like once I set my mind, I'm really good at getting it. And then I'm always looking for like a way to like save money, so like everything I buy from my clothes to like furnish out, it's like marketplace or like always on clearance, like absolute final sales. And then like what I was doing for a while was like I would get you know, like the food box of calor Fresh and.
Speaker 2: Like oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm obsessed with Marley Spoon. You obviously don't follow me. I make my husband cook it for me most weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's how I feeld Mally's Frihinded.
Speaker 2: Ah, yeah, I love that.
Speaker 4: But I would do like the huge discounts, and I just do that cancel or switch them because the moment you cancels switch are like offer you more.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. I've got a couple of friends who do that. Like I'm committed to Mark honestly, not just because I have a partnership with them, but because I just like the food better. Like I'm a picky eater at best, and I feel like some of the other food boxes are more like not bad, like all of the stuff in them is good, but like Hollow Fresh, for example, is more like a meat and three veged kind of vibe. And like, I'm not a meeting three veged kind of gal. I want my like crusted tofu, you know, so like Marley is my vibe. But that is okay. But I've got a couple of girlfriends who like kind of go. I don't know if Marley You'll be happy with me saying this that y'llaw it's my podcast. They like get Marley Spoon. They do the like intro that I give them because obviously I get a good discount. He's like two hundred and twenty five dollars off or something, so that's a money win. And then when they're done with that, they go to Hollowfresh, and they're done with that, they go to Dinnery, and then when they're done with that, they go somewhere else. And I'm just like geniuses, Like you must be saving so much. It's like credit card point hacking, Like I wish I could do it. I just don't have the brain capacity.
Speaker 4: But the one thing I'm doing as because it kind of got sick of doing the food boxes because it was kind of like the same ver shoables over and over. So right now we've got like a fruit and box delivery and it's like once they get rejected by like.
Speaker 2: Supermarkets, ooh what's it called.
Speaker 4: It's cool good and fugly good and fugly.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I love that bread.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're so fun. I love them.
Speaker 5: And we get like eight kilos of fruit and veg and it lasts the majority of the week.
Speaker 2: Eight kilos is so much. Yeah, you get how much does it cost you forty dollars forty bucks for eight kilos of produce? Okay, that's the money win.
Speaker 4: It's really good, and you like don't get to really choose what you get, so it makes you try different things and make things stretch, and like, you know, you've got all this stuff, so you've got to use it up. So it's like a really big money stay because otherwise I spend too much money on takeaway.
Speaker 2: Well one hundred percent. And it kind of makes you be a little bit creative and I'm assuming, like if a recipe calls for broccoli and they're like, ah, well, we haven't sent you brocoli, but we've got this other round in vegetable you're like, yeah, you can go in that recipe.
Speaker 4: She'll be right, that's one hundred percent. And like we kind of have to sufflement, like you don't always get like onions or like the stuff that you want, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: You can pop to the supermarket like people put brown onions through self checkout all those times. So you're always looking to save. And I feel like that good and fugly They've got a pretty good free shout out on the pod. But that sounds really cool, like really cool. What is your best money saving tip? I suppose obviously this like food box thing that like have you had a really big win that you're like, oh, this one's real cool.
Speaker 4: I can't look at the money in my paycheck when it comes in. I have like all satain, so like at the moment my money comes in, I transfer like my rent into a whole different bank account, so we can't look at it. We don't know what that is. It's the rents and moving fun can't cutch it. If I don't know what it is, I can't see it. Yeah, and then like it also like Divvy's up like all my savers, so like that's the best thing because otherwise.
Speaker 2: I just tap and I'm like, oh yeah, I love it. I feel like lots of people in the shees on the money community are obsessed with up because you can just like divvy things up into lots of different savers without actually opening lots of different bank accounts, and that just like makes sense, right, So let's flip the narrative, like, you're really good at grocery shopping and making things stretch and saving. But what are you not so good at? What's your worst money habit?
Speaker 5: I have such a twistable arm, Like if my friend's like, let's go out, okay, actually, no please, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, you're just social. That's a good personality, tray.
Speaker 4: Oh actually, this is my favorite money hack. You wear like cargo pants or like something pockets.
Speaker 5: You fill up the little sachets of vodka and.
Speaker 4: Then you take that out and then you only buy soft drink except when you run out, and then you're like, oh.
Speaker 2: Buy more, yep, nope, I love it, you do you boo. I feel like the Victoria divine equivalent is I always have Musley bars in my handbag because I'm like, I'm not buying cheat like snacks because like snacks are expensive. We're gonna have a musli bar before we go to the restaurant so that you don't over order. Victoria like keeping Uncle Toby's apri cop musley bars in business? Are they the best?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Do they feel me? Yes? They do the job. So she's got cargo pants for her cheeky vodka. She has an arm that's easily able to be twisted. Is that because you're super social? Do you find that you spend a lot if you're going out?
Speaker 4: Yes, I do spend a lot, and like I'll find, like, especially after a few drinks, like I will look at my account of like, oh, you know, like fee is not really due. I'll just take fifty dollars out of there.
Speaker 5: And it's like if I'm sober and ogul, but if I'm drunk, Like, oh.
Speaker 2: She's a different person when she's drunk. She's got an alter ego, and her alter ego is very good at spending money. No, well, I think that's relatable to talk to me about your grade. So we're nearly at the end. I feel like you have been through a roller coaster of a year. I'm so glad that your partner is on the mend and back at work Like that makes me feel so happy. I'm so glad that centlink back page you. It sounds like you set up all of your savers. You know, you're on top of your super You're three weeks away from being done with UNI, which is like the most exciting thing in the entire world. At the start of this episode, you graded yourself at B. Do you think that's still where you're sitting at? If so, why? But also I want to know what would it take to get you to an A.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do still think it'd be I think I still kind of spend a little bit too much then I should for what I'm earning now.
Speaker 2: We don't need to buy cat food, remember, Yeah, But like.
Speaker 4: I feel like once I'm working full time and I can balance that and not like you know, lifestyle creep and you know, keep saving more, that's when I'll feel better, yeah, and more confident with that. And if I feel like I can translate that to the full time wage, then I will give myself an A hopefully.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: From my understanding of what you've just said, it's really about feeling confident, not necessarily changing habits too significantly, because once you have a full time wage. I promise if you keep the habit of your little vodka in your cargo pants like you'll be fun. Oh my gosh, money, Doris. I have adored having this conversation with you. As I said before, I'm so glad that your partner's on the mend and everything is on the way up. I'm so proud of you and what you've achieved and where you're going. But unfort that is all we have time for today. So thank you so much for sharing your story and being so open and being so vulnerable. I just know that so many people are going to learn so much from this. I think it's, you know, obviously a very good reminder to have a healthy emergency fund, but also just knowing that anything at any time can happen and kind of derail the plans. So I think you've taught a lot to our community, and I'm really grateful for that.
Speaker 4: So thank you, thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: The advice shared on She's on the Money is generally nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria, Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sp I L t D A B N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a F S L four five one two eight nine