Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Sitdown. I'm Viv Christie from Australian Tennis magazine.
Speaker 2: And I'm Matrolote from oz open dot Com and Viv. This week we're bringing you a chat from Italy with the great Francesca Ski of only Grand Slam Singles champion when she won twenty ten Roland Garross over Australian Sam Stoza. Now, as Australia people that work in Australian tennis, Viv, we obviously were captivated by this match in Sam making the final. What do you remember about that match and what eventually unfolded in Paris.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a very exciting time for Australian tennis. Sam of course had beaten Justine Hennan on her way to the final and I remember watching that with many of my friends, my tennis friends on a Saturday night at a pub in Richmond, and we were all super excited. But in the end it was an incredible performance and milestone from Francesca.
Speaker 2: It was For anyone that's listening to this podcast it's not from Australia, they might not know just how big a deal this was to an Australian in the French Open Singles Final. I think that was the first time that had happened since the nineteen seventies, and so naturally, and you know, the match got brought onto Free Too Wear TV when it was when Roland Garross was normally on cable TV, and it was all over the front page of the newspaper. And Sam had gone on to beat Serena as well, So yeah, kind of the signs were there that, you know, we were all behind Sam. But I just remember thinking, even though the Australian in me was supporting Sam, I was so impressed with Francesca Skivoni's approach to the match, how tactically well she played, and then when it got to that tiebreak, she just went for it and just played like the dream tiebreak and just looked destined to win, like she arrived at her moment. It was her dream. It was incredible to see and I think she goes into a little bit of detail about those exact moments and her memories, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all these years later, I mean she talks about the passion and the focus that it took. She'd always had that goal to win Roland Gaross and and she did, and yeah, it's wonderful also to hear about the respect that she has for Sam and how warmly she speaks about her.
Speaker 2: Sir Francesca caught up with our colleague Shannon Davis in Milan and begun the interview by recalling her win over Serena Williams way back in Rome in two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: Tell me about that moment and how amazing it was in your home country, you taking on and beating in the second round.
Speaker 4: Serena was been fantastic. Of course, pasted already twenty more years, so it's a long long time ago. But I remember that there was blonde. I was very on fight this mother who could be in front of me. My goal was to beat her. I was shaking. I remember well I play against Serena. I was very respectful for my opponent. Always. I was being like this because my parents teach me how much is important to be respectful to yourself, to the opponent. But to play against Serena was something special. And I say, if I want to catch her and bit her, I have to bring her in a long rally. I have to bring where. I have to bring her where she doesn't like so and is my space? My space was to run My word was to suffer and to bring my opponent to to go over the limits. And I did that. I remember that was a great match for me. First set was seven six for me, was very tough, tight every point. She was surfing very good, and you know, twenty kilos of difference between a body to another body was I was feeling dead, but I was very determinate. That one is my home. I say, this is my surface is Roma and Clay. So I put everything together. I play with the courage. She mistakes some balls important and when she missed something, I say, oh, it's time for me to catch the merchant, try to win. And I did it.
Speaker 3: So tell me about you and Clay have a special affinity.
Speaker 4: At the age of seventeen, between seventeen and eighteen, I went to my mental coach that then Giovanni, I keep it for the rest of my career. And I ask him no. He asked me, what do you want to do in your life? What's your goal? What do you have in your heart? And they say, I want to win Rolangeros and I want to become top ten in the world. That was the key for me to work and to reach the goal that I dreamed, and after several times that I played Rolande Ross, I arrived in a moment two thousand and seven, eight and nine. I was close, not by results, but I felt that that one was my tournament. In two thousand and nine, I played good, but I was something was missing. Then happened that I prefer very well the season. I find a good balance. Sometimes maybe someone say, okay, you have thirty years old, you had twenty nine, so why did you wait so long? But I was like this. I always took my time. I always did my I grow was a little bit slower than others or now that everybody give you the solution and the input before was a little bit slower. So when I arrived in twenty ten in Rolandaros and I won the first round, six four in the third, I said, oh my god, I think something is happening to me. Because I played very bad and I could win. That's very good step for a champion. Then second round I played amazing, so something was changing. Physically, I felt very good. My team was in good balance. Many things together were attached, and I run the third round. I remember against Lena. That match did the click to me more because we played. Both of us played very well. We fight and at the end I won so more confidence, more actitude. I felt that I could do it, and that's very important for an ATHLETs. Then, step by step to the final, I didn't play good and I could win. Wow, semi final very good, respectable, and the final change a lot because before the final, I felt very scared. I was very scared. I cried. I think from eight in the morning until noon. I couldn't stop this scared. When someone now is coming to me and say I'm scared of this match, I can understand what's happened inside the body, inside the heart. I couldn't find the courage to go to play the final, so I see. I spoke with my mental trainer and he said to me very clear, don't do it. If you don't feel good, why do it. Tennis is a game. Game is mean to love, to go over the limits, to be strong, but also to enjoy, to feel, to feel that you are there in the right moment, in the right condition. So don't worry, don't play. I said, well, how can I don't play? And he left and she said, stay alone, don't worry about it. If it's the time to cancel. We cancer good after I think some hours like this, I think I took off everything from my body because I was crying and no phone, no mobile phone, no contact with other people, just me. I analyzed this moment and I put all my past together with my present and the dream that I had, this dream, It depends. You can see the dream amazing, fantastic, that we are close to reach. You can see that it's heavy. This depends how you see this, how you feel it. And then in a moment, I say, I'm leaving this one that is heavy. What doesn't mean if I leave this part? What doesn't mean it takes hours to take this one and threw away and to leave this moment like a present, like wow, thanks God that you give me this opportunity. And I arrived there with my potential, with my power. So if I arrived there, why not to go to to play and win? So I give to myself the chance to do it. And I was lucky. I was good. I don't know what happened, and I want Roland Ross. How is that? Lucky and good?
Speaker 3: Because your protagonist did not match Sam Stouzer, she was often crippled with nerves too, like very constricted.
Speaker 4: Sam was a fantastic add I love some like person like Atherlettes, very big example for everybody of us and for I think for Australia and all the world. But I felt that she was very tight. When I was playing in the correct spot, she couldn't she couldn't defense very good. And when I was missing and she had the opportunity, she was not coming against me very strong like usually she was doing, and they say something is happening. I was reading very well the emotion and the tactic how to manage this, to find a way to attack her in the moment that she couldn't understand. So it was like the cut and the mouse, a little bit like this. When time to go, and because she was times speaker than mean and stronger and everybody was waiting her win, I found a way, like I said before, dreaming that moment, I was totally into the match. There was nobody around. I remember that. I remember exactly that when I was six ' four for me and four three that I did the break. You know, I want herself. In that moment, I turned to my team, I look everybody that was there, like one hundred people, and I felt and I saw them for the first time. I saw the stadium for the first time six four four three. In that moment, I understand many things that I was there, that was a right place. That was my moment. It doesn't matter when or lose. You have to give everything that you have. And I was playing always better and better and better. So the pressure was not was there but was not so much important then the game. So the game was important in the same way then the pressure and then the life. In that moment, I mixed up everything. I didn't split so much was aspatch. Everything was pressure. The crowd that was with me, crowd against me was match point. How did you feel in Russia or ancient Yeah, there was anxiety, there was enjoying that if I do this point, I can win. Everything was together. I was fluid. When you give opportunity to yourself, you already win something, and that's very important. And in that moment I learned these things and I could win.
Speaker 3: Your fighting spirit was always something that was always on display. Come to the Australia and Open in twenty eleven and you play the longest and Slam match in history against because Netsava, Yeah, tell me about that. That was insane. Sixteen fourteen. In that third set, see.
Speaker 4: What the hell that match was was long? We couldn't I spoke with her and then some days after because she was literally beast but it's okay, And they say, how did you manage after the match? What did you do? And she said I was there and I say me too. I was off finish for our forty four minutes. I become four in the world. Incredible. Everything with the four was a fantastic match because she expressed everything and I did the same in a different way until a moment that I could catch two three times more than net or two or three pass passing shot more. The level was very equal. We finished like if I can say that, like Roger and Rafa when when they will finished six floor In the fifth set was emotions? Was tennis? Was respect because I respect a lot like a lot was a game? Was fight over the limits, both of us. Because the day after I couldn't work. I went to the bicycle. I did two minutes and something and I say, I can't go anywhere. I don't know what's going on. I can't go with the with the legs, and my fizier say, don't worry. We stopped. We could sleep again and eat again and do your things so long the match for women's are a lot and we could enjoy that match that will be historical.
Speaker 3: Now you have the mental forever going forward of being the first Italian woman to win a Grand Slam title. You now have the newest member of the Grand Slam club, a young Italian who's flying at the moment, who shows some fight. He came back from two sets down in that match. Tell me what do you make of his progress?
Speaker 4: Okay, first of all, he's a fantastic person because to be a champion, you can't be just an addlet. You have to understand what's happened to you, to work on yourself to your limit, to listen to the people that you have around, to understand that the game, and to understand what is outside like business. And I think he is very smart on this because he's ordered. There is an order of what he does. So when he's in the court, he want to improve every day, very verchiso in English, very multipuntilioso, you can translate. And this characteristic of work hard over the minutes, fight, improve every shots, single shots, so small things can make of him a very good addlets. Then he is smart. He can find the way, the solution with his game. He was ready two years ago, three years ago, not because he was not completely conscient of his body and where he could go. Now he's conscient, and every single moment he leaves consciently that he can do something or not. It's like a way that he decided what to do. And that's great because the champion does this. So when he was sid to set to zero down from Medvedev, they change, He changed and with the team they change. One thing's very important. He couldn't find a way to attack, to use his rhythm, so he went back a little bit. That is a big step for him. Then to attack the other one. This change that looks very simple but it's not could give him the opportunity to produce what he has, like a power to go into, to go to. And he worked very well. He listened, They found together a solution and he could do it. Fantastic is a chapeau. Then the other one went a little bit down and jan Nick went up. Fantastic. I saw the match and they said this this boy, because he's a boy, he's a man, but he's a boy, can win much more slam for this reason.
Speaker 3: Okay, I said, predict for me his year in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: Numrouna der Mondo number one in the world and some slams more and I hope that he will have a lot of healthy that's the most important things in tennis, in a sport.
Speaker 3: And so tell me what you predict for Francesca's Kavoni in this next twelve months.
Speaker 4: To be a good coach for younger or for the opportunity that will arrive. To respect always the life of the person that I meet, and to enjoy my life sometimes saw oh, to relax. That is not easier because I run a lot and I work a lot.
Speaker 3: And what are the things that you are passionate about in your day to day life?
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 3: I can't see why you want to be in Milan.
Speaker 4: It's beautiful. How do you let go to travel? See? No, no, no, I like Milano. I'm born here. But I'm building a club just for me, for members, to give a line Italian style and to give to some guys and girls the opportunity to work in my way, to express themselves at the best, but always in this way of passion, work over the limits and go in this direction. But I'm building a club that's an amazing experience because I'm learning from zero. Now I am two. We have to arrive to ten maybe to invite you to visit it.
Speaker 3: So tell me what's the Skivoni Italian style that you'll be having.
Speaker 4: This one is very similar. We are elegant, we are very passionate. We have a fantastic architect, We have a talent. It's a good food, you can find, always a good hotel to spend the week. So I love Australia. I love Australia. First time that I came there, I think in nineteen ninety nine, I say I want to have a house here because I love that place. I don't know why. I know why Melbourne is green. There are some Italian because there is a stylish There is a lot of respect for sports, for the culture, for the art, and I love this. When I came there, I found people fantastic, a big opportunity to work, to express yourself, doesn't matter in which way. And I love that place that keep going to grow. People love Tennies. When I come to Australia, I want to come soon, I hope so to find a good talent to come soon and to enjoy Melbourne. When can we get you down there.
Speaker 3: I need to be able to bring someone from the tennis Lab.
Speaker 4: It's coming some years. I would be there.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: It's always great to hear when a player loves the city and the country where you're from. We would welcome Francesca back to Australia any time because that was a brilliant interview and I could have listened to her talk all day.
Speaker 1: Viv Yeah, absolutely, and I loved hearing her recollections of her amazing Australian Open match in twenty eleven when she beat Spittlana Kuznets of US sixteen fourteen. I think it was in the third set, a match that went for four hours and forty four minutes.
Speaker 2: An absolute epic. And of course we'll be back again next Monday when we sit down with esteemed French photographer Carineja Broyle, who we caught up with ahead of her working her thirty eighth Roland Garross, her first one dating back to nineteen eighty seven, So that was a great chat.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, you can tune into John and the team on the AO Show weekly on Thursday. Details for how to contact us are in the show notes. Remember to subscribe, rate and review.
Speaker 2: See you next week, Matt, look forward to it.
Speaker 3: Viv