Speaker 1: Just a word of warning.
Speaker 2: This podcast may contain some salty language, so if you around your little kids or at work, maybe pop my headphones on, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Peter Hell, are you here? Welcome to you ain't seen nothing yet?
Speaker 2: The Movie Podcast where I chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guest gold Logi winner Samuel Johnson.
Speaker 3: Would you give me a hand with the bags?
Speaker 4: Certainly you take the blond and I'll take the mine in the table, sir, the most you ever most Aquin to.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, make my day.
Speaker 1: Haven't a right now nothing year.
Speaker 2: My late great Auntie Carmel gave me the heads up. A former student of hers had won a role in a TV show on Channel ten called The Secret Life of Us. I immediately took an interest in Samuel Johnson's career. The rest of Australia didn't actually need my Annie Carmel's advice or heads up. They all fell for Sam straight away, and the love affair has continued throughout his many roles in Crackerjack, Rush, The Illustrated, The Family Doctor and Molly. He went on to win Australia's top TV Prize, the TV Week Gold LOGI beating an illustrious field, including me. But it's not all about acting for Sam. Far from it. Sam has become an amazing philanthropist, a crusader, wowing.
Speaker 1: To read the world of the scourge of that is.
Speaker 2: Cancer in the name of his beautiful sister Connie with his Love Your Sister Foundation. He started by riding around the country on a bloody unicycle.
Speaker 1: Yep, He's that kind of legend.
Speaker 2: Sam is a human thunderbolt, a tsunami of goodwill and emotion and compassion and more simply, a bloke is trying to make a massive difference to the world around him.
Speaker 1: And I'm bloody stoke.
Speaker 2: They have Samuel Johnson, my friend, here with me today.
Speaker 3: Hello, my name is Samuel Johnson. My three favorite films are The Castle, Tell him He's dreaming, Chopper, there's no cash here here, There's no cash, all right, cash, No Robbo, no cash, Apocalypto, My Saka. And up until last night, I had not seen Predator.
Speaker 2: A rumble in the jungle alien style as Arnold Schwartzenegger's Dutch leads a cracked team of commandos in a non specific Latin American country on a rescue mission for potential survivors of a helicopter shot down in the South American jungle.
Speaker 1: But it seems Carl Weathers Colonel L. Dillon had a ulterior motive.
Speaker 2: I almost completely forget what that ulterior motive really was, And it really doesn't matter because the rest of the movie is waiting for them in the jungle on their return to the aforementioned chopper, a chameleon alien who for the first forty minutes of the film basically pervs on our special force ostudes and hostage Anna, turning them into hyperca T shirts. But when the Predator actually arrives and announces him or herself, the film really takes off. In John mctiernanth nineteen eighty seven action classic Predator, Samuel Johnson, are you happy to stick around? That was one of Arnie's great bad libs in the film. How are you mate?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Really well?
Speaker 1: Hell are yeah? Very good?
Speaker 2: That's good. Great to have you on board. Thank you for having me you Why Predator?
Speaker 3: It's it's kind of it's a film that you should see. It's a classic. I knew that before I'd watched it. Last night. My partner likes those type of films, and yeah, I'd lost a few a few points in the credit department by not having seen it. And when I was speaking to her about which film to watch, she kind of she told me that I probably didn't deserve any in showbiz if I hadn't seen that film, and that I was lucky enough to get away with two decades and in showbiz as it was without having seen it. Make she made me feel like an absolute numpty for not having seen it, and and and and and she's right. I mean, it's it's a bit like not seeing Terminator or yeah, you know, it's a bit like not seeing I don't know, but you know, it's it's an iconic film. It's it's like it was, I missed pop culture because I was raised without a TV. So my dad was an author. He was at a pub once and a guy came up to him and asked him what he did, and he said, I'm an author and the guy said what's an author? And Dad just went I off. He couldn't even be bothered explaining it to him. But my dad, and my dad was a writer, and and he also was an avid book collector. He collected every he collected Australian fiction, and he had every Australian fiction book ever published in its first edition, except for the few in private collections and museums and state libraries and whatnot. In fact, his collection was the most comprehensive collection in the world. And that's all that my dad owned. So we So Mum died when we were young. So dad had three kids to raise. So he flipped houses by day and renovated houses, and by night he'd write books. And he believed firmly that that TV was a narcotic for the masses. And and he brought me up. He was, you know, I kind of thought he was as I was growing up. I thought he was a bit of an intellectual snob. But he wasn't. He was an every man as well. So I grew up in this kind of house which was kind of weird and musty and smelly, you know. And the only real sound we had in the house was his typewriter and a bit of ABC News on the wireless. So you know that dn't that's the same under my youth. No Predator, no, no, no, no Arnie, no Bruce Willis, no die Hard, no sign Fell, no no what's that show with those no Simpsons. I'll never forget when the Simpsons came out and every I was just excluded from so many conversations socially growing up because I was the weird book kid that no Firstly, no one wanted to come to my house because it wasn't very interesting to them, and it was kind of musty and kind of a bit. We didn't have a lot of money. It was kind of you know, it was we didn't have and all the other houses they had like TVs and they were clean and they had vacuum cleaners and things like that. Yeah, tarries. So so I feel like I've been catching up ever since. And so as soon as I grew as soon as I grew old enough, I started collecting DVDs really avidly. And that's when my love of film really kind of started burgeoning. Was as soon as I'd left home and was able to go to jp Ifi and blow a thousand bucks of that Secret Life of Us money on DVDs. You know, I mean so, so I kind of overcompensated. You know, it's pretty easy to you know, you know, when you don't have something, when you're a kid and you overcompensate. There's a lot of sugar in my cupboard, and there's you know, there's certainly a really huge film film collection now. And I don't know how I missed it, but but I think I might have missed it, Pete, because because I saw one of those scary films and it freaked me out. I think it was like a poulter Geist thing.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was something like poulter Geist. Over to sleepover, didn't cope, did not cope. It was super scary.
Speaker 1: And I sh show guys that sleepovers parents.
Speaker 3: Oh man man or was that chucky one?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was one of those ones. And and so ever since then, ever since that scary sleepover, I've avoided horror films. And I thought Predator was a horror film when really it's an action horror film. And I'm so glad that I went back to it because it's not at all what I preconceived it to be.
Speaker 2: I have I realized I haven't seen the film before, and I have a way less you haven't, no, no, And I have a way that is excuses not to have seen a film, because you know you'll be brought up in books. One an amazing experience that you can probably appreciate it more in retrospect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can appreciate it now. At the time, I was like, what about fucking predator man, you know, come on watch anything. Yeah, I'm sick of trivial pursuit.
Speaker 1: And bloody squatter. We haven't got a monopoly. We have squatter.
Speaker 3: The most exciting part of my life was that dice in that ball that you pressed and it popped.
Speaker 1: Oh, bugle was a bugle?
Speaker 3: No, no, buggle had the whole case where you shake up the domes in the middle where. Yes, that was literally the most exciting aspect of my life growing up.
Speaker 1: Trouble Trouble, Trouble, Well, that is great.
Speaker 2: My reason for not seeing it is I think because I was always been a massive consumer of pop culture from the get go, and I think at the time I was more interested in the action comedies that were happening at the time.
Speaker 1: So such a Beverly Hills car, yes, of course, you Tango and Cash yes, and Cash was Gray yes.
Speaker 2: Sylvesterster Loon and Kurt Russell, you know, so those I think Beverly Hills Cop two came out maybe the year this was This was maybe eighty seven, so I was just more prone to seeing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, those those kind of popcorn action films that, yeah, they were funny, usually had they usually had some kind of biracial thing going on, like like with the Diet but what was it called the Diet die Hard, which was the one where where he had mel Gibson the weapons and around that time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely yeah, it's huge, absolutely huge. So I think I was just more interested than that. I think he saw actually Terminator after I had seen this. I hadn't seen Commando, which so I think I had seen. So Arnie makes his film debut in about eighty one eighty two in Cone and the Barbarian in the Cone of the Destroyer, and then I think he makes the Commando, and then I think he makes and then then I think Terminators.
Speaker 1: There terminating commandoretor yes, and then no.
Speaker 3: Way really yes, watching Predator, it seems like it was made before Terminator.
Speaker 2: No, it's Terminators like closer to eighty four, I think, right, yeah, so this is eighty seven. So so Arnie was getting his getting his you know, he was becoming, he was he was a star after Terminator. He's probably a star after Conan. The Conan films, and then and then well.
Speaker 3: It was his breakthrough thing. But he wasn't a household, was he.
Speaker 2: No, No, and it was not Everyone necessarily saw that those films, but then then an acquired taste.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like. I looked back on it and wondered what the hell everyone was talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's get back to Arnie and we'll talk a lot more about Predator soon. It's a little bit to get into, but I love your three favorite films, particularly Scared by your last one, which will get too soon. The other two films, I know we're on Hughes's top three films of all time, the Aussie classics, The Castle and Chopper.
Speaker 1: So did you have anything to do?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, so no, I'm just a fan. Do you remember seeing that? I remember seeing I was at the premiere. I waslucky enough to go to the tell me tell me about it, and it was in the Rusty Street cinemas. I'm pretty sure it was hot. I think it's during my memory. It was not during a comedy festival. They kind of tired of that. With that, and just to be in a in a cinema watching an Aussie film of a group that had put this film together who we all loved through.
Speaker 1: Did you already know them all? But oh yeah, not personally. They've done The Late Show and Frontline, so you're a fan massive and DJ and yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was full on into this being a movie and I wanted it to be good, so to go there and for it to live up to the expectation, and for it to be in a cinema, a pack cinema of people pissing themselves, laughing all the way through, this Australian made film by some of my heroes, was just an unbelievable experience.
Speaker 3: I had the same experience. I've only ever been to two full cinemas that were fully engaged in the film. The first one was the Premiere. The first one was the was The Castle, and I think and I remember seeing pulp Fiction in a full public cinema. I got two seats right up the front where I could barely see. And I've only had two visceral experiences in a cinema where the audience is totally spellbound by the film. The Castle was that I saw it at Southland, I think village cinemas in Southland. It was packed. I was on my own I'm a big believer in going to see films on your own and and I'll never forget how fucking hilarious it was and how and how funny everyone found it. It was just I've had two unforgettable experiences in cinema and the Castle was one of them. I mean, I couldn't believe. I couldn't believe it. I was in awe of Stephen Curry. He, you know, because he was more kind of he was more a comedic actor, and I was a comedic actor at the time. I was quite kind of a lanky kid. I was getting a lot of the kind of comedic, kind of supporting roles at the time as an actor. So I looked up to Stephen Curry for his comedic acting. Chops, I've still not found an Australian actor with better comedic timing.
Speaker 1: He is incredible, He's timing.
Speaker 6: My name is Dale Kerrigan and this is my story our family. He lives at three Highview Crescent.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 6: Dad bought this place fifteen years ago for a steal, as a real estate agent said location, location, location, and we're right next door to the airport.
Speaker 3: It will be very convenient if.
Speaker 6: We ever have to fly one day. Dad still can't work out how he got it so cheap. It's worth almost as much today as when we bought it. Our cresent was going to be the heart of a major housing development, but it never got up. They reckon the planes, put people off them, and the power lines.
Speaker 7: Not Dad.
Speaker 6: He reckons power lines are a reminder of man's ability to generate electricity. He's always saying great things like that. That's why we love him so much.
Speaker 2: He's performance and I've spoken with him now a couple of times about his performance in the Castle.
Speaker 1: It's just.
Speaker 2: Underrateds weird termed because people fully appreciateability.
Speaker 3: It's not that it's underrated, it's that it's so good it's invisible. Yeah, Like really, only people like you whose job it is to understand comic timing are going to look at Stephen Curry and understand just why he's as funny as he is. I mean, everyone knows that they love him, Yeah, I mean, but but you know, for boffins like Gus that are in the game, we know why. And yes, delivery counts, yes facial expressions count. But if you don't get your timing right, the whole thing falls to pieces. So I look, he calls it pretend he's acting. He calls acting pretendees. And I love his attitude. And I'm still just such a massive Stephen Curry fan. I did an episode of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire with him and his brother recently, and I still can't behave normally around him, Like, yeah, I still have just got this kind of what do you call it when you get star like starstruck? Yeah, I still get starstruck by him when I'm around him. It's kind of kind of a bit weird. I don't like it when I changed the way I am because someone else is there. Yeah, that really bothers me.
Speaker 1: I love a word. I'm a good friend of cousins. I'll have a word until the knock it off.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Well, I mean the thing is, he's just so brilliant. Yeah, and he's so good to be around. And yeah, whenever I'm around people like that, the echoes of all of the bad decisions I've made in my life just become louder.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It's a weird and unfortunate thing. He would get that to feel when you yes, but.
Speaker 3: There's someone you've got someone I want to know who it is where you just feel impotent around them. You feel like, no, I'm not even funny.
Speaker 2: Well, so, yeah, we just finished shooting the third series of How To Stay Married and I'm working across from Lisa mcewn as my screen partner, and I feel it within scenes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm watching her getting cream and I wrote.
Speaker 3: This, well, she's a continent, she's the continent performer as well. I mean I feel I feel a bit weird around Lisa as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah her craft, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's people who have dominated their aspect of the craft that intimidate me. It's kind of there's levels to this game, you know. And and I'm so glad to have lost so many roles to Stephen Curry. There's no bitterness, there's nothing, there's just well, I can't get that role, you know. I mean, I mean, Tim Minchin feels like I stole all his roles. And that's why he went into musical comedy because he wanted to be an actor, but he just couldn't get a roll off me. I think, yeah, right, yeah, and yes, yes, yeah, Stephen Curry took all of mine. That's that's for sure. That's for sure.
Speaker 2: That is funny yeah, the the acting nemesiss Yeah right, Well, but the thing is you end up I mean, you know, I mean I'm not embedded at all.
Speaker 3: I mean I think I think it's a miracle that I've been able to get the work that I could get. But it's really important to have those people to measure measure yourself against. Yeah, And that's that's what drives you to work harder. That's what drives you to be funnier. It's these people around you, you know. And you know, what do they say, a rising tide lifts or ships?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you find like because when I because how to say, married is a spin off, it's a date. So we kind of matched people up and uh, you know it actors up and said you who you work with? And then when it was my episode, and obviously I was writing and I was producing it, you know, I said, producers and some writers, who should I pair up with? And I said, oh, I said, I said, let's find somebody who hasn't acted a whole bunch, you know, so I don't get blown out of blown off the blae screen.
Speaker 3: You know, so if you had have picked the best actor, they would have lifted you.
Speaker 1: Well, this is what I've learned. This is what I've learned.
Speaker 3: You're only as good as the person opposite, so you're probably ship.
Speaker 1: This is the yes, I'm well, I'm truly aware. So what I've learned, though, is exactly that to you that because we offered it to somebody who would have been amazing, and but they were new to acting, they working on another side of the arts, and they couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: And so somebody said, well, at least should be amazing, and I was like, yeah, but I mean and then and she left me right and we met with her, and as soon as I met her over the years in interviews and stuff, and I knew she was funny because Sean mckayliff had told me that he with her, and I said.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's let's let's let's do it. I just went, okay, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let's whatever happens happens, and it works, and you're absolutely right. And I got to make a movie with evanste Hoofskin, Brendan cal And Dinklage and Briandy Carter be tramcmart and to be in scenes with them and Katrina Malazovich.
Speaker 3: But they're all those names they're legit.
Speaker 1: They are, Yeah, they're legit. Yes, so, and you kind of realized.
Speaker 3: They might not all be household names, but in our world they're the kings and queens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, they are huge. And so I've learned.
Speaker 3: Few people have heard of Dnklish.
Speaker 2: Done some stuff since he did small show somewhere. But you realize that you're absolutely right. The good actors around you do helping him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the same with sport. It's the same with sport. You're only as good as your opponent. You know, if if whatever you chosen sport, if you're playing someone that's better, you should always want to play someone that's better than you, because a you can learn off them and be they'll lift you. I mean, I've been coat tailing for.
Speaker 2: Years, stealing roles off people. How many roles have you taken off?
Speaker 3: Dave?
Speaker 1: Views? Now?
Speaker 3: Oh, I took one pearl. The role in Crackerjack that I played. His name was Dave, and Mick malloy wrote it for his best mate Dave, and when it came to the casting of it, he did a test and this is what happened. And I'm pretty sure I've spoken to Mick I'm pretty sure this is what happened. I was I was a Channel ten boy at the time. Yea, because I've just done The Secret Life of Us. Sue Masters was the head of drama at ABC and she'd just been taken over got a Channel ten Pachter to become the head of drama at Channel ten. Channel ten paid Mick two hundred and fifty thousand dollars for the TV rights to Crack a Jack. His whole budget was about six seven hundred thousand, so the Channel ten component of the budget was kinda crucial. Sue said to Mick, he can't have Dave. He can't act, and I'd acted with him on Secret Life of Us and it's true he can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he played he played himself.
Speaker 3: He's very good at playing himself. But I still think I'm the better person for that role. But I mean, I mean, watching Mick and Dave in that film would have been like, you know, just watching too heavyweight to go out it. I think it would have been great, But I'm so glad to have interfered, And Sue said, and Sue, as head of drama Channel ten, said, Look, it's pretty simple. You've got to put Sam in the role or or we're not buying it. Wow, And so I was the only actor in his cars that he didn't want. I'm rocking up, going this is going to be great. I'm with Bill Hunter.
Speaker 8: Malloy.
Speaker 3: I'm going to make a whole bunch of new friends.
Speaker 1: And I'll bet Steve Curry for the role.
Speaker 3: And sure enough, yes, I wasn't Dave Hughes. But I mean, look I brought I brought my own thing. Dave would have brought his own thing. You know, we were able to laugh like men. We were able to have a laugh about it, you know, after a good ten years.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the box officeff so thrilled to have pinched.
Speaker 3: One off Dave Hughes, because Dave Hughes he needs something taken from him.
Speaker 2: Keeps on saying to me, we filt quite often that he keeps on saying, when are you going to write me a roll?
Speaker 1: Want this act and get me mate? Like, are you prepared to take you know, six weeks off your radio show, off your TV show to come and do my show? Are you prepared to do that? Yeah? You make I'll give you an afternoon.
Speaker 3: You've got a good us. The impression everyone have one like.
Speaker 1: I think everyone ever they thought is the king of the Us.
Speaker 3: He is he okay, Chopper, I.
Speaker 2: Was also on to use his list and is an extraordinary film.
Speaker 3: It's got my favorite line in a film ever.
Speaker 9: You know, must like me do your Keith your most people for no reason, just to make a name for yourself.
Speaker 3: You got fuck it? I'm what a dumb count's piece of blood?
Speaker 5: Keith? Right?
Speaker 3: That is single handedly my favorite film line ever because it just when I heard it, I was just like you didn't like you didn't just I'm not the cunt. What's pissing blood? Keathy break that down? Like I'm still in awe of that, of whoever was bold enough to write that line, still in or of the guy for delivering it.
Speaker 1: That's the thing, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I still can't believe that that it's an actual line in that film.
Speaker 1: But the right and then have it executed so perfect perfectly. It doesn't. It doesn't always happen.
Speaker 3: This is the thing about about Eric Banner. Look, I'll be honest, Eric Banner was a was a He was a skip guy. He was a skip guy. And I was an actor, right, and and and and actors had all kinds of hang ups back when I was starting. You didn't do soaps, yeah, reality TV? Or that person is not an actor. You know, there's all this kind of elitism that you grow up with and you don't even know it's really happening at the time. But I heard that the role was up, I couldn't wait to see who they cast. And when I heard the name Eric Banner, I just went, what what the skip guy? He's a comedian.
Speaker 1: Please read Martin on the.
Speaker 3: I just couldn't see it. Peter and I know, and then I mean, I mean hiter and he was just so good. I think his performance in that film is unrivaled when it comes to any performance in any film. I think he's that good. I was an absolutely hot, steaming mess when I met him. I mean, he's such a nice guy too. Tell me one actor that's performed a better role ever in any other film, and I'm including I'm including al Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon. I'm including Robert de Niro in Taxi Driver. I'm including Robert de Niro in Raging Bull. I'm including all of the great performances out of all of the great performances in all of the great films. Eric Banners Chopper is the best performance I have ever witnessed on film.
Speaker 1: It's a really good point.
Speaker 2: I was waiting for you to say best performance in an Australian and you're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: And sometimes we do. It's funny how we can pick and hold ourselves, but you're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: Every time I watch it, it's better. Yeah, and I've seen it so often his performance. But you know, musos will talk about it, Actors will talk about it, Comedians will talk about it. When they see a certain comic on stage and they don't want to ever write another joke. Yeah, they're just like, why do I even bother? When you when you go and you see that person just doing a master class version of whatever has that happened to you in comedy where you've seen someone live and gone, that's it. I'm never writing another joke again.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah. Yeah, I've told people so you may. You made me want to quit.
Speaker 3: You make me want to quit. This is what's common to our industry is that we're surrounded by We're surrounded by a lot of a lot of talented people, but then you get those people that rise.
Speaker 2: Above and and but thank god that when you have those thoughts like if I want to quit tonight, your set was amazing, your performance is amazing. Thank God, there's something in their brains the next morning that goes, no, I'm now I'm now inspired by that.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: He goes from yes quitting no, you're right in the morning becomes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you take that pain and you come out of it going, you know what, even if I'm never going to be that good, now I know what to aim for. And and and I was a comedic actor. I was I was kind of, you know, jousting with Stephen Curry for roles. And then Eric Banner came in and said, new chumps don't know what the fuck comedic acting is. Here it is and he showed us. He showed us all everybody. Everybody was was prompted to to have a moment of self reflection and to work out how they were going to come back after that. And I mean, I'm you can you can you can see now in my face. I'm just still stupefied by the level. And I dare say if I didn't see him play Chopper so well, because I'd met Chopper, so I kind of felt like I had a handle on kind of how he held himself, and and then and then when I saw what Eric did, I wanted to quit. But then when, when when my chance to play Molly Meldrum came up? And I'm not suggesting for a minute that I came as close to Molly as he did to Chopper, not at all. I did four percent, four percent of what he did, regardless, regardless, he gave me the courage, right knowing watching what Eric did to Chop, it gave me the courage to at least try to do Molly.
Speaker 2: Because such a similar area, in weirdly in a way very similar, you are playing such an iconic and really still visible member of society was still alive when Eric was Chopper. Yeah, which must be daunting. Yeah, at least you know Molly's probably not going to come around.
Speaker 3: With Yeah, he wouldn't get fast.
Speaker 2: I hope he hasn't come around with a ladder. So yeah, I mean that must have brought all kinds of anxiety leading into Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: I think I understood I was just doing a little tellymovie. If I was doing a doing a proper film made by the same kind of filmmakers, it would have been a very different Moldie that I would have given.
Speaker 2: But I knew that because it's Andrew Dominic's, I think, first film. He doesn't know it's it's you know, before a film's released, as you know, you don't know what it is, you know. So they're making this little film at Pentridge in Coburg and there's some good actors as.
Speaker 3: Well, Simon Dan Wiley, you know, I mean, you've got, You've got. That's the thing. Everybody lifted for that. And I'd studied that. I'd studied the period because I was writing a film based based on the same period of time called The Van Go Club, which was about that whole gang when they grew up as boys in the Toronto Youth Center and they all ended up in h Division in Pentridge together and they Chopper wasn't the only one to cut his zero off. There are whole bunch of them that did it. I named the trench Coat Gang or the Overcoat Gang or the Van Go Club. And so i'd studied that period for a few years. When Chopper came out, when I found out it was devot because my film was in development and based around all the same stuff. So when I ended up seeing it I was just like, I was, just like every piece of research that I'd done about that period, because I had a first cousin in jail with all of those guys at the same time, and I literally had a mountain of research and I've done maybe three or four years work on that specific period. And when I saw, when I saw what Dominique had done with his realization of that film, how he'd cast it, the performances, you know, I mean even even you know, what's his name, the guy that's in the oak milk ads, he's amazing Field, David Field, you know, you fucking blowfly. You know, like even him with.
Speaker 2: One of my favorites, he said, every night, every night. No, I haven't, oh man, that is an amazing film. I've got a David Field story for you.
Speaker 3: I'm in the middle of the desert, unicycling through the middle of fucking nowhere, and and I run into, run into.
Speaker 1: Run David Field shooting and commersion.
Speaker 3: I run into David Field shooting something with guy appears he's doing a Dave Me Show film up there in the middle of nowhere, literally in the middle of nowhere. I'm riding a unicycle through a desert and I find him and we got on the vodka and he took me out to the edge of the desert at about about sunrise, and I had another hundred k's to do on the unicycle.
Speaker 1: That I imagine you don't want to be hungover, and.
Speaker 3: He took There were lots of I rode off a lot of hangovers on that unicycle. We're in Australia, people off of your drinks for your good efforts, and it's rude to say no. And anyway, took me to the edge of the desert in the middle of nowhere and he.
Speaker 9: Said, Sammy, look out there, look out there, have a good look.
Speaker 3: And I went, yeah, yeah, I've been I've been looking at this for eleven point four ks an now for the last four months, mate, And you know I can yeah, I see you. And he's like, n nah, nah, look mate, have a look. What do you see? What do you see? Semi? He's so intense and I'm like, oh, I see just like you know, shrubbery, shrubbery, shrubbery, that's what I say, is it?
Speaker 9: No, Sam, it's a fucking supermarket. I've seen a supermarket.
Speaker 3: He goes, it's.
Speaker 9: Aldie, It's Carl's it's all worse and more said, you're not looking at it right, mate. You got to look at it like the Blackfellows.
Speaker 3: It's a supermarket.
Speaker 9: Everything you could want to eat is in that shrubbery.
Speaker 3: So you just see shrubbery, mate, I see a supermarket. And I've looked at the bush differently ever since I had that moment with him, because all I saw was like bracken and tumbleweed. But apparently there was Apparently it was much more bountiful than mine. My eyes suggested. I was a bit wobbly on the unicycle the next day.
Speaker 2: That is, That is brilliant, and I'm glad you mentioned this next film. I mean hoping somebody even nominates it as a film I haven't seen, or at least nominated as one.
Speaker 1: Of their favorite films.
Speaker 2: Apocalypt though, is one of the I'm not sure if it's because of Mel Gibson's involvement a lot of but I think this didn't give it a chance, but it is one of It is a brilliant, brilliant film.
Speaker 3: It is universal and compelling and doesn't need English. It got me. It got me that film because you wonder what would I do in that position? There's this young man. He's in the middle of the forest. He's his tribe's happy, he's fulfilling his role. He's got a baby on the way, or maybe maybe one or one on one on the way, or I got a couple of kids. He's trying to be good. He's trying to be a good man. And so so as a young man, when I was watching it, I was trying to relate to that. You know, I'm trying to put trying to put put them one foot in front of the other and do the right thing. And then their their their tribe just gets mauled by this other larger tribe. And his wife ends up in a hole in a hole, like trapped in this big hole that she can't get out of. And he and he gets but you know it becomes a slave and gets taken off to do this backbreaking work in some mind, you know, forever away, and he's got to get back to his wife who's stuck in a hole with the baby, and and it just raises the question, how would you go for your family? And you know, as a guy that did sixteen thousand k's on a unicycle for his sister, I I'm really into that, how into that kind of prove prove yourself to your family, Like I've done nothing but try to improve myself to my family in my life. I'm not trying to impress myself. I'm not trying to do anything other than than try and get my family to love me. And and I had a complex relationship with my sister, and that sixteen thousand kilometers on a unicycle certainly took care of that. And and you know, I managed to prove I managed to prove that there's nothing more important. I mean, I don't and have kids, so far a beat from me to be the one rabbiting on about family. But if I did have a kid, I wouldn't cope. I'm forty three and I want nothing more than to have a kid. But I can't even bear the thought of it. I can't even bear the thought of it. How would I protect it? Like every every day just living in fear of that child coming to harm, And it just bothers me so greatly that I can't become a dad because I'm so scared of a child that's not even born yet. And I'm like, well, if I'm this scared now, how scared would I be if I actually had one, And you know, so family is kind of all.
Speaker 2: That fear doesn't go away when you have kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I think you learned to live.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, we're possibly built differently, and we're all built differently. But what I have found, like I find myself, I was going down that little rabbit hole in my head and going what if what if this happens?
Speaker 1: Happened, and it's a petrifying place to go.
Speaker 2: So I need to kind of snap out of it and remind myself, you know, this is life. This is you know, You've raised give them the best job you can and you're still protecting them, you know, but they are getting older and they and anything can happen to any of us at any time.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: So it is life. Life is there to be lived. It is, but you do learn to compartmentalize that Fearn't.
Speaker 3: What an idiot that would let fears stop him from doing something that's so wonderful, you know. I mean, I've done three hundred school visits considering what you've done, and you know, I've spent my life with kids. For the last ten years, I've been visiting schools and I've run treasure hunts with five hundred kids, you know, just to give the parents a break come back three hours later, you know. And I've got a lot of kids in my life. I've I'm a stepdad to some and a surrogate dad to others. And you know, I've had kids in my life. I got of my nephew when I was eighteen, you know, So I've been bringing up I've been helping kids out the whole time. But but but what but that film, that film is why I don't that that guy knowing that he's that he the love of his life is in a hole and he's chained to a whole bunch of other slaves. How do I get out of these chains? The thought of that, like even just talking about it, about a fictional character in a film that's in that position, is giving me the heb gbis that that film was such a sick film to watch for me, because I just don't know how he would have bared it. And and and then he fights his way out and he finds her, and he gets her because because that's his family, and and oh my god, it's just.
Speaker 1: Like it's I really don't let apocalypt though stop. You from having kids. Just don't go to South America. Just don't go to that part of the world.
Speaker 2: But if you haven't seen it, really give it a chance, a chance, give it a chance. When you bump into somebody who has seen Apocalypto, I think everyone loves it. Who's who's who's seen it or who you know wants to talk about still And it's and it's it's it's all that stuff he's built into it. And even if you take that stuff away, it is it is just a brilliant Chase film.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and a love story, you know, it's it's, it's, it's it's Shakespearean in its epics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's. It's Mel Gibson's best directive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for sure. And and he's a genius, you know whatever he is, you know, personal mistakes or whatever he's done. I mean, I'm not I'm not the one to judge that. I'm here to talk about his films, and and and he's an insanely talented director. He is wasted as an actor. He is born to tell these stories from behind the camera. And I'm so glad that he realized that. And I'm so glad that he made the move because actings are limited.
Speaker 2: A limited thing around eighty seven now gives it was making Leath the weapon. We're going to talk about a film now from around that time. Predator is the film we're actually here to talk about. We've already have a lot of territory already. But let's have a word from our sponsor. Mate, What did you think?
Speaker 3: I liked it? Yeah, I really liked it. The stakes were up from the start. You know, the number one rule of storytelling is that the stakes must be up, you know, the number one you know, I learned this when I wrote a film and screen Australia gave me an American film script editor that had edited Pirates of the Caribbean, Shrek and I am legend. So I worked with a script editor from Hollywood and he's the guy that taught me that that your lead character must be facing seemingly insurmount of odds. And that's the number one rule of the number one rule of storytelling is conflict and seemingly insurmountable odds. They're they're two things that you're not going to really tell a story. You're not going to tell a story that people are going to want to see unless the stakes are up, and which is why are you're constantly getting directors coming and trying to kind of raise the stakes with their actors. You don't want your actor to seem too casual. You know, if the actor is in a mall and they've lost their kid, then you need that moment of panic that a parent feels. You need to go there and maybe even further and flesh that out. So I was really impressed with the stakes. I felt like like it mattered, like they weren't just flying in for something. They were a team. I thought that the director did well to kind of to drop in on something that was already happening, and I didn't feel like this was just the actors getting together and starting the story. I felt like they'd worked their backstory. I felt like the characters knew who they were in relation to each other. And even though it's just kind of a you know, it's got elements of just being a slot kind of action horror film, I can see why why it achieved kind of cult status. Arnie's acting in it is really good. It's much better than in a lot of his other work. I don't know what it is about this director, but this director seemed to pull out an intensity from him that I enjoyed. It's very easy for me when I'm watching an Arnie film to to to not be in it. You know, you need those great actors for you to stay in the film. And Arnie Arnie is so terrible that that it's hard to kind of that it's hard to kind of get involved on an emotional level or to be invested in his character. I usually don't give it, give it, give it to him what happens to him, because I don't just because he's acting is fairly and authentic, so I don't want to engage in a real level.
Speaker 1: Or really I thought a lot about Arnie as I was watching this film, and this asked myself, why or why what is it? Why? Why have we all fallen in love with acting? It's not his acting?
Speaker 2: And I and I wonder because it's interesting because I found that the start kind of tough. I agree to some of the stuff you're saying, but I also felt like, I there's no and then you know, you know, if you're doing a rewrite on this, you know somebody said let's do another version of this, or if you're making it now, you know you'd be tempted to. I'm sure somebody a producer would say, or a script out that would say, can.
Speaker 1: We put some emotional steaks in it for these For these men, we.
Speaker 2: Don't know anything about their personal lives, which is kind of fine because they're a kind of commando kind of squad and you know, but there's no and this is the stocky The stocky version would be, you know, seeing Arnie's family, you know, what's waiting for him at home? What what are the emotional steaks in it for Dutch played by Arnie, who is actually Austrian in real life.
Speaker 3: Anyway, someone was taking the piss there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did worry for a while, Like I didn't like any of these characters for a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not. They're not They're not likable.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 3: From you. I mean, we're coming from films where our characters are likable in our films.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and and that's one of the things that you know, like and sometimes it gives me the ships where you heard just say they need.
Speaker 1: To be likable. They don't always need to be likable. They need to be interesting, relatable and then it'll be interesting. Yeah, we all loved it was Tony Soprano likable. Maybe not initially, you know, we grew to like him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If they're fascinating, that's enough, exactly. Yeah. But I'm not even story if they were even fascinating to me, they just kind of, uh, you know.
Speaker 3: That's what the film's missing. Yeah, and and and it's it's missing that humanness.
Speaker 1: The first bit of human humanity for me that came into the film was when I think Jesse Ventura gets killed and Matt says, not's coming near this place with that ship and on some I guess Urgent mag he was a good soldier.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 8: My friend.
Speaker 1: And that was the first bit of emotion or humanity.
Speaker 3: That's great dialogue. Yeah, that's great dialogue. Even even bad actors could make you feel with those two lines. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's good writing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I did find it hard to emotionally invest. I felt like I was. But what did get me, and this is where I think it kind of makes up for it a bit, is how how sparing the director chose to be about this phantom kind of nemesis, this this predator. The fact that I didn't see the predator for so long was really effective.
Speaker 1: Did you find it.
Speaker 2: I found it infinitely better when the Predator was in his kind of chameleon state as opposed to when we started him same because when I saw him it was like, you look like you've jumped off the set of the mass singer.
Speaker 3: Yep, it could be.
Speaker 2: So I loved And I do wonder if the lessons they learned from Jaws as far as holding off when we see this this the shark, which was actually we've spoken about this episode of Silly Pecola that was all a production the shark. The shark was actually supposed to be in the film earlier. It ended up being a bit of a shit shark.
Speaker 3: But it's the same effect. It is exactly the same effect, the less is more effect, I mean, and it's not a rule that's used or embraced a lot in Australia, and in Australia we're terrified of you know, we have to spell it all out in Australia. I think the less is more things really powerful. And and and also they had the po V of the Predator which was this kind of like heat It was like a heat vision thing, like like you imagine special ops people would use when they're looking through buildings to look for people. Yeah, so you're so. I thought. I thought the POV that they used was really interesting. And then when an and then when the and when the predator was chameleonic ie kind of silvery and sea through that that was great. And then when I caught flashes of him, it was very interesting. But I would have been fine if I never did. Yeah, and so I thought, I thought, I thought it was really well crafted for what it was, because what it is is quite a simple story and.
Speaker 1: The hunters becoming the hunters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly exactly. But for some reason I cared and I can't work out why.
Speaker 2: The film jumped expositionally from me, like it went. It went from being okay, I'm not sure if I like any of these characters. When the Predator gets there, you're in and for a while, I'm like, can the predator police come and kill these soldiers please? I wonder when this film is made in nine to eighty seven, we're just kind of trained to go wei barrack for the Americans in every situation. When you watch it in twenty twenty one and you've got these you know, we know a lot more about the American military and sometimes is in their agendas.
Speaker 1: It's not enough to go we are on your side now. And that's why I found I think.
Speaker 2: If I was watching it as a twelve year old in eighty seven, I'd be like, full, I'm with Arnie, I'm I'm with a polo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's getting this done.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When you're watching it now, I'm like, yeah, I must. I think your mission might be a little bit nefarious and your reasons maybe, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think in twenty twenty one, patriotism is different. Yeah, it's we've kind of we're not We're not quite so simplistic now, are we. No. I mean, we used to be kind of blind in our allegiances. But what with the proliferation of public knowledge and kind of you know, and and now that the media is kind of diversified to the point where we can get so many different perspectives that that that it's no longer it's no longer you're no longer guaranteed just to wave the flag.
Speaker 1: No, No, that's a good point.
Speaker 3: And and and I wasn't rooting for them, per se, And I would have been fine if they had got mangled. Yeah, and most of them did get mangled anyway. They didn't.
Speaker 2: But what I did find was, eventually, I think because the Predator was so barbaric in their deaths, even though mate I didn't particularly take or warm to many of their special co op commandos, that I.
Speaker 1: Found myself wanting Arnie to win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I did too. For some reason. I saw, I saw an Arnie I wasn't used to do in this film.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think he's better in this film than I've seen here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I thought. I thought the makeup was really good as well, and I thought the intensity was really good. He's never looked better, and I don't think he's ever acted better. I don't know what it is about that group, or maybe he just kind of belongs in a jungle with a weapon and the team. But yeah, you know, but definitely definitely found myself kind of rooting for Arnie and and for the and for the female character. I can't remember her name. I didn't really, I wasn't so invested that I knew all the names of everyone, and like, I forgot a lot of it as soon as I've seen it, and and at one point I may have had a Nana napp.
Speaker 2: There was there was Billy, who I'm not completely sure if he was. He was a Native American character, and I may miss a reference to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he definitely was presented that way for sure, because he was the trackers.
Speaker 2: Because originally that's right, because originally he was. This idea for the story was the lead was going to be a Native American Indian and he was, you know, he was going to be the one taking the predator on, which I find is a fascinating idea like that's I thought.
Speaker 3: I thought that that thread was probably the most interesting. I mean, I loved the way he took off all these weapons and went to face the predator mano a mano, you know, I mean, whereas, of course, you know, Arnold's taken all the all the all the guns and all the bullets.
Speaker 1: And when he said I'm scared. Mmmm, that was that was another moment.
Speaker 3: Can mask Let's get the riga. She says, the same fucking thing, the jungle that came alive and took him. H Billy, you know something for what is it? I'm scared Butcher, boh shit, you ain't afraid of no man.
Speaker 5: There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no, man, were all there. That's losing it.
Speaker 1: Losing is cool. There's nothing but a couple of guys running around out there, and we got to take him down.
Speaker 3: You still don't understand it telling to you whatever it is out there killed Hopper and now it wants us.
Speaker 2: Because again it's it's mistakes, isn't it's these even these special commanders, they know they're in a they're in a hell hole here, man.
Speaker 3: I mean when they find the team that was in there previously skinned hanging from the trees, the stakes go up again. I mean, it's not that's the other thing. It's it's kind of got a nice horror element in terms of the you know, you know, limbs, limbs.
Speaker 2: And imagine it's more ever petrifying, you know, in eighty seven.
Speaker 3: That's what I thought. If I was watching this back then, this would have blown my noodle. Yeah, you know, I would have just been like, oh my god. You could see where it kind of created new ground at the time in terms of how graphic it was, how violent it was at times. It certainly didn't hold back, but we are largely desensitized decades later, and it takes a bit more to shock us. These days, however, we're more used to CGI shocks rather than kind of special effects shocks, and it was good for me to see the makeup and the special effects the way it used to be, because for me, that's more realistic than CGI. When I mean, when I saw and arm get blown off and then I'm looking at the stump like, it didn't look CG at all. It looked like someone had gotten really fucked up. So that made it kind of even though this predator thing is so unreal, their injuries were really real. And yeah, so it's kind of I didn't quite know where to sit with it because you've got to suspend your disbelief for this predator character, but then everything else is being played on a kind of real level.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, overall, a bunch of characters that I'm not overly invested in, But the director did a good enough job keeping the tension up and keep and keeping the predator elusive and scary and ghost like for me to actually enjoy the film.
Speaker 2: They enjoy getting their guns out, you know that that that handshake between a polo and yeah, yeah, I mean they shot.
Speaker 1: That was that was a fun day.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Yeah, I mean it's one of the iconic moment Arnold' org Zendegger the terminator doing a fish but with the guns got absolutely flex with a polo crep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, and they basically they're doing an arm wrestle without a table. Yeah and yeah, I mean, have you ever seen his pecks bulge bulge more mightily.
Speaker 1: One of the guys who played Hawkins was Shane Black, a screenwriter who wrote the leath of weapon films.
Speaker 3: No Way, Yeah, and he I didn't know.
Speaker 2: He's one of the absolute masters of the comedy action genres. He made more recently Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, the nice guys, Gosling, Yeah, iron Man three. I think they brought him in for Yeah, he's I think the first one who gets killed. He's the one who's really telling those those gags about pussy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really that didn't age well, No age well, and no wonder It's about the only dialogue there is in the first half hour forty five minutes too. It's like, man, you're going to choose the moments you do have to talk to do that? Yeah, And it was and luckily the jokes missed in the film and everyone just kind of thought, you idiot. Yeah, in that sense, it's aged well, but yeah, I didn't quite an, I didn't understand it, obviously, I didn't see the humor.
Speaker 2: No, the human kind of misses even I think the humor that maybe was either kind of adlid in the moment or even one of the most iconic lines is get to the chopping, yeah, which is not there's nothing.
Speaker 1: Funny about that line. Apparently the actress who was playing Anna kept on pissing herself laughing when Arnie was saying that, like because she could not understand the word.
Speaker 2: That he was was just like to keep on keep on saying it. There's a line, you know, stick around, Arnie kind of does in the machete or whatever, and.
Speaker 1: Stick around, Yeah, that's it's I feel like it's probably the start of those arnieisms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is, it is. Yeah, stick around and I'll be back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll be back is obviously, you know, iconic from the terminator, but as far.
Speaker 3: As the same same type of thing though, right, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: I'll be back is kind of not. There's no humor in that. Really, it's almost a statement.
Speaker 3: Of or in us to la vista, nor in stick around. I mean, I can see the stick around thing.
Speaker 1: Was it's funny because he's even pale to go idea.
Speaker 3: I kind of I kind of went like, I kind of like went like this when I heard it, I went it was a bit of a like a kind of Grimace.
Speaker 2: This is where it started. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, that's how much. There's a knock knock references he does knock.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of the best lines I think in the film is if it bleeds, we can kill it.
Speaker 1: And that's that's a great line, wonder because.
Speaker 2: It just flows nicely, only delivers it well, but it gives it gives you hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, if it bleeds, we can kill it. That that that was the first time I realized that they had a chance. That was the reveal of the Achilles bleeds. Okay, well it must be vanquishable. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you've brought out all the lines that I mean, there's not a lot of them in the you know, it's mostly a bang bang, run, run, climb, climb.
Speaker 2: I mean in the AFL, Lee Matthews was coaching Brisbane and Essendon with a powerhouse team at the time and it looked like nobody could beat them, and Lee Matthews I think said either in a in to his team at halftime, or it might have been in a press confers or got leaked that he had said it, and he quoted Britter than Us saying, if it bleeds, we can kill it.
Speaker 3: That well, I mean, and the mantra for journalism way back when and now, if it bleeds at leads, Yeah, that's the number one. That's the number one philosophy and journalism. That's how you get on the front page. If it bleeds at leads. Every newspaper editor has had to obey that rule. And that's why that's why we see war in the news and not peace, because it doesn't rate.
Speaker 2: I liked that there was a point where you thought, because it eventually becomes Arnie.
Speaker 1: Originally the film was going to be just Arnie.
Speaker 2: One of the pictures was just have it as Arnie one on one.
Speaker 3: I'm glad it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think who said, now let's do it as a as a team, you know, choice from him? Yeah, yeah, well played Arnie.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have done that.
Speaker 2: It's me from the get go, and I like, you know, and then obviously they get killed off. I think I mentioned before the predator doesn't arrive until like forty two minutes in. Yeah, and and they get killed off quite quickly. I was surprised and how quickly it was happening. I thought, Okay, there might be more time between kills, and then it's just pretty much Arnie and Anna.
Speaker 1: I forget what happened to Anna. I was watched it last night, but what she made it?
Speaker 3: To the chopper. She made the.
Speaker 2: Choppers, of course she did, she did. And I like the waterfall, you know what it gives you. You know, I think when you're when you're making a film like that, you're after a different terraine to you know, this is almost like we're heading into the third act, if you like. And it gives you that, and it also gives you a feeling like he's away, he's gotten away. And maybe the predator doesn't like water. That's what I was thinking. Maybe maybe this is going to be the thing that kind of, you know, he uses. And then there's that great when he gets to the mard and he kind of lies down, he's exhausted, and then you just see him visibly like a splash behind him, and you know this ain't over yet. I think all these films when there is there's a chase going on, there's there's a hunt. You need that moment to remind the audience. And Terminator too, does it so well with the liquid nitrogen dude and which Cassidy were spoken about them. It's doing really well where it's like, no, this ain't over yet, You've got some work to do.
Speaker 3: Still again, this takes up, go up again exactly, and it's almost by that time you're a bit ragged as of viewer. You're like, oh fuck, I hope he's oh no, yeah, yeah, And that's when you really have to dig in.
Speaker 2: Yeah and that and that, and then so he gets and then he basically spends the rest of the film covered in mud. And that's why I imagine his skin has always been amazing. Apparently conditions were extremely hot, and that it was not necessarily a fun thing for an they have to.
Speaker 3: I can I can relate to that. I've I've I've had to wear things for weeks on end that.
Speaker 1: Physically you have been putting.
Speaker 3: The one well I had to one of them was one of them was a film where I had to wear these contact lenses that covered the entire eye so that I could look bloodshot. So they weren't just lenses over the pupil, that were lenses over the entire rise, so that they could bloodshot the whites of them. And I had to wear them for about four weeks, and I've got very sensitive eyes. And the other one was that was a little film that doesn't even need to be messed, and and then the other the other one. And this sounds so it sounds so pierce week, just like, oh you didn't didn't like a bit of mud on your face? Trust me, After weeks and weeks of this stuff, it can really get to you. But the wigs for Molly, you know, seven weeks of just fucking really wishes headache. That well, we shot it. We shot it in the summer, and I'm a profuse sweater and they made me get botox under my arms so that so that the costumes didn't get sweaty, because I was wearing a lot of skin tight seventy shit and so my sweating has been a problem on everything I've ever done, but no more so on Molly, which we shot in summer. So they botoxed under my arms so that to preserve the costumes, and that meant all the sweat came through my head and my head was of course staple down with a wig. So it sounds like nothing, just like it sounds like like mud on. You know, having to wear a bit of mud in your face is nothing, but when it's hour after hour, day after day, week after week, these things can become quite hard to handle.
Speaker 2: The really last thing we shot on how to Stay Mad this year was me in a flashback thing. It's what were you in just in a week? Is a wedding speech that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds like you just wearing a wig right now? A big deal?
Speaker 1: And it was. It was I would have had the wig on for an hour and a half, two hours, Yeah, how'd you go in? You have a headache at the end of it. Yeah, yeah, so that's now and a half. Yeah, all day for you know, for seven weeks. Lot easier to shave.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Look, I think mud would be the same. I just imagine any of those things, they just become an encumbrance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: I can sympathize with him with the mud thing. Yeah, you know, I mean it's it's it's it's you know, when you make your ship, there's no glamour there, you know, what I mean. On my thirtieth birthday, I was doing a job for Brendan cow or Anthony Hayes or one of those guys I was on. It was my thirtieth birthday, unpaid job short film. I was in a skin tight devil suit with a pitchfork and a dick print, like like you know, like you know how those skin type things they hide nothing, and I was I was just appindic on the day, you know, it just depends on the day. And yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: Just afford the fluffer.
Speaker 3: I just remember standing there, just going and then the producer walked past and made a joke about my dick print, so I stabbed him with my fucking fork, my devil's fork, stabbed him with it like it was made of plastic. But I just remember thinking as a thirty year old on my birthday in this skin tight kind of devil's suit, working for nothing, trying to be funny, and just gone, what the fuck are we doing? Why do we do this? And I'm keen to ask you because I don't do it anymore much. I just I can't handle it anymore. How you've just come off set. Like for people listening, they probably don't understand how much you have to go through just to get on set. I mean the amount of years that you have to devote to producing something, to creating it, to building it up, then only to not get it funded, then only to not make it. I mean, I guarantee you if for this job that you've just shot, there'd be two or three other jobs that you've worked your absolute backside off on and haven't been able to see through to fruition. Surely there's a couple. Absolutely, How do you cope with I want to know, because you're still enthusiastic. You know, you've just come off this job with Lisa mceune. You produced it, you wrote it, you start in it. How the fuck do you still have the energy for it? Mate? Because I lost my will to go through it all.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean part of the enthusiasm I have is I mean I've been fortunate, you know, like you talk about, Yeah, we bang our heads against the wall for the projects that don't get up, but when they get up, it is, you know, it is wonderful.
Speaker 1: And then you start feeling a responsibility and then.
Speaker 3: You feel good.
Speaker 1: You feel good, but you feel a responsibility.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love it, and I hope we can do another season of it because we have this once. These characters are alive in your head and.
Speaker 1: When it becomes and they become real, yeah, like want, I want to.
Speaker 3: And that's what you're chasing, isn't it. That's what you're happy to keep working for and will make no end of sacrifices to get to that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I and I want to see.
Speaker 2: We have two teenage like not teenage, one teenage daughter and a ten year old daughter in the show. I want to see. I want to keep them alive, not the actors. I want to get these characters alive. They're real to me.
Speaker 3: So you're creatively you're creatively invested in and married to it. So you get that creative jee because it's your story. So it's your baby, and it's worth nurturing through.
Speaker 1: Yes, And that's why I's devastated when you work on something, because you can have the same feeling about something that we haven't seen on screen yet. But you you put the work in and you develop something and in your head you can see these characters and you want to get them out. I remember saying I think it was Evan stro Hoskin and we're doing. I love you too, I said.
Speaker 2: My biggest fear is that I don't get all these stories out. You know, that's great, and probably only probably at five percent of them out. I'm I'm not going to get all of them out.
Speaker 3: But that's great, see, I think, yeah, see, you're not going to end up disillusion If they're your stories, the thing is always a gun fire. They're not my stories.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm coming in nice minute, and everything that I need to do as well, I'm truly pre shaped by the time I arrive. Yeah, I mean, I'm you know, I don't have the power to make any creative decisions. I mean, the number one rule in my game is fucking stand where, say what, and don't have any fucking ideas. You know, on the last shoot that I was on and went back to acting last year for a few months, and yeah, I dared to have two ideas. But you know, it's just simple stuff, like my character's a been agitated about this stuff that's happening. Can my character be standing in this scene? No, he's sitting there with already. You know, Like, I'm not even allowed to I have no agency over the character at all. I'm not allowed to decide how the character moves. I'm not allowed to decide whether the character stands or sits up. Everything's been pre shaped, everything's been storyboarded. By the time I get in there, I'm literally a marionette.
Speaker 1: I suggest that you never work with him again, but.
Speaker 3: That's been every job in my whole career.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the way we work on you know, certainly the sets that I've been with it today, you actually do.
Speaker 3: It the way it's should be done. You're a collaborative. This is the thing about comics they used to like they're used to working together and finding it together and creating it together. If you just do straight drama, mate, you can forget about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we also work with directors though, who who respect the actor's space and and they we have our block throughs and everyone is out. It's just a director. Are you allowed to determine the movement of the scene. Yeah, yeah, direct Now the director, it's a conversation.
Speaker 3: I'm not allowed to block. I can't block. No, that's They tell me what the blocking is and I go, yeah, but can I go there to get the salt at that point?
Speaker 2: And then I no, No, We've already planned it. I mean sometimes they might say, listen, that's going to stitch us up. That might stitch it up because we don't have the time to cover it.
Speaker 1: I wasn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't planning on covering that. How important is it for you to walk over there to get the salt?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: That could be a conversation. So it's not like, you know, actors get everything.
Speaker 3: You don't get cart blanche. But but you're part of station. Yeah, and that's because it's your job that you've created, that you've written, that you're involved with. You've got some creative say the directors we.
Speaker 2: Brought in and also like I've learnt off them. That's how it really should be done as well. And I'm there, you know, certainly if I'm active, and even if I'm not acting, hopefully I'm there most days to you know, be on set to kind of go, yeah, well let's if you want to play some dialogue, let's play some dialogue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's dangerous. So you've got to respect the writing writing. I'm not the actor that comes in and thinks he can write better than the writers, Like.
Speaker 1: He's always shoot the scene. But then if you want to have a play list.
Speaker 3: I'm very respectful of the writers. I'm not wanting to come in and do you know, to do a wrestle and rewrite everything. You know, I'm not, I'm not that deluded. But at the same time, I just feel there's such a lack of agency that had turned me off. And I went away, and you know, and I went away for six years because I found that I didn't have much agency over the molly meldrum that I created, that was that was totally just what they wanted and and so so I bailed for six years, and then I went back last year. I thought, I wonder whether I'm just being a preck about this. You know, it sounds like you're a bit disillusioned. To anyone listening is probably like, what are you complaining about?
Speaker 1: Mate?
Speaker 3: It's great life. But I like to have control over how I do things, and I like to have some sense of agency when it comes to the decisions I make at work. And so I went back to it last year and it was everything that I remembered. And but then but then, I'm in a different world to you. You're in a world where where where you're with you're you know, you're with a creative team creating some building something together. I'm in a world where I'm a gun for hire and I have to I have to be dropped in and to do something very specific. I think there's a way you can have both. Yeah, well there seems to be. There seems to be with your work, that's for sure. But you know, I mean I suppose I'm you know, I used to be just a straight TV actor and you know, I don't have any I don't many ideas, that's the rule.
Speaker 1: I think there's more ideas.
Speaker 2: We have unlock some of those ideas over over a beer or a coffee one day. Hey, let's go to the end of the film. So what did you make of it? Basically becomes any kind of stands with you know, like a flaming kind of a fire torch and full of Martin and he kind of does you know, a jungle kind of raw.
Speaker 1: It becomes full w w A. He's summoning.
Speaker 2: You could always hear the theme music, and you can always hear the w create. You could be could be surrounded by wrestling fans with their with their banners at that stage, and then the predator kind of takes up the challenge in a way he kind of like goes, okay, do you take that as the Predator kind of having some kind of honor system or like on a code that Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna fight you on on your because it basically becomes a fist fight.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do. Yeah, yeah, I might have anthropomorphosed the Predator. I don't see it as a machine really, I just see it as the other Arnie. You wouln't be surprised if the director told me the Predator was actually just Arnie. But yeah, yeah, definitely, definitely. It's it was that primal scream, you know, that primal scream, and you're like, yeah, yeah, I think it had to be artillery. Wasn't going to do it? Was it?
Speaker 1: No? You know, I'm not sure how I felt at the end. I think I was always a little.
Speaker 3: Let down that really didn't quite get there.
Speaker 1: No, because it's you, how are you going to kill this thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it really just comes down to a bit of a fistfight and a log that he's kind of planted. It felt a little bit yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, a little bit convenient it was taking that while he cared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. I would have I would have liked personally if if if they didn't make it to the Chopper. Yeah, I think it would have been more interesting film.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wondered that during it, and.
Speaker 3: A more interesting sequel left the Predator, had it just kicked fuss?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was in any of the other Predator movie, but it's pred of the two. And then it's press Alien, which you know, and yeah, I'm not sure if I if I'm into it enough to kind of check those out, but I.
Speaker 3: Think they get they get better. Yeah, yeah, they get better, I reckon.
Speaker 2: And then what did you think of the helmet off and when you saw or the alien when you're making the alien itself?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Great, Yeah, I thought, yeah, yeah, really good. I thought I thought the design, the design whoever did the design on all that was pretty epic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I wasn't disappointed.
Speaker 1: No, No, I wasn't disappointed. I thought it was impressive.
Speaker 2: I thought, I thought, my preferred option is to have the Predator like in these kind of like you know, incognito kind of yeah, you know Chameleon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I liked Chameleon. Predator yeah sure.
Speaker 1: And then I I and I like seeing the alien face.
Speaker 3: It would have been so easy to be disappointed when you did finally see it, Like I could have just no, because because everybody's got a different image in their head of what it must must look like. But I was pleased with the visuals I was given. Yeah, very pleased. I actually rate the film, But I just can't tell you why, Pete. Yeah, you know, I just can't tell you. I wasn't overly invested in the characters. You know, it's this, you know, there was nothing, nothing particularly outstanding about it. But for some reason I'm rating it. Still haven't worked out why. Yeah, because normally, normally that kind of film, I'd come in and just tear shreds through it. But for some reason, for some reason, it got me, I don't know.
Speaker 2: About half hour in, I thought I'm gonna this is gonna be one of those films where I'm like this, Yeah, what's wrong with it?
Speaker 1: But and yeah, there's been a bit of that.
Speaker 3: But I would have watched it all if I wasn't talking to you about it. Yeah, I think even if I wasn't coming in here to talk about it, I think I would have watched it all. Yeah, And that's saying a lot because I don't watch films entirely much anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you think of the Predator's human evil laugh he does the when.
Speaker 10: He gets yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Even an alien alien species have the same yah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: That's where that's when you get into slock territory. I mean, there were so many schlocky kind of moments. But the other weirdest moment for me, but it would be weird if it was some kind of coquettish kind of giggle.
Speaker 1: The weirdest moment for me.
Speaker 2: The weirdest moment for me was was the the final end credit Secrets where it just turned into an eighties sitcom. But did you see that right when the film ends and they basically have all the characters who have been like hard asses all the way through the film basically shooting guns and then turning to the camera.
Speaker 3: And laughing outtakes.
Speaker 1: It could have been the end of Growing Pains. It was incredible.
Speaker 3: It was very incongruent, wasn't it. But at the same time, we loved that stuff back then, or you know, there was nothing like watching a bit of behind the scenes is the credit road back in the day? Yeah, you know what I mean, it really breaks down that fourth wall, and that's a that's an important decision for a director to make. I mean, personally, if I was in charge of the Predator franchise, I wouldn't be breaking the fourth wall at all, not even in the credits. I don't want to see them clowning around. Hey, I've just I've just been invested in this like high drama.
Speaker 1: It really kind of reminds you.
Speaker 3: Reminded me of the eighties, but it minds.
Speaker 1: You straight away. It's like, Ah, that's right.
Speaker 2: I've been watching a movie, a movie, and the whole thing you've been joking to, but it's not a movie, and now you're going to say this and this is a movie and these are all actors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would recommend if someone hadn't seen Terminator and hadn't seen Predator, I'd say, watched Terminator. I still think the Terminator franchise is better, absolutely, But at the same time, that could be partly because I'm not into war and military stuff a lot, and there was a lot of Camo in this. I mean, I've seen a lot of military films, but I'm kind of there's something about war action isn't as interesting to me as suburban action or urban action. Yeah, like you know, saving Private Ryan didn't really get me, Predator didn't really get me. But if you chuck all that shit in a city like with Terminator, then then I'm right. I'm right into it because there's causeways and buses going over bridges, and I can relate to that much more easily than the jungle boogie.
Speaker 1: This has some fun facts. We love, a fun fact place you ain't see nothing yet involving Predator.
Speaker 3: The fun fact already is that actor that ended up writing all those others, Shane Black, shame Black. I'm not going to remember that name.
Speaker 2: What else I can tell you that this whole idea was born from a joke after a Yeah, which probably.
Speaker 1: Doesn't surprise you, but Rocky after Rocky four and.
Speaker 2: Rocky takes on Ivan Dago, and the kind of joke was, who you know, after, who's the next enemy going to be? It's gonna have to be an alien, a Rocky versus an alien. I think what somebody even joked might be et and that somebody thought, okay, imagine, Yeah, it's like a Stallone style character taking on an alien.
Speaker 1: Predator was born.
Speaker 2: The Predator body double was none other than mister van Dam, Jean Claude van Dam, but he was fired after a couple of days. We're complaining too much about it being too hot. You know, as we know, these conditions can not suit.
Speaker 3: J C v D, for the record, is one of the biggest fuck wits in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: I think that's been well and.
Speaker 3: You know these rumors, you know where there's smoke this fire. We've all heard night mare stories about him, especially on his Melbourne visits as well. He's visited Melbourne a couple of times and I've heard some first hand stuff so or some second hand stuff, but pretty close to the horse's mouth. I'm not surprised he couldn't hack it. He can't hack much.
Speaker 1: That Blake laying down the gloves mate.
Speaker 3: I'd like to see him try and wear a week for six weeks.
Speaker 2: John Claw in Molly too, he will Predator has eight minutes screen time. The Predator has eight minutes screen time. He makes the most of that. James Cameron helped with the design of that alien. They kind of they were working on it. He didn't quite real it wasn't quite working. James Cameron steps in and helps out, and yeah, it does a bit of fascinating on the Aliens of the Alien once it's the mask, yeah, yeah, yeah. And the same guy who played Predator who's in the suit, he was seven foot two, also played Harry in Harry and the Hendersons. So this is his line of work. You know, he's the kind of guy. He can wear a wig for eight hours a day.
Speaker 3: Imagine, but imagine having to do one of those superhero films and be in those fucking suits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, imagine that.
Speaker 3: You may imagine. Imagine you're an actor and you're like, oh, man, one day do all the big films and I'm going to make it in Hollywood and it's going to be amazing.
Speaker 7: I'm going to pay millions of dollars in the world's going to know this is going to be awesome. And then you get the offer we want you to do an X Men film or a Marvel film, and you're like, oh my god, all my dreams have come.
Speaker 3: True and they put you in a fucking suit for fucking three Well.
Speaker 2: The best example of this, and we spoke about literally in the very first episode of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet with Tom Lesson. David Prowse was brought on board placed Darth Vade are going to be in the suit.
Speaker 1: You're basically your body double. Will you use my voice? No, we're going to use James gel Jones. Then I turn of the Jedi. You'll see my face when the mask comes up.
Speaker 3: I mean you take the job. But yeah, it'd be a bit stifling, wouldn't it?
Speaker 1: Absolutely would mate. This has not been stifling at all. Mate. You are an absolute gentleman and.
Speaker 2: H sorry for the people have sworn more people one more.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's not good.
Speaker 1: I didn't even I didn't even heart.
Speaker 2: But thank you so much, mate, thank you for behalf of everyone, for the work you have done with Love your Sister.
Speaker 1: You have a new book out called Love your Mum.
Speaker 3: Called Dear Mom, Dear Mom. It's an collection of letters to mums written by notable notables such as yourself. Thank you for contributing to it. The publisher has just re ordered a reprint.
Speaker 1: Fantastic.
Speaker 3: We're making lots of money for kents of enguishment out of it. If anyone wants to get their mum a copy of Dear Mum for Mother's Day, I Love your Sister dot org click on market, go grab.
Speaker 2: One, get onto it. It's it's a great venture and this is a bloody entertaining read. I'm sure I can't wait to read the other letters. Who else is a written letters?
Speaker 3: Oh well, Patty Newton, Guy Pierce, Rebecca Gibney, Amanda Keller, Brian, Brian Mannix. The list goes on. There's over ninety letters.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. It is a beautiful idea. Well done, Sam. Great to see you, mate, and we'll catch up soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 8: Pete.
Speaker 1: Well, it's great to be back. Series three.
Speaker 2: If you wait seen nothing yet is underway and what a great way to kick off with Samuel Johnson, who is such a talented, passionate, honest man. And I've been fascinated with Samuel's journey for a long time now, both on screen and off screen, and I'm honored to call him a mate. So thank you to everyone who's returning for series three. We've got some great guests lined up. Judith Lucy has confirmed she will be chatting to me about Sound of Music in the next couple of weeks, so that will, I will predict be in the first half a dozen episodes of this season, so she'll be talking about the Sound of Music's great grassar lined up also Tom Ballard will be joining us and many more. Thank you for your emails, Yasney Podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Somebody said, I say too quickly. I'm going to slow it right down for you.
Speaker 2: Yasney, hy as n y. You ain't seen nothing yet. Yasney Podcast at gmail dot com. Get onto us, We've got some lovely feedback. Jan gone onto me. What a brilliant episode of Yasney with Ross Noble. I'm a regular listener and enjoy each episode, but was blown away with how articulate and erudyite Ross was about the themes in Wake in Fright. The way he ruminated about the consent issue, which is so topical at the moment, was brilliant. I've always enjoyed Russ when he's been on TV segments, but really haven't followed his shoes. He really did bring a new perspective to the film and I will now keep an eye out for his shows. And Jan, like everybody else who was written to me, has also pointed out that and that Funacello's name is actually pronounced fuona cello, funa cello, not funa cello. I prefer funa cello. But okay, Jan, it's Funicello and yes, so thank you for that. Jam, Thank you so much for listening. She's enjoying, loving the show and looking forward to the next series of How to Stay Married.
Speaker 1: Thank you, that'll be out in.
Speaker 2: Very soon, actually very soon, Jessica Lawrence gone on to me, Hi, Pete and the team, Pete and the team, that's me and Derek. I love yesterday's episode with myth and when you were discussing how everyone had their pulp fiction movie poster in their lounge droom, I had to share mine.
Speaker 1: This is hanging in our hallway.
Speaker 2: It hung on the wall of my teenage bedroom and has taken private place in our hallway since we moved in nearly six years ago. It is the pulp fiction framed poster that she has sent me. Yes, and she's also a big fan of the introductions you give to me guests, each one highly complimentary, world research and eloquently delivered.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that because I've tried to work on the more the series has gone along, because I'm trying not to repeat the same, the same you know, hyperboles and nudjectives from week to week.
Speaker 1: So thank you very much. I appreciate that. I really do.
Speaker 2: Jessica and Pam Harrison also got in touch high Pam she enjoyed and also to chat with myth about about Magnolia and when we refer to the frogs falling from the sky, Pam says, I haven't seen the full film for decades, but I recall there was a scene of a group of people, maybe protesting.
Speaker 1: That may not be correct, but a group.
Speaker 2: Scene that someone was holding a sign which quoted the verse from the Bible First Testament. I assume at a time I look this verse up and refer to frogs falling from the sky.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the hell it meant, but there you go. Love your work.
Speaker 2: And yes, she also I was blowing away the first time she saw Magnolia. I was blown away by the film the first time I saw. I tried to watch it a month ago, and I couldn't sit through it. Too dark and too depressing, and the Tom Cruise character and the role was triggering for me. It is interesting how movies can change, and our reactions to movies can change over the years, both sometimes positively and sometimes negatively. So thank you yasny Podcast at gmail dot com. I'm loving all the emails we are getting next. Thank you Derek Myers. He's back for series three. We are recording at Cassaway Studios dot com dot AU at Collingwood if you're in Melbourne, if you're looking to get a podcast started up, I know Samuel Johnson took Derek's card on the way out. It's a great space, very comfortable and we love recording here. Thank you Derek for putting all the episodes together. Next week on the show.
Speaker 1: And this was not planned.
Speaker 2: We actually have the man who Sam Johnson was chatting about in huge, glowing terms earlier in this podcast in this episode, Steve Curry.
Speaker 1: He will be joining us next week.
Speaker 2: No man has done more Australian television and movies than Steve Curry.
Speaker 1: You know from The Castle, you know him from The Nugget, Wog Boy, The King, the Cup, Hounds of Love.
Speaker 2: He's done so much and he's a great mate and one of the most talented actors we have in this Country's gonna be great to chat to him about all about a The nineteen fifty Oscar winner is nominated for fourteen one Best Motion Picture and a few others as well, starring the great Bete Davis.
Speaker 1: That's next week with Steve Curry on. You ain't seen nothing yet, and so we leave all Pete see man sul and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.