Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by quantas the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again this season, Quantus is prouds Toby be flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. Hello everybody, Welcome to The Unplayable Podcast. A very big day for Australia at the SCG. They now lead by one hundred and thirty four runs. One hundreds to Travis Head and Steve Smith highlighted the day and it was another tough day in the field for the English bowlers, wasn't it, lou But where do we start with? We've got to start with those hundreds, don't we, Travis Head and Steve Smith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, it felt like two kind of icons, current icons of Australian cricket just got to be themselves today. That was my takeaway from it. You know, Travis Head begins today adding seventy two to his overnight tally and just goes about it in the most laconic way you could possibly go about it, walking singles, smashing sixers, chatting with umpires, just you know, all round lark and good bloke that has kind of made him a loved figure in the Australian cricket and then Steve Smith just been the odd unit that he is, you know, signaling wides, you know, moving people from behind the side screen, like doing his funny hand movements.
Speaker 1: It was all there today on that Travis Head a bit about being laconic and being relaxed and looking singles. I know you're big on this that you made a point of.
Speaker 2: I thought you might have been starting with something else which I want to get to this on Travis Head, but yeah, there where you're going here? Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've been big on the fact that England have allowed him to walk singles. They haven't shied at his end when he's just been dawdling through. They've always had sweepers on the boundary, it has seemed, so there have been lots of options and opportunities for him to do that. I think in Perth or Adelaide we saw him walk backwards for.
Speaker 3: An entire run.
Speaker 1: It's been pretty funny stuff, but also from an English point of view, you'd probably be annoyed if that was your team allowing that to happen.
Speaker 2: Well, let's start with what Travehead had to say about that, and then I'll tell you what I kind of think about it. What we asked I asked Travis Head in the press conference just now, like what did Like I felt like it was a bit of a weird question, but like, did you expect England to maybe throw the ball at your stumps a few more times? Like these are supposed to be high intensity international game of cricket and he is walking a lot of singles. You know, he's hitting to his credit, like he's setting the deep fielder is back. I'm not criticizing England for doing that, like you have to. You have to do it in otherwise he's going to score at an even quicker rate than he is. But what the deep field is? So he kind of says that he walks walks him and he does the walking backwards, and he does it to elicited response from the change rooms. And it speaks a lot too. You know, he's kind of Alarican personality, but also like he is a guy who thinks a lot about I think team chemistry, team vibes, all these things. I think he's a very selfless cricketer. And so the way he conducts himself does have an eye on his teammates. Maybe that's giving him too much credit, but that's kind of basically what he said when I asked him about it. What I think is like from an England point of view, like, surely you're picking up the ball at square deep square leg or deep third man or wherever and throwing the ball at his end every single time. And yes, you're probably not going to get a run out because it's not like he's not looking at the ball when it's going down to the fielders. But if you can make him exert a little bit, like let's say he runs or walks thirty singles in his innings, I reckon it's probably fair to say he walked more than that, but that's thirty times. You're making him at least run at a higher intensity, at least half the pitch. Yep, you're probably not getting a run out, but like over the course of a long innings, that is going to wear you down. And you know, every hundred in this year is they've been big ones. It's been one hundred and twenty. This one's one hundred and sixty three, and the one in brisbanead one seventy Adelaide, exactly. It won's seventy sorry in Adelaide. Yeah, so's he's scoring heavily after making one hundred despite you know, maybe by his own mission, not being the absolute fittest guy in world cricket. That's got to be a major cross against what England like surely, and you know it's interesting they don't have a fielding coach out here. Surely the first thing the fielding coach is saying after the first time he sees that is ping the ball at Travis Head's stumps. I just thought, that's that's basics of cricket that they've allowed him to get away with this whole series.
Speaker 1: It's a show of intensity in the field as well, isn't it when you know you're trying to attempt to get run outs even if they might be slight chances.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and prior, yeah, like you're getting bad at everywhere, like you know Matthew Potts. You know, Ricky Ponting I think said he felt sorry for him today, like and that's not a dig at Matthew Potts. That's like a guy who's trying his best. And you know, like surely, as a matter of just backing up your teammates as a matter of backing up say Ben Stokes and Brighton Cars and Josh Tung who who tried that tried their guts out today, you know, like there's no no one's saying they're not trying. But you've got to surely have a bit of pride in your teammates, you know, the way Travis Head looks out for his teammates.
Speaker 3: It's a good point.
Speaker 1: And also the tea break on Fox Cricket, Travis Head said he was getting pretty tired as well by the time he'd faced one hundred and sixty six balls. So what if he's getting tired when he's only faced one hundred.
Speaker 2: Or exactly eighty. Yeah, so they could have least I mean, you're probably not going to eleasset it a wicket, you know, if he's making if he's facing one hundred balls and hitting a hundred off as many of them, you're probably not gonna get him out before then by doing that. But yeah, maybe you get him out one hundred, ten hundred and twenty. That can be the difference between winning a game and not.
Speaker 1: Now, Travis Head has scored eleven Test centuries, seven of them over one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 3: I asked him a question if he wanted.
Speaker 1: To get to a double century, and Test Cricket didn't quite word like that.
Speaker 2: Out.
Speaker 3: I think seven times between one fifty five did you want to get to the last and year after.
Speaker 2: The biggest company choose? Is pretty shit started, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Much much rather one hundred and sixty hundred serving than zero to ten. So I ain't going to complain about that. I think he's just got a he's got a brutal sense of humor. And you know, for those it's worth watching the full press conference on cricket dot com dot au. When you after you've listened to this, Travis Head went back at you, and I think I'm allowed to say this on the podcast. I guess if Travis Heads allowed to say in the press conference. But he said it was a shit stat that you that you've thrown out at him, and I thought I thought that was mean, Josh, because I did not think it was a shit stat. I think it was reinforcing the point you'd made earlier in the question, which was about, yeah, basically, do you want to get to that two hundred mark? He didn't quite see it that way.
Speaker 3: There was a little aspect of shit this to it.
Speaker 1: I'll give it that, yeah, because you know if and his point was, you can't complain about scoring over one hundred and fifty like you'll take it every day of the week. I've a scrowing fifteen or twenty. But yeah, probably the delivery was a bit more brutal than I was expecting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, And I don't think anyone's hanging him for getting out in the nervous one hundred and fifties, sixties and seventies.
Speaker 1: We have seen players in the past, though. You know, if they get out in the one hundred and nineties, you know, get quite frustrated and angry because you hate that.
Speaker 2: It's one of the things I hate most about cricket.
Speaker 1: Clearly Travis Head is not one of those. But Steve Smith, he got another century today. He's thirteenth in ashes cricket. I loved the moment when he brought it up, A bit of good game awareness from Bo Webster coming back for the third knowing that Smith was on ninety seven. Webster was running through to the danger end and my liquor anches at that moment. Lou Is actually not the moment itself, but all the idiosyncratic mannerisms around Smith today. He touched on it off the top. He was doing a lot of umpiring. He was even doing a bit of sledging. He had the fidgeting going, he had everything going. And he was the most distracted I think I've ever seen him. He stopped play for people in the crowd moving. I counted six or seven times. He was also distracted by Brighton Casta's sunglasses. At one point, he was distracted by a flyer on the Sun's screen. He was distracted by a woman eating ice creams, so.
Speaker 2: She wasn't eating the ice cream she was transporting them back to her seat mates. I think.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's pretty much a royal flush in terms of all the distractions you can get at the cricker ground.
Speaker 2: I missed the fly the sun cream one. What was that one?
Speaker 1: That was so you know those signs that people hold up in the crowd six on one side and four on the other. There was one in the middle of the site screen and so one of the Patriots pulled across to pick it off. But of course the game couldn't start until that was clear.
Speaker 3: But I mean, it.
Speaker 1: Emphasizes the point that Smith. And it's been said many times he's a batting savant, isn't it. He needs all the conditions to be correct. And today once he got them correct, he was on. He wasn't going to get out. So we I was watching him in the leading to this test. I think it was the day before the test, and he was batting under quite dark skies on the day before yet day before the test, in the net and it was so dark that some of the television reporters had to put their lights on to do their live crosses. And so they how they typically do it is they have you know, Steve Smith or whoever it is, batting in the background and it's you know, I'm Joe Bloggs from Fox Sports or ABC or whatever, and it looks like you know, shows that they're there at the venue, and you've got to get that light on the on the face of the reporter Will Smith while he was batting. I mean this was even more so today Castles at mid off. The reporters were probably at like just the forward point, so way out of his eye line, you would think. But twice I think he I think he got the guy from Fox and you got the guy from the lady from the ABC to turn off their their lights and he's kind of complaining about having the lights in his eyes. If I can continue my rant against England the bright and Cast thing with the sunglasses.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know you've got a strong take on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean how about no, Steve Smith.
Speaker 1: So let's walk this back for those who missed it, and we will have the video Castle's fielding it mid off. He had his sunglasses on the front of his England cap. They were reflecting the sunlight into Steve's vision. Steven asked him to just flip the sunglasses onto the back of his head, which Casts obliged, didn't he straight away?
Speaker 2: Could you imagine Steve Smith asking Stuart Broad that question like he would? Smith, I think would be smart enough to know not to ask Broady that question, because if he knew about that being being an issue, he'd be dancing around and flicking his son. He's up and down like that, like there's just and I just thought that was a sign of and it's it's really hard to criticize Cast because out of everyone he, out of anyone from New England team, he's been the one who's you know, just tried his absolute pants off in this series. So yeah, not a slide against him, but like, yeah, how about no step Like I'm gonna wear my sunglasses where I want to. I'm a mid off. They shouldn't be in your eye line. Deal with it, mate, Like it's staggering me that you know a competitor like Ben Stokes would allow his teammate to kind of go on with that.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine and if you asked the opposing medoff next Saturday when you're playing to move there.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine how much sledging you would kind of get? And you know it jars a bit, I think with what happened with Martus Labushanine last night and what of all people, Stuart Broad was kind of retelling on Channel seven this morning, so he said that he'd spoken to Ben Stokes and relaid his version of the story from the heated exchange that Stokes had with Labushane. So from Stokes's retelling, Labashane had said something to Travis Head encouraging Travis Head. I think this is more or less what we suspected, saying, O great shot, well done, bowling on the leg pad on the pads or something so there was an element of maybe goading Stokes without actually speaking to him, and it seemed to be something. I think he must have said something about I was missing leg and apparently Stokes said, we don't need three umpires out of it, and that's why he had those three fingers up when he was kind of sledging him, so that that's all that was, and Broad was retelling that and then Soaks gets him out the next over Labashane that is, and apparently there's an England plan to get Labashane out of his bubble, so you know, getting getting into the contest with him, and Stokes took that opportunity and the plan worked. So take that for what what what it is? You know they're trying to get in Marnas's face and trying to get him out of his bubble. We have about trying that with Travis's head, How about trying that with with Steve Smith? You know it might be worth it to They've tried everything else to Steve Smith, sorry, tried everything else to Travis Head. You know Bumpers. You know they had Matthew Pott's bowling that really hard one with over the wicket, trying to bowl wide of off stump with a seven two field, maybe getting in his face and throwing the ball at his end could be, you know, something they could have tried.
Speaker 1: Smith was allowed to run his own show today and so his head, weren't they we started about a thing on on Smith.
Speaker 2: Yeah we should should keep going on that because Yeah, the other one that you hinted at was the beth All Jacob Ethel calling throw down. Yeah you were listening in for that one.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 1: I know Smith likes to talk to himself when he's batting, but when the keepers up to the stumps and the spin bowl was only half a picture, ay, it was a surprise to hear him say to himself after he hit the ball straight to the field, they're on the bounce. Oh, Steve, that was awful. That was a genuine throwdown. Now the bowler would have definitely heard that. If the stomachs are picking it up, I wonder what he's thinking about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's classic Steve, isn't it? Because I don't think he would have even realized that that was a sledge that the bowler was like, like, I'm from my best out of here, like I'm just playing my second my second ashes test. Yeah, the other one was signaling the wide when Pearl Matthew Pott's boulder bouncer on the way through the keeper Smith was right and he got the call in his favor. Poor Potts had the I think maybe the fourth or fifth worst wicketless spell ash of spell in history. By the closer play, what was that none for one hundred and forty one having opened the bowling. I mean it was a tough one. It just looked like he'd lost I mean earlier it looked like he'd kind of lost confidence, right, Like heads just absolutely belting him everywhere.
Speaker 3: The first three balls of the day went for for that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's you know, you're on hiding to nothing, having already kind of been bashed around the previous night. And then by the end of the day it looked like a physical challenge, like he was being asked the bowl bouncers. He was only really hitting the one hundred and twenty five k an hour mark, and that's it was a strange ploy for them for Stokes to kind of ask him to follow and like we were watching him, it looked like his action was kind of falling apart that. I think that's a more physical thing. You know, he's bold about twenty overs, you know, day twenty five for the innings. When you haven't played much cricket in the last few months, that's you know, it's going to take a toll on you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Steve Smith moved past Sir Jack Hobbs for the second most ashes runs now and second most ashes centuries, behind only the great Sir Donald Bradman lou another guy who has knocked off a lot of marlestones in his crew. It was min Kawaija walked out at number what was he six?
Speaker 3: Today? Great applause from the home crowd.
Speaker 1: It might not be the last time we see him bat And I think the way that Osmond walked off after we was dismissed today, he was sort of assuming again the other crack as well, because he didn't really acknowledge the crowd at all, didn't raise the bat nothing like that, just walked straight off. So I think he feels like he might get another shot in day five.
Speaker 2: He's optimistic. I mean, at that point it probably he probably wouldn't been thinking that much about how much ahead they are and how much they ahead they could get. I mean England would not only need to make Australia bad again at this rate, they would need to set them enough runs to mean that Australia would need to get three WI gets down. It'd be interesting one like let's you know, fast forwarding a bit here and we might be getting ahead of ourselves. But if they say they set up you know, a chase of twenty or thirty, I wonder if travs the Ultimate team man would say that, hey, you want to open that in just one last time.
Speaker 1: And I think day four we're also going to have some thank you It wasman activations around the ground. Maybe I heard her whisper, some signage on the ground, all those sorts of things. So tomorrow will be It wasn't enquired your day after Today was, of course Jane McGrath date. Lots of great money raised for the McGrath Foundation, and still plenty of time to get your virtual pink seat as well. Pink test dot Com Todeo was the place to go to get that. So lots of great activations happening this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and bold of created Australia to activate anything for Day four. But they'll get their wish. I mean you probably are going into day five unless England really capitulated with the bat on day on day four, but you'd think Australia at this rate there one hundred and thirty four ahead. You know, Smith is still going, he's a machine. He could keep batting for a wild Webster, I mean has about it at six in the Test team is at niney and he he's looked very strong. And you've still got Mitchell Stark to come who's averaging thirty in the series. So yeah, the end could come quite quick to this innings because they are already seven wickets down, but you know it wouldn't absolutely shock you to see them put on a mammoth, you know, six fifty seven hundred run kind of total here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean webstill looked the placed and he sort of came in only in the last hour and a half of the day and as you have touched on, the balls were flagging by that point, but there was lots of spin for the spinners. Jackson Bethel both getting at the ball to rip a little bit, so Webs had to do his bid and play second fiddled to Smith. But he's on to forty two, not out. So again he just always contributes when he comes into this Australian team and they say he won't be batting at number nine much, Yeah anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't have thought. Yeah, and it's been a full year since he made his debut in Test cricket against India. And yeah, the point about spins an interesting one because Bethel got asked about whether he saw some signs of turnout of that seg wicket of it. Neither team, of course have picked the front line spinner, and yeah, he said, he said, they said there was when you kind of pitched it. In the commentary he said it was when you when you pitch in the straight or when you're pitching the wider bits, that's when you kind of get a bit I think maybe you were saying when you're the footmarks, he's getting a bit more turned out of there. So that's an interesting one because you know, if Australia do get to the point where, you know, so they try and bat once and bat big and they get two hundred two fifty three hundred ahead, you know they might be looking to you know, England could shut up shop. I mean that that would be an interesting one, right, and they might be needing to turn to some to some spin and they don't have Todd Murphy there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we might see a bit of Travis Head with the ball.
Speaker 1: Look just before you finished, they want to get your take on that first session that we saw today at lunch. You caught it England's worst session of the series. They dropped four catches, some obviously harder than others, but the Jackson one, which was Travis Head when he was on one hundred and twenty one, was the clearly obvious one. They also maybe missed the half chance for a runout and then wasted two reviews on Michael Nissa, both of them unsuccessful. Do you stand by that a couple of hours later that it was definitely their worst of a pretty tough series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, it was their worst session they I mean, I thought the last two sessions they at least stuck at it a bit more. They held their catches. Duck it could caught a good one on the square league fans after being on it was a shocker that first one, like the Will Jacks catch, the Zach Crawley catch that went down at leg slip. He just looked like he wasn't low enough and you know, you just got to be ready for if you're in its leg slit. That's a position that Alex Carey has gone out three times too. Now he just wasn't in a good catching position a little bit. You've got to be a little bit more easy on cast dropped a really tough catch down, you know, to call it even a drop catch, it's probably a little bit unfair. And then Will Jax drops one off his own bowl and it was a little bit more gettable but hit pretty hard. Yeah, But like if you're going to come back into a Test like this, I mean even at that point they weren't really that far behind in it, so you're going to kind of need something spectacular. And I think I saw something saying that England had taken only about seventy five percent of their catches this year, so that's not going to win you many games in Australia with a record like that. The other bit that you brought up, like the two reviews, like it's hard to go too hard on anyone who wastes who you know, the reviews are hard, right, Like it's hard to know exactly what's in line with what. But if it's a fifty to fifty call, Are you going to use him on Michael Nissa, who really like he was probably the worst worst innings I've seen him play. He looked really frustrated with himself, like he just couldn't hit the ball off the square. He played and missed a lot. You know, when it comes to those fifty to fifty calls, surely you're not using my Michael Nice. Surely you're waiting for Travis ed or Steve Smith or Alex Carey. But yeah, bird reviews.
Speaker 1: That's the other point in England, no reviews remaining. They need to get three obosly. We gets tomorrow pretty quickly to stay in this match. That's been the unplayable podcast. We'll catch you for Day four at the SAG was mcquie day.