Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch Up podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the potty Little Brookie, our producers here in the studio. She's wearing a white top.
Speaker 1: It always was if you're about to attack, when you do the clothing looking at in your eyes. When you start rattling off what we're wearing, I'm like, I don't, I'm not. I don't want any problem.
Speaker 2: Radio craft Flex. It's a radio show. You need to paint a picture, isn't that right, Brookie? That's it. Brookie is wearing I've been staring at it all day, a little headband. She looks like a princess. She's a princess. And it looks like crusty microplastics in a good way, in a good way, in a good way.
Speaker 1: Like it looks it looks like.
Speaker 2: Seeds that a bird would peck, but they're rainbow so crazy?
Speaker 1: Can I tell you about will you remind me of right now? Did you watch that show you People on Netflix? No? So it's about this show about interracial relationships. Right, you got this black girl, this white guy. Look looking at my own life right now? Right, and there's always that like white mom who thinks she's being flattering as she like tears you a new one. How are you gonna tell brook her head but looks like microplastics. You're actually insane. And then you've gotta keep pointing at her as you survey her with those beaty little eyes. She's like, yeah, it looks like gosh, you guys, what I meant creative things. We would have never done it in my days. We preferred more classic, more items than we did. But gosh, it just is so creative the way you young girls. That's what you're giving and you're literally three years away from that being your full identity. I promise you. It's the tread wife.
Speaker 2: Okay, well I am now FLEXI I mean Brookie, stop.
Speaker 1: It, leave her alone, Leave her alone. Yeah, stop looking at her. I'm about to go to war for brook You stop looking at her. It's like what I feel, I need to do poopy and the eyes go white.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Flex put on my story a few weeks ago, me saying need to go poopy as a joke, and then my friends message me straight away being like, oh my god, on Flexy's story, your eyes widened. It means you're being serious And what did I go do poopy. So I reminded. You know, Flex makes for contents. My best friends are out here watching within an hour.
Speaker 1: I'm quite good at what I do. People forget it's not simple.
Speaker 2: And you won't hesitate to remind them.
Speaker 1: I don't remind people enough if I really started to bring out the CV. You people are forgetting.
Speaker 2: Flex and rooms on Kata.
Speaker 1: Your residents, she eos, girl bosses, lady entrepreneurs, oh dear, oh dear, and we don't mind the titles. I actually quite encourage them, call us beta s babe. It is what it is. What I will say, though, is that we have a listener message in. It's about hustle culture broadly. Let's listen to it.
Speaker 4: Hey, Flex, Hey, I have a little question for you. I've been a big time fan of the show, but at the moment I've been seeing a lot of things about hustle culture. Now, what I mean by this is people doing side hustles on top of their actual jobs. I with so many friends that do it. There's like only fans to Instagram's TikTok. They're all doing these hot side hustles and I want to get into it, but I just don't know is it all hype? What do you reckon side hustles? Yay or nay?
Speaker 1: That's fascinating. I think we need to make a distinction between hustle culture and a side hustle because the two there's a correlation between the both of them, but they're not the same ven diagrams ven diagram as most things are when you really think about it. So we can assume hustle culture is this nine to five rise and grind capitalistic. You must early bird get to the worm, This overworking yourself to accumulate a success of some kind, and the idea that you know, the harder you work, the bigger the reward, or that in order to achieve the success you want, you need to work so much harder than what is expected, versus a side hustle, which is just an additional job on the side that might not be a career path, but another source of income at the very least. Correct.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I see the confusion in this ven diagram situation because I can't help but feel that side hustles are really a way to do what you actually want to do. So in order for you to do that properly, you have to bust your bussy to do it right. So I think it does inevitably come under the umbrella of hustle culture. I don't think you can do a side hustle properly without falling into that trap.
Speaker 1: I see what you're saying. That makes sense as well, because you could do it. The presumption is that you know you need your primary source of income so you can live and like really fulfill your Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Can I get a hoorrah? But also, if you want to do something in addition to well, you've tapped out, you've reached your quota, so anything above that is that you're above and beyond. I will say, though, as someone who's been side hustling, hustle culturing for the bulk of my career, I feel like the amount of effort it takes to do something the presumably easy way out, you might as well have done it properly. So you have people who are like I want to do a side hustle. Let's say I want to do only fans, for example. Right now, we've talked about only fans quite a bit, and the one thing that I feel that hasn't really come through is that only fans is a hard job. Yeah, it's a very difficult job, far harder than if you just want when I got a hospital job or a retail job. Absolutely, because not only are you let's say you're building your own schedule, but you are finding your own customer, then turning your customer into a loyal subscriber, then creating enough content to not only meet that subscriber's needs, but every other subscriber so they will continue to pay for this subscription. Now, let's say you've managed to get you know, let's say even one hundred subscribers. They need to make a rate that's competitive, because you have it's a saturated marketplace. When people can get access to pawn, video, image, whatever for free, now you're gonna charge for it. You need to make this service so appealing that the subscribers you were able to get you can sustain. Now I can imagine a lot of us. If you want to start only fans, we could get one hundred people to subscribe once. Yeah, ten dollars, one hundred fans, one thousand dollars before tax. Only fans got to take their cart. Ats can take their cart and know what I'm saying, not a suddenly you've made three hundred dollars for one month. You got to make a bunch of new content to get those same people to stay. It's not simple, and it's okay. Let's say you're able to sustain making three hundred dollars a month for three months. How many hours of work did you put into creating a profile, creating editing your content, sharing your content, joining discords, joining Twitch servers, joining reddits like all these things when realistically you can make thirty bucks an hour at a bar job and like call it a day.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you're saying harder work perhaps is the term I would think is contentious. Yeah, it's a different type of work.
Speaker 1: I think it's more either way. Yeah, I back myself when I say harder work. I think people don't know what it goes. I think, broadly speaking, people have no idea how hard it is to make good content. Content people want to pay for You don't you want to pay for your Netflix? And that's the top of the top of the quality. You know, people like I don't ever want to pay the eighteen and all. You don't want to pay for your Spotify access to the best music in the world. You want to pay your ten dollars a month, but you think, you know, you gotta a popular or tit pick and charge twenty bucks a month and you gotta kick the subscribers rolling in. I don't think that you have it. I really don't. I think people don't. They underestimate how hard it is to build a community, to communicate value, to keep people coming back to sell sex. It's all difficult stuff. And I don't think people realize how a lot of these other industries that are established and conventional, let's say, like I said, hospital, retail, officehob temp whatever, you don't have to go in and reinvent the wheel to get your money's worth. You sign that contract, you're entitled to your hourly rate regardless it's coming in, so like you don't even have to use your extra brain cells for that, and like that would be a lucrative side hustle off the jump. There's something about these unconventional side hustles, these like I'm gonna do surveys or I'm gonna, like you know, sell like I'm gonna learn how to make candles and sell them, like that feel like an easier option because they have the illusion of being less complex. Yeah, I'm gonna be my own boss, and so okay, cool. But now you've got to pay, like, you know, your taxes to the government on your own. You gotta do your own book keeping, you gotta write your own contracts. And suddenly you're like, okay, is it is this really? Is this a side hustle or is this a full time job that I'm doing pooring. I think everyone should do a side hustle if you want to make extra income, Like don't like, don't seclude yourself from the possibility of getting your bag because it could be difficult. But I would say, like, be weary of the people who are selling your pipe dream about it being not a lot of effort, not a lot of work.
Speaker 2: And I will say I'd look into just going on only fans and paying for some content.
Speaker 1: Why not, that's what you got from this whole thing. I would look into actually consuming some of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and no, but honestly thinking about it, like, oh, it could be like you know, why not because it's quite interesting. Like like Anna Paul, for example, I like following her, so I'm like, I like, this is other facet of her that would be interesting. You not pay for her only fans.
Speaker 1: You can see her Twitter where she promotes her content to get like an example of what she makes, right, because you can.
Speaker 2: Do nuty on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Hey yeah, and Sis is making porn. So you know what I'm saying, Like, I feel like people like they're deluding themselves. I will say, similar to what you said before, hustle culture. I don't think as a scam. I do think there's merit, like there are very clear ways to populus see and make an extra check. But I think the people online, especially who are trying to tell you that it's easy, have a vested interest in you thinking that it's easy.
Speaker 2: Oh I mean that's ridiculous, isn't it.
Speaker 1: That's just yeah, yeah, literally, like it's the MLM of like a. And if we're using only fans as an example, no, let's not. We've talked about it before. But I'm just saying house culture is real, like it is. That's how it works. You work more, you make more money. But I think of all the jobs to do, digital content creating is not the easiest one.
Speaker 2: Definitely not Yeah, definitely not.
Speaker 1: Cater flex and frooms, Flex and frooms.
Speaker 2: We are both not yet engaged. Would you get engaged coming to this red hot have we?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's going on? Let's continue?
Speaker 2: Are you Polly you engaged? Would you do this? I love to say see people get married. I'd love to see the outfits, and I love to see the after video. Would I personally get an after video? Would I have a videographer running around taking videos of my wedding? I don't think I would. And I know this is a very contentious topic. I saw a TikTok the other day of a guy who's a videographer, and he said that he was doing regular wedding videos and then he did one that was like a documentary, so we get all the footage, but beforehand he'd have like entry interviews like you would on The Bachelor, with like the mum and the dad, Da da da. And he said since doing that, his jobs went up ten times of course. So do you think this is a good idea, having absolutely entry interviews with people who love the bride and the groom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm so sorry. I just hate the idea that anything about a wedding or proposal should be accidental or like without a bit of cringe. If you're going to be spending upwards of fifty thousand, sixty one hundred thousand dollars. You think I'm not going to document it. You think I'm just gonna be like, oh no, I don't want an after video because no, no, I'm literally paying for people's attention for hours. You think I don't want to do document it? What do you think is happening here? If you propose to me you haven't got a secret little camera and a mic setup, You're wasting everybody's time. Our memories are so fallible. I don't remember yesterday, you think in the flurry of this surprise, I mean we were like and then he said, and then she said. When the girl is like, so what happened, I'm like, I don't know. I was just I don't want to do that. Now I'm letting down the girlies. Okay, I need all of it documented. And the vog style is really amazing because there's something about like a lot of what I don't like about weddings is how sanitized they become. That every wedding was like a carbon copy of the last wedding, And it's like, can we add some flavor? Can we have the in between moments that make it feel like a real event. That's why when I saw that TikTok of the girl who does social media content for weddings, So the girl who like walks around just with an iPhone and documents it from the perspective of just like a random guess, I'm like, that's what I'm talking about, because I will never see that. Remember when I went to my brother's wedding and they spent like a stack on this really intricate dessert table that they were never that they didn't see in the flesh because they were just busy doing other stuff. And I was like, you didn't see it, and they're like, no, they saw it at the end when it had just been more through by a bunch of animals. So document it all, please.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to know. I personally don't want anything to be documented. Keep the engagement separate, keep it private, keep it private, a small intimate ceremony, just my friends and family.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's something about a video for following us around when the men are putting the ties on.
Speaker 3: I know that, like the little video of the woman's shoes on a pillow. Don't put up a ring camera then, you know, do a little ring camera. Do a little hidden video, hidden mic situation. You don't know where the cameras are. Let's get they'll find you.
Speaker 1: We need or a little lapel camera, you know, like a little little square camera.
Speaker 2: Everyone's got the ray bands on to take videos exactly.
Speaker 1: It's a lot flex and frooms of the suspicion that there's a ghost in the room with us. But two more important things, a moral dilemma. Picture this. You're at a birthday party with you know, a group of friends, some friends you know quite dearly, some are friends of friends. Whatever. You meet someone new, a mutual friend, and catch a bad vibe, nothing too crazy. You're just like, ah, it's not my person. Don't really feel good about it. You have a little bit to your friends, you let them know, like, ah, I don't like their vibe, but it is what it is. I'm not gonna make a big scene about just not my person. Now. A couple months later, a couple months go by, more mutual friend situations happen, more parties, more get togethers, and you actually realize that, like they just had a bad day. What you caught to be a bad vibe, which just a temporary thing. You actually quite like them, like quite a bit, to the point where your mutual friends are like, you're shady. You just spent that much time ripping into them, and now you think they're quite nice, and so they're expecting that you say something about it. What do you do in that situation? Oh, I hate this, it's not great.
Speaker 2: I think everyone's been guilty of this, making a judgment that is not informed. I think you're could be on a bit of a damaged control mission at this point. Confirm never to them, but to the friend. Like I think when you're like two years deep into the friendship, you can be like when I first met you.
Speaker 1: Like I wasn't sure what you were about. That was weird, But.
Speaker 2: Now I love you because you're my best friend.
Speaker 1: Would that make you insecure? Though, I'd be like, because what if the friend the one that initially had a bad vibe whatever, it was kind of like, oh, I always liked you, Like what what do you mean?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: When was that they start getting like two year overdue anxiety.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was funny.
Speaker 1: When it's so tricky though, because again you do have to go on damage control straight away, because there's something about anybody with sound mind would recognize what's happened here? You made a judgment call and you were wrong. It happens all the time. But if your friends are going out of your way to call you out on it, it's like, okay, so are you gonna out me? Are you going to tell them what I said? Are you jealous? Are you going to jeopardize my new friendship? What's happening? He just let it go. I let it go, and I was one of the problem, so you'd let it go. I will say, though, don't let this to tell you from bitching by people. Never call it a day. Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's a time and place. There's a time and place and you could have been right right.
Speaker 2: Just have a think about that one. This is flex and Rooms on Kater.
Speaker 1: The day we answer an important question when pointing out something embarrassing on someone else? What matters more timing? Or tacked?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: What matters more? Tacked Ooh? Okay, the only reason why I asked. A couple of weeks ago, Aubrey Plaza was on stage at the SAG Awards winning some kind of award, and she was wearing like a crossover holton neck dress with some underboob, very high fashion, very incredible. Now she's walked the red carpet with her co stars. She's been sitting, you know, in the room with her co stars, and it wasn't up until she got into stage standing around with a bunch of guys and a fellow coastars. One of them kind of like points to her and turns his back to the camera and kind of like signals at her outfit, and then she kind of like holds her chest embarrassed, and then she's like freaking out about her outfit. And so you can't really clock what's happening here, but if you have, you know, any kind of awareness of social skills, you kind of have gathered that he's pointed out that she's having what he presumes to be a wardrobe malfunction. She was not. She was showing a little bit of under boob, and that is fine. What happened after was two things. The internet blown up saying, why does she look so am like, Why did she make that face on stage of all the time to do that? Why was she more aware of her surroundings. It's so odd like she's making it about her, She's drawing attention to herself. Right then I took then people were like, wait a second. She didn't just like react out of nowhere. She responded to him saying something to her, let's play the tapes. And so what's happened is that he's turned his back to the camera. So obviously she's like, whoa, what happened to you? Like what's going on? And then he's pointed at her chest and whatever he said was not The timing wasn't great, and the tact wasn't great. So she freaked out and looked visibly annoyed, like she had embarrassed everybody around her, only to find out there was no malfunction to begin with. And so my question is what could he have done better? Right timing or tacked? One might assume the timing wasn't great. Right, you're on stage, you're winning the award? Was there anything else he could have done? We don't know what he said, so we can't assume that he didn't have tacked. But what ensued was this really fascinated conversation that like initially went to like she was the problem, and it's like she's a victim. Can I take us back to Justin Tim Blake and Janet Jackson. He reveals her bust causes her to have a water malfunction. Now she's the fluozy. Now she should have known better.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it, do you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean? And it's like I'm not gonna say we're sensing a trend, but I do want to say I just feel like there was a level of awareness that was missing, Like so there were so many points in time when they were him and Aubrey. I don't know what the guy's name is, sorry, sorry king? Which one really look like just like John something, John Grees, John Gray. I don't know the.
Speaker 2: Older guy in the past. I feel like this is important, but no older guy.
Speaker 1: He was an older guy, but I don't know if he was the older guy. How old was he? Like eighty? He had white hair, oh white.
Speaker 2: And babes Okay, I just says a lot of white Lotus fans in the house.
Speaker 1: You can google. And it's not about that situation in particular, but they are like it where you when you position yourself to be the person who helps someone else, like a hero. Complex bit of a say, if you're the person who's doing the right thing, you run the risk of doing the very wrong thing. And what has ensued is that a really amazing career accolade has been deduced into this, Like he said, she said, wardrobe malfunction? Was it not? Why is she not happy to be here? Why couldn't she hold herself better? And she actually had to come out and say, like, you know, I did seven or eight fittings for this dress I wanted under boob. I can assure you that when I knew that I was coming to an award of this cow, but I did my due diligence. I can assure you everyone around me did their due diligence, like do not worry. And then people were like nobody was just trying to do a nice thing, and I'm like, oh gosh, she cannot escape this. Even me talking about it now is just perpetuating this narrative like she can't escape it and it sucks. But I will say, it's more of a PSA.
Speaker 2: And what's a psa that?
Speaker 1: Like, of course in hacked intent, you know, we talk about it often what you intended to do and the impact of what you did, but also recognizing that like it's not as simple as like, oh, the good person points out the thing like you got somebody in your teeth let me point it out. It's like, M we can. There's more to it, and I just want to say, when you run the risk of being a hero, you could ruin someone's life.
Speaker 2: It's easy, it's yeah, go with that.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 4: For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.