Speaker 1: Gid A, Peter Hell, are you here? Welcome to you ain't seen nothing yet the movie Podcast. We're ourtch out to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guest radio superstar Will McMahon.
Speaker 2: All below. I want to stay here with you, the jobble, Why hate snake shucked?
Speaker 3: Why hail? It wouldn't be happening right now?
Speaker 4: You ain't seen nothing yew.
Speaker 1: Ozzie listeners will know our guest today, Will mcmahony. The Will in the Will and what are the Dynamic duo and it's been dominating Australian airways for over a decade. They're great mates. They started together over in Perth on radio over there and eventually found their way back home to Melbourne and through I think Fox Fem originally and then on to Kiss where they have absolutely dominated. Recently signed for another three years going through twenty twenty six, which it takes them over a decade on Draft Time Radio, which is a huge achievement coming from somebody who has had a couple of unsuccessful attempts at a similar time slot.
Speaker 5: It is a huge effort. I remember when they came along.
Speaker 1: Everyone was trying to find the new Hamish and Andy, and it was just radio producers. We're just putting two guys in studios together hoping for pay dirt. And there's always a little bit of cynicism about Okay, they're just looking for another Hamishandy, in the same way that when I Standy came along, as they're trying to find another American Russo and so. Will and Woody were part of that kind of landscape for a while, but then they rose to the top like the cream always does.
Speaker 5: Because they are genuinely great mates.
Speaker 1: They have extraordinary chemistry, They work hard, they are inventive, they're fund It's always I've always loved going into their studio to hang out with them. I do know Woody a bit more because I did I'm a celebrity, get me out of here with Woody, But I could see the love that he had for Will, and I can see when I go into their studio as well.
Speaker 5: Will is along with Woo You have appeared on.
Speaker 1: Ninja Warrior, the Australian version a celebrity apprentice. Will himself has been on the project quite a few times. He's also a massive ambassador for mental health, and he has spoken very openly and honestly, extremely broadly at times about his own struggles, and it is quite extraordinary to watch and to listen to we'll talk about his experiences in that field, both personally and with people around him. So absolutely culoss for Will for being such a open on that front. He is funny, he is clever, he is he's just about walking to the studio too. And I'm bloody started to be hanging with Will mcmont today.
Speaker 3: Hey, my name is Will McMahon. My favorite three films are on Sunday by Dennis villenerv.
Speaker 4: Excuisite monotrodicts you.
Speaker 6: My Billolette Shimpson din Cousin.
Speaker 3: So strictly Ballroom by Baz Lemon. I don't think so. Just give me a try and go home just one hour. This is very embarrassing.
Speaker 2: I just need a chance.
Speaker 3: You're gonna wake up tomorrow and feel like a real idiot about this.
Speaker 7: Do you want to dance your own steps or not?
Speaker 3: It's none of your business? Well do you look? A beginner has no right to approach an open ameter. Yeah, well, an open ameter has no right to dance non federation steps. But you did, didn't you?
Speaker 4: That's different?
Speaker 7: How is it different?
Speaker 3: You're just like the rest of them.
Speaker 7: You think it's different, but.
Speaker 8: You're not, because you're just you're just really scared.
Speaker 3: You're really scared to give someone you ago because you think you know they might just be better than you are. Well, you're just pathetic and you're gutless. You're a gutless wonder and hook, which I think is Spielberg.
Speaker 1: That ain't been a band.
Speaker 2: He's oh he's fat, not so fat to me, he's an all fat crap on man.
Speaker 1: He that is so dangerous.
Speaker 3: Now, okay, mischief, all right, show's over.
Speaker 1: Now you put that thing away and put it down before you poked somebody's eye out.
Speaker 3: You're not I don't have to shave. What are you doing? A stirl and flying around? This is an insurance nightmare?
Speaker 9: What is this?
Speaker 5: I'm for the Lord of the Fly pre school? Where your parents?
Speaker 3: Who's in charge here?
Speaker 4: No, no, mister skunkad with too much moose.
Speaker 3: You are just a punk kid. I want to speak to a grown up.
Speaker 8: All dronalds of pirates, excuse me, we killed pirates.
Speaker 4: I'm not a pirate, so happens? I am a lawyer.
Speaker 2: Kill the lawyer.
Speaker 5: I'm not that kind of.
Speaker 3: Lawyer, and I haven't sayensten chance.
Speaker 10: Thank you? Thanks?
Speaker 1: What can I get you? I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: For relaxing times, make it suntory time.
Speaker 10: I'll have a vodkatonic.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 10: So what are you doing here?
Speaker 11: A couple of things, taking a break from my wife forgetting my son's birthday, and get paid two million dollars to endorse a whiskey when I could be doing a play somewhere.
Speaker 4: But the good news is the whiskey works. What are you doing?
Speaker 10: My husband's a photographer, so he's here working and I wasn't doing anything. So I came along and we have some friends olive here.
Speaker 4: How long you've been married?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Two years? Twenty five line ones. You're probably just having.
Speaker 10: A mid life crisis.
Speaker 4: Did you buy a Porsche yet? You know I was thinking about buying a Porsche.
Speaker 1: Fading movie star Bob Harris icon Bill Murray lands in Tokyo to shoot a whiskey commercial and he's immediately a fish out of water. The language barrier, the jet lag weed TV shows, even the hotel gym equipment is behaving strangely. Mid twenty Charlotte Scarlett Johansen is in town supporting her photographer husband John Giovanni Rabizi, and he's also feeling lost and discombobulated. Is it just a jet lag or a Bob and Charlotte experiencing their own personal angst. For large parts of the film, Bob and Charlotte feel trapped into Tokyo's park height, occasionally breaking out into the neo flooded streets of this famous, unique, and sometimes bizarre city. What happens next is open to interpretation. Is it a romance, a friendship or something deeper? Sophie a couple of sophomore film following her hit The Virgin's Suicides. It won Bill Murray his only oscar. Will McMahon, have you ever nearly been killed by a stepmaster?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 4: I have.
Speaker 3: Maybe a treadmill stepmaster. You've got a bit more control. Yes, treadmill. I feel as if is right out of your head.
Speaker 1: Yes, sometimes I do occasion will try to test myself on the treadmill. But very yeah, very funny scene. Will Man, thank you very much for coming in to discuss this movie with me. How did we how did we arrive at Lost in Translation?
Speaker 3: You sent me a list. How literally do you want to get here? Like, well know, how much of a peek behind the curtain you want?
Speaker 1: So I do send?
Speaker 5: I do send a massive list of films that we haven't covered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I asked. I generally asked to choose a few. I think there was one request. I've been under the part of the moment because I'm in rehearsal of a play Pete on a starcatcher and did I did request?
Speaker 5: Could it not be like an epic?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Something not.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're you're a busy man yourself, so I was pretty confident you're.
Speaker 3: Trying to both a favor. Yes, yeah, yes, I'm going to be honest. I'm actually I'm in a bit of a I'm trying to do a deep dive on all the Hitchcock movies at the moment, So I really wanted to I haven't seen so I really wanted to vertigo. Yeah, because everything is like the best field, you know, you know, the kind of the best thrillers of all time that I just realize I hadn't seen them, So you're kind of going through them, and then my partner sem because you know, you get to a certain age where if you're watching something on TV. Genuinely, generally speaking, I think you have to make a compromise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, or one of you has to do the really sad.
Speaker 3: Thing and you know, gone watching on their laptop in their bedroom, and you know, general assumption is that they're probably wanking, and you don't want to be that guy. You know, like you don't want to be that guy. So I was like, you know what, I'm not going to tell you. I'm just going to go and watch better Go by myself. So I was like, no, no, you know, I'll compromise. And then yeah, I'm really glad that I did in the end, because I hadn't seen this and I don't know why. You know, just occasionally you get someone that just slipped through the cracks, and this was one of them, and thankfully it was for seeing my partner as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I did see this in the cinema. Oh cool, I envy and I yeah, I was very excited to do it. In fact, we were supposed to cover this a few years ago.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: The wonderful comedian Dan Connell. Yeah, had nominated Lost in Translation and I was very excited. Yeah, I watched a film for the.
Speaker 3: You know, you've seen it a few times.
Speaker 5: I've seen this film close to ten times.
Speaker 3: You're a couple of year, I imagine when you just told me what your favorite three films are and god Father one and two, So I imagine you're a severie couple of fan as well.
Speaker 1: I am. This is my favorite of her of her films, and I do, like I mean, Sophie a couple of It's so much behind the scenes stuff going on with this film. I think so much that so much.
Speaker 3: It was so good to watch for that reason, and.
Speaker 1: We'll definitely we'll definitely get onto that. But so I watched this film when it came out. Bill Murray was having a bit of a renaissance. I'm not sure if he rush More he had done rush Moore right right, right, right, So there was he fifty Was he fifty fifty two?
Speaker 3: Okay, as we were guessing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's seventeen the fact, Yeah, so's there's so many things. So so watch the film again. Yeah, side of the top, made all my notes, like I do, got all the clips up. We're in the studio with them.
Speaker 3: Are you watching this by yourself, by the way, or you know, watching Are you watching this with your partner, you know, are you compromising?
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 1: I'll watch I take the TV the bridges. She likes to go to bed a bit earlier, so she's happy. Okay, yeah, yeah, it's all pretty yeah, all good. So I watched it. We're in the studio talking to Dan and I'm saying, you know, you know Lost in Translation clips, and that's I'm saying it. And then he does his three favorite films and he does say I haven't seen Lost in Translation, but there's something about the way he says it.
Speaker 3: I'most like.
Speaker 5: And I started doing the review of it, and then I can see his face and then he has I think I.
Speaker 1: Watched the wrong film. He Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Speaker 12: What I know?
Speaker 3: I know what got lost in translation? There?
Speaker 1: Something certainly got lost in translations.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I kind of was he just like Big Metro, Big Metropolis?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 10: Was that?
Speaker 3: Was that the salient feature in the films.
Speaker 1: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Lost in Translations?
Speaker 3: Are there any similar actors or anything?
Speaker 4: No, Well.
Speaker 1: It's Johnny deppit Fear and Loaded.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: So we had to kind of I had seen fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but not to a I probably wouldn't have covered it on this podcast, but it was it was actually, it was a fun it was a fun app So when you did nominate losson Translation one, it's got a pretty good running time, and.
Speaker 3: So I think it's ayah, it's not an epic.
Speaker 5: It's it's not an epic. I was already pretty familiar with it.
Speaker 1: I knew and because I prepped for it before, I was very excited for you to do it, and I'm excited to get into talking about So let's talk about your three other favorite films or your three favorite films. You're telling me off.
Speaker 5: This was a hard task, really really hard.
Speaker 3: I was actually I've actually I got to the point where I was asking other people what are my favorite movies, because I think I've just seen a lot of films, and I'm very passionate about a lot of films, and I got to the point where I just I don't think it's a not touch on your part. I don't think it's a fair question. I'm not here to critique, you know, critique you made. But it was tough.
Speaker 1: The most ironic guest I've had was Zan Roe, who I don't think made a similar comment. It's like you do a show called Top five.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, famously does to take five? Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So hang on calling the kettle black listen and it does mine have reasonably definitive top three godfather, Yeah you said one. It's a bit of cheek. I do one and two at the same time, playing Change and Hounobiles sideways. It hasn't changed for years. Yeah, but I understand. Also, I would actually what I might actually do for my podcast is do my actual top ten, because I'm that curious. Okay, what is at four?
Speaker 3: Is Star Wars exactly? Yeahs.
Speaker 1: Some translation may even be like I'm I actually fascinated because I've just kind of stopped it at three.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What is my favorite Paul Thomas Anderson film? Is it Magnoledge? Is it construct? So when you start kind of, you know, getting a bit further out, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's when it starts getting interesting as well. So I because once you get from four till you know, I told you I've got I managed to do a three. But there's a rotating bench of eight people. It's like football in the early naughties, you know, just a massive bench and I was kind of looking and I So what I ended up doing was I changed the question slightly to what films influenced me the most, Like what movie did I watch? And I loved obviously, but I was like, ah, because making movies is something that I always want to do. It's always something I wanted to do. I just I don't know, from the moment that I started watching films, I was just like, I just love making stories and telling stories, and that's just somewhere that I've kind of always vision myself going someday I will I will go there, and so I don't know I had that, I had that preconception really early on I reckon, like twelve I reckon, I had that idea. I was in the I was in the cinemas, and I just had this moment where I was like, this is the this is the coolest thing ever. I just remember thinking that, I remember seeing it all and just being there and just the scope and the size, and I've always had a crazy imagination, so it just it kind of like was the only thing that fulfilled my imagination was stories and then that level of stories. So as a result, every movie I kind of watch from there. Always it was always kind of through this lens of like changing what sort of movie I thought I could make and influencing that all the way through. So my favorite movie often became someone who, you know, kind of like blew everything over all over again and just like just reset everything for me, and we're like, whoa you could do that? So that kind of is what influence my top three. So I said, UNDI, which is I've not seen Okay, So that's that's Denis phellen nerves first film. I mean yeah, in terms of like reset for me like that. The reason that is that that every time someone goes, what's you favorite film, that that completely bowled me over. Like I was watching it with my girlfriend at the time. It's it's a. It's his first movie. I think it's A. It's in French and it's a Basically it's about a kind of like the hang up of the North African Wars. It's really fall on like I've got a stress. But I finished it, and to be honest, I didn't. She she hated it, Like there's there's no doubt she hated it. She didn't really like movies. I sound like an awful partner, but I was like, look, I really want to watch this. We sat down and we watched it, and I remember finishing it and we couldn't talk, Like the ending was so intense that we like I remember getting up and going to I was like, I need to go and just get out of this room and just get away from this because it didn't see it coming. And I'm not spoiling anything by saying there's this really cryptic line at the end where this woman just says one plus one equals too, right, and then that's all you need to know, and that says nothing about the plot. I haven't spoiled anything, but there's that moment. It was such a simple bit, and I remember just thinking everything about like this whole movie has taken me all the way over here, and it's all dennis VILLEINRV. You know, it's like bow landscapes and darkness, and you know, it's all just it's all him. And then I just thought it was so clever, his entire narrative in this foreign land. And then it came down to this like one question that this person asked another person, and it just blew my mind and at the same time, like hurt me like it was. It was so painful, and yeah, that just kind of blew It really did kind of reshape how I thought about how impactful a movie could be on a person. It was almost like I had an argument with myself.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, And it's amazing that you had such a reaction, because because I will go see movies by myself quite often.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because sometimes it's it's a last minute decision.
Speaker 1: You know, I've done enough work or there's enough work on this week that I can take this morning off, or you know, I'm going to write this afternoon or I've written this morning. Soe movie. Yeah, so, and I can't.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: I don't dislike singing with other people, but there is a pressure that comes with having somebody sit next to you.
Speaker 3: Particularly as you said, you're yeah, I didn't want to watch it.
Speaker 1: Do you want to watch it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And you've you've gone that with watching it and you had this like immense reaction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's good. Yeah, it was exactly. And we broke up shortly after that. And I actually don't think that's a coincidence. I'm gonna be honest that that that Yeah, so number one.
Speaker 1: That's number one. And then and then you strictly yeah, okay, so yeah, this I mean in terms of like it sounds almos a polar opposite.
Speaker 3: I know, right, I know, and do this. I kind of did it deliberately. I'm gonna be honest, peek, like I have curated these a little bit. I did kind of want to give it a bit of a spread. We lived in Berlin for six months as a family when we were kids. My dad was working over there, and I have three two buzzs and a sister, and we had one TV and then we had like there was like one hundred German movies. We were saying in some woman's house, and then there was strictly ballroom. Now. I don't know how or why, Like I lived in Australia, right, Like I should have seen this in Australia, but it was all we had, and I reckon we saw that forty times, you know, because it was all we could watch. You know, there was no streaming or anything, so you know, we would put it on. And my little brothers were quite young, and when of them was five at that age, and he loved it, and we just kept watching it and watching and watching it, and I just, I don't know, I feel so in love with that movie. I don't know why. I just again, in terms of me on like a trajectory of making movies, I think the moment that I heard the Australian accents, I was like, oh my god, what they made this in Australia. And I was just kind of I just I just thought that was so cool because everything else that I've seen that had been made in Australia was like what play school? You know, like I hadn't really seen any I hadn't seen an Australian production of any weight. I might have been watching The Castle when Dad was watching the Castle, you know, like, but I hadn't seen anything. And then I saw that and I was like, Oh, this is this is this kind of story I want to tell. And I was kind of obsessed with musical theater at that stage, so it was it was the first movie that I'd seen where somebody had managed to make a musical into a movie. And not necessarily they're not singing obviously, but in terms of like the production, it's such it is a musical. It's it's like it's a stage show on a on on screen you know these like cut to these dramatic shots sweeping cameras. You know, they danced a time after time on a rooftop around a hills hoist. You know, it's just like you can almost see the set and that is that and I you know, I mean, I love it. I really I didn't love I loved Moulin Rouge as well, but that movie and it's it struck my favorite genre as well. Was it made me laugh and it made me cry, which if you can get that, how can you're doing?
Speaker 1: And I think when you see a movie in a particular it almost is that represents a time in your life as well, exactly. I mean I remember seeing actually Haymis McDonald who was on this podcast, had a similar thing when he was you know, I think working for El Jazeera or somewhere stationed overseas and saw Somersault right and recognized the Cracker, yeah, and recognized places that you know, from where he lived, and this meant a lot to him. I was overseas. It's not on the strained film, but yeah, me watching Four Weddings in the Funeral in Glasgow, I was having by myself and obviously it's on the strained film, but it spoke a lot about friends and it just hit.
Speaker 3: Me so hard.
Speaker 5: I just remember crying in the cinema. And it wasn't necessarily just about.
Speaker 3: The film that I was watching, the situation that I love it.
Speaker 5: When movies do become intrinsically linked to a.
Speaker 3: Moment in your life one hundred percent. And I mean the other thing i'd say about strictly boor, I know, it's it's almost like, I mean, it is a comedy in it, but it gets laughed at into these days I feel is I loved that it dared.
Speaker 4: To do.
Speaker 3: I loved how daring its pathos was. It was, you know, he's like sliding in on his knees at the end. It was just so bold. I don't know, it was just slap you in the face, just like, yeah, you know what, we have got a guy swooning over a girl and they're going to dance a passa double at the end, And it was just I just loved that. I didn't it wasn't trying to be too nuanced.
Speaker 1: No, And you know, and then also Mark the arrival, let's face it of perhaps our greatest yeah director, Yeah, you know, I mean George Miller's obviously in that conversation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, many directors. Sorry, I'm just blanking on all of them now.
Speaker 3: Every director, directors like George H.
Speaker 1: Peter, We're friends. There are so many.
Speaker 3: He really has made his mark into even defined a genre.
Speaker 1: Let's face it, he built one. And then he's like an appointment to view kind of directed bas Leman film comes out. Yeah, and he's polarizing, not every one, but I thought Elvis was extraordinary the.
Speaker 3: Same I loved it. I absolutely loved it, but for the same reasons. I felt like I was watching a really well done musical on screen. And again, he just doesn't like the best part of that Elvis movie I thought was obviously that that show that he does, that live show on TV, that that that was just so good. And again it was just like it's just hard in his sleeve cinema. Yeah, you know, it's like, you know what, I'm just going to give it all to you. I don't I'm a gonna worry about like nuancing and you know what sort of angles were using. It's just like, no, he's fucking front and center. There's a huge sign behind him. He's wearing his heart in his sleeve and he's dying for America and yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it as well.
Speaker 5: I was very excited that you mentioned hook yeah up a couple.
Speaker 3: Of times kidding in other people's top Mark.
Speaker 5: Humphrey has had the end, and pretty honest, I hadn't seen it.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: So this is not one that lives in marble, but I've seen it since, partly because my company suggested it, but also I'm also excited from a self interest a little bit because I am currently in rehearsals doing Peter and a Star catch Peter Pan origin story.
Speaker 3: You've now mentioned that twice.
Speaker 1: Reach thank you well, you gave you a perfect hook into it. To be honest, it really sat up for you, didn't it. Really, I'm playing me, are you actually? So I've got to gone back and watch some of the hook and so, yeah, the world is kind of I understand the world a bit more now because everyone knows Peter Pan.
Speaker 5: But it's it's been nice to kind of delve into, you know, a bit more of.
Speaker 3: What it is.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you know, Dustin Hoffman, Robin Williams, obviously, Spielberg's Julia Robert.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Pretty it's a magical movie.
Speaker 3: It's magical, it was, I mean to I don't know if it's blasphed me to talk about another movie podcast. In a movie podcast, The Rewatchables did a great I don't know if you listened to the one they did on Missus Doubtfire, but it was they kind of went back through the Robin Williams kind of like Era and he's got this. He kind of lines up about, oh, there's there's three or four great films in a row there that that that are almost worth mentioning, and then he does Hook and I don't know they they canned it, and I think and it got canned at the time, it really did because I.
Speaker 5: Think it's somebody else's I think this is the third time Hook has come up.
Speaker 1: I am going to I'm working on also going back over the episodes and working out how many times what is the most popular movie that's been nominated movies? So I think Princess Brian is probably in the lead. Oh really, yeah, shp Hook come up? Let's say three times. Yeah, there's part of me that was surprised because I don't remember it being a hit or I don't remember that's.
Speaker 3: What they were saying yeah, and it was obviously I was too young to know that. I'm just looking at it now. It's kind of in So he does this really weird string of movies where you know, he has a Dead Pot Society, which is you know, kind of like puts him on the map into well, sorry, good morning Vietnam is before that, which like really it's just like, wow, here's this guy does Dead Pot's side. It's like, holy shit, the guy's got range. And then he does he does a couple of weird ones. He does the Fisher King and Awakenings, which he's in and around that, and then Hook Aladdin misses Doubt Fire and it's like wow, okay, so it's kind of in his real golden era of you know, this guy's easily the biggest screen star in the world. I was just so obsessed with Peter Pan growing up, just the idea of a kid that doesn't have to grow up for lots of reasons. I just loved that. It just kind of really sung to me. And then to see my favorite actor playing the guy that I loved so much was just everything to me. We did a podcast about this little while ago, about in a Child and the narrative. I think just really spoke to me and about this this guy who gets lost ironically, you know, he's a lawyer and he has got he's got no connection to his kids. You know, there's that scene in the plane at the start where his kid's throwing the ball against the back of his head, and I don't know if it reminded me of like relationships with my parents, so what, I'm sure it reminded a lot of people with relationships with their parents. Where I was annoying. I was an annoying kid, like I liked fiddling with things. I liked annoying things. And then he goes away, and you know, the way that he reconnects to his children is he has to find the kid in himself. And that as a message was just I just thought that was so beautiful. And again I didn't obviously wasn't cognizant of this at the time, and I was watching it as ten. I was like, Wow, great in a child narrative therapy, guys, And I rewatched it recently because I was going to watch it with my daughter, and I was like, there's there's a genuine suicide bit in this movie where where Dustin Hoffman's holding a gun to his head as hook and he's like, dog, make me do it, Smith, Smith, stop me, Smith, somebody stop me, stop me, and you know, in high and then Smee just grabs the gun, which fires off in the cabin while the kids are doing their homework in the background. So they really like, you know, you know, adultified what was my childhood movie. But I obviously didn't realize that at the time.
Speaker 5: But there's always been darkness, you know, like in those.
Speaker 3: So dark and even his i mean his story Barry, what's his name, James Barry, Yeah, the guy who wrote it. It's all comes from quite a dark place. Yeah, but you know, and I think that's kind of what it captured me about it. And looking back through my other movies strictly bore Room, maybe not so much Unsandy, but some of the other ones that are on the bench, I think that being able to play I'm a huge fantasy fan, so being able to put me in a place which is pure imagination, I've just always been so impressed by and always aspired to, you know, just and everything about that movie, Like he's playing baseball on a pirate ship, you know, like how fun is that. It was just the way they did the Pirate Ship as well. It wasn't just like, oh, you know, we're limited to you know, just the just the timber and and the you know, washing the deck and you know, scrubbing the deck and all that sort of shit. It was like, no, no, no, there's baseball out here. We're polishing hooks out here.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Like it was just this the scope of the fantasy and the and the way that the Lost Boys fought they made it. They didn't do it with bows and arrows and stuff. They did it with gum balls and you know, like cannonballs and throwing food. And I think that that movie in terms of like realizing something and imagination, I mean, that's what Spielberg's always been about, right. That was just blew my mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really enjoyed watching it. Yeah, and two tickets for Peter on the Starcatcher for you coming up. You've even said things in the last couple of minutes, Yeah, that he like explains some things that I haven't kind of understood about the play in a way. There is like a fight scene, yeah, and everyone's just kind of grabbing objects they're finding with objects and like it's you know, to the point where it's been a part of me. That's kind of why don't they have swords? One of these.
Speaker 3: Parts have yes, yes, yeah, yeah, yes, Well that's probably you know, it's a kid's imagination. Yeah, so they're in this playworld not to bang on. I mean, I could talk about hook forever, but that food fight scene as well. I just loved the idea. And like in hindsight, again maybe it was just because I felt too much pressure growing up, but like you had this guy who was really successful, and the way out of him, the trap that he built for himself, was to fuck around with a whole bunch of kids. It was just so beautiful and there were so many cool, really poignant moments in that movie. When he has the coconut thrown at him and he slices through it, when he has his hat, he thought, and it's having a kid. And weirdly, this is going to sound really cheesy, but when I had my daughter, like Peter's happy thought when when he flies again, Robin rob Williams happy thought when he flies again is that he became a daddy, Right, that's his happy thought to get him flying again, and he forgot that, Yeah, because he got caught up in being a dad and he forgot how happy he was to have kids again. And it's funny. I remember when Max was born, when my daughter was born, I had this like weirdly, I was thinking about hook. I was like, I'm a daddy, like and this was Peter's happy thought, and I was like, this will be my happy thought now, like this has to be my happy thought. This is so beautiful.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. Yeah, that's incredible. Great three movies there. Let's get into this one.
Speaker 6: So table toy sant kanjo come, yes a sku. I said, what I'm gonna boggie Ernie do come by some time?
Speaker 7: He wanted to turn looking camera.
Speaker 13: Okay, that's all he said, Yes, turned to camera, all right, does you want me to to turn from the right or turn.
Speaker 7: Surday and camera discute? Jig?
Speaker 4: What was that?
Speaker 3: A more hacker?
Speaker 4: I had a motation.
Speaker 6: I get there comera come passion camera many.
Speaker 7: Question with the intensity? Okay?
Speaker 4: Is that everything? I mean? It seemed like you said quite a bit more than that.
Speaker 1: From two thousand and three erected but a great so for your Coppola starring Bill Murray's Scolllet, Yo Hansen wilming Man.
Speaker 5: Do you enjoy Lost in translation?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I loved it. I mean I didn't. I gotta. I'm gonna be honest. I found the first half half an hour.
Speaker 1: Hard, right, Yeah, Yeah, I did. Yeah. Interesting.
Speaker 3: I'm a big I'm a big character development guy. I've got to see I've got to start seeing some movement there. And there was a lot of setting the scene. There was a lot of you know, like you've got a really good idea of who they were before they were brought into each other's worlds.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's half an hour, which you know, there's the first I guess, you know, inciting incident. I guess is Bill Murray and Scout at your hands and meeting in the bar with the earlier that almost happens bang on thirty minutes, which is you know, the save Save the Cat fans will know, ye, yeah, thirty minutes in. Yeah, it's I think if Bill Murray's not Bill Murray's so watchable, and those I really like that of their master and the feeling of what it's like to the discombobulation you feel when you arrive in the jet lag and this this city.
Speaker 5: We should actually have you been in Tokyo.
Speaker 3: I have, yeah, so I think I actually said to you hilariously, I've been in the bar where it's all films right in there in the Parkayat, because when I was there, a friend of mine was like, oh, you know, let's go to this joint. You know what's had one drink because I think it's like three hundred dollars cocktail these days. Yeah, you know, it's where Lost in Translation was filmed. And I didn't admit to them the time that I hadn't seen Lost in Translation because that was like I was like, oh cool, and here look over there. And then as I was watching the movie, I was like, oh my god, I've been there. So it was pretty funny watching it and knowing that i'd been there.
Speaker 1: I've been there twice. I went there the same year, the year that The Last Jedi came out, because I went there with my family for a holiday Japan for a few weeks, and then went back later that year to interview Mark Hamill Walker himself on a junket for the project. So it was just a lovely little surprise. I could go for another extra few days and and I love Tokyo and I think it's the perfect city. So for a couple of I think has worked in Tokyo a lot. I think she does some fashion stuff through the Japanese label, So I think there's a love and an understanding of the culture there is, like some people who you know, and some Japanese people who some critics who maybe thought it wasn't as sympathetic towards Japanese or it's a bit stereotypical, possibly even racist.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I'm not completely you know, I mean, everyone's of course, you know, if that's how you feel, that's that, that's how you feel. But I do think they are trying to capture Tokyo through the lens of two Americans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, so it is an Americans view of Tokyo landing and you.
Speaker 3: Trying to make it an authentic I mean that. In fact, if anything, she's at pains to point out that it's not from the Japanese point of view.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, that's the whole bit, right, exactly, right, Yeah, it's and you know what.
Speaker 5: It's like when you land in the city.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Tokyo's Tokyo is comfortably the biggest culture shock I've ever had in my life.
Speaker 1: It's crazy and like.
Speaker 3: Comfortably I remember, and I've traveled a lot, and I remember getting there and being like, holy shit, I may as well be on Mars because the first thing, and even more so than Shanghai, Like I don't know why. I feel like Shanghai maybe slightly was a little bit easier to figure out it was it was, And I think they did this well in the movie that it was almost the lights and the colors. I had no idea where I was, and I had no idea to get anywhere, and no one spoke English. Yeah, so you're just and then you just got lights and buzzers and fucking vending machines and shit gone off, And yes I was. I was rattled. It's yeah, rattled.
Speaker 1: And I think sometimes I arrive in a city and I'm like, I'm only there for like less than a day, and I'm like a bit disappointed in this, like because you're not comfortable in it. You know, even sometimes on the way from the airport to that you kind of forget, like if you you know, I love you, I'm a Melbourney and I love my hometown. But if you drive from Melbourne airport to the city it's a it's a very unimpressive drive, so you're gonna be going, what the fuck what do I come here for? And I still fall for that trap every time I travel.
Speaker 5: I really, this is Paris.
Speaker 3: And it's the worst snapshot you can possibly Yeah, it's got nothing to do with it.
Speaker 1: No, No, you're not.
Speaker 5: You're traveling this one other time when you go back to the airport.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I where's Tokyo. You're in it. You're you're like having a Tokyo bath the moment you get off the plane till the moment you leave.
Speaker 1: It's so it's so one thing, and it's it's it's there's this like duality of Tokyo that there is everyone's so polite and respe backfall and like the trains are really quiet, nobody really even talks on the trains. But then there's this other side of Takeyo that but there's a there's a scene where Scale hands and Charlotte is looking over the shoulder of a bloke and he's got his I think on the newspaper, but on the inside he's pornographic run. And that is, no doubt a comment on Japanese society. There is because there's so kind of.
Speaker 3: Maybe the word that's exactly what it is. Yeah, that's exactly what it is. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then there's there's another side of it, like they in Japanese culture, they will workers will you know, you're very respectful to you, to your boss at work, but then they'll all go out and drink.
Speaker 5: A lot that's right after work and it's just like you know, you know, that's when you say let it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's actually so like the the Japanese so like I think a lot of cultures are run on a shame model, whereas Western cultures running a guilt model.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So shame is you know, you don't want to publicly ever say out loud what's going on, and if you have to do that, then you know, if you go back to samurai time, you would rather kill yourself than do that, because shame is right. In the Western culture, we'll hold onto it, we'll just burn from the inside out, you know, and we're happy to do that in our own time, and we all do that, which is hilarious, whereas over there everything is repressed because you don't lie, you have to be honest, and you know, if you're honest, then you know, you may as well kill yourself, as I said. So I find it interesting that I read an article a little while ago just on that shame idea that after the Oscaca earthquakes, there was like one in five people in Japan, one in five people in Japan admitted to actually planning to kill their boss because and this, and there's just a reflection of what had happened the Oscaca earthquakes happened. There was you know, like huge rips in the road, people's families, people's houses literally just got subsumed by the earth earth and their boss would call them and be like they call their boss and be like, hey, I can't get to work earthquake, and their boss would be like you're do at nine, Wow, I'll see you soon. And so you're right, it's repressed. But I think what the movie did really well is it commented on that. But this is something that I would love to talk to you about because it happened a number of times whereby there were people laughing in the background. Yes of these shots, Yes, so they were clearly were they just did she I don't know if you've done any research of this. Was she just walking up to people going like, Hey, we're going to do a scene where Bill Murray is going to ask this guy over here what that contraption is, and can you guys just keep sitting there and listen.
Speaker 1: They shot this in twenty seven days and it was a gorilla style shoot. They got a suit around the hotel in the am like so basically, so they had not a lot of access on the streets. They had no permits, so they were just grabbing shots when they could. So one of the things you probably talking about is in the hospital waiting room when there's two women in the background, he's.
Speaker 3: Tossing himself somebody and they are just losing and.
Speaker 1: You can tell that they know they're not probably supposed to be laughing.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a point where one of them sits and goes to the others. She's like, come on, get it together. We are on camera. And I loved that.
Speaker 1: I loved it so much.
Speaker 3: I loved it. And then I think, you know, to your point about you know, the movie being racist or whatever like that, they're laughing about how ridiculous it is, but it's not. And even that grab you plaid before with that director and the advertisement, you can see a guy in the background absolutely pissing himself. Yes, while all of this is going on. So it's I don't know, I feel as if that for me was almost like the saving grace without letting it mock Japanese people because they were in on the joke. Yeah, like this is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, I think so. I feel maybe because I knew this a couple I had a love of Japan, and I kind of maybe take that for granted, having been the take out a couple of times, I kind of felt like from my experience, you know, and this is based on two characters who are there for about a week, which is about the time I was there for both times, and it kind of felt like my impression of Japan to a degree.
Speaker 3: Yes, definitely, you can't avoid the politeness.
Speaker 1: You get bowed to, like somebody I went for so many years ago, like when I was a teenager, you know, I thought of I almost went to Tokyo once for a weekend, but and I couldn't find my passport. So is the last minute in fact, I'm going to I'm going to I'm going to Tokyo. I had a mate over there and didn't go, but it was fast enough with the idea of going one day and somebody told me, They said that they're so polite over there, like if you if you stop on the street and pull a map out, somebody will come over to you and they will help you and where you will go. You got to train with my family. We've got to train from the airport too close enough to her accommodation, as close as the train station was, got out, got to map out as soon as we got out.
Speaker 5: Somebody like this thing that somebody told years earlier, literally the first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are incredible, yes, yes, almost obsequiously polite to the point where you're like, I feel like you're pissing in my pocket here. Yeah, you know you don't have to do that.
Speaker 1: Is that politeness.
Speaker 5: But then you know there were vending machines with underwear, you know they got rid of.
Speaker 3: That's the repress. That's the part of thing. That's the shame part of things.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, with the shame thing.
Speaker 1: There was an incident on set where one of the location they shot ten minutes over is when they're having their dinner later on, where things aren't going particularly well. They're a bit frosty between the two of them, and when they're at that place where they've got to put their own.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes they which by the way, I mean, like, how good was it just putting a boiling pot in between them at that point?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They just as a metaphor.
Speaker 1: It's just like, this is awesome, very nice.
Speaker 3: I said, nothing and there's just steam between them.
Speaker 1: So good. Yeah, it was so good. Yea. They shot for ten minutes over and the location director came up to the producer said I have to resign and he said why. He goes, because you shot ten minutes over and he goy, know, we'll pay for it, like everyone's getting paid and we'll pay that.
Speaker 5: She goes, no, no, but it's it's the designer.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: And then and then the the the Japanese crew who going to work for him said we have to resign too.
Speaker 3: Oh my.
Speaker 1: They had to have a big meeting the next day, and the American producers had to say we we okay, there's been a cultural misunderstanding.
Speaker 3: And genuinely lost in translation. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Literally, there were so many lost in translation moments.
Speaker 3: Which would have had they just had to have happened, because that is actually how it is over.
Speaker 1: There, and they were shooting, Like I said, I was shooting like handheld cameras a lot, and then the grill is just getting shouting those shots of Japan, especially shot from a moving car.
Speaker 3: But it's got sick. It's loved it. It works, and I loved it.
Speaker 1: It's because it's kind of how you feel when you arrive and are looking out of the taxi exactly though, exactly and grabbing shots. So the other thing we should mention is that the Sophia Copple of what was going on in her life. So Charlotte is basically her, right, it is her? Yeah, So Scaletta Hansen is seventeen when she makes this film. She's playing about a twenty five year old, which is actually pretty rare that you play up. Usually it's the other way around, like actual yeah yeah, yeah, now yeah, So why did she pick her?
Speaker 3: Like if she's seventeen, did she just grab her out of drama school?
Speaker 1: See? So she You know, we need to remind ourselves when this came out scale your hands, it was not scarlet your hands.
Speaker 3: I'm saying, where did she get up?
Speaker 1: She doesn't go a movie called ghost World, which I remember seeing. It was a bit of an indie hit, and there was no real clue that she was going to become the lute icon. Yeah, yeah, you come. It was you know, very much dressed down kind of indie kind of yeah, you know, almost slightly maybe gothic kind.
Speaker 3: Of Yeah, ribes okay, interesting and then the G word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes I did. I'm not afraid to go there.
Speaker 12: I know.
Speaker 1: Would he come up the shirts a bit? Sometimes? Not me, not on my own podcast, so he She apparently had made contact with her about six years earlier for something right, Okay, I think maybe for Virgin Suicides it was considered she was too young and they're not quite But then.
Speaker 3: But for a rum com with a fifty year old, well, this is and and they're right in the sweet spot and yeah, this is the questionable part of the movie. It really is.
Speaker 1: And we'll obviously we'll definitely will definitely get to that. But so for a couple of I was married to Spike Jones, the Spike Jones. He was actually in a great movie, Got Three Kings Cubange Clooney and Mark Wahlberg, made by David A. Russell.
Speaker 5: I hopefully we'll cover that film one day on this podcast.
Speaker 3: It was on the list it is on the list. I've seen it.
Speaker 1: It's a great film. Yeah, yeah, it's awesome.
Speaker 3: It's really good. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also so Spot Giants and then directs, you know, Being John Malkovich, her great film. Yeah. So it's kind of based on their marriage, him kind of you know, getting into this world, her maybe feeling a little bit kind of left behind. And the Anna Faris character supposedly, right is based on Cameron Diaz.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I didn't as soon as she walked because I knew it was about. What I knew is that it was it was kind of semi bio autobiographical or biographical. And then when Anna Faris walked on, I said to Sam, I was like, my partner. I was like, they're definitely making her look like Cameron Diaz. You're right there, you go like, if I had it, she could have been a body double for it. Yeah, straightened hair, she's so funny, she was, she's so funny. It's it's yeah, they've done Cameron Diaz was in Being John Malkovic, and that was but there's no it's interesting because there's there's no.
Speaker 1: I watched that.
Speaker 3: They don't conclude it. They don't.
Speaker 9: They don't conclude it saying that there was an affair or anything going on.
Speaker 1: It's just that they are. It's for me, it's and I have no idea, and we don't need to even go down the path of trying to guess if something had happened but in real life. But yeah, the fact is in the movie, it's just that he is going into this world and and and and getting seduced by this world, and she's not as seduced by it. Now she's in her own kind of no headspace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well she she was going to say she's lost, and then I was like, she's lost. Beautiful. I think for me that was one of the more impressive things about the movie if you think about I mean just severe Gopplo as a person at that time. Is her willingness to leave things open. Yeah, yes, like that takes alles that and maturity. Like people aren't writing those sorts of endings for you know, often much later in their careers. Like I mean, if you're young and you're writing anything, you're always looking for I don't know, it's just just comes with being a young writer. You want to you want to hit them over the head with a message you want to go like, this is what I'm trying to say here, and this is why this happens. And you know that's just that's just a young person's movie or a young person's script. But and there's probably five or six loose ends at the end of that movie where you just she just goes, I don't know, just figure it out. And that's what makes it so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it just washes this. Maybe this washes over you. Yeah, And there's a lot to think about, Like I guess there is. There is judgment on on on the Anafaris kind of character, you do, kind of.
Speaker 3: She's made to look like a dickhead. Yes, the same with her. She's doing the karaoke in the bar at the end and they just openly laugh at her and then run away.
Speaker 5: It's like it is And the press comments is hilarious, you know.
Speaker 3: The press. We're both into.
Speaker 5: The way.
Speaker 3: I've got two dogs too.
Speaker 1: I do you want to talk about the opening shot of the film, which has drawn a lot of comment over the years. The very first thing you see in this film is Charlotte. You're handsome, lying down wearing almost like sheard underwear see through. Yeah, and that's it's an arresting image. There's no doubt. There is no doubt about it. So a couple of has just said that she reminded her of a painting she spake her skull your hands and about it, Scully, you're handsome, you know, had to be convinced.
Speaker 3: That it was because she was forgetting that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think And I'm not sure if it's you know, talking about the male lens and the male male gay, Yeah, for sure, you know, but I think I think part of it is the more I think about it, they just questioned a whole way through the film, which is actually we will continue the discussion about what this movie is about. Isn't about sex or is it about friendship? Or is it about something else? And I think by starting with that image, it kind of puts a little expectation, Oh maybe this is about sex, you know, and because up and right at the end without jumping to the end of it, but when he's walking towards her, the big question you're kind of asking is are they gonna.
Speaker 3: Are they gonna hook up?
Speaker 1: The hook up and and that kind of maybe the sets that seed in the very first shot, that's one of the things, yes, you know angles, but it's.
Speaker 3: We actually had a moment. So I mean it sounds like Sam and I are talking all the way through the movie. We're not. But I think it's I think it's a sign of a really good film where you can both feel something without it being said, like what I said about on Sunde, and you can feel it on the other person, and I, you know, to give you you watching it home or no, you're watching the movies, you can feel it. You know, you can both you both just breathe a little bit less, you know. And I think when they went out they had that great night which just looked like so much fun. Yes, and it you know, this for me is the great tension of the movie. And I think that this is why, you know, I would almost go so far as to say that it's a masterpiece, because I just don't think that you can get and it comes down to the performances, of course, but I think that with minimal dialogue, with shots of Tokyo which had look like they're done in a camquarder with a fifty two year old and a seventeen year old, the fact that she manages to put you in a place of permanent ambiguity for that long without thinking it's cheesy or trite or too ambiguous or deliberately ambiguous. Is the great feet of the film and the bit where they go out they have that huge karaoke night. They get home. He carries her home, he puts her in a bed, he folds the blanket over the top of her, and he's just looking at her and he puts a hand on it, and all he does he puts his hand on his shoulder. And I said to Sam in that moment, I said, I really hope they don't hook up. I really hope they don't because this is beautiful. What the fact that this is about two lost people finding companionship and they haven't entered the sex conversation is brilliant, Like if this is the movie, I am so happy with the fact that they haven't gone there. I love that about it. And maybe that's what I loved most about Bill Murray at that point in that movie was I was like, thank god, there's a fifty two year old guy. And maybe it ties in with what you were saying before about the opening shot. It's like, hey, look, here's a really attractive young woman that's what they've gone for in the opening shot. I mean, all bit, we don't know she's seventeen. So there's this opening shot with her, and he goes, she's really attractive, and then you've got Bill Murray, who's yeah, washed up movies start and this in any modern context, if a young woman is showing interest in a film style like that, the sad part is that he's probably going to think at some stage that she's hitting on him and he's going to have a crack, right like that's that's the sad reality of that situation. That's the grooming bit. But he doesn't no, and you and you're just so on board with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think. I don't think he's ever comes across as predatory at all. In fact, he's gentle with her, even when he leaves the hotel on the doors locked it.
Speaker 5: These little touches yes that are in there, Yes that I think help.
Speaker 3: This is the bit that made it sad for me is when you talk about that lunch. Right, So we're good, we're good, we're good, we're good, just looking after each other, you know. Is that flirting? No, that's cool, it's cool, it's cool. Oh you know you know, after that scene, he calls his wife and then he sleeps with another woman. Right, so he's like he makes the decision when he puts it to bed that night, this is really great. I'm not going to fuck this up. Yeah, you can see it in him like that. That's that's why he goes and calls his family and then they go out for this lunch. The first thing she says is well, at least she's I suppose closer to your age and you just like I groaned audibly. I was like, no, don't don't give him that. He doesn't stand a chance now, Like he's trying so hard, you know, And and not not in a sense of the provocation or anything like that. It's not. I don't think it's about that. I think it's just like I think he decided in his head, I'm not going to fuck this up by making a play. And then she made a play, and I'm just like, ah.
Speaker 1: The fact that people still talk about this film, yeah, and you can watch it again and as I do, and my mind changes each time, Like when I watched it this week, is that right? I just kept watching all the little touches, Yeah, all the like physical all the times that they when they were holding hands in the lift. There's the left where they've come home for a night and they give each other a kiss on the cheek because it's almost on the lip.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, and Charlotte almost yes, it is almost the one almost.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: And then because they've taken the time to do that, they missed the stop.
Speaker 1: Yes, and they do it again yeah and yeah yeah yeah. That felt like wow. And then there's a scene where they're to get back to your point about one of the hook up they hook up. This movie falls apart because I think it's it's a unique, fascinating film that lives in this space of ambiguity. Like you said that that is so rewarding and the kid asking questions. Yes, what makes this time special between them is there is some cheating going on here when it's not sexual, but there's an emotional definitely transactions going on that he's not going to tell his wife exactly he laid on the bed, you know, Yes, five year old, she's not going to tell her husband that. You know, she did the same thing with the fifty two year old. Yes, you know that's a cheat. You know, I feel friend told you that you'd a bit concerned to be like, hang on, well that's going to be not cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Great thing about cinema, yeah, is we can come in and have this kind of more holistic, kind of like view of the world and we can hear yeah, and we can see that they're both in weird they actually need each other during.
Speaker 3: This need each other. That's it, well said, he's.
Speaker 1: Going through a midlife Christ like an earlier life Christ.
Speaker 3: Ye Christ.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they kind of just need each other at this point and that makes it, I think, really special. And we hear it's funny that the phone calls to home and you know, I'm sure you'll you'll be well away and working and you know, we we live in a fun little world where we get to hang out with other adults sometimes and travel.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sometimes you call home and those yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember, particular when the kids are young, the tricky phone calls that labrigate because how much how much do you want to let them know that you know, you're having a pretty fun time, Like you don't want to go away and have a bad time. You don't want to make you know, being hotel rooms depressing. Yeah, so you know, you don't want to hide too much, but you don't want to shove it in their faces. When you hear the kids in the background exactly, he's he wants to kind of connect you to kind of like he's talk about the music that he.
Speaker 5: I'm going to find out. I'm going to bring something back for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's why and the burgundy, and the wife is like, I think there's one way you can you know, the wife does come across as a bit kind of sturdy, but yeah, at the same time, it's dirty if you think about it.
Speaker 5: Beautiful word, well, if you think about it, like she's running.
Speaker 3: A hat that is, and he's over there making money, he's having.
Speaker 5: Been drinking, you know, doing karaoke and you know, experiencing.
Speaker 3: There's a line. There's a line I think. I mean, I don't know whether this is just Bill Murray, but that bit where he's in the bath and he calls her and and what does she say is she's like, he.
Speaker 1: Says, I want I want to start eating Japanese food that's.
Speaker 3: Right every day and yeah, I want to get my ship together. I want to be healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And if you love it so much, want to stay there forever. But it's not it's not said out of anger. I think it's it's kind of set out of annoyance.
Speaker 3: It's like or whatever, mate, like you're in Japan, I'm here screaming in the background. Yeah that's so true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think there's a way you can be really judgey on. I think lidiar. I think is the yes.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think if you imagine from her point of view, what.
Speaker 3: Are you complaining about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have that.
Speaker 3: I have that conversation with Sam all the time, like I'm just you know, I'm like, oh, it's really tough, and she's like shut up, like shut up, like you were just you know what. Our jobs can feel like you were here, you were there, you were staying there, you had dinner with them, Like shut up, like whatever.
Speaker 1: It is hard enough when you're just you know, away, and put a time zone on that in a different time when he's drunk, she's fixing breakfast.
Speaker 3: It's just it's it's a good commentary. And maybe I was actually thinking about you watching this because you know, I feel as if it's like she's obviously Seville Cobble was in you know, entertainment. She spending the entertainment her whole life obviously with her dad, and it just felt like a commentary in general on because he's a film star, Yeah right, and just it felt like there's a really interesting commentary on the fact that because he obviously doesn't like what he does, like he's you know, it's been ages since you made him. You know, there's an initial conversation with the kids with him in the bar and they're like, oh, did you do your own stunts? And he's like, yeah, I did, and then he walks off. He hates it, and he's there completely bereft, clearly only there for the money.
Speaker 5: That's it, is it.
Speaker 3: He's only there for the money. He's doing the cheesiest ad of all time, and he's searching for something that he's he's just not getting. There's clearly a lack of connection in terms of who he is. And you know, there's all these funny shots of him playing golf and him on a you know, the cross trainer, as you mentioned, like is constant search for who you are. And I mean this is going to sound potentially kind of controversial, but that for me was what they what he found in her was he found the connection that he was looking for this whole time, which and it's funny he has that. He has that speech you know at the end where you know the famous line about kids and you know, the most terrifying daut of your life. But the line from me which is most memorable for that is she's like, does it get easier? And he's like, you know, you well, once you get older, you kind of you figure out more of what you want and then you stop. Then you know who you are and you know you know what you want, and then you stop worrying about things as much. Let's you've got it.
Speaker 1: Let's I've got these in two parts, because they almost cover her off and then they cover from his perspective, this is as close as they get to her betrayal. I think lying in a bed, you know, hotel bed with it, you know, like you actually put it in your own you know, like life, it's there's no denying it to betrayal. Like I said, were coming with in cinematic great thing that films, we can kind of see they do need each other. She needs as much as he does. Because one of the saddest moments in the film is when she calls she calls a friend back home, and she's clearly upset. She says, I went and saw some monks. They were chanting, and I felt nothing. And now my husband is using hair products, new hair. Brother don't know I'm married. She's clearly upset, and her friend does not give a fuck so bad. Yeah, have fun, you know, not listen. I suspect she doesn't have a large friendship grip anyway.
Speaker 3: So then and and and she finds in him like he forgets like I feel like a lot of this film is about like just forgiving another person for who and what they are, because they both in their relationships don't get forgiven by their partners for being who they are. She says to him, what's his name? Thinks I'm snotty And he obviously there's no understanding from his partner as to what he is either, and probably because he doesn't be like you can tell her whatever it is. But they find each other, and you know, the first time he walks into her apartment, he goes, my bathroom's messy with the yours, and then he goes and grabs the soul Searching CD. And whether or not he's got that CD or not, I'm going to say he probably doesn't. He goes, who's is this and she says, I don't know, and he's like, oh, okay, that's clearly yours. So to make you feel better, I've got that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I just it's funny that you can have a relationship with this person that you're destined to be with and think that this is it and everything, but then as soon as you meet someone outside of that who forgives you for who you are, that's that's what the relationship should be.
Speaker 1: Well, I think this movie is this relationship is not necessarily a romance or a friendship, but it's something more. I think what it is is that these two people have met each other, had this deep connection, but they know nothing can happen, not just because they're both married, it's just and the ages, it's just it's almost like a past lives. It's almost like these two people it's almost what they knew each other in the past. Yeah, and then they can't quite Have you seen that Past Lives? I fucking obsessed with that movie.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable, It's so unbelievable. Yeah, yeah, that was so good. Similar ending as well, Yes, right, in terms of this, like Hey, what is it?
Speaker 12: What?
Speaker 3: What the hell was that?
Speaker 1: I don't know what to do that you left it a bit open and making interesting choices with the other characters, like like with the Lydia and and the you know where you don't the husband in that movie.
Speaker 5: I love that they didn't I could turn him into.
Speaker 3: So good about it. I've that was I thought that was one of the great feats of that movie is that it wasn't and and and the other part of that movie was that similar to this, although I I didn't look my first watch, but I feel like she leant down there there was something going on with these two because of the kiss. But in Past Lives, what I loved about that was that it went the other way. Yeah, it was this this is great And I think I think that's maturity in love or in life. Is there's a difference between swearing yourself to somebody through commitment and like knowing what that brings versus if we all just hooked up with everyone we had a connection with, like what would it mean? Yes, but to be able to stand you know, your own ground, like at the end of Past Lives and be like, yeah, look cool, there was something really beautiful there, but I've made a choice here and respect yourself for that. And I thought, that's what That's what I loved about Bill Murray for so much of this movie is there was this clearly this tension. He's a guy, she's smoking hard. There's a connection that that for me, it was that was the character study for me that that I was most interested in. It was like, what are you going to do? And I think that's why I like movies, That's why I like stories so much. That's why I liked her character so much. Is this constantly putting making you as an audience member, putting you in the whoever's on the screens shoes going what are you doing there? Yeah, that's what you're talking about? It is that a betrayal? He touched her foot? The touching on her foot is like a bit weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was for me, like, that's that's getting almost too intimate, like that, that is certainly a crossing of a of a line.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not not in a in a kind of oh creepy kind of way, but.
Speaker 1: It's that that tells me that he's easy's yeah, yeah, they're something there and yeah, and it could be that you know, Another version is he tried to kissing, doesn't do that, but he feels enough of a connection to kind of touch her naked. Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's in Japan, I mean, the home of the king, where feet rains the bread or wicked.
Speaker 1: Feet is probably born. I assume, I assume you scut your hands and as many photos of her feet on Wiki feet. Funnily enough, she she mentions she doesn't know what she wants to do, and she tried photography, but she yes, right, she took a photo of her own feet A couple of.
Speaker 4: To do that.
Speaker 3: You're kidding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, there was so much about it that I was like, oh, this is yeah. Let's ever listened to that conversation on the bed. This is the first half of it.
Speaker 12: Does it get easier?
Speaker 4: No, yes, it gets us.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, at you.
Speaker 4: Thanks. And the more you know who you are and what you want, the less you like things upset you.
Speaker 12: Yeah. I just don't know what I'm supposed to be.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 12: I tried being a writer, but I hate what I write. And I tried taking pictures, but there's some mediocre you know, every girl goes through a photography phase, you know, like horses you know, take a dumb pictures of your feet.
Speaker 4: You'll figure that out. And I'm not worried about you keep riding.
Speaker 2: I'm so mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so honest and it's not not flowery, like it's just.
Speaker 1: A yeah.
Speaker 3: I also love. The thing that struck me about that scene was he's he sits there and goes, the more you know what you want, the less that things upset you, right, And she goes, I just don't know who I need to be. Right. Ironically, for me, she at that point of the film is the antithesis of she's really getting an understanding of what she wants and it's clearly not upsetting her anymore. Yeah, And he has no idea what he needs anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So they kind of like both describe each other's narrative, but he's giving it as advice to her and it's like, can you listen to yourself? And she's trying to say and she's saying to him, this is who you are, mate, You've got no idea who you are. And I thought that that, for me was like really genius, and I suppose that was the great You know, there's so many moments that are lost in translation. There's the director, and there's there's him there, there's him at the time, doctors waiting room. There's their relationship, there's their relationship with both of their partners. There's their relationship they have with the city. Like, there's all these things that are lost in translation, But the biggest thing he's lost in translation with both of them is their relationship they have with themselves. Yeah, they're both so out of their depth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just don't know what this is, and they both know that it can't actually progress really in any kind of real way for lots of different reasons. But yeah, and yeah, the other way looking at is more of a father father daughter sole a relationship. When you listen to that, you know, when you take away the image of them in the bed and you listen to what he's saying when he says, I'm not worried about you. Yeah, you're gonna be as a very fatherly thing to say, and then that touch in the foot can become a bit more you know, Yeah, just everything will be okay. Yeah, you know, there's two different ways, a couple different ways you can look at it.
Speaker 3: That's it's funny you mentioned their feet thing, because I actually hadn't. I forgot about the feet line. But she mentions feet and then he touches their foot. Yeah, so it's one point.
Speaker 4: We used to have a lot of fun.
Speaker 14: Oliviya would come with me when I made the movies and we would laugh about it all. Now she doesn't want to leave the kids, and she doesn't.
Speaker 4: Need me to be there.
Speaker 14: The kids miss me, but they're fine, and it gets a whole lot more complicated.
Speaker 4: When you have kids.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's scary.
Speaker 4: It's the most terrifying day of your life, the day the first one is born.
Speaker 12: Nobody ever tells you that.
Speaker 4: Your life as you know it is gone now a return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk, and.
Speaker 14: And you want to be with them, and they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life.
Speaker 1: What I love about it, it's not he's obviously going through a bit of a malaise, you know, within his marriage, But it's not there's a version of this where like we keep doing Aboutlydia could have been aggressive or hostile towards each other. It's not that. It's just they're just in a bit of a funk, you know, and maybe he's in more of a funk than sheese or we see it more from his sod, but he's not. He's not slagging the marriage, you know, and he's recognizing, Yeah, it can be working, it can be tough, but there's beauty. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I think that's a really good point. He really like of all the betrayals that he makes, if we want to call them betrayals in terms of the emotional cheating that goes on, and I think there is definitely a degree of that. He never slags on his current relationship. No, Yeah, he does fuck the singer from the bar.
Speaker 1: Which which it's interesting that it kind of happens because you kind of wonder why.
Speaker 3: He's doing He's doing it because he's trying to prove himself that he doesn't want to be with Charlotte.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and whether it's also just there's just there's this tension that's built in him. Yeah, it's been this chemistry and true I kind of I'm gonna And whether he's articulated that to himself or it's just yeah in that moment, Yeah, hilarious. By the way, when he wakes up, that's all. It's so you barely see her. She's just by the way.
Speaker 5: So a couple of saw her an Australian singer Louncinger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to say she's an Aussie she Catherine Lambert is a couple of saw her in Tokyo and got the used to the tracker down she'd move back to South Australia and yeah, so I found her in awesome. Yeah, so those touches. I love when filmmakers go to the first all yes, yes, authenticity, it's it's great. Let's get to the we have to wrap things up, so let's get to a famous ending. I guess there's two goodbyes. Yeah, this is the first one in that takes place in the hotel room. He rings up asking for his jacket and this leading know that he's about to leave, and she eventually comes down, What are you doing here in Japan?
Speaker 4: I have to go right now? Hi, Hi, thank you, you're welcome. I've missed you.
Speaker 10: How are you going right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And my body goes right here. All right, aren't you going to wish me in have a good freight or something?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Right, okay, bye, can I give.
Speaker 12: Sure?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 1: Well, of course you don't see with just listening to the audio is Bill Murray's face as she walks away, like he's having his photo taken and he's not smiling.
Speaker 3: He's he just doesn't do that, does he. No, he doesn't do those sorts of shots, which is why it hits so hard. I was like, is he he's acting there like he's upset? He doesn't. I don't know. Bill Murray just seems like one of those guys for me where he kind of plays the same person in every movie because he is just that's all you want to do. You just want to capture that on camera, and you see it in nearly every scene in that movie is just they've clearly just gone okay, let's just roll for ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Yes, there are scenes. I think with the more comedic scenes, he was given permission to ad live and I mean we should actually even.
Speaker 3: In that scene. Yeah, it felt like that was very much. He makes that joke about the fight or fright a good fright, and sam My partner, she said this to me and she was like, you can tell the moments in the movie where he genuinely makes her laugh. Yeah, you see with the black toe in the bar that you know he makes it. He does make her laugh a lot.
Speaker 1: He does, he does. There was a tough shoot for Scale at Your Hands, Like I said, she's seventeen a few times fifty two heard like third movie. You know Bill Murray's a legend. Yeah, Bill Murray, so he fired his agents, you know, famously years ago and basically has an answer machine.
Speaker 3: I heard this, So that's the best thing ever.
Speaker 1: So Sophia Coppler had to like ring up people, like she literally rang al Pacino and said, I've got this role for a film. Can you put me in touch with it? Like say I want you for I want to give Bill, Can you put me in touch with Bill Murray? And like everyone's way he's elusive and wrote for Bill Murray, she said, if he doesn't play it in the film's like any made.
Speaker 3: Joking so sick.
Speaker 1: So left messages trying to get go through Where's Anderson who had done Rushmore and yeah and the friends through Jason Schwartzman, who's a cousin of Severe Coppola and did not know it, like went to Japan, that's so cool. Went to Japan to set up the preproduction, still not knowing if Bill Murray was going to show up. It seems crazy and kind of impossible to me, and they arrived like two weeks before filming.
Speaker 3: It's better and better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so no real rehearsal my god, so, oh my god, that's so good.
Speaker 1: And the scene that Bill Murray was either like in performing it was an Academy Award, but I think I mentioned so a couple of did we also win the Best Original Screenplay for this film? Well deserved? Yeah it was. Scalia Hansen has been very I think very and they're both very respectful to each other. But I think I don't think they they acknowledged that the chemistry on on screen was electric. Something happened when the cameras were rolling off screen. They weren't.
Speaker 5: They weren't, like you know, it kind of makes sense on.
Speaker 1: Different styles of work, different you know.
Speaker 3: What are they going to talk about? Well, yeah, like what in the world are they going to talk about? More? Probably kids, he owned at that stage.
Speaker 5: I do wonder if if you to do it now, whether Sofia Coppler would I.
Speaker 3: Don't think you'd be able to have the end.
Speaker 1: I think she said that she's not sure she could make the film, but I do wonder, you know, whether she would be more alert to the fact that there's a seventeen year old and a fifty teen year old.
Speaker 3: And definitely helping, definitely, or she would have had to have been yeah, rather than two thousand and three. Right, yeah, like come on, I mean, this is this is it and amongst everything that goes on in Hollywood at this time. So, like you know, it's the fact that that wasn't even mentioned or considered. It doesn't surprise me at all. I mean, through one lens that the movie is a grooming film. Yeah, yeah, a guy that grooms a young girl. That is that is definitely a lens that you can view this through. So but that just wasn't on anyone's radar at that stage.
Speaker 1: No, No, And it's it's the skill biosophia couple of both in the script and the direction and the performers. Skolja Hansen has always had like an older, like a wiser vibe the deep which you know, like.
Speaker 3: She doesn't she doesn't behave like a seventeen year old girl. Well certainly not seventeen old girls that I hung out with.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know that she and she is playing twenty five.
Speaker 1: I know we mentioned it. It's important that we know the character is not seventeen, Yes it is, but from a from a production point of view, yes, yeah, so a couple of does. But I meant to mention there's a big theme that runs through all of her movies. Often it is it is a woman in a privileged isn't in a way? It's a park Height in Lost in Translation, vigin Suicide as a house, Mari Enterlinette for sure, So Somewhere was a great film in the Chateau my Moont. So it's definitely a theme that comes.
Speaker 3: From you just saw On the Rocks as well.
Speaker 5: On the Rocks is fun, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? With Bill Murray as well, obviously, so yeah, and I love.
Speaker 1: That Rashida Jones as well. Jones Yeah great, yeah, great, Yeah. We get to the final goodbye. So this is on the street, he sees her, he gets out, what happens next?
Speaker 14: Hey you.
Speaker 8: Come?
Speaker 1: Usually I wouldn't play a grab for a minute with basically no dialogue, but famously, this this this ending, people have tried to come and listen in what did he say?
Speaker 3: What did he say?
Speaker 12: That?
Speaker 1: Nobody is the filmmakers, the actors. I don't think I've ever said what he did? Actually say, even on the day or what you think he said. But it's kind of it's kind of magic. I mean, do Yeah, we have to acknowledge they do kiss. It's certainly a kiss.
Speaker 3: At the end there, there's definitely a kiss.
Speaker 1: It's not like a one on the cheek.
Speaker 3: Is it a hug kiss or a kiss? Hug?
Speaker 1: It's a hug. It's a hug first. I think it's a kiss.
Speaker 3: That was the roller coaster I went through. I was like, don't kiss her, don't kiss her, don't kiss that. They hugged and I was like great and they kissed. Yeah, and I was like fuck because I I didn't want that in my head because I liked what it was. But I mean, it all depends what he says, like what what does he say to lead them to kiss.
Speaker 1: I don't think even the kiss. I can understand you're saying you didn't necessarily want that, And I think it works with or without it. Yeah, I think for me it doesn't change it. These two still had this connection.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, that was it.
Speaker 1: Probably it probably does. Yeah, you probably have to accept, oh there was something. You don't kiss your daughter like that, you know, no drop off, so you know, like if you if you were prone to going down the father door to kind of path that probably the spells it a little bit. Yeah, like I said, I'd like to at least what I love about the film. Everyone can have different I said. I did kind of track all the touching that goes on when they come back into the into the bar, when they're laughing at you know, the Anna Paris character sing karaoke. They are holding hands like they're arm in arm. You know, there are all these little touches.
Speaker 9: Really, did you had a little touching tally the corner of your note? I should have had an next our spreadsheet. Actually they are like, yeah, they are elevator peck twice.
Speaker 1: And Okay, when you watch it again, and I think you will revisit this, Yeah, it's hard not to many times, you know, over the years, like you will just you may even have a different response to it, like it's what do you think?
Speaker 3: He said?
Speaker 1: I think it was like obviously not word for word, but no, I suspect it's probably like things are going to turn out. Okay, You're going to be fine, and I'm glad I met you.
Speaker 3: Something like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, in real life, this movie came out and Sophie a couple of separated from Spike Jones not long after, like this was like this and obviously, I mean you've see this film and it's not it's not kind, it's not you know, Spike.
Speaker 5: Let's call him the Spike Jones character photographer. You know, he's just he's.
Speaker 1: Busy and he has to get he's a massive but they could make him more of a toy.
Speaker 5: Could more of a you know, they could have cranked that up even even more.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Michelle Gondree, who's a great directed directed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Big Kind rewind and good good friends with Spike Jones, and they he apparently had a bit of a cobbles saying I think your portrayal of him was unfair. But you know, it's her story, it's.
Speaker 3: From her perspectives, that's the whole bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I find it really fascinating that you said that the chemistry between Scarlett and Bill was strained. Strained. This is what makes it a good performance because I was so invested and that final scene I was, Yeah, there was a part of me when he was running up behind her where I was like, I hope it's not I know, I thought it might not have been her, you know, but I was like, oh, it's going to be a bit cheap if we kind of go with that trick. But she seems so beautifully reassured by what he says to her. Yes, like there's a real sense of like thank you. And even when he kissed her, Yeah, it was like it was like she was one of his own kids. But you're right, it's you don't kiss you, don't kiss you. I was actually doing a bit of Reddit. I was actually I'm a big Reddit. I wasn't read it afterwards, and one of the comments was it was just someone who said I specifically looked up. I was like, what did he say? Yeah, because I was like, I just did anyone does anyone actually know? It might be like a nice bit of production note And I was going to blow your mind here there was something. So there was someone who'd slowed it down and like analyzed it and it's not what you think either, like I.
Speaker 1: Got up greater than business on the way on the flight time.
Speaker 3: No, so he said. You can listen to the evidence of the following cup through some quite disconcerting reverberation. The apparent line is I have to be leaving, but I won't let that come between us, Okay, right, which is hard down there. This is a relationship. Yeah, so apparently, I mean obviously the only people that on set that knew about it were Sophia, Bill and Scarlet, so no one else actually knows. And then this guy went through and you know, slowed it right down and like analyzed it with you know, whatever technology used and like that. For me that when I read that, I was like that that can that for me completely ruined it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, and we really didn't want to know that, No, but I would I would almost discard it because because the filmmaker is not one of us to know what was said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it could have been that's what he said. It could be the person's wrong, yeah, but.
Speaker 3: Or they could have just said, Bill, say whatever the hell you want, because we're never going to tell anyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So, as you said, it's not editorialized, which means it's deliberately not meant to be in the movie, so it doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well mate, that was so good.
Speaker 1: I was really excited that you chose this, and and I thought you'd get Sometimes I'm confident that someone's going to enjoy a film, and I was, you were going to enjoy it. I love your movies and.
Speaker 3: So perverted relationships.
Speaker 1: I have a messusse or sex wiker coming in. She wants you to lick her stockings or something. Such a good so bizarre. Yeah, it was funny, and then it was like.
Speaker 3: She fell over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mister mister Harris, mister Harris, let's let's go out on some suntory.
Speaker 4: For relaxing times. Make it suntory time.
Speaker 1: Did you let you go?
Speaker 5: The fun fun fact?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 3: So many great ones about this well.
Speaker 1: Frank of all, Coppola did actually go to Japan to shoot a whiskey commercial with a Kisara, legendary Japanese filmmaker, so that was kind of part of the I think Nicholas Cage also went over who's a cousin of Sophia Coppola part of the you know, the family to shoot one where he sung and it's I think you can find that only it's pretty bizarre. That's awesome, it's pretty bizarre. So Sophia couple won the Best Original Screenplayer. Did mentioned that? So four million dollar budget forty four and a half million in the US one hundred and twenty million worldwide. Wow shot in twenty seven days.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's brilliant. It's so good. Sometimes when I did this podcast, I watch a film that I know I really enjoy and I go, I think I enjoyed.
Speaker 5: It even more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right the rewatch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this could even be like, yeah, I got to do my top ten because this could be this could be a top ten. Yeah really I think so.
Speaker 3: I think it's really it gets support. I get that last shot. Yeah, I was like the fact that there was that, the fact that you didn't let you know what he said that, As I said, the deliberate ambiguity of the film is it's genius. Yeah, you just don't get a movie that that goes for that long, which for what I'm gonna say, ninety of the one hundred and forty minutes or whatever it is, one hundred and twenty minutes. It's not that it wasn't that long, was it?
Speaker 10: How long?
Speaker 1: Was it's about one bet one hundred and forty that's one hundred and forty yeah, yeah, of ninety of that, I was like, I've got no idea what's going on? Yeah, but I'm still interested.
Speaker 3: But that that's they put you in.
Speaker 1: A play and to put you on a feeling. And I love it, mate, Thank you so much. Keep kicking goals, Will and Wooding. Absolutely. How long has it been there? Twelve years?
Speaker 3: It's been a long time. Yeah, yeah, ten years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's increasing, I said in an introduction for somebody who's had a crack at that, an unsuccessful crack at that time. Slot to do twelve years, I mean to do. To be honest, it gets resigned once in that in that kind of role, is it doesn't happen. Thank you, continue to get resigned. It's always a joy to visit you guys in your studio and great hanging out with you today.
Speaker 3: You too, man, Thanks having me.
Speaker 10: On, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks? What can I get you?
Speaker 12: I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: For relaxing times, make it suntory time.
Speaker 10: I'll have a.
Speaker 4: Thanks. So what are you doing here?
Speaker 11: A couple of things, taking a break from my wife forgetting my son's birthday and uh, getting paid two million dollars to endorse a whiskey.
Speaker 4: When I could be doing a play somewhere.
Speaker 2: Mm.
Speaker 4: But the good news is the whiskey works. What are you doing?
Speaker 10: My husband's a photographer, so he's here working and I wasn't doing anything, so I came along and we have some friends that live here.
Speaker 4: How long you have been married? Mm?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 10: Mm two years?
Speaker 4: Twenty five long ones. M.
Speaker 10: You're probably just uh having a mid life crisis.
Speaker 4: Did you buy a Porsche yet?
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 1: I was thinking about playing a Porsche all it's always suntory time. That was Will McMahon from The Will and Woody Show, the Hit Show, and that was a joy. I had a feeling Will would enjoy this movie Lost in Translation. But I'd never count my chickens before they hatch. Is that the saying I think it is? And yes, I'm glad that he watched the right movie, unlike Dan Connell a couple of years ago, when he realized as I was doing.
Speaker 5: Introduction that he'd watched the wrong movie. Not Lost in Translation.
Speaker 1: He watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for reasons that I only really known to Dan Connell. Still a fun episode, that one, though, And this one was a great one. I loved that it was almost a conversation I was hoping to have that where it was a lot of movie talk but also around the themes of the movie. And so much going on behind the camera in Lisson translation and also on camera. It is such a rewatchable film. To borrow a phrase from the podcast, thank you for listening to you and see nothing yet we are back. We'll have a whole bunch of episodes for you, and new ones are coming up. Some big guests coming up, some fine comedians and actors coming up to give you a hit. Some of the movies that you might want to check out before we get to them. You might want to check out Cool Hand Luke. You might want to check out The Big Chill This Thing, Good morning vietnamm A Lei next week before I get to that. Actually, thank you for enjoying the show. I love your feedback. Jasney Podcasts at gmail dot com. If you want to drop us a line, that'd be great. If you want to get your voice on the podcast, follow the links and leave us a voice message, that would be great to hear your voice. So I'm not just in the studio talking to myself at this point, so that'd be great. Go to iTunes and give us a rating, commend five stars. It keeps everything moving in the right direction, gets the word out for you. Ain't seen and nothing yet, So that'd be lovely if you could do that. Leave a review, some nice words, that'd be nice next week on the show. A comedian who I've admired for a long time because he did something that not a lot of austraining comedians have done. He left Australia to pursue his comedy and didn't go to the UK, which is a well worn path for a lot of ossie comedians. Maybe they go to Edinburgh and then they stay there. But Monty Franklin journeyed to the City of Lights, to Los Angeles and started applying his craft over there. I have met him kind of sporadically over the years. I hung out with him and saw him do comedy with a Knight. I think myself and Tommy Little were over in LA and we hung out with Monty. Great guy, funny guy. Got a movie coming up about the Emy Wars that he's written with John Clees and Rob Schneider. Believe it or not, I wasn't expecting that that should be a hoot. There's another EMU Wars film that's been has been out, which I think started as a web series and then they turned it into a film that's got a lot of great people in it as well. This will be I think, a bit of a different beast. We'll talk a bit about that next week. But Monty Franklin will be joining us.
Speaker 5: He's in town.
Speaker 1: We've nabbed him and he will be chatting about a movie that I've been wanting to cover for a while. We're going back to Paul Newman again because Paul Newman is a beautiful man and beautiful to watch, and this is one that I've seen. I watched when I was a bit younger. I love it. Guns and Roses fans know it. Cool Hand Luke. That's right, Paul Newman, Cool Hand Luke. It's a cracking film. If you love Shawshank Redemption and you haven't in Cool Hand Luke, check out Cool Hand Luke before you listen to the podcast. It's a beauty. I love it. Can't wait to chat the Monty about it. It's gonna be a big one Monty Franklin next week, Cool Hand Luke. Until then, back an hour and so we leave Old Pete safe and soult and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night