Speaker 1: My Heart podcasts. Hear more Kiss podcast playlist, and listen live on the Free iHeart Appo Pickup with Brittle and Laura Ben Lady. Your what our windows done? That's my world? Risen the dust only good fable. I've done much, but yeah, I know our big get and what I want. It don't matter where. This is the pick up. Happy Monday everyone, you're listening to the Pickup with Bret Hockey and Laura Burn. It is a happy Monday for some of us, particularly.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about a professional dancer in the room myself.
Speaker 1: Anyone who missed it last night was dancing with the stars and our very own sorry, come on, credit where credits you? I do agree, I'm so sorry I left that out. You were amazing and who won the semi finals?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 1: Who won the Sorry? Was there atrocal question? I did? Yay?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I did you get the top score last night? Which is pretty cool? You also got a ten. I mean I wouldn't know what that feels like because I didn't come close to a ten. I think I got a seven and that was my highest score. Did I do seven? You did some good dances, though, I reckon they must have been tough.
Speaker 2: On you.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so. Anyway, I got to come on and give you some hot tips.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, so if you missed it, I was in the studio one day and Laura decided to surprise me to give me some Dancing with the Stars tips.
Speaker 1: Have a listen.
Speaker 2: I think the most helpful thing about Laura coming in was that it just relaxed me.
Speaker 1: Was good morale, boos song.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: It wasn't helpful at all.
Speaker 2: But the technique because she didn't have any up here, is just as important as damn it.
Speaker 1: He looks so good, you actually look so dat. I'm just here to support your mental well being. I'm not here for any hot tips when it comes to dancing, because I think we've all established if anyone watched me on Dancing with the Stars, I'm not particularly good at it, so who am I to give advice?
Speaker 2: But that way anyway, I am through to the Grand Final, which will be next Monday.
Speaker 1: If you do want to support me, watch how much how much chance do you think you have of winning it? I would have said.
Speaker 2: None if you asked me a week or two ago, but then like to win the semi final night and get a ten.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, maybe I'm not as bad as I thought, Like, maybe I don't know. I think it's because my.
Speaker 2: kIPS dislocate and so my leg goes really high, and I think that that's all.
Speaker 1: I've got to get me through.
Speaker 3: You are.
Speaker 1: You are definitely a lot bendier and a lot more flexible than I ever knew. I feel like I'm learning things about you from watching you on Dancing with the Stars. You're welcome. Well anyway, we know if radio goes tits up, you've got another career in you. I want to know, guys, have you ever accidentally called someone by the wrong name? Maybe it wasn't just the wrong name. Maybe it was a term of affection, just an awkward situation where you've accidentally coined someone by a name you really shouldn't have.
Speaker 2: I definitely once called the guy that I was seeing we're in bed on my birthday and I called him by my ex's name, or went down like a lead balloon.
Speaker 1: As in you were in bed bed or just like laying in bed, just as I said I was. I don't think we need a visual but because it's different, right, was it in the throes of passion or was it just accidental, just.
Speaker 2: Like we just woke up, It was just morning time. Nothing was sexy, was happy.
Speaker 1: I want to say, I think you know how people talk about baby brain, like I think baby brain has taken over for me. I said the other week, how I accidentally introduced my husband to a random guy? Is your husband's name? Hi? This is my husband Ben?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Ben? Did I have questions about that? But anyway, not my husband's name at all. Well, I also I've done it again, and this one, I would say is arguably worse. So my dad, who I love dearly. He lives on a remote little island. He is an ex like army vet. He just he's not a super big people person, right, And like we text message a lot, we speak on the phone infrequently, but I keep him updated with photos of the girls. And We've been recently rentoing a house down south, and I've been sending him reno content because he really enjoys it. But we also are not super super affectionate, you know, like we'll say like love you and that sort of stuff, but we're not like a really really affectionate family. Yeah, okay, okay, So I was sending him some pets of the kids, and then I was sending him some photos at the renovation, and then I also send him a text message and I said, this, how crazy is this before and after daddy? And there's something really humbling about being an almost forty year old woman and calling your dad daddy. So I then freaked out, of course, naturally, except this is happening in text message, in real time, and I was like, ha ha ha, so sorry. I didn't mean to call you daddy. That was just a weird autocorrect moment. And all I got from my dad was I got left on red for half an hour and then I got a thumbs up, Laura, why did you double down? Just let it go, move on, send some more pitches. You can't just call your father daddy and then just move on. It's you know why. It's because I call my husband daddy, which sounds weird. Also not in a sexy way, as in like because like the kids call him daddy. So I'll be like, oh, go and ask daddy or do this for daddy. Hate to get away with that with Matt, not with your own dad.
Speaker 2: Hey, Daddy, check my child's out, Daddy, Like that's sweet.
Speaker 1: It's giving like how the Royal family, you know, like they call their momm He's still like, yeah, there has to be an age limit. Mums is different though, because.
Speaker 2: Mummy mummy's not used in that like sexual connotation that that tone.
Speaker 1: Daddy is, Daddy is in hey, daddy, Sorry, Grace is in the same sex relationship right now. It's like, I think that's not true if we definitely mummy each other. I also recently called my boss honey, like I don't know what's wrong with me, but it needs to stop. It's not okay, it's inappropriate.
Speaker 2: You make me feel wildly uncomfortable a lot when I call you names. Now, when you call my boss honey in front of me, I'm like, I don't call him honey.
Speaker 1: Do I need to ca him money? IM getting pay rise? And why not doing something? We got ash on the line, Ash, What did you accidentally call someone?
Speaker 3: Okay, lady, I called working in childcare? I called one of our currents daddy literally told him love you, daddy as he was handing his child over to me to leave for work.
Speaker 1: Why did you say you love him?
Speaker 3: Busy morning?
Speaker 4: You know what childcare is like?
Speaker 3: Busy morning was yet the detective so hot, which was more embarrassing. I think we just kind of both looked at each other gave each other like a mortified smile and a bit of aut uha and yeah less of the.
Speaker 2: Day, like love you, daddy, go figure that one out, detective love.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then I had his daughter for the next four years.
Speaker 4: So very awkward.
Speaker 1: That makes me feel slightly better at least mine actually is my daddy likes, not a random kid's dad. Thanks Ash, We've got Harrod on the line, Harriet. What did you accidentally call someone?
Speaker 4: I was two weeks into a new job and I got her an email from my colleagues, Bobby, asking me if I could do some training, and I replied ye, no worries. Except instead of saying hi, Bobby, I wrote hi Booby and I spent the email.
Speaker 1: They're so innocent. I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Would you rather call someone Booby or Daddy that you work? I don't know that's up to you. Carry what would you proper?
Speaker 4: I would say daddy to be honest.
Speaker 1: Did Booby respond Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I didn't know that I'd done it until she replied saying, oh, normally my friends only called me that I guess they're friends. Now, Well play my email and say, oh my god, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: My friends only call me daddy, usually not my daughter, because my girlfriends call me daddy.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, it will stop, mixed up. I hate everything, Harriet. No, like I said, Dad just gave me a thumbs up in true dad style. Worse. That's worse. Yeah, and then he just like continued on. He didn't even acknowledge the auto correct excuse I came up with.
Speaker 2: I think they should ban the thumbs up. I think they should take the emoji out. I don't think anything good.
Speaker 1: Comes from it. Yeah, it's like passive aggress passive.
Speaker 2: It's never in support, but it really is.
Speaker 1: It's like the ultimate Dad move to just send a thumbs up and be like, we're all awkward. Never do that again. Move on. You know what time of the year it is, Brittany. Unfortunately, I somehow do, but I'm not sure how I know. Okay, Well, actually we're still a little bit of time off this, and the reason why we're talking about it is because I refuse to forget again this year. So book Week, August sixteen, it starts. However, I have a bit of a gripe, and I wonder whether I'm alone in my parenting on this or whether other parents feel the same. Why is book Week a week? Why is it not book Day?
Speaker 2: Probably the most commonly asked and generally left unanswered question, Laura.
Speaker 1: No parent has time for a week. Book week?
Speaker 2: Book Day, I should say, is a brilliant idea. I love what is behind it, but I don't know how many parents that have one, two, three, four kids that need to make five costumes each per kid?
Speaker 1: Like that's too much. Well, this is the thing we're talking about last week, and Britt, like, you didn't realize this. So it's fine in schools because schools do our day, they do one day. And I absolutely am all behind it. It's so nice for kids to get excited about reading and their characters, and my kids absolutely love it. The problem is is that if you have a kid that's in preschool, every single day of that week is book Day. Is in daycare four days a week, So that's four costumes I've got to come up with. And then this year it's Maley May's first year of kindergarten, and so Bookweek is such a big deal. And now the truth is every single year, I have forgotten about book Week until the day of the morning. Yeah, and it's become like, I don't know, like maybe other parents will relate to this, but I feel like I'm the morning of book Week and I'm running around the house and I'm ripping apart the costume box and I'm trying to find a book that relates to a costume that we have. Last year, Lola went on Monday as a dinosaur and Maley went as Bell from Beauty and the Beast. We just luckily had a book about dinosaurs and we had to be in the Beast book. That's perfect. Yeah, that's too much work, guys, So have you started to prep this year. No, I've just put it in the calendar. At least it's in the calendar. But you know what your problem is.
Speaker 2: You also need to put in the calendar like two days in advance, not the day off.
Speaker 1: That doesn't help you. There's just too much going on. I'm too pregnant firstly, and we're very busy with work and I'm on the wine down, like I'm trying to prepare for the fact that we're adding another child to the equation, let alone running around doing book Week stuff. All right, it's too much. I'm picking up a bit of an energy here.
Speaker 2: Do you want me to make a costume this year?
Speaker 1: I will do that.
Speaker 2: I will make the best Auntie Brittany costume that your kids have ever seen.
Speaker 1: For book Week.
Speaker 2: I don't know if my actually a creative, but I'm enthusiastic.
Speaker 1: You are enthusiast. I've seen you with a hot glue gun and some sparkles. My girl, you can do it. I believe in you. I think after the last two years of book Week costumes that my kids have been subjected to, they'll take anything to your honor.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, why don't we do that? Why don't I make Marley May?
Speaker 1: You can do all of Lola's that sounds I'll take the other kid. What's the other one's name?
Speaker 2: For the other one, I will take Marley May because she's got one day, so I'll do that challenge.
Speaker 1: I'll go to Spotlight.
Speaker 2: Spotlight have everything you absolutely need for book Week. So they've got actually they've got pre made costumes. But I'm not going to do a premate. I'm going to make one with my bare hands.
Speaker 1: You haven't even asked what she wants yet. She might want something really complex. Oh is she very specific? She's Molly May is my specific child, and she will pick the exact book and she will know if you have not followed it to a tea. That's why she's so hard. That's why it's just easier to forget before I often to make it. Well, why don't we get Molly May in here.
Speaker 2: She can give me her requests for what she wants and we'll go from there.
Speaker 1: Sure, perfect, Molly May is going to Brittany.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that you've said this live because it means you can't take it back, so you can. Yes, I'm all back. I'm all for it. You can make a costume this year and you can be Auntie of the Year and take a load off me. I'm very proud of that. I'll do that for you.
Speaker 2: I only have a dog, so I don't have a lot of responsibility.
Speaker 1: I do dress her up. But anyway, I did see a picture of Daulilah. I mean wait, I didn't see a picture. I was there Delilah and a veil at your wedding. She really went all out. It was like Delilaho's winning. Is this okay? We'll watch this space for what I come up with later in the week.
Speaker 2: Hey, I have a bit of an update for you on well, I don't want to say a health condition, but I guess it is in a way a health condition. But I think it's a really important PSA for literally everybody listening right now. Like if you guys have been following along with me personally or the radio show or the podcast, you know, I would have spoken about it. But a few years ago, I basically like I had to burn my whole face off with this topical chemotherapy for a pre skin cancer.
Speaker 1: So I went to the doctor.
Speaker 2: About these like tiny little spots on my face, Like there were just two that I thought were funny and they wouldn't go away.
Speaker 1: One was on my lip and one was on my forehead.
Speaker 2: I'm talking like just a bit of discoloration really, but it was also quite dry, and I just thought, just weird, it's not going like I was doing all the moisturizer and whatever else. And I went to my skin doctor and I ended up going through some testing, but I got diagnosed with something called solar keratosis, which a lot of you might have heard about. It's essentially called pre skin cancer. So if left can and probably will turn into a skin cancer.
Speaker 1: How do they have any idea of how long it takes to transition or is it just one of those things where you're like, it's so some people it could be years for other people could just be like unlucky, and.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it depends how long it's been there for, so it essentially will transition, So you need to deal with it basically, And I guess this is why it's so important to get an early diagnosis before something can spread or turn into something nasty. And so the treatment for that is what I just said. It's a topical chemotherapy. So it's this, like it's so cytotoxic. You have to put gloves on, you have to specially order it, and you cover your face in it, and your whole face is like the most red, raw.
Speaker 1: Burnt scab, Like it's so painful.
Speaker 2: Your whole face just basically is being killed, I guess for want of a better word. And essentially it takes a couple of weeks, it scabs over, peels off, and the idea is the bad parts go and you regenerate with nice skin again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I remember when you did because We were on radio at the time and you were a bit like turn the cameras off, and I mean, I don't. I want to be careful with because I think even the way you explained it then could scare people away from doing it, like it was nowhere near as bad as you probably felt like it was.
Speaker 2: Well, my update is I went back for It's been two years actually, which is probably too long.
Speaker 1: It definitely is too long. I just sort of put it off.
Speaker 2: I went back on the weekend and I have to do it again, so I have two spots again, and I have to do this whole treatment again where I have to burn my face off with this chemotherapy. So I'm I mean, we joke about me saying turn the cameras off last time, but I still went to work, I still put on my socials.
Speaker 1: I wanted to advocate for it, but.
Speaker 2: I think I'm going to do it even more so this time because it's really scary and like two in three Australians are going to get skin cancer in their life.
Speaker 1: That's the stat. Yeah, the stat's so crazy. But also I mean, I feel like if you've grown up in Australia, if you spent any time out in the sun. Just remember to go and get checked, because like you can go and do your mole mapping these days, you can go in and it's the consistency because unless you know what's changed half the time, you don't actually know what's wrong. And I mean, I think I grew up really just thinking that having things burn off you was pretty normal. Like my mum, my grandpa, parents, everyone has had different skin things burn off them over the years. It's funny now looking back because it's so not normal, but it's just such a condition of being in Australia and the fact that for so long we had such a crazy tanning culture and I know some people still still subscribe to it. But we were kids of the eighties and the nineties, like we were outside hardly any sunscreen, sun baking all the time. And now it's really come out, like just how damaging that's really is for you.
Speaker 2: Part of me is like, oh my god, I can't be any to do this again, but the other part of me really wants to advocate for you to go and get a skin check. Like if this is your reminder right now, if you're in the car and you're like, oh my god, I've been putting that off for so long. Do not put it off. Go and book your appointment now. When you pull over in your car, go and call. Remember to keep an eye on everything on your body. If it's changed, if it's gotten darker or drier, if it's a regular you need to go and get a check.
Speaker 1: No, I know, Bri. And that also is like the reminder I need because it's been a couple of years since I've been. And it's one of those things where you're like, ah, I'll go what it happened to me? Yeah, yeah, well, I mean two and three probably means as the likelihood it will happen to you.
Speaker 2: Anyway, you're going to see it all play out because unfortunately we do film everything.
Speaker 1: So yeah, all right, guys, Well that is it from us today,