Speaker 1: High Heart podcasts, he more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app. Now, Britt, you might remember a few weeks back we were speaking about there's kind of been this real change and shift in perceptions around letting your kids sleep over at people's houses. And there's a debate that's been happening online as to whether, firstly, what is the right age, and as to whether it's the right thing for your kids' safety to let them sleep over at friends' houses. And it's an interesting one because we talked about it, it blew up on socials. I don't know how I feel about it as a mum to two little girls, because I have seen some truly harrowing stories that have been shared on social media about horrible things that have happened on sleepovers. But I also know that it's kind of like a rite of passage for kids, and we all did it as kids, and it's some of the best memories, even though you come back tired and no one slept, and like you know, also has its downside.
Speaker 2: You know what, I the only thing I'll quickly had to this before because I know it's serious. But my best friend reminded me on the weekend. We've been best friends for thirty years and we used to say each other's house all the time. She's like, remember how every time we'd have a sleepover, you'd only come if you liked what we had for dinner.
Speaker 1: Like I used to say what I'm eating?
Speaker 2: She's like, want to save tonight? And I was like, what's for dinner? I was like eight? She told me, if I did like it, I wouldn't go.
Speaker 1: I like that you had strong boundaries even as an eight year old, Did I knew what I wanted?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Look, it really did blow up on socials. So many people were discussing the fore and against it. There's a lot of families who are kind of taking the route now of not letting their kids go to sleepovers. But then there's also people who think that maybe we're wrapping our kids too much in cotton wool. Someone who did slide into our DMS is Genevieve Mua now jen Is. She's an Obstretix social worker and she also has the business connected parenting, and it was really nice to chat to someone who actually has insight into this. Not only does she have four boys herself, but she's helped a lot of parents across the country manage. What is a great way of finding a middle ground in this, Jen, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me go.
Speaker 2: Jen, I'm assuming the middle ground isn't asking what they've got for dinner.
Speaker 3: I love that though. That is brilliant. I'm asking that next, so I get asked on the sleepover for sure?
Speaker 1: Do you think that it's not something that parents should be particularly concerned about or do you feel as though that maybe there has been I guess a bit of fear mungering happening online and on social media at the moment around this whole sleepover debate.
Speaker 3: I think it's hard to be a parent in general. These days. We have so much information about what's good for kids and what is a risk for kids. Yeah, from everything from how we should be feeding them, how we keep them safe, how we educate them. There's so much pressure. One of the things that I think is a good thing, right is there's been a massive social change in our understanding of what the risk to kids are and we now know that when it comes to those risks or when things happen to kids that we would like to protect them from ninety percent of the time that happens at the hands of someone we know and trust. Now that's why the sleepover thing has become an issue. Now think that to the old days where we thought the risk was strangers totally and that's what we want kids about, and we now know how we had that wrong. So I love that parents have access to the right information now about how to protect their kids. You know, we could say that's no sleepovers ever, but we let our kids go online where so many similar tricky things can happen online. Right, So what we really want to do is start to have a sense of, well, who is my kid, where are they going? So how well do I know that family? In terms of my kids, I'm looking for certain levels of skill. Is my child at an age where they absolutely know they could come to me if they felt uncomfortable, they got asked to go home, could they communicate that if they needed to? If my child has those skills, if I have someone in my life where I really trust and I've known them for a while, then that's a really different thing than if they don't have those skills.
Speaker 1: But I guess it's not particularly an age thing then is it? Because kids all develop a different ages and phases, you know. I would say that some kids had those communication skills earlier than others.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And with my four boys, there was one that I was a lot later in letting him go for his first sleepover, simply because he actually had a delay with his speech. He was not a kid that would speak up. He was really kind of quiet by nature, really struggled to put his hand up in class and say what he needed. I wasn't going to send him off because he'd never be able to speak up. So it's kind of about looking at who we've got, but also who we've got in our lives, and I want to kind of acknowledge they'd be single parents that do not have an option if they're doing shipwork, then to have sometimes the village step in and support them. We might have great relatives and grandparents. We might have really close family friends that we've known and we intimately know really well. So I think it's also about every situation is different, but it's sort of knowing who we've got. But the final thing that we can all do from a really young age, and that is really talk openly and honestly to your kids about a couple of key things. One is you know the normal names of body parts, and kind of making sure we have open and honest conversations about those things, Teaching our kids things like you don't have to hug your uncle if you don't want to, you can give them a high five. So that's body autonomy and having a sense of that stuff from a really young age. And the final thing, and I think this matters more than anything else, there is nothing you could ever do or say that would make me love you less. There's nothing you can't tell me I will always believe you. And that one you have to keep saying from the beginning all the way through. You know, at sixteen, we're still saying the same thing. You're going out tonight. There is nothing that could happen or that you could do where you can't call me and I wouldn't be there on your side to help you.
Speaker 1: Jen out of curiosity, how old were your kids when you let them sleep over at people's houses?
Speaker 3: So look really different ages depending on the child. But like I think if we were to say like a good age in general, I think it's probably somewhere upwards of maybe eight ish, Like it's somewhere around there that I think depending on the child, and again, kids are going to be so different. For one of my kids, he was that little bit older. He just wasn't ready. And for some kids that might be younger, it might be from six that you have a good friend and there's a really great thing going on. I know there's been some guidelines put out by the government where they're saying from about eleven. I think that's quite old myself, because most kids will go on their first school camp at around eleven, and I kind of think some experience in a way that is safe is probably good for kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you don't think about that too. I remember going on the school camp Lucky. My mum never really let us stay at people's houses, but they always say to ours, so I was kind of used to the sleepover environment everywhere I sh out, I didn't know your mum also had four kids, and she was like, just get one of them out of the house.
Speaker 3: That we kids were.
Speaker 2: All working, they were like, find a friend today, just sank someone else.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much, Jen, thanks for joining the show.
Speaker 3: Absolute pleasure. Guys,