Speaker 1: Lead on Flex and Frooms. Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you or how many Instagram accounts you've made in your time, but what happens when you're done using them? Where is the Instagram graveyard? Do you just let one sit there? Or can someone else come and claim them? This is the question we are asking today. Am I the asshof for refusing to give my brother's girlfriend my Instagram account with thirty thousand followers that I abandon fear not Flex and Rooms will help? So, I, twenty eight female seems relevant to know have an Instagram account that I used to post my artwork on. I managed to get a little over thirty five k followers at one point, but it has since dropped down to thirty k as it has been inactive for some time. A little over three years ago, lost interest in it and stopped using it. She has about six thousand followers, but since finding out about my account, she's begged to take it over, saying if I'm not going to use it anymore, that I might as well give it to.
Speaker 3: Someone who will.
Speaker 2: I told her that I don't want to hand over in case I want to use it again, and she called me selfish and demanded that I give it to her. It's created a rift between me and my brother, as she's told him that if he can't convince me to hand over to her, that he has to choose between the two of us.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is creative writing. This isn't creative writing.
Speaker 2: Is it petty that I don't want to or should I just settle the beef and give it to her?
Speaker 3: Wow? These are twenty twenty three problems.
Speaker 2: Let it be known. In the eighties they weren't asking these questions. They definitely weren't asking them in the naughties either. These are These are modern problems that require modern solutions from modern women.
Speaker 1: Listen. I have an account that I made for Anthony Alberanese's dog, Toto Albanesi, and I probably got like two and a half thousand followers. Yeah, and I've considered selling it, not selling it, but like bequeathing it to somebody who wanted to create an online audience, but to continue, no, to create a different thing. But then I thought, these people that want Toto's dog don't want your product, and you don't want to start off on the bad foot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say there's no value in the number if you didn't curate the audience yourself realistically, Like when like, how many followers did you have when you started getting cool opportunities when you were able to, like, you know.
Speaker 1: Work at cool places, get cool gigs.
Speaker 2: Because I know that when I started working at corporation that must not be named music television company, probably five thousand followers, right, Like, I don't think I had that kind of come up where it was like the audience was here and then I got stuff. And so in this day and age where like the number isn't indicative of how good of an influencer you are a content creator, This guy who's already started her account, it's better off keeping that one because people who are there are following you for you. You go start this new account that hasn't been active in three years with thirty thousand followers that are steadily declining, it's just not worth it. I do think it's a strange dynamic that it's your brother's sorry, it's your boyfriend's sister that is like insistent that you give this to her. I don't know what kind of relationship you have.
Speaker 1: The boundaries are not boundaries.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 2: It's so strange, and it's odd that it's causing a rift between you and your boyfriend because now you both seem petty. Like he's probably like, oh my goodness, this is just weird. The girlfriend is making weird between you two. And then you have to be like, I'm not giving you this thing that I built for my art like you. I can imagine that she would feel so like petty having to say those words.
Speaker 1: It's just bizarre. I think it's made up.
Speaker 2: But if it is real, that didn't cross my mind until a couple of days ago when you said some people just make them up.
Speaker 1: I'm like, people make stuff up. I can imagine people and read it being like, Oh I'm bored. I'm gonna make something up. Get some responses, get some engagement, speak to someone, stop my loneliness, cure mind.
Speaker 3: So you think it's one of those things.
Speaker 1: One of those ones, but I will say, keep you six K micro influencer is a real thing. Yeah, and just be yourself. Really, Cata Flex and Fromes.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Flex and firms.
Speaker 4: What the frick?
Speaker 2: I have a million dollar business idea. It's my fourth one this week and I thought, why don't I just share it? You know, it can be my one good deed of philanthropy. Today, influencer PR package waste. When I scroll through my feeds, I'm seeing a trend.
Speaker 3: Over Covid.
Speaker 2: There was this huge conversation when I say covid, I'm in lockdown. It's huge conversation around the sheer, just the sheer amount of waste that comes with the influencer lifestyle. Not just the waste, the gluttony degree. He's getting sent stuff every day. They're coming in these big, obnoxious packages. It's more product. It's more product than you could ever use in your lifetime. Every single week, four different brands sending you a perfume, every single week, four different condiment companies sending you sauce. By the time you get to it, it's expired. And so there was a trend of people saying, you know what, I don't want to receive any PR at all. But what happens when a bunch of brands are relying on influencer marketing to get their brands known, They're not going to stop sending you stuff. You can say no, but it will arrive at your house and you will have to deal with passing it on to somebody else or just you know, stockpiling waste.
Speaker 3: So then I was thinking, okay, noted.
Speaker 2: Now are coming out of lockdown, out of COVID in question in what are those quotation marks? Quotation marks bunny rabbits. And now I'm seeing.
Speaker 3: The holes come back.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing people to halls, clothing halls, beauty halls, food halls. I mean that's grocery shopping, but just like amassing stuff again. And so the conversation is starting. We have so much waste, so much waste. Who is going to start a business to get those influce luance to send out and disseminate it back to.
Speaker 3: People who might need it.
Speaker 2: Because people often say, send it to a homeless shelter. I'm so sorry they don't want my foundation. You know what I'm saying. Everyone's like, okay, send it to you, a women's college, send it to this, send it to that. These are all fantastic ideas. And I could guarantee there's maybe I don't know, three hundred thousand influences in Australia right now who have an excess of stuff that could be going to somebody true.
Speaker 1: Needs it three hundred thousand influences, A.
Speaker 2: Lot of influences, not all of them are good. There's a lot of micro influencers. And I'm not just talking about traditional Like, hey everyone, you know musicians, you know, athletes, authors, they're all considered. They're all getting stuff that they don't need and don't know what to do with them. So who can now gather this stuff and get it to the hands of people who need them, almost like a reduced reuse recycle vibe. Someone needs to do it because the problem isn't going anywhere. And I think what we're gonna have is like cyclical think pieces about how there's so much waste. It's like telling companies, like, if companies really cared that their efforts were like destroying the planet, they would have stopped by now. So they're gonna keep sending their stuff. And what happens is by the time we get to the influence the influencer, it's their responsibility, right, it's your waste that you have to deal with. So now you are here trying to recycle these ridiculous pr packages and like, get this makeup to somebody else's roadic spies. It's just really silly you need another third parties like, don't worry, babes, give it to me, I'll sort it out.
Speaker 1: I guess the danger there is what if you have naughty influences who spike it with poison. Like once a brand sends something out and it's opened, what do you do with it? It's very hard to keep away from giving in to a friend.
Speaker 3: What if you're not opening it? What if it's closed? What if it choose?
Speaker 1: You send them my way, FLEXI money, send them my bloody way.
Speaker 2: You're get in the way of someone's million dollar business idea, Babe. All I'm saying is like that would be a real that's a real problem that needs solving asap, not one of these like we made a new attachment for something some thing.
Speaker 1: Do you still get sense stuff? Every day?
Speaker 2: Every day, every single day, constantly I'm like, no, thank you, I don't want anything, no thank you, and they say oh no no.
Speaker 1: Like it's on us, like no excitations of posts.
Speaker 3: I said no.
Speaker 2: And what's worse is when you say no and you get things that were never gonna work, like I under staining if someone's like, I know you.
Speaker 3: Would really like this, but you just don't want it.
Speaker 2: Right, but if you're selling me closer to too small shoes, that would I can't wear food that I can't eat, like what do you call it? Like perishable foods? And I'm not at my it's just like it's excessive. But I just like do red herrings and now I just don't respond.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a bit of that.
Speaker 3: You just move house and then it just goes to the old house.
Speaker 1: I can't even imagine the stuff that's going to your old houses. The real goal is to try and move into a house that an influencer used to live in.
Speaker 2: I met someone who moved into my old house. They found me on Instagram.
Speaker 1: I recognize that.
Speaker 2: I said, okay, oh, okay, bet bet bet, it is what it is, though, that one's for free. You're welcome, Flex and frooms, Flex and froomes cater, never miss a beat.
Speaker 1: I got sent this message on Instagram and it is from a woman. I'll read it to you, she goes. When I was a kid, I memorize the automated phone call you received from the library when a book was ready for collection, and overtime perfected the automated robot voice, so my services are read a disposal. I didn't ask this, but I got it, and it's one of my favorite messages I've ever gone. Listen to this. I think even if you never got one of these causes a kid or you don't remember it, it's still a valance. I don't know her name is Sarah.
Speaker 4: Hello. This is a message from the Geelong Regional Library Corporation for Sarah Fuzia. We are calling to let you know that an item reserved by you is now ready for collection. Items will be held for seven days. You will need your membership card to collect your items. Thank you, goodbye.
Speaker 1: Ha Is that not the best robot voice ever? Don't I'm sorry to say by Don't you dare?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry to say. Do you know what?
Speaker 2: If I knew what that was, I feel like I'd be like that was spot on. But it just sounds like a girl mimicking a robot.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: The oh, the intonation, the.
Speaker 1: Intonation, the words like the intonation cannot be taught lived. I just thought that was so impressive. I thought I hadn't heard like it was so deeply Australian in terms of the intonation and the the voice itself is like a voice that I've heard before that isn't. It's like Australian robot. It's a certain dialect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just Australian automation call.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that, Sarah. That made my day. I've got it when I was walking through Westfield in the city giggling.
Speaker 3: Yeah I can.
Speaker 2: I can imagine that warmed your heart, it did. That's very firms call.
Speaker 1: Yeah anyway, So thanks Sarah. If anyone else has like voice notes imitating things, I find it very interesting. I'm pretty good at doing accents.
Speaker 3: That's her.
Speaker 1: A man names Frims. I live in the jungle. No, I live in the swamp anyway. I need Yeah, that's okay, walk it off, walk it off, it off, flex and frooms they're the best. What did you I was on the bus the other day. I know, pretty princesses get the bus. I've been watching a lot of Sex in the City and Carrie says she never takes public transport. That's kind of rubbing off on me. No, she won't take the subwaycently takes cabs. Carbon footprint doesn't exist in Sex and the City early two thousands. I've learned.
Speaker 3: Are you enjoying it?
Speaker 1: I am obsessed? Does it still?
Speaker 2: Are you having to like suspend your disbelief and say like that was a show made in that time, So like I'm just gonna like enjoy it for what it is. Or you using like your twenty twenty three brain to watch that show bit of boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fashion wise, I'm using my twenty twenty three brain. It's quite modern like in some ways. In other ways it's like it's very I think it's very aware of what it is, like a self.
Speaker 3: Aware show, self aware like girls, you'll say that.
Speaker 1: Anyway. I was on the bus the other day, the three three three going to the city, okay, and it's a very busy bus. It's one of those buses that has the curvy bit in the middle because it's so large, and I always choose the spot free from the back on the right side.
Speaker 3: That far up the back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want the bit where like so at the back of the bus there's like a hump where the wheel is and I want to sit behind and we also can put my feet up a little bit, a bit of elevation. Anyway, I did the same one on the school bus that I take every day, same seat muscle memory he took every day. Yeah, Yeah, I took a bus to school.
Speaker 3: I believe you. I didn't have a driver. I took a bus chauffeur.
Speaker 1: And anyway, the bus was filling up. I get on the first stop. The bus is filling up and there's a person on every single seat. So now the people coming and choosing to who to sit next to. What do I get I'm the first person to be chosen to sat next to.
Speaker 3: What is that happening?
Speaker 1: It means I'm a nice person. It means that I have a friendly disposition. I look clean, I look as though I don't smell. Definitely there's a bit of a smell emitting from this T shirt right now, But yeah, that's okay, But it's like nice. I think if you were attracted to me, you'd find it a pleasant smell. But anyway, get on the bus in the morning, someone sitting next to me, and I thought, that is a good marker of me being a friendly looking person. The resting bee face was nowhere to be seen, and I just think, yeah, do you want to be the person in life you think about who you want to be? Do you want to be someone in life that gets sat next to on the bus. Because as annoying it as it is it means you're nice.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to The flexen Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 1: For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.