Speaker 1: Plead on Flex and Frooms. Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, It's time for Flexi's Big Question of the Week.
Speaker 3: We have had a week of Flexi's Big Questions.
Speaker 1: We do them weekly.
Speaker 3: It goes off basically, I pose a question that gets you to think deeply about who you are, why you are that way, what you think and why you think it, and also who is influencing the way that you think. The most recent question I pose was what's the misconception that people make about you that you use to your advantage? And the reason why I asked that is because a lot of times we can feel a bit hard done by by the way that we're perceived by others, But I think there are a few gaps in that that actually work to our favor. So I asked you to respond via the little box on our Instagram story. A bunch of you did. I'm We're going through and read some of the not the best answers, just some of the answers. Brooks says, Uni everyone thought I was dumb, felt bad, and gave me their materials.
Speaker 1: I got honors. I love that. Kraud says that I'm a scary, mean girl.
Speaker 3: I'm just a serious, resting heat face, and that means people leave me alone. BB says that I'm quiet, but I'm taking in data points and observations of my surroundings. Lenn says that I'm white and just really tanned, but I'm half Kenyans white privilege. Ashley says people see who I'm younger than I am. People ask for my mom if they come to my house, but realistically, I'm a mum of two.
Speaker 1: I can't relate. I love that.
Speaker 3: Lana says that I'm rude and antisocial. I'm actually really friendly, but I like it. I could just keep that to myself. This person who doesn't have a name here says people always perceive me to not know things. If there's tea, I played dumb to hear it from all sides. Ooh, I love that. Thank you for submitting. And to everyone who I didn't read out, I'm reading it in the flesh. I have it on my phone.
Speaker 1: I see it.
Speaker 3: But we're giving a limit of time on air, so must do with that what we will talk to us? Miss Reena, what is a misconception people have about you that you used to your advantage.
Speaker 4: Oh, oh that I have music taste.
Speaker 1: The story is going to come out one time I told this story yet on it. Oh you you've You've told it.
Speaker 3: When you're pretending to be someone else, just know every now and then, when Frem.
Speaker 1: Tells stories, they're actually her.
Speaker 3: And depending on how Mickey and I respond or don't respond, you will know.
Speaker 1: That we don't want to be caught up gonna lie. There will be saying, oh.
Speaker 5: My god, what's a misconception that I'm working class? Yeah, a few months of me perhaps was playing, but I think people people think I'm a private school girl. Once they dropped the receipts of me going to the same was Jermaine private school girl, there was no denying that tuition money had been spent.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting thing I think a lot of people have about how we all grew up. Like when I say I'm from Sydney's East, everyone thinks.
Speaker 1: I was super rich. But I did live in Housing Commission, so it wasn't there.
Speaker 3: You know, it was a house, but it's still Housing Commission a house in They had to come by to come by, And I would much rather if people think that I was privileged and bougie.
Speaker 1: Than the old turner because I hate a sub story. I really do.
Speaker 3: No offense everyone, damn. I don't like the way sub stories are weaponized. I think that people are really intentional with what they share and how they share it, and I think that we don't have a culture of being open and vulnerable and communicative naturally. So when people muster up this really concise narrative in all the ways that they've been hard done by expecting a very specific response from the person they're telling it too, more is like, Okay, enjoy your storytelling.
Speaker 1: It's always good to practice.
Speaker 4: That would be mine, But I'm coming to terms with it being rich.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we all have our personal shruggles, and it's about time that somebody really held space for theives, because it's come to a point where even the richest among us don't feel safe to express themselves and like through me and like Victoria Beckham. You know, people say, oh, Victoria Beckham didn't come from a working class family because she was driven to school every day in a Rolls Royce. But to that, I say, on behalf of frugh me that there are different struggles.
Speaker 1: There are different struggles, guys.
Speaker 5: Some of them internal others. You know, my dad did drive me to school in various different cars. Sometimes it was a truck, other times it was a rolls voice quite literally, like actually, quite literally.
Speaker 1: You're funny. This is great, FLEXI, you're one first quickly, Miki.
Speaker 2: I did think about this, Yeah, bag, I am not good at replying to people, and I think people have like, oh okay, this's are good at texting, but I see all the message.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Just don't want to everyone.
Speaker 1: Do you have one?
Speaker 4: Flex?
Speaker 3: I think people feel like things come really easily to me, and that like I can like just sharp places and like things work in my favor and even if they're really hard.
Speaker 1: I'd much rather think that people think that much rather. I like the thought of.
Speaker 3: Coming out and being like this was really difficult for me, and I found that really challenging. Like if I'm stabbing a knife in my own gut, you can't do that. I would much rather just be like, oh my god, yeah, like whatever you say, if it was easier. So I felt this from the beginning, like even before media stuff. Choosing your audience right, Like my mom used to give me this. I don't know if it's a lecture. I don't know it's a lecture is not the right word. But she used to like give me this same kind of nuggets of truth constantly, and so I have all of them and every time I call.
Speaker 1: Her, she's so wise.
Speaker 3: But she was saying, you have to be careful because people naturally don't recognize their own individual power, right, Like, we all have so much power to influence and affect somebody else's life, and we don't feel responsible for that. So if through me talks to me one day and I make a comment about the way you look and I make you feel really insecure, I don't feel accountable for that. But like that's a lot of power to have over a person. So she says, you need to be really careful about how you Number One, give people an opportunity to speak.
Speaker 1: Into your life.
Speaker 3: So if you're constantly talking to your friends and inviting them to create extra narratives around why you can't be something, or why you can't go somewhere or you can't do something, they'll become really real. Because it's one thing for you to reinforce them in your mind, but to let everybody else start to reinforce.
Speaker 1: It for you, it's a very powerful thing to do.
Speaker 3: And so the other thing is like be wary of the context you give up to now feed into your life. So, for example, if someone's looking at me and they're like, she has everything so easy, that's a beautiful thing to experience. Like to truly believe that someone is experiencing ease, that is so sexy. So if that's the worst thing that someone can like impart onto me that she doesn't try and it's so easy, I'm going to take that. But if I counteract the narrative and I say everything is so hard and it's so difficult and I'm struggling and la la la la, and then people validate that narrative, it reinforces that narrative and like almost like fuels flame to it. So it's like being mindful about how you challenge people's perceptions of you and the power you give them to do. So that's why I was getting funny and like stop telling people about this big forehead thing, because number one, it's not true, but number two, it's giving people this like setting this environment and license wheveryone's like why I can comment on you generally if it's something that I haven't noticed before, Why don't I eliminate something else I've noticed about you, And I'm like, I don't, like you've always you.
Speaker 5: Taught me that, like, be careful what you say about yourself because then people give permission to say it too, and we see it.
Speaker 1: Happen all the time. Oh my, it's treacher it's a scary.
Speaker 3: Well anyway, loving you and leaving you.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast. For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.