Speaker 1: Good day. This is Peter. Hell, are you welcome to You ain't seen nothing yet?
Speaker 2: The Movie Podcast where our chat to a movie lover or lovers about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guests a trio, the Fantastic, the Powerhouse that is Sushi Mango.
Speaker 3: Do you any think you have a chance against us?
Speaker 4: Mister cowboy, open the pod bay doors.
Speaker 5: Hell, I'll have what she's having happening right, You ain't seen nothing yet.
Speaker 2: If you haven't heard of Sushi Mango, you obviously haven't got much of an online presence. Brothers Joe and carlos Selnitri and best mate Andrew Manfree are official comedy juggernauts, gaining popularity when a sketch of theirs called in Tayans Versus Greeks when viral on Facebook in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: They haven't looked back.
Speaker 2: Their first show, Walgs at Work, was a huge hit that led the star Walks with the support and actually featuring at nick Ganopolis. Their latest show, though, off the Boat, is going absolutely nuts. The boys are playing not theaters but stadiums. That's right, stadiums in Melbourne. They literally played Rod Labor Arena. That's where the Bloody as Straight and Open is. That's where Pink plays like ten shows and they played more than one, and they've played three or.
Speaker 1: Four sold out Rod Labor Arena is amazing now.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if anyone has sold more live pickers across Australia over the last year than Sushi Mango. On Instagram and YouTube, they are killing it with their sketches, gaining millions and millions of streams. Their audience is worldwide and they are loving what the lads are putting out. Their Saucy Meatball podcast is also great fun. I was honored to be a recent guest during Lockdown when everybody needed a laugh, the boys delivered once again. Their online sketches, both under the Sushi Mango account and their individual accounts, were freaking hilarious. I must say I sought them just to have a laugh through those weird old days.
Speaker 1: They took the.
Speaker 2: Piss out of what was an extraordinary period of time in a way that was always hilarious and pointed, but never calling for anarchy. Sushi Mango are all about the laughs. They love making each other laugh. You can tell they do and now they are making millions laugh along with them. I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with Joe, Carlo and Andrew Sushi Mango today.
Speaker 6: Hey guys, were Sushi Mango And I'm Joe and my favorite movie is Greece.
Speaker 1: What's up, my Star?
Speaker 3: I'm Carlo and my favorite movie is Rocky And.
Speaker 4: To all the Rockies in the world, I love you.
Speaker 7: I'm Andrew and my favorite movie is The Devil's Advocate.
Speaker 3: I only sat the stage.
Speaker 1: You pull your own strength.
Speaker 6: But up until this week, we've never seen Napoleon Dynamite.
Speaker 8: So what are you getting next?
Speaker 4: Stand Brian, I.
Speaker 9: Don't feel like I want to do.
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 2: The world is all too much with a superbly named high school of the Napoleon Dynamite played by John Peter Avlona from a small town in Idaho, who spends his time drawing hybrid animals and feeding his lama Tina when he is not lying about having a girlfriend or finding wolverines in Alaska. Director writer Jared Hess adapts his own short film into one of the most unique and idiosyncratic comedies of the last twenty years, filled with eccentric characters and largely dissolutional characters mind You from Brother Kip player Aaron Ruhl, who spends his time in chat rooms with his mystery girlfriend. Uncle Rico played by John Grees, who builds a time machine so he can relive his glory days as a college quarterback. Pedro E friend Ramarez, who a new student who launches a presidential campaign, who is really good with chicks and has a sweet bike. Napoleon Dynamite has an undeniable sweetness and he is not shy in prioritizing laughs. Oh and it also has an incredible dance sequence, Sushi Mango. Do you guys bring your chapsticks?
Speaker 6: See, I can finally understand what that means now. I never I never used to understand what the chapstick was all about this, but I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I left it at home.
Speaker 2: Guys, it is this is a historic You ain't seen nothing yet. This is the first time we've had more than one guest discussing one one movie. So I'm excited. I'm nervous, but go anywhere.
Speaker 1: So I've done you.
Speaker 2: I've been a pleasure to be on your podcast, The Saucy meat Ball Podcast, and you had biscotti for me and all that, I apologize, there's not much of a spread.
Speaker 3: We've got tapwater here.
Speaker 2: Tapwater is lovely and it's clear, and it's a little bit murky, but that's fine.
Speaker 1: This must have been hard because most people have chat too.
Speaker 2: It's one person and they can often know exactly what movie, two or three movies they haven't seen they feel like they should have.
Speaker 1: How did you.
Speaker 2: Guys come to being three of you? What did the committee look like deciding that Napoleon Dynamite you hadn't all seen?
Speaker 6: Well, we thought, being that we're in comedy, yeah, we should go with a comedy movie. And it's very there's minimal amount of movies that we haven't seen in a comedy.
Speaker 3: There was a few on the list. There was another one, which.
Speaker 1: Is Steve Martin one the Jerk, The Jerk.
Speaker 6: I always wanted to see this movie. I don't know why I hadn't seen it. Yeah, So I was like, guys, what do you reckon? They're like, yeah, I haven't seen it either, Let's do it.
Speaker 2: I've told a few people I've got Sushi Mango coming in and they go, oh, they're doing good fellas. It's like, Sushi Mango haven't seen good Fellas. If they haven't, I'm pretty sure they're not going to put it out there into the world.
Speaker 6: And that slightly typecasting, no, but you know what, we were looking over those ones, like there's ones on the list like The Godfather and and you know, good Fellas and Rocky and stuff like that. And I really just I actually watched those movies just because.
Speaker 3: You know, I saw them on the list. Anyway, I've seen them four thousand times.
Speaker 6: I kept on, I kept on going, let's do Good Fellows, or let's do the guy in the colors, going, Man, that's what we haven't seen or haven't seen.
Speaker 3: Come on, I would have believe that, Yeah, is.
Speaker 2: There a movie that you haven't seen that your audience actually would be shocked that you haven't seen?
Speaker 1: Is there something you know? I imagine you've seen all the good godfri.
Speaker 3: We've seen all the Godfathers.
Speaker 6: We've seen all the Good Fellows, I mean, all the everything with an Italian a knife and a gun.
Speaker 3: We've seen.
Speaker 1: Cinema Paradise. So have you all seen Cinema paradi I.
Speaker 3: Have seen that. Actually, have you guys seen that?
Speaker 1: That's getting more into the art house, that's I.
Speaker 3: Actually saw that is, anyone does someone get killed in that?
Speaker 1: Or no? No, no, So you haven't seen it?
Speaker 6: Omen been going and seeing talking That film reminds me of the movie Happiness. Have you ever seen that?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 2: The only thing I see when I think of that movie is basically is Ejaculine on the wall sipping off the rail.
Speaker 1: It's not often you hear that, Jahy, I'm going.
Speaker 6: To find more often, just as many proteins and.
Speaker 3: Turned it down those.
Speaker 1: How did you guys watch this? Watch it separately? Watch it together?
Speaker 3: We watched it separately. Yeah, we're in the same.
Speaker 1: And have you discussed amongst yourself.
Speaker 2: I don't want to hear what your thought about just yet, but have you discussed amongst yourselves what you thought about?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were so we we discussed that via WhatsApp.
Speaker 1: What'spp?
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, so there's been some discussion. That's it's it's exciting.
Speaker 1: Okay. Let's talk about your three favorite films.
Speaker 2: We discussed Rocky on the last episode of the season with Claire Bowditch, who had a really amazing reaction to this movie.
Speaker 1: Color. You told me that you actually heard that episode and you're quite proud.
Speaker 6: I was almost cried, I'm I'm an insane fan of this.
Speaker 3: I'm huge. It's it's it's really unnatural how much I am I adore him.
Speaker 6: But no, because in life there's you know, you usually love your parents, your wife, and your kids.
Speaker 3: Color loves rock Rocky. Then no, but that it was good to hear.
Speaker 6: Her take on it, and how much she how much more she respected stallone after watching the movie and respected the movie.
Speaker 3: She just thought it was all muscle and brawn and saw through that.
Speaker 2: And and I can understand it you haven't seen Rocky because it becomes Rocky two and Rocky three, you know, like it becomes this massive franchise. You can understand that people have maybe no idea how good that movie is if you've just been hearing about it from afar one.
Speaker 6: Hundred percent, Like it's it's one of those movies that a lot of the little grabs you get er or punches and blood and you know, lifting things and running up steps and stuff like that, or a guy talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, became a parody, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of that, But the first one is really it is. It's it's art. Yeah, I say, it's a metaphor for life. I've learned everything from it. That's how that's how deep I get. Well, the thing is, it's.
Speaker 1: Going to bit far from me, you know, don't get me started off.
Speaker 6: Andrew looks like an idiot, Andrew and I, Andrew and I are noticed in Rocky twenty seven. Well, they get they get a little they get a little bit more muscle than sports filmy wpcorn towards the second and towards the eighteenth.
Speaker 7: Movie, Rocket was a work of art. The first one.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 6: That's because it was linked back to the first. You know, there's a lot of elements of the first thing.
Speaker 2: I will say, I still think most of the films are good film, Like they stand up as pieces of entertainment. Yeah, they're just not They're not just gretty and as as it's almost Rockie is almost an arthouse flip. Yeah, and it's it's when you watch it, you're surprised how little boxing there actually isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're right, you know, it's a love story really well at the core of it all, I think when he had they had no money in the first one, So like there's a scene in it when he is running doing it's a running monta, the training montage, and then they say this big ship and the story is is that when they were running on the docks, the ship was behind him and he just started. They just had a camera on the side of a van and they said get out and run, and it's one of the best shots.
Speaker 3: To run through the market.
Speaker 6: That's really that person throwing the iron orange. Yeah, that was just a random person and they left it in so they're all sawing them now because they didn't, but.
Speaker 2: Would have meant that Roy died to get killed, that's what. But yeah, a lot of gorilla shots. Was actually one of the first jeadycam movies that they used that he came on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that famous, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Believe it was. Was it the first?
Speaker 1: Made me the actually was the actual first. Yeah, where they use.
Speaker 3: That that that camera Steady can.
Speaker 1: Well, Rocky's a great choice, Joe. Let's talk about Greece.
Speaker 6: Look, it's it's that that movie that I saw as a child, and it's just stuck that. This one's just stuck with me for life. You know, I still watch it now. I know it word for word. I don't like it when anyone else plays Danny Zuko Craig McLoughlin tries to do it back in fucking whenever and that just upset me too much.
Speaker 1: But when he did a stage show, yeah I saw him in London.
Speaker 3: Did a great job.
Speaker 1: You did a good job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have gotten an Italian guy.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure any sense would they. Craig McLoughlin's getting that role for many reasons.
Speaker 3: It's like me playing thor you know.
Speaker 1: Let's not count that out yet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, true, No, it's it just stuck me forever, and I just I just love it. I just love the whole you know, the whole school the whole cool tea birds vibe, the whole sixties vibe.
Speaker 2: Did to make you fall in love a little bit with America like that American kind of Yeah, it was not the first high school movies, absolutely, and that whole thing of you know that wearing a jacket and being the gang gangs, you.
Speaker 6: Know, and you know cool, you know, like because back back in those days when when I was growing up, it was Danny Zuko and the Fonds, you know what I mean, And that was the essential cool, which I don't know if I say this now, I'm going to get canceled. If I say this, but it was cool and and the music man, yeah, I love music, so that all that music and all that stuff. I mean still that song you're the one that I want that baseline and it's just the best baseline you can. You can't sit down without moving to it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Grease Lightning is amazing at all, Like the app songs are brilliant, but also some of.
Speaker 1: The ballads was devoted to you and r I pu it's only recently passed away.
Speaker 2: They recorded that, so she had that wasn't in any original script, so they they Olivin and John had in a contract that she needed to have a solo song and just said, no, you're getting this solo song. So they they they I think they manager actually found this song or founded writer to write and they had to organize that whole sequence that the Pajama Party Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, which is one of the most famous.
Speaker 3: Sequences the whole film, That whole such.
Speaker 2: Just that song, but it's just what's going on. It's absolutely twink twinkie.
Speaker 3: I remember that.
Speaker 2: That was when I first heard the term condom. You when the condom b yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, So in my mind I thought condom must be it must be like a hard thing. So I thought it was like econdom had like a hard shell.
Speaker 3: You're spot on.
Speaker 6: So I had no idea, Like when I was a kid watching that, I had no idea saying, what was a condom?
Speaker 3: What's he using? What's he got in his hand?
Speaker 1: Broke it?
Speaker 3: Broke?
Speaker 1: What broke?
Speaker 3: You kind of heard a noise like a I bought it?
Speaker 6: And then and then Nikki says, I bought it in the seventh grade.
Speaker 1: You think he was my favorite for some reason.
Speaker 2: I love it, I mean, and then the older got I thought, my daddy's the cool one, Danny's the cool one, but they we're both cool.
Speaker 6: I likes a bit more violent, yes, violent, but I also love it. I also love the three boys, you know, like Sunny, Duty and Putts, because they were just done with a comic.
Speaker 3: Relief in the movie. Yeah, exactly exactly. That's who we are.
Speaker 6: That's who we are. We could play that role still now. So if anyone's putting grease on any Broadway, give us.
Speaker 7: A call and understand how it is. He just said grease, and you you rattled off the scenes that went, how.
Speaker 2: Did you know, Well, I've said this something, and we covered Grease on this podcast with Mark Humphreys episode and he so I did a little bit of research for that. But also I've seen Greece, like Star Wars is one of the film I've seen more than any other film, which.
Speaker 1: One though the original Star Original.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my favorite films are Godfather films. But you can't watch Godfather, I think, as many times as you want.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 6: For some reason you can't. But you can always play out every couple of years. It's one of those couple.
Speaker 3: Of years ones.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, so I I did that, but I reckon after Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Grease is probably the next movie I was. Really any other movie you have the same reaction.
Speaker 3: I just loved it. It's up there for me too.
Speaker 6: It's one of those ones that you would put in, you know, like the tape when you had a day off on a Saturday afternoon or something.
Speaker 7: Back in the day, they used to play it every every two and a half month.
Speaker 6: Anyway, my auntie had it on video and we obviously stayed our grandma's.
Speaker 3: There was no child here when we will brow so we used to watch that.
Speaker 6: My grandma has had one on this house and it just stuck with me forever. But like we're saying, there's things in that movie when we were kids, the condom, the the when when Danny's singing Sandy and the bread jumps in.
Speaker 3: The behind him.
Speaker 6: Is all those little bread the sausage jumps in the bread when when when you know, when when the Sandy was vomiting just before she sings that song. You know, I didn't realize that she was drunk or you know, you know she saw the blood from the ear and like you just you you learn more and more as you as you got older.
Speaker 2: From that episode, we had some of the biggest feedback we've got because I asked a question when Danny says or something maybe Patsy or Duty says, were drugs as big as he says? Nobody's drugs? Growing up, I thought her drugs are bigger than a net, think like a nets, like a fishing nets.
Speaker 1: I was like, how the boobs work? That's That's where I knew jugs meant boobs?
Speaker 2: I don't know, And then I realized it was a nett and I put out the question who is a net? And then like we still get people obviously catching up in episodes going just so you know, it was a net fun of Cello who was from the Mickey Mouse Club.
Speaker 1: Oh well, dad.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that. I just thought it was some chicken net from the high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go, and that and that fun of Cello.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: You can stop every one of the emails. We know it was Anckey mouse Club.
Speaker 3: Nobody's jugs are bigger than But the.
Speaker 2: Only thing watching it as an adult is you got Rizzo was a character I never really got growing sure, maybe because you look forty years old and.
Speaker 1: Stock card chatting. Maybe outside of John Travolda's had the best career correct potentially as a working act. Correct. And she sings that song about you know that.
Speaker 2: I was always fast forward, Yeah, yes, that and Pinky's Fantasy, you know, fast forward those songs, and it was about it was basically about being slut shamed. And when I watched it recently for this podcast, I was like, oh, I got it, And I think actually is one of the.
Speaker 1: More interesting Absolutely in this movie. You gotta watch it.
Speaker 6: As she's deep, she's got some like some some dark things going on. It's good to say come it all works out in the end, they're all together. In the they all together and they'll always be together.
Speaker 3: The things I could do Bye to, I have.
Speaker 1: To go watch this. I can't remember anything. What dogs and.
Speaker 7: You.
Speaker 1: Let's get onto The Devil's Advocate.
Speaker 7: Wow, I haven't seen that movie years, Reves.
Speaker 2: I've only seen it the once. So explain the premise for for those who maybe, Oh.
Speaker 1: He's a lawyer.
Speaker 7: So plays a lawyer who has never lost the case. And then he gets recruited by this al Pacino character who runs the biggest law firm in I don't rember where it is, but and he's secretly he's the devil. Al Pacino plays the role of the devil and obviously his law firm defends criminals and all the worst kind of people, and he is and he succumbs to the law of al Pacino and in in as a story pans out, he neglects his wife. She ends up killing herself. And it's really deep and nasty. It's really I'm quite disturbed.
Speaker 1: We found the dark side himself.
Speaker 2: Were Greece and Rocky he's a he's a sith law.
Speaker 6: You've got one guy going, you know, it's about life. Rocky is about life. This is my journey in life.
Speaker 3: One is I love the music.
Speaker 6: It's guys like, it's basically about death, basically about evil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought we're get and did you see that when it came out?
Speaker 2: As it the movie that's been a long time favorite or recently, it's just one of.
Speaker 7: Those movies I've saw at the movies, didn't particularly know anything about it at the time. That's just just go watch the latest Appatunita movie. It went out and watched it and it just it struck me down as there's so many underlying messages in that movie if you really sit down and watch it, and there's a bit at the end where Alputuner says, you know, it calls God the biggest pranks through in the world. It gives men and women every all the temptations and look but don't touch Dutch. But there's this big spilt there and I went, oh, fuck, man, this is that movie is like it's.
Speaker 3: Pretty for long.
Speaker 6: I watched it about maybe three months ago and it's pretty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've only seen it twice.
Speaker 1: You've got to watch.
Speaker 7: It like a number of times and then you start there's more. There's so many level in it and it really gets you thinking, like every time I watched it, I feel like I need to go to church, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And that was that was pre Matrix Kiano, wasn't it. That's what I believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, earlier nineties, I think, Yeah, great, great. So I'm gonna I'm gonna go back and watch The Devil's Advocate again.
Speaker 1: It's been a long time.
Speaker 2: What about Rocky, Well, I mean so many, not too many. You can never watch Rocky too many times. But I've seen a lot and we'll happily watch it again very soon. But akay, guys, let's get into the movie We are here to talk about Today from two thousand and four, directed by Jared hess And and he wrote it as well, starring John Heater as the titular character, Napoleon Dynamite.
Speaker 1: Did we enjoy it?
Speaker 6: I gotta tell you started watching it yep, if you don't mind me saying I had a bad review going in.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, because because one of one.
Speaker 3: Of the members here that what wasn't me?
Speaker 1: Why are you pointing fingers.
Speaker 3: Another man.
Speaker 1: About?
Speaker 3: Anyway, So we all watched it. He watched it first. He didn't particularly is like struggle to watch it?
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I went in there and I was thinking.
Speaker 6: I started watching it and I was like, I'm going to struggle to watch this because I didn't like the character from the start.
Speaker 3: He just got on the bus and he was like, he's going to do whatever I want to do, and he.
Speaker 6: Through He threw the significance of throwing the doll out the window on a piece of string and seeing it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because he lives in a small town and that's what fucking fun looks like.
Speaker 1: I think that's what the point.
Speaker 3: Of it is. As as it got on.
Speaker 6: As as the movie went on, I was like, I'm going to struggle, But then I started opening up.
Speaker 3: I was like, I just don't mind his character.
Speaker 6: By the time we got to one particular scene where he.
Speaker 3: Cops, he keeps a steak to the face.
Speaker 6: Man, I was like, I like this, I'm all right, it's getting me. And then it just got better. Towards the end, it just really got it got good and I enjoyed it. And as I was watching it, I'm thinking, this movie now, I didn't know who that direct. As I was watching it, I think this movie reminds me of natural libre. Natural libre. I love natural libre. It's just the way it's shot, the way the characters their facial expressions, the way they interacted, the way the cars would pull up, the angles of the shots. You know, some of the characters, Like there was one in particular with the egg where they had that the egg sandwiches, the silence flies.
Speaker 3: The flies all over the eggs and stuff. I was like, this is like natural.
Speaker 1: Libre looked it up.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, it's Jared Hess.
Speaker 1: The very next film with Jack Black, so I actually enjoyed it.
Speaker 6: I ended up really enjoying it and liking the character and anything about fun.
Speaker 2: A little fun fact was Jack Black almost played Rex for rex Quondo.
Speaker 1: Ah, and let's have a little listen.
Speaker 2: Before we get Joe's thoughts, and then we'll delve into Andrew's thoughts as well.
Speaker 1: On Napoleon Dynamite. Let's have a listen to the rex Kondo. I'm Rex, father.
Speaker 3: Of the rex Quondo self defense system.
Speaker 9: After one week with me and my dojo, you'll be prepared to defend yourself with the streak.
Speaker 3: Of prisly.
Speaker 1: The replaces of a Cuba. There, calm down today, A free title lesson the Wisdom of a man. I do I do.
Speaker 2: As a line before we get Andrew because we we want to delve into maybe his first reactions.
Speaker 1: But Joe, what did you make of it?
Speaker 6: I was the same as my brother, to be honest, I was like, because I've heard the first review and I'm like, okay, probably not going to like it. But then a friend of ours also said, well, we told a friend of ours were watching it, and he said, oh, you guys aren't going to like it because so far away from what the comedy that you usually watch or usually like. But the same thing happened. I sort of struggled for the first half hour, and then.
Speaker 2: Are you guys considering At one point, were you guys messaging each other on what's up going?
Speaker 1: Can we get out of the podcast? Consider changing the movie?
Speaker 6: But then I was like, and then, but then, as Color was saying, I'm looking at this movie going some of this stuff looks like familiar. I've seen this, this this type of directing before, and I'm like, where have I seen it?
Speaker 3: Where have I said?
Speaker 6: I started sort of just sort of what you know, obviously, keep going through it. And when I started seeing you know, al Rico throwing filming himself throwing those you know, those those gridiron balls around. I'm like, this guy's filming himself in the middle of nowhere. It's like, again, see.
Speaker 3: How he was throwing it? Why was he throwing it from his hip? I started noticing all the little.
Speaker 1: And then he throng with a broken arm.
Speaker 6: And then and then I'm like, where where have I seen this thing before? Then the dance scene came, and that was I love that dance scene.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: That's that a little wind, you know. But I kept on thinking, why is this guy's eyes so closed? Why his eyes always are so closed? And he was so upset and so angry with the world.
Speaker 6: And then the bullies at the school, and and every time that that guy smashed it, he goes, okay, that's stings, you know. And the dancing and then and then anyway, in any end, I enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I did. I started to like it towards the end. In the actual fact, I want to watch it again now.
Speaker 1: To be honest.
Speaker 2: And this is a podcast where people and I am always a pains to point this out to the audience that you have just watched this film, so you are still processing correct this film. This happened quite a few times in this podcast where somebody has come on and gone, wasn't so much into it, and then we're going to discuss it. And I'm not trying to commit to it. You need to even like it, but but I think through discussing you're going to go Actually, there were some funny bits, and now there's a certain comfort of a second view.
Speaker 1: Absolutely got to go. The pressure is not on.
Speaker 2: We've we've done the podcast and now you can just watch it and kind of go.
Speaker 1: Actually, we know where it gets to and we know.
Speaker 6: Well when we're talking afterwards in the WhatsApp again color guys, I've fixed something in this movie. I don't know if you guys have noticed. And then I wrote in the in the text.
Speaker 3: Nacho and I said yes. He said yes, I didn't. It's a good per He said, yes, exactly.
Speaker 6: And I just thought, just exactly by some of the angles, some of the shots, because Nacho Libra has those, like you said, those shots where there's silence or no one says anything first and there's just noises, little buzzing noises and things like that. As you can see, I'm kind of film for film a conoisseur so but there's.
Speaker 2: Also a little bit of where's as about this film is absolutely static shots that maybe move a pan or or a whip, and the opening sequence has a lot of Wes Anderson about it.
Speaker 1: Andrew, what are your thoughts? Mate? Uti?
Speaker 2: First you jumped in first, and you spread the word your black.
Speaker 7: Heart, spread the affected them a little bit, spread the devil's word.
Speaker 1: That was my point point is.
Speaker 7: Within the first three minutes, I was thinking there's not enough devils or deaths and dark.
Speaker 1: For my liking.
Speaker 7: And then the second look I started watching it, I think my initial thoughts were and this is why I text him, Man, you've got to be on opiates or heavy drugs to enjoy this.
Speaker 1: But as I watched it, I loosened up a bit.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, I started understanding the heavy drugs. I took some drugs. But the real what got me about the movie was that there's some real stupid ship in it that really appealed to me. Like when he falls off the footage run away from his uncle and he falls off the fence, steak in the face and there's a done. The two bits that stick out to me it is like when he was dancing in his room, he comes down all.
Speaker 1: The game and now how he drinked the game.
Speaker 7: It was really aggressive, put it back in the fridge without the leader. And another bit when he was wrestling with his brother and he goes, I think I'm all off.
Speaker 1: He guess it's a bleeding.
Speaker 3: He goes a little bit, A little bit. It's like those little nuances that start happening.
Speaker 7: So I came around to it. I got into it. I got into the film eventually, but it is it is so far removed from what I'm used to watching. But yeah, it would turn out being a pretty funny film because.
Speaker 2: It's also I never really think of it as a high school movie, because high school movies, even if they're set in like smaller cities, they's still like big towns or big cities. This is like one of the most remote high school movies I've seen. He lives in the middle of nowhere, and this is the director's hometown. This is made on forty thousand dollars. It goes on and makes forty eight million dollars. Crazy, and everyone's in it is basically a friend outside of there's a couple of actors.
Speaker 6: Who John John head heater, heater, right heater. He got paid one thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be hopefully. Hopefully there was a little bit of back ending.
Speaker 6: As it started kicking, So I did a little bit of Wikipedia as it kicked up. You know, it got onto bigger things. He negotiated more, but I don't know if if he got a back end or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm happy to hear that he got at least some more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the negotiation, you think, hopefully, because they did a cartoon fucked At a Cartoon in twenty twelve, which acts as a as a kind of sequel, which, if you think about, actually makes sense because these characters feel quite.
Speaker 1: Absolutely don't they.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I mean there's a version of these where if these are Saturday Night Live characters, they're they're bigger.
Speaker 1: You know, you can.
Speaker 2: Imagine that Mike Myer is doing a version of you know, these kinds of characters. But I love, I mean, I really like, I really do like this. I saw on its release there's a lot of buzz about it. It was a big hit at sun Dance and and I immediately liked it. But I think this is go back to the high school point because it's it's got all the tropes of a high school movie. You know, there's all the locker rooms. You know, the locker rooms scene. Let's have a little to listen to the locker room scene when he's talking to the three jocks, and it's it's they handle. A lot of high school movies will spend a lot of time with the relations between the jocks and the you know, the protagonist, or especially if that protagonist is a nerd, if you like for one of a better term. But this is very economic, and let's ever.
Speaker 4: Listen, Napoleon, what did you do on last summer?
Speaker 11: Again?
Speaker 3: I told you I spent with my uncle in Alaska? Honey, wolverines? Did you shoot any Yeah, it's like fifty of them. They kept trying to take my cousins.
Speaker 9: What the heck would you do in a situation like that?
Speaker 3: What kind of gun did you use? A freaking twelve gage? What do you think?
Speaker 1: It's silly? Just it's so childish, and it's like.
Speaker 2: You know, it really is, and that's why I love about it, and I also don't, so actually I would make the high school point.
Speaker 1: And so you got you got the lockers.
Speaker 2: You know, you got the locker room, you got the cafeteria, you've got the mean girls, you've got the you know, you have the love interest, you have the miscommunication with the love interests, and then you have the prom. It's kind of like a classic tropy high school movie, but the set in a town that we never see, with characters that we never see.
Speaker 1: I love that Napoleon is.
Speaker 2: I don't think he knows well post it is a question, do you think he knows he's such an outcast?
Speaker 1: No, yeah, I think he does.
Speaker 6: I think he's oblivious and he's just that's the thing. Like at the start, I was I didn't like him. I was like, look at this kid man, like he's just he's mean.
Speaker 1: He was. He was a mean guy.
Speaker 6: Like as soon as he got in he was described he's mean, and the person's like, what are you going to do today?
Speaker 3: So he's going to do whatever I want.
Speaker 6: You know, he's yelling at people's he's snapping at people. So I don't think he knew he was. I think he just went about his life in his own sort of his own sort of way. When he used to go and feed the lama or whatever it was coming up, have some ham, they could go run up to the alarm.
Speaker 3: And give it some hand, because you know, so yeah, to answer that, I don't think he does know he's an outcast.
Speaker 6: He's just the other thing too is I think if I knew more about the movie when I went into watching it, that I knew that it was about this town and about this kid.
Speaker 1: So what did you know?
Speaker 3: I did nothing?
Speaker 1: Nothing at all.
Speaker 3: Nothing.
Speaker 6: All I know is that they used to sell Vote for Pedro t shirts and I saw them everywhere for a while, and I used to walk around, going, who the fuck is can I swear on this?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 6: Who the hell is Pedro? Who the hell is Pedro? I had no idea. And then Napoleon Dynamite. I always knew Napoleon Dynamite was, but never knew anything about the movie. So going and if I satly knew it was about this and about that, but I went completely blind and going, I have no idea what's going on here or why it's happening here?
Speaker 1: Were the things in the movie.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we all had very different high school experiences because we didn't go to high school. Yeah, were there things about it that you felt familiar to you from your own high school experience?
Speaker 6: There's things about the character that I've seen in people at school, school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that that guy who's.
Speaker 6: A little bit disgruntled and you know, very sensitive, the bully, the runoff, like the runoffs stop bling me.
Speaker 3: When he throws the badge and runs out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's there's elements of that character.
Speaker 7: But the fact that he asked for the badge, God gives it to him. What would he give it to him.
Speaker 1: When he was.
Speaker 6: Yes, So if I knew a bit more about it, That's why I want to watch it again, because now I look at it differently. Okay, I get what this is about now, and get and get to see these little nuances that I might have missed earlier, because.
Speaker 2: There are so many, so many little there's so you already identified about half a dozen of them already.
Speaker 3: And and and the potato gems in his pocket.
Speaker 1: Potato guy kicks you guys.
Speaker 3: Did you guys notice, did you guys notice the part? I just want to see if all the end? When I discussed this with you earlier.
Speaker 1: Pedro, he shaved his head. His head was hot. Yeah, did you notice?
Speaker 3: But when he was sitting in his he had he still had the wing on.
Speaker 6: He was sitting in his couch at home, and the wig was all wet because he was sweating through the wig. I didn't see that that little That little thing made me laugh so much that he that he was sweating through his wig on the couch.
Speaker 3: I don't know why, little bit.
Speaker 2: It's just a funny thing that these things happen, and we forgive it and we're okay with it because we in the subconsciously we know this is an indie film. This is a big budget for me going to go, hang on, Why was Pedro so almost violently ill that he was sweating so much that he had to shave his head like.
Speaker 11: It was.
Speaker 1: Because he's hot. Why do you in a hot bar? You don't question it. You don't question why they're judging cowns all of a sudden with the milk.
Speaker 3: He's just tasting the milk that one's got, whatever in it, that one's got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It worked. It's just the little things with the potato gems.
Speaker 6: When he puts the gems in his pocket, the whole thing goes in, squashes it in, and then zips it up and then wipes a little bit left.
Speaker 7: I have to go watch it again because even now I don't get it. I know what happened Okay, what happy ending. But I don't I have to go back and piece it all together because I didn't get there was so many random things in there and they've got to be connected somehow, and I don't see the connection.
Speaker 3: Well, he gets his time in the end and he saves the day.
Speaker 1: He is the hero.
Speaker 6: The dance is the best, you know, ye blods him and he gets his moment and he saves Pedro Pedro's campaign. But again I also think the dance the music choice that Canned Heat by Jamiroquai again the perfect song it is.
Speaker 2: It is so good and let's let's let's let's hang off and getting into the end for for a little bit because I wanted let's let's have a listen, because there's other characters who are I think, I think uniformly awesome. I think Kip is just.
Speaker 3: Because that was amazing, like the relationship with what's his name.
Speaker 2: Uncle, well, uncle Ricaco. But so in my mind, and you guys suspecting that there's no real girlfriend here. We we all heard about that guy at high school who had the girlfriend in Nadelaide.
Speaker 7: Yeah he was a I finally discover with that gift that that yes, yes, from that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah anyway, sorry, yeah, broake you off. No, no, not but but not at all.
Speaker 2: And I loved I love the fact that he was in his own, very his own understand way, quite positive. And then when Lafnaa I think arrives.
Speaker 3: I love the fact that she was real, real, I was expecting someone to come after life and she.
Speaker 2: Was gorgeous, you know, like that was to me. There could have been a hundred different ways to play that as a gag.
Speaker 6: I thought that they would go there's a party in the movie where he said, she's never sent me a full full body shot.
Speaker 3: So I thought that she was going to be on the larger side.
Speaker 6: Or with one of those ones with the five kids, you know that were coming off the bus. And then and even when she met him, she was sitting with him. I'm waiting for her to rob him or or just do something bad to him, you know, because that's what a movie would do, like some sort of to someone like him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Like there's there's a much cheaper joke. They could have had it correct, correct, but it was perfect.
Speaker 3: The way they did it.
Speaker 1: It was perfect.
Speaker 2: And we have Uncle Rico, and I think Uncle Rico and Kip together just magical, and I love that Kip seems to kind of of he wants Rico there. Napoleon he sees it as a jerk and he wants your map, but keeps note you can stay, you can stay. Let's have a little listen of Uncle Rico having a chat about This is just after he's throwing a steak in Napoleon's place, which apparently the actor John Grees did actually throw the steak from off camera. This is how low budgeted is. So I know we have got like two stakes. Make sure you get the shot. The sound that you hear, there's no sound effect. That's a sound, that's a slap of the steak hitting hitting John Heater in the face.
Speaker 1: And then he has his chat with his nephew.
Speaker 11: How much you want to make a bet? I can throw a football over the mountains? Well, the coach would have put me in fourth quarter. We'd have been state champions, no doubt, no doubt my mind. You better believe things that have been different. I'd have gone pro a heartbeat. I'd be making millions of dollars and living in a big old mansion somewhere.
Speaker 1: Talking it up.
Speaker 6: My soul.
Speaker 12: Kill I reckon, you know a lot about cyber space. You ever come across anything like time travel.
Speaker 1: Easy, I've already looked into it for myself, right on. I love that reply from I've already looked into it myself.
Speaker 3: Another funny part was when Napoleon actually tried tried it.
Speaker 2: Noises, And it's funny because it the only time because keeps quite I think, quite kind to Napoleon. Yeah, it's the only time because when he's like being basically electrocuted, there's a weird, sinister smile.
Speaker 1: There's there's a side of kid that I haven't seen before.
Speaker 7: With Kip when when Uncle Rico right ye took the steak he was eating and he didn't say anything.
Speaker 1: It was okay with the fact that his uncle just to take off the plate through it it was freshly cooked. He just he just cooked it sat there.
Speaker 3: You know what I love about the steak because they will frozen and see how much water was on the plate. It's those little details.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the little detail when Uncle Rico is talking to Kip in the in the little diner and all Anco is asking questions, but all he's doing is looking at his flexing his yah, just looking at his own arms and look, okay, I look okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Again.
Speaker 6: That's why I want to watch it again, because there were so many bits that you sort of noticed, and I noticed him. But then I'm like, why is this happening? There's really no reason why stuff was happening. It was Yeah, there was a point in that movie I was thinking, there's nothing, no one, no one's going anywhere. Yeah, no one's going anywhere. But then it all just sort of came.
Speaker 1: And and things.
Speaker 2: Things do happen slowly, and that does gain momentum, obviously, and I think sometimes they potentially shoehorn some story and all of a sudden, Petro running for presidents.
Speaker 1: What what happened? What happened?
Speaker 2: But let's ever listened to another character deb But she has already been to Napoleon's house with her her cosmetics. I guess burnt by kick with a with a well timed your mum gag, which is I just think it's so funny. But and then in the cafeteria, he's he's met Rico. Sorry, Pedro will get to him soon, and he goes to the deb as a he challenges himself, really doesn't he goes, I bet you don't think I can.
Speaker 1: Do you want to bet me that I can't? Okay, let's ever listen.
Speaker 10: Let's see a drinking one percent?
Speaker 1: Is that because you think you're fat? Because you're not.
Speaker 10: You could be drinking half you wanted to.
Speaker 1: Oh this is a big half the say I forgot about that.
Speaker 7: That was hilarious, man, people shed half the sanguige got a big chunk of things.
Speaker 6: Yes, that is so like hilarious and offensive in a way, like he just doesn't give a ship. What he says is just gone straight through and said, hey, you know you can be drinking four cream milk.
Speaker 3: What the hell.
Speaker 2: That's why I agree with this strike Earlier, I think he realized what an outside is because he just you know, I mean, listen, he's probably on a spectrum somewhere. You know, he's probably it's probably that to look into, but he just goes for it. Yeah, you know, whether it's trying he man at the bustard, you know, or or saying that to deb he just he's his own man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's he's just to the beauty, his own drum, oblivious.
Speaker 1: And he's no filter, no filter, no at all.
Speaker 2: Of Because you meet Rico, I like that Napoleon sees an opportunity when he's he overhears that the guesses that Rico is a new student because the Pedro, sorry, the principals introducing him and show him around the school. And Napoleon seeses on this opportunity others than you as a new kid. He doesn't know my history, yeah right right, he doesn't know I've got no friends, and he just takes he adopts him. But in the end, it's actually I think Pedro who takes Napoleon under his wing, because Napoleon kind of.
Speaker 1: Goes for stuff.
Speaker 2: He'll go for stuff, but Pedro's all of a sudden asking girls out and baking cakes for the hot girl yes in class. And then and then I might say a bit of a dog act from Pedro. He has deb yes, Dad, that just.
Speaker 6: And Napoleon took it like a champ. He did again oblivious, Yeah, just. I think he only sees what's in front of him at the time. Yeah, Napoleon, you know, almost he doesn't whatever's there at the time or what's happening doesn't really fair well, he was oblivious that he was the hero in the end of Pedro's victory right, and yeah.
Speaker 3: Girl, he gets the girl, and he gets the girl.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Let's let's chat about those victories, because you're right, Joe, like, they all have these little victories and there I think they're so beautifully proportioned victories. But you don't want it to be that they win a million dollars at the end of the year and then their lives share. Nobody's life is changed completely, you know. But we have Napoleon who steps up for his friend. It's probably the first time he's ever actually maybe the first time he's had a real friend, and it's the first time then he's actually had to step up for a friend and help a friend, and he makes that choice.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not sure. I've never been to the school where a presidential you know, campaign has had a skin it attached.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels a little bit convenient, but we allow it. It's fun and it does. It is like one of the most famous sequences in the film. And he's is dancing.
Speaker 3: Actually quite good.
Speaker 2: Well you've got to expecting you must have been thinking train wreck here. Yeah, it's gonna be David Branch in the office.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: He's goods.
Speaker 3: I read that.
Speaker 6: They they I think he was he liked dancing, yeah, and they put that together shot it I think three he danced three times. Oh really yeah, so he just did it on the spot, just did it on a spot three times.
Speaker 3: And they picked the best bits.
Speaker 6: But apparently half the budget this I don't know if this is right, half the budget of the movie is for that song because.
Speaker 3: When was it made?
Speaker 2: So released So this this is all based on a short film that they made Shotland's Super sixteen I think, or maybe him Super Great. He's a black and white and the character played by John Heater is named Seth. And there are things like what's in that that's actually in the film that the l Rico Pedro getting the wig. It's basically about that. Really, that's what it's about. It's actually not it's not Pedro. It's one of Pedro's friends getting the wig. So it's and it's like a six to seven minute short film. And that was invited to think on slam Dance and they've got a bit of heat there and then they came up with the idea, let's make a film, ye and they.
Speaker 6: I believe they wanted to give obviously read a bit on it. They wanted to give the role to Jake gi Yeah, exact.
Speaker 3: And if it's not, if it's not Reeves or Opportunity.
Speaker 1: You'll know Jake Gillenhall from or Donnie Darko to go Back, he did.
Speaker 3: He did the Fighter as well, Broake Back Mountain, Broke Back Mountain.
Speaker 1: The other guy. Yeah, no, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they got the director said no, he's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and good on him for sticking.
Speaker 3: Has to play this guy. Yeah, yeah, he's good.
Speaker 6: I kept on looking at this guy, going, man, he looks familiar. Where have I seen this guy? Where have I seen this guy? And he played with Blades of Glory? Was he?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Will Skating, I've seen that.
Speaker 6: And I knew that he had done Napoleon Dynamite, and it was I didn't you see. That's the thing I knew about this movie, but I just I just never got around to watching.
Speaker 7: No idea I knew about the movie Napoleon Dynamite. This is why I think I was disappointed. When I first Yeah, I started watching, I thought it was going to some grand film. Here we go, here we go, and I love Michael, this guy with his stupid hair, and so what the hell are we watching what is he called Napoleon Dynamite. Just never there was a quite there was that what happened to his mum?
Speaker 3: She just left?
Speaker 1: Man, I think that parents were probably no longer.
Speaker 7: It was never was never explained why he was living with his name and then just yeah, there's a lot that was and I was like, I don't know what was going.
Speaker 1: On there anyway. Yeah, but I think it's funny.
Speaker 2: Different films have their own culture and what they give you and what they hold back, and sometimes it matters.
Speaker 1: And it obviously mattered to you that you did not know where the parents were. Well in the storyline, I was like, she just she's just gone.
Speaker 3: Was explained though that she she just she.
Speaker 1: Injured herself jumping off.
Speaker 3: In the end, the ground came back because it was kissing said, she's actually on one of those sand dunes in that car.
Speaker 1: It was a lie. It's hilarious. It's hilarious.
Speaker 6: You don't need, you know, I don't think you need, in my opinion, in a movie like this, you don't need an intricate explanation about every character what they're doing, and none of it needs to make sense.
Speaker 3: In fact, it helped the movie that didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like, in my opinion, these big jumps are kind of going, Okay, now we're here growing well again.
Speaker 7: It's like Joe said, I if I'd read up a bit about the movie, maybe I would have gone out to expect it.
Speaker 1: It makes sense to me.
Speaker 3: In that part.
Speaker 6: But they go back to school after the cow thing. They're both wearing Jacko's jackets and medals.
Speaker 3: One when you think about it, like I was looking at going why are they wearing those medals? What did they win?
Speaker 1: They wont the milk tasting whatever it was.
Speaker 7: And then the bit when the grandma comes back, all you see she's kissing the and that's it.
Speaker 1: That's it, that's it.
Speaker 3: That part she was kissing the lamb.
Speaker 6: I was real close up sure her kissing the love the most ridiculously funny shot of the head kissing a lama perfect, but also the random uh Pedro's cousins coming along the road.
Speaker 3: And then and then he cuts to them when the car favorite characters.
Speaker 1: That was that was and that was such a funny cut, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Like it's funny that he runs away after two gentle knocks at the door and goes, Okay, I guess I just run to Tricia's house. Awesome drawing of Tricia. By the way, the eyes were so far apart. Would say, you guys, it took me like three hours to get the shading on your upper lip right.
Speaker 3: But on the note it also said, you know if you if you come to problem and me, there'd be more of this.
Speaker 2: And then the idea like you know he you know when he she calls and she's doing under sufferings because their parents, You are going out with this kid, and I figured out why why Uncle Rica had told her, oh, he's got some problems.
Speaker 1: He wets his pantsy, she feels sorry, so you're going with him?
Speaker 2: And then like she's probably she knows she's doing him a favor, but not in Napoleon's mind.
Speaker 3: He's a lot of the stuff that they put in the movie.
Speaker 6: Do you think, like you know, those little nuances, do you think that they were purposely put in there?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: I think there's always happy accidents that you stumble upon. Yeah, but I think this is a really well thought out, you know, and the costume design. You think of costume design, you think of the big period pieces, but there's costume design going on here that is so the moon boots, those little touches, the CLO's car, there was one he wore that they were intentional. All that stuff was intentional because you've got to think a certain way to be able to put that together. You know that they're not they're not a series of accidents. No, no, and Rex is you know with the America pantsy and Rex Kondo American Oh yeah, stripes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was the one one top that Enrico was it Rico was wearing at the shop and it looked like I had that.
Speaker 1: Little bomb with the orange.
Speaker 3: Orange lines in the front. Yeah. Yeah, Yeah, had a couple of those ripper great great costumes.
Speaker 2: And then keep coming of changes his style when he comes out and he's kind of you know, he.
Speaker 6: Put the chain on the chain, docrination into the culture, do rag a rag on his head.
Speaker 3: He's all gangster now and he starts, he leaves town, he lives.
Speaker 1: He leaves.
Speaker 2: And what's nice about that is that when Napoleon sees him, he actually smileds like very he smiles very It's very subtle, but he smiles, and he's actually happy to see his brother.
Speaker 3: You know, he's happy.
Speaker 2: He's brother happy. Yeah, yeah, so I love that. And so Napoleon has the win with the with the dance, which is just awesome. Kip has the win. Rico even has Rica becomes president, he has Pedro Pedro, Pedro Pedro has the win. I love the idea that cousins like they get back to the cousins offering protection.
Speaker 1: Let's see where shruck up in the car is again it's silly, you know, and.
Speaker 6: He pulls out his the kid pulls out that thing that Napoleon gave him the friendship it worked, ye protect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And even uncle Uncle Rica has the win like he's just in the middle of nowhere with his broken arm.
Speaker 1: And then then this girl, So was that ant?
Speaker 3: Was that an ex love interest that I might have missed?
Speaker 7: Rand I thought it might have been that girl's mum and they took to the prompt.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's not.
Speaker 7: I hadn't seen her. I hadn't seen it before. I just assumed that she must have been that woman.
Speaker 3: It was just an untold thing that he got, you know, he got a girl in whatever.
Speaker 6: You know, was always talking about soul mate, soul mate, soul mad even goes find your soul mat make sure you find your soul mate.
Speaker 3: So maybe that's.
Speaker 1: That's that's the talk about the hot tub and the soul mate.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And then when when I was sitting down, he was he was having those those onion rings. But do you know when he ate the onion ring and he had he dipped in some sauce and then he went to eat it, and a piece of sauce fur on his arm and then he looked around and why that that couldn't have been that couldn't have been scripted, but he just played that's that. That's he just played on with that, and I was I was like, let it, let it go. Yeah, and that's when you start talking about soul mates again with the brother what's the brothers called name again?
Speaker 3: Kip?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's so good. I got some fun facts to run through you before we finish up. Some we've already discussed. But this was shut in twenty two days. I'm a budget about forty thousand, so you guys.
Speaker 3: It was four hundred thousand.
Speaker 1: I was sorry, four hundred thou right, sorry, four hundred thousand forty.
Speaker 3: I was gonna correct itim, but I was like, you know, I don't want to embarrass it.
Speaker 1: Fucking Joe had no problem.
Speaker 3: No, it was sincere. I thought it was four hundred.
Speaker 1: It was a little bit off. Did a very good job of correcting, correcting me, but in a very nice way. It was well done.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so but still four hundred grand and for what it made.
Speaker 2: For what I made, and I imagine it's still making money, so it's probably over potentially have a fifty million now shooting twenty two days. John Heath was twenty six at the time, Pedro was thirty one. The Alarmer belongs to the director's mum.
Speaker 1: This is our indie.
Speaker 2: The film making was that the lama even was Jared's mum. Every dish you see in the opening credits is eaten by that character throughout the movie. Yeah, using eaten, So say, I'm not sure this one matches up necessarily, but say it was like nachos for Kip. He was, you know, on the phone making he's making anarchose. I'm not sure if that's a specific example, but basically, the eggs the tots were one yes, yes, So there you go.
Speaker 1: Fact.
Speaker 2: And then in the opening sequence you see different hands coming in and because once I think Sony in them TV came on board. They got they didn't like the hands that were coming in. This is where like these guys have made an independent film. Let them have whatever hand to go and nobody's caring about the hands. But they got hand models to come in and do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so the dance.
Speaker 2: There's conflictive reports about this that there's that they ran out of film when the dance sequence was happening.
Speaker 6: I heard that he had ten minutes left and that was the last bit of film and they're like, we're going to get this so roll.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: John Heathen doesn't remember it being like that, but at the same time, maybe he wasn't aware that. I think Jared has says that they ran out of film and they had ten minutes to choose from. For ye ten minutes of the dance to choose from. I mentioned Jack Black almost played Rex in Nacho Libre, which is really.
Speaker 1: A really fun film.
Speaker 2: And there is there's an extra scene which you guys may not have seen because I noticed I watched it on stand. I'm not sure if you guys watched it on stand. There's no there's a closing credit sequence. We're gonna have a little bit of listened to it's basically the wedding. Didn't watch it, it's the wedding waited as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just not on there.
Speaker 2: So so you this is a wedding of Kip and la Fonda, and on one side there's like, you know, the Grandma and Ikrica and deb and Napolic is not there yet he arrives soon. On the other side is all Lafonda's family in real life. They rang up the actors who played Lafonda and said, you know what mean you you were out here in Idaho playing Lafonda. Did you realize you notice there's no black people in town at all? And she says, yeah, I didn't notice that. Do you mind bringing your family out so they can actually be your family in the wedding? So the family you see are actually her family. So and then so what happens is we're going to have a little listen to a song that Kip sings to his girlfriend Lafonda, who's met on the on the chat rooms, and then you'll hear some music play. You'll hear a horse and you'll if you can imagine Napoleon Dynamite riding in on a horse to some music to all Aussies, you should recognize. Okay, let's start hip and he's beautiful serenading. There's new bride Lefonda.
Speaker 1: Why do you love me? Why do you need me?
Speaker 10: Always?
Speaker 4: Sam?
Speaker 3: Forever?
Speaker 10: You met in a child room. No love Confolly bloom Sure a world wide webon's great? D you make me self of it? Yes, I love technology, but not as much as you, you see, but I still love technology always, Sam Forever. Our love is like a flock of doves fly not to have them above Always Sam, Forever, always Sam. Yes, I love the true Why do you need me?
Speaker 2: Why do you love me? So he just rides it on a horse, and he rides it on the horse, and you recognize their music. I mean, if you haven't seen a movie, you won't recognize that this is a snow man.
Speaker 3: I thought it was going to be Daryl Breathway Horses.
Speaker 2: They probably can't afford us. They spend all their money on Jimiroquid. They couldn't afford that.
Speaker 3: That's how why they put that in.
Speaker 1: So that was a.
Speaker 2: Sequence that when the money kind of came in from the studios, they added that later on. So they got everybody back, and that I think costs as like that scene costs more than the the movie. No, yeah, yeah, so so I'm not sure that's that's I imagine that doesn't include in that forty four hundred thousand.
Speaker 1: It might, it might, I'm not sure about it.
Speaker 7: That hold on, So they spent another additional four hundred thousand plus dollars film in this, and then I didn't even put it in.
Speaker 1: They didn't put it in the movie.
Speaker 2: And it's not even like I said, you watched it stand last night. I watched it on stand and I didn't see it. It's the first time I've seen this movie. Where did you have a dozen times?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: I saw it online online. I was just looking around for this and then I saw this car closing credit sequence.
Speaker 3: Look it up.
Speaker 1: I'll give it a go.
Speaker 3: Go look it up.
Speaker 7: The microphone thing was hilarious. Microphone in between singing noise, Yeah, little but little.
Speaker 3: I like the music in the background.
Speaker 7: It's like one of those harmonica playing in the back.
Speaker 1: And now do you know when the microphone.
Speaker 2: Doesn't yea yeah, gentlemen, Sushi Mango, this podcast comes with homework.
Speaker 1: It's not just about rocking up.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you very much, so you are as busy as anyone At the moment you're off the boat. Tour is absolutely going gang busses And like I said in the int nobody has sold more tickets than Sinshi Mango over the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: You must be loving it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good to be back out there and in front of people again.
Speaker 2: Because there's a chance though when COVID came, like you guys had this tour, I can plan and there must have been you must have been more than almost anyone going what the fuck does this mean?
Speaker 6: It was two or three times and it happened to It happened to a lot of people. But it seems like we're on the steady now. Everyone the whole industry is back.
Speaker 1: And there was a.
Speaker 6: Testament to the crew and Dainty and everyone involves with all the venues and everything in the start of the year from January to May, when no one was doing pretty much anything, we were still able to pack all these people.
Speaker 7: Logistics of getting getting stuff around because we've got an a big arigan to be riging to take all the cancelations. But the tech dainty group aculate.
Speaker 1: And remaining it together.
Speaker 7: It shouldn't it probably shouldn't have gone ahead, but somehow these guys have managed to when I say shouldn't. It was so comp complex that how it came together.
Speaker 6: And also the all the arenas for helping jug every well, when I say all the arena, just rod labor and kudos. But then you know, the La Entertainment Center and all those places just just to be accommodating to move things.
Speaker 3: Around, and they did it so seamlessly.
Speaker 6: And then thank god for all the people that you know that got brought tickets and then got stuffed around.
Speaker 3: Had to rejug the dates and perth was just crazy.
Speaker 6: But you know, we had to completely change venue within a week, right because everything got cut down the fifty percent. We had to move everyone across and you know.
Speaker 7: And those poor people initially got told that they were so we're at the Riviera was it at the river? The riversides here there, and so those people got got an email and they've been told that the shows are being split into fifty percent capacity. And then a couple of days later that went down again, so we had to relocate them to another venue. Altogether, it was really difficult, That's what I'm saying. It's very complex and but we got through it.
Speaker 3: So this run that we're doing now, it's beautiful because it.
Speaker 1: Was good. It's like running naked again.
Speaker 3: Fantastic.
Speaker 6: And then when one day hear the laughter proper, people who want to wear masks, they want to want to wear masks.
Speaker 3: It's not it's not required anywhere anymore, but you know if people want to.
Speaker 7: But you know what I mean, people, when you're on stage and everyone in the audience has got a mask on, it changes the dynamic.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's it's certainly nicer, and it's not what comedy was supposed to be about to play. You know, thirty percent you know, capacity is mask and all that. So everyone was amazing to do and give the tip of the habit the cruise they are and we lost a lot of crew level we had to go to constructions, y you, but hopefully a lot of going to come back.
Speaker 1: But they are amazing.
Speaker 2: So whenever you go to any show, whether it's something the size of since You Mango or something at your local comedy room, you know there are crews working.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so many jobs. Will let our crew at least eat at least once a day.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, that's very generous, it is, And we're not not with not with you guys, not with us. No, No, that's going to ride them with the same kind of water that you provided us. That kind of great.
Speaker 3: And every now and then a steak out of the freezer with the water water.
Speaker 1: And I do as I want to say.
Speaker 2: I mentioned this in intro, but you know, when everybody needed to laugh during lockdown, you guys were putting out so much content and it was just fucking hilarious.
Speaker 10: It was that.
Speaker 1: I thought the tone was perfect.
Speaker 2: It was absolutely you know, reflecting the frustrations and the angers and that the weirdness of the situation without necessarily kind of calling for anarchy, you know, in a way. And I thought it was a really important and really nice tone.
Speaker 1: Laugh a lot. You know what.
Speaker 6: I think the world needs to get back to a place where everyone can have a difference of opinion and still be united.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's it's crazy that you know, it's crazy that people are divided over over certain things. It's like, you know, we we can all agree or you know, you go for Colin, would we.
Speaker 1: Go for Melbourne.
Speaker 7: But it'd be nice to return to a time where we can respectfully take the piss out of each other.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I think online what it's made us do is think you have to pick a side like but we don't live our lives like that. We're all mates and we were, Like I said, football is one thing. We might even have different opinions and other things, and I'm sure we do. Whether it's films or even politics, I don't know, but that's okay. Imagine imagine cultivating your friendship group about people who had this exact same opinions.
Speaker 1: That's just that's happening.
Speaker 6: It's happening, and it's and and and what we want to we want to fight against it. We want to get back to the days. It's like you, it doesn't matter what religion, what politics we were, we were, if you like, if you like, whatever you like, it doesn't matter. We can all still coexist. And I think what we went through changed that a bit, you know, and maybe as time goes on, it'll it'll it'll soften a little bit.
Speaker 3: And hope.
Speaker 6: So it's funny, Carl, right, because we've been brought up to our dad would always say, never discuss religion or politics because it always ends up in a fight. And then my dad was saying this, so and now it's out, everyone's discussing. It's in front of everyone's face, and it's causing a fight, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's crazy. But now thanks, but thanks.
Speaker 6: It's nice to hear that coming from you make being an industry for a long time said when you came on our podcast. We've always looked up to you, loved your stuff, loved your humor.
Speaker 3: You always lead with humor ever since back in the day. And you know, it's a pleasure to be a mate with you. And people come up to us.
Speaker 6: A lot and say thanks for getting us through Lockdown, But I always say thank you for getting us through Lockdown because the more that they watched, the more we put out. And it was a two way street, you know what I mean. So we were happy to do it, but it was also giving us something to do, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And the other before we let you go wog Boy wog Boy three Boys three. Yeah, what's the official title.
Speaker 3: Wog Boys Forever, but it's definitely Wog Boys three.
Speaker 6: He's coming out, you know, Steve the character which is Nick Jnoppus's character. It's a great, great character he's playing this time. He's bring it back to old school. He's back in Melbourne. The a few of the old characters are back and there's a couple of new characters in.
Speaker 1: It's a couple of characters. Yeah, and very well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's done a great job.
Speaker 7: Has done a nice job the director there, and it's shot in a particular anger. It kind of has a kind of the first one.
Speaker 6: Again, so it's not quite as low budget as Apology, But you know what, I love what you did.
Speaker 3: Once Nick came on.
Speaker 6: Nick came on the project, I was going to mention yeah, and then and then and they were talking about the word wog and who can say it? And I'm always were I think we me and the boys agree that, you know, if you say wog, it's fine.
Speaker 3: Anyone can say it, you know, and.
Speaker 6: You know obviously the way it's said intention so and I think that night Nick was on the show and and you said, no, you can't.
Speaker 3: He said, well you can't say it, and you can't say it. And then then the name of the show was called that were you said at work and we were just like that was you said, where everyone go and see at work? We're hysterics.
Speaker 1: And now I'm still here I didn't get canceled.
Speaker 6: So but like we said, like we've always said, you know, I mean, it's obviously the way it's said, you know what I mean, and hell, what's what's coming behind it?
Speaker 3: But look, man, we're very excited for the movie.
Speaker 6: Our first was great to see how it all he's put together, and and the crew of the team in it too with vis Colossimo. Sarah Roberts is in it too, and obviously Nick at the helmet, and there's some more great, great, great cast, and it's gonna do really well.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: Check it out in cinemas in a couple of.
Speaker 3: Weeks, actually, sixth of October it comes out.
Speaker 1: Bang, there you go. We'll come into a podcast on that one.
Speaker 3: We'll actually we won't watch it first watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get me on the WhatsApp group. Guys, we got it. We gotta go. Andrew's got a rex Kwondo.
Speaker 3: Session to get to.
Speaker 1: Running a sorry getting he's getting twitchy. All right, thanks, legends, Thank you?
Speaker 10: Why do you love me? Why do you need me? Forever?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm waving my iPhone with the torch on always and forever, always and forever.
Speaker 1: Beautiful stuff, Kip, that was so much fun.
Speaker 2: That was a historic episode of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet with the three greats from Sushi Mango. Thank you so much to Carl and Joe and Andrew for coming in and doing their homework, and it was so much fun. I really enjoyed that. There may have to be more episodes with more people involved. It's just a fun vibe. And if they if they get back to me, if they end up do watching the movie again and have different thoughts, hopefully they share them with me and I'll pass them on. But lots of fun cheating back to Napoleon Dynamite, and I love the film. I love the film, and it was lovely here them enjoying it. But also I get a feeling when they watch it again, they're going to enjoy it even more. And I think even Andrew might even enjoy it more the second time. Derek Myers from Castaways Studios dot com dot au, he's obviously on the buttons and Derek, you've seen Napoleon Dynamite.
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, there's a lot of hype when it came out, like yeah, yeah, it's my crew anyway, like it was like you've got to see.
Speaker 2: This, Derek, Yeah, it was it was not hype obviously like a you know, a Marvel film or anything, but it would there was. It was buzz this kind of unique little indie comedy that has come out, and if you watch the trailer you could kind of see that it was. It's very quotable and these these idiosyncratic characters, Like I said it was a big hit I think at Sundance and said it was buzz.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I enjoyed it even more last night. I sat down and watched it and it was great to have the boys from Sushi Mango just pick out those little detail that I also normally don't see details in a film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but just just the way he just landed well, climbing over the fence. Just little things like that.
Speaker 2: But I mentioned a lot of them, and it was funny because when I was chatting to them and I could see that obviously Andrew was maybe a little bit more lukewarm, and John Carlow we had a bit more enthusiasm. But they all said it took him a while to get into it. But then they were like they were reciting all these and remembering all these little moments in the film that even to the point where Andrew remembered that he didn't actually really puts the gatoray back one the aggressive nature of Harry drinks it, but then he puts it back with that putting the lid on, like these little details all through this film. So I think when they watch it again, if people are listening to you know, give it a second go. There's so many details that you pick up. And I watch it every few years. I watch it with my kids dream Lockdown, and they loved it. This thing is it's just really funny. It's really funny, it's got sweetness, it's got it's got a good heart. Like I said at the end, it's the winds appropriately sized, I think. And also I think we spoke to Alex Eedelman, if you remember Derek, when we spoke about Thelma and Luise, and he made the point that every American film has to in some way be about America. And I was thinking about that when I was watching this, thinking, yeah, I do think this film is about America like it is. These are about almost the forgotten people in the way, and this is back in two thousand and four. You know, we don't see movies about people like this, and I think these people basically living in the middle of nowhere, yet they still believe in the American dream, you know, particularly Uncle Rico.
Speaker 1: He believes that, you know, he can still get back. You can get it.
Speaker 2: If it's get his hands on the time machine, he can get back and become that quarterback, you know. And they all they're all dreaming, they're all dreaming, and they're all wanting to find their soulmate.
Speaker 1: And they do, they do. So I think it's a wonderful film.
Speaker 2: Now, Derek, how can people get involved with the podcast and how can people you know, like support it?
Speaker 1: And what are the various ways I can do that?
Speaker 9: Well, three quick things come to mind. Email has been great. We've got a lot of email feedback which is terrific. There's the iTunes reviews is great, We have a look at those.
Speaker 3: There's tons of those. What do we recommend?
Speaker 2: Yeah, five star reviews would actually really help with the algorithms and keep us in the conversation and people on iTunes that we exist.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and it is a nice way to get some feedback in there in the review. And of course there's the speak pipe, which is the there's a link in the show notes the notes there, so you can hit that and jump on and it's just like writing an email, but just with your voice. You get to use your own voice and you can get on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we love to hear your voices, so get onto that. In the meantime, we do have some electronic responses, I believe, all.
Speaker 9: Right, So here's I've got an email here from a while back from Mark you Mark, Hi, Pete, big fan.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 9: Have seen you do stand up in bris Vegas and loved it.
Speaker 1: I always loved doing stand up in bres Vegas.
Speaker 9: Also really enjoy the podcast. However, just an observation, you seem to be offended and get quite defensive if your guest does not love the movie, especially if it is one of your favorite movies.
Speaker 1: I know what's coming.
Speaker 9: My best example was when Hamish McDonald watched Punch Drunk Love. He clearly did not enjoy the movie. However, you then seem to be constantly telling us and him why it is a good movie. On the rare occasion when Hamish was able to explain what he didn't like about it, you would always respond with, but it almost sounds like it is a movie that you made and a defending or if somebody has criticized one of your children.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not sure I was that full on. If you go, one of my kids will come harder than I did. Hamish McDonald, I can. I can guarantee you.
Speaker 9: That would love to see a guest discuss Sure Shake Redemption, which surely is on your list. However, maybe everybody has seen it, regards Mark.
Speaker 1: That is a good point.
Speaker 2: Thank you Mark for your email, and that yes, Sure Shaking Redemption definitely on the list. And like pulp fiction, which is you know, the Tarantina films, which have been requested multiple times, it's just a matter of finding somebody who hasn't seen it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, on the list. I'm sure we'll get to it at some point.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that we've had a lot of feedback both anecdotally personally about that Punch Strunk Love episode with Hamish McDonald. Most of it actually has been really positive and thank you Mark ought to say for and I love the community we are cultivating here, very respectful. If they've got something it's about a guest of mine or something that's happened on the show, or somebody've disagreed with, they've been completely respectful about it. And I really appreciate that in a world where sometimes if you're speaking publicly, whether it's on TV or on a podcast or live, if you sometimes you don't even know that you tripped up. And if you can offend, you can offend so many people a thousand different ways. And so to have the audience the Yasni community been so respectful, I love it and it inspires me to keep this going for as long as I can.
Speaker 1: So thank you.
Speaker 2: I mean, I will say that, of course if somebody doesn't like the movie and hopefully goes without saying, everyone I have on the show is a mate.
Speaker 1: I don't like.
Speaker 2: I don't have anyone. There's a publicity machine behind Yasney inviting guests on, like we're not trying to. I mean, that might happen down the track. I'm not saying if somebody was to pitch somebody who I was interested in, but we wouldn't have him on. But at this point, everyone I have on the show is a friend. And you know, a good friend, somebody I admire, somebody have a close relationship with Hamish I've known for years and we are great mates. What you heard is probably somebody like me having a debate with a mate, And I mean, I could just let Hamish say that he didn't like the movie, and I respect that he didn't like it, obviously nowhere near as much as I did. But to make a podcast interesting, it needs to be a discussion, I think, and that discussion, I mean I cannot just not respond to him not liking the film. And you absolutely right, Mark in that it is one of my favorite films. In fact, I think it's probably my top five films. I actually think it's a perfect film for what poor Thomas Anderson was trying to achieve. That doesn't mean everyone's going to like it. I completely understand that, I admit, and me and Haimy should discussed it since I was surprised his reaction to and not liking and not appreciating the anger issues that Barry Egan had in that movie. It surprised me on the deck because I didn't discussed before the podcast what he thought of the film, so I was dealing with that in that moment. I've never heard anyone discuss it, like having seen Barry is dislikable because of his anger issues. I think his anger issues are explained in like we understand the reasons for them. I think they're quite sympathetic reasons, so that was surprising to me.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's it more fun to hear people disagree about a film, or is it you know we're both on the same team, you know, the same side, we like the same things.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'd love that episode. I really loved. I loved Hamish's stories about his three favorite films. But I loved having at debate and you know, me being challenged. And I think we're living in a world at the moment, like we discussed with the Sushi Mango Boys only minutes ago, we it's okay to disagree, and I certainly would hope it didn't come across that I was trying to silence Hamish on his thing. I was just responding to his because I've got a different point of view, and that's what debate in the discussion is. Like Hamy said he might go watch it again. He may not.
Speaker 2: I probably suspected he might know. I got more faith in sincey man go watching Napoleon Dynamite again than I do Hamis's watching Puns Strong Love again. But as somebody pointed out to me, that's part of the beauty of films and like that you that I saw something in this film that Hamish didn't see, and that's what makes it more precious in a way for me, and Hamish might see something in one of like maybe head On, that I didn't quite see, and that's what While we should wrap our arms around the films that we love and not necessarily think that everyone needs to love them, but just to go, well, this means something to me and that is enough. Now, Obviously, when you're doing a podcast about it film, you want to you know, fill out the time by having putting your points across and why you love the film.
Speaker 1: So that's what I was trying to do with Hamish.
Speaker 2: But I do appreciate you your email mark and like I said, a respectful way that you put that across.
Speaker 1: And we will have Suwshank Redemption, I'm sure one day.
Speaker 9: While we're on the topic of punch drunk Love, there's a.
Speaker 1: We found another one.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's a review here, just the top review here. It says from NOE seventy eight. I love every episode of this podcast, but this episode was my favorite so far.
Speaker 1: Oh thank god.
Speaker 3: Redemption.
Speaker 9: What is more entertaining than both Pete and his guest loving a movie is these episodes when guests don't share Pete's enthusiasm. I loved Pete's attempts to alter Hamish's view of Punch Drunk Love and attempting from every angle to represent this movie in a more endearing light for Hamish.
Speaker 2: There you go, well, there you go, And to be honest, we have received a lot of feedback about that, and most of them have been really positive. And Mark I said Mark's was I still see it as a positive. It's a reaction, and if you're having a reaction to a discussion that he's fantastic. We don't want to We don't want to make anyone angry, and I don't markedn't sound angry about it. It is just making a point. So I certainly do appreciate that email and reaction. I'm going to defend the films I love, but it's you know, I certainly don't never want it to be like any kind of debate that I'm being either aggressive with those points. But it's hopefully this comes across as passion because I'm passionate about movies. I wouldn't be doing this podcast if I wasn't next week on the show, we have a returning guest from last season. He is an actor, largely a comedic actor, but that's not all. If he's also a writer. He's a man who's had a lot of passion for the craft, and that's Jackson. Toza had a great reaction to his episode of The Determinator in season four, so he's back. When people take on a franchise, we invite them back to complete, not necessarily the entire franchise, but at least the next classic film in that franchise, which is of course T two Terminated, Toudgement Day, Arnoles, Schwarzschnegger, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong in his film debut, James Cameron at the Helm again.
Speaker 1: Is it better than Terminator? The original film?
Speaker 2: Is it in that bracket of Empire strikes back in The Godfather Part two?
Speaker 1: I think it is? Will Jackson agree, terminated too, Judgment Day next week, and you ain't seen nothing yet until then? By for now, and so we
Speaker 2: Leave old Pete save Van Soul, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.