Speaker 1: I heard podcasts, hear more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app Good Pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn Radio work our windows down.
Speaker 2: That's my world.
Speaker 1: Reason the dust only good fabs all down.
Speaker 2: I don't march, but yeah, I know I'll big get and what I want it don't baddle where.
Speaker 3: This is the pick up.
Speaker 1: Hello everybody, It's a pickup with Brett Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 2: Hey, Laura, I didn't think I'd be saying this, but I've got a new hobby.
Speaker 3: I have a new sport.
Speaker 2: I'm an athlete now that I have absolutely fallen in love with, and I just feel like everybody needs to do it.
Speaker 4: Paddle ball paddle tennis.
Speaker 1: Oh, I knew it was gonna be something like that was I don't know, it's paddle ball a thing.
Speaker 4: It was actually a guess I was gonna say that all table tennis or something that's.
Speaker 3: Not table tennis. You're adult tennis. It is, guys, if you haven't tried it, it's so fun. It's like the funnest what I might have ever played.
Speaker 4: What's the difference between paddle tennis and just tennis? Tennis.
Speaker 3: I was hoping you'd ask.
Speaker 2: That it's this kind of sport that anyone can play. So I got into it with my sister when she was heavily pregnant. She could even play it heavily pregnant because it's not it's like a tiny, mini condensed version of tennis.
Speaker 3: So the courts are really small.
Speaker 1: You're not running around, you don't run. It sounds like my idea of tennis.
Speaker 2: Well, no, you still run, but you don't have to run as much because the idea is it's in a glass box.
Speaker 4: So the ball.
Speaker 2: If you miss the ball, fine because it bounces off a glass wall, and then you keep playing.
Speaker 3: It's like playing rebound.
Speaker 1: If this sounds like when everyone got into squash for a while.
Speaker 3: There, it's squashed on steroids.
Speaker 4: It's so good. I'm so happy for you.
Speaker 1: I can't say I'm going to try it at this point in my pregnancy, but I'm thrilled for you.
Speaker 2: Let me take you to play one day. Once the baby's out. You're back on your feet because it's you'll have so much fun. And producer Grace, you know what you're coming to with that face.
Speaker 1: No, take me out for a boozy lunch, take out, a day's spar Anyway, I don't want to complain.
Speaker 3: Look on that pelvic floor. We're going to do sport.
Speaker 1: Being that it's Thursday, we do ask and Cut every Thursday, and that's where you call up with your biggest, deepest, darkest problems and we do our best to answer them. And now, what would you do, Britt if you discovered that you weren't actually your partner's type? Because that is today's conundrum. Nina, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Hi, how are you am?
Speaker 4: I doing good? How are you doing?
Speaker 5: Would be like weird?
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 3: Nina?
Speaker 5: Well, I've been with my partner for like almost a year, so eleven months, and only recently have we like you know, really like gone through like our exes or like sometimes they're like peekover when he's like on his like Instagram or whatever. And I've realized that like all of his exes and like people on the feet are like tiger like blonde girls or like very specific look and I'm like, I'm nothing for the thought. I'm curly hair, brunette, a bit taller, a bit bigger, and i just I'm like, may not this man's type. Like I don't, I feel like really insecure and read about it.
Speaker 2: Nina, I'm just gonna stop you in your tracks right here. This is an easy one for me. You've just got to think, You've just got to think he's with you, like they didn't work out, the exes didn't work out. You've been with him for a year, Like, what do you mean you're not his type? Like he's with you now? It's that's saying that you are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know. The whole thing is just kind of like weeding me out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Nina, it sounds like you're your own worst enemy.
Speaker 1: You're doing it to yourself self sabotage.
Speaker 4: But I think that, like it's okay.
Speaker 1: People often have like a type or like a you know, they have like an idea of what their type is. But then after you've dated multiple people that are your type and you realize it never works out that type, sometimes your type expands out and you date different people. I think that you know, if he's in a relationship with you for eleven months and you guys are happy, I absolutely would not be self sabotaging your relationship because you're worried that you think you're not his type. Even though he's done nothing to give you that indication.
Speaker 3: Oh, I remember, I remember dating this guy so long ago.
Speaker 2: Like we were going great, just I was leaving over in London and I remember making a mistake of looking up his X. I don't know why, and she was a literal supermodel, like she was the hottest thing you've ever seen.
Speaker 4: And I remember just.
Speaker 2: That just getting in my head, even though he wanted to date me, and I just sabotaged the entire relationship. I think we can get too caught up in like comparison culture and comparing each other.
Speaker 3: And just try to lip in the moment. You guys are happy and in love. You've been together for a year, Like, don't let someone.
Speaker 2: That he dated seven years ago ruin your relationship now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, I think I did to think about did.
Speaker 4: You bring it up with him at all?
Speaker 1: Or you've just been keeping this a secret and festering away.
Speaker 5: Well, no, I don't want to bring it up.
Speaker 4: You're like, I don't want to sound crazy. Hey, your extra You're Extra.
Speaker 3: Nineteen ninety nine was so hot that.
Speaker 4: What happened to me?
Speaker 1: Though, Nina, did you ever bring it up with your partner? Briant At the time.
Speaker 3: No, I just ended it.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's weird, too, weird, that's weird.
Speaker 3: No, I know that now.
Speaker 4: So I am my husband Matt here.
Speaker 1: He's dated some beautiful girls back in the day, gorgeous girls, and one of them is so gorgeous.
Speaker 4: One of them is so gorgeous that she is a very successful model, and she.
Speaker 1: Was like the face of an iconic sunscreen brand and they'd like double his skincare and everything else. And I was using it until like I was bringing it home and like having it on the in my bathroom cabetry and face. Yeah, and that was like I dated her, and she's on the product packaging of the and now I can't use it anymore. But I did have a moment where I got a bit wigged out because I was like, God, your exes are so hot.
Speaker 2: That's a worry, Nina. This one's easier. Just don't stalk his exes from ten years ago. Do you embrace your relationship?
Speaker 4: Know your worth?
Speaker 3: No, he's with you for just who you are right now.
Speaker 4: Know your worth.
Speaker 5: It's true.
Speaker 2: If we're going to get deep, all right, strapping, If we're going to get deep, it's because of an.
Speaker 3: Insecurity that you might not even know you have.
Speaker 2: Like if you're looking up that and then comparing yourself to a next and then you're overthinking it, that's you being insecure for whatever reason. But that's why I say, no, you're worth like he's choosing you and you guys are happy, So.
Speaker 3: Just live in that moment totally.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 4: No, thanks, Nina, that's tough.
Speaker 2: I think one of the common comments, Laura that I'm going to be fielding for quite a long time is about my relationship to my new husband Ben and the fact that we don't live together and don't live in the same country. So I get comments every day in my Instagram, like on my pictures, in my dms, Like it's a constant thing I'm dealing with.
Speaker 1: How do you deal with that when the commentary around your relationship feels negative at times?
Speaker 3: Do you know what it used to bother me?
Speaker 2: It doesn't bother me now because I know how great my relationship is, and so it's like, you know, we're married, we're happy.
Speaker 4: It suits us. It doesn't bother me.
Speaker 2: But I want to bring it up because I think people don't understand the benefits to a long distance relationship.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean you can't. I was gonna say, you can't fight.
Speaker 1: You can still fight over the phone, but like it would definitely ease some of the stresses of having to share a space with someone.
Speaker 2: Well, I live in essential a one bedroom apartment, so I can't just like kick him out and have my own sleep.
Speaker 1: But what I have.
Speaker 2: Realized now that my husband's been here for a month, it's a long time. Usually we're a few weeks at a time, or I'm over in his country in Italy. I have just realized how much I value sleep when I'm on my own, and how much better I sleep. We are not compatible in the way we sleep. We go to bed at completely different times. He needs different heats, he needs to wear different levels of clothes. He has to have his sheets out where I have to tuck them in.
Speaker 1: He sits maniac psychopath has their sheets tucked in.
Speaker 4: I do you tuck them in under.
Speaker 1: Your mattress and you and you get into a tucked in bed.
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh, I'm so constricting.
Speaker 1: I need to like pull everything out and just like have it loosely flapping over me in the wind.
Speaker 4: No, that is the worst I can sleep with better than you.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, come on.
Speaker 4: Over then, Laura, he's all your.
Speaker 2: You don't tuck your sheeting. But it's called it's a fitted sheet.
Speaker 4: I hate it. I hate it. No, the fitted sheet obviously tucked and that's on the ballot.
Speaker 3: It's well, I mean it's a top sheet, but it's still made to.
Speaker 4: Be tucked in. Awful, horrible.
Speaker 3: Can you google grace if they're made to be touched.
Speaker 4: I feel like somebody's put me in a straight jacket.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is the problem we have. Fill me in. I can't believe I didn't know this about you.
Speaker 2: If the sheet isn't tucked in, your legs are just willing nearly and you're rolling around.
Speaker 3: Don't you get yourself like all tangled.
Speaker 2: I can't get out of bed in the morning because it's like, I mean, my legs are in a not because the sheet's everywhere.
Speaker 4: It's like, I hate it. Nah nah, I'm on Bend's side with that one.
Speaker 1: But what else, Like, I mean, Ben's very very tall, like that's probably he takes up a lot of bed space.
Speaker 4: Yeah, got a bed.
Speaker 2: Real Estate's six for five. He takes up the entire bed. So we have electric blankets that are like.
Speaker 3: Down the middle where one's on and one's off.
Speaker 2: I put mine on heat at the start, and then I turn it off just so it's lukewarm.
Speaker 4: He will have his, so it's like I'm in a pool of sweat. It is so hot.
Speaker 2: He puts air conditioning on about twenty six degrees like I feel like I'm going to pass out.
Speaker 3: He wakes up really late. I wake up really early, like people.
Speaker 2: People don't realize how much sleep compatibility is a thing.
Speaker 1: What do you do when you're married and you realize that you're not sleep compatible. I think that what ends up happening is that someone ends up going and sleeping in another room eventually.
Speaker 2: Well, I also think that that's what we probably need to normalize. I know so many people that don't sleep in the same room as their partner. I don't only sleep in the same country as my partner.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 1: I think that people would probably be able to get their heads around it more if you were sleeping just in separate rooms rather than separate countries.
Speaker 2: I think it's called sleep divorce, where it's like you're in love and happy in together, but you just realize your life is more beneficial when you're sleeping separately to your partner.
Speaker 1: I think that there's a lot of I don't want to be like there's a lot of stigma around it, because I don't.
Speaker 4: Think anyone's really stigmatizing it.
Speaker 1: But I think that people who don't do it have a perception around it that if you choose to sleep in a separate bed to your partner, that there must be something wrong with the relationship, or it's like the death of your intimacy, or all those sorts of things. But I mean, I think about my grandparent to be fair, I don't know if they are very intimate towards their old age rest in peace, but they slept in separate bedrooms for got like thirty years and.
Speaker 4: They were very happily married.
Speaker 1: I struggle with this one though, because as much as I really really love a cuddle and love sleeping in the bed next to my husband, I also find him really challenging.
Speaker 4: We spoke about a couple weeks ago.
Speaker 1: He sleeps with his elbows out, like he's trying to protect himself from what. I don't know, but I don't think I could entertain the idea of sleeping in separate rooms. We also don't have any separate rooms because they've.
Speaker 4: All got kids in them or mother in law's or dogs. But totally, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know how I feel about it, because yes, I think it's fine. Yes, I think it's normal. I know so many people do and it doesn't mean the death of a relationship. But I would think I would struggle with it, so I suffer through.
Speaker 2: Did you guys ever sleep in separate beds when you had like Marley and Lola, like your first two kids with their little so that one could get more sleep or you don't know.
Speaker 1: We played musical beds though, So what would happen is like if Marley got into our bed and also Lola was in, then Matt would get up and he'd go and sleep in one of the kid's beds. So like we would just like rotate around the house.
Speaker 3: Yes, so you essentially slept in different beds.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but it wasn't that the plan, wasn't that. It was only if like the nighttime sleeping went really wrong. Okay, I have a question for you, and no judgment. It is a genuine question.
Speaker 4: How do you think you're going to.
Speaker 1: Go when you are one hundred percent in each other's company all the time?
Speaker 4: Oh think fine, Okay. I was like trying to say, oh, it's give me terrible clear.
Speaker 3: We're so compatible, We're just not sleep. We have different ideas of what a good night's sleep is.
Speaker 1: Vin Diesel has caused a little bit of a stir recently because he has come out talking about the next installment of Fast and the Furious. So there's been ten and the last film that was created was a two part series, right, so they know that there's a second one coming. It's been scheduled for twenty twenty seven. However, recently, at a thing called fuel Fest, Vin Diesel came out and said there's three conditions of which he will bring back Fast and the Furious and do the final installment.
Speaker 4: Now, the main one that people.
Speaker 1: Are up in arms about is that he has said that he thinks that Paul Walker should be brought back to life by using AI techology and start in the film. This has also been I guess approved or it's had like, you know, the nod of approval from Paul Walker's estate, which is his daughter, and also his brothers.
Speaker 4: Because this fuel Fest car festival.
Speaker 1: Thing is actually run by Paul Walker's brother, so they're all kind of you know, okay with it. It really does raise the question should we be using AI to bring people back from the dead.
Speaker 2: Just to nut that out a little bit, Laura, the studios have been begging him to do the final installment.
Speaker 3: He didn't want to do it.
Speaker 2: He has said he will only do it if Paul comes back, so not like he's not hoping for it. He is saying may but that's an ultimatum. Yeah, one hundred percent. But he's a producer as well. Vin Diesel like basically owns that franchise. And it's interesting because out of all ten of The Fast and the Furious is the highest grossing of any film was film number seven, which is the film that Paul Walker passed away in. So Paul filmed half of that tragically passed away. Then they see gid him and used stunt doubles with his brothers to finish the film, and then it was sort of.
Speaker 3: Like everyone was moving on.
Speaker 2: So it's a bit of a moral conundrum here about, Okay, is it okay then to bring someone back from the dead when they don't have any authority over how their image is used in what capacity what they're doing in a film. They obviously can't benefit from it.
Speaker 4: Is it okay?
Speaker 2: Just because their family, daughter friends said it's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I guess like also, I mean, the thing with AI is it's moved so quickly, and the legislation and all the rules around it haven't really caught up with how quickly it's moved. I don't think that there's been a situation where the family and friends and everyone else who's been surrounding like a legacy piece like Fast and Furious has said, yeah, you know what, this is a great idea, let's bring him back. And it's very different to say when they seegid the ending of Fast and Furious seven, And the reason for that is is because that was to end the show. They had a really lovely goodbye. The show ended, Paul went off, and he drove his car off into the distance. This would be completely manufacturing a new script, all new facial expressions, like it would be holding a person from the ground up using all archival information but not archival footage, right. And I guess for me, the reason why I felt so weird when I read this, it's not because I don't think that Vin Diesel and Meadow, which is Paul's daughter, they'll do the right thing by him. They're not gonna have him doing awful things on screen or things that he wouldn't be necessarily okay with. But it does make you question who owns the image of someone once they pass away. And we talked about this on Life on Cut podcast. But Britt, if you drop dead, would it be okay for me to see GI or AI a version of you?
Speaker 4: And we can continue to do the pick up because they're really inconvenient to replace you.
Speaker 3: Nah, put my face on like Rosy Huntings and Whitley or something. Though, like, if you're gonna do it, do it well, okay.
Speaker 1: But the other question is so we can say, oh, we don't think he's going to be doing anything that he wouldn't have normally done, does that mean that the AI version of Paul Walker can come back in fast and Furious and do a sex scene?
Speaker 4: Like is that okay?
Speaker 1: Especially if there's no parameters around the rules and the I just think the whole I think so weird.
Speaker 4: We don't want to see it.
Speaker 2: I imagine it's going to be like he is going to do nothing wrong. They're not going to have sex scenes. They're going to make him do drugs. They're not going to what it's going. I feel like they're going to make him look like a hero in a way to honor him.
Speaker 3: It is Vindi's was his best friend.
Speaker 2: And just to answer your question in relation to who owns an image, we did a bit of researching this and I think it's interesting.
Speaker 3: The creators of the AI image.
Speaker 2: So even though it is Paul Walker's likeness, it's his face on a cgi body, it still belongs to the creator. So whoever created the image owns it, but they can't use it for publicity purposes. So whilst they own it, they still need to get approval from that person's in this case a state. The estate is his daughter, Meadow, so they had to go to her to say, hey, do you approve us using this? So it has been a big collaborative I.
Speaker 1: Just I understand that, but I also I just don't know if an estate, or if family or if best friends should have a right to say yes, it's okay to use a complete the AI generated version of the person that's passed away that they cannot consent to.
Speaker 4: That they are literally dead and have been for over a decade.
Speaker 2: Well, Meadow is obviously going to benefit financially as well, because is a fishery of the estate. I just think it's such an ethical minefield to try and navigate, and like, where do you draw the line if you say, well, this one's okay because it's family and friends who are doing it.
Speaker 1: Can we bring back child actors who have passed away? Can we bring back music?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: There's are so many variations, and they think that unless the legislation and the laws catch up. I don't know whether we should just be making concessions for friends and family because we want to see out fast and furious.
Speaker 4: There's been ten of them.
Speaker 3: No, if you pass away another one, I one hundred percent need this as an income. I'm going to keep doing it. I'm just going to find someone else, all right.
Speaker 4: Well, guys, that is it from us today.