Speaker 1: Laura.
Speaker 2: Come on, hello, Welcome to Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Hi girls, Hello Tuesday. Everyone. We're all so deep in the games, because I know I am.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well you were talking about you're watching on the all the different random sports time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm not here for the mainstream stuff. I'm here for all the weird, weird things like handball. I know, but it's so weird and I'm so into it. Skateboarding also kind of weird. Break dancing is a sport of the Games now. It's it's look. I find it very entertaining. But I don't want to watch the normal stuff. I just want to watch the things you don't get to see.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I've been loving the swimming and watching the Matilda's just get through in that last game against Zambia.
Speaker 1: That was incredible.
Speaker 2: He's games hacks everyone. If you have STAN, we can get STAN. You can watch the games on stand and you can go through. They've got like a curated timetable. So I sat there with my parents last night. You can watch the water polo, you can watch your swimming, you can go and watch the horse racing, the equestrian and it's all in built into Stand. You don't have to watch one channel and hope they're playing the sport you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty cool, isn't it. Also if you ever get into it. The skateboarding. We have a fourteen year old girl, her name's Chloe. She's Australian and she's competing the Olympics. She on Sunday night. I think it was she got out in one of her races or competitions. They even know what you call it, but it's amazing, amazing. I think they're called heat, is it whatever. I'm clearly very sport literate. People come to me for all the updated sport news.
Speaker 2: That got me. When I was watching, I screamed and was shouting at the TV when some Aussie swimmer won and I was like, she won gold, she won gold, it was a heat. I didn't know how that works.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's embarrassing. Realize and you should watch Stand and maybe you'll get your head around here.
Speaker 2: It's all on Stand. It's now streaming only on Stand. Hey, joining us today. We've got Samantha Jays coming up.
Speaker 1: Oh we love Sammy. You've got a brand new song out. We're going to be playing that later on too. Yeah yeah, look, and also coming up now, my beautiful husband, Matty Jay has really look, he's created a bit of a friendship rift for us over the weekend. It was a real shitty situation. One might say, I see what you're doing there. Yeah, but he's ruined. He's ruined a friendship and I'm not. I'm not happy about it, all seriousness. It's quite bad going downhill down the drain. Anyway, that's next, you're on the pickup. We'll good to Tuesday now. I love my husband Matt and I don't like saying bad things about him on this radio show because it always comes back to bite me in the but here we are, but here we are another day, another story, Laura, you love it. So on the weekend he did something which he should be so embarrassed about. But I also have secondhand embarrassment because I'm married to the man, a very good friend of ours. They're doing a renovation near us at the moment, and they have totally gutted the inside of their house. But they've done like the new floor plan and layout of like how the house is going to be. Because it's only just down the road from us. They were like, look, go get the keys. It's hidden in this spot go let yourself in with for you to see how the house is going to be laid out. It was so nice. So on Sunday we went and we got the keys and we went through the house and like Matt had had a pretty big day on Saturday because we'd had a bit of a birthday surprise for him, so he was quite hungover and we rocked up and he was eating a Guzman and Gomez burrito and his triple shot latte. Anyway, this is just a cosmetic renovation. So we get on site and like the toilets and stuff are still there. There's no there's no portal loose, there's no anything. And you walk into the first bathroom and there's toilet paper there, so you would assume that that's the toilet that like all of the like all of the builders and stuff are using. So Matt, I'm in the kitchen and Matt goes, I'm just gonna go use bathroom and he runs off. I'm not joking. Like half an hour later he comes out and he is white as a ghost, and I was like, what's happened? And he goes, I didn't I didn't check, But there's no water in the cistern. He just did a giant turd in our friend's toilet, and there was not a single drop in the bottom of that toilet, not a drop in the system. All the water on the property had been turned off.
Speaker 3: And it's also a burrito coffee too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one. What do you do? What do you do?
Speaker 1: If pick it up with the plastic bag, you get it out of there. You can't leave it in there.
Speaker 2: No, see, I'm not actually that stress like. What I would do is I'd go find running water, like a local creek or a river, or we're in BONDI great, the ocean. Go to the ocean, get it, get a tup of air, fill it and fill it up. And then because the toilet will still flush, you just gotta fill it up.
Speaker 1: This is the whole for the toilet to flush. The whole system has to be full. You gotta bring liters of water.
Speaker 2: You get your bucket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, he didn't do that. He just covered it in toilet paper. He covered it in toilet paper, padded it down.
Speaker 2: What do you mean, pad it?
Speaker 1: You don't know, cover it. He covered it in toilet.
Speaker 2: Paper, and he told you so you saw it with the door open hard. He tried padding as you tried the Hi, honey, great, I've just googled it.
Speaker 1: Pat it guys, it gets worse. So then what do you do.
Speaker 4: It's so obvious that it has to be us, Like, no one else has been in this house except for Matt and myself. So I made him call our friend and tell her what had happened, and she was humiliated.
Speaker 1: She's like, I'm not telling the builder. Here's the builder's email. You have to email him and let him know that you did the poo in the toilet. That's so last night I'm sitting there at dinner with my husband writing an email about how he did a poo in the toilet.
Speaker 2: I've done that once at a metric on like open house. You did not.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I was a kid, true story, My family were going to build a project home and we went looking at the projects and I was like ten, and I just no one tells kids that these homes aren't real. That's ridiculous, spy.
Speaker 1: There was no water in the bottom, and you were like, cool, let's go.
Speaker 2: I did a full on turd in the and then left and that It's only until I got my car Mom's like, anyone need to go to the loom. I've been there, done that, Mom. I went in in show Hold number twelve. By the way, let me get it. I love it. Comfy toilet, Okay, joining us next, everybody. Oh, Samantha Jade. We love Sammy. She's killing it.
Speaker 1: She's got perfect.
Speaker 2: Tens on dancing.
Speaker 1: I sing that I can't relate to because when I had my moment on Dancing with the Stars, I don't think I got above a five. We actually lip red you swearing on screen. Laura, very very different experiences. I wasn't good, but she is, and that's all the matters.
Speaker 2: She's amazing. She's got a brand new song. It's so good. We'll give a spin. We'll Chad to send me after this on the Bindo. Listen, We're blessed by an Australian icon in the studio today Girls two point three million sales worldwide, streamed over ninety one million times. You can watch her on Dancing with the Stars currently on Channel seven. Maybe a brand new single. Let's quite your attention. It's about the jay.
Speaker 1: Hi, guys, welcome to the studio.
Speaker 3: Look, we're going to get into Dancing with the Stars. In a minute, because we love watching you on that and you mean absolutely killing it.
Speaker 1: But first talk to us about Peachy, this brand new song. What was the insco behind it?
Speaker 2: Do you know what?
Speaker 5: I was so excited to go in and write because I hadn't put out a song in ages, like it's been two years, I think since I put out something. But I when we went to the studio, I was like, I want to write something really pop and really fun and really happy. And I'd just kind of written the Christmas song and same kind of vibe, like just that really pop, nostalgic. It sounds like the two thousands, that kind of thing. And it was the chords actually, we had these like chords that like that kind of like and it sounds that you've heard it before. And I was like, let's just write something really really fun. And then we had every lyric except that now I'm saying life is and it was that line and Morgan the producer goes Peachy, and I was like, I love that because that just kind of burts a whole new idea, like the artwork and everything now is going to be so fun.
Speaker 1: You say you took two years off between releasing songs. What was why for the break? What was the reason behind that.
Speaker 5: I just was like, you know, I'd put something out and then I wasn't not not inspired, but I'd written some songs and I was like, they're they're not it, They're not good enough. And I never want to put something out just to put it out, you know. I want to put something out that I really really love. So I just my time with it.
Speaker 1: Do you not have pressure though from the record labels?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like to be able to keep creating. How do you push back on that? And you're like, Okay, I wrote something that I don't want anyone to hear it. Yeah, I've done that before.
Speaker 5: And they're like, so you won't just even descend it, And I'm like no, because if then if they like it, then they'll be like, we should put it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think that's so interesting. Do you get pressure from the music labels as well? And you see it on TikTok but artists that are forced to make tiktoks and then you watch them and they're so inauthentic and you've got Mike Buble like doing a dance and you're like, you're a dad man. Does the label go like Sam, get up there and you post your TikTok, put a little booty shot on and do a tiktoka.
Speaker 1: They used to.
Speaker 5: I'm really lucky now that I'm kind of in control of all of that, but yeah, I used to like have a social media manager at the label and be like, hey, you need to do this, you need to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I'd be.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, really, when you're creating songs or you're coming up with a new idea, does any part of you have TikTok in mind? And the reason I say that is we were speaking to Meghan Trader not that long ago and she was like, look, I almost owe TikTok to my revamp because one of the kid's been viral. So now there are artists that are actually taking that into consideration, do you.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, well, yeah you kind of have to because TikTok's such a huge platform for music now. And I feel like, as well, it's if you do have a chorus that you feel like lends itself to that world, it's not a bad thing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, definitely, I don't.
Speaker 5: It's not like front of mine. But I'm like, afterwards, I always think, what's the TikTok part going to be, you know, because it's always a part of.
Speaker 1: It, which is the dance party. Yeah, yeah, exactly. Speaking of dance, how are you finding Dancing with the Stars at the moment, because you've just had a perfect ten out of ten score, I can't relate. L knows something about Laura was.
Speaker 2: On last season. For anyone that missed it, you really don't need to rewatch. You just need to know that she was described as a praying mantis on asset. But that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Craig, who is not particularly very kind. No, you would if you watch. He was so mean and then he said, Laura, you're kind of like moving a lot, and you remind me of a praying manton acid. But you can't relate to that because you've gotten a perfect score.
Speaker 5: I just know when it gets to him, I'm like, okay, I'm just gonna get gonna get it over and done with. Give me the mean comments. But I've really trained, really really hard. I mean, Gaestabo, my dance partner, was an incredible teacher, especially with Latin, like he taught me. I mean even just like it was like heels off, we're gonna get our feet into the ground and you know how they kind of start from like you have to connect with the floor. And it was like really intense training and very very hard. But and I was at times going like what are we doing? And then when it got to the day, I was like, oh, I get what he was doing now because it is in my head.
Speaker 2: We adore you, Sam. The new song Peachy is out now so fine, like perfect, especially with the live of music at the moment, it fits right in. And keep watching Sam Dancing with the Stars next Sunday, August four, seven pm on Channel seven and seven Place. We'll see you soon. Sam.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Listen. If you're a regular listener of The Pickup, you will know that I host the show with you Laura Embrit and I am a young I'm the youngest radio presenter ever. It's really groundbreaking in history.
Speaker 3: Yea ever ever in the history of radio presenters. You're twenty seven years old. We do have a good.
Speaker 2: Ten eight and I don't want to double down on that.
Speaker 1: It's really remarkable just how much you've achieved in such a short life.
Speaker 2: Mitch Well, I am gen Z and you guys are uma right you Oh.
Speaker 1: We're not boomers.
Speaker 3: As one of my best friends, Mitch, I can honestly hint on heart say I do not notice the age difference ninety five percent of the time, and then every now and again you've got no idea what I'm referring to, and then I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, that's right.
Speaker 2: Listen today, Tuesday, the thirtieth of July.
Speaker 1: Put it in your calendar.
Speaker 2: It's announcing this Generational GAT Guide. It's a little guy and listen. You can use the guide Britain, Laura. If you want to bring something to the table that you know, I know, World War One, or something that you want me to know about that you were around for. I will then bring things that gen z to talking about, the cultures talking about, and we can guide each other through them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sure, I can't wait to be offended by this break.
Speaker 2: Well. Today we're talking about the phenomenon that is the Brat Summer. Philly want brats to run this country. They already do enough damage.
Speaker 3: You don't understand the essence of Brat summer.
Speaker 2: Okay, stand corrected, Brat summer.
Speaker 1: What was that from? What was that interview?
Speaker 2: That was from the news? Brat Summer is going very viral? That was from the news.
Speaker 1: It was so informative. What kind of news you get yours from?
Speaker 2: TikTok?
Speaker 1: So? What news?
Speaker 2: Was it? Fox News?
Speaker 1: Actually, oh, I definitely don't get my news from there, so I wouldn't have known.
Speaker 3: I will put my hand up and admit something that I'm not proud of. But I actually have no idea what a bratt summary.
Speaker 1: I have seen this making the rounds because I know everyone's been calling Kamala Harris a brat, but I you know, and in a positive way, like it sounds like it would be a negative. I saw it and I didn't know what it meant, and now.
Speaker 2: I hate you. This is so funny to just watch.
Speaker 1: Let's have a guessing game. Is it short for something?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not?
Speaker 1: No, I think where did it come from?
Speaker 2: Well, I can tell you know. You guys want to know. This isn't to pits against each other. This is an educational tool. Brat Summer comes from the artist Charlie. Yeah, I love them. You know the Apple dance at the moment everyone's doing the Apple dance.
Speaker 1: Love him them him.
Speaker 2: I was like, hey, I actually don't know. Is a British artist. Her latest album is Brat and the marketing for Brat is Neon Green with the word brat. That's it's so simple, it's so ridiculous, and it's a viral album. Everyone are loving it. But it has sort of become the album for gen Z and we have reclaimed the title of a Brat Summer. You know, we love the album. Bratt is a state of mind. Brat isn't a person. It's not You're a brat. You're being naughty, you're being rude. Brat is it's empowering. You're a bit brash, You're com Harris, Kamala Harris. It has become so big that big brands and corporations or the presidential nominee in the United States have embraced it and are using it for their marketing campaigns.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I look at you and I've never felt older. That's what's how you use that in a sentence.
Speaker 3: Okay, So would you be like you're going to have the bradiest summer?
Speaker 1: No, I think it's brat summer. Like you wouldn't say yeah, you say braddiest when you let extra cool.
Speaker 2: So I actually think you too can relate to a brat because the actual definition from Charlie is a braddy girl is a girl who is a bit loves to party, maybe says dumb things. Sometimes she's honest, blunt and a little bit volatile. That's brat. That is not Kamala Harris. That that was the very first generational gap guide here on the Pickup, I challenge you girls to bring me one.
Speaker 1: Okay, I will next show, I'll think of something that you would have no idea what it is that it's going to be a millennial staple.
Speaker 2: Can't wait for that TBC on the Pickup, Well We're going home jeans. If you missed any of the show, Samantha Jade was with us. We had a full extended chat too. She stayed for a bit after the interview. The full thing is on the Pickup podcast.
Speaker 1: If you don't know who she is, she is in her brat era. Well, God, who