Speaker 1: All right, guys. In the world of trashy reality TV, there is a lot of it on the TV at the moment. I mean maths. We're seeing the drama, drama, drama. But there is another reality TV show that when it first came on the screens that absolutely stole everyone's heart. And I have gotten addicted to it again because it has just been released on Netflix and now the Australian version that is there, the US version, and it's called Love on the Spectrum. Oh my love, this wholesome.
Speaker 2: TV show that has ever exists.
Speaker 1: It's honestly so beautiful and I think also it's such an insight into how other people date, how other people live, and how everyone kind of interacts. But some of the stats around this is so interesting. So one in seveny Australians are on the autism spectrum. And also this TV show is Emmy Award winning. Now it's brilliant. If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend going and watching it. But we have joining us today Jodie Rodgers. She is a sex ologist. She's one of the counselors and the she's the relationship coach that's on this TV show. And like I said, It's very different to maths relationship coaches, where they're there and they're creating the drama. She's there really helping these individuals on the show date and find real love and real connections. It's so special. God, what a job I know. Jody, Welcome to the pick up.
Speaker 3: Hello, how are you going? Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 2: It's so nice to speak to you again. We spoke to you a little while ago on our podcast Life on Cut.
Speaker 3: That is right. I've just thought how quickly the world turns? Is the last.
Speaker 2: And now we're speaking to you here in the radio. We love Love on the Spectrum even more now than we did when we spoke to you. Why do you think Love on the Spectrum has catapulted to one of the most watched reality TV shows.
Speaker 3: I think there's a couple of reasons. I think one because people really relate to it, so, you know, even my way, it's really educational for the broader community about the diversity of autism. But it allows people to see themselves, allows that connection with people that they may not have even thought that they had things in common with. And I think all all of us know how complex dating is, so you know, many people just come out and say, oh, that's like me, or I do that, or that's where I've experienced. So I think that's one. But the other one is all the people who were on the show, the autistic people who are on the show. It's just so authentically themselves, and I think people can really see that.
Speaker 1: It's really different, isn't it when you see so many people these days go on reality TV shows for Instagram followers, and then you watch love on the spectrum and people are actually there for relationships, so to make connections. Jody, with your experience, I mean coming from being a sexologist and then being a relationship counselor what made you want to work with people who in you're a divergent.
Speaker 3: I've really worked with people with disabilities my whole life. But probably the biggest thing for me is the fact that when I started hanging out with autistic people, I was learning so much about a different way of seeing the world or a different perspective, and me to just open my eyes up completely to just how truly diverse we all are. And so I'll just keep learning. You know, I'm thirty years in and I'm still going, oh, I I never thought that I never knew. So yeah, I just love the fact that every single day I'll get my mind open to a different as the world.
Speaker 2: I think genuinely, like I've watched all the Aussie seasons, I've watched all the American seasons because I genuinely love the show, and I think we can all learn a lot from the way people on the spectrum interacts, Like I often I watch their interactions when they're like, Hey, I don't like you anymore, so honesty, like let's just be friends, And I'm like, man, if only every guy I ever dated just said that, it goes to me. But I have relationships in my life with people that are on the spectrum, and I learned so much from the shows in helping me understand them better and the way that I connect with them better. And you have just written a new book called Unique. What autism can teach us about different connection and belonging is that who have you aimed that at? Have you aimed at that at? Literally anybody that is interested in forming those connections?
Speaker 3: Everybody? Yeah, everybody, But in one way, you know, I read somebody had written the other day saying, I think this is Jodie's love letter to autism, and it really is. It's a celebration of all the autistic people in my life, but it's really for everybody because in my lifetime what has also happened with me is that autistic people have allowed me to understand one myself, but also every person in my life. And so it's really a book where it's all short stories, like you literally could pick it up at any point and just look at part of the way humans interact all of us. But it's really a story to say, you know, this is an experience I've had as an autistic person which has made me rethink all of my relationships with every single person I've come across, and how beautiful and wonderful that is. The teachers in my life are people that are many many people would consider to be so different, but yeah, there've been the people that have taught me about connection and relationships.
Speaker 1: That'd be a good reason.
Speaker 3: So beautiful that's required reading. I think Unique available tomorrow, Jody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people can grab it very soon.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it's going to be all the book. Go and pick it.
Speaker 1: Up, Jody Rogers. Everyone from Love on the Spectrum, thanks for coming on the pickup.
Speaker 3: We do. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Love let's get out of here.
Speaker 3: We're done for the day.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: She's so cute, isn't she. She's so remarkable. Honestly, the show is brilliant. It's so much fun.
Speaker 3: All Right, let's go.
Speaker 1: We'll see tomorrow. Goodbye, guys,